A WATCHED POT

The RNH injury recovery timeline hasn’t changed in some time. Honest.

• MacT on playing pre season games: “I would say absolutely not at this point. I’ve talked to our medical staff and everything is on schedule but it’s important for them that we maintain the most pessimistic schedule we started with, which was Nov. 1.” Joanne Ireland article containing more quotes is here.

What does this mean? Status Quo. Nothing has changed in many weeks. There’s no new news here, MacTavish is repeating what he said weeks ago. There’s a tendency to treat this like a new timeline, but in fact the ENTIRE story remains frozen. I think some missed that subtle difference yesterday. It’s important, because we may see Nugent-Hopkins news that flies in the face of this old/new information in the next week or so.

Or not. Such is life.

HOPE shawshank1

I think we’re through the hardest part, God knows Oiler fans deserve sunshine with rainbows. The seasons since 2006-07 are all kind of a blur, I don’t know when Robert Nilsson left and can’t really recall Marc Pouliot’s final days. I do remember when Smid began to play consistently, and the Hall years have wonderful moments I’ll treasure until my dying day.

I’ve always enjoyed teams being built up and then watching them soar, but the number of false starts since 2006 fall are about the toughest road a fan can travel. Surely there’s some kind of reward at the end of these miles. I believe Craig MacTavish will be a good General Manager, I believe his choice of coach is a good one, and the possession direction makes perfect sense.

I wonder about the roster, the Jacks and Kings can’t do it alone despite their other worldly abilities. They need those veteran players, even though those players may only occupy the 6′s and 7′s and 9′s in the deck, and one wonders if those cards are in place.

Surely we won’t have to wait another year. I predicted a playoff finish here and believe it will happen in the spring. However, there’s much work to be done and some of the major parts will be put in place this month, September of 2013. The right choices may sustain this team through the end of the decade. The right choice may mean getting to the second season.

shawshank

The Oilers have had a good summer. Some of the things we’ve seen (Boyd Gordon) seem obvious, others (retaining Hemsky) perhaps less so but are no less valuable. This week we’ll get a look at the training camp list, we’ll begin to see the roster and how it may come together.

The worry at the beginning, the uneasy that comes to us before sleep, the thing that remains with us always: center ice.

It’s still there.

MacT had some interesting things to say at the rookie tournament.

• MacT on Nurse“We want to give him as much exposure as we can and see what he’s like when the game becomes more organized. A lot of times you’ll hear that it’s more difficult to play at the American League level than the NHL because it’s just not quite as predicable. This is maybe one (level) below that in terms of a helter-skelter brand of hockey, a very individualized brand of hockey. We want to give Darnell lots of opportunity to see what he can do in a more controlled environment.”
  • MacT on the forwards: “We’re not at the same skill level with our forwards. A lot of our young players are playing in Edmonton right now. That’s not an organizational need in terms of where we are. We’re looking for bigger, stronger guys like Jujhar.”

I still believe Khaira is better off in the WHL, with Pitlick and Hamilton serving as a cautionary tale. There’s zero reason to send kids to the AHL so they can play 4line minutes and sit in the pressbox, and there’s also an injury worry. Best to keep Khaira back for his 19-year old season.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

shawshank2

Today on the show, we kick off the Oilers training camp week with a steady parade of Oiler discussion and a long look at the roster battles. Scheduled to appear:

Lowetide_ on twitter, 10-1260 via text. Hope you can tune in!

azorcan

73 Responses to "A WATCHED POT"

1. russ99 says:

I beg to differ with MacT, skill is always an “organizational need”.

What happens if Hall and Eberle get hurt in the Olympics? Surely none of these kids in rookie camp could step into an NHL role and help us win…

Last season’s “road trip with two centers” makes it blatantly obvious that a winning NHL program needs some cover. Look at the Wings and all the players they could call up from Grand Rapids in such an event.

Seems that the Oilers (caught behind by Tambi’s Lucic hunt) are hedging bets with Omark, the elder Hamilton and Acton, but if Miller’s Penticton letdown is any indication, they need to add some young skilled forwards to OKC pronto.

2. wheatnoil says:

russ99,

Based on the drafting of players like Marco Roy, Anton Slepyshev, and even Greg Chase just a few short months ago, I don’t think MacT has given up on the idea of acquiring skill.

