RE 13-14 NICK SCHULTZ: TONIGHT

Nick Schultz is the final defenseman for RE this summer, and that’s probably the right spot. My estimate has him playing for the Oilers just past the halfway point in the season, and I believe he’ll be a deadline (or sooner) asset moved along. The Oilers are without their 2014 2nd rd (Perron) and 2014 4th rd (Mike Brown) picks, and Schultz is very likely heading out of town in an effort to retrieve one of them.

RE 13-14: 35, 1-4-5

1. So, end of the line? Yeah, suspect this could be quick.
  2. Why? There’s no room. The Oilers have Smid and Ference on long term deals for good money, and Petry will get paid starting next summer. The organization has acquired some possible options for his role this summer (Grebeshkov, Belov, Larsen) who will cost many fewer dollars, and of course have men like Oscar Klefbom and David Musil who are pushing from  the bottom. This is a fairly deep defensive system now.
  3. It never worked out for him here. No, it wasn’t a good fit. I think Steve Tambellini made a lot of moves like this though, it was kind of his style. He was King Midas in reverse, his time as GM was wooden. I don’t honestly recall a trade he made that was wildly successful for the team. Part of that was the rebuild, but hell man Tom Gilbert had value the night they sent him away.
  4. What was his first move? Elevated Rick Olczyk to Asst GM and Legal Affairs.
  5. What was his last move? Dealt for Jarred Smithson two months late.
  6. What move best exemplifies Tambellini’s time in Edmonton? The deal that saw Justin Williams land in Los Angeles, Erik Cole return to Carolina and Edmonton acquire Patrick O’Sullivan. I think that one sums it up.
  7. Anything else we should remember from the Tambo era? A couple of good contracts–Taylor Hall, especially–and the timeframe that began with MacT’s firing (April 15, 2009) and ended with Tambellini’s firing (April 15, 2013) were the most difficult years in franchise history. Just awful. 15 years I’ll never get back.
  8. How does a guy like Tambellini end up as GM? Well, I think there were some warning signs. He didn’t get the asst GM job in Vancouver for about 20 years, so this was a long, slow process. He was hired about 1990, got the AGM job in 2008.
  9. Back to Nick Schultz. What’s his value? A second or a third at the deadline.
  10. That’s a lot. No, not really. NHL teams will gladly give up a pick in the 80′s in exchange for a good night’s sleep during the playoffs. Buffalo lost all of their defensemen in 2006 spring during the post-season, cost them a trip to the finals.
  11. Yeah, Carolina harpooned their blueline. Well, it’s all over now. Sigh.
  12. Why wouldn’t a team deal for Schultz now? Salary cap, he’s making too much. Better to wait, make sure your team is in the running and make sure Schultz is healthy.
  13. His Corsi Rel looks good. Sure, there’s nothing wrong with him aside from the miles and his birth certificate.
  14. Why did Minny move him? WHY? They were getting a better player with a wide range of skills. You make that trade 10 times out of 10, and if you don’t they come down the hallway with a jack hammer.
  15. What are his positives? Good speed, gritty, he has an idea about where to be on the ice and the number one rule of defense (and real estate): location, location, location. Schultz has been on losing teams for awhile now, suspect many teams think he’s Jean-Guy Talbot 1968 spring. Now, much of that has to do with the quality of the team (stay-at-home types only have defense to show for their efforts. when it’s wanting, it is difficult to prove value). I’m not convinced he’s worth the money being paid, bet NHL GMs feel the same way. One never knows, however. Talbot played through 1971 spring.
  16. You’ve been a sorta dink about him,with that dog whistle stuff. You’re an ass. Yes well, it’s difficult to get through these long seasons so humor becomes a crutch.
  17. Why this song? I could have chosen any number of songs about death, chose this one because it’s a lovely ballad.
  18. This is NOT about death! Yeah, yeah it is. It’s about an overdose. Bowie cleaned up the Iggy Pop  intro and it makes a dandy radio song, but yeah it’s about death. I think the end of the line for Shultz in Edmonton could mean a re-birth elsewhere, but I’m far more positive about the Oilers 2014-2020 than his future.
  19. What team will acquire him? Hmmm. A team like Vancouver, or Chicago? Something like that.
  20. So he has value? I’ve watched NHL hockey since the 1960′s, defensemen always have value. It’s a tough damn position and all of them get hurt when it’s not convenient.
  21. Will you miss him? I’m not trying to be funny here, but chances are I won’t remember him.
  22. Who will any of us remember from the last 5 years? Steve Tambellini.

