TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #6: RYAN HAMILTON

Of all the “hopefuls” heading in to this fall’s Oiler camp, the man with the best chance of sticking is Ryan Hamilton. Why? There are three reasons.

1. 6.02, 230
  2. 0 pims in 10 NHL games last season (he’s physical, doesn’t take dumb penalties)
  3. He seems to be a hockey player

RE 13-14: 30, 1-5-6

THE HOCKEY NEWS

RYAN HAMILTON123

This was a really good signing, for player and for team. Ryan Hamilton–if he can skate well enough–could end up being a Godsend for a team that needs corner men and wall battlers. He seems to have decent hands, and if he can take and make a pass, well you just never know.

I’ve chosen Ryan Hamilton as my ‘most likely to succeed’ among the AHL group this year. Shame that it’s not an Oiler draft pick–Pitlick should be here–but good on MacT for finding a pretty nice fit, and good on Eakins for adding a familiar player to a new situation. Good on Hamilton for finding him a solid spot to land, and good on his agent for getting him $300,000 for his AHL deal ($600,000 in the NHL). According to capgeek it’s tied for 4th among AHL contracts.

Ryan Hamilton is in a nice spot, maybe for the first time in his pro career. Hope he kills it.

47 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #6: RYAN HAMILTON"

1. striatic says:

yep, this guy is my personal TCH bet.

i’d add a 4th reason though.

4. Knows the Coach

Nice to see that his AHL numbers have continued to climb over time.

Turned 28 in April, still time for a bit of NHL career.

2006-07-01 Houston Aeros 62 7 9 16
    2007-08-01 Houston Aeros 72 20 19 39
    2008-09-01 Houston Aeros 29 8 4 12
    2008-09-01 Toronto Marlies 36 7 6 13
    2009-10-01 Toronto Marlies 47 16 9 25
    2010-11-01 Toronto Marlies 45 16 12 28
    2011-12-01 Toronto Marlies 74 25 26 51
    2011-12-01 Toronto Maple Leafs 2 0 1 1
    2012-13 Toronto Marlies 56 30 18 48
    2012-13 Toronto Maple Leafs 10 0 2 2

3. Ca$h-Money! says:

You don’t even seem to realise that we pulled off the infamous 3 for 1!!!!

We traded Hartikainen’s roster spot of a big PF who is a bubble NHL player with big time upside for:

1. Jesse Joonesauuu! (SP)
    2. Ryan Hamilton
    3. The rights to Teemu Hartikainen

It’s a killer trade!

3 for 1! 3 for 1! 3 for 1!

4. Hammers says:

striatic:
    yep, this guy is my personal TCH bet.

i’d add a 4th reason though.

4. Knows the Coach

Totally agree . Eakins wanted him & McT got him ( 300K for AHL is a bit much) so a good gamble .If he gets 30 games he needs at least your 6 points plus some bruising hits .

5. steveb12344 says:

With Whitney gone they will need to keep up the Ryan quota….Should be a shoe-in.

Cash: Ha! I’ll take it, although I miss Hartikainen plenty.

7. Chester Copperpot says:

I’m not sure how active the comment boards will be for a story on Ryan Hamilton, so I’ll start with something else.

Is Braydon Coburn no longer on the radar? I assume MPS was part of that offer…..is that dead?

Manny Malhotra. 4th line centre, claims he can see just fine, played 100 games post injury and Mike Gillis is the only one who says he can’t play. Gillis is a well documented imbecile.

Jordan Tootoo….rumoured to be on the outs in Detroit. Any interest?

Lastly, if Hemsky can’t be traded why not keep him for the year? Instead of trading him for another player with a longer term, we can just use his contract to come off the books to sign RNH, Schultz, and Yaks eventually. Expiring contracts are a hot commodity in the NBA, why not here?

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

He’s definitely put in his time on the minor league buses.

Any word on if he can play both wings effectively?

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cash: Ha! I’ll take it, although I miss Hartikainen plenty.

My gut says he’ll be back and that he’ll arrive right on time.

10. Bruce McCurdy says:

I like that your best training camp hopeful has a reasonable expectation of 1 goal.

