STOP MAKING SENSE!

I have two kids, they’re fine young people. We’re just back from a trip to Vancouver, and we spent a lot of time together (Vancouver is uphill both ways) in Stanley Park, Bridges (Go. To. Bridges!) the Art Gallery and even scooted out to the area I was born. I missed those munchkins a lot on last year’s holiday, which made this one more dear.

I was thinking about my kids today, and what a parent wants for their children. I think Mom and Dad Omark are pleased for young Linus after this signing, and his faith in himself. It’s great for kids to pursue their dreams, no matter the obstacles. When Omark left last time, there was some bad feeling (I think we can assume it, anyway) and that’s no way to leave things.

Martin Lunden describes himself as a “Crazy, yet relaxed Swede doing journalism” and he’s been a fine resource over the years for this blog (especially the Klefbom boms)

lunden

What a beautiful tweet. A positive word about Edmonton and the new GM. Hope it lasts. I would put Omark’s chances of making the big club this fall at less than 50%, but I’ll be cheering for him. The NHL needs entertainers, and Linus Omark surely is one. He’s also a pretty interesting hockey player, and a solid add for the Oilers at this point in the summer.

Hey Craig MacTavish: Stop making sense!

66 Responses to "STOP MAKING SENSE!"

1. jp says:

I’m curious, why do you think Omark likely won’t make the team? You think he’ll be traded? Or he legitimately won’t earn a spot?

2. blackdog says:

I like the move. I know a lot of folks don’t like Omark but he is an upgrade over Rajala and Hartikainen and he is an honest to goodness NHLer imo.

Now if one of Eberle, Hall, Perron or Yakupov gets hurt or struggles Eakins can slot Hemsky in there and if another goes down he has another option.

Depth. Imagine that.

Another low risk bet, MacT has made quite a few, they won’t all work out but I love the fact that he just keeps adding guys to the roster who can play and push other guys down the lineup.

3. stevezie says:

I think his chances are higher. Look at what MacT did with the defence: he overloaded it with NHLer players on NHL contracts- meaning someone is going to overpaid and/or overqualified in the AHL.

I think the same guy who did this is completely willing to start Brown in the minors, or maybe even risk waivers on an underwhelming Jones or Jonesu. Or Omark, even if it means he walks.

He wants depth, competition and quality. He doesn’t seem to care about status or Katz’s money.

Which is good.

jp:

1. Hall
    2. Eberle
    3. Perron
    4. Yakupov
    5. Omark
    6. Hemsky

That’s three scoring lines worth of wingers. Three scoring lines on the Edmonton Oilers is a unicorn. Won’t happen. If it does, I’ll be in heaven, but it won’t happen. It’s too much to hope for, and I won’t do it.

5. striatic says:

i’m not sure that MacTavish is a good GM yet, but he has certainly been a creative and adaptable GM over the course of this summer.

i also think he’s as desperate for his team to win as any fan, which is something i was never sure about with the last guy who had the job.

both Omark and the Oilers made serious mistakes over the past couple of reasons, and i’m glad to see that both have shown some humility in reaching this deal.

lesser GMs might have seen fit to ‘punish’ Omark over his remarks, benign as they may have been, and cost themselves a valuable asset in the process.

LT once described Omark as a player who “Scores goals off other player’s sticks”, back in his first season. when was the last time we’ve been able to make a similar comment about the offensive ability of a bottom 6 player on the Edmonton Oilers? Kudos to MacT for adding a potential scoring threat to the bottom 6.

6. stevezie says:

Hope is a good thing, Red. Maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

7. striatic says:

Lowetide: 1. Hall
    2. Eberle
    3. Perron
    4. Yakupov
    5. Omark
    6. Hemsky

Hemsky is last on your list!?

why do you hate Hemsky so much!?

8. stevezie says:

If MacT wants to get really crazy he can kick some tires on Brunner. Doubt we could afford him, or that he fits, but if he hasn’t signed yet maybe he’s cheap and we could use the best line the Swiss league has ever seen to murder softs.

I’ve given this no critical thought, I just think it would be fun.

