ALL DAY. ALL. DAY.

The Edmonton Oilers signed Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to a contract today, a $42 year contract over 7 years. It’s basically the same deal as Taylor Hall signed last year. I’m thrilled. In honor of baby Nuge, I’m going to have a glass of milk, and then I’m going to  have another one!

nuge1

I know there will be blog posts on the Oilogosphere that are down on the deal, or feel this contract could have waited for a month or until next summer. That’s not the feeling of this blog’s author. I’d love to see the Oilers sign Yakupov to the same deal tomorrow morning–betting on ridiculous talent long term is always a good idea, in any business.

• MacT: ”This was a complete no-brainer for us… he’s been all-in since he arrived here.”

The Nuge is vitally important to this hockey club: a pure center who has the range of skills and has them at the highest levels. I don’t know if he’s going to be Dave Keon or Pavel Datsyuk or Joe Sakic, but that’s not important right now. The best part of the media conference was MacT’s line about the ‘no trade’ deal–I don’t think there’s any danger about him moving on or being dealt.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a tremendously gifted athlete with his head on straight and a will to get better–and God love him his off-ice goal is to learn to play the guitar. I wish we had 2 more just like him–oh wait–we do!

I see this as a good day. There’s a risk, sure, that’s true in any agreement. Betting on a former #1 overall with RNH’s resume and possible future? All day. ALL. DAY.

54 Responses to "ALL DAY. ALL. DAY."

1. oliveoilers says:

You know what LT, you’re right. He might not be any of those fine players you mentioned. He just might be RNH, and that’s good enough for me!

2. Gi JQE says:

Very, very pleased.

Now only big question for me is Schultz Jr. Yak should be signed as LT stated… as soon as possible.

But what do you pay Schultz? Is he going to ask for 6 mil? I don’t see how we can afford that to him and the other 4????

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

C’mon LT, we’re celebrating!!

“Lou, give me a milk, chocolate”

4. Lucinius says:

Unless J. Schultz has a break-out season with massive offensive numbers and a decent to good defensive showing there is no way he gets more than 5.5 mil/year. Also, J. Schultz is likely the player they give a shorter deal to. I think 4 years is the max they give him, and I don’t think it’ll be north of 5 million. I wouldn’t be surprised to see something like 4×4.75 or 2×4.25.

5. Zelepukin says:

The equality of these contracts is genius on multiple levels. Even if Yaks puts up a great year, chances are one of the other 3 will still have a better year statistically, which will justify Yaks accepting the same contract or less.

Mentally all 3 (4 – Yaks) can remove any financially driven competitiveness or resentment against each other and just focus on winning cups, fully knowing that they’ll be playing together for the next 6 years at least. These guys are also close friends and you can’t underestimate the strength in them having close to equal contracts.

As Young Oil mentioned, having Nuge, Eberle and Hall for $18M as opposed to Getzlaf and Perry for $17 is amazing. It’s not impossible that all 3 put up better numbers than those 2 within a year or two.

6. speeds says:

The problem in negotiating with Schultz is that (a) he’ll have arbitration rights next summer and (b) he’ll likely post big offensive numbers regardless of whether or not he improves his defensive game.

7. fifthcartel says:

I don’t see J.Schultz getting more than 5M max unless he puts up some crazy Letang-like numbers. I was a little confused when he was lumped in with Yakupov in the ‘where does it end?!?” rant on TSN. Either way, glad to have RNH locked up. and I saw somewhere else they dubbed Hall-RNH-Eberle the apocalypse line (6-6-6). I like that.

8. delooper says:

fifthcartel:

Apocalypse before taxes somehow doesn’t sound quite right…

9. OilClog says:

Serenity now!

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

his edges. His Edges! HIS EDGES!!!!!!! ahgrrrhahahaeghahhhhhhhha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. nelson88 says:

Good day! I will never understand the angst on a deal like this for a player of RNH’s calibre so no use trying. Line up the cockspur and ale’s.

Romulus Apotheosis:

God love him, he didn’t call me a dummy once. I’m CERTAIN he thought it, though. :-)

13. Lucinius says:

Man, just looking at the past two years of this comparison is interesting and yet not surprising;

Last year Perry and Getzlaf scored 26 fewer points than the trio of Eberle/Hall/Hopkins (and considering the sheer numbers of games that trio played even before the NHL season started compared to Perry/Getzlaf and how RNH was playing hurt the entire time…) so they won that bet and were on ELCs.

The year before that it was even more lop-sided; the Oiler trio scored 64 points more than the duo of Perry/Getzlaf. While the trio should out-score a duo.. RNH only had 52 points, so the duo of Eberle/Hall out-scored Perry/Getzlaf by 12 points.