3. sliderule says:

I am hoping that our bottom six will be much better.

The reasons are new players like Gordon and the thought that the first two lines will get way more ice time.RK just rolled the lines and Hall and co. did not get the ice time push most top players get.

The bottom three may not hit the ice to much in tight games.

4. wheatnoil says:

Shawshank is on the of the few movies that is better than the book, imho. Man I love that movie. Haven’t watched it in a decade. Maybe I should take it out. Great post LT!

5. RMGS says:

LT, I’ll argue that MacT unequivocally saying that The Nuge won’t play any pre-season games is new.

6. regwald says:

I am quite surprised with this news about Nuge not playing any pre-season games. I felt Nuge being ready early was the ace in the hole that MacT had with regards to the Center spot. I feel he didn’t do enough to replace Belanger and Horcoff.

In my view, this is a minus on the work he did this summer. I think center depth still needs to be addressed.

7. Zipdot says:

Hmmm, did Belanger retire yet? Or is he at risk of getting a PTO somewhere?

8. Benhur says:

Zipdot,

Zipdot,

I believe he signed a european contract. I’m excited to see Arcobello slip into Nuges spot like he did in the AHL last year. He did well.

9. Benhur says:

I’d like to see how Arcobello does at the NHL level between Hall and Eberle or between Hemmer and Omark. Also I’m interested in seeing hemmer run out as a centre…with his skill set I would think he would make a better centre option than Smyth!

10. BlacqueJacque says:

I will die laughing if either you or Tyler slip up and say “Milhouse”.

Please make it happen, I want to die happy.

11. Ribs says:

Zipdot:
    Hmmm, did Belanger retire yet?Or is he at risk of getting a PTO somewhere?

12. denny33 says:

wheatnoil,

By NOT selecting Zykov, Dauphin or Petan….I take Mact T at his word:

“That’s not an organizational need in terms of where we are. We’re looking for bigger, stronger guys like Jujhar.”

Strong talent available to be had in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft….and Mac T’s words ring very very true.

13. denny33 says:

regwald,

Any player, playing professional hockey in N. America – will be better than Belanger.

Like Ryan Whitney – the subrtaction of Belanger automatically makes the Oilers a better team…

Although, the MIller kid from Yale may test that theory….

14. "Steve Smith" says:

denny33,

Honestly, I don’t know if the Oilers currently have a better option at fourth line centre than Belanger. And that is not intended as praise of Belanger. Maybe Arcobello. Maybe.

I guess we needed the cap space, but my goodness is the lack of centre depth a black mark on what was otherwise a fine off-season by MacTavish.

15. denny33 says:

“Steve Smith”,

I think Gordon will replace Belanger and then we are down to probably having Lander play 4th line centre. ( not sure though )

In my opinion – that is night and day compared to what Belanger had last year.

I do agree with you – organizationally – we are bare and embarassing at the centre position .

So I definitely hear your point….There is nobody in the farm that can play centre at the NHL level.

Hopefully, Roy, Platzer or Yakimov surprise and develop….

We were one pick away from having Sean Monohan…..

16. "Steve Smith" says:

denny33,

I see Gordon as replacing Horcoff, which I think, as you say, leaves Lander to replace Belanger. I don’t see Lander as an upgrade on Belanger, but he might surprise.

Of course, all of this assumes a healthy RNH. Without one, we’re probably looking at two centres incapable of playing NHL minutes competently. And one of the remaining ones, in Gordon, is an offensive blackhole. I hope Gagner’s got a few more eight point games in him, but I have it on good authority that he’s no better than Kyle Wellwood.

In summary, we’re screwed.

17. LP says:

Kiprusoff retires and no one is chatting about this?

As an Oilers fan, this is great news!!

18. regwald says:

LP:
    Kiprusoff retires and no one is chatting about this?

As an Oilers fan, this is great news!!

This is bad news. His decaying SV% was wonderful to ensure the Flames dive to the basement. Now they might find a better, cheaper option.

19. Ribs says:

It is pretty scary to think of how much the season may depend on how Gagner plays because of the center iceman problem. Hopefully the thumbsitting is kept to a minimum if it looks like he’s not going to be able to get the job done.