9. jp says:

striatic,

1L
    1R
    2L
    2R
    3L
    3R

10. striatic says:

jp,

i know.

i jest.

Is something up with twitter? I can’t get mine to work.

12. jp says:

Lowetide: 1. Hall
    2. Eberle
    3. Perron
    4. Yakupov
    5. Omark
    6. Hemsky

That’s three scoring lines worth of wingers. Three scoring lines on the Edmonton Oilers is aunicorn. Won’t happen. If it does, I’ll be in heaven, but it won’t happen. It’s too much to hope for, and I won’t do it.

You may be right, but that 3rd line was looking really weird with Hemsky and some plugs (guys who didn’t bring much offense at least). Now Gordon is looking like the odd one out. It probably is too much to hope for, but I think Arcobello might get a real chance as a 3rd offensive C and Gordon getting Smyth/Jones/Joensuu on a line that’s more committed to defense/less expected to score. My hopes are ready to be dashed.

13. jp says:

striatic,

Yeah, I didn’t process the “why do you hate Hemsky so much” part.

JP: If that happens, we’re in new territory. Oilers going to ‘boldly go’ in a way no other Oiler team has ever gone? I don’t see it.

15. jfry says:

I think there’s a chance he breaks the team in the top 6 if hallsy is playing centre, and we let Gordon and hemsky chill on the 3rd to develop chemistry

16. justDOit says:

Is something up with twitter? I can’t get mine to work.

Saw a headline on reddit about a few big sites being hacked – twitter among them.

Edit: http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/08/syrian-electronic-army-named-as-likely-culprit-in-the-new-york-times-hack/

17. wheatnoil says:

Is something up with twitter? I can’t get mine to work.

I think it broke when they announced Affleck as the new Batman.

18. justDOit says:

stevezie:

I’ve given this no critical thought, I just think it would be fun.

Well it might not be that difficult to lure Brunner. I believe some of O!’s reasoning for signing a cheap, one year deal, was to hopefully get NHL exposure before the Olympic rosters are announced. They have a much better chance of impressing their teams from the NHL than from the Swiss league.

19. wheatnoil says:

I think this will be a real interesting training camp. Eakins has a few different options in terms of how he makes his team. Does he keep up Omark? What does he do with Brown and Eager? How much does he value “his” hires (Hamilton, Acton)? Enough to put them on the team? What does he do if one of the Wunderkids show up not at the fitness level he has demanded? On on the back-end, he’s got a multitude of options, including running 8 D. What if he doesn’t want to keep up one of MacT’s hires (like Joensuu at forward or Grebeshkov at D)? Who wins the show-down between the two intense-serious-face men?

Believe it or not, folks, there’s actually a potential for competition in training camp and I can build this roster in a couple different ways (back-end especially, but even in the forward ranks). This training camp could get real interesting…

20. striatic says:

justDOit: Well it might not be that difficult to lure Brunner. I believe some of O!’s reasoning for signing a cheap, one year deal, was to hopefully get NHL exposure before the Olympic rosters are announced.

is there really any chance Brunner doesn’t make the Swiss national team, no matter where he plays?

not exactly the deepest hockey nation.

21. hags9k says:

stevezie,

3 scoring lines is the Oilers’ Zihuatanejo.

I H.O.P.E. they can make it happen.

22. Manitoba Oilers says:

Labarberra

Maybe N.Schultz+ could get Darren Helm
    And then
    Omark-Helm-Hemsky
    Joensou-Gordon-Jones

23. Mr DeBakey says:

In honour of the title of the post, I thought I’d pass this along
    Mr Byrne & Friends

And for good measure
    Next time yer in La Grange, stop in and have a beer with these guys

24. Rebilled says:

I wonder what approach Eakins is going to use in regards to the sideburns of Linus.

When my Linus sideburns get too long I stop using the speedo.

25. unca miltie says:

My take is that it is low risk for Oilers and good for O’mark. If he makes the Oil, good for all, if he falls short, goes on waivers and any other team can have him for very little. If he goes to OKC, then becomes rfa next summer. Hope he makes it, liked his effort as compares to the former London Knight,

26. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Mason Raymond, a player with a 25 goal season on his resume, has speed to burn and is a very good penalty killer would have made MUCH MORE SENSE.

