RE 13-14 NAIL YAKUPOV: REBEL REBEL

Nail Yakupov took 4.7 seconds to conquer Edmonton. Grown men gush about him, adult women giggle when relaying the ‘my captain’ story and Don Cherry just doesn’t get it: the kid is perfect. He is from half a world away and he’s one of us. Nail Yakupov belongs to Edmonton and vice versa, and 48 games into the relationship it’s true: we’ll never be the same.

RE 13-14: 82, 29-23-52

1. Who was the last Oiler rookie to lead the team in goals? Way back to 2010. Taylor Hall. And now Yakupov–as a rookie!
  2. Lordy. Yes.
  3. What were the good things about his stats? A nice 5×5/60 (2.20/3rd among Oil F’s), that was solid. The stats show some real brilliance, his rookie season was a match for Taylor Hall’s–.646 points per game.
  4. Holy Crap. Did he play more than Hall did as a rookie? Yakupov got 12:04 EV TOI and 2:28 PP TOI as a rookie, Hall got 15:26 EV TOI, 2:23 PK TOI.
  5. Same points per game, way less playing time? Yes. Yes that’s it.
  6. Your RE is WAY too low! Well, there’s more to the story.
  7. Like what? His shooting percentage (20.99%) is off the charts, there’s no WAY we can assume he’ll do that again. Ever. Also, his shot per game total (1.7) was quite low. I’m not an expert on shooting percentage estimates and won’t start now, but if he remains at 1.7/game the young Russian would end the season at fewer than 140 shots on goal.
  8. What did he shoot in the KHL? 3.4 shots per game, double the NHL total. His shooting percentage was 12%.
  9. How did you do the RE? I don’t do shooting percentages for RE, I’m trying to get three seasons on a straight line. Yakupov’s junior seasons are pretty damn strong, and his rookie NHL season was too. As best I can tell, this projection is reasonable.
  10. Can you justify the goals based on the shots/percentage? Well, if we assume he would increase his shot total and decrease his shooting percentage, we could make a story. If you went with 2.5 shots per game and 14% shooting percentage–I mean this isn’t exactly my specialty, but reasonable implies ‘down the middle’–and came out with 28.7 goals–is that reasonable?
  11. How the hell do I know, I’m the guy who asks questions. Yeah, okay. Right.
  12. What did you project for Hall in year 2? I had him pegged at 70, 32-28-60 (.857) and he covered it (61, 27-26-53 .869).
  13. So, you’re projecting Yakupov to have a significantly inferior second season to Hall, despite the rookie match and the lack of playing time compared to Hall? It’s tough, but there’s the shooting percentage problem and the short rookie season problem and there might be a TOI problem because Hemsky. So, honestly, this is the toughest RE of the summer by a long mile.
  14. Okay, well, it’s probably wrong. Thanks.
  15. Let me ask you something. Without the shooting percentage, without the Hemsky, without without without, pure octane matching Hall balls out RE for Yakupov? It would be 82, 39-31-70.
  16. What are we dealing with here? Look, there’s no way. We can’t call that reasonable, not from here.
  17. I know the shooting Hemsky. I got it. Still… Yeah. We don’t know who he is yet. His rookie season was dynamite. If you look at him from a certain angle, he looks like the DiMaggio.
  18. Why can’t these kids win an award? The hockey Gods have decided the first trophy they win will be the one that counts the most.
  19. You shut your whore mouth. These kids are fantastic.
  20. Did he show progress during the season? Oh hell yes. Coach Krueger in early April: “There are a few things that happen if we go back 11 games and one of them was definitely Nail growing up in such a quick period of time. He’s very responsible without the puck, you can see him making strong decisions, he was the first forward back on multiple occasions (Monday). He plays physical, takes multiple responsibilities defensively. He’s been getting smarter with the puck and more patient. He’s understanding the difference between simple plays versus opportunity and that’s all showing up. We’re excited for a kid that age, what he’s done here in these two and a half months, it certainly shows us that we have an exciting future with Nail.”
  21. Do you want to talk about the 2line? It was a difficult season. The Gagner-Hemsky combination–a pretty certain duo–fell off the rails. And Yakupov (along with Paajarvi) were part of the disaster.
  22. Where SHOULD he play this season? His best linemates last season were Gagner and Hemsky, suspect it’ll be Gagner and Perron this coming season.
  23. Why do you like him so much? Impossible to answer. You have to have lived through the absolute hell of being an Oiler fan these years to understand. To live through that, and then to almost miss on getting him at the draft, then to see how wonderfully gifted he is on the ice, well, that’s special. But the personality? The person he is? The cocky rebel who has no idea nor care about authority and the silliness of the hockey hierarchy? If he hadn’t arrived, someone would have had to invent him. Yakupov is like the human bullshit detector–flushed Belanger out in 4.7 seconds, Don Cherry shortly after.
  24. Why this song? Because Yakupov, like all rebels, mostly pisses off authority because he’s completely unaware it exists. Don Cherry only wants him filmed from the waist up, Eric Belanger prepared to read him the Ethan Moreau ‘rules of a pro’ manifesto as Yak City screamed across the ice with a Hollywood smile and the city of Edmonton rejoicing with 4.7 seconds left in the game. He’s the ultimate outsider, and couldn’t give a rat’s ass. God bless this kid, I love him to death.
  25. Man, that was sweet when Yak scored to win the game. He scored to tie the game, but that’s what legends do–create their own story. Nail Yakupov went from #1 overall pick with big dreams to a legend in 48 games. Next stop: icon.