20. Bar_Qu says:

This issue with the centre position is how badly many teams in the NHL were doing with centre depth. The cost of a guy like Grabovski for bottom 6 duty was going to be well out of line with what a salary cap would allow (especially an arbitrarily reduced one); thus Edm is in the same boat as a number of other teams using binder twine and chewing gum to fill holes in depth.

Not great, but I don’t necessarily see it as a managerial failure.

21. Zipdot says:

Ribs: Off to Russia… http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/07/15/eric-belanger-moving-to-khl-after-edmonton-oilers-buyout/

Thanks. I see his team is DFL in the standings and they’re looking at him to turn it around. How ironic!

22. denny33 says:

Bar_Qu,

How the ramifications to selecting David Musil with the 1st pick in the 2nd round of the 2011 NHL entry draft.

Boone Jenner – 6’2 – over 200 pounds centreman…..excellent numbers in junior.

First dip in the AHL – 5 games played – 4 points scored. Including 3 goals….

Potential 3rd line centreman anyone?

The most loyal fans and Oiler bias – says David Musil can barely skate at the WHL level…

23. Bar_Qu says:

denny33:
    Bar_Qu,

Boone Jenner – 6’2 – over 200 pounds centreman…..excellent numbers in junior.

First dip in the AHL – 5 games played – 4 points scored. Including 3 goals….

Potential 3rd line centreman anyone?

I can’t argue that one. Boone Jenner is a great prospect. But the choice to draft Musil is not at the feet of the current GM – likely it falls into the category of “things that got the last GM fired”. Though the Oilers seem to have a fixation with drafting big, potentially Jason Smith-type defenders for a few years, based simply on his selection and the years following (Marincin, Gernat, Klefbom, Nurse, etc).

24. LP says:

regwald,

Joey MacDonald 21 GP
    Leland Irving 6 GP
    Daniel Taylor 2 GP
    Kiprusoff 24 GP

With Kipper now gone, none of those goalies scare me. I’ll take Dubnyk way before any of these backup goalies.

They do have Laurent Brossoit (from Oil kings) and he may be a player, but he will likely need more time.

I think this is good for the Oilers.

25. regwald says:

LP:
    regwald,

Joey MacDonald21 GP
    Leland Irving 6 GP
    Daniel Taylor2 GP
    Kiprusoff24 GP

I think this is good for the Oilers.

I agree, none of these goalies scare anyone. I just think the search begins for a real goaltender and he will be an upgrade on Kipper.

And will be much more cap hit friendly at the start.

26. jfry says:

LP,

the flames have the two best goalies not in the NHL about to join their team. frankly, they’re in a much better position in net with regards to depth and potential than the oilers. reto berra and ramo. if they are what they appear to be. they’ve just gotten way better in net than the last few years. kipper hasn’t been replacement level in four years, other than in small bursts.

27. Zipdot says:

Bar_Qu: I can’t argue that one. Boone Jenner is a great prospect. But the choice to draft Musil is not at the feet of the current GM – likely it falls into the category of “things that got the last GM fired”.

Poor Tamby, just wanted Frank Musil to like him. :(

Went out and spent a high pick on a lame horse.

28. VanOil says:

While we watch the pot and read the tea leaves this September maybe the group can help decipher the following Omens and Potentates

This summer cleaning out my junk from my moms place in YEG I found two unexpected hockey cards;

Steve Tambellini’s 1982 O-pee-Chee listing him as a Rockie but showing as a Devil

Stan Weir’s 1981 O-pee-Chee that notes “Stan’s value to the Oilers is hard work, savvy and scoring touch.”

Will Stan trump the Devellini as a potentate to lead the Oilers to the promised land again?

And in less mystical queries is this David Bowie singing on the new Arcade Fire track? (interactive video works fine with out sharing web cam, but maybe with it you can see him) https://www.justareflektor.com

29. OilLeak says:

LP:
    regwald,

Joey MacDonald21 GP
    Leland Irving 6 GP
    Daniel Taylor2 GP
    Kiprusoff24 GP

I think this is good for the Oilers.

You’re forgetting about Karri Ramo, he’s put up great numbers in the KHL.

30. Rebilled says:

Maybe we need to remind the Oiler brass that Marty Reasoner was selected 14th overall!