The Omark signing is very low risk but it also indicates a lack of imagination.

A 3rd line of Raymond-actual NHL centre-Hemsky, would actually do some damage.

For a few dollars more.

Stop making sense is why I became a Talking Heads fan:

Some of lyrics of those songs are fairly appropriate for today:

I don’t know why you treat me so bad
    Think of all the things that we could have had
    Love is an ocean, I can’t forget
    My sweet sixteen I would never regret
    I wanna know, can you’ll tell me?
    I love to stay

Burning down the house
    Here’s your ticket, pack your bags, time for jumpin’ overboard
    Transportation is here
    Close enough but not too far, maybe you know where you are
    Fightin’ fire with fire

Also,

The main reason I like this move is that its sane and reasonable for both sides.

No one is trying to “send a message”: or “take a stand”, just doing good business.

I also like that it increases competition at the bottom of the roster.

MacT has a ton of competition for the bottom 5 forwards and bottom 2 Dmen.

That a recipe for success.

That’s something the Oilers haven’t had for a long, long time.

Also,

For those who say you cannot have “skill” on your 3rd or 4th line, I present to you the bottom 6 forwards on the Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks: (based on 5v5 toi/gm)

Bickell – Canadian
    Shaw – Canadian
    Krueger -Swede
    Frolik – Czech
    Bolland – Canadian
    Stalberg – Swede

The only team to come close to beating them in the playoffs were the Wings.

Their bottom six via the same metric:

Andersson – Swede
    Nyquist – Swede
    Brunner – Swiss
    Emmerton – Canadian
    Eaves – Canadian
    (3 others w/ 5 or 6 game – American, Swede, Canadian)

What does this show us?

Those who claim that you cannot win with Euros in your bottom 6 are stupid, probably xenophobic, and should be exposed as such at every opportunity (Hi Marc Spector and almost everyone at Sportsnet!)

Those who claim you need all “crashers and bangers” in your bottom six, simply don’t understand hockey (see every member of the Edmonton MSM)

Do you need size? Yes. If the choice is between size and skill you always take skill.

Large skill is preferred, but that’s like saying you’d rather have a pound of gold rather than a pound of silver. Like duh.

But make no mistake, the best teams in the NHL take skill over size every day of the week.

Add good players, keep good players, and Omark is a better hockey player than Jones, Lander, and Brown at least.

Good move.

Also,

Pat talks about this subject as well and does a much better job than I:

Here: http://blackdoghatesskunks.blogspot.ca/2013/07/through-looking-glass.html

and Here: http://blackdoghatesskunks.blogspot.ca/2013/08/why-linus-matters.html

Scoring on each line? Sure. Three scoring lines? I can’t see it.

29. PunjabiOil says:

Patrick LaForge was on the radio today – was at a meeting at work, and missed the interview. Anyone have coles notes?

Scoring on each line? Sure. Three scoring lines? I can’t see it.

Heresy

Woodguy: Heresy

Lutheran!

32. spoiler says:

The song that turned me on to the Talking Heads is the one that describes the past 7 years…

33. stevezie says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Sure but Omark isn’t the one in his way, Jones’ one way deal is. Don’t understand that signing.

34. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy,

I very recently learned that it’s *hearsay* that’s the valid objection in court, not “heresy”. This must be why all those judges were laughing at me.

35. Hammers says:

McT is sticking to what he said . Skill , make a pass, go to the tough areas & work hard . I think Linus has all of that . Also think he will let Eakins pick his own team even if it means a Klefbom (example) stays up rather than going to the AHL .Could we have a new Nordic line of Omark , Lander & Joensuu ???? for a 4th line leaving Gordon / Hemsky and Smyth or Jones on the 3rd line .You could stay up just playing with the possibilities .Like it’s Christmas and we are counting the days .

36. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Lutheran!

Can an Anglican get in on this or is it reserved for the lower decks?

Heard a great joke about Anglicans once: every major religion has its own criteria for what constitutes a dressing down by the Almighty. If you’re Jewish it would be eating pork, for Catholics it is missing confession, for Anglicans it’s confusing one’s soup spoon with the dessert spoon.