Nick Schultz Vollman Sledgehammer 2012-13

2012-13 vollman oilers d

Nick Schultz 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.23 overall
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.01 overall
  • Offensive Zone Start: 41.0 toughest among Minnesota regulars over 40 games
  • CorsiRel: -8.7 in Minny, worst on the team among regulars over 35GP
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest in Minny, although the 3-5 D appeared quite close
  • Boxcars: 82, 1-6-7
  • Plus Minus: -12

Nick Schultz 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.73 (3rd among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among regular D
  • Qual Team: 3rd best among regular D
  • CorsiRel: 4.3 2nd best among regular D (-8.53 CorsiON)
  • Offensive Zone Start: 48.1 2nd easiest among regular D
  • Offensive Zone Finish: 49.5 3rd best among regular D
  • Boxcars: 48, 1-8-9
  • Plus Minus: -13 on a team that was -15

53 Responses to "RE 13-14 NICK SCHULTZ: TONIGHT"

1. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

I don’t get the Nultz hate. Is he that much different than Ference?

2. theres oil in virginia says:

All I can say about Nick Schultz is that any metric that rates him as the second best defenseman on the Oilers (as if that is really saying much), is a flawed metric.

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons:
    I don’t get the Nultz hate. Is he that much different than Ferrence?

There’s no hate. He’s just the ‘out with the old’ as MacT brings in his new men. I think Ference is a better player, but we’ll see. Schultz had a blue bubble and he played with a rookie.

Suspect Ference sees some tougher minutes this season, although I’m not sure how they’ll handle the zone starts.

4. coolwasabi says:

5. Jordan says:

Who will any of us remember from the last 5 years? Steve Tambellini.

WG had it right – Jackassilinni and the curses he brought down on this organization can all be bound up in some rune-covered book, burned in some underground mausoleum and sealed there, never to be revisited.

But the names of the players who played through the darkest days in Oilers history should never be forgotten. Many of them were not up to the tasks set before them. Either too young, or too old. Some would lose their ability to play the game they love in Oilers silks. Others were sent away to better places, while even more were brought up in this living hell in the hopes that they would become stronger from playing through this evil.

Every one of them are Oilers. All deserve our respect and admiration for stepping onto the ice in those colours.

Saying otherwise says more about you as a fan than it does about the player you target.

Aaron Johnson, Ales Hemsky, Alex Plante, Alexandre Giroux, Andrew Cogliano, Andy Sutton, Anton Lander, Ben Eager, Bryan Rodney, Cam Barker, Charles Linglet, Chris Minard, Chris Vande Velde, Colin Fraser, Colin McDonald, Colten Teubert, Corey Potter, Darcy Hordichuk, Dean Arsene, Denis Grebeshkov, Devan Dubnyk, Dustin Penner, Eric Belanger, Ethan Moreau, Fernando Pisani, Gilbert Brule, Jason Strudwick, Jean-Francois Jacques, Jeff Deslauriers, Jeff Petry, Jerred Smithson, Jim Vandermeer, Johan Motin, Jordan Eberle, Josh Green, Justin Schultz, Kurtis Foster, Ladislav Smid, Lennart Petrell, Liam Reddox, Linus Omark, Lubomir Visnovsky, Magnus Paajarvi, Marc Pouliot, Mark Arcobello, Mark Fistric, Martin Gerber, Mike Brown, Mike Comrie, Milan Kytnar, Nail Yakupov, Nick Schultz, Nikolai Khabibulin, Patrick O’Sullivan, Philippe Cornet, Richard Petiot, Robert Nilsson, Ryan Jones, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan O’Marra, Ryan Potulny, Ryan Smyth, Ryan Stone, Ryan Whitney, Sam Gagner, Shawn Belle, Shawn Horcoff, Sheldon Souray, Steve MacIntyre, Steve Staios, Taylor Chorney, Taylor Hall, Teemu Hartikainen, Theo Peckham, Tom Gilbert, Yann Danis, Zack Stortini.

6. spoiler says:

coolwasabi: Tom Gilbert was bought out and is now a free agent (still) looking for NHL deployment.I’m not saying that the Oilers won that trade, but I don’t think they lost it either.

A very good point. I think Nultz is under-rated around these parts. Probably no blueliner had a tougher job description last season.

