TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #11: COREY POTTER

Corey Potter had a pretty damn good season for the Edmonton Oilers, all things considered. The jewel of Steve Tambellini’s 2011 July 1st free agent frenzy rolls on, a minor league player made good, taking airplanes and laughing at buses. I think he’s headed for another town.

RE 13-14: 27, 1-6-7

POTTER’S VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

2012-13 vollman oilers d

Corey Potter 11-12

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.60 (5th among Oil D, 141st in NHL)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.00 (3rd among Oil D, 38th in NHL)
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: 5th best available among D
  • Corsi Rel: 4.1 (2nd best among D)
  • Zone Start: 54.3% (easiest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 48.9% (4th best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 98 shots/4.1% (4th among Oil D>40shots)
  • Boxcars: 62, 4-17-21
  • Plus Minus: -16 on a team that was -26

Corey Potter 12-13

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.38 (6th among Oil D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 1.69 (3rd among Oil D)
  • Qual Comp: 7th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: 5th best available among D
  • Corsi Rel: 3.3 (3rd best among D) (-8.52 Corsi ON)
  • Zone Start: 46.1% (3rd tough among D)
  • Zone Finish: 47.8% (6th best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 36 shots/8.33% (3th among Oil D>30shots)
  • Boxcars: 33, 3-1-4
  • Plus Minus: +8 on a team that was -15

Corey Potter is 104 games into his NHL career and odds are he won’t get another 100, but man you never know.  NHL history has these guys who hang around the minors for 250+ games, then get a small chance to show what they can do and spend 250 or more in the NHL. You know who did that? Craig Muni. Of course he was much younger, but Potter has survived long enough to get another chance in another town and the cost might be as low as a waiver claim.

33 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #11: COREY POTTER"

1. rich says:

Wow. The statement, “…the jewel of Steve Tambellini’s 2011 Free Agent frenzy…” says everything about that era that needs to be said.

A sad state of affairs..

2. dessert1111 says:

I find it hard to get a handle on how MacT feels about Potter. You’re right that he’s the type of player a new regime typically turns over, but in another sense he seems like MacT’s kinda guy — decent puck-mover, can play all disciplines reasonably well, puts in effort. I think it will depend on how well Klefbom performs and if N Schultz can be traded.

Out of the D, Potter, N Schultz and Larsen are the only ones MacT hasn’t initiated talk about. The guy should at least get a fair shot to show what he’s got in camp, he’s earned that much, but it does seem that the odds are against him. I’d be happy with him as 7D if that’s how it shakes out.

3. Numenius says:

Just took a look at some WOWY for Potter and other D in 2013. My conclusions derive solely from the WOWY, so caveat emptor due to small sample sizes and lack of context of Qualcomp, et al.

1) Potter w/ Whitney: 195:30 TOI. Potter made Whitney better (54.5 GF%, 43.5 CF% together; 47.8 GF%, 39.2% CF% Whitney apart). Whitney made Potter worse (75 GF%, 47.1 CF% Potter apart). This suggests good things about Potter and bad things about Whitney.

2) Potter w/ Fistric: 98:51 TOI. This was a bad pairing. They both made each other worse than when apart.

3) Potter w/ N. Schultz: 90:25 TOI. This was an excellent pairing. Both were better together than when apart. (100 GF%, 48.1 CF% together; 60.9 GF%, 44.9 CF% Potter apart; 32.2 GF%, 45.7 CF% N. Schultz apart). The 100 GF% together means that they had no goals against for all 90:25 they played together. That’s impressive. The TOI together isn’t a super large sample size, but it’s not negligible either.

Potter’s time with other D partners was negligible.

I don’t think these stats say enough good about Potter to make a strong case for keeping him. But if he is around at all and if N. Schultz is too, they should definitely play together.

Dessert: That’s kind of my feeling too. Potter may not make it, but there’s no real reason to throw him over for nothing, either.

5. prairieschooner says:

I don’t think there are enough 7th D man spots to go around

6. Магия¹º says:

prairieschooner:
    I don’t think there are enough 7th D man spots to go around

Injuries should be enough to need 3 7D’s on the roster over the course of the season.

7. Магия¹º says:

Guess Yak is tired of being the only guy on the planet not asking him:

Nail Yakupov ‏@Nail10_1993 Are u changing ur number to 10 ? @Nail10_1993

8. fifthcartel says:

Sail on Corey Potter Power Play™?

9. Pajamah says:

fifthcartel:
    Sail on Corey Potter Power Play™?

I honestly can’t tell if this has become a Sam Gagne thing (purposeful misspelling of Gagner) or if it has just come full circle

The line is “Corey Power Potter Play”. And I can’t tell when someone gets it wrong if they are just joking

If the internet had been around (I mean aside from in Al Gore’s summer house) in 1980, I can only imagine what Eddie Mio’s name would have been on this blog. Edio Miio?

I am glad that the Oilers blue is good enough that Potter is a question mark.

