TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #8: MARTIN MARINCIN

Martin Marincin has developed nicely since his draft day, and at this point we’re counting down to the beginning of what should be a significant NHL career. There are still some challenges–he needs to add some weight to that tall frame–but he is that most unusual prospect who actually brought his offense to the pro level. That one thing–puck moving offense–will sustain him for a long time, and now we can be sure it’ll be at a high level.

RE 13-14: 3, 0-1-1

• Stu MacGregor, draft day: “We got the pick in a trade for Riley Nash and with that pick we were really hoping to get a defenceman. Our European scout Frank Musil was pushing for him. We’d seen him as a 17-year-old at the World Junior in Saskatoon. He was tall and slender and could skate well and had real good sense with the puck. A lot of the decision involved the knowledge he planned to come to North America to play junior as an 18-year-old.”

A lot of people have been critical of the Oilers drafting record under Stu MacGregor and their style of development forever, but Marincin is an example of a player who appears to  have flourished at each level. His development typically involves struggles early and then a period of transition followed by strong play. This past season, he was paired with Justin Schultz early and didn’t struggled until deep fall–but once again he’d pulled himself out of trouble by spring.

Marincin’s long term future with the organization is open to question–he’s the first of a parade of draft picks from 2010-11 who will push for NHL employment:

1. Martin Marincin (2010)
  2. Brandon Davidson (2010)
  3. Oscar Klefbom (2011)
  4. David Musil (2011)
  5. Dillon Simpson (2011)
  6. Martin Gernat (2011)

Marincin is 2nd on that list in terms of long term potential (imo) but you could easily create the ideal blue for the 20-teens and exclude him (a top 4D of Klefbom-JSchultz, Smid-Petry with Nurse eventually replacing Smid) from the group. His mobility is an asset that makes him attractive, and I wonder how long he’ll be an Oiler.

He may catch a break next spring, as Dillon Simpson is unsigned and one imagines the young man is having second thoughts about signing with the Oilers based on the depth chart–which was further strengthened with the Darnell Nurse selection at the draft.

I’m cheering like hell for him, he’s a terrific prospect. I believe he’ll get his first “cup of coffee” in the NHL this season.

(Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

46 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #8: MARTIN MARINCIN"

1. regwald says:

It seems less likely now than 2 years ago, but I was hoping to see an NHL pairing of Marincin and Gernat. Our very own version of the twin towers.

2. Bar_Qu says:

This would be an optimal RE for games played for the kid. Hopefully with another 5-6 games watching from the PB.

Then next season if he moves up to #9 D and plays 20-30 games as an injury call-up (provided he continues to progress this year) he is on the right development track.

I assume this means you feel Gernat is ahead of him in THC (unless you are disqualifying him from THC)? Interesting.

3. dessert1111 says:

Bar_Qu:

Gernat is about 15th on the NHL depth chart right now, for him to make the team out of camp would be an absolute miracle. He might even struggle to make the OKC blue.

Bar_Qu:

Wouldn’t Training Camp Hopeful be TCH, not THC?

Hippy!

5. "Steve Smith" says:

…a top 4D of Klefbom-JSchultz, Smid-Petry with Nurse eventually replacing Smid

I see what you did there.

6. OilLeak says:

“Steve Smith”:
    …a top 4D of Klefbom-JSchultz, Smid-Petry with Nurse eventually replacing Smid

I see what you did there.

Poor Smid, LT just can’t give him a break.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“we’re counting down to the beginning of what should be a significant NHL career. ”

More fuel to the fire of hate that exists within me for the idea that he is the one we can afford to part with. I love this kid. Him and Gernat.

They are like our gangly, awkward, inseparable nephews that only listen to Van Morrison (a great choice. highly agreeable. but their devotion is noteworthy. eccentric), drink instant coffee and rate even John Candy’s lesser films (Who’s Harry Crumb?) above anything within a sniff of “art cinema.”

It’s an odd mix. funny guys.

———–
    ““We got the pick in a trade for Riley Nash and with that pick we were really hoping to get a defenceman.”

I missed this somehow. If Marincin turns into a player of note for a decade, that 07 first round will be looked back upon very, very fondly.

———-
    “Frank Musil”

I think we need to break down the Stu years along two lines of thought.

1. advice given by regional scouts. Frank and co. in Europe seems to have performed very well. (hat tip to LT and Rex for asking questions in this vein).

