RE 13-14 BOYD GORDON: PUTTING OUT FIRE (WITH GASOLINE)

It will be impossible to separate Boyd Gordon from our memories of Shawn Horcoff–that’s good and bad. Good, because Horcoff is well remembered even now as a stand up guy, a quality player and person. Bring them in ten at a time, please! Bad, because even if he fulfills the role of shutdown center, we’ll still wonder what Horcoff and Gordon could have done behind the Nuge and Gagner. It was not, my friends, to be–and now we’re left to put out fire with gasoline.

RE 13-14: 78, 5-15-20

1. Good lord, we’re screwed. No, we’re not–you’re getting jumpy as the playoffs get closer.
  2. No worries, I’ll die of old age before we get there. I hear you.
  3. How do you get these numbers? It’s not exactly scientific. I don’t think Gordon will get easier minutes than he did a year ago and no break on the zone starts–same old, except with worse linemates than he had in Phoenix (save Hemsky). So, last season’s 5×5/60 (1.18) times 12 minutes a night even strength times the number of games (78) equals 18.48 EV points this coming season.
  4. THIS is your RE? Well, I’m showing you how I get the range, then I move things around in the living room and see if the hutch looks better downstairs.
  5. You gave him 20. That’s for Hemsky, and a shorthanded goal. Overall though, Gordon’s not getting a nice landing spot, the Oilers bottom 6F remains a giant pack of ugly.
  6. Lord. Okay, what else? Well, I don’t think his offense is so far away from Horcoff’s that we should consider it a massive downgrade. Horcoff actually had a better zone start last season and was a little better 5×5/60 (1.34), so it seems about equal with Gordon being golden in the faceoff circle (57 gorgeous percentage points).
  7. And? I think the age difference and the cap difference suggests the Oilers have slightly upgraded at the position moving forward.
  8. Better than Horcoff? Whoopee! Horcoff is slow now and he’ll be 35 in the fall, but the man played center very well for a dozen years in Edmonton. He’s been a favorite of this blog since we started, and Gordon’s being his (approx) equal now speaks well for both of them.
  9. You’re going to miss Horcoff? Ah man yeah. One of my alltime favorite Oilers, any era. He’s kind of the perfect player for an underdog: ideal in a secondary offensive role, plays his entire career on a team that couldn’t muster better (so he’s singing an octave higher than his range suggests). So he keeps climbing that tall mountain every season, and after awhile the people at the bottom of the hill express surprise that his climbing is more labored and mock him. I hope he wins Stanley in Dallas and scores 7 at Rexall first night–if he does I’ll fist pump until my arms won’t move anymore.
  10. Why this song? It’s more about the team than the player, but it fits well. The Oilers bottom 6F is pain, severe pain, and the Oilers put out the fire with gasoline–their free agent fix gets them through the current hell but never out of the situation. Plus it’s a guitar song, we haven’t had many of those (but will as we head into the weekend and next week).
  11. Is there any way Gordon ends up on the 4line? On this club? They could double shift him, that’s the only way I can see it happening.
  12. What does the sledgehammer say? It gushes over Gordon, and requests the addition of Moss pdq. I think that’s the question that remains for me–even more than the center issue.  Where is the Pisani? It’s more than a small deal. A Pisani type can score 12-15 goals, penalty kill and forecheck like a demon, mark the other team’s sniper, play a mentor role and serve as a safety net for the coach on a cold winter’s night. I absolutely believe Boyd Gordon will be exactly that for Dallas Eakins, but he needs a runner alongside. I do not see him on the current roster.