Well, I wish it were different, but at least nobody can accuse you of being a wild-eyed optimist.

For myself, I figure if he gets 30 games he might score a couple goals, maybe even 3. (Damn rose-coloured shades, get me every year)

11. striatic says:

i am extremely curious to see how Ryan Smyth does at TC, and what Eakins obsession with fitness means for him.

the more i think about it, the more i am convinced that Smyth slots in at 4LW this year, unless Eakins’ fitness dictate doesn’t apply to the over 35 crowd.

missing out on Clarkson upset the entire LW depth chart. Hall, Clarkson, PRV, Smyth with Joensuu in the PB is very solid, but in giving up PRV for Perron, the entire bottom 6 is screwed up. putting Joensuu or Smyth at 3LW is a big risk, and putting Jones there forces Joensuu to the PB again, which is good for the Oilers, but bad for Ryan Hamilton, since he will have to see two out of 4 LW get injured at the same time to see any time on the ice in the show.

RNH, Hall, Eberle
    Gagner, Perron, Yakupov
    Gordon, Jones, Hemsky
    Lander, Smyth, Brown
    Joensuu

very much leaves Hamilton on the outside looking in.

so basically i’m curious who has to get injured in order for Hamilton to get 30 NHL games this season.

a Hemsky trade would do it, i think, with Jones moving to 3RW, putting Hamilton in the PB so at least he’ll have his foot in the door. so 30GP after the trade deadline, maybe?

Bruce: Betting low on the Oilers 4line has been the smart bet for some time. :-)

13. OilTastic says:

i hope he makes the Oilers out of camp! the 4th line awaits, Mr. Hamilton.

GREAT video on the Flyers draft, they were talking Nurse versus Morin

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

GREAT video on the Flyers draft, they were talking Nurse versus Morin

couple interesting things:

they loved them some D in the top 15… loved the D.

Monahan got the diss there.

I don’t know if it was edited out or just non-existent… but there was no “corsi” talk or even boxcars.. I heard a lot about hitting guys though

interesting that 2 weeks after their final meeting they completely re-structured their top 15 rankings. I wonder how common that is.

——–

Nail contacts the Oilers. I love this guy!

should I be worried that he is having trouble contacting them?

16. jp says:

striatic:
    RNH, Hall, Eberle
    Gagner, Perron, Yakupov
    Gordon, Jones, Hemsky
    Lander, Smyth, Brown
    Joensuu

very much leaves Hamilton on the outside looking in.

Did you notice who you have at 4RW?

Romulus Apotheosis:

should I be worried that he is having trouble contacting them?

That’s kinda funny, and yes, potentially a little concerning.

17. Racki says:

UNSWER THE GOSH DARNED QUESTION, OILERS!!!

18. OilClog says:

how are we suppose to sleep now?!? is yak wanting out?! NOOOOOO

19. Racki says:

GREAT video on the Flyers draft, they were talking Nurse versus Morin

Interesting, so they had Morin (Flyers rank: 6th.. actual selection: 11th), Mueller (7… actual 18), and Zadorov (8… actual 16) all ahead of Nurse (9.. actual 7), who was ahead of Ristolainen (10?… actual 8) and Monahan (11? … actual 6) on their chart. Sounds like they weren’t all that big on Nurse, unless they were playing to the camera in the room, which doesn’t make all that much sense IMHO.

Pretty different point of view than not just the Oilers but, I am pretty sure, most other teams too.

One comforting note.. if you look at their draft history, they hit it big with Giroux in 2006, but did nothing, really, since then. They did really well in 2003 too, but that was a long time ago and a deep draft too (the benchmark draft).

I think they were high on Nurse, but were higher on Morin. Which shows to go that a lot of what you’re doing as a scouting staff is in the eye of the beholder. The Flyers keep going for the same look.

And I think–and this is different–the Oilers went for a different look under MacT. In the first round, and then in later rounds.

21. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Racki: Did I miss something in the video? What makes you say they restructured their rankings? In their final meeting, they had Morin ranked the highest of guys who would be available at 11 (potentially)… they had him ranked 6th overall, even.