W.r.t. the last thread:

Love Nina Simone! More Nina!

Hate the term “scare quotes”!

And… I have to admit I have a weird sort of fondness for our Ladi.

7. BlacqueJacque says:

Nice reference. Carolina and harpoons.

People in the blogosphere seem to want to believe in defensemen who are still magic beans.

I think Nick Schultz prevails over Grebeshkov, Potter, and Larsen, and I think he only gets traded at the deadline if Klefbom is ready.

9. theres oil in virginia says:

godot10:

I agree with this statement, with the possible exception of Grebeshkov, who is largely an unknown to me, but it’s not exactly the same as saying that Nick Schultz is good.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The Oilers are without their 2014 2nd rd (Perron) and 2014 4th rd (Mike Brown) picks, and Schultz is very likely heading out of town in an effort to retrieve one of them.”

I think we’ve gone over this before many times… but wasn’t it disheartening to watch Murray unload dead weight on the way to the second season and gather up corsi picks while we missed the second season by a country mile and held every stinking piece of refuse close to our hearts.

crap. carp. parc. prac. arpc. apcr. what?

——–
    “David Musil”

interesting. It is strange to hear him in the cluster of dudes pressing…. even if we narrow our sights to shutdown (haha “shutdown”) and LD.

——–
    “I don’t honestly recall a trade he made that was wildly successful for the team.”

Not “wild as the wind” but… the Sutton for Foster trade was “good” (zing!)?

——–
    “Why did Minny move him? WHY? They were getting a better player with a wide range of skills. You make that trade 10 times out of 10, and if you don’t they come down the hallway with a jack hammer.”

I agree with this, but I can’t help wondering given they bought Gilbert out that this is Oiler-Vision going on. Like with Hemsky?

———-
    “Why this song? I could have chosen any number of songs about death, chose this one because it’s a lovely ballad.”

Lust for Life is one of the few truly, cut to cut, perfect albums IMO. I think, given he does the backup vox, you should have just gone with the Pop version

also the intro on the Pop version kinda makes the story of the song stark as day.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“15 years I’ll never get back.”

Felt like it didn’t it!

12. cc says:

When you talk about Nick in a sort of a “I won’t remember him” attitude I take exception. He has been nothing but a solid NHL d-man for 10 years. In his junior days he showed an offensive upside but being stuck in Minny for so long may have had an adverse effect that with some good offensive coaching may offer a resurgence once again.

I don’t disagree with his age and his cost overall and Tambo may have been a bozo, but getting nick into Edmonton was smart. He’s got probably 4-5 years to go and has been a great defensive d-man for years. Heck, how many two on ones did he deal with last year playing with the young?

Please be more respectful,

13. theres oil in virginia says:

Well, that seals it. I think it’s safe to say that everybody on Earth has an account at Lowetide. Even Nick Schultz’s mom is posting here.

14. cc says:

theres oil in virginia,

His mom doesn’t read Lowetide

I don’t think it’s being disrespectful to say I won’t remember him, if our luck holds this entire era will be a blur and we won’t remember a bunch of guys. CC, this has been terrible hockey. Nick Schultz had a decent year, i said that above.

I do think he’s heading out of town based on what MacT has done since arrival. In fact, I’d bet money on it, and that is reflected in the 45 game estimate.

16. James says:

Seconded. I didn’t even realize Bowie had his own version of this song until you posted this. I don’t think any of his revisions of the “getting clean with Iggy in Berlin” (haha) years really topped the originals.

Actually, maybe picking this version for N. Schultz was perfect.

17. theres oil in virginia says:

cc:
    theres oil in virginia,
    His mom doesn’t read Lowetide

That’s alright. A lot of the people who post here clearly don’t either.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

cc: LT. Can we move off the Bowie stuff for a while. I’m starting to get nauseated. How about a little Boston or say Def Leopard.

one of the truly enjoyable things about the RE series is artist consistency. It’s like when you rediscover Star Trek the Next Generation and watch all of it in a few months.

That cramped review of things really gives an interesting perspective on an artist.

Also… I don’t think NS is getting the diss here so much as the situation he finds himself in.

We have to be realistic here. MacT stocked up LD by the gross, said he wanted a different kind of D, Smid is already here, younger and contracted for the next several years….

