KHAIRA UPDATE

After last nights post about Jujhar Khaira’s future, a couple of items have turned up that are noteworthy. One comes via the Everett Silvertips, who have announced that the new Oilers signee will attend their training camp next week before going to the Young Stars Classic Tournament and then Oilers camp. The story is here. Quoting the article:

• GM Garry Davidson: “Jujhar is obviously an exciting addition to our training camp. I’ve had the chance to visit with him over the phone a couple of times recently, and of course he’s enthusiastic about the future after signing with Edmonton last week. We look forward to having a player of his caliber here in Everett for camp and then he heads off to Edmonton and we’ll wait to see what happens with the Oilers.”

It makes sense to have the WHL as his landing place. Should he surprise and win an AHL job (or God forbid an NHL roster spot) then good on the kid. The likely call sees him spend this season in the WHL.

On another note, “Chester” posted the following in the comments section of last night’s Khaira discussion:

• Chester: I just want to add a personal note about Jujar’s development. I was the coach of a major midget team he tried out for in the lower mainland of BC (Valleywest) and I cut this kid in training camp. When he tried out he was a feisty mean player who had a little touch around the net but was small. With the overwhelming amount of returning players with the same characteristics, I cut him and he returned to his midget team. Next time I see him he’s grown 4 inches and gained 20 lbs and now looks like a beast. Players are scared of this guy when they see him sitting on the bench. Next thing I know is he’s not trying out for major midget, he’s already been granted a spot in the WHL. I really missed the boat on this kid, and that’s why I’m commenting on this forum rather than sitting in some GM chair with the Oilers. The reviews of him are outstanding since that summer.
  • More Chester: As far as Constantine goes, he is an excellent developer of young players. He teaches responsible two way play and is a hard ass, but has proven results. I couldn’t be more happy to have Constantine developing this kid. He’s better than most guys out there and has a record to back it up.

My sincere thanks to Chester for the information on Khaira and on Constantine.

35 Responses to "KHAIRA UPDATE"

1. David says:

WHL is the route to take. Can we please become an organization that developes it’s prospects for 3-6 years before they get to the show?

David:

Plante was on track. :-)

3. theres oil in virginia says:

So, right now they’re an organization that develops their players for 3-6 years before they get shown the door. Ouch.

A little track might have done Plante some good.

(A 2 for 1! Two cheesy jokes in one post.)

4. David says:

Ha Touché.

5. Manitoba Oilers says:

LT wrote for hockey buzz to its open

6. theres oil in virginia says:

Manitoba Oilers:
    LT wrote for hockey buzz to its open

Dude. I think you mixed it up wrong. These things take careful preparation. It’s like baking a cake – you have to measure carefully. Talk to DMW, he’ll set you up with the right ‘prescription’.

7. Manitoba Oilers says:

theres oil in virginia,

Cloutier was one of the most fun unique bloggers out there

8. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m confused.

10. theres oil in virginia says:

Makes perfect sense to me. Have you been drinking?

theres oil in virginia:
    Makes perfect sense to me.Have you been drinking?

Only since puberty.

12. theres oil in virginia says:

Good man.

I’m thinking it’s one of those puzzlers where you have to figure out the missing words and insert them into the blanks, only you also have to figure out where the blanks are. It’s probably genius.

13. theres oil in virginia says:

Aah, here’s a little light:

Cloutier’s hangin’ ‘em up.

You get a mention in that piece. Of course, I’m of the opinion that Richard Cloutier is really you, or you are really him, or whatever. Maybe your alter* ego even. How many people are in there LT?

* Not to be confused with your aler ego. Boy, it must be crowded in there. Is there even any room for Alan?

Well, Cloutier leaving. Wish him the best, still think he had someone on the inside. I think the Hockeybuzz site probably held him back, he’s an entertaining read.

Re-posted from last thread:

Khaira going to Silvertips TC, so there’s news

Looks like I was wrong about him going to the AHL.

Surprising move as the WHL is a lesser league than NCAA. I guess Michigan Tech changing conferences is a huge deal in terms of quality of comp.

Id guess that in order to get him to leave the NCAA the Oilers needed to sign him so he could get his signing bonus.

In regards to the characterization of the CHL as a lesser league than NCAA, I have 2 reasons for saying so:

1) Players are older in the NCAA, and age difference from 17-23 is massive in terms of strength. Simply put, its tougher to play against men.

2) Rob Vollman in Hockey Prospectus has the NHLE of these leagues as:
    a) AHL .44
    b) NCAA .41
    c) CHL .29

So points from the NCAA translate the NHL almost as well as the AHL, but the CHL is miles behind.

Makes sense. In the AHL and NCAA you are playing a high level against men. In the CHL you are playing a high level against 17-20 year olds.