BOYD GORDON SLEDGEHAMMER

gordon sledgehammer

Man, look at that zone start. Holy hell, boys and girls,  the guy can carry a load. I don’t think there’s much doubt about the wisdom of this signing, and if reports are true that Vancouver drove up the price, well we can be happy that their plans were detoured while MacT acquired a perfect fit. Boyd Gordon has an enormous job in Edmonton, perhaps chemistry will find him a running mate.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

WILD AT HEART 3

Friday before the long weekend, this could go off the rails but our guests are worth paying attention to. Scheduled to appear at 10 this morning on Team 1260:

• Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports–we’ll talk about hockey at rest, cabin country, slow news and the future of hockey broadcasting in Canada.
  • Jill Horbay from FC Edmonton–Eddies are back to work and we’ll talk about it, including the best place to watch the game this weekend.
  • Jason Arnold,  coaching Director here in Edmonton for the Edmonton Australian Rules Football Club. Big weekend, we’ll tell you more this morning.
  • Scott Taylor from the Huddle dot co. Eskimos, Bombers, Oilers, Jets, and Taylor will count down the minutes to his next trip to Florida.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter will help us with the baseball suspensions–is mlb finally getting it right, and should Bud Selig move along now?

48 Responses to "RE 13-14 BOYD GORDON: PUTTING OUT FIRE (WITH GASOLINE)"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“THIS is your RE? Well, I’m showing you how I get the range, then I move things around in the living room and see if the hutch looks better downstairs.”

This had me laughing immensely. In middle school I wrote a joke poem title “An Old Oak Hutch.” I have no memory of the poem but the title, for some unexplained reason, lived on in the memory of my friends and I as a comedic touchstone.

———
    “I think the age difference and the cap difference suggests the Oilers have slightly upgraded at the position moving forward.”

That’s about right. This was a lateral move in terms of player (the next 3 years will show us if there is any real performance victor here), but a sizeable upgrade in terms of age and $$. That’s much less a fan win than a GM win. In two moves you replace a valuable and always under-appreciated piece of the puzzle (expect fans to grow frustrated with Gordon’s boxcars right quick) with a younger, cheaper clone. Great move.

———-
    “Why this song? It’s more about the team than the player, but it fits well.”

“What does the sledgehammer say? It gushes over Gordon, and requests the addition of Moss pdq. I think that’s the question that remains for me–even more than the center issue. Where is the Pisani?”

These comments about the bottom 6 and the absence of the Pisani really push the point. The Joensuu and Jones signings mixed with the non-retiring of Smyth says MacT may think he’s already solved the problem.

We can hope one of five things happens:

1) Somehow that group (Smyth, Jones, Joensuu), or a substantial portion thereof, works out. (unlikely)
    2) Between now and game 1 MacT signs or trades for the Pisani type (more likely)
    3) Sometime in the first 25 games MacT signs or trades for the Pisani type (just as likely as 2)
    4) At the trade deadline, MacT signs or trades for the Pisani type (just as likely as 2)
    5) We have to wait until next season when Jones and Smyth are gone for MacT to solve the problem (more likely than 2).

2. Racki says:

LT: feel the same about Horcoff. I wish him great success in Dallas. I hope he finds his offense there again and is used wisely. However, no thank you to him scoring 7 here. :P At any rate, I think the change is good for the Oilers and for Horcoff.

If Hemsky is indeed the 3RW, then that’s better than Moss or Pisani on both sides of the puck.

Woodguy:
    It gushes over Gordon, and requests the addition of Moss pdq. I think that’s the question that remains for me–even more than the center issue.Where is the Pisani?

I think the Oilers need a Pisani, for the Gordon defensive role and the Yak mentor role. in the RE, that player is Smyth.

5. Lucinius says:

What the Oilers need now is, well, Paajarvi — to fill in that third line LW. Yeah, yeah, I know; Perron is the (currently) better player than Paajarvi is and they plugged a larger hole while creating a smaller one. Still, though, its an annoying hole.

Which ties into this; in the last thread some were remarking about moving Hall to center; especially with RNH likely to start the season in the press box due to injury.

The idea baffles me. I like Hall, and yes our center depth (especially sans RNH) leaves something to be desired but our LW depth is non-existant. We have two quality NHL LWers and a couple who are either on the verge of vanishing from the league or struggling to land or keep their job as NHL players.

Then you want to move Hall to center and make the Oilers LW position substantially worse? Hall at center means;

- Perron is our 1st line LW; a 1st line LW he is not.
    - Jones or Joenssu is the 2nd line LW.
    - Jones, Joenssu or Smyth is our 3rd line LW.
    - The loser of the above is on the fourth line with Lander and Brown.

