BRANDON AND THE JETS (ROOKIES G2)

Brandon Davidson and the Oilers rookies take to the ice tonight against the young Winnipeg Jets, an opportunity to renew acquaintances for two WHA cities. It’s been quite a season for Davidson, and should he find his way to the NHL anytime soon he should write a book about his hockey experiences:

• a young Canadian who didn’t play the game of hockey until later because the price was too dear
  • overcame cancer this hockey season and came back to play at a high level during the AHL late and post-season.
  • overcoming a suddenly deep Oiler blueline chart that includes some terrific talent.

I’d buy that book, on pre-order. (Davidson photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

TONIGHT’S LINEUP

• Line 1: Khaira-Platzer-Miller
    Line 2: Ewanyk-Kessy-Bilcke
    Line 3: Schaber-Baddock-Chase
    Line 4: Roy-Fyten-Houck
  • Pairing 1: Klefbom-Marincin
    Gernat-Davidson
    Leach-Musil
  • Goalies: Cadorette starting Palazzese backup

I think they may give up a touchdown. The top line (Khaira) might produce but Platzer is a complete unknown and Miller didn’t show much offensively in game one. Ewanyk’s line is clearly put together to initiate/answer any crap coming back from the other side (sometimes these rookie tournaments get ugly, and I mean ugly with thugs trying to prove themselves. Alex Plante and some guy named Kyle Greentree are recent examples of injuries early in TC from someone trying to make a name) and the other two lines are a mixed bags of nuts and younger nuts. Defense? Top pairing should have fun, I’m really looking forward to the second pairing and the third pairing are stay-at-home and tough. No idea about the goalies.

8:30 tonight, Edmonton Oilers web.

yakupov26The signings are coming fast and furious now (Boedker today) and the PTO’s are trickling in (Hal Gill to Philly–perfect!) and the longer we go without an Oiler addition the better the chances we don’t get a center option for the Oilers through the back door. What does this mean? Lander, Acton or Ryan Smyth, and if an injury occurs, then two of those options. Unless there’s more to the Taylor Hall at center conversation. We’ll find out soon enough.

Todd Nelson has a plan for tonight, and although I don’t think this Oiler group has one chance in hell I’m impressed that he’s trying something to hold back the water. This is going to be a tough weekend for these kids.

• Nelson: “We’re going to change our tactics a bit and go with two guys tonight on the forecheck. I think that everybody plays a one-man pressure system usually and so it was easier for the guys to maybe play it the first game. Since we didn’t have practice time I didn’t want to do two-man pressure. We’re going to do that tonight and hopefully it pays off. We’re going to play very aggressive tonight. We want to make sure their defencemen don’t have a lot of time and space to move the puck and we’re going to be right in their face. It’ll be a more aggressive game tonight.”

The Oilers roster doesn’t have a goalie they can count on but does boast some nice defensemen. The 5 best forward prospects by my estimate in this tournament for Edmonton are Marco Roy (#4 on my summer list), Jujhar Khaira (#6), Jackson Houck (#13), Andrew Miller (#18) and Greg Chase (#19); they’re all kids with the exception of Andrew Miller. Miller had a decent third period defensively but should be a more dominant player in all areas–he’ll need a strong game tonight if he’s going to have any traction entering main camp. He’s also very short, listed at 5.10 but I’d guess 5.07 is probably closer to the truth.

The big item is age and experience. Up front, Edmonton has four 1995 born, four 1994′s, two 1993′s, one 1992, three 1991′s and 1988 born Miller. The other night, Calgary had a more experienced group, but they were also far more talented up front than Edmonton and had a prospect goalie. Edmonton couldn’t compete that night, and should get beaten soundly by Winnipeg tonight.

JETS ROSTER HIGHLIGHTS

• C Mark Scheifele, now 20 and coming off a dominant final OHL season.
  • D Jacob Trouba, who has a buzz around him that frightens people. He may actually be lethal.
  • F Nic Petan, an underrated prospect in this summer’s draft and a potent offensive player.
  • D Josh Morrissey, a chaotic but gifted defender who was the Jets 1st rd pick this summer.
  • D Cody Sol, 6.06, 235.
  • L Adam Lowry, big winger now 20, scored 45 in the WHL last season.
  • two goalies who are legit prospects.

