BOB GREEN NEW DIRECTOR OF AMATEUR FREE AGENT SCOUTING

The Edmonton Oilers announced Bob Green as the head of amateur scouting this morning in a confusing press release. The release says “he will work closely with the Oilers’ hockey operations department and amateur scouting staff and will assist with identifying and recruiting NCAA, CHL and select European free agents”, implying he will in fact be looking for 20-year old or older players who have passed through the draft.

The disconnect: his title suggests he has sweeping powers that would include all amateur procurement (and the draft), but the statement in italics suggests a more narrow view based on players who are no longer draft eligible.

At moments like these, it’s important not to overreact. So, I am currently making a protest sign with giant “WTF STU?” on it, will be protesting until dark. :-)

19 Responses to "BOB GREEN NEW DIRECTOR OF AMATEUR FREE AGENT SCOUTING"

1. GordM says:

Ha…love the internet…apparently the “&” was a typo in the announcement which lead to all the confusion.

Good on the Oilers for investing more non-cap $s in areas that can hopefully provide a lift to the on-ice product.

2. Truth says:

I believe his title was just clarified to Director of Amateur Free Agent Scouting, as per Twitter.

3. Truth says:

Agree on the move. When buying optics for a new rifle they always say to spend at least the amount of the rifle itself. More money and effort spent in acquiring the talent can only help.

4. supernova says:

this is a great move and a great hire.

This is the type of move that can turn teams from pretenders to perennial contenders.

We wont see this pay off immediately but this move could have payoffs for years.

I would say with his knowledge of the young players in the WHL he will obviously help the amateur side even if it is different roles.

Could be the best move of the summer.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

In case anyone missed it in the other thread. this move isn’t related to Stu really. It is a replacement of MacT’s old job and a recognition of the importance of procuring FAs from a variety of places (esp. in the cap world).

“My day-to-day stuff has been to keep a handle on the top 60 draft eligible players, tracking the kids we’ve drafted and seeing what their development is and where they fit in, as well as keeping an eye on free agents in the CHL and NCAA. Even during the lockout I had plenty to do.

“I’ve taken trips to Finland, Sweden and the Czech Republic and Slovakia and I’ve been following our farm teams, of course. I’ll be in Austin, Texas, this weekend to watch Oklahoma City play two games. It’s all big-picture stuff.”

6. regwald says:

I think Green did a pretty amazing job building the Oil Kings the past few years. A Memorial Cup birth and one series short last season. Not sure they have the scoring punch to be a top team this season, but the group of dmen that have come through the doors and players drafted is pretty notable.

I wonder who the Oilers bring in to take over the reigns for the Oil Kings.

7. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

this will help the pro scouting department with trades and FA signings. With Green have alot of knowledge of all the WHL players in the AHL and NHL.

Not a replacement for Stu but a fantastic addition of a tool in the player procurement department.

8. supernova says:

regwald,

would think Randy Hansch has the inside track being Green’s right hand man

9. regwald says:

supernova,

I wonder if the Oilers think he is ready. I believe you are right, in that he is the heir apparent. The challenge he will have is restocking the cupboard when he loses the core of his defence to the AHL as well as his top scorers.

10. supernova says:

regwald,

IMHO would be suprised that they would hire Green, if they didn’t think they had a capable replacement for OK.

Maybe Coach Laxdal gets in on it as well but Hansch has plenty of experience he has been around Junior or professional hockey since he was a junior player. Seems more than qualified.

I am sure that Green and Stu will also be there to help.

11. sliderule says:

There will be another press conference within a year announcing the new director af amateur and free agent scouting Green.
    As I have said before Kelowna is not Mexico but a GM should have his director of scouting very close to him preferably in the next office.

12. supernova says:

sliderule:
    There will be another press conference within a year announcing the new director af amateur and free agent scoutingGreen.

sliderule,

I don’t know that you are too far off but a couple things.

1) you don’t want your Director of Scouting in a office, you want him in as many rinks as possible. Kelowna has a Junior franchise, a OK airport and good access to other Junior teams and junior leagues (BCHL)
    2) I think it could be quite possible that Stu retains his role but Bob Green becomes his boss.
    3) I think we meet see a shift in Pro Scouting before too much more happens in Amateur scouting
    4) Possible that in a year or so, Green takes on a more pronounced role in Amateur and Stu helps out more in Pro department.

Stu and Green seemed to cooperate awfully well on Gernat and Pelss.

14. bookje says:

No, it’s Assistant TO THE Regional Manager, not Assistant Regional Manager.

15. regwald says:

Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee 1h

You can bet the farm Randy Hansch will be named new Oil Kings GM Thursday. Asst to Green since 2007 and long-time scout. Paid his dues.

From Brownlee more or less confirming the comments above.

16. Melman says:

Always a good move to add experienced talent to player procurement. I think we’re still a couple years away from evaluating Stu fairly. The # 1′s have been solid – Taylor OVER Tyler – Pitlick and Hamilton seemed like good bets at the time, Harski and Rajala have exceeded expectations.

What is Gare’s history (I just don’t know) but it has been foreverrrrrrrrrr since the pro scouting group came up with anything close to break even let alone a win. They have been part of the problem, not the solution. It seems like the flames should be higher under their chairs

17. Racki says:

I love this for the Oilers, but this is not good news for my Oil Kings. Sucks that he won’t be GM there anymore. Not sure who they have lined up to replace him, but they have big shoes to fill.

Edit: Regwald called it, via Brownlee. Spirits looking up.

18. jfry says:

From Mact’s description of what he did last year and his first moves, signing miller and chasing several other NCAA players, it would seem that he sees significant opportunity and value in finding this type of player. To me this would represent another in a line of money puck type ideas.

jfry:
    From Mact’s description of what he did last year and his first moves, signing miller and chasing several other NCAA players, it would seem that he sees significantopportunity and value in finding this type of player. To me this would represent another in a line of money puck type ideas.

Agree completely. I like this move.