NAIL YAKUPOV VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER 2012-13

hemsky vollman

NAIL YAKUPOV 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.20 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.20 (5th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 7th toughest among regular forwards (second-third line opp)
  • Qual Team: 7th best teammates among regular forwards
  • Corsi Rel: -5.1(11th best among regular forwards, -15.22 CorsiON)
  • Zone Start: 51.1% (6th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 51.0% (6th best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 81/20.99% (1st among F’s>70 shots)
  • Boxcars: 48, 17-14-31
  • Plus Minus: -4 on a team that was -15

THE GOAL

53 Responses to "RE 13-14 NAIL YAKUPOV: REBEL REBEL"

Don Cherry only wants him filmed from the waist up

Fantastic.

5×5 points per 60: 2.20 (3rd among regular forwards)

That number is pretty ridiculous for an 18 year old.

You put it into context with the SH%, but fuck it, it still makes me giddy.

Rookie year 5v5 pts/60

Yak 2.12
    RNH 1.98
    Eberle 1.79
    Hall 1.78

Crazy.

I was going to list most common F line mates for each, but stats.hockeyanalysis.com is down. Will do it when its back up.

The great thing is that he starting become a more complete player in just 30 games or so.

There is no ceiling for this kid.

I think that’s why so many of us are wowed.

You don’t know where to draw the line.

Him and Hall on the same team means the next 7 years or so will be pretty damn good to be an Oiler fan.

If Yak is playing with Sam and Sam’s corsi black hole was a one year coaching/systems blip, then opposing D are going to be very tired playing against the Oilers.

They’ll be “tough to play against” because they will have the damn puck and be wearing rocket skates when they do.

3. russ99 says:

That clip doesn’t do the Yak moment justice.

You need 59 more minutes of rank frustration, the worst officiating I’ve ever seen, and the waved off goal that lead the fans to nearly riot.

Then it takes the proper perspective.

Game of the year. :)
    Better than the Flames shellacking and holding on after 6-0 vs. the Hawks.

4. jp says:

“The hockey Gods have decided the first trophy they win will be the one that counts the most.”
    “You shut your whore mouth.”

That was my favorite. Very nice writeup LT.

The shooting% is coming down, but the shot rates I’m sure are going up. How good can he be? We’ll just have to wait and see.

5. theres oil in virginia says:

Hey LT, no Lowdown show today?

theres oil in virginia:
    Hey LT, no Lowdown show today?

No. Back tomorrow.

7. Racki says:

Re: Kings game above..