That said, I completely take your point. It’s one I’ve had to force myself to take regarding Ference. You have to — at some level — acknowledge the value of the player even when the situation rubs you the wrong way. Otherwise, it simply isn’t fair to the player. I think LT has been pretty good at threading this needle though.

19. cc says:

Fair enough. Now about the Bowie thing….

20. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m also curious to see how the old boy does with the new system. I’m willing to accept the possibility that his game was damaged by that to some degree. Actually, that’s one of the things I’m most curious to see come September-October.

cc:

Fair enough.Now about the Bowie thing….

Bowie offers his own challenge, because honestly he’s so personal. I mean, most of this series I’ve chosen songs from 1975 through Lodger, and that’s my Bowie sweet spot. I’ve resisted several times including TVC 15, Can You Hear me? Station to Station, Stay (Great song!!!!!), Be My Wife, Warszawa, Beauty and the Beast, Fantastic Voyage, Look back in Anger!!!

And i forgot V2 Schneider!!!!!

Bowie. Whew.

22. James says:

What, no Tin Machine? I kid, I kid. I’m still holding my breath for the p.i.L. re: series.

23. cc says:

At least play little China girl!

James:

I could have used Albatross on damn near everyone!

cc:

At least play little China girl!

I love China Girl but couldn’t make it fit. The guitar alone deserves a day.

26. theres oil in virginia says:

cc:

At least play little China girl!

It’s too late, he’s already done Hemsky! Hehe. (You’d think I don’t like Hemsky!)

Looks like Landeskog signed for 7 years at $39 M. Did y’all already discuss that somewhere?

27. D says:

LT,

I actually liked the Gilbert trade and still do. With regards to Tambellini, I’ve said it before, if he couldn’t hack it in Vancouver, there was no way he should have been brought into Edmonton.

28. cc says:

D,

Good Point!

godot10:

You’re ignoring what MacTavish has said and did.

He’s talked non-stop about being a puck possession team.

He’s talked non-stop about dmen making passes to exit the zone.

He didn’t resign Fistric, who’s a reasonable 3rd pairing guy, but is an off-the-glass-and-out-guy

Didn’t resign Whitney because he can’t skate anymore.

He signed Ference, Belov, and Grebs. All 3 LHD, which is N.Shultz as well (although Belov is ok on RHS by reports)

All three can move the puck. Not an off-glass-and-out among them.

N.Shultz is an off the glass and out guy, and LHD.

Its pretty clear what the plan is. Bring in guys who can make a pass, and everyone on the Oilers D needs to be able to make a pass.

N.Shultz doesn’t fit that profile.

That’s not to say he’s a bad Dman, but its to say he’s not what the new GM is bringing here in terms of D, and he brought them in by the rail car.

N.Shultz is a reasonable vet Dman who;s number were pretty good, but has been in decline for the last 2 years. It happens, he’s human.

The Oilers want the puck out of their zone and to the gifted kids as fast as possible.

If N.Shultz can do that, he may stay for a while, but I still wouldn’t bet on it being long.

30. Lewis Grant says:

After 31 goals in 2 seasons, Landeskog gets $39M over 7 years.

WTF?

Getzlaf/Perry’s RFA deals were $5.5M/yr.
    Toews/Kane’s RFA deals were $6.3M/yr (IIRC), after they had both scored nearly PPG over their first three (not two) years.

Landeskog is at 0.5 PPG. I know he brings defensive game and intangibles and all that, but you gotta score at $5.6M a year.

The salary structure is out of whack. How much does RNH cost us now? Are we just assuming he gets $6M/yr for a long time?

Boy, it’s going to suck watching Yak score 40 goals a year for some other team, because Eberle/RNH/Schultz the Younger were each overpaid by $1M each year.

31. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lewis Grant:
    After 31 goals in 2 seasons, Landeskog gets $39M over 7 years.

WTF?

Getzlaf/Perry’s RFA deals were $5.5M/yr.

Landeskog is at 0.5 PPG.I know he brings defensive game and intangibles and all that, but you gotta score at $5.6M a year.

The salary structure is out of whack.How much does RNH cost us now?Are we just assuming he gets $6M/yr for a long time?

Good grief.

Landeskog is a complete hockey player…the type that helps his team win hockey games.

From NHL.com:

“Landeskog, 20, had nine goals and eight assists in 36 games last season. The second pick of the 2011 NHL Draft, Landeskog won the 2012 Calder Memorial Trophy as the League’s top rookie after leading all first-year players with 52 points and finishing second with 24 goals.

