KHAIRA: WHERE DOES HE FIT?

The Oilers signing of Jujhar Khaira yesterday came as a surprise, and now the question is where will he play next season. Despite his relative youth, Khaira is one of the bigger prospects in the system (now 6.03, 214) and offers the Oilers a center-wing with a wide range of skills. Those skills include scoring ability, taking and making a pass, and playing with an edge.

If he can do those three things successfully at the AHL level, Khaira will move to the front of the pro prospects list in a quick hurry. In his first 7 games at Michigan Tech, Khaira was 0-3-3. After that, he went 30, 6-16-22.

REDLINE REPORT PRE DRAFT

Redline Report At Red Line, we believe this kid could be the biggest/best sleeper of the entire draft. Prince George is so far off the beaten path teams don’t even travel there for WHL games, much less BCHL contests, so he gets zero exposure. But this kid is big, mean, aggressive, nasty, and guess what… he can score too. Does the dirty work in the corners, bangs bodies and wins battles, and loves to initiate heavy contact. Powerful stride with great balance and gets leverage on his hits. Has surprisingly soft hands and puck skills with playmaking ability. Creates lots of space for smaller teammates and makes everyone braver. Very raw defensively.

MICHIGAN TECH COACHING COMMENTS

• Heach Coach Mel Pearson: “I told our coaches before the weekend (November late) I thought JJ (Jujhar) made huge strides in how much better he was. He’s at a different level right now. We’re playing sophomores and freshmen against other team’s seniors, grizzled vets, and they’re doing a great job.”
  • Bill Muckalt, Michigan Tech asst coach“We see him as a big time power forward. He skates really well, very good down low, strong on the puck, has good vision and great offensive instincts. I think he has a lot of potential to be a pro hockey player.”

In the 2012 winter edition of the top 20 I ranked Khaira #7 overall, and said “We didn’t know much about Jujhar Khaira on draft day. Since then, the story that has been uncovered is impressive. Power forward, good hands, mean streak, tough as nails and doesn’t possess a sense of entitlement. Those are all good arrows, and his performance last weekend suggests more good things are on the way.” I had him #6 overall in the summer.

The Van Diest article above is worth reading, lots of great quotes including this from Khaira: “I think I could be a big asset in the offensive zone, holding guys off behind the zone and be a good two-way forward.”

Clearly the Oilers agree.

Where will he play? My guess is he’ll be an Oklahoma City Baron, although I do remember Khaira saying he’d be willing to go to junior hockey if asked, and maybe the Oilers made the request this year. One thing for sure: this signing addresses toughness and size, and for that reason I believe OKC is the likely destination.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

best in show ss

This morning at 10, the Lowdown hits the air on Team 1260 with a very nice guest list. Scheduled to appear:

Your comments are welcome, if you have anything you’d like to ask Damon this is your chance. @Lowetide_ on twitter or 10-1260 via text. Man, I’m looking forward to it!

47 Responses to "KHAIRA: WHERE DOES HE FIT?"

1. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

I was very surprised by this move, but it makes sense if what Reynolds said about the devaluation of the WCHA is true, as long as he is headed to major junior and not minor pro.

Talking of Reynolds, any chance of getting him on to the show sometime? Don’t think he’s been on since the days of NationRadio (correct me if I’m wrong), but he always has been one of my favourite “stats guys” in that he’s pretty balanced whilst being uber-smart. Would love to see Willis and Zona on again too sometime.

Finally, you had a text yesterday from a UK listener to your show – count me as another one LT, although I can’t listen live as I’m cycling home from work at about the time your show starts! The podcasts are a must listen however. I’ll rely on them even more come September, when I’ll be living in Australia and even further removed from hockey!

Chris: I’m not sure why the minor pro level would be a negative. His scoring rates suggest he could post some crooked numbers and he’s a big kid. I’d have a long look at him if I were the Oilers.

3. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Yeah I should have expanded on that and not sounded so dismissive, I’m fine with him being sent to minor pro, but only if they place him in a position to succeed and develop. I am terrified of another Pitlick/Hamilton situation where players were arguably brought up to pro too early and have struggled to adapt/develop.

Every player is different, and the way Khaira is trending (up) suggests he is not another Pitlick (who was actually trending down when he turned pro – distinctly average numbers in the Dub although there were reasons for that and things to like), but as much as I like JK as a prospect, I really, really don’t want the Oilers to screw him up.