He had a very good rookie season and I thought he might translate to the AHL well, and there are jobs in OKC to be had.

I know that the OKC roster is full, but if the kid earns one, he earns one.

Its pro hockey, not patty cake.

16. David says:

Woodguy,

In the WHL he will get a lot more games which is a bonus. He’ll also be leaned on a lot I expect. Probably first line with lots of PP time.

17. striatic says:

David,

yep. WHL means he’ll see more ice.

also, the WHL is a much better place for Khaira to learn to play C than the AHL or even ECHL would be.

WHL is the right stop this year. give the kid the chance to dominate a league before moving him up the ladder.

18. delooper says:

Do you know what the “conversion rate” is on those numbers?

For example, say only 10% of NCAA NHL-drafted players make it to the NHL, but 5% of CHL NHL-drafted players eventually make it to the NHL. (I have no idea what the actual numbers might be)

My guess is that since players leaving the NCAA are older and more developed, there’s less risk associated to those players, so the NHLE is higher. And its higher not because the league is any better, but because the selection-process (drafting and development) is simply more efficient.

I’ve watched a decent amount of NCAA hockey and maybe I’m just jaded. There’s a lot of ugly system-hockey in that league.

Hmm, here’s another thought. Does NHLE count a player that was drafted but never makes it to the show? Or are they invisible to the NHLE computation?

Woodguy:
    Re-posted from last thread:

2) Rob Vollman in Hockey Prospectus has the NHLE of these leagues as:
    a) AHL .44
    b) NCAA .41
    c) CHL .29

19. oilswell says:

Am I reading this wrong? It sounds like the Silvetips are only hoping that he’ll come back after the Penticton camp and not eventually report to the AHL/ECHL. I mean the article even says

“Khaira’s playing destination for the upcoming season will not likely be known until after Oilers training camp.”

Sounds like he may still get the push to pro.

20. DeadmanWaking says:

theres oil in virginia: Talk to DMW, he’ll set you up with the right ‘prescription’.

ANNIE:Well let’s get down to it, honey — how was he?
    MILLIE: Well, he fucks like he pitches. Sorta all over the place.

You know, Millie’s line never quite worked for me. That scouting report is waay below Annie’s level.

ANNIE:Well let’s get down to it, honey — how was he?
    MILLIE:Well, it was ‘bracing …
    ANNIE: Did you “‘brace” well?
    MILLIE: Oh, I tried, but I never I caught up with the next pitch.
    ANNIE: Yaw don’t sway.
    MILLIE: I’ll sway if I want to.

There! THERE! That’s Annie’s level. Now that one line is a tricky delivery. With Sarandon on the mound, I like our chances. Somehow she’s got to swallow that comma orally, and put it across with a look.

Unfortunately, most of the theater audience is just not as buff with their Euler angles as a gal like Annie. (Lip gloss for the Tragically Hip, “Euler” is pronounced “Oiler”.) Later that night: “Don’t blame me, I skipped algebra. What do we do with our hips, again? No, not that roll, the other roll. No! Not that roll, either! The OTHER other roll.”

Roll roll roll on the hay. The thing about Teri Garr is that you know with her every roll is the right roll. She’s such a tease.

Teri: Is it good?
    Aler Egor: Yaw.
    Teri: Better now?
    Aler Egor: Yaw more!
    Teri: How about … like this?
    Aler Egor: Sweet Jesus!
    Teri: Have you seen the light?
    Aler Egor: Yaaaaaaaaaw awwwww awe.
    Teri: Hey?
    Aler Egor: Hey what?
    Teri: Hand me some hay.

It’s all about getting the right ankles.

21. theres oil in virginia says:

Yeah, you’re not Cloutier.

From the Cloutier retirement article:

“Contrary to popular belief, I don’t hate Ladislav Smid…”

Uh-huh. Now Cloutier’s retiring with that statement, and you’re conveniently changing your stance on Smid at the same time.

“Rucy, you got some ‘splainin’ to do.”

David:
    Woodguy,

delooper,

Its simply a formula to project that player’s season on the NHL assuming equal TOI.

Its interesting that the higher the scoring in the AHL, the lower the rate. QC and TOI play a part in that.

This subject is a whole chapter in Vollman’s book Hockey Abstract (incorrectly called it Hockey Prospectus earlier)

Here’s a link: http://www.hockeyabstract.com/

$12.54 for the PDF is cheap. Great read.

24. Ducey says:

theres oil in virginia,

Ha! I was going to write the same thing.

It sure points to LT being Cloutier. Although I think our LT wouldn’t be writing about a “playoff birth” unless he was talking about someone like Seguin’s off ice antics.

25. Beaker says:

Woodguy:
    delooper,

Its interesting that the higher the scoring in the AHL, the lower the rate.QC and TOI play a part in that.