He led rookies in shots (270) and takeaways (58), and ranked second in plus/minus (plus-20). He had 219 hits, making him the second rookie to have 20 goals and 200 hits in a season, along with Dion Phaneuf (Calgary Flames) in 2005-06.”

The kid is the real deal and getting him signed for $500K less than Hall and Eberle is a real coup.

Winning hockey games involves much more than points scored.

32. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy: You’re ignoring what MacTavish has said and did.

He’s talked non-stop about being a puck possession team.

He’s talked non-stop about dmen making passes to exit the zone.

Didn’t resign Whitney because he can’t skate anymore.

He signed Ference, Belov, and Grebs.All 3 LHD, which is N.Shultz as well (although Belov is ok on RHS by reports)

All three can move the puck.Not an off-glass-and-out among them.

N.Shultz is an off the glass and out guy, and LHD.

Its pretty clear what the plan is.Bring in guys who can make a pass, and everyone on the Oilers D needs to be able to make a pass.

N.Shultz doesn’t fit that profile.

N.Shultz is a reasonable vet Dman who;s number were pretty good, but has been in decline for the last 2 years.It happens, he’s human.

How was Schultz in decline last season when you look at the underlying numbers?

He did pretty well coming off not playing during the lockout, and being strapped to Justin “There’s no D in D” Schultz. Nick’s numbers with his second most common partner, Potter are downright respectable.

We have no idea if Belov or Grebeshkov will amount to more then a wet fart at the NHL level, let alone be solid puck distributors.

Ference is a good smash mouth option. Not sure I would call him a puck mover. He’s also never been a guy to get the heavy PK minutes. Grebeshkov wasn’t a great option there either. Belov is a complete unknown and I’m going to assume he’s not NHL calibre until proven otherwise. He is a 27 year old rookie after all.

Schultz can still put in a lot of minutes on the PK if nothing else.

I could see Schultz getting traded at the deadline when the Oilers are out of it, but I think that puts him more around 60 games. If he has fallen down the depth chart far enough that he is getting traded away at the 40 game mark, then every bet on the back end went super nova for MacT.

With the Oilers management track record, I’m not buying that line.

33. Young Oil says:

If Douglas Murray went for two 2nd round picks at the deadline last year, would it be possible Schultz could get more than just a 2nd or 3rd round pick? It would be fitting if we could get a 2nd and a 4th for him.

34. bookje says:

1. What did you think of the article? Fine, good I guess, I mean I think most of the guys around here, including LT, undervalue Schultz the elder and overvalue Gilbert.

2. You don’t Schultz is on his way out Sure, probably, look LT and these guys are more tuned in than I am to this stuff, they probably got this one, but Schultz has played well while here, still has trade value, and Gilbert is flipping burgers or something.

3. Where is your Rel Corsi analysis Good grief, you do know its August and like 28 degees out, right? I got beer to drink and steak to cook.

4. Don’t you care about the Oilers? Look, WG and LT the rest – these guys are insane fans of the game and I love and respect them for it, but I gotta be honest. I come here, I read pretty much everything and I learn a lot, but mostly, I just look for moments to make some kind of witty comment where I play dumb to the intent of the poster or twist things in some way that is hilarious.

5. I don’t think most readers think your hilarious, I suspect most think you are pretty asinine and annoying and they probably just skim over your posts to more substantive stuff Well, good for them, it’s August and really they are probably a lot better off getting outside and enjoying the weather. I worry about D.S.F. – I suspect he hasn’t seen the sun for years and how much wood can WG actually be shipping with the time he spends here. Seriously, there is going to be a shortage of hardwood flooring in this city any day.

6. But your a smart guy why don’t you imbibe some of your smartness into your writing and provide some analysis? Look, the last time I did that I ended up with a linen closet full of Steve Tambellini Fan Club pins. I don’t think I should share my analysis – people deserve better.

7. So, you pretty much leach knowledge here to look smart at work about hockey? Uh, yeah, me and the other 20,000 people who pop in hear each day.

8. Look, I don’t want to insult you, but I am pretty sure this is getting asinine now No, its all good, nobody is reading anyway, they are likely over at other sites downloading the Daily Show or watching p0rn or something and waiting for someone to post something worthwhile. I got a steak and a beer waiting for me anyway.

