TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #7: TAYLOR FEDUN

I heard a rumor early in summer that the Oilers were interested in Eric Nystrom. I have no idea if it’s true–the average Edmontonian hears over 100 rumors a year about the town NHL team–but I instantly thought about Taylor Fedun and how his chance for NHL employment was probably crushed by Nystrom on a nothing play. An absolute nothing play.

RE 13-14: 2, 0-0-0

I had him ranked as the #18 prospect in the system at Christmas but he’d moved up to #12 in the summer top 30 because of a splendid season in the AHL. And you know, if Steve Tambellini were still GM we’d be talking about Fedun as a legit option for the NHL club this fall, maybe 8 or 9 on the depth chart. However, Craig MacTavish took over as GM and has added two Russians, a legit NHL veteran, a younger guy than Fedun with more NHL experience (Phil Larsen) and gave a ringing endorsement to some guy from Sweden (Klefbom). I’d put Fedun’s chances of spending extended time in the NHL this coming season at less than 25% now, well down from the spring (pre Belov signing). The odds of his having an NHL career (200+ games) was always low, but at this point the depth chart must look a little daunting:

1. Ladislav Smid

12. Taylor Fedun
13. Brandon Davidson
14. Brad Hunt
15. Martin Gernat
16. David Musil
17. Joey Leach

Fedun had a helluva season in OKC, but he’s blocked six ways to Sunday–Larsen is 19 months younger and has 95 NHL games experience, Belov & Grebeshkov were signed by the new GM who has a mandate to clear out the also-rans and upgrade the group, and looking for injuries is tougher than it was a year ago (Whitney, etc). I’ll be cheering like crazy for Fedun–one of 5 RHers on the roster who might see NHL action this season–but this depth chart is a monster for him.

I have him playing a couple of games, but in all honesty his best chance for NHL employment will come if the Oilers lose someone to waivers in the fall. Fedun’s at the very end of the group with NHL possibilities, and the line is much longer than one year ago, and miles longer than it was in the moment Eric Nystrom made his idiotic play.

It’s a damn shame.

(photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

31 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #7: TAYLOR FEDUN"

1. "Steve Smith" says:

Off-topic (what, is it too early to derail the thread?), but here‘s an interesting map that might explain why we love the Finns – only other country in the world where hockey is number one (unless you count Alaska as a country, which the makes of that map appear to). There are lots of other good hockey countries, but other than Canada and Finland, it’s always second to something else (or, in the case of the United States, fourth or fifth).

(The map also doesn’t indicate its methodology or sources, so I’m just kind of taking it on faith.)

And apparently the Bhutanese really dig archery.

Love the Finns. I bet a ‘most booze consumed per capita’ would also make the two countries together blue.

3. RexLibris says:

Yeah, I found this http://chartsbin.com/view/1016 which also has some other related charts on alcohol consumption/abstention.

Saw one map a few years ago that had Romania’s average liquor consumption in the “short-term fatal” range. Couldn’t find it again, but I can’t say I was surprised.

Remind me not to visit Yemen.

5. "Steve Smith" says:

What, you don’t like soccer?

6. BlacqueJacque says:

These are supposed to be bantam players on TSN? Christ they make them big these days.

Blacque Jacque: You’re right! They’re huge! And they hit! That Benson kid is highly touted.

8. BlacqueJacque says:

He’s the size of Sam freaking Gagner, but eight years younger.

9. theres oil in virginia says:

I think this is really interesting, but I might be the only one. I posted a quote in the J. Schultz piece:

Here’s another quote from the same guy:

“They play a real pressure game and they’re fast. And the key to that is to have back-side pressure on them with your forwards and your forwards come back really hard to our defense to give them outs and try to get some separation between their forwards and defense and try to get some ice for us to play on. The other part of this is with that pressure system they’re really challenging, so if you can get the puck behind the challenge with your man on man play, one missed assignment by them will give us an odd-man rush.”

10. Young Oil says:

Is it possible that Benson could be playing with Jackson Houck on the same line in the next couple of years with the Vancouver Giants?

11. "Steve Smith" says:

theres oil in virginia,

I also think it’s interesting, but I don’t know the answer and I’m too lazy to try to dig it up. So I await the reveal with some interest, but you’ll get no participation from me in the guessing game.

Like SS, I am in my backyard drinking the Finlandia and waiting for the answers to come to me.