Anyway, about Omark, LT you once said, and it is quoted above, that Omark is the kind of player who scores goals off other players’ sticks. We all know he is crazy with the puck and needs a top-drawer finisher. Enter Yakupov, perhaps the only person who can match Omark in confidence and creativity. Those two could make some heads spin. Not suggesting it for 5v5, but for the powerplay, it would be very intriguing to watch those two cycle.

37. speeds says:

Lowetide: 1. Hall
    2. Eberle
    3. Perron
    4. Yakupov
    5. Omark
    6. Hemsky

But here it sounds like you’re less sure that the approach of avoiding 3 skill lines makes sense. So I’m wondering how you think this is going to play out? If MacT demotes Omark and keeps Brown, vs. demoting Brown and keeping Omark, how much does that affect your view on whether MacT is making sense?

speeds: In the article, you finish with the line “Hey Craig MacTavish: Stop making sense!”

But here it sounds like you’re less sure that the approach of avoiding 3 skill lines makes sense.So I’m wondering how you think this is going to play out?If MacT demotes Omark and keeps Brown, vs. demoting Brown and keeping Omark, how much does that affect your view on whether MacT is making sense?

39. Brackenburied says:

PunjabiOil:
    Patrick LaForge was on the radio today – was at a meeting at work, and missed the interview.Anyone have coles notes?

I believe his message was “Nothing but tits and boners from now on. “

40. delooper says:

speeds: So I’m wondering how you think this is going to play out?If MacT demotes Omark and keeps Brown, vs. demoting Brown and keeping Omark, how much does that affect your view on whether MacT is making sense?

The new coach and new GM are giving themselves as many options as they can. Certainly no harm in that. Maybe the Oilers will try 3 scoring lines. Won’t know until the first few games of the season.

41. stevezie says:

Brackenburied,

I’d spring for season tickets for that.

42. stevezie says:

The third scoring line could be the 4th. You could have two scoring lines, a shut down trio and a 4th designed to score on the other team’s 4th. Say Brunner, Omark and Jones. PP/Shoutout specialists.

I think this necessitates a Hemsky trade, but what’s the difference between a 4th that allows nothing and scores nothing and a 4th that scores a lot but allows a lot? Either way you’re even. Throw the fans a bone here.

43. FastOil says:

Woodguy:
    Stop making sense is why I became a Talking Heads fan:

Some of lyrics of those songs are fairly appropriate for today:

I don’t know why you treat me so bad
    Think of all the things that we could have had
    Love is an ocean, I can’t forget
    My sweet sixteen I would never regret
    I wanna know, can you’ll tell me?
    I love to stay

Burning down the house
    Here’s your ticket, pack your bags, time for jumpin’ overboard
    Transportation is here
    Close enough but not too far, maybe you know where you are
    Fightin’ fire with fire

Also,

I also like that it increases competition at the bottom of the roster.

MacT has a ton of competition for the bottom 5 forwards and bottom 2 Dmen.

That a recipe for success.

That’s something the Oilers haven’t had for a long, long time.

Also,

Bickell – Canadian
    Shaw – Canadian
    Krueger -Swede
    Frolik – Czech
    Bolland – Canadian
    Stalberg – Swede

The only team to come close to beating them in the playoffs were the Wings.

Their bottom six via the same metric:

Andersson – Swede
    Nyquist – Swede
    Brunner – Swiss
    Emmerton – Canadian
    Eaves – Canadian
    (3 others w/ 5 or 6 game – American, Swede, Canadian)

What does this show us?

Those who claim that you cannot win with Euros in your bottom 6 are stupid, probably xenophobic,and should be exposed as such at every opportunity (Hi Marc Spector and almost everyone at Sportsnet!)

Do you need size?Yes.If the choice is between size and skill you always take skill.

Large skill is preferred, but that’s like saying you’d rather have a pound of gold rather than a pound of silver.Like duh.

Add good players, keep good players, and Omark is a better hockey player than Jones, Lander, and Brown atleast.

Good move.