2. advice given by the GM. Tambo I think had a non-trivial impact on the draft philosophy, esp. insofar as it valued coke machines.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”:
    …a top 4D of Klefbom-JSchultz, Smid-Petry with Nurse eventually replacing Smid

I see what you did there.

Nary a sign of Belov.

Rom: Further evidence re: draft was the lack of a Moroz this time around in the second round. The club grabbed skill in the second and third rounds, some really nice options.

HOWEVER, I think there’s exceptional evidence MacT impacted the first round, taking Nurse over the sublimely skilled Russian man-child.

Suspect people will be screaming about that in 5 years.

10. Jordan says:

Suspect people will be screaming about that in 5 years.

Certainly a possibility. Equally possible that Nurse becomes CFP 2.0.

The one thing I will say I like about the pick is that based on his current assessment, he has all the tools to be a #1 D man.

Considering the team’s makeup, I think trying for that position is a bigger piece that the PF. Especially considering the questions about his (edit – Nichushkins) interviews at the combine.

But what do I know? I’m the guy suggesting it might be reasonable to expect Hall to get 100+ this season…

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Suspect people will be screaming about that in 5 years.

I have to agree. I’ve gotten over it and I love what Nurse could be but I still prefer the Russian even after falling in love with Nurse as an Oiler.

I think Dallas got a steal. That team is going to have some big lumber. I hate Dallas. Hatcher (spits).

In five years we are going to be looking at some of these sliding players (Forsberg, Grigorenko, Nichushkin) with a lot of interest and I suspect there will be a fair amount of resentment and schadenfreude if they kill it, or fail spectacularly.

——–
    Starring at the 2013 draft list the other day I found myself wondering in all our discussions about centers (Barkov, Monahan, Lazar, Horvat, etc.) how come Wennberg never seemed like an option?

My only guess is that he projects to play the wing.

Rom: Wennberg was a late mover, I had him in the top 20.

Jordan: Don’t get me wrong, I like Nurse plenty, and even if his offense doesn’t blossom there’s a terrific player there. I’m not one to bitch and moan about a pick if it’s in the range, and Nurse was in the range (I had him #9). If they’d taken Wennberg there I would have been very pissed, but you won’t hear me bitch about Nurse 5 years from now.

As an aside, the Oilers picked three of my top 60:

#9–D Darnell Nurse: He’s an excellent prospect, 2-way guy with plenty of room to grow.
    #47–L Anton Slepshyev: Passed through last year’s draft, remains a quality prospect.
    #51–C Greg Chase: Nice combination of skill and grit.

13. Lois Lowe says:

LT

You are not allowed to “block quote” cup of coffee. As far as I am concerned, you coined with respect to NHL prospects.

14. David says:

Your ceaseless push to trade Marincin upsets me every time.

As for Nichuskin, I don’t see as of what we’ve got so far how a case could be made for him over Nurse. Nichuskin has been similar to what Forsberg was last year. Lots of drooling and hype over his tools but not much data to drool over. After some suggesting that Forsberg could be top five last year at the time, when Nashville traded for him I heard that he’s now pegged as a potential third liner. Nurse has all the tools and displayed them nicely. Nichuskin had a nice tournament or two.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jordan: the questions about his (edit – Nichushkins) interviews at the combine.

I don’t really put that much stock in this. It might be my anti-anti-Russian bias. But something about that story coming out of the combine reeked of high school girl cattiness.

Lowetide: Rom: Wennberg was a late mover, I had him in the top 20.

Looking at that list of 30 and acknowledging that it is simply too many to have the kind of focused discussions we have in regard to all of them…

I just find it interesting that the commentariat circled around about 10 of them with great frequency and about another 10 with relative frequency. The other 10 barely got a mention.

Looking at the list again, it is interesting to wonder about that other ten that didn’t seem to shine as bright for us.

Part of that is simply where we were picking and what we know the team has said (i.e., talking up Lazar). But still players like Petan, Shinkaruk, Mantha and the trade down targets (Lazar, Horvat) all got a lot of chatter despite not being around the 7th pick.

My comment was mostly a curio about how a player like Wennberg (even though we have no reason to discuss him, he’s not around the 7 and the team never to my knowledge mentioned him) never came up (to my knowledge) much if at all independent of draft lists.

The same, really, could be said of all the top 30. Not sure why his name jumped out at me in the last week as a player of note.