I’ve been to a lot of great games over the years, and had the pleasure of being at this one too. For 59 minutes, this was one of the worst, most frustrating games I’d ever attended. As the Oilers showed me in 97 though, never give up hope. That atmosphere at Rexall was crazy this game. I got hit by a couple of drinks when fans littered the ice, but I didn’t care… the refs deserved to know how terrible they called the game. Not only that, but, and I’m not sure how much they showed this on TV, Quick and Richards were really giving Yakupov the gears about a BARELY late shot after the whistle. Quick looked like a real whiner in my eyes after that (and I laughed when Hall intentionally shot the puck in the net about 3-5 seconds late after a whistle on a much later play.. my hero).

When Yak scored and did his knee slide, he was converting all that pent up anger into jubilance. The critics who hated his celly can shove it. If they knew the emotion everyone in that building went through, from the Kings trying to push Yak around to the horribly called game, they would have understood. It was really our own personal playoff game. As far as I’m concerned, I would have knee slid on Quick’s face after scoring.

Moment of the year, hands down.

8. nycoil says:

Fantastic read as always, thank you. I think many would agree Nail’s going to be the best sniper out of the kids, and that’s saying something, but when he finds the range he’s going to combine Hall’s snap shot strength with Eberle-like accuracy. And we haven’t even discussed that one-timer. I think we could be talking about the chase for fifty in a couple of years.
    He played well with Hall tail-end of last year, all fury and attack and #4 even mentioned their similar approach to the game, if I recall. Do you think there’s any chance he plays on the Hall line, leaving Eberle with Perron?

9. BlacqueJacque says:

I had a dream a few days ago about the Oilers season opener. They come out flat-footed as usual, confused and for some reason deciding to try the third line vs the top line of the opposing team. Back in their own zone after an icing, they manage to clear the puck and the opposing defenceman bobbles it at the blue line as the first line come on top. They start swarming and it’s not long until the opponents take a penalty.

The puck drops in the opposing zone at what would be the right hashmarks for the Oilers. Nuge wins the draw, it goes to Yak, Yak makes a snap pass to Hall (who is the only Oiler on the team capable of receiving it) who skates wide then suddenly cuts in and drives the net. The left side of the opposing team collapses on Hall as he dishes it to Nuge in the slot, who feathers it to Eberle in the corner, and Ebs immediately taps it to Yakupov who’s at the top of the faceoff circle. The camera can barely keep up with the action and in fact misses that blistering cannon blast from Yakupov. The puck disappears. Is it in the netting? Oh yes baby, but it’s in the right netting. The crowd roars, and even in my dreams I spill my beer on the carpet as I stand up suddenly and cheer.

Rookie year most common linemates:

Yak – Gagner, Paajarvi
    RNH – Eberle, Hall
    Eberle – Hall, Horcoff
    Hall – Eberle, Horcoff

They each got the soft 2nds as rookies, except RNH started to see first pair D in February of his rookie campaign when opposing coaches stopped sending 1st pairing D after Hemsky and sent them after Hall.

That being said, I think there is a clear step down for Yak’s rookie year linemates.

Eberle and Hall were rookies together, but Horcoff was a great comfort blanket and they could learn the game without getting pounded too much.

Yak will become the guy who pushes the river like Hall.

Maybe not to the extent that Hall does, but I wouldn’t bet against it.

nycoil:

12. striatic says:

beautifully written LT.

Nail Yakupov is my favourite Oiler, and i continue to stand by my projection of him being ultimately better than Taylor Hall, which is saying a lot.

i think your RE for his sophomore year is about right. he needs to get his shot rate up and overtake Eberle on the depth chart for him to realize his potential and i don’t think that’s what this season is about for him.

i think he follows the Taylor Hall career track, hopefully with fewer injuries, and goes supernova in year three. year two is just going to be about getting that shot rate up in more or less sheltered minutes.

i think Yakupov is going to push Eberle to be a better player, as if he wasn’t already totally driven.

nycoil,

He may have a top 10 shot in the NHL already.

He dents pipes and rips the mesh while leaving vapour trails.

14. steveb12344 says:

Woodguy:
    nycoil,

He may have a top 10 shot in the NHL already.

Nail’s passes are a top ten shot in the NHL. Some of his shots were so fast that slo-mo replay can’t even see them.