Also,

Pat talks about this subject as well and does a much better job than I:

Here: http://blackdoghatesskunks.blogspot.ca/2013/07/through-looking-glass.html

and Here: http://blackdoghatesskunks.blogspot.ca/2013/08/why-linus-matters.html

Well put.

Beyond stubborn old man thinking, there is a reason so very, very few NHL players are lighter than Omark is and they are listed as. At some point there is too small. I have never seen a reasonable rebuttal to this.

44. speeds says:

Lowetide: I think Eakins makes the calls on the roster, but that aside my guess is that Brown is the 13F and that the 8 wingers are Hall-Eberle, Perron-Yakupov, Smyth-Hemsky, Joensuu-Jones. If Eakins keeps Omark I’m thrilled, but I’d guess that is a long shot.

I would imagine the GM would have more input on the 23 man roster relative to the head coach than you are assuming, due to things like money, two way contracts, and development. My understanding is that the GM is generally in charge of the 23 man roster, while the coach is normally in control of the game roster and ice time (who knows if that is accurate?), but I doubt if either guy makes their decision without input from others in the organization, including each other. Additionally, I have no idea what it might look like in EDM with a new GM and new coach.

speeds: I would imagine the GM would have more input on the 23 man roster relative to the head coach than you are assuming, due to things like money, two way contracts, and development.My understanding is that the GM is generally in charge of the 23 man roster, while the coach is normally in control of the game roster and ice time(who knows if that is accurate?), but I doubt if either guy makes their decision without input from others in the organization, including each other.Additionally, I have no idea what it might look like in EDM with a new GM and new coach.

Agreed, but we can make some educated guesses. For instance, 8D seems reasonable, even likely, this fall. Meaning there are even fewer possible roster spots for Omark.

46. speeds says:

FastOil,

At some point a player is too small, given the rest of his particular skill set. It’s not clear what that point is, exactly, and whether where it is currently drawn accurately reflects reality or if it contains a bit more bias against smaller players than should actually exist.

47. speeds says:

We can be relatively sure about, what 19 guys right now, barring trade?

11 F: Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
    Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
    Smyth-Joensuu

6 D: Smid-Petry
    Ference-J.Schultz
    N.Schultz-Grebeshkov

2 G: Dubnyk-Labarbera

Beyond that, I don’t know which two of Potter, Belov or Larsen might make the team, but it’s probably pretty reasonable to assume 2 of them make it unless a young D like Klefbom is fantastic, bringing the number to 21. One of Lander/Acton/Arcobello is 22, so Brown vs. Omark, assuming no injuries, for the 23rd spot? Or would you look at carrying a 5th C and both Omark and Brown to the AHL?

Me? I’d send Brown to the minors and run this:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Smyth-Hemsky
    Lander-Omark-Joensuu
    Jones

Smid-Petry
    Ference-J Schultz
    N Schultz-Grebeshkov
    Belov-Potter

Dubnyk
    LaBarbera

But that’s not what will happen.

49. wheatnoil says:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle (run them ragged)
    Gagner-Perron-Yakupov (run them ragged)
    Arcobello-Omark-Hemsky (lesser minutes, uber-soft)
    Gordon-Lander-Smyth (lesser minutes, uber-tough)
    Jones-Joensuu (Brown was a Tambo hire, MacT has no allegience to him)

Smid-Petry
    Ference-J.Schultz
    N.Schutlz-Belov
    Grebeshkov

50. bookje says:

Is something up with twitter? I can’t get mine to work.

51. bookje says:

bookje: Twitter is messed up right now – the Free Syrian Army is cyberattacking them. Somehow I feel very 21st Century in saying that.

Wait apologies for that, the Syrian Electronic Army is cyberattacking Twitter, not the Free Syrian Army.

52. delooper says:

Sounds practically Orwellian.

53. delooper says:

Or maybe it’s Huxlian, or Vonnegutian, or maybe Brautigannian.

54. boopronger says:

Meh, vancouvers boring, nothing to do there.

55. In the Grease says:

Are people spelling Omark as “O’Mark” or “O’mark”on purpose?? I’m close to taking an anti-rage pill.