35. bookje says:

Oh my – punctuation fails everywhere, wrong use of imbibe, and I meant to do an “It’s yoU’Re” to start my response on q6.

Iphone posting is bad.

We need more than 5 minutes to edit!

36. jake70 says:

I think Gilbert wanted a trade, as has been suggested many times since he was traded. Dubnky did a n interview with JG just after lockout started in fall 2012, he mentions Gilbert not wanting to be team rep, (maybe a trade request was already submitted?)

”’JG: What piqued your interest in wanting to be a player rep for your team?

DD: It’s kind of a funny situation. I just said I’d tag along and help out this year and so I was kind of following around Gilbert, who was our rep, and Horc, who was our assistant, so I would kind of go to the different meetings and keep informed with those guys. I don’t think Gilbert wanted to continue to be the rep, so I was going to kind of work my way in there over the next year or so. But the trade deadline came, and unfortunately we lost Gibby, and I got kind of thrown into it. So it was a quick learning experience. I had to make sure I was educated about everything real quick.”

37. dangilitis says:

Step 1) Trade Schultz for a 5th round pick now
    Step 2) Sign Gilbert at 2.5 million/season x 2

That saves the Oilers 1 million this season, and gives us back Gilbert and a draft pick. Then we can really forget about this guy, we can pretend Gilbert never left and that he never ran himself out of a job here. I am not sure he gives a shit – his comment implying that players on the team were trying to pad their stats was classless. Get him the fuck outta here.

38. GATO BANDIDO says:

You can’t compare Bowie to Def Leppard and Boston. Sure DL had more hits in the 80s but that was against much softer competition. Bowie’s lower boxcar numbers in the 21st century shouldn’t blind us to the fact that his song possession metrics are still excellent. (But seriously, Boston and Def L are relics; Bowie is timeless).

39. Kirby says:

bookje:
    1. What did you think of the article?Fine, good I guess, I mean I think most of the guys around here, including LT, undervalue Schultz the elder and overvalue Gilbert.

3. Where is your Rel Corsi analysis Good grief, you do know its August and like 28 degees out, right?I got beer to drink and steak to cook.

5. I don’t think most readers think your hilarious, I suspect most think you are pretty asinine and annoying and they probably just skim over your posts to more substantive stuffWell, good for them, it’s August and really they are probably a lot better off getting outside and enjoying the weather.I worry about D.S.F. – I suspect he hasn’t seen the sun for years and how much wood can WG actually be shipping with the time he spends here.Seriously, there is going to be a shortage of hardwood flooring in this city any day.

6. But your a smart guy why don’t you imbibe some of your smartness into your writing and provide some analysis?Look, the last time I did that I ended up with a linen closet full of Steve Tambellini Fan Club pins.I don’t think I should share my analysis – people deserve better.

8. Look, I don’t want to insult you, but I am pretty sure this is getting asinine now No, its all good, nobody is reading anyway, they are likely over at other sites downloading the Daily Show or watching p0rn or something and waiting for someone to post something worthwhile.I got a steak and a beer waiting for me anyway.

I read your posts. They can be asinine at times; but this, this is brilliant. Simply marvelous. Well done good sir!

40. Hammers says:

Nick is gone just not sure of the date . Primarily due to , first pass , cost, age and probably in that order .Expect a 2nd at the deadline unless his on the injury list to long .

41. cc says:

Bank Shot,

Woody, you may be right about nick being traded but he is not “an off the glass and out guy”.

42. stevezie says:

bookje,

At least 20 000 of us, if not more.

Great post.

cc:
    Bank Shot,

Other is basically a dump out and loss of possession.

These were down by COH guys at the journal.

Exits w/ control 11/12

Whitney 74%
    J.Shultz 74%
    Petry 67%
    Potter 64%
    N.Shultz 62%
    Smid 58%
    Fistric 53%

I’d suggest this is also the reason that Smid isn’t safe under the new GM.

bookje:

Young Oil:

Only if you are trading with “GM of the Year”

46. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy: Look at the ratio between N.Shultz zone exits under control, compared to “other”Other is basically a dump out and loss of possession.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtPHYLVCcL7tdFBuVERlRHB0UWctS2w5TldYUXhwS2c#gid=0These were down by COH guys at the journal.Exits w/ control 11/12Whitney 74%J.Shultz 74%Petry 67%Potter 64%N.Shultz 62%Smid 58%Fistric 53%So he’s not Fistric-esque, but he’s in the lowest tier on the Oilers, who had some of the worst possesion stats in the NHL.I’d suggest this is also the reason that Smid isn’t safe under the new GM.