13. theres oil in virginia says:

“Steve Smith”,

Ha! I just have a very high opinion of the knowledge of the folks here and figured for sure that someone would say “You dumbass, that’s obviously current Oilers Asst. Coach Keith Acton when he was Asst. Coach of the BlueJackets last year talking about the system Ralph Krueger employed with the Oilers. Don’t bore us with such trivial questions!

I’d say Keith made a pretty astute assessment of the Oil, didn’t he. It was like hearing a summary of how I watched nearly every team brake the Oilers down last year.

Acton? Well he was a hella-smart player so that makes sense.

15. Dead Cat Bounce says:

RexLibris:

Pretty much sums up why there is constant strife in the middle east.

16. Dead Cat Bounce says:

BlacqueJacque:

He’s the size of Sam freaking Gagner, but eight years younger.

Happy Birthday Sam.

Turns 25 today.

17. Kris11 says:

Well, now if all of the Marincin, Klefbom, Potter, Larssen, and Grebeshkov go missing, we know who will be our first suspect.

Our second suspect will be Petrell, because have you seen that guy?

18. "Steve Smith" says:

theres oil in virginia: “You dumbass, that’s obviously current Oilers Asst. Coach Keith Acton when he was Asst. Coach of the BlueJackets last year talking about the system Ralph Krueger employed with the Oilers.Don’t bore us with such trivial questions!

That’s what I meant. Obviously.

19. BlacqueJacque says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

10 years?

Sam is 25?

Fucking eh.

20. BlacqueJacque says:

Damn fine choice of vodka. Damn fine.

21. gd says:

Gagner actually turned 24 today, the same age his dad went from 19 points to 78 points. The first of 5 consecutive 70+ point seasons.

22. Jordan says:

So, not really interested in talking about Fedun. Sure he’s a great guy, but… not NHL playoff material.

So, instead I went over and gave JW’s article a read over at ON. Not my prefered site, but one line caught my eye – Taylor Hall’s box cars projected over a full 82 games:

2010-11: 82GP, 28G – 25A – 53PTS
    2011-12: 82GP, 36G – 35A – 71PTS
    2012-13: 82GP, 29G – 62A – 91PTS

Small sample sizes, shooting percentage, reasonable expectations, blah blah blah

Based on that history… wouldn’t the reasonable expectation be:
    2013 – 14 82GP, 31G – 80A – 111PTS

I know the other numbers LT put up here http://lowetide.ca/blog/2013/07/re-13-14-taylor-hall-heroes.html suggests 70 GP, 37G – 45A – 82PTS is reasonable. However, that translates to 43G 52A 95PTS over 82 games. Based on his development trend… I’d say that’s not very reasonable. Now, maybe you all think he’s hit a plateau, and he’ll stay there. That might be a safe bet. But considering this kid’s name around here is chance… I’d bet on the over here.

I think it might be time to buy a Taylor Hall jersey…

Jordan: Reasonable imo is to take the three most recent seasons, average them, and then spice based on age. If Hall scores 111 points, will you say “I expect that!” and believe it? I don’t think so.

24. Hammers says:

Fedun needs a trade perhaps with another player or two but unless he outperforms six guys is in the AHL to stay .

25. jp says:

How unusual is it for bantam players to score 4.4 PPG?

26. Young Oil says:

jp: How unusual is it for bantam players to score 4.4 PPG?

I think it is decently unusal. I can’t find a source on this, but I believe one time the panel on TSN were saying that if he keeps playing the way that he does, and that if even a fraction of his offense transfers to the CHL, he could easily be a top 5 pick in his year, maybe even in the first few picks.

27. Jordan says:

Totally fair – I won’t suggest its reasonable to see a play who is only 3 years removed from his draft year scoring over 100 points.

However, nothing this kid has done has been reasonable.

It’s not reasonable for him to improve by 20 points a season on a team that gives him no supporting lineup.

Its not reasonable to have him playing with another 1st overall centre and a player who by a redreaft would be 2nd overall, AND have the option of putting him with ANOTHER 1st overall.

We don’t know what his ceiling is – he’s still growing, and improving. We don’t know what he can do with a D-corp that can support the rush. We don’t know how he plays within the new (potentially more transitioin oriented) system that will be introduced by Eakins.

NOTHING about the Oilers and how they’ve been run is reasonable. So, since we do know that he has a habit of waving at reasonable as he passes it on the highway on his way to fairy-tale land at what point does his reasonable expectation become what is reasonable for him, as opposed to reasonable for anyone else in the league?