I don’t know how many of these guys will play tonight, Sol was looking for Sasquatch and there were reports that Trouba planned on wrestling a bear before the game. So, yeah.

95 Responses to "BRANDON AND THE JETS (ROOKIES G2)"

1. Bar_Qu says:

There’s bears in Penticton? Huh.

Is this rookie camp simply MacT showing all and sundry that if you ice a bunch of big guys who mainly hit and fight that you lose too?

I cannot otherwise figure out these Oiler line-ups for the life of me.

2. Bar_Qu says:

Brandon Davidson, cancer survivor, will wear the 'C' for the Oilers Rookies in Penticton tonight. Story up soon on Sportsnet.ca— Mark Spector (@SportsnetSpec) September 7, 2013

That’s something

Nice touch. I’m cheering for this guy. Terrific story.

4. Deans123 says:

Anyone know if you can watch the game using an Xbox 360?

5. russ99 says:

Bar_Qu,

Nope, MacT is showing how idiotic Tambellini’s endless hunt for the next Lucic really was.

i.e.: Amateur scouts and Stu, how abound drafting some forwards who can play the next couple of drafts?

Whitney signed his PTO with STL today, apparently. That injury cost him millions.

7. justDOit says:

Deans123: to

I watched the beginning of the Oiler game on my Amiga 64. What I thought was a thorough beat-down from the Flames, turned out to just be Space Invaders – was I depressed when I actually found the game.

If the Xbox has a browser that supports Flash streaming (I believe that’s what is used), then you might be in luck.

8. justDOit says:

Well you have to hand it to St. Louis. Last year, they took a write-off like Redden, pumped him up and traded him at the deadline for something better than what they got him for.

9. BlacqueJacque says:

BlacqueJacque: I wish he’d recant some of his comments about the Oilers, given his luck in the free agent market this summer.

11. speeds says:

If Petan is awesome tonight, I don’t want to hear all THAT much about, ok LT!

speeds:

If Petan is awesome tonight, I don’t want to hear all THAT much about, ok LT!

Shift by shift, speeds! :-)

13. B S says:

Wait, are they sitting Nurse? After only one bad game, it doesn’t seem fair to judge after one lousy game.

14. Ducey says:

russ99:
    Bar_Qu,

You mean like the three recent draftees playing in the KHL?

15. "Steve Smith" says:

Ducey,

Yeah, where they’re scoring no points. Can we buy out ELCs, or do we have to wait for them to expire?

16. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Keep an eye out for JC Lipon.

The Jets stole him in the 3rd round….#91 overall.

20 years old…36G 89P +34 115PIM in only 61GP with the Kamloops Blazers.

A much better bet to play in the NHL than Yakimov or Slepyshev

B S:

I don’t think that’s it, we’ll see him tomorrow afternoon and at the the U of A.

18. gcw_rocks says:

How much better would that line up look if the Oilers had traded up to get Samuelson instead of taking Musil, or had taken someone like Victor Rask, had then taken Nushechkin (sp?), and picked Rykov this year?

19. BlacqueJacque says:

Lowetide: I think that’s just bravado. He knew he was screwed, so did the Oilers. Horrible situation, I feel for the guy.

I do too, he was a good soldier and had a good attitude until this last season.

20. B S says:

BlacqueJacque,

I felt sorry for Whitney until he made those comments, then I just didn’t care what happened to him. Maybe it’s because I knew no-one else would pick him up, but I couldn’t feel for a guy that seemingly (not necessarily honestly, as per LT) out of touch with reality. I guess we’ll see how he does, not that I’ll hold it against Whitney if he has a good season.

21. jp says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Keep an eye out for JC Lipon.

The Jets stole him in the 3rd round….#91 overall.

20 years old…36G 89P +34 115PIM in only 61GP with the Kamloops Blazers.