4. striatic says:

6’3″ 214 as an 18/19 year old, combined with that 22P in 30GP *as a freshman* means he will be given lots of opportunity to crack the NHL lineup.

still, i think he’s at least a couple seasons away from NHL consideration, if only because Jesse Joensuu will be occupying the “Giant LW Gamble” slot for the next couple of years.

as Smyth retires and Joensuu’s contract expires, Khaira slots in very nicely as a 21 year old replacement. he needs to progress considerably before that point, but his freshman season has him on track to do so.

i’d like to see a WHL season, followed by an AHL season, then we will see where we are at.

5. PerryK says:

striatic:

I agree.

I would not like to see him in ECHL. Limited minutes in AHL can’t be good for his development either.

WHL is a very good development league. I think that longer season where he is in a position to be successful and where he is the go-to guy has to be good for his growth. Remember that he hasn’t quite turned 19 yet.

6. regwald says:

PerryK: I agree.

I would not like to see him in ECHL.Limited minutes in AHL can’t be good for his development either.

WHL is a very good development league.I think that longer season where he is in a position to be successful and where he is the go-to guy has to be good for his growth.Remember that he hasn’t quite turned 19 yet.

I think with his size, maybe the WHL may be a cake walk where he overpowers everyone. Don’t undersell the ECHL for a couple of months before the AHL. It helped Rajala and maybe if Hamilton and Pitlick spent some time there, they would be further ahead than they are now.

7. striatic says:

PerryK: Remember that he hasn’t quite turned 19 yet.

yep. despite being very developed physically, he’s still just a kid.

i do worry that by not playing him against men, you don’t know his true skill level. he could go to the WHL and succeed simply by overpowering 16 and 17 year old kids. still, he’ll get a ton of playing time and that’s the most important thing right now.

the ECHL is an option too, i suppose, though for some irrational reason i have a bias against using that league to develop young players, even if they are physically huge.

8. striatic says:

regwald: It helped Rajala

Rajala is 3 years older than Khaira. very different stages in their development.

btw, does anyone know what the ECHL’s NHLE number is?

9. FastOil says:

For me it depends on the player. If he is mature enough let him go as quickly as he can. Some guys need to grow physically, some guys need to gain confidence and maturity. I imagine the NHL ice is pretty intimidating at first.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Khaira could already handle the physicality of the NHL, it seems he has enough attitude, he has the size already. The AHL is probably a better place for him, the Dub would likely not challenge him enough, largely because he would be one of the biggest guys and likely one of the toughest, too easy for him. He is also obviously intelligent (college) and probably will learn what to do quickly. He needs men to battle against to challenge him.

10. FastOil says:

Regwald beat me to it – I type too slowly.

11. Jordan says:

FastOil,
    regwald,
    PerryK,
    Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Guys, I absolutely agree that if the Oilers can continue his development, he will be a huge asset to the team sooner rather than later. Guy could be a wonderful multi-tool center for a lot of years.

I don’t care where he plays, as long as:

– He plays in all diciplines (EV, PK, PP)
    – He plays Center
    – He’s constantly being challenged to play smarter, skate faster, and take the puck to the net.

If he can do the in the A, that’s freaking amaizing, and good on him.
    If he’s doing that in the E, then that’s fine and I hope he has a blast with the Condors.

If he’s the the Dub, super – odds are good he gets tonnes of time, and probably less likely to sustain a major injury, due to his size advantage.

To be really honest, my major concern with him in the ECHL or the AHL is that he takes a bad hit and either gets a bad concussion or a leg injury.

Those impact gameplay the most (jmo) and for a guy who has a lot of developing to do, would be the biggest risk/detriment (also jmo).

12. striatic says:

FastOil: the Dub would likely not challenge him enough, largely because he would be one of the biggest guys and likely one of the toughest, too easy for him.

see, while i’m sure he’ll be able to use his frame most effectively in the WHL, i’m not sure it will be “too easy” for him.

remember, playing against older kids but not exactly “men”, he had a good college year “for a freshman”. he did not dominate his league.

i don’t want to *assume* the WHL is too easy for him, i want to *know* if it is too easy for him. there may be some flaws in his game that in the ECHL you cut him a little slack since he’s playing pro against men for the first time, but that in the WHL would be glaring.

put him in the WHL and if he dominates, then you can promote him. let’s not assume that he will dominate simply because he is big.