No doubt, Whitney and J.Schultz were effective at clearing the puck when they got it on their sticks. Half the battle of puck possesion is actually gaining control of the puck, and I would suggest both of those guys were lower tier at regaining possesion once the other team had the puck.

Nick Schultz actually made 20 more total clearings of the zone then Justin did despite playing 70 less minutes at even strength. Do total clearings count for anything? What is their value in relation to clearing %? You can’t move the puck, if you can’t get it. How much do the guys that are counted on to play a lot of PK minutes and final minutes defending the lead get dinged by this method? There’s a lot we don’t know, and a lot of room to interpret these stats.

I do know that Mactavish is going to build a team that is porous defensively if he only focuses on acquiring blueliners that are puck movers. Ideally you would have 6 guys that can move the puck, and defend equally well, but that’s not realistic, especially in a cap world. All good teams have a mix of guys that can produce offence and guys that are good defenders, but don’t necesarily do both.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bank Shot: How much do the guys that are counted on to play a lot of PK minutes and final minutes defending the lead get dinged by this method? There’s a lot we don’t know, and a lot of room to interpret these stats.

The zone exit numbers posted by WG are EV only.

Woodguy:
    I’d suggest this is also the reason that Smid isn’t safe under the new GM.

I think that’s right. Smid will have a better shot that N. Schultz for a few reasons, however.

If MacT decides to keep one it’s got to be Smid. He’s younger, one a long term, new contract. Is arguably more effective that NS. Is an “oiler.” Has a past with MacT.

But yea… MacT may go total makeover in which case Smid and Musil better look out.

48. Bank Shot says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The zone exit numbers posted by WG are EV only.On the PK you are right, just getting it out is good enough. At EV though, that simply means you are losing possession, the Don Cherry model..

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bank Shot: The guys that play the PK are going to get dinged a bit, because a lot of the time, clearing the zone as a penalty expires is sloppy business.

I think the effect here is going to be marginal.

Bank Shot: Also, a chip out of the zone isn’t always losing possession. If You have wingers that can chase down a loose puck, it works just fine.

If… the point isn’t particular events. Yes. sometimes it works. But in the aggregate it isn’t nearly as effective.

Bank Shot: A team really can’t afford to have 6 offensive minded blueliners. Name a team that doesn’t have a Smid-type.

If this is true, I imagine it is more a matter of chance then philosophy.

50. Mesmer says:

cc:
    LT.Can we move off the Bowie stuff for a while.I’m starting to get nauseated.How about a little Boston or say Def Leopard

Please be more respectful,

My first instinct was to point out that the blogosphere was built on people disrespecting each other. Then I just couldn’t resist pointing out that while Nick Schultz may deserve more (or in some cases less) respect than is shown here, I am pretty certain that if you are the captain of the respect police you should know that David Bowie certainly deserves more respect than you give him. It comes across as hypocritical.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a good Boston or Def Leppard tune (although they may not be as lyrically imaginative as Bowie), but if you like them that much could you please learn to spell the name properly. It’s disrespectful not to.

51. Bank Shot says:

Romulus Apotheosis: If this is true, I imagine it is more a matter of chance then philosophy.

I wouldn’t say its a matter of chance. I would say there just isn’t enough talent to go around. Every GM would take 6 guys that are solid defensively, and can also chip in on offense if they could get them. They can’t.

So you are left to take guys that are one or the other. When that is the case, I think pretty much everyone leans towards the guy that can defend. That means Smid has a job over the Ryan Whitney’s and the Leddy’s and the MABs.

52. russ99 says:

I’m curious to see if Nick Schultz can bounce back this year if he’s not paired with Justin Schultz, especially under a better system under Eakins.

He had to cover for a ton of defensive mistakes, and got hung out to dry more than a few times, and not just by his defense partner.

I’m thinking if we pair Schultz and Grebeshkov, we might really like what we see from both this year. Paring Nick Schultz with Belov would be more of the same from last year.

And BTW – he’s still miles above Gilbert in the Oilers zone. :P

53. Spydyr says:

Gilbert is not even in the top 25 unsigned free agents.Some of us knew his real worth before he left.Time proved us to be right.Tambo defiantly won the Shultz for butter soft Gilbert trade.