Putting an Arcobello or something as our 2nd C is a much better (but still bad) option going forward. You get a call-up to play skill minutes with good line-mates — they’ll suffer defensively, but should still be a threat to score due to Perron+Yakupov (and Arcobello can’t be much worse at defense at 5v5 than Gagner was last year).

This keeps Gordon and Lander as your 3 and 4 Cs, and keeps the wings not looking like a portal to 1st Draft Pick overall due to it merely being the 3rd LW that gives you the heaves instead of 2nd through 4th driving the city of Edmonton to worship the porcelain god after having to clean out the liquor stores of Alberta every game day.

Its not ideal. But its miles better than putting Hall as your 1st line C, regardless of how well or poorly he performs in the role — which is likely to be (potentially a lot) worse than he does as 1st line LW, by the way.

6. Kitchener says:

Ideal: Horc scores 7 in the Saddledome.

Yes, the bottom 6 is a mess. The good news is that MacT has stirred up the pot so much there’s a chance it’ll settle into a workable unit:
    – new coach (a bottom-six type style; this is the most important addition)
    – excellent 3C
    – some good but old pieces (Smyth, Hemsky)
    – some new pieces
    – a few prospects (talented but small)
    – a vet with something to prove (Eager)
    – a decent way to fill the enforcer role (Brown)
    – improved depth at 5/6/7D (covering for more bottom 6F quirks)

This isn’t ideal, but at least MacT isn’t returning last season’s group and hoping for the best.

7. Clarkenstein says:

Bottom 6F – “A giant pack of ugly”!! LOL…. bang on!! The rest of it ain’t that pretty either. The new faces are always a bit sexy and offer hope this time of year but in reality only the names change. Low expectations = less disappointment by Christmas every year.

8. Jesse says:

I really feel like if they were going to move Hall to center they would have done it already, in some capacity. I think it was Lisa McRitchie on the LDWLT last week who said that maybe he just doesn’t want to move to C. I’m not sure if I want him to move to C either, he’s a vision flying down the wing.

9. Jordan says:

So, we know that the Oil need another hard-minute player who can saw off the best of the best.

We also know that the Centre depth needs work, and MacT likes having extra centres as a general rule.

What about signing Steckel to play with Gordon and Hemsky?

Big, tough minute C who shoots L… wouldn’t that be the perfect solution?

Steckel – Gordon – Hemsky

I mean, I know that nostalgia almost demands that Smyth be gifted that spot, but… that makes almost too much sense not to do it, you know?

Our 4th looks way better then too:

Smyth/Jones/Jonessu – Steckel/Lander – Jones/Jonessu/Brown

Come on Craig… use that big brain that drives all the hockey geeks wild. One more smart move? Please?

10. MrEd says:

With Smyth and Gordon on the 3rd line, isn’t Jones our Pisani?

11. Bar_Qu says:

In other news,

Yay!

Edit: Yay, for two reasons. One Omarks gets to play in the NHL again. And B, because the Oil may get an actual asset out of the deal.

Double Yay, I guess.

Double edit: If he signs for less than 1.1M as an RFA he can go anywhere, so the Oil may get no more than future considerations to keep them from matching.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bar_Qu:
    In other news,

Yay!

Double Yay, I guess.

Found in the top stories on the side of that article:

I will refer you all to point #1 here

And thank a friend at the same time

14. linkfromhyrule says:

lol wow LT’s prediction came true pretty quickly…

Hey LT any word on the lotto numbers for next week?

It’ll be interesting to see what we’re getting back for omark… please let it be a bottom six guy… PLEASE

I got a tip

16. Clay says:

Man, looking at that Sledgehammer graph, and I had to go and look up Rob Klinkhammer. Looks like a late bloomer / Fernando Pisani / GreatWhiteBuffalo type the Coyotes picked up there. AND, he has one of the better names in hockey right now.

