TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #9: PHILIP LARSEN

Trying to figure out this blueline in mid-August is impossible. There are SO many possibilities and so few certainties we’re left to mull over the difference between ‘hired by the new GM’ and ‘he’s done everything asked of him’ and in the case of Larsen v. Potter I’ve gone with the better hockey player.

RE 13-14: 3, 0-0-0

I can’t find a reasonable way to get Phil Larsen far enough up the depth chart for him to be considered part of the opening night lineup. I’m not saying he has the same value as the draft pick Edmonton also received for Shawn Horcoff (is that pick this century?) but it’s also true that there’s just too much quality and depth in the organization for us to consider Larsen more than a TC hopeful at this time.

I think, when evaluating Philip Larsen, we need to consider the possibility that the cap room was the major asset returned in the deal, and that Larsen and the pick were so much window dressing. Just saying, not trying to bury him. He’s 23, from the 2008 draft and has been a regular (or so) in the NHL for three seasons (95, 5-14-19). This past season was not great, and he got passed by some young blue. He’s going the wrong way as a young defenseman.

LARSEN’S VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

LARSEN VOLLMAN

I’m not saying Larsen can’t make this team, but I am saying there’s no really good reason to put him ahead of Corey Potter, or Oscar Klefbom or Denis Grebeshkov. And that means that as of today, he’s on the outside looking in. Phil Larsen may never play for the Oilers. Seriously.

larsen scouting report

larsen sledgehammer

27 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL #9: PHILIP LARSEN"

1. bookje says:

Larson is a mystery to me, so I will follow up on the issue of words that mean their own opposite.

Steve – Literally is not the only word that can literally be used as its own opposite (an auto-antonym). Here is a story for you. You may find it awful (full of awe) or you may find it so awful that you will, literally, just die.

Steve Smith was sanctioned as the individual in charge of oversight for the event. As he was the only one left at the event, he left it. When he left, the alarm went off due to his oversight in forgetting to shut off the alarm. He would later be sanctioned for this and forced to resign, but because he was such a good guy, he was resigned.

I swear to God I read your opening sentence and then thought you went right into “Steve” being a word that means its opposite. The peyote is apparently good this summer.

3. RexLibris says:

Interesting.

23 is often around the age when a young defender can swing up or down. Not a bad age to acquire someone like this, either he is a bust quickly and the team can move on or he improves and they have an asset in hand. The waiver wire looms if he shows any improvement, but I suspect that with players like Jon Blum clearing waivers that Larsen won’t suddenly become popular.

His scouting report reads like MacTavish’s blueline shopping list, though.

4. regwald says:

Can’t remember, but does he have to clear waivers ? That may decide his fate. If he doesn’t then, he may be on a one way ticket to OKC. If he has to clear waivers, he may have a new home by the time the rosters are set at the end of September. Or maybe he gets a sore groin or a bad ankle to start the season on IR as they wait for the roster to shake out in terms of the pecking order for defencemen.

That said, I have felt that MacT accumulated extra dmen for depth, but also to make a deal. Maybe that is what happens.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

machine keeps eating my comments!!!

shortest version: MacT has said nothing about Larsen. Talked about all other new hires: Ference, Belov, Grebs, Klf, Mar-mar

6. Logan91 says:

Like you implied LT, they probably HAD to take him in that trade in order to get rid of Horcoff. I don’t see him cracking the line up at all. Either OKC or Europe for Larsen.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t know what to make of this, but maybe we should discuss the fact that he played very well (by boxcars only) during the lockout. Maybe he burnt out or had trouble adjusting?

Lukko Rauma SM-liiga 27 5 10 15 PIM 24 +11

That might be a bright light to chase after.

8. prairieschooner says:

It looks like he will be an expensive OKC D man with a chance to resurrect his career.
    Then again one year down the road the Oilers D could be even more difficult to crack.
    I think he is toast

9. murphy says:

Do you think Mact asked for him, or had to take him? If he was asking you would think vern fiddler would have been the number one item, we could use him for 4C, not sure Dallas wanted to part with him though.

10. supernova says:

Larsen > Potter

Is a clear win to me, even if both hit the waiver wire.

If a team claims either of the waivers it is also a win IMHO, those 50 contract spots become golden as the year goes on, and if this season is as active as last season on the waiver wire there is plenty of players that could help.

11. supernova says:

murphy:

murphy,

Ether way I think MacT did well by not taking on a salary dump when they chose to part with Horcoff, or even paying part of Hircoffs salary elsewhere.

I would have liked to see Horcoff stay but when they chose to trade him, a win IMO was not taking on a contract they couldn’t part with.

12. Young Oil says:

If the team is going to keep 8 Dmen, I would definitely take Larsen over Potter. We know what we have in Potter, and IMO there is absolutely no chance he will be with the team next year, so for a #8D I think it’s best to choose the 23 year old who can only improve after a poor season, and who knows, we could find out we have a solid player. Definitely unlikely that either Larsen or Potter will be with the team next year, but for a #8D, I’d prefer the younger player who has the potential to get better.

That opinion might change if he disappoints in training camp and preseason though.

13. FastOil says:

Reading about Larsen, he is apparently very talented. For me it comes down to how big he actually is.

He isn’t talented enough to play too much undersized, that being the only way IMO D can be smaller than forwards in the NHL and be effective. The OIlers have him listed at 190 and Belov at 185 so who knows.