I still think he might have scored on that play where no one saw it and the Oilers came back and scored anyways before the play stopped. The subsequent goal meant there was no need for the refs to go back and look, though I watched the replay later many times and even slowed down, you just couldn’t see the puck.

15. Racki says:

Lowetide: I think Hall and Yak will play more together this season, yes. It’s one of the really big questions moving forward–do you put the #1 overalls on the same line? I wonder if the Oilers will have a different look under Eakins–one of the ways they could change things is by putting those two on the same line.

How would you like to be the set up man on that Rocket Richard sandwich??

Hall-Nuge-Yakupov… could be pretty dandy.

16. RexLibris says:

I had some discussions with Flames fans the other day about the kids. One or two were voicing their preference for Hall or Eberle as future NHL stars and debating which one they will grow to hate the most.

I suggested that Yakupov would become their Public Enemy #1. Partly on account of his skill and shot, but also due to his intense competitiveness and drive for the kill. His enthusiasm for the game means he’ll go as hard to tie the game as he will to score the 9th goal in a rout. That coupled with his confidence and willingness to speak his mind means I suspect his may be the next Oilers jersey to find its way under a Flames’ skate blades.

Having Hall on the LW and Yakupov on the RW kind of makes me think of Sather’s comment about a fire hydrant’s scoring touch when paired with a favourable linemate. All a center needs to do is keep his feet moving, cover the break-out and head towards the net.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I know the shooting Hemsky. I got it.”

I love this. The old “I don’t really got it, in fact, I kind of dismiss everything you said, ’cause I wasn’t really listening… now back to my well-worn assumptions.”

——–
    “You shut your whore mouth.”

hahaha! This guy is getting ornery.

——–
    “Why this song? Because Yakupov, like all rebels, mostly pisses off authority because he’s completely unaware it exists. Don Cherry only wants him filmed from the waist up, Eric Belanger prepared to read him the Ethan Moreau ‘rules of a pro’ manifesto as Yak City screamed across the ice with a Hollywood smile and the city of Edmonton rejoicing with 4.7 seconds left in the game. He’s the ultimate outsider, and couldn’t give a rat’s ass. God bless this kid, I love him to death.”

Precisely. The best take down of authority is never some full-throated, manifesto-laden, piece of “inspired” rhetoric or action… it is always the naifs cynical gesture. It is Diogenes in his tub laughing at everyone. It is Groucho composing a letter or reading through a contract.

Capt. Spaulding: Now then. In re yours of the fifth inst., yours to hand and beg to rep… brackets…
    [pause]
    Capt. Spaulding: … We have gone over the ground carefully, and we seem to believe, i.e., to wit, e.g., in lieu, that, uh, despite all our… precautionary measures which have been involved…
    [pause]
    Capt. Spaulding: … uh, we seem to believe that it is hardly necessary for us to proceed unless we, uh, receive an ipso facto that is not negligible at this moment, quotes, unquotes, and quotes…
    [pause]
    Capt. Spaulding: … uh, hoping this finds you, I beg to remain…
    Horatio Jamison: [interrupting] Hoping this finds him where?
    Capt. Spaulding: Well, let him worry about that. Don’t be so inquisitive, Jamison.
    [insultingly]
    Capt. Spaulding: Sneak.
    [pause]
    Capt. Spaulding: I say, hoping this finds you, I beg to remain, as of June 9th, cordially yours, regards. That’s all, Jamison.

——-
    “Man, that was sweet when Yak scored to win the game. He scored to tie the game, but that’s what legends do–create their own story. Nail Yakupov went from #1 overall pick with big dreams to a legend in 48 games. Next stop: icon.”

“You’re not going to use the story Mr. Scott.”
    “No. This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.”

———
    “The Goal”

If you look at 2:30 of that video, there is a conference of elders in front of Yakupov. Horcoff, Belanger and Smyth gather in front of him and Horcoff shoots Belanger a smile and a “good job” on the faceoff right before Smyth comes over to put his arm around Belanger and say something to him.

I think that is the moment Horcoff and Smyth knew something special had happened and at the same time a rift had been opened. My guess is they are trying to quash any beef.

They are leaders, trying to keep the group together. Yakupov is too happy to notice anything. Belanger is seething.