Our trio will only get better. Perry and Getzlaf and nearing the end of their prime (both are 28) and the Oiler trio have yet to hit their prime.

And only a million dollar difference.

Basically, its not even close.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’ll never forget my Steve Serdachny interview, in which he nicely, calmly and then FIRMLY suggested my question about “first step quickness” was impossible to answer since his edges and stops and starts made him incomparable to the players one would accuse of having a problem with first step quickness.

I love watching Ferraro (who knows a thing or two about centers) gush over RNH while playing with a tablet:

15. BlacqueJacque says:

fifthcartel:

They’re a little one-sided on TSN, but they do bring up a good point.

Let’s have Ebs-Hall-Nuge-Yak all at $6m. That’s $24m right there.

Schultz we’ll settle at a $4m price. Gagner is getting $4.8. That’s $32.8m in six players. Just over half the cap. Then you need a goalie and I don’t think you’ll get a decent one under $3.5m. $36.3m.

On top of that, you have Nurse and Klefbom, both of whom are likely to get big contracts after their ELCs. Say $4m each, on average. That’s $8m, which brings the cap to $44.3m. Perron is earning $3.8 right now but got dealt because St. Louis – which isn’t paying $28.8m to their top 5 forwards – couldn’t afford him.

Anyway, we’re not at $48.1m with 10 players signed and another 13 left. Ference is already eating $3.25m, Smid has $3.5m locked up, so chalk up another $7m to that cap hit – $55.1m. For 12 players. That leaves $8m to sign another 11 more. Oh, wait, Boyd Gordon is still here through 2015-2016 at $3m per. $58.1m cap total and $5m left to sign 10 more. Even at the lowest contract hit, you can’t sign 10 guys for $5m.

Now this is only 2015-2016 we’re talking about, so the cap isn’t going up $10m. It may not even go up $5m with the way the economy is, and remember, a lower revenue share doesn’t mean just a lower cap, but slower growth in the cap. The 2015-2016 season is going to be ugly here in Edmonton, because we’ll be dealing someone who is going to be really, really good. Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Yak… A great player will be dealt for picks and prospects. And if not, we face the possibility of having 5 defencemen on cheap ELCs or who are of the “$750,000-$1m” quality.

It doesn’t matter what a great pairing Nurse-Schultzy will be, even if they play 30 minutes a night, because backing them up will be the Marc-Andre Bergeons, the Mark Fistrics, the Danny Syvrets and Mathieu Roys of the NHL world. Guys who often have if not many significant weaknesses, then one blatant one that can be easily exploited.

Scary shit.

16. Zack says:

Love the Nuge getting signed long term. The Oil brass are starting to look pretty good when you see a guy like Kadri getting signed for 5.8 (I think). If they can lock up Yak and Schultz now it’s going to be looking very good for Oil Country.

Out of the core I think Nuge will be the most valuable, he may not but up the biggest numbers, they will be significant soon enough though, but his role at C and his one ice vison is absolutely sublime. I think Hall and Yak will battle it out for offensive flair and Ebs is going to become a beauty 2 way offensive forward. Real exciting times. Finally. It’s been almost a decade.

17. speeds says:

BlacqueJacque,

The timelines don’t line up for all that though. For example, if EDM sends Nurse back to junior this year, Ference and Smid’s contracts would be expired by the time Nurse needs a new contract, even if Nurse cracks the NHL at 19.

18. speeds says:

Admittedly, they would still need to replace those players, however the cap would likely also have risen.

19. nelson88 says:

BlacqueJacque,

Won’t be easy but would you rather have the Oilers “problem” for the next 6 years than; for instance, a $15M cap-hit for Suter and Parise until they are 40 and NMC/NTC to boot. Or the Sedin’s (great players) likely looking for $6.5M+ into their mid 30″s.

I look forward to DSF’s take.

20. Zack says:

BlacqueJacque,

I was thinking about that too a little bit BlacqueJacque but when the time comes and it will we can worry about it then. Lets enjoy the times, let the good times roll.

At least we are not in Calgary’s position worrying about how to attain more assets for the future, for once we will have an overflow of quality players and chips at play.

21. rickithebear says:

elite teams spend:
    18M top 3
    13.5 to 15m 4-7
    15-16
    Hall 6M
    Eberle 6M
    RNH 6M
    Yak 6M
    Gagner 4.8M
    Perron 3.8M
    Gordon 3M
    That will be 1.5M more than what boston is paying the top 7 this year.
    4m more than Chi top 7 right now.

Smid 3.5M
    Ference 3.25M
    Petry?
    J. Schultz?

it was interesting to here Macvt ‘s responce to the questions about J. schultz.
    you can afford around 11M for your top 2.
    You will be re-negotiating Nurse in 16-17.