They love high draft picks!

31. LP says:

jfry,

OilLeak,

Yes, you guys are right. it seems the flames have a few good goaltenders in the pipeline…

Hopefully it takes them some time to figure it out.

Here’s hoping they suck this year.

32. wheatnoil says:

Rebilled:

They love high draft picks!

That was the old GM. The new GM likes under-appreciated former players he’s coached.

Wait a minute…

33. Rebilled says:

wheatnoil,

I think Kevin Lowe likes high draft picks. Didn’t he get Tamby to get them for him so he wouldn’t look like a < 6 cups loser like Tamby? He's been here FOREVER.

What are the reasons MacT hasn't gotten Reasoner?

You know what they say about the Pacific Division?
    It has no memory.

It can be fun to tell people that Shawshank is your least favourite movie as almost everyone loves it.

34. FastOil says:

Centre depth is why signing Jones was a bad idea. It is debatable that he is even decent at playing wing. Same with Joenssu. They could have signed the apparent leper Mueller and another pox ridden centre and had them rotating to wing and back as needed.

I find it odd that despite signs of deeper understanding MacT hasn’t perceived the benefits of this, especially given he was one. Maybe his MBA didn’t cover cross training.

35. regwald says:

FastOil:

But coach Eakins told him to buy a good pair of cross trainers to all management meetings. He surely knows a good pair of crosstrainers when he sees them.

36. commonfan14 says:

The best part about bringing in Reasoner would be that we could eventually trade him at the deadline to lock up a deep playoff run.

37. dawgtoy says:

wheatnoil,

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption is a Novella from the book Different Seasons by Stephen King. The book contains four stories. Obviously Shawshank Redemption is an incredible movie, as is a second Novella from that book … The Body. It would be made into a movie in 1986, though the title would change to Stand By Me. I’d agree that both movies are actually better, but I find it incredible that a book of four “Short Stories” could go on to inspire three films. Appologies for “thread jacking” but I love that film almost as much as the Oilers.

38. prairieschooner says:

Sorry guys but I have misplaced my schedule
    Is this a doom and gloom week?

39. MrDooman says:

prairieschooner:
    Sorry guys but I have misplaced my schedule
    Is this a doom and gloom week?

the Oilers just got blown out three games in a row! We’re doomed!

40. Jon K says:

OilLeak: You’re forgetting about Karri Ramo, he’s put up great numbers in the KHL.

Ramo’s SP% hasn’t been stellar compared to his backup’s. Though I don’t know what the Desjardin equivalency for SP% would be from the KHL to NHL, I can say that anecdotally goalies seem more easily able to post high percentages there.

Ramo’s last four KHL seasons:

2009-2010: 0.913
    Backup 0.924

2010-2011: 0.925
    Backup 0.911

2011-2012: 0.925
    Backup 0.928

2012-2013: 0.929
    Backup 0.910

Unless one of Calgary’s goalies greatly exceeds reasonable expectations based upon past performance, they are going to look a lot like the 2006-2007 Oilers without Roloson.

41. DeadmanWaking says:

I’m pretty sure that roughly once a day the word “Smithson” crosses MacT’s mind and he goes into a cold sweat. He’ll be hovering over the bailing twine at training camp like an expectant father in his determination not to grasp at the best straw from a bad market, while knowing that reality might force his hand.

If he does find himself forced to panic and pick one, center is the position he knows best. Mediocre generals address first their areas of strength, then worry about their lingering weakness. A top general first shores up his weakness and if he can’t have it all, wings it the area where he is most competent to make a pressured decision.

Facing four major problems and given the choice between four helpings of second best or three helpings of a proper fix leaving one terrifying, gaping hole I usually choose the later. It’s amazing how having one large terrifying, gaping hole focuses the mind of a solid group.

It’s also amazing how four helpings of second best can get distracted by each yanking on one corner of a blanket that isn’t large enough to cover the bed. They all think “with just a little extra warmth, I can fill this role” but there actually isn’t enough warmth to share among them. That scampering blanket is named “dysfunction”. Whitney had a two-handed arm coil and one thumb in his mouth. Yeah, his breakout pass was still an asset if someone else covered his vacant post. If we had been knee deep in Gators that might even have proved workable under duress.