That being said, he’s a real NHL 7/8 Dman who won’t bleed enough to hurt, and that has value. Plus being RH is always needed.

At this point in their careers, I’d hire him over Whitney and Doug Murray etc.

Many older NHLers keep getting jobs because of who they were, not who they are.

Wilson getting 2 2nd round picks from the “GM of the year” for Murray was nothing but comedy.

When people talk about Moneypuck, they often fail to see that its about finding a type of player who’d contributions are under rated, and more importantly under priced.

The other side of that coin is avoid players who are over rated, and more importantly are over priced.

Drags on shot differential in 3rd pairing roles like Whitney and Murray represent everything you want avoid and Potter is the type you want for the NHL min +$250K or so.

Renney was right. Potter should be in the NHL.

Unfortunately for him, he’ll probably be out of it before many more with better reputations, but poorer performances, are still drawing cheques.

12. Numenius says:

Potter’s +8 was tied for the highest on the team last season (with Horcoff). (Edit: While playing most of his minutes with Whitney!)

It’ll be interesting to see how he shows at training camp. If he has the confidence he had at the end of last season, he could very well beat out Larsen and Grebs.

13. Oilanderp says:

Corey Potter can play on my team anytime. Nothing wrong with Corey Potter. Cheering for him. Smid/Petry, Ference, Schultzes, 2Russians, a young Dane, and him. If I were him i’d be doing every honourable thing possible to ensure I have a great training camp.

For the extra spot, I rank it Grebeshkov, Belov, Potter, then Larsen.

but it’s not camp, and there’s nothing wrong with Corey Potter. Nothing at all.

14. OilClog says:

If the Oilers are really following the underlying numbers, and in a cap world.. Nick Schultz has to be leaving town, I think Potter lasts in the 7/8 spot at least until TSN’s happiest day on earth.

Smid Petry
    Ferrence Schultz
    Belov Grebs
    Potter Larsen

No idea how Nick Schultz’s play would react being a fill in guy, could completely fall off a cliff at this point. I’d do everything I can to move him, unfortunately he’s a wart on this roster. Would moving out Schultz and bringing Gilbert back in, not be.. entertaining.

15. Ryan says:

Corey potter is not the problem. He’s fine on the bottom pairing.

Problem is the sphincter with belov and grebs in the rear view mirror.

16. LMHF#1 says:

Potter hasn’t been the same guy since his injury. Sure Renney likely had a lot to do with his early success, but his style of play and level of confidence in what he’s doing out there have changed rather dramatically for some reason. Either he bounces back or he doesn’t. Meh.

17. FastOil says:

Given Potter played in the NHL with a blue bubble last year, is RH and plays PP, to my way of thinking he is a safer bet than the Russians, it’s his to lose. They have more “potential”, but they will have to beat him out while learning or relearning the NHL game – it is far from a guarantee.

Potter does everything MacT is looking for. Larsen also to me is not a lock over Potter outside of waiver concerns, Potter was better last year and is bigger, age being Phil’s only edge.

WG nailed it. Good teams keep good cheap players and liquidate more expensive versions of the same.

18. maudite says:

Stuff like this! Yak is honestly already my favourite.

Магия¹º:
    Guess Yak is tired of being the only guy on the planet not asking him:

Nail Yakupov ‏@Nail10_1993 Are u changing ur number to 10 ? @Nail10_1993

19. BG14 says:

OilClog:

Smid Petry
    Ferrence Schultz
    Belov Grebs
    Potter Larsen

Sure, he looked bad on some pinches playing with The Younger, but he still put up the best possession season of any defenseman on the squad, playing second toughs. I will never understand everyone saying he’s done.

20. Racki says:

BG14: Where does all the N Schultz hate come from? Second best CorsiRel behind Fistric, so the best of any regular. How can you say if they’re following the underlying numbers they’d dump him? If they’re NOT following the underlying numbers they’ll dump him.

Good points. I honestly can say I have found myself kicking him aside sometimes too, and the best reason I can think of that is that here in Oil country, if you’re not scoring goals and you’re not the shiny new toy, we tire of you pretty quick. But I think you’re right. Dubnyk mentioned last year that he has a lot of confidence when N. Schultz is on the ice. Also, while I like Justin Schultz and hate ragging on him, he is very raw defensively, despite some good defensive plays last year. So it’s tough for anyone to carry that defensive pairing defensively. So props to you for standing up for Nick.

I think the only reason why I could possibly see him “done” here is that he’s fairly pricey for a guy who likely will be pushed to line 3, just because of Andrew Ference being here. So the Oilers might want to trim down the cap a bit. If the new comers (or returnees, in Grebs’ case) pan out well, Nick might be one to go just based on salary alone. I do think that defensively he is pretty reliable though, all things considered, even though many people seem to cherry pick his pinches… I personally see that as a heavy “saw him bad” bias.

21. jfry says:

I think it’s fair to cite small samples size with potter last year. If you look at last year’s RE (or offseason chatter) the entire discussion was that if potter was a honest 6/7 on our team that we were in fact a poor team.