22. hags9k says:

Awesome news today!! I’d love to celebrate properly but since I’m just starting to work a week of night shifts, I’ll have a coffee, then another one. GOILERS

The OIlers will be paying their top 4 forwards for the foreseeable future what contending teams will be paying their top 3 forwards. MacT is also shifting cap space from today into the future, by overpaying now, when he has cap room, in anticipation that the latter half of these contracts will be bargains.

The risk is a relapse of the global economic crisis, but most teams will be in the same boat. But in that case, it is the role players who will take the massive salary hits.

The threshold–at least a little–is making sure they’re all contracts that can be traded for value. If the Oilers end up too close to the cap, they might have to deal Jordan Eberle or Sam Gagner. However, if you’re forced to choose, you make that move.

The line in the sand is far from RNH, Hall and Yakupov.

25. Melman says:

nelson88,

Totally agree – it’s a relief to have this problem. Things will happen we all know, and as always there will be the need for a Brian Bickell,etc. to come up from the minor system and provide a value contract when the deep playoff runs are going down….THIS SPRING wahahaha

26. bookje says:

LT said ” The best part of the media conference was MacT’s line about the ‘no trade’ deal–I don’t think there’s any danger about him moving on or being dealt.”

What was MacT’s line?

27. B S says:

He said the no trade clause was that Nuge wasn’t allowed to ask for a trade.

bookje: “I’ve asked Ryan not to ask for a trade.”

29. Lois Lowe says:

I see almost no downside to having the 1C signed at 6 million a season. Talking about not using the leverage of bridge contract to the team’s/player’s advantage doesn’t do justice to personal nature of many negotiations. The Oilers avoid a Gagner-like bridge deal which wasn’t ideal this summer, and renegotiating with Nuge when Yak and Schultz are due doesn’t make much sense. Further, I suspect the Oilers are viewing this contract as buying 4 UFA seasons.

30. Young Oil says:

Sorry that this is off topic, but just an update on the players we have in the KHL:

Hartikainen was 6 points (3G 3A) in 6 games.

Slepyshev has nothing in 5 games.

Yakimov has 4 points (1G 3A) in 5 games, he’s +2, and is 68.8% on the draw, while averaging less than 10 minutes a night! I know the KHL is sometimes unreliable with stats, and it’s early in the season, but those are some nice stats early in his KHL career!

YO: I think Harski is eating Slepyshev’s lunch! I doubt it last long but you’d like to see the youngster turn that around. Yakimov is going to get a really good chance in the NHL if he keeps posting those kinds of numbers, and his TOI will go north pretty soon here.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Young Oil:

Hartikainen was 6 points (3G 3A) in 6 games.

Slepyshev has nothing in 5 games.

Any word on Zharkov?

33. Chunklets says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Any word on Zharkov?

Scored his first goal (and point) of the season today!

Further to that, he’s been getting about 8.5 min./game, and is even +/- through 6 games.

34. bookje says:

bookje: “I’ve asked Ryan not to ask for a trade.”

Thanks, I just listened too the whole press conference. MacT said a lot of good things in it. He is really settling into the job now and his confidence shows.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Young Oil,

Chunklets,

thanks for the updates guys!

are Tuohimaa and Gustafsson the only other non-NA prospects?

36. JohnnyRocket says:

Thank baby jesus for baby Nuge. Sweet, sweet deal. 6 times 7 for Yak. 5.5 times 7 for Schultz. Then happy, happy days.

JohnnyRocket:

38. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Any word on Zharkov?

Good God, I had a flashback to M Zhukov. He didn’t amount to much, but he’s currently tied with Slepyshev in KHL scoring.

fifthcartel:

I like that a lot too.

Love the deal as well!

39. stevezie says:

JohnnyRocket,

Schultz is a question mark. There’s a difference between betting on a first overall who’s played two NHL seasons as a teenager and a 23 year-old who has played 40 NHL games.

Schultz has blown away expecations, but let’s not get nuts just yet. This season will set his price tag. At this point there’s more to lose than to gain by paying him too early.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I think so, Gustafsson has a couple of games in with no boxcars. Tuohimaa had a very nice first game

Looks like Samu came over to NA anyway

that will be interesting to watch, which player guts out a better resume. I think Frans is in a better place to help himself staying in Europe… and at this point, he’s got nearly 0 real organizational competition for prospect status.

41. BlacqueJacque says:

David Clarkson -2 on the night in Ottawa, on for both goals. 4 hits, 2 PIM.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    David Clarkson -2 on the night in Ottawa, on for both goals.4 hits, 2 PIM.

Cloutier looking good though

43. FastOil says:

While it would be nice to see bridge contracts to allow the team to sign 8 year deals and retain control of these talents into their 30′s (to avoid resigning them at offensive peaks), one has to be amazed at what is happening.

Of all places in Canada or even NA, we have these players signing very similar deals, almost like a CBA. Weird. But awesome.

Once Yak and Jultz are signed, assuming they follow the plan and why wouldn’t they?, things are looking pretty bright for loading up on talent down the road. You would have to think the young bucks are thinking the same way.

A team deep in talent committed long term. I think I’ll have a cold one.

44. Dead Cat Bounce says:

BlacqueJacque:
    David Clarkson -2 on the night in Ottawa, on for both goals.4 hits, 2 PIM.

Mason Raymond with 1G and 1A.

Ryan Jones?

Good grief.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Mason Raymond with 1G and 1A.

Ryan Jones?

Good grief.

Yea, that 1 goal in 2 games is really disturbing production from a bottom 6er.

Great grains.

46. ASkoreyko says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Mason Raymond with 1G and 1A.

Ryan Jones?

Good grief.

Is this what you have been reduced to now DSF? You are trying to troll us talking about bottom 6 players on a one year deal?

You had a good run, and lord knows you were supplied with ample material but you better pull up your socks if you are going to remain a first line troll.

47. BlacqueJacque says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Go away.

48. delooper says:

DSF won groceries for life at Safeway…. and complained that Safeway didn’t carry the antiperspirant he prefers.

49. G Money says:

delooper: D.S.F. won groceries for life at Safeway…. and complained that Safeway didn’t carry the antiperspirant he prefers.

LOL. Let’s not forget the rants about how much better Sobey’s is because last year strawberries were on sale the same day and were $0.05 cheaper. Or how the bread, even though it’s 50g smaller and costs $2 more, is actually better at 7-11 because it’s a more “complete” loaf of bread!

50. rickithebear says:

We have Petry and Schultz due:
    13-14
    EVGA:
    Petry: 17.31 min 1st comp 2.24 ga/60 (24th 1st comp) +2.3GD
    J. schultz 16.92 min 3rd comp 3.47 ga/60 (4th worst) -25.5GD
    EVPT+SHPT & EVA:
    Petry: 12 EVPT+SHP(36th) & 9 ESA (36th)
    J. Schultz: 12EVPT+SHP & 8 EVA (49th)
    PPPT:
    Petry: .57 min 0 PPPT 4.32GF/60 -1.4GD
    J. Schultz 2.96 min 15 PPPT (7th) 6.75gF/60 +2.4GD
    PKGA
    Petry: 3.26min 4.22 Pkga/60 (21st) +8.3GD
    J. Schultz: .57 min 15.26 PKGA/60 (2nd worst) -7.1GD

petry: +9.2 GD
    J.Schultz: -30.2 GD

The nice thing is we will get a better read of who J. Schulltz is after this year!
    There are people out there that used the term good Year for j. schultz.
    Do they know Hockey?

51. stevezie says:

The troll attempt is pointless and transparent, but that doesn’t make it invalid. Jones gets trashed all the time on this blog and then when DCBounce attacks him everyone leaps to his defence. I don’t think you would have a hard time arguing for Raymond, Wellwood or the UFA winger of your choice over Jones., MacT went with the guy he knew. That is defensible, but c’mon. Jones is flawed.

52. BlacqueJacque says:

stevezie,

Raymond got bounced from Vancouver because he’s not physical enough for a 3rd line role. He’s a top-6-style forward who doesn’t produce enough points to keep the role.

53. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: God love him, he didn’t call me a dummy once. I’m CERTAIN he thought it, though.

Haha, I remember listening that interview, and when you asked that question I was thinking “Here we go!”

Serdachny handled it great. He was every bit as effusive about RNH’s elite skating as I hoped/expected he would be, without tearing you down even a little bit. Best of all worlds.

54. Lewis Grant says:

LT,

I see you have wisely started a newer post today about Oilers D depth, thereby heading off potential ill will over RNH’s deal.

I like RNH a lot as a player. Clearly, he has a ton of potential.

But not every player with potential fulfills it. I’ll go on record saying that I’m concerned about this deal.

How can anyone objectively argue that he deserves more than Landeskog, who got $5.5M a year? Based on RNH’s numbers, you could very easily make the case that he was not quite in the Hall/Eberle range (at least 0.8PPG range). Short first year with numbers inflated by SH% and unsustainable PP numbers, plus an offensively disappointing second year.

Does everybody get $6M now? What if Yak scores at the same rate as last year? How do you give him less than $6M? What about Justin Schultz?

The Oilers have been overpaying for years, and in a cap era, that’s a killer. I fear that MacTavish is failing to curb this unfortunate practice.