18. bookje says:

That game was good vs evil on the ice. The empire was against us and the hero killed the dragon moments before the orphans were dropped into the fire.

Well, that’s how I remember it anyway.

19. Clarkenstein says:

Yak = The Real Fucking Deal!

20. Clarkenstein says:

BlacqueJacque,

Man you’re eating way too much rich food before bedtime!! LOL

21. 42 percent body fat says:

Woodguy,

Gagner 1.96 pp60 5×5 rookie year. Linemates Cogliao and Nilsson.

Oilers have enjoyed some quality rookie seasons since 07 with the exception of 09, 08

22. 42 percent body fat says:

check his shot out.

Not very accurate but a laser

23. oilerman1000 says:

RNH and Eberle think and play the game the same way. Their advanced stats suggest they’re better together than apart. Conversely Hall and Yak play the game the same way with power, and speed being their MO. Gagner has shown he can play with Hall and plays poorly with finesse players like Hemsky (who thinks the game more like a RNH than a hall).

My suggestion: A 1a and a 1b line.

How about RNH Eberle Perron for 1a. They get more defensive starts than 1b and play less sheltered minutes. They’re a finesse thinking line with two great one shot goal scoters for RNH to feed.

Gagner Hall Yakapov for 1b. They get the more offensive minutes and play a power vs whatever you can throw at them . They play a more physical in your face power game with speed to burn.

Thoughts?

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I missed this last week. I know it’s still very early, but for us draft junkies this is pretty interesting.

My favorite here is the German. Saw him very good at the WJC last year.

25. 42 percent body fat says:

oilerman1000,

I think you got it backwards. Eberle does not have a defensive game, nuge doesnt drive the bus and Perron is not known how to fit into the scheme yet.

Hall drives the bus. He gets the puck from the oilers zone to the opposition zone. And regardless his line, especially with Yak on it will get the tough minutes if the other coach is able to. Nuge and Eberle show better offense against the weaker opponents. Let them take them apart.

And despite Gagners face off problems he is still a better option than the nuge for it.

26. Lois Lowe says:

I think there is a good chance that Gagner centers Hall and Yak on 1A while RNH centers Perron and Eberle on 1A(a). I also think that when doing the RE for Yak we have to take into account how much more talent there is this team than there was for Hall and Ebs.

27. rocket says:

Does one need to ‘temper’ the RE’s based on the fact that Dallas Eakins stresses each player to be first and foremost defensive minded?

28. 42 percent body fat says:

For those of you that think we should trade gagner, I pretty sure Nail would have something to say about that.

Also after watching this he line has to be 4-89-64.

If Nuge becomes what we expect him to be defensively why do we need another top 2 center that has to be defensively if the one we got can take his wingers to 30 – 40 goal status.

29. Andropod says:

Do you think Yak City will outperform Hall and Eberle in the clutch moments of deep playoff games?

30. Lois Lowe says:

I think that Yak has more poise and eye glow then either one. Clutch-ness? Not so sure.

31. GATO BANDIDO says:

My second-favorite Yak moment came in a 4-1 late-season home loss to Chicago. The Oilers had just lost 8 of 9 to fall out of playoff contention in a horribly disheartening death-spiral. The Blackhawks score about 5 minutes into the game, then Yakupov ties it. He celebrates by reaching down and KISSING the Oilers crest on his jersey. That’s when I fell in love.

32. nycoil says:

I agree with those who have mentioned Gagner between Hall and Yak. Posted it in the Gagner and RNH RE threads but you give Gagner more defensive responsibilities while having Hall and Yak all hellfire and brimstone and driving the bus offensively. They go as 1A until the Nuge’s shoulder is 100% (January?) Unless it’s working so well you don’t “fix it.” Let the Gordon line handle the other toughs from the opposition and give RNH between Perron and Eberle the chance to murder the soft parade with a heady possession game and three pairs of golden mitts. Let Nuge ease back into things. Samwise and the two riflemen could be something to behold. Yak City is amazing. So glad we went BPA.

33. Hammers says:

oilerman1000:
    RNH and Eberle think and play the game the same way.Their advanced stats suggest they’re better together than apart.Conversely Hall and Yak play the game the same way with power, and speed being their MO.Gagner has shown he can play with Hall and plays poorly with finesse players like Hemsky (who thinks the game more like a RNH than a hall).