I say better to have three good solutions and an empty cot.

Heading into TC with a glaringly empty cot and a rookie head coach is going to be one hell of an adrenaline rush for the silver fox. This could go sideways faster than Roger Ebert’s face, which ultimately consumed many of his other body parts. Leaving a giant, gaping hole is no-one’s idea of a good time. The upside of the gaping hole is that a real solution sometimes somehow falls into place and now you’re really got something, whereas there’s never a quick fix for patchwork mediocrity.

This year, because of the cap adjustment, glaringly empty cots remain in abundant supply late in the day. The GMs who discover they’re walking over hot coals with far too little lava rock will be burning up the wires before the puck drops on the regular season. If there are five GMs in this group, two trades will be consummated while the fifth guy goes home empty handed to publicly douse himself with gasoline. As a team on the outside looking up–potentially way up–there are plenty of other teams in the Western Conference highly motivated if the opportunity presents itself to work against MacT landing the perfect piece. Vancouver already did this once. He’s sitting at the table with extra aces and few friends. No team on the bubble wants to see him lay down an aces-high full house.

If he values his job and his reputation, and I think he does, I’d guess his spider senses are dialed up right now to about 9.5.

42. wheatnoil says:

dawgtoy,

I picked up Different Seasons about 12 or 13 years ago because I saw that it had the novella that Shawshank Redemption was based off of. The novella was good, but that movie had struck such an emotional cord with me when I first saw that there was no way the book could stand up to it.

Then I kept reading and saw the next title was Apt Pupil and I thought, ‘Is that the story that the movie was based off of?’. A couple pages in, I realized it was. After that, I was half-way through The Body before I realized, ‘wait a minute… this is Stand By Me!!’. It was a surreal experience. The Breathing Method ended up being quite a let-down in comparison to the other three.

I agree, three great stories inspiring two great movies (and one ‘okay’ one). Not a bad book to pick up at a train station in India for a 30 hour train ride!

43. wheatnoil says:

DeadmanWaking,

Great post DMW!

44. "Steve Smith" says:

wheatnoil:
    DeadmanWaking,

Great post DMW!

That’s redundant.

It was awesome, though.

46. BlacqueJacque says:

… wait, people actually read those walls of rambling text?

47. Ribs says:

So who takes more faceoffs this season….Ryan Smyth or Taylor Hall? Hmm…

48. Ribs says:

…And as I refresh I see there’s a new post discussing Taylor Hall at C. Nice.

49. "Steve Smith" says:

BlacqueJacque:
    … wait, people actually read those walls of rambling text?

50. BlacqueJacque says:

“Steve Smith”: DMW going for a ramble is more entertaining than most of us going for a ride on a rocket-propelled jet scooter, with the backing of a full chorus line (also on jet scooters, presumably).

Alright, if you say so.

I thought he was another Dee Ess Eff alter-ego after all the times that troll has been banned.

DMW is one of the finest posters in the history of the blog. He even (incredibly) waits for threads to age in order for others to post on things before ripping off something brilliant (as he did today). ALWAYS a fine read.

52. BlacqueJacque says:

Really?

Alright, since you guys keep saying so.

I guess my 20 years on the internet have made me cynical of long posts.

I find the asshole posts are usually much shorter. Usually exactly 23 words long. Mostly.

54. jp says:

I thought you were talking about Kari Takko there for a minute.

55. theres oil in virginia says:

BlacqueJacque:
    … wait, people actually read those walls of rambling text?

It’s pseudo-apparent-rambling. Highly technical.

Do dashed words count as one word in that analysis?

No. They count as one. :-)

57. theres oil in virginia says:

Very nicely done then.