At any rate, I certainly don’t mean to imply he should have been considered at 7. But it is interesting that in the trade down scenario and in general his name didn’t really show up. (or, maybe it isn’t and I’m just rambling because it’s August… that’s probably it).

Rom: Well there’s always a late breaker from across the pond, and of course Wennberg played in Swe-2 so it’s really difficult to discuss his numbers in comparison to the other leagues (which we kind of have a handle on).

Wennberg LOOKED impressive at the draft, I’ll say that much.

17. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Benn-Seguin-Nichuskin.

May make Baby Jesus cry.

I’d wager Nichuskin is the odds on Calder winner.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Benn-Seguin-Nichuskin.

May make Baby Jesus cry.

I’d wager Nichuskin is the odds on Calder winner.

You think they will play him 1st line minutes right away?

That seems unlikely.

I’d also have to think MacKinnon, or Druin would be the odds on favorite of this year’s draft class.

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Benn-Seguin-Nichuskin.

May make Baby Jesus cry.

I’d wager Nichuskin is the odds on Calder winner.

More likely they put him with Horcoff.

20. stevezie says:

Nichuskin had loads of promise, no doubt, but soooo many warning signs to go with it.. I’m reminded of Sather’s words to his scouts before the Bonsignore/Smyth picks, “Boys, we don’t need a homerun here, just don’t fuck i up!”
    He said something like that anyway. I think the Oilers needed a sure thing.

21. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You think they will play him 1st line minutes right away?

That seems unlikely.

I would think there’s an excellent chance he plays #1RW this season.

He’s already 6’4″ and 205 and an exceptional skater.

22. Bar_Qu says:

Woodguy: Wouldn’t Training Camp Hopeful be TCH, not THC?

Hippy!

Sorry I missed that. I was out getting something to eat.

23. Lois Lowe says:

Is Jim Nill the new Dale Tallon, Doug Armstrong, or Mike Gillis? I forget where the goal posts are this summer.

24. Bar_Qu says:

Lowetide: More likely they put him with Horcoff.

Bwahaha!

Let’s remember this for future chuckles.

Lois Lowe:

Has to be Gillis. That man handles everything so well!!!

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Lots of things can go badly on the way to Grandma’s house, but bear in mind that Jim Nill is not an idiot.

Who said he is?

And, why is playing the rookie at the top of the depth chart the “non-idiot move?”

I would have to guess that the non-idiot move is to let him earn it over as long as it takes. Freebies to draft year +1 players aren’t advisable no matter how good they are.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Has to be Gillis. That man handles everything so well!!!

He sure showed that Hodgson!!

It’s like he watched KL deal with Comrie and took a lot of notes: “Ah… the secret is spite!”

Romulus Apotheosis: He sure showed that Hodgson!!

lol. My favorite is Gillis flying down to florida to convince his goalie he isn’t an idiot. Hahahaaha

29. "Steve Smith" says:

Dead Cat Bounce: I would think there’s an excellent chance he plays #1RW this season.

So with Wellwood?

Wellwood’s still available, right?

30. Dead Cat Bounce says:

“Steve Smith”: So with Wellwood?

Wellwood’s still available, right?

He’s be an excellent, cheap pick up for the Oilers.

Much better player than Lander.

31. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Who said he is?

You mean like Gagner, Hall, Eberle, Hopkins and Schultz?

Good grief.

32. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lois Lowe:

The goal post are where they’ve always been.

Good teams make the playoffs and bad teams don’t.

It has always been that way,

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce: You mean like Gagner, Hall, Eberle, Hopkins and Schultz?

Good grief.

Gagner was rushed, but was not on the 1st line (he started on the 4th line on the wing).

Hall was not rushed in any way.

Eberle was not rushed in any way.

Hopkins was not rushed in any way.

Schultz was not rushed, but was played too far up the depth chart.

Besides. Let’s assume these are were all rushed and therefore “idiotic” decisions. You’re going to advocate non-idiot Nill follows that model?

Your distaste for the Oilers has you confused again.

34. gvblackhawk says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Eberle was not a draft +1 player. He played junior and AHL before the Oilers.

Schultz was not a draft +1 player. He played four years NCAA before the Oilers.

35. "Steve Smith" says:

gvblackhawk,

THEY ARE WHERE THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN.

We’d be on a lot stronger footing if the Wild hadn’t won the Stanley cup this spring.