13. hags9k says:

Who does Damon think is the best QB in the league right now and who does he think Ottawa will claim for QBs? And of course does Damon think Khaira will go to OKC or the dub? :)

There’s only ONE, Daaamon Allllen……

14. gd says:

I just hope the Oilers ensure they have development plan that makes sense for Khaira’s skillset. I really hope they have learned something from Pitlick and make sure they are properly communicating and monitoring with both Khaira and his coaches. I worry about Constantine in Everett, as he did not have a good track record of 1st round picks succeeding in his first stint in Everett (Hamill, Beach, Mueller, Irving).

I’m wondering if someone has done any research on forwards who appeared to have been helped or hurt from choosing the NCAA route versus the CHL route. I think Stauffer has always said he felt D are served well by the NCAA route, but forwards are better off in CHL/AHL.

15. Hammers says:

FastOil:

Very true . How come so many feel a player like RNH is ready while this kid isn’t .Talent wise no but size/strenth yes. At least he can handle the physicall side . AHL or maybe Europe . I can’t see him going to the Dub . My bet is OKL. .Think of the number of Swedes , Finns & Russian kids playing against men . It’s OK for them but not Canadian kids Don’t buy it .

16. Gino says:

I believe turning pro at this time makes sense under the current circumstances while his team will be playing lesser quality competition. I hope we see him on the Barons to start the year playing against men and playing center and working his way up the depth chart. There is a long list of players who were of comparable age drafted out of Tier 2 junior ‘A’ whom after 1 year of playing college turned pro. Kyle Turris who can be deemed a success and Brandon Pirri who is considered a high prospect at this time, but along with the positives there has been those that have failed. I hope in the future he succeeds especially at the center position as the Oilers need this type of player with skill, grit and size. I’ll be cheering for him and will pay attention to his progress for the next few years.

17. regwald says:

Gino:

I think Turris leaving early hurt his career. He was too small and was totally ineffective in his first couple of years and then had a neck injury. He was a perfect example of someone who should have played 1 or 2 more years of college.

He played two years in the NHL, finished his 2nd year in the minors and then played a full year in the AHL. Terrible player management in my opinion.

18. jfry says:

The only real concern we should have with his development is his health. Put him in a league where he’s least likely to get injured.

The guys we’ve pushed to pro who could have stayed in junior, have flopped in recent years with production and have been constantly hurt. We frankly haven’t developed a drafted forward at all in recent years in the minors.

Count me as whl all the way. Learn to be a leader day in and day out and to play a big schedule and to allow your body to continue to develop without as much chance at injury.

Give him his rightful tryout at camp, but for the love of god, don’t force him up an artificial food chain. This kid isn’t NHL ready for probably three years. Tearing up the dub didn’t hurt eberle or his confidence.

19. Gino says:

regwald,

You would agree Turris should of and was ready to spend his first year of pro totally in the AHL instead of Phoenix which was a mistake they made by rushing him. Turris was effective in the AHL and I agree with you he should of spent more time developing instead of being rushed to the NHL, If the Oilers handle Khaira properly and he plays in the AHL for 2-3 years and not on the Oilers I wouldn’t consider this as rushing him.

20. Bar_Qu says:

Looking at it strictly from JJ’s point of view, I can’t see why he would leave NCAA school (easy schedule, academic advancement, college life, etc) to go to billeting in a small town, riding the bus and playing 3 games a weekend all with kids generally younger than him. If he signed, I think he signed with the understanding of getting a start on pro hockey.

I can only really see him in the AHL or starting in the ECHL with getting a push to get to the AHL before too long.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“what kind of chocolate?”

“it looks like milk. milk chocolate.”

22. Lynas1 says:

Hey LT and everyone. One thing about Khaira and several other prospects (MOR and others) I find confusing. Khaira was drafted as a LW, but at the draft a bit of a deal was made that he could play centre and/or was going to be moving to centre at Michigan tech. Did he move to centre or is he going to stay the course at LW? Same thing with Marc-Olivier Roy. Draft said he’s RW but they also said he could play centre and might end up doing so. I’d love to see if Khaira can actually play centre. For last years draft outside the 1st round for me the more exciting prospects are Khaira and Zharkov. I’m routing for this guy all the way.

23. Gret99zky says:

He looked good at the Oilers Development Camp.