58. BlacqueJacque says:

Maybe it’s because high school and university alike made me despise James Joyce as an over-rated hack whose only achievement that will be remembered past the century mark was the elimination of any and all punctuation in a book that was the 19th century equivalent of Britney Spears shaving her head for shock value and simultaneous practical effect due to her alleged drug habits at the same time as she was facing a court case where child custody and more importantly monetary layout depended on her passing a piss test and likely hair follicle test which brings me back to Dead Man Walking and his inane rambling and convoluted language along with inadequate punctuation and grammar where simple statements like the acknowledgment of Vancouver realizing Edmonton is not only a future but also immediate threat to their divisional supremacy caused the scuttling of a deal that would have been otherwise superior for said Canucks if only they’d looked at the immediate results rather than Craig MacTavish’s long-term plans and his obvious desperation in attempting to overpay for not just Schneider but Clarkson and David Perron the left winger from St. Louis who will no doubt make Lowetide eat his words of criticism about Magnus Pajaarvi who is about to come into his own as an NHL power forward with a Lemieux-like build and a temperament that may not be as determined but will certainly exceed the Penner-like qualities that LT seems to assume which brings us back to Dead Man Walking and his incredibly long-winded point and wall of text that says little in effect that hasn’t been said on this popular and vocal blog and comments section over the past fucking year by many others along with myself as I demonstrate that not only can Dead Man Walking make a basic point in a literary fashion that is impressive to the layman but in fact devoid of meaningful content but so can I so I hope we can all drop the veneer of being impressed with modest English language skills by an internet poster named after a zombie as well as myself and above all that useless fucking hack James Joyce who taught me this stupid fucking pathetic style of writing without any fucking punctuation and as liberal as I am in most matters this sole fact about James Joyce made me hate gay people because my prof was not only a metaphorical faggot but a literal one so I’ve come to associate faggotry with terrible punctuation and pretentious attempts at differentiating oneself from the commons.

Didn’t read all the above? I hope not, because James Joyce is an over-rated hack, and anyone can write fancy if they care, Dead Man Walking’s points – in my not-so-humble-opinion – are the most banal and basic analyses of the Oilers disguised in flowery language, the way Ulysses is a terrible story disguised as some shocking “attack on the English literary establishment”. As I just demonstrated, if we all attempt that, we’ll either sound like DMW or worse, James Joyce, or almost-as-bad, the classics like Virgil and Homer or trying to make even more obscure hipster references to classical literature.

Too Long, Didn’t Read; Blacquejacque is not impressed. Feel free to hate me.

59. jp says:

Just getting to the end of the thread now. Yes, exceptional post DMW!!

DMW rocks.

61. Ribs says:

How can you not appreciate reading something like that? Well done, as always, DMW.

62. BlacqueJacque says:

To each is own.

In case anyone is interested, here’s the sum total of DMW’s point:

He thinks MacT may be so desperate to build a winning team that Mac would consider signing Smithson again, because apparently due to his bias developed as a player, Mac thinks that centre is more important than any other position to such an extent that he’d ignore blatant weaknesses in other positions to fix centre.

That’s a point I can get behind, if only it was written as a single paragraph.

Blacque Jacques: Comic books are great, but so are the classics!

64. wheatnoil says:

BlacqueJacque,

I don’t think that was DMW’s point.

65. BlacqueJacque says:

Like I said, to each his own.

I don’t usually come to a sports blog to read a wall of text that says what could be said in a tenth of that space.

I should stop bitching b/c I’m drunk. At least he doesn’t blatantly troll like Dee Ess Fail.

66. BlacqueJacque says:

No, really, everyone, I apologize.

If you enjoy DMW’s posts, go ahead. Sometimes (often) I get a little opinionated and inflict that worldview on others.

67. Zipdot says:

I’ve learned a lot from reading every DMW post and the guy needs to be cherished. You might do yourself some good checking him out. I guess a lot of geniuses are not recognized in their own time and DMW may be an example of that. He reads a bit like Thomas Pynchon, but in a good way.

Blacque Jacque: First drunk poster at this blog ever! (not really, probably been 1,000 before you) :-)

69. dawgtoy says:

wheatnoil,

Brilliant!

70. "Steve Smith" says:

I should note in fairness that I recall DMW once expressing a fondness for the Big Bang Theory, which didn’t impress me much. So there’s that.

71. theres oil in virginia says:

72. Zipdot says:

theres oil in virginia: I’ve never posted drunk here. Well, never-never that is. Same thing really. When I do, it’s always brilliant. Well, always-always brilliant that is.

Inside joke? Going over my head-head.

73. theres oil in virginia says:

Whoops, that was supposed to be “always-never”. So, not an inside joke, just a lame one! Never-never being a double-negative. Also, 23 words.