56. striatic says:

if Joensuu is on the 4th line, do they really need Brown as your 13F?

i mean, wouldn’t it make more sense at the very least to keep Omark as the 13F in case you, like, desperately need to score a goal? i’ve heard that this is an important thing to do in hockey.

if Joensuu is willing to fight, why waste the spot on Brown?

i mean you can always put Omark in the press box is you are playing “that kind of team” and really want Brown in the lineup. for all the other teams, which is most of them, having Brown as the 13F makes no sense when Joensuu can settle the occasional score for you.

57. striatic says:

once you start talking about guys like Brown, you need to start taking the full 23 man roster into account, not just the 20 guys you dress every game.

RNH, Hall, Eberle
    Gagner, Perron, Yakupov
    Gordon, Smyth/Omark, Hemsky
    Lander, Joensuu, Jones

realistically, neither Smyth or Omark is going to be the 3LW. it is more likely they share the job, in order to keep Smyth’s minutes to a level where he can sustain his ability through an entire season. obviously you are playing them in different situations. need a Goal? play Omark. not so much? play Smyth. this way you can either have three scoring lines, or two scoring lines and a checking line, depending on what the coach wants.

Smid, Petry
    Ference, J. Schultz
    N. Schultz, Potter
    Belov

Given the lack of right shot D, i think Potter makes the team although Larsen has a chance to take his spot in TC. Belov you start slowly, in sheltered minutes. If he takes Schultz’s job, good. now you can trade Schultz.

Press Box
    Brown, Grebeshkov, TC lottery winner

i think Brown is press box material, not 13F material, Joensuu isn’t exactly an “enforcer” but he is huge and he does fight and against most teams that’ll be more than enough deterrent. You also need to remember that Antov Belov is huge and fights as well. Between these two guys, you have enough deterrent on the ice often enough to keep the average opposing team from doing anything stupid.

if you go up against a team with a bunch of goons looking for trouble, ok fine, take Omark out and put Brown in, but if Brown is dressed for the majority of games, i think something is going wrong.

58. wordbird says:

so glad hockey is just around the corner.

hey look, Jason LaBarbera’s new Oiler mask!

“Steve Smith”:
    Woodguy,

I very recently learned that it’s *hearsay* that’s the valid objection in court, not “heresy”.This must be why all those judges were laughing at me.

I really hope that story is true.

FastOil: Well put.

That’s true.

If he gives up more than he creates, or at least his ratio is better than the next guy, then he’s better than the next guy.

61. Магия¹º says:

Woodguy: I really hope that story is true.

“Steve Smith” said it. Of course it’s “true”

62. kooler says:

Hall, RNH, Gagner, Gordon ….sounds like 4 good centres.

Yakapov, Hemsky, Eberle, Omark, Perron spread over the top 3 lines…. That leaves all the Ryan’s on the 4th with Gordon and possibly 3rd line duties.

Wishful thinking.

63. kooler says:

How do we bring Brunner here?

64. mcoupefan says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Woodguy,

I guess it depends what kind of trial you’re involved in. At the Spanish Inquisition, for example…

65. Rebilled says:

In the Grease,

Yes, they are. In 09/10 O’Marra, O’Sullivan and O’Mark were all in the system. We got O’Sullivan for Erik CO’le at the deadline….*VO’mits

66. gcw_rocks says:

Not sure why you would end with “stop making sense” Failing to address the centre depth doesn’t make sense. Naming a captain before your new coach has had any opportunity to see the team together, not even a training camp, doesn’t make sense. Signing Ference to a Khabibulin contract doesn’t make any sense. Telling the media you are going to trade Hemsky because he has been infected with loser-itis doesn’t make any sense, especially before you actually trade him. Publicly questioning your starting goalie when you have no viable alternatives doesn’t make sense.

MacT has done a few “no brainers”, like signing Gordon, replacing the old depth defencemen with ones with stronger upside. He did step up and change the coach when it was warranted, but even the approach to that was flawed. The Gagner deal was good. But this is not a summer to be proud of. This is likely not a playoff team. And if it is, it will be because the wunderkids are a year older and the new coach is not a complete idiot, rather than a strong summer of GM-ing by MacT.

MacT > Tambo, sure. MacT > average GM? Nothing we have seen suggests that to me.