Here’s a link: http://www.hockeyabstract.com/

$12.54 for the PDF is cheap.Great read.

I can confirm this. Read it during my trip to the Shuswap. Great read for sure.

26. Ducey says:

Woodguy: I firmly believe that more games is better, regardless of the competition, but prefer whatever level he is ready for, and his NHLEs, size and reportedly improved skating suggest that he gets a shot to make the AHL team.

Seems to me that a player like Khaira will also benefit from the style of the WHL. He is apparently a fairly rough customer. If he runs over someone in college he can expect to be hit back or penalized. The is no fighting.

In the WHL or AHL he can expect that someone might jump him. I think it would be better for him to learn to fight (and all the unwritten rules surrounding that) in the WHL. In the AHL he could expect to run into some very tough grown men.

Physically, another year of amateur development will only help a guy like Khaira.

Its a lazy Sunday morning, so I thought I’d stir the pot of bit.

Steve Burtch from PPP is working on figuring out what Corsi expectations should be given a player’s toi, qc and team mates.

He’s a tweet from him this morning:

Stephen Burtch ‏@SteveBurtch 5m

there have only been 162 FWDS with 1000 mins 5v5 TOI over the last 6 yrs in the NHL to be above expectations both DEF and OFF with Corsi.

Rob Schremp was one of them – he probably deserved more of a shot than he got.

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Before we get too excited remember that his NHL toi came via:

7 NHL games with Edmonton
    89 with NYI
    18 with Atlanta

Ducey: Seems to me that a player like Khaira will also benefit from the style of the WHL.He is apparently a fairly rough customer.If he runs over someone in college he can expect to be hit back or penalized.The is no fighting.

In the WHL or AHL he can expect that someone might jump him.I think it would be better for him to learn to fight (and all the unwritten rules surrounding that) in the WHL.In the AHL he could expect to run into some very tough grown men.

Could be.

He also could be much larger than a lot of WHL players and might run over a lot of them, whereas against men in the NCAA more are his size.

Agree 100%

Given that he’s only 19 playing in the WHL won’t hurt him, and getting used to that many games a year at an easier level than the AHL will help minimize injury as well.

29. jfry says:

Wg, you’re always punching the player to the next league. There’s very little the oilers have done to help their prospects by rushing them to the ahl. Almost all of them haven’t been physically mature enough, get injured, lose their spot in the roster and fail to progress. Pitlick, Hamilton and martindale are three perfect examples of players who could have used more junior time.

The goal of development should be to learn to be dominant in certain areas, build confidence and not get hurt. The dub is the place for this kid.

If St. Louis can afford to keep petriangelo in the ohl for two years after getting drafted at number 4, we can afford to let these kids do the same. Plus, it doesn’t start their ELC, which is the most valuable contract in hockey.

Imagine if he played two more years of junior? Then did 40 games in the Ahl and came in half way thru the NHL season, like horcoff and we actually got almost three full NHl years on his ELC?! With what were signing all the studs too, this kind of cap development is going to be a necessity.

30. speeds says:

jfry,

As far as I know, Khaira’s ELC can only slide one time, this upcoming season.

31. Bank Shot says:

jfry:
    Wg, you’re always punching the player to the next league.There’s very little the oilers have done to help their prospects by rushing them to the ahl. Almost all of them haven’t been physically mature enough, get injured, lose their spot in the roster and failto progress. Pitlick, Hamilton and martindale are three perfect examples of players who could have used more junior time.

All three of Hamilton, Pitlick, and Martindale would have been overagers had they went back to juniors. They were all very old for their draft years. Edmonton didn’t do anything differently from any other team. They just didn’t pick very good players.

32. jfry says:

Bank Shot,

I liked how they developed pelss. And I think it’s fair to say that ewanyk is developing satisfactorily, and certainly gaining from being a Moreau like player on a winning team in the dub. I’m curious to see how he transitions into the ahl.

33. jfry says:

speeds,

That’s too bad. So does he receive his signing bonus now? Which basically means the oil are paying him to play in the dub?

34. Captain Smarmy says:

I don’t think he’ll run over the WHL. There are plenty of 220lbs dmen who can give as good as he can around the league.

WHL will offer him a lot of games and ice time which is the one knock NCAA players have to overcome. Hell look at the fumes poor Justin Schultz seemed to be running on.

If he tears the cover off the ball maybe he forces his was into a WJHC conversation and we have ourselves a bonified top six power forward prospect.

jfry,

Wg, you’re always punching the player to the next league.

I disagree with that statement.

Usually I’m all about letting them simmer.

What other players have I done this with? Honestly curious, might be a blind spot.

As shown above NCAA is almost on par to AHL, except the AHL is “tougher”

I’m fine with this player getting used to 80 game schedules in the WHL as its a much easier league than the AHL and will have less injury worry.