In the shortened season he excelled in limited minutes, but I think that shouldn’t cloud our judgement of the player regarding our evaluation of what makes a good team. A good team (even a moneyball one) doesn’t have potter in the top 8. Once the kids really start boiling over, we’ll see that completely.

22. bookje says:

If MacT has Grebeshov ahead of Nick Schultz at this point, he’s ignoring reality. Grebs currently should be seen as a competitor for Potter’s spot.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The jewel of Steve Tambellini’s 2011 July 1st free agent frenzy rolls on, a minor league player made good, taking airplanes and laughing at buses. I think he’s headed for another town.”

stupid buses!

I also liked the Sutton signing.

———
    “It’s tougher to make a case for Potter as an Oiler. I don’t think he makes it through the season, these fringe guys are going to get run over by the kids here right soon. Potter is exactly the player type who ends up coaching, though. Among the current Oilers who could end up as a coach in the NHL, I’d rate Potter right up there.”

Didn’t someone once figure out that an 8th D plays more than a 12th F, so something to that effect?

Chances of coaching:
    Ference, Smyth, Eberle, Nuge, Potter

24. bendelson says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Just wondering Rom – how on earth does one project a teenager as having a good chance of being a future NHL coach? Is RNH’s on-ice vision the sole basis for this prediction? Your veteran choices seem logical (Smytty – the next Bucky?) but I guess I’m wondering why Eberle and RNH over… Let’s say Gagner (spelled correctly on purpose).

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bendelson:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Just wondering Rom – how on earth does one project a teenager as having a good chance of being a future NHL coach?Is RNH’s on-ice vision the sole basis for this prediction?Your veteran choices seem logical (Smytty – the next Bucky?) but I guess I’m wondering why Eberle and RNH over… Let’s say Gagner (spelled correctly on purpose).

But Eberle and RNH seem like goodish candidates way down the line because they are “cerebral” I guess. Something about seeing the game from a bird’s eye view.

Gagner is a good choice. Just slipped my mind.

In all probability they don’t become coaches.

26. supernova says:

I am really happy for Potter that he made the NHL.

That being said i think Potter isn’t a NHL caliber D man. He isn’t good enough at any one thing, and his overall game is just shy of playing regularly. He had a “lightning in a bottle” run and nailed a 2 year contract. Good for him.

It frustrates me as a fan to see him play on a team that is developing because I know he wont be a big or even complimentary contributor when we need him, and for that I say “sail on”

Please play guys with Potential, because Potter is nothing more than a injury replacement player.

27. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Romulus Apotheosis: Not really projecting. And, no I have no idea if they will, would want to be or would be good at it.

Gagner is a good choice. Just slipped my mind.

In all probability they don’t become coaches.

one of the problems with Ebs and RNH as coaching candidates is that they can do things you can’t teach. this tends to work against players that turn into coaches.

Although Adam Oates was like this as well, he seems like a fantastic communicator to me. The Oilers benifited from him becoming a “Player Coach” for years when he taught Horcoff, Stoll and others the art of the Faceoff.

28. bendelson says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Fair enough. Perhaps the ‘birds eye view’ theory (or something like that) explains why so many goalies end up coaching. Maybe DD would be a strong candidate…

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

supernova,

bendelson,

Yea. I really have no idea. Just names that popped into my head when I read LT this morning.

I like the DD idea though. Makes a lot of sense. Same with catchers in MLB, no?

Who knows, maybe hordichuk ends up the only coach out of the whole lot. He does look suspiciously like Eakins. also, all that time on the bench has to give a face-puncher some bird’s eye perspective (ha).

30. bendelson says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Upon further reflection I’m not so sure that many goalies have become successful head coaches in the NHL. So replace the word coaches with commentators and squeeze in the word shitty and I believe I am now on to something.

31. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    supernova,

bendelson,

I like the DD idea though. Makes a lot of sense. Same with catchers in MLB, no?

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hope I didn’t sound like I was nitpicking. Lots of these guys suprise you.

I was reading about Travis Green formerly of the Portland Winterhawks now of the Canucks farm team.

I am paraphrasing but he said he even suprised himself turning into a coach, especially how he acted like when he was in his early 20′s then realized what hard work would do, ended up playing close to 1000 games and turned into a coach.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bendelson:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Upon further reflection I’m not so sure that many goalies have become successful head coaches in the NHL.So replace the word coaches with commentators and squeeze in the word shitty and I believe I am now on to something.

Ha. remember when the Jays made Buck Martinez the manager?

worked out. brutally.

back to the booth.

supernova: Romulus Apotheosis,

Hope I didn’t sound like I was nitpicking. Lots of these guys suprise you.

sounds about right.

the kids are too far away to even know if they want to coach yet.

33. russ99 says:

Potter seems to me an average third pairing defenseman, on a team looking for improvement from the group.

Still, he’s dirt cheap and can play a passable 2-way game, so he’d be a good player to take the last roster spot, sit in the pressbox and fill in for short-term injuries.