24. Logan91 says:

Lynas1,

We won’t know for sure until hockey starts up again.

With their lack of talented centres, IMO they’ll be making him play centre. If you watch him play he’s definitely better suited for the position.

25. Grocery Stick says:

According to my buddy, who played for Tech and has spoken with someone there, they were shocked he signed. He told my buddy that they don’t think he’s ready to go pro yet.

26. Lynas1 says:

Regardless of his ELC, if he wanted to back to the NCAA wouldn’t he still get the 3 more years of college before he started that contract? Am I getting that right?

27. Soup Fascist says:

Lynas1,

I believe the second he signs a contract he is ineligible to return to the NCAA

28. Soup Fascist says:

Logan91,

What qualities have you seen that make you think he is a center? I believe he primarily played LW at Tech and the strengths of his game include board work. It is a tough switch to make at the pro level.

29. Logan91 says:

Soup Fascist,

At the rookie camp I watched him, and I’ve seen some video of him in Michigan. He seemed to float around the ice, he liked his space to work. Not to mention he likes to make plays.

I think it would be a good idea to try him at centre wherever he plays this year.

30. Kris11 says:

I don’t know why the Oilers don’t like to let guys stay in college to develop. They seem to believe development is improved by playing pro sooner. That makes little sense to me.

But it does make sense to me that the Juj would want to turn pro. There are a ton of openings or potential openings in the Oilers bottom 6 that will likely be open this year (when the Juj clealrly won’t be ready) and also next year (when he might be ready.)

If Juj can secure a spot on the AHL roster by the end of the season (with stints in the ECHL), he sky rockets ahead of every forward on the roster (including Rajala because of size) as the first call-up, bottom of the roster option for the Oilers.

IMO, the main goal of 2nd and later picks as they develop is to move up the ladder to be seen as the best option for a callup. The field ahead of Khaira (Pitlick et al) is flailing amd with a decent showing he is ahead of them all.

And he has little to lose. If he plays in the ECHL, he develops as well as at Michigan Tech. And if he never gets to the NHL, he can go back to school and get a degree that would in all likelihood be better than the one from Michigan Tech.

31. Soup Fascist says:

Logan91,

I don’t disagree that we need a big center who is skilled. One knock on Khaira was his defensive acumen. Center is a position that needs to have defensive awareness more than a winger, IMO. Maybe he really improved in that regard. I am not saying don’t look at him in the middle – but keep expectations reasonable as their are so many subtleties involved in playing that position at the next level.

32. RexLibris says:

My preference would be for Khaira to either play WHL under the Oil Kings or go the ECHL-to-AHL route, in that order.

My reasoning is this: the Oil Kings have prepared some prospects well for the transition to the professional game, thus far. I think this environment, both on and off the ice, would greatly improve his chances of becoming an NHL player.

WIth regards to the ECHL-AHL path, while I’m not a fan of some of the antics in the ECHL and worry over the chance of injury, several players have made that same career move and with positive results – Rajala, Dubnyk and Pelss all have gone this route and all progressed in a positive direction from their draft day.

I’d rather see the Oil Kings trade for Khaira and have him spend a season on Rexall ice before turning pro the following year and going to the AHL.

As an interesting sidenote, compare Khaira with Jankowski – drafted centers playing the wing in their first season in the NCAA, both big bodies (Khaira admittedly heftier), both selected “off the beaten path” and in the same draft year, and Khaira averaged .68 ppg over 37 gp on a weaker team while Jankowski got .53 ppg over 34 gp. Something to keep an eye on, I think.

33. DeadmanWaking says:

For me, player management is the worst of all aimchair sports. At the end of the day the narrative is a 99 and 44/100ths tissue of counterfactuals–suppositions about what would have happened had a different approach been taken none of which are ever tested straight up. Where’s the control in this game? Ever?

The human brain is exceedingly good at constructing “if only” scenarios. Far too good, in fact.

A Summary of ‘Who’s in Charge?: Free Will and the Science of the Brain’ by Michael Gazzaniga

If the split-brain patients could not say what was going on in their left visual fields, how did they explain their actions? This is where things get really strange. Here is an example of what happened. Gazzaniga flashed up a picture of a chicken claw in a subject’s right visual field, and a picture of a snow scene in their left. When Gazzaniga asked the subject what they saw they replied that they had seen the chicken claw but nothing else.