23. Racki says:

I personally think we’ll be very very happy with Nurse. He seems like a complete D. The offense might be a bit of an illusion, but whats important is he’s solid defensively and can at least do something offensively. So at worst, he’s Smid with offensive upside, perhaps (although I think he’s likely more than that). Those other d-men could end up being great too, but I have no regrets about the Oilers’ choice.

I also really like how MacT parlayed one pick into a shotgun blast of picks via trade in that draft too.

24. Racki says:

Lowetide: Going in they had Nurse at 6 and Morin at 9, with Monahan in between. By the end, Nurse was (iirc) 11 and Monahan behind him. they lost their shit, and Homer said as much.

25. Racki says:

NAIL JUST REQUESTED A TRADE FOR JORDAN EBERLE VIA BEING VERIFIED ON TWITTER!!!!!

Racki: Oh, it was just how Romulus worded it that confused me… “interesting that 2 weeks after their final meeting they completely re-structured their top 15 rankings”… it was IN the final meeting that they restructured their rankings… not 2 weeks after their final meeting (again, unless I misunderstood something).

the rest is window dressing.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT had it right. At the beginning the head scout basically reviewed their meetings over the course of the year for the camera and said they had their “final meeting two weeks ago” i.e., prior to this “final meeting” the weekend of the draft in NJ.

Then they all stared at their previous “final draft rankings” for too long, changed their top 15 radically, and then PH basically said they were out of balance.

I have no context for it… so I was just wondering how common these reshufflings are this late and whether they are this drastic this late?

Man… do they love D this year, though. Out of their 6 draft picks, they took 4 D.

28. Racki says:

Lowetide: Yeah, they had their list done 2 weeks before and then moved Morin up to the point where he was their choice. That’s basically what they did, there’s no way anyone else was going to be the Philly pick once they moved him to #6.

the rest is window dressing.

It is funny how teams flop like that when there is really no hockey being played. You know the Oilers’ scouting staff would get murdered by fans if we saw the same sort of thing going on.

But really, scouting has never been an exact science and never will be… and it’s good to see other teams struggling over this too and not just the Oilers.

29. fifthcartel says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 7m

Just getting Nail verified on Twitter! RT @Nail10_1993 @EdmontonOilers can u UNSWER on my message , in Private Messaging?please ! Thanks

Nail Yakupov ‏@Nail10_1993 5m

@EdmontonOilers really ?) where ?)

Man, I love Nail.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ok. here’s the relevant part:

in the video at 1:10 on, head scout Chris Pryor says: “you know it’s a work in progress. we had mid-season meetings in january and then we had our final meetings a couple of weeks ago”

maybe I’m putting to much pressure on “final meetings” as they pretty clearly are having their “final meeting” right then and there.

All the same, on the last day they shuffled the board.

31. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Ahhh, gotcha.. I zoned out during that voice over, apparently. And I wasn’t questioning you or anything, just wasn’t sure what you meant.. i thought you might have been saying that they had another meeting after this or something (Although this one was 2 days before the draft).

And I’d have to figure that it isn’t all that uncommon when you have all those scouts of varying opinions and you aren’t picking top 3. They were picking 11th, so you’d have to figure there’s going to be a plus or minus of 5-ish players that could go anywhere in that range.

I laughed when Holmgren came in and berated his scouting staff though.. good stuff, and typical “Homer” – blunt and honest.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Circling back to the SJS corsi question and the WHL scout for the Flyers preferring Mueller over Morin (Mueller went to SJS at 18… they traded up to get him there with Det).

I wonder if that scout made a more interesting argument off-camera. And I assume he now has a vested interest in the player his team didn’t pick out of resentment-loyalty. That must be a weird psycho-drama: rooting for the team you work for and the players it chooses, but also for the players you preferred that got away.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Watching it again, the WHL scout seems to be the only one that had Monahan (OHL) in front of the cluster of D too.