From your perspective, it sounds like we can’t call him superman until he jumps over a building, saves lois lane, and repairs a crashing airplane using his laser eyes until he’s done all of them.

Granted I’m being hyperbolic, but… I think it’s worth asking! =)

28. BrazilianOil says:

who is the Oiler #24 who goes over Nystrom on the video?

29. DeadmanWaking says:

My eyes just popped open from a nocturnal nap with the scary divanation that Dead Cat Bounce is just a cryptogram for Dryer Sheet Feline; this after witnessing LT extend his arms in address to the nom de guerre departed on the the recent Oilers Drafts 2007-2012 thread.

Sybill Trelawney peers into a proffered teacup, which resembles a stein on steroids. “Hagrid! Stop grinding your own! Too much elbow. You could catch something.” Sybill removes from a dark recess under her skirt a giant wedge of vaguely transparent glass in the profile of a fell beast’s iris and through it peers intently with her Saturnight-best breast-deflating stoop–and only Tuesday!–slag of cornea is dag heavy. “Hagrid! These soggy caterpillar crumbs are worthless! Nothing. There’s nothing! Pulverized … but not prophetic.” She glares at Hagrid. Hagrid sighs and hangs his sad eyes. “Wait!” she says, biceps bulging while panning the yellow iris into a queer cant. “I see … something. Something! I think … I think it’s a … a … a QR code. For dollop day. At Pockmark and Gimpbow. ‘All cutting board cleaners, half price.’ Excellent! Hagrid! Pick me up an elbow-crook of Newt-B-Gone.” Squints again. “Second Tuesday after the blood moon. And don’t forget!” Glares at Hagrid.

From the Dry Witch’s Almanac: Hemerocallis is a diploid daylily cultivar that features yellow flowers (to 3”) with large purple-black eye zones and green throats, a herbaceous perennial of the family Xanthorrhoeaceae. Its stains are hard to remove.

Xanthorrhoeaceae Hemerocallis was too phlegmatic for the hurly-burly horde, especially once they misplaced their quipu cribs. Besides, have you seen the price for llama hair lately in three foot strands? ‘Eye of Newt’ it is, then.

Eye of Newt, and Toe of frog,
    Wool of bat, and Tongue of dog,
    Adder’s fork, and Blind-worm’s sting
    Lizard’s leg and Howlet’s wing

From The Secret Names of Flowers: They sound like a combination of animal parts, but all the references are to plants and flowers.

Xanthorrhoeaceae Hemerocallis leads me to this weird discovery from the Fraternal Inferno III:

Q: What is Horking?

A: Horking is the Barb skill of Find Item. It increases the total amount of items dropped increasing your chance to find those Uniques/Sets however the percent chance to find a set or unique seems to be far lower than a first kill.

First kill?

A: Using the Find Item skill on a barb, you can get second shot at a drop from the corpses by “horking” them. If you hear the sound he makes then you will know why it got its name.

Apparently, “drops” are better extra virgin, first kill. Better anyway than grayed expectorations. Geebus, that sound they make–they’re asking for a simple flower. Must be some kind of resurrection potion. There’s a reason, after all, for everything. When you’re dead almost to your last breath, “Xanthorrhoeaceae Hemerocallis” is all you can manage. A dead-ish man just hasn’t got the pucker to pronounce “newt” if his former life depended upon it.

Shooters the other night were gin and Limoncello with garnish, followed by two bottles of homemade wine made by these very same keyboard-stained fingers: Argentine Torrontés (shaping up nicely) and an Italian Brunello on skins, which washed down the best lamb chop I’ve ever cooked, and a curry with no peas, just in case I drank so much it made my head spin. (“The Listercist”).

30. Ribs says:

BrazilianOil:
    who is the Oiler #24 who goes over Nystrom on the video?

Looks like Teddy Peckman.

Theo Peckham immediately went at Nystrom after the incident, but pulled back after hearing Fedun screaming in pain. Fedun, an Edmonton native, signed with the Oilers last spring after completing a collegiate career at Princeton.

“As soon as you hear that, you try to get out of the way and let the paramedics do their job,” Peckham said.

He also questioned why the NHL doesn’t adopt no-touch icing.

“You maybe get a scoring chance one out of every 15 games because of it,” Peckham said. “How many more guys are going to have to go down with ankles and legs before the league decides to do something about it.” - Link