Gazzaniga then presented them with a range of objects such as those mentioned above: a tree, a lion, a diamond, a snow shovel, and a chicken, and asked them to point to the most appropriate one. With their right hand they pointed to the chicken, and with their left hand they pointed to the snow shovel.

Then, when Gazzaniga asked the subject why they pointed to the objects that they did, here was the response: “oh that’s simple, the chicken claw goes with the chicken… and you need a shovel to clean out the chicken shed” (p. 82). In other words, the subject’s interpreter module made up a story about the person’s actions that best fit what it was aware of (the chicken claw but not the snow scene), and in doing so completely misinterpreted the true reason behind the action of their own left hand.

It’s pretty clear that you can’t put a player into a situation where they can’t take the punishment. It’s pretty clear that a player won’t much improve (any time soon) at disciplines he’s not engaging. My own opinion is that a player with an elite skill needs to maintain a context of elite challenge if that skill is to reach its highest potential.

These things aren’t necessarily compatible. Half of Lander’s game is NHL ready, the other half isn’t (and might never be, no matter what path is chosen).

Sometimes organizational needs interfere with the nurture fairy. And not just needs, but realities. The nurture ferry has only so many berths at each level of play.

I think Giant Juju is being rushed a bit, but there is some logic to it. He’s a complementary part, and he needs to arrive before the bus departs. His aggregate chance takes a hit, but what remains of his potential blossoms sooner.

It’s exactly the same logic when you’re down a goal in the third period. You press for a goal, increasing your own chance of scoring a goal, but usually increasing the other team’s chance of scoring a goal even more (it doesn’t take many odd man rushes to tip the balance). You’re fine with this, because you’ve diminished the likelihood that no goal is scored, a scenario where you certainly lose. Once you pull your goalie, which team scores next most often? Even counting Stefan Dallas multi-pass deke tuck?

Regardless of where the Giant Juju goes, it’s too soon to put him in the prospectors box of especially glinty stones, only to wallow in the bitter hormones of loss aversion the morning after–the morning after the evening before when he’s finally pitched over the shoulder buckle of your frayed coveralls with a waterworks shake of your wispy ear hair.

Sure, it’s a lot easier to discard the chaff from boxes stuffed onto lower shelves. That doesn’t mean the gritty, fresh-cleaved vein nugget ever had it, or didn’t.

Picture the really old guy hiding in his tent with his glass, peering across the valley at the whippersnapper old guy and he’s chortling “oh look at that, first day, already put one into the little box on the top shelf … my my my he’ll never last a week”. Wrong rock? No. Wrong expectation. He’s failing to make the grade at hope management.

34. Zipdot says:

Ewww, now I’ve got this image of two old guys pitching a tent…….

35. Zipdot says:

I think JJ messed up by signing early. I remember reading a year ago that he was really dedicated to school; that it was the most important thing to him at the time (like, more than hockey, I think). Something obviously changed…

The WHL is literally a development league. Perfect for 18 year old developing players. I think it’s a mistake to assume that Jujhar is too good for the WHL. The WHL is one of the best leagues on the planet… In my opinion, NCAA was the goldilocks zone for this specific player. That’s not to say that the WHL is too small or the AHL is too big. Just that the NCAA was just right. Now I think the WHL is the next best thing. Play 70 games. Take faceoffs. Become a first liner. Get physical. He can do all of this in the WHL. In the AHL, he’s more likely to falter, play fewer minutes, play wing, and so on (not sure about injury chances, though; seems about equal – WHL kids are hungry, let’s not forget).

Maybe he’s “ready” for the AHL, sure. Many WHLers are. But I think his home at this point should be in the WHL.

36. Logan91 says:

Soup Fascist,

That’s true. I’m not saying he’s the answer for all of their centre problems and he’s going to end up as some great two way player, but if he does end up in the WHL it sure wouldn’t hurt to have him play centre to see how it works out.

The worst that happens is he doesn’t play well in the position and then gets put back on the wing. If it does work out though, then he has the whole year to learn how to properly play both ends of the ice.

37. DeadmanWaking says:

About Stefan. First, he’s in the right place to benefit from “the most ridiculous thing I’ve even seen” (MAB fanning on the 6 on 5 breakout pass last man back). The bobble is embarrassing (I mean Stefan’s), but in reality it’s the least of his problems.