My suggestion:A 1a and a 1b line.

How about RNH Eberle Perron for 1a.They get more defensive starts than 1b and play less sheltered minutes.They’re a finesse thinking line with two great one shot goal scoters for RNH to feed.

Gagner Hall Yakapovfor 1b.They get the more offensive minutes and play a power vs whatever you can throw at them .They play a more physical in your face power game with speed to burn.

Thoughts?

Totally agree and was going to write the same thing .

34. justDOit says:

A great moment, but I’m not aware of anything better than shellacked Flames. Nope.

I love how Yakupov and Eberle are both down low in the rebound zones – doesn’t matter which way that puck bounces!

35. Gret99zky says:

I get the sense that Yaks numbers could have even been better last year because he spent the first handful of games making extra passes to teammates instead of burying the biscuit in order to not appear selfish and to fit in as a rookie.

Man the kid is fun to watch.

And he loves, loves, loves to score goals.

36. Andropod says:

Or, put differently, how many teams will end up with a higher scoring top 6 than Nuge/ Hall/ Ebs/ Gags/ Perron/ Yak City – regardless of who plays with who on our team?

37. Zipdot says:

We’re deep enough in the top-6 that we don’t need to have Eberle on the 1Line. So for Crying Out Loud, let us please correct this problem. Swap Yak City with Eberle and try both Gagner and RNH on the 1Line and see what’s best.

Gagner’s a veteran next year, and his faceoffs are looking more decent, so I think there are some good reasons to see how he performs with Hall and Yak as his wingers. This is to say nothing about his defensive game; I think that may be underrated.

Yak City is a tie for my favourite player. His Smiles/60 is like, 3.5.

After the signing, I bought a Gagner sweater. I regaled my girlfriend with tales of his fighting left-handed enforcers and his 8 point game and his priceless attitude and I think he’s her favourite now too.

Yak City and Sam Bam Thank-you Ma’am are two of our best players.

38. Zipdot says:

Andropod: Where do you think our top 6 will end up in total goals scored compared to the rest of the league?

This is brought up from time to time. As dreamy as our dream team top-6 is, probably about 5-10 teams have a top-6 on par or (hides behind something) better/more proven than ours.

Topping our top-6 scoring, I’d suggest probably Pittsburgh and Chicago for sure. Maybe Ottawa and Boston.

39. Marc says:

justDOit:

The Flames beatdown was the highlight of my season too.

Hunter’s comments about the baby lions killing the little red gazelles were the icing on the cake. They still make me giggle.

40. prairieschooner says:

It is pretty easy to get carried away when talking about our strike force but on a serious note
    Will the Oilers score more than 500 goals next season?

prairieschooner:
    Will the Oilers score more than 500 goals next season?

Well short of that, I’m afraid.

42. VanOil says:

I hope there is a camera in the room for the first Eakins – Yakupov 1 on 1. Eakins the coach of players not teams strives to find out what motivates the boy. He leaves the meeting broken, as motivation is not required; Yakupov comes pre-wound, batteries included, phaser set to kill.

In the hallway visibly shaken Eakins bumps into MacT and Michael Parkatti having a quite chat about recursive algebra. MacT smiles knowing what has just happened. Eakins asks what do I do with him. Michael suggests he get back in there and say “Nail any game you get more than 5 shots on goal we will win”.

Nail averages 10 shots a game, because Nail. Oilers win.

p.s. in the Nail slide video is there a point where Hall standing on the bench faces the crowed and encourages them to keep on cheering with a Arsenio Hall style whoop whoop gesture?

43. hags9k says:

What a game, what a goal! This kid’s a beaut.

Somebody is going to have to remind me about a couple things. What did he say in response to Belanger? I remember the poopy pants vet’s lecture but don’t remember Yak’s comments…

Is this the “my captain” story? Or is that another topic…

Great write up, but 29? Cmoooooooon. Let’s just give in and give him 30. Why fight it.

44. justDOit says:

prairieschooner,

300 would still be quite a pace in the modern era – I’d settle for that. 3.66 per game.