37. Hammers says:

Based on above comments lets not forget. 1) draft Nichuskin lets us keep Magnus for the 3rd line at 1.2mil with Marinchin & Klefbom both expected to make the NHL & Gernat/ Simpson / Musil still in the wings .Nurse will play but is probably 3 years out not 2. 2) We would then have had the same “D” we have this year but the big LW we wanted plus with Magnus on the team . No Perron needed. All of a sudden you have 2 Russian wingers with Gags and Hemsky /Gordon / Paarvi for a 3rd line . I also think Nill is no dummy and we maybe talking about this in 2-3 years depending on both Nurse & Nichuskin’s development.

38. Dominoiler says:

Nich vs Nurse: at the time of the draft I felt a reason for staying away from Nich was to avoid putting another young rookie into a line up already short on veteran presence.. yak had a nice season, all things considered, but still, even as a #1oa, weakened the overall effectiveness of the 2nd line.. adding Nich, an abbreviation of convenience, would have compounded this issue in the short term, but won’t argue against the long term appeal of that 2nd line.. if Nich were to work out as ideally projected, he is exactly what the oil need up front.. so, with Nich on the 2nd line I think the oil would miss the playoffs this coming season.. too much inexperience..

I dunno how I feel about nurse.. big, physical, 2 way dman w top 2 potential (hopefully).. only klefbom has similar (top 2, hopefully) potential, so maybe it was just time to even out the balance of top end prospects.. plus, nurse can come in a few years after klefbom gets a chance to establish himself, keep the dcore from trying to shelter too many prospects at once..

But maybe I’m just a MacT apologist, hehe.. but I do like the nastiness of nurse (and marincin, while were on the subject)

39. David says:

He’s already 6’4″ and 205 and an exceptional skater.

Good to know that what it takes to make the first line in Dallas is to be 6’4 and 205 and an exceptional skater.

40. jp says:

Dead Cat Bounce:

I’d wager Nichuskin is the odds on Calder winner.

He’ll need to pick up his scoring rate while moving to a much better league. 43-10-5-15 isn’t going to get him any hardware. Nail basically doubled that scoring rate and what did it get him? Not even a finalist or a place on the all-rookie team.

41. russ99 says:

If Marincin can put in a solid season in the AHL with better decision making and using his size more on D; and continuing his offensive zone improvement, then IMO he’s part of the conversation with Klefbom and Nurse.

Don’t forget, he’s only a year and a few months older than Klefbom and has played 75 AHL games already.

Which is why the Oilers shouldn’t think of trading him until they see the progression after this season. The other reason is if we ‘re up against the cap next season (with J. Schultz and Belov as RFAs), inexpensive players who can step in and replace a Nick Schultz with potential for better play is vital.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99: I really hope he’s bulked up a bit this summer, that would make a big difference.

Marincin and Gernat’s mothers were put on strict orders: feed the boys! I’m sure they found it easy to comply.

43. hags9k says:

I’d say Drouin has the inside track on the Calder based on early talk of him playing top 6 and likely LW on the Art Ross line. He could post some very crooked rookie numbers.

44. stevezie says:

Dead Cat Bounce: [Wellwood would] be an excellent, cheap pick up for the Oilers.

Much better player than Lander.

I have to agree with this. No size, but certainly up to centering the 4th and can move up to wing on the third. Decent scoring.

45. supernova says:

it seems draft strategy has been a bit of a subject here.

I think the oilers draft Strategy will be different going forward, they are seemingly working from a position of strength at forward and defence, but with goal being a huge issue.

Forwards

Seemingly they have their top 2 Lines all filled except for that big tough physical scorer.

3rd line bit of a mystery going forward but could be a good thing.

4th line- The AHL and Junior leagues have alot of picks in the system here that we should see this filled from within in the future. (Kessy, Ewanyk, Pitlick, Moroz, Khaira, Hamilton, etc)

Defence

aside from the current defenseman on the roster. this is the strength of the system.

With Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin, Gernat, Musil, Simpson

we also seemingly have enough quality and quantity.

My question is how does the draft Strategy change now?

I sincerely hope that the development system also changes. It could be now argued that if we see a player from the NHL 14 or 15 drafts, play before 2 years of being drafted that our draft and development system are horrible.

I think we will see MacT use a much more analytical approach to drafting now that alot of the system has been filled with prospects, projects and questionables.

46. prairieschooner says: