The RNH injury recovery timeline hasn’t changed in some time. Honest.
- MacT on playing pre season games: “I would say absolutely not at this point. I’ve talked to our medical staff and everything is on schedule but it’s important for them that we maintain the most pessimistic schedule we started with, which was Nov. 1.” Joanne Ireland article containing more quotes is here.
What does this mean? Status Quo. Nothing has changed in many weeks. There’s no new news here, MacTavish is repeating what he said weeks ago. There’s a tendency to treat this like a new timeline, but in fact the ENTIRE story remains frozen. I think some missed that subtle difference yesterday. It’s important, because we may see Nugent-Hopkins news that flies in the face of this old/new information in the next week or so.
Or not. Such is life.
I think we’re through the hardest part, God knows Oiler fans deserve sunshine with rainbows. The seasons since 2006-07 are all kind of a blur, I don’t know when Robert Nilsson left and can’t really recall Marc Pouliot’s final days. I do remember when Smid began to play consistently, and the Hall years have wonderful moments I’ll treasure until my dying day.
I’ve always enjoyed teams being built up and then watching them soar, but the number of false starts since 2006 fall are about the toughest road a fan can travel. Surely there’s some kind of reward at the end of these miles. I believe Craig MacTavish will be a good General Manager, I believe his choice of coach is a good one, and the possession direction makes perfect sense.
I wonder about the roster, the Jacks and Kings can’t do it alone despite their other worldly abilities. They need those veteran players, even though those players may only occupy the 6′s and 7′s and 9′s in the deck, and one wonders if those cards are in place.
Surely we won’t have to wait another year. I predicted a playoff finish here and believe it will happen in the spring. However, there’s much work to be done and some of the major parts will be put in place this month, September of 2013. The right choices may sustain this team through the end of the decade. The right choice may mean getting to the second season.
The Oilers have had a good summer. Some of the things we’ve seen (Boyd Gordon) seem obvious, others (retaining Hemsky) perhaps less so but are no less valuable. This week we’ll get a look at the training camp list, we’ll begin to see the roster and how it may come together.
The worry at the beginning, the uneasy that comes to us before sleep, the thing that remains with us always: center ice.
It’s still there.
MacT had some interesting things to say at the rookie tournament.
- MacT on Nurse: “We want to give him as much exposure as we can and see what he’s like when the game becomes more organized. A lot of times you’ll hear that it’s more difficult to play at the American League level than the NHL because it’s just not quite as predicable. This is maybe one (level) below that in terms of a helter-skelter brand of hockey, a very individualized brand of hockey. We want to give Darnell lots of opportunity to see what he can do in a more controlled environment.”
- MacT on the forwards: “We’re not at the same skill level with our forwards. A lot of our young players are playing in Edmonton right now. That’s not an organizational need in terms of where we are. We’re looking for bigger, stronger guys like Jujhar.”
I still believe Khaira is better off in the WHL, with Pitlick and Hamilton serving as a cautionary tale. There’s zero reason to send kids to the AHL so they can play 4line minutes and sit in the pressbox, and there’s also an injury worry. Best to keep Khaira back for his 19-year old season.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
Today on the show, we kick off the Oilers training camp week with a steady parade of Oiler discussion and a long look at the roster battles. Scheduled to appear:
- Tyler Dellow from mc79hockey. We’ll talk roster makeup, coach Eakins dynamite press conference and what the Oilers might want to add during camp.
- Tom Lynn from Veritas hockey. We’ll talk about what keeps agents busy at this time of year, and I’ll ask WHY he’s a Roughrider fan!
- Jeff Chapman, Copper and Blue. Rookie camp expectations, where to put Omark and how many rookies?
- Travis Yost from Hockeybuzz. Lazar at Ottawa rookie camp, are the Sens better than a year ago, any last minute moves?
- Matt Henderson, Archaeologuy. Eakins press conference, MacT’s comments and main training camp.
Lowetide_ on twitter, 10-1260 via text. Hope you can tune in!