His real problems begin with the blind backhand drop pass to the other team’s defensive QB (Jarret Stoll if I’m not mistaken about blessings discarded). Who on his own squad does he imagine is trailing hard on the play to pot the rebound off the 6×4 seething sheet of Boyle’s law?

First, he can fall on the loose puck like a hand-grenade thrown into a trench. That’ll earn him ten seconds in the sin bin watching the Oilers lose the face-off at center ice. (No wait, we still have Stoll.)

Second, he can just continue the play for the first ever NHL empty-net wrap-around gut shot to the orphaned and undefended water bottle, perhaps with a spin-o-rama puck-on-tape around the invisible man minus his bandages to blindside Omark right out of the YouTube history books.

Come on man, improvise.

But no, the blind backhand reflex arc wins again. Isn’t that one of the all-time cliches of counterfactuals? If at first you have no room–or if anything weird happens–just dish the puck to where you’ve recently been. You know, I had a good idea (just one, apparently), but I overskated it, so let’s just rewind and pretend I didn’t.

Hemsky never for a moment looks like he has just one idea. His biggest problem is that this game is played with only one puck–and one stick per player. But even with two pucks, I think he’s a one stick man (“it’s got two sides, after all, you Spanish retard” says fat, old Yeste practically bouncing off his toes).

38. hunter1909 says:

This is my fave prospect. Great character guy, from a non-entitled family.

To the “gee he shouldn’t have turned pro” argument…you’re only young once. I seriously doubt if anyone held a gun to his head to force him to sign this.

Degree? He can always return to get that. Making it to the NHL isn’t as easy as hailing a taxi.

I expect that the OIl Kings/Oilers will make Everett a take it offer or Khaira will be playing in OKC type of offer.

Everett basically gets something for nothing. Khaira plays for the Oil Kings.

40. denny33 says:

Kris11,

I don’t get our development philosophy either.

Neither doest the rest of the league. Jim Nill while with the Wing eloquently explained how negative it can be to rush kids to the pros. Most teams agree with this…..without mentioning the Oilers he really criticized that ( rush kids to the NHL ) approach.

The new Winnipeg Jets point to the Atlanta Thrashers rushing all their picks to play pro at 18….denote their handling of Scheifle. Instead of rushing him to the NHL 2 solid years to grow his game and his body..

Yet another reason why the Oilers are looked up on with curious eyes by most of the league…

41. gogliano says:

I don’t have a strong opinion on where he should end up — though I agree with DMW’s general observation that a competitive context is best for development — but I think the one year in NCAA has its benefits.

I doubt he puts on the weight he put on — and he is going to turn into a big man by the looks of it — if he is in junior playing a hellacious schedule. That early size is going to let him learn his game at an early age.

There are also the mental/learning benefits to the shorter schedule.

42. Logan91 says:

godot10,

Everett drafted him in the bantam draft?

43. prairieschooner says:

MacT has indicated that coaching and development are areas requiring huge improvement.
    The type of system that he has indicated that he wants to use is where every team in the system plays the same way. This is the same way it is done with the big soccer clubs in Europe.
    The benefit is that call ups can fit comfortably into the “big” club because they play the same system.
    The ECHL team could be an excellent acclimatization stop over for JK where he can have lots of TOI
    I wonder if Mac T is doing anything with the ECHL team?

44. bendelson says:

prairieschooner,

The new ECHL affiliate is thought to have a strong coaching staff in place. Whether this had anything to do with moving from Stockton I couldn’t say…

45. DeadmanWaking says:

Hello. My name is Aleshi Montoya. You cribbed from Vader (that silly mask). Prepare to have so many kittens, you didn’t know what to move.

Just had to add that, after watching too many clips the other night of Hemmer going doorstep five-hole, wide oblique top shelf, from any edge in both directions.

46. bendelson says:

bendelson,

Troy Mann is the Condors head coach – former asst. coach of the much ballyhooed Hershey Bears.

47. CowtownOilFan says:

Longer time Reader, First time poster… Per Khaira interview he’s “To young for OKC” and that Everett would be his option if can not play for big club. This via Oilers Now interview today by Reid Wilkins. It is just after the 7 min mark on the Aug 8th 4th half hour Show Clip if anyone interested to hear this interview part. So WHL it would appear, and Everett… Oil Kings have little leverage if OKC/AHL not an option… not sure on the ECHL but assume the age thing would still apply. Cheers