COMPARING LISTS

The Copper and Blue gents have completed their prospect list this week, and it gives us a chance to have a look at each voter’s view of the current crop of hopefuls. I like the C&B way, although including the “under 25″ is a bit confusing for me (I’m old, old people like consistency–you’ll understand why when you get here); so, here’s their tweaked list of prospects (players under 50 NHL games played, or in the case of Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz, one complete NHL season) using my rules (and with my number in brackets).

1. Darnell Nurse (1)
  2. Oscar Klefbom (2)
  3. Martin Marincin (3)
  4. Martin Gernat (5)
  5. Jujhar Khaira (6)
  6. Dillon Simpson (10)
  7. Marco Roy (4)
  8. Toni Rajala (9)
  9. David Musil (15)*
  10. Anton Slepyshev (7)
  11. Bogdan Yakimov (8)
  12. Brandon Davidson (16)
  13. Mark Arcobello (17)
  26. Frans Tuohimaa (27)
  27. Mitchell Moroz (14)–
  28. Travis Ewanyk (nr)
  29. Tyler Bunz (nr)
  30. Curtis Hamilton (nr)

Among the players I had in my top 30 who are not ranked by C&B:

• #11–Anton Belov (doesn’t qualify due to age)
  • #12–Taylor Fedun (doesn’t quality due to age)
  • #28–Phil Cornet (no longer in the organization)
  • #29–Ryan Martindale (C&B had him at #40)
  • #30–Kale Kessy (C&B had him at #41)

The lists are more similar than I would have thought just by reading them–we agree on 25 players out of 30, and the disagreements begin at #28. Two of the players C&B excluded from their list weren’t included by definition of their list, and two of their players (Hunt and Moffie) weren’t signed when I made my list.

Basically, the C&B boys are stronger on Travis Ewanyk, Tyler Bunz and Curtis Hamilton than I am, and my list prefers Phil Cornet, Ryan Martindale and Kale Kessy. Not a huge difference from my point of view. Finally, C&B ranked Musil, Gustafsson, Olivier Roy, Pitlick and McCarron 5 or more picks higher than my list. I have Kyle Platzer and Mitch Moroz ranked 5 or more slots higher than C&B. There is a difference, but I don’t think there’s a trend or anything. Honestly, it looks for all the world like we’re have a big old disagreement about which Oil Kings are going to make the grade and that’s not a lot  of disagreement.

Either way, Copper and Blue remains a terrific read daily. I’ll do a comparison with the COH when they get their list completed just for giggles. My summer top 30 is here.

13 Responses to "COMPARING LISTS"

1. LMHF#1 says:

I’ve yet to see anything from Ewanyk that suggests he will ever even sniff the NHL.

Miracles happen I suppose, and there is such thing as a late bloomer…but I wouldn’t bet on it.

With that said, their Moroz rating is much more appropriate. I have this random thought that the Oil Kings trade Moroz (and something, presumably) to Everett for Khaira, which would be thoroughly amusing.

COH had him at #17, which is in line with my ranking. So, two of the blogs like him, and if you take out the Willis/McCurdy portion of the Moroz C&B number he’d be far, far below. It’s going to be interesting.

3. BlacqueJacque says:

I find it interesting that Nurse is ranked above Klefbom on both lists. Granted, Nurse is supposed to have a higher ceiling, at least offensively, but the way the Oilers have been salivating over Klefbom for two years now, he looks like much more of a sure thing than Nurse does.

4. Hammers says:

I prefer ranking players once the turn pro as many of them fall of the grid once they are out of junior or NCAA . The Oilers have had many of those on the last few lists as well as this year . The pro group then includes not only N/A but the Europeans as allthough young they have played against men . Both your list & C&B have 9-10 that for me still need to prove there ranking . Our teams have seen 1st rd picks not make it . Guranteed some of those on these lists having never played a pro game won’t make it .. It’s good information but no more .

BlacqueJacque:
    I find it interesting that Nurse is ranked above Klefbom on both lists.Granted, Nurse is supposed to have a higher ceiling, at least offensively, but the way the Oilers have been salivating over Klefbom for two years now, he looks like much more of a sure thing than Nurse does.

Two reasons for me:

1. Nurse does appear to have some offensive potential
    2. Klefbom’s injuries make him less likely to have a long career

6. Young Oil says:

The way that our top D prospects are tracking, and assuming they stay healthy and are not traded, is it realistic to think that Klefbom, Nurse, and Marincin will be part of the Oiler top 6 (or 7-8) in three years time? If so, throwing Schultz Jr in that mix, is there any team that has made the playoffs in the past few years that have had 4 of their top 7 defencemen being 25 years old or younger?

7. D says:

LT

Is there any chance that Bunz pulls out of his tailspin and makes a legitimate run at the NHL? Or is he realistically done as a prospect?

I would really like to see him pull it together.

D:
    LT

Is there any chance that Bunz pulls out of his tailspin and makes a legitimate run at the NHL?Or is he realistically done as a prospect?

I would really like to see him pull it together.

He went so low as a new pro you could hear the death rattle, but that was one season. At this point, I think health might be the biggest problem, but I’d bet money he posts better numbers this coming season.

9. Racki says:

Seeing that list on paper makes me a little less optimistic about the team’s prospects, especially at forward… of course, having 4 extremely skilled players in the NHL helps a lot, so I’m not too worried there though. But on the whole.. not a great list past 3 or 4, in my opinion. We shall see though.. you never know who might surprise.

10. Racki says:

Also, if I had to pick a surprise, I think it’ll be Fedun. The broken leg definitely was a setback at a horrible time, but I think he’ll fight his way back into being an exciting potential future NHLer.

11. BlacqueJacque says:

Racki:

At this point the only thing he’s got going for him is the fact that he’s a right handed shot.

Otherwise, MacT put up so many roadblocks for him that I went from thinking “he’s sure to make it out of camp” to thinking that he’ll be career AHL.

12. Racki says:

@BlackqueJacque..

Lots of 1-year roadblocks though. I don’t expect him to make any sort of impact next year, but I think he’ll be a viable option in a couple years. But yes, he’s in tough even if you just look within the system and ignore the recent FA/trade acquistions.

13. jp says:

For what it’s worth, I agree with your Moroz ranking. He’s never going to be a top 6 option, and most probably never a top 9, but he still has a decent chance of making the bigs and getting to 200 games or so. He has some “skills” (including size, speed, physicality and 2-way play) that the Oilers need, and he’s not totally devoid of the classic hockey playing skills. His success in a shutdown role on a very good Jr team at least partly offsets his disappointing offense thus far. He’s no savior, and he may not have been a good pick where he was drafted, but imo he remains a better prospect than a guy like John McCarron (a couple of years older and similarly offensively challenged) or Daniil Zharkov (a “scorer” who has scored only marginally better than Moroz).