I guess I gravitate to him because he seems to be the only one beating his own drum in that room. The rest are kind of “Morin, Morin, Morin, Morin…”

PS. the final cluster the head scout reads goes: Morin, Mueller, Zadarov, Nurse, Risto, Monahan, Morrisey

Romulus Apotheosis:

Bias bias bias. It’s always bias. That’s why the teams to bet on in the future are the ones who’ve done well in the past, the ones who basically take bpa.

And incredibly the ones who don’t spend a generation in the lottery.

35. regwald says:

The other thing I got from the discussion from the Flyers is they were picking for need by focusing on the best dmen who would be available at 11. Monahan was like the girl next door your mom wants you to take to prom. No one in the room wanted to admit that she looked cute with her glasses off.

I also found the Philly way to be strong. Morin will whack you with a stick or something like that.

36. jp says:

OT (but in line with the Yak twitter stuff) – apparently this is what Nail was up to today:

37. RexLibris says:

Back to Ryan Hamilton for a moment – I don’t have the relevant data or link at hand, but I could swear I read somewhere on the Oilogosphere recently about a study someone did saying that once an AHL player hits 23 his chances of making the NHL for more than the proverbial cup of coffee drop dramatically year over year.

So if Hamilton makes it that is all well and good, but I think it speaks to another issue – this was supposed to be Pitlick’s job now, Horcoff-ing (yeah, I made that up) up the roster from the 4th line as he displayed his talent and drive to get the job done.

Anyway, I’m torn. The Flyers don’t like Nurse so I hope they are wrong, but they also thought Monahan was less talented than Morin and Zadorov, and the Flames took him so I kind of hope they are right. Tough call.

BTW, LT, what was that you said about Zadorov ending up a Ranger by the end of draft day? ;)

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: I don’t have the relevant data or link at hand, but I could swear I read somewhere on the Oilogosphere recently about a study someone did saying that once an AHL player hits 23 his chances of making the NHL for more than the proverbial cup of coffee drop dramatically year over year.

IIRC it was one of the reasons LT has Rajala as a prospect of significantly more interest than Arco and Miller.

39. hags9k says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I really don’t know what everyone sees in Harski. To me he can cycle and pin the puck behind the other teams net, similar to Laraque. Except unlike Laraque he doesn’t chip in the odd goal and isn’t the heavy champ of the league. I think it’s a blessing he bolted for the K and we are looking to new players for that spot. Go Hamilton.

40. Ca$h-Money! says:

hags9k,

I agree that it’s good he left for the KHL

1. Last year showed me he wasn’t where he needed to be, which is good enough to be the least skilled player on a skilled line (Saad/Bolland in Chicago).
    2. He has developed a number of elements of his game nicely… the scoring isn’t there yet. I fear leaving him in the AHL for 1 or 2 more years ruins him mentally… the KHL gives him a chance to develop into what we need, without having to use up a contract spot on him.

It’s great!

Hoperfully one of NewBigFinn or Hamilton can be what we all wanted from Harski last year.

41. hags9k says:

Ca$h-Money!,

Yeah, good point about the contract. Hopefully the scoring shows up someday. And I can’t wait to see BigNewFinn and what he might bring to the table. Curse you August and September. Drop the puck!

42. hags9k says:

A shout-out to Andrew Albers this morning. A good ol Sasky boy pitches shutout ball into the 9th in his big league debut. F’in A.

43. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Probably here. That tidbit is from Vollman, I believe from his new book. LT’s been quoting it ever so often of late.

Correct. Thanks.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hags9k:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I really don’t know what everyone sees in Harski.To me he can cycle and pin the puck behind the other teams net, similar to Laraque.Except unlike Laraque he doesn’t chip in the odd goal and isn’t the heavy champ of the league.I think it’s a blessing he bolted for the K and we are looking to new players for that spot.Go Hamilton.

Well, he’s “ours,” he’s a Finn and he looks like a player of some note from deep in the draft. All those things probably combine to push an attachment.

He has, however, shown well at the AHL level and is still young enough (23) to be of interest going forward.

The K is a good place for him right now. He doesn’t have to right be bus from the NHL to the A. Also, what Cash said.

45. TeeVee says:

Chester Copperpot,

“Gillis is a well documented imbecile”

I will cherish this comment for the rest of my life!