Steve Tambellini could write a book about acquiring enforcers, God knows he did it enough times as Oiler GM. The free agent signings of men like Darcy Hordichuk and Ben Eager, added to the trades for men like Mike Brown, and the use of high picks on kids like Cameron Abney made certain of two things: the Oilers had a lot of these guys and overpaid for all of them. Mike Brown is my favorite. Why? He appears to have satisifed those who want this player type on the roster. Good. Then I like him, too. Hail Mike Brown!
RE 13-14: 51, 1-3-4
- None of the things we talk about on this blog measure the performance of an enforcer. Not true. We talk about facial hair, face punching, playing on bad teams and wasted at-bats.
- How then can you claim he’s fantastic? Next question.
- He doesn’t do much to help move the puck in a good direction. A nice sunny day today, high 24. Hmmm. Should I barbeque?
- Answer me this much: Is he a good enforcer? He appears to be, Oilers seem to like him. Brown certainly was a willing fighter, and there’s evidence (anecdotal) that the skill guys do appreciate having a teammate like that on their side. I think it’s probably the equivalent of a good rain that stills the thunder and brings out the sunshine.
- What the HELL is this? What?
- What about Corsi you idiot? Well, CorsiRel is in the Vollman below.
- And Brown is in the part of the graph that suggests extreme shelter. Yes. And a sorrow balloon.
- HOW can you argue that he’s worth a roster spot? Shhh. Quiet down, man.
- Why? Because, if the Oilers don’t like this guy they’ll probably trade a SECOND round pick for the next guy!
- Ha-ha, Ha-ha-ha-ha. Nine questions for a lame joke. No worries, glad to oblige.
- How many since BG? Well, there was Zack Stortini, JF Jacques, Brad Winchester, Jesse Boulerice, Steve MacIntyre, Hordichuk, Eager, Brown.
- EIGHT? Hole-lee. Who was the best? Best hockey player? Stortini. Best enforcer? MacIntyre.
- What is Brown? Probably best combination of enforcer/hockey player. Buddy hangs in there, balls out.
- How much did he play? 8:35 at evens with Edmonton, 4:36 in Toronto.
- How does that compare to the Golden days of Laraque? BG had years he played 8.5 minutes a night, but he also had a season of 13 goals and several seasons where he post point totals in the ‘teens.
- Did Brown replace Eager or Hordichuk? Eager to my eye.
- So they need another tough guy? God I hope not, that’s part of the problem.
- Would you rather have Brown or Ryan Hamilton on the roster? I’m actually fine with both, 12-13F’s and rotate in and out. I understand there are elements of the game that intelligent men feel a need to fill with an enforcer, and that I’m not on the ice so don’t know the true value of an enforcer to the overall game.
- But it doesn’t show up in the numbers. And therefore has little value to me personally.
- And don’t keep trading third round picks to fill the hole. You bet. I think that’s maybe the biggest contribution Mike Brown can give to the Oilers. It’s an important role.
MIKE BROWN VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER 2012-13
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
Lowdown with Lowetide back on the air at 10 this morning, check out the guest list:
- Alan Hull from Copper and Blue. We’ll talk about the C&B top 25 under 25 (they’re getting to the tough calls now) and I’ll ask Alan about the value tradeoff Edmonton made when dealing #37 overall.
- Eric Rodgers will discuss the OKC Barons. We’ll talk Toni Rajala and his future, try to make sense of a suddenly insane blueline situation and then fill in the center depth chart in the AHL.
- Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. Bruce is involved in two prospect countdowns: one with C&B and the other at the Cult of Hockey. We’ll discuss the difference in the two, and I’ll ask Bruce this question: which Oiler forward prospect not currently in the NHL does he consider the best?
- Craig Moonen from Krush Performance. Baseball’s pennant races are heating up, the drug scandal has had a major impact and some of these pitching performances are outrageous.
@Lowetide_ on twitter and 10-1260 via text. This is going to be fun!