45. commonfan14 says:

It’s funny that “AK 4.7″ hasn’t caught on as a nickname.

46. russ99 says:

commonfan14:
    It’s funny that “AK 4.7″ hasn’t caught on as a nickname.

N64 is one of the better hockey nicknames already. :D

47. Vince says:

russ99:
    That clip doesn’t do the Yak moment justice.

Then it takes the proper perspective.

Game of the year.
    Better than the Flames shellacking and holding on after 6-0 vs. the Hawks.

this sums it up perfectly. ridiculous game with new rule penaltiesand no opportunity to establish momentum, every Oil fan who watched that game understood what Yak was feeling. Perspective is important. If only the MSM and Belanger understood that in the hours that followed.

48. gcw_rocks says:

I think we need to be careful expecting a shooting percentage over 12%, his KHL number. That’s a pretty good shooting percentage and until we see some track record of performance above it, we should error on the side of caution, ala Mr. Eberle.

I kinda get the 1st overall line concept, but I still think the smarter move, if you bust up Hall-RNH-Eberle is to go with a 1a and 1b concept with Hall – Gagner – Yakupov and Perron – RNH – Eberle. That’s a close as we are ever going to come again to the Gretzky line Messier line combo of the 80s and would undoubtedly driver opposition coaches crazy. You could also run each line 20-21 minutes a night and the fourth line would barely have to leave the bench. And with the quality of the Oilers projected fourth line, that would be a very good thing.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hags9k:
    What a game, what a goal!This kid’s a beaut.

Somebody is going to have to remind me about a couple things.What did he say in response to Belanger?I remember the poopy pants vet’s lecture but don’t remember Yak’s comments…

Is this the “my captain” story?Or is that another topic…

Great write up, but 29? Cmoooooooon.Let’s just give in and give him 30.Why fight it.

It was some time later. In one of those puff pieces the Oilers do on their players. They asked a random sampling of players various questions, like “who’s your funniest teammate?”

Yakupov said without hesitation or malice: “Belanger.”

Fill in the details for yourself.

The only guy giving you a hard time about having fun, is the guy you think is the funniest. But you aren’t being a d-bag ironic about it. Basically, Yakupov was saying, “haha Eric, that’s beauty!” oblivious to the blow he was meant to suffer from Belanger’s scorn.

There is a Greek word that perfectly describes this: ῥᾳθυμία (rhathymia)

I.easiness of temper, a taking things easily, Thuc.
    2.recreation, relaxation, amusement, Eur.
    II.in bad sense, indifference, sluggishness, laziness, Xen., etc.; ῥ. κτήσασθαι to get a name for laziness, Eur.
    2.heedlessness, rashness, Plat.

The word in its most basic and archaic sense means a kind of “indifferent cheerfulness” (For you modern Greek Lit. lovers, think Kazantzakis’ Zorba).

It gets taken up by various moralists (re: Plato and the entire Christian tradition) to mean simply “laziness, sloth and imprudence.”

The word perfectly frames two very different perspectives on life. Yakupov and Belanger would never be able to agree on its meaning.

50. Pablo Aimar says:

- If healthy Yakupov will score 35-40 goals next year. 50 a season in his prime. Yes, 50.
    - He’ll be the best player on the team by the end of the year. That will continue going forward.
    - That draft lottery win really was a massive stroke of good fortune.

51. supernova says:

Love Nail,

What a tough life having to love Yak, Hall, RNH, Ebs, Gags, Schultz.

Man it’s came along way from 2003 when I cheered like hell for Hemsky because he seemed like the only high skill guy. What we still have Hemsky.

Awesome, just win baby.

52. Rebilled says:

commonfan14,

There’s also already an AK-47 in basketball, Andrei Kirilenko and he wears 47, just sayin’.

I think it’s possible he scores 47 goals pretty soon though.

Hall and Yak are going to get a lot of points this year.

A lot.

53. hags9k says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Rom, awesome thanks. I missed that Belanger comment somehow, along with the “my captain” story…

And thanks for the Greek lit lesson, now it sort of makes sense how all those super deep fried extravaganza pub food platters are often named after Zorba…