If he isn’t tiny he is a more skilled player than Potter who isn’t physical either. I feel sorry for Potter, at least he did get a shot with the Oilers. He is a decent bottom end guy especially given he can play PP.

14. G Money says:

He’s young, he’s mobile, he’s played in the NHL, MacT traded for him – I’m sure he gets a chance.

Maybe his SM Liiga results are a sign of continued development, and he turns out to be a solid NHL player – huge win for the Oil.

Maybe his mediocre results last year are a sideways arrow and he turns out to be a fringe NHL player – some depth on the farm for the Oil.

Maybe his getting passed last year by others means he doesn’t get any better and isn’t playing hockey in a year – no sweat.

Doesn’t really matter if he was a throw-in on the trade or not, seems like the team is better off with him, Gordon, and cap space in the system than a burned out, ageing, expensive Dirty Russian. Win.

15. DeadmanWaking says:

bookje: sanctioned

So you’re trying to say that Larsen is Danish for Aatu Antonimi? All Finns are their own opposites, and all Swedes are twins. I see your AA and raise you a Siamese with, literally, an arm and a leg.

On another note, I just now figured out the new normal when Telus informed me–for the sixth consecutive time–that they are experiencing “higher than normal call volumes”. Normal, I suppose, for a lost decade. Pardon me, it wasn’t Telus that informed me about the abnormally high call volumes, but their evil switchboard twin who lives under the bridge.

16. bookje says:

DeadmanWaking,

For the last time LEAVE LT’S PEYOTE ALONE!

17. Hammers says:

Lets face it the idea was to gain cap space first & Larsen is a byproduct of that trade along with his salary . If Nill didn’t want a 23 yr old “D” he isn’t making this team either . J Shultz /Ference ; Belov / Petry / Smid ; fight between Grebs, N.Schultz & Klefbom for 6th spot . Carry 7 “D” means Klef , Potter , Larsen all go down . Carry 8 and Larsen has a 33% chance maybe more as they will want Klef playing either in the AHL or #6 . I think the top 7 are decided and any late pick ups may determine if its 14 forwards or 8 “D”.

18. DeadmanWaking says:

bookje:
    DeadmanWaking,
    For the last time LEAVE LT’S PEYOTE ALONE!

Too late now. I’m already into the pruning and preening. I have this thing where computer A starts a seek-rattle of death, so it quickly gets backed up to computer B, which begins to fail its S.M.A.R.T diagnostics a month later, and now gets backed up to C, but C needs an OS upgrade, so that whole thing gets backed up to A, which is the only computer sporting a spanky new disk with spare capacity, and so it goes, with the cotton-candy floss action abetted by belt and suspenders bifurcations.

If I dig deep enough into this replicant hedge maze of self-likeness I’m sure I’ll find a set of gold plates containing my first ever APL keystroke preserved for posterity (APL was mostly written with Greek letters and weird symbols, and it was actually the first language I ever used on a computer where the half-life of a saved file was longer than the time it took to rewind a C90 with an HB pencil).

Prunes prune and plums preen. Mostly it will be pruning. I’m long past the ageless divide between preening and pruning. How that day sneaks up on you when you first reach for the tweezers because less is the new more.

[100 bonus points to anyone who sussed the Siamese "belt and suspenders" back there andwiched between alliterants.]

Where were we? Oh yes, too late now. Seriously, I wrote many programs that resembled the mid-page Gertelman one-liner.

It’s no accident I ventured into these cryptic waters. I caught the bug once removed. I can’t actually read that one-liner without putting a stone in my hat. It contains unary right-shoe and left-shoe operators (enclose and disclose) from APL2, which is after my time. No, I did not make that up.

Damn, I could show up for work wearing a T-shirt proclaiming “I caught the bug once removed”. Late to the party, or second guest?

19. DeadmanWaking says:

Late arrival: s/putting a stone in my hat/getting a stone on

Maybe that’s splitting hairs. Or how about "tucking a stone into my sugarloaf"?

Bong! We have a winner.

(If Klinger never tried that third Chaparone, he needs to re-enlist. I like his chances.)

20. Ca$h-Money! says:

The thing that stands out to me is that, if this kid had been drafted and developed internally, and had the same stats/games played etc., we’d all be about 50% more excited about him. Seriously, 23 y/o dman who has proven he has the ability to play a quality NHL game at some level, who went through a sophomore slump. We’d all be talking about his second pairing upside if he was local to our system.

21. G Money says:

DeadmanWaking: For his pioneering efforts with APL, Iverson received the Turing Award in 1979. Not bad for someone who taught himself calculus while attending a one-room schoolhouse in rural Alberta.

Heh heh, there’s a throwback. My dad was a math prof, so APL was the *first* programming language I was exposed to, surprised it didn’t ruin my career prospects.

Still buddies with Iverson’s nephews (one of whom I went through Comp Sci with).

22. MrDooman says:

Man, I feel sorry for anyone who goes on a date with DMW. I think a date with Shakespeare would be more….

understandable.

Shakespeare or DMW? Hmmm. I don’t date but would enjoy a beer with either. This brings a question: Shakespeare beer? A Honey Mead or a tankard of ale? Guinness?

24. RexLibris says:

I think Thomas DeQuincey would be a more appropriate date comparison than Shakespeare. Elizabethans had no problem figuring out what he was trying to say, it is only us modern English users who struggle with it. DeQuincey on the other hand…

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Or, “Shake’s Beer.” I’m sure someone has used that stupid pun to sell things.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:

Opium is a hell of a drug.