17. Bar_Qu says:

I will refer you all to point #1 here

And thank a friend at the same time

Seriously? You got a tip?

Cool.

I had gotten to the point with your predictions of just going “hmm, that’s nice” much like I do with my kids’ and their drawings of Optimus Prime or centaurs. Not that I don’t read them, just they don’t stick in my head. As much a product of the Tambellini years and the penchant to avoid all good sense ideas.

Sorry.

Lowetide: I actually have Hemsky on the 2line some (with Yakupov dropping down at times, and of course injury) and I do understand Hemsky’s a helluva player the moment someone gets him the puck (and he should get it more this season).

Smyth doesn’t have to speed to be a demon on the foreheck, but has the rest of it.

If Smyth and Hemsky fill that role this year, that’s ok, but you are right in that they need a Moss/Pisani long term.

Bar_Qu: Seriously? You got a tip?

Cool.

Sorry.

lol no worries. I’m pretty clear I think that my predictions are almost always without source (as I have none)–but that was fun.

20. striatic says:

Boyd Gordon deserves a better 3LW, bringing in a new player and putting him in a position to fail is how you quickly generate jaded players who are resigned to continual losing.

i really hope Smyth can step it up, or Jones can have a huge bounce back, or Joensuu finds another level, but these are all gambles that’ll take time to resolve. Gordon deserves better.

21. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 5m

And there you go… RT @mayorNHL CONFIRMED: LA Kings have new deal in place with Kyle Clifford http://mayorsmanor.com/?p=19592

Maybe Lander turns out to be the 3rd line LW with Gordon and Hemsky.

Maybe the 4th line, turns out to be something like

Smyth, Arcobello/Miller, Joensuu/Jones

23. striatic says:

godot10: Maybe Lander turns out to be the 3rd line LW with Gordon and Hemsky.

maybe, but i’m sick of rolling dice with the 3rd line.

just get a guy you know can do the job.

roll dice with the 4th line all you want, but if you want a tough comp checking 3rd line, build it properly from the outset.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What’s more bizarre/worse: not knowing anything about The Princess Bride, or knowing just enough about it to think it’s a hopeless chick flic to be stayed away from?

I’m going to go with the latter. A running joke in the film is how it is perceived as chick flic and how only a child would take on the kind of reactionary position some take.

——-
    With Clifford gone, I’m guessing the price was too high, or the rumors were bunk.

Now, I’m guessing we should watch for the deadline or next UFA day for a Winnik type deal for the 3rd line.

25. Lois Lowe says:

You fell for one of the classic blunders; never get involved in a land war in Asia; and never play a game of wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line!

26. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

——-

Re: Princess Bride – Maybe we should send LT to this https://www.epl.ca/100/events

Its free, so there is that. And they even have a useful guide on audience participation at the bottom of the page for the newbies.

Plus he’d get to dress up in character! Who could say no to that?
    ;)

27. RexLibris says:

BTW, the adjusted Corsi article for the Eastern Conference is up today. Another solid read. http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/8/2/eastern-conference-linetier-vs-team-production

28. Jordan says:

RexLibris,

So… Toronto looks awful by these metrics. Again.

The only thing that pains me reading through these is that the Oilers don’t look that much better by comparison. Somewhat, but not much…

29. rickithebear says:

As pointed out there is a natural GF/GA statistical advatage to FO won in the O/D zone versus a entry pocession.

A variance of .0104 save5 per shot.
    you need a 57.55 fo win % to break even in your O zone independent of other performance factors.

Shawn horcoff at his best 05-06 to 08-09 had a maximum season rate of 18 FO per game.

Gordon should get 10 Ev D zone and 6 Ev Ozone

Best FO:
    Gordon C 58%
    Hall LW/C 55%
    Lander C 49%
    gagner C 46%
    RNH ? 40%

There are questions about Player position. Scotty bowman model was best offensive pairs.
    it was stated eakin follows this.

Looking at last three years of wowy for players still on team.
    Best withs
    Hall- Yakupov +5.54/60
    Gagner-Smyth +2.69/60
    Gagner-Eager 2.61/60
    Eberle-Smyth +2,52/60
    Yakupov-Smyth +1.73?60
    Eager-Jones +1.44
    Jones-yakupov + 1.41
    RNH-Smyth + 1.29
    Lander- Smyth +1.05/60
    RNH-Eberle + 0.63
    Hall-RNH +0.47
    Hemsky-Lander 0.00/60

looking at this
    Perron was a +ve GD player with 14 of 17 players.
    Gordon will be a plus player with any pair 1.74GF/60 or better.
    Eager is only -ve GD with lander, Hemsky, Brown
    Eager was +1.74/60 in 47.5% of his even minutes with everyone else still on team.
    jones is only +ve with Eager and yakupov.
    Lander is only a +ve player with Smyth.
    Hemsky and Brown are not +ve players with anyone on the team.

Pretty telling
    with jones, Lander, Hemsky, Brown. even or worse.
    And alot of players best results with Smyth and Eager.

30. Lucinius says:

LT;

This is in response to your article on Oilers Nation (because I don’t post there) about trading Marincin. Also, I know I’ve said this before, but I feel it bears repeating.

Trading players like Marincin (defense prospects with potential, regardless of their size, and some evidence to support their capability to meet that potential in the NHL) should not be traded, period, short of for corner stone pieces to take your team from a playoff team to a Cup contender.

The really good teams do not trade these players except in certain situations (the above mentioned, or when they are literally tripping over these defensive prospects in their system) and instead simply cultivate them longer, then break them in slowly (see Voynov for an excellent example). Instead of trading these players they trade their lesser counter parts (such as Teubert as in LA).

Yes, you get less with these players in the trade market, but long-term the team benefits far more; they get a solid prospect, which has had time to properly develop, for cheap on their NHL roster (thus freeing up cash and cap space for those pieces they need or would otherwise have to trade for — or for securing their older players as they mature into their prime and get paid).

At that point they can either trade the player for maximum value (excellent contract:results ratio, young, still some potential left to dangle for other GMs) or retain them to feed their team with one of the most expensive and sought after commodities; top four d-men with ability, youth that is ‘home grown’ and generally arrive in waves, thus spreading the riches out.

The Oilers should keep Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin. Gernat is the first d-prospect I would even consider trading for anything less than prime value and even that is questionable. Its the guys like Musil (our Tuebert?) that you use as trade chips. They have qualities GMs like (whether it be draft pedigree, family pedigree, toughness, size, cave-man mentality, whatever) and are usually stupid enough to trade for.

Unless its part of a package to bring that true #1 D-man, Edmonton should not trade any of our high end d-prospects at all. There’s no winning those trades if you do, even if they don’t overly pan out because you don’t really know which of them is going to bust.. and which is going to boom.

31. bendelson says:

The more I look at the current roster the more I think we are going to see something like this (for better or worse).

RNH – Hall -Eberle
    Gagner – Perron – Hemsky
    Gordon – Smyth – Jones
    Lander – Joensuu – Yakupov

Asking Hemsky to play a 3rd line role with absolutely brutal zone starts alongside a purely defensive centre, while in a contract year, is not going to sit well… in fact, it would likely cost Ales a few million dollars next season. Motivation should not be a problem for Ales (first on the ice?).

They are going to have to find a way to provide Hemsky with ample offensive opportunity. Which brings us to Mr. Yakupov. In his sophomore season, he may struggle (it’s been known to happen). His game certainly isn’t ready for that 3rd line role so… to the 4th line it is? Hmm. Makes me wonder:

Any chance Hemsky’s RE comes in higher than Yakupov’s this season? That’ll get us talking (and by talking I mean freaking out completely) LT.

32. maxwell_mischief says:

I think the solution to having an ugly bottom 6, is having a balanced top 9. I mean, it’ll take some mixing and matching, but who can tell who Perron might gel with anyway, or how Gordon can be used best. I wouldn’t be opposed to something like…
    Hall-Gordon-Yakupov
    Joensuu/Smyth/Jones-Nuge-Eberle (I’m still hoping Smyth falls apart before the season starts)
    Perron-Gagner-Hemsky
    Joensuu/Hamilton/Smyth/Jones/Eager/Acton/Lander/Brown

to me, that’s a better option than having a massive drop between the 2line and the 3line. I think it is imperative that 3 lines are going out and contributing offensively. I’ve noticed of late lots of competitive teams straying from the traditional top 6/bottom 6 “formula” in favour of sending out a balanced attack.

33. linkfromhyrule says:

bendelson:
    They are going to have to find a way to provide Hemsky with ample offensive opportunity.Which brings us to Mr. Yakupov.In his sophomore season, he may struggle (it’s been known to happen).His game certainly isn’t ready for that 3rd line role so…to the 4th line it is?Hmm.Makes me wonder:

Yakupov on the 4th line with Lander and joensuu. Now that would cause a sophomore slump. That is utterly insane. Yak was not a 4th line player on this team in his rookie season, and he sure as hell isn’t one now.

And why do they need to provide hemsky with offensive opportunity. The guy is a soloist, and paired off with a defensive/faceoff specialist like Gordon is better than with gagner/perron. Just get the puck to hemsky and hope something good happens.

34. kooler says:

3 scoring lines, make people chase the oilers.

Omark sounds like he can play with guys like Zetterberg and Brunner….throw him with some talent and see what happens. Throw Hall at center so he doesn’t get hurt….now you have RNH, Hall, Gagne and Gordon. Call up Hamilton to join a couple good stick handlers and look for rebounds.

Hall – Eberle – Perron, a bit of grit with speed, stick handling and good hands.
    RNH – Hamiton – Yakipov, big body with hands, setup guy and a sniper.
    Gagne – Hemsky – Omark, talent, cycle, cycle, cycle…..make people defend a 3rd line as well.
    Gordon – Joensuu – Smyth – Jones….make this the line to complete for.

Am i really stretching it, any takers?

35. striatic says:

linkfromhyrule: The guy is a soloist, and paired off with a defensive/faceoff specialist like Gordon is better than with gagner/perron.

i’ve been thinking this too.

“Soloist” is a great term to describe Hemsky. he doesn’t need another playmaker on his line and Gordon should be good for him.

that said, Hemsky needs a hard to the net finisher on LW. Hemsky likes to gain the zone and button hook for time, even 5v5, at which point he need a net-front threat. maybe Jones can do it, but that takes away from the defensive quality of the line. Smyth can do it, but doesn’t have the speed to get back if needed. PRV had the speed to do this job but isn’t here any more.

is Joensuu speedy enough? does he have the defensive skill? so many question marks that could be resolved by going out and getting a non-question mark player.

my personal favourite option is Vinny Prospal. 38 years old and showed he could still really wheel last season with CBJ. he can play with fellow Czech Hemsky leading into the Olympics. in combination, Prospal and Smyth represent a solid 3LW season and if Hall or Perron get injured, Prospal can play up the lineup very well.

i believe Howson brought Vinny to CBJ originally, and combined with the Czech olympic connection maybe that gets Prospal to Edmonton to play one last year.

36. bendelson says:

linkfromhyrule,

Utterly insane? Not the first time Bendelson has been accused of that…

Perhaps Perron moves down to the 3rd line and Yak moves to the 2nd line LW when Hemmer is feeling good and in full flight, but don’t kid yourself – a healthy Alex Hemsky will get significant time in the top 6. And he should.

In regards to Yak on the 4th line. Yes, certainly not an ideal placement – far from it – and never did I suggest that he would be locked there… but consider when they are double shifting Hall, that ’4th’ line becomes a match-up nightmare for the opposition no? A different version of the ’3 lines that can score’ scenario? Add these shifts to his strong PP minutes and Yak may not fall into an elevator shaft given this role at times this season.

“Just get the puck to hemsky and hope something good happens” – this is excellent.

37. linkfromhyrule says:

striatic,

I agree with the front of the net guy part, and prospal may be the one to fill that role, but it is like you say a temporary one year fix. I would much rather go after a younger player that can fill that role for a few years down the road. I’m already a little worried about smyth (likely) leaving next year because then our bottom 6 looks even worse!

I heard that omark might be getting signed to another team does that mean we would still get the benefit of trading his rights? Maybe macT had something in the works for it. I hope he has something in the works in general because our LW depth is awful

38. Lucinius says:

kooler,

Aside from the Hall to center issue which I addressed earlier, your lines have another problem, two actually, and both concern that third line of yours.

First of all, you have Hemsky sliding in as the LW, which is a massive departure for him, especially with how he plays the game (he almost always enters the offensive zone through the middle, or through the RW path). Having him suddenly swap wings at this point in his career with his skill set (instinct player, not a thinker) is asking for trouble along the lines of when the Oilers brought in Cole and forced him into his off-wing (a move that failed miserably). Not all wingers can merely swap sides to make lines work.

Secondly, Omark isn’t rejoining the Oilers, period. I’m actually a fan of his and wouldn’t mind seeing him return but it just isn’t happening. Omark will not play another game as an Oiler, fullstop.

Edit: I should throw in the third problem with this line, and its one a lot of people make (including the bloody Oilers); Hemsky should not be on the same line as Gagner — ever. They do not mesh well together offensively due to how they both like to enter the zone. We saw it time and time again last season (and many times prior, as well) where Gagner would routinely get in Hemsky’s way while he was trying to enter the zone, and when Gagner entered the zone in his preferred areas there was maybe five feet separating Gagner from Hemsky, making them incredibly easy to check and create turn overs.

I mean, I could nit-pick and point out another couple issues with your lines, but I won’t.

39. striatic says:

linkfromhyrule: I would much rather go after a younger player that can fill that role for a few years down the road.

the problem is that it is a different role a few years down the road.

once Hemsky leaves, the entire complexion of the 3rd line changes, and maybe you want a bit more of a playmaker at LW and more of a hard charger at RW.

the situation calls out for a one year fix.

40. Logan91 says:

Lucinius,

41. Gerta Rauss says:

striatic,

Agreeing with everything you’ve said this afternoon. There is no reason to go into this season with question marks on your 3rd line-get an established 2 way player ffs.

Prospal would be great if he’s willing to play in Edm-see if Hemsky can help with the recruiting process if needed.

42. Numenius says:

A lot of LW and C confusions on this thread. Damn you LT!

43. spoiler says:

Logan91: Lucinius, I thought Gagner and Hemsky played well together last season. Actually seemed like both their games slipped a bit when they were separated.

Speaking of separating things, I can’t separate this song from mental images of Klaus Kinski’s beautiful daughter.

44. kooler says:

Lucinius / Logan 91,

i’m a bit of a rookie at this but long time Oil fan.

you two are divided on the Gagne Hemsky thing and sounds like no possible way to get Omark on the ice. i like Brunner because he’s Brunner but it would of been interesting to have an Omark – Brunner – I guess Gange.

what are your thoughts on Hamilton adding some size to one of the two first lines? sounds like he has good hands as well.

would having a scoring 3rd line be a bad idea with a strong 4th checking line fighting for ice time?

45. kooler says:

Lucinius,

Lucinius / Logan 91,
    i’m a bit of a rookie at this but long time Oil fan.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

kooler: Gagne

kooler: Gange

were off to a good start here.

Ggnae.

Eagne.

Aegne.

Nager.

Ganer.

Gergna.

etc.

47. kooler says:

ALL
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Gagner, gagner……i was never strong at spelling, little better at math.

48. russ99 says:

I’m not ready to believe that Gordon is a Horcoff clone, especially in the offensive zone.

All too often Horcoff (and Belanger) would cheat back on offense, leaving wingers out to dry and putting us back on our heels.

I’m hopeful that Gordon has more of a complete 2-way game, and that his face off advantage will lead to more puck possession and scoring chances to whoever else ends up on our third line.

Also, with the improvement on defense, the third line will have more support than in years past.

Would love to see a big winger on that line, like a Ryane Clowe, but maybe we get one at or before the deadline.