A much better bet to play in the NHL than Yakimov or Slepyshev

I guess time will tell if he’s a better bet to play in the NHL than the Russians. Worth noting that Slepyshev already has 2 pro seasons under his belt (again, at a younger age than Lipon). We will see.

I haven’t seen Lipon play – anyone know the flaws to his game that kept him from being drafted till age 20? I’m guessing a lack of size and top end speed?

22. Kitchener says:

I’m telling y’all: Palazzese is a really good goalie. I’ve seen him play a ton in Kitchener. He’s the quiet, non-flashy, consistent, somehow-always-in-the-right-place kind of goalie who just keeps stopping the puck. Great rebound control means few highlight-reel saves, but also few goals against.

23. BlacqueJacque says:

B S:
    BlacqueJacque,

I sympathize with him as much as I can with any multi-millionaire. His career is on the line just as he should be earning his second and last big UFA contract, through no fault of his own (other than genetics). It’s regrettable he chose to attack the team but given MacT’s response, as LT said, it seems the team understood. The league as a whole seems to have understood, what with the complete lack of contract offers.

Because what skills does a hockey player have? He can’t become a tradesman or a business manager or a banker or whatever.

24. Dead Cat Bounce says:

jp: Yeah, I remember you calling him the next Lucic last fall. Not sure about the Lucic comp at 180 lbs, but he certainly is a decent prospect. Remember though that both Hamilton and Martindale topped 80 pts in Jr, and at even younger ages. We’ll see how his game translates to pro.

He’s actually got great wheels but was a late bloomer.

He was very small early and had a recent growth spurt and pretty much forced his way onto Canada’s World Junior team.

He finished up last season by scoring 23 points in 15 playoff games.

25. delooper says:

BlacqueJacque:

He’s only 30 years old and should have over ten million dollars tucked away by now. He could put himself through medical school without too much fuss. He certainly has the capital to front a start-up business on his own. He’s not in a bad situation at all…

26. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Kevin McCartney, who is covering the tournament for Jets Nation had this description of Lipon’s first game:

“#46 JC Lipon: I wrote on twitter that Lipon had made me a fan. The play came late in the first when he and Petan began a two-man cycle on the left boards (their left). It was very effective until Petan broke loose and Lipon was left without any options. He took a painful hit from behind to push the puck into the corner, and Petan got clobbered by Max Iafrate to collect and win the puck battle. Lipon’s response was to spear Iafrate in the mouth and then fight him on the basis of understanding who Petan is just 17 minutes into the game.

Far from just pugilism, Lipon showed good puck skills and above average sense for offence. He was in the second tier of scorers, clearly, but pushed the puck in the right direction, tracked well on the backcheck, and played his role to a T. He even won the faceoff that led to Morrissey’s goal on the powerplay.

Too many penalties resulted from a style slightly outside the bounds of a friendly tournament, but by the end of the game, he actually scared some Sharks into playing differently.”

27. jp says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Cool, maybe a bunch of teams missed the boat on him. We’ll know soon enough.

delooper: He’s only 30 years old and should have over ten million dollars tucked away by now.He could put himself through medical school without too much fuss.He certainly has the capital to front a start-up business on his own.He’s not in a bad situation at all…

No, he certainly isn’t in a bad situation. I think it’s pretty well documented though that pro athletes often have a difficult time adjusting to life outside of sports – even though they’re very well set up financially. Whitney has the added issue of having his career “taken” from him by injury. It doesn’t fully justify his comments, but I think his experience would have been difficult for anyone, even though in the big picture things really aren’t so bad.

28. BlacqueJacque says:

Like I said, I don’t really have sympathy for millionaires who play a game for a living, but … with the “lifestyle” expectations put on a hockey player etc. it’s easy to not save up enough. And afterwards, yes, you can start a business, but there’s no guarantee that business won’t fold in 5 years because you’re a guy who didn’t even really pass high school and relied on an agent his whole life for business advice.

29. "Steve Smith" says:

BlacqueJacque: Because what skills does a hockey player have?He can’t become a tradesman or a business manager or a banker or whatever.

I recently learned that Brad Werenka is practicing law in Calgary.

30. delooper says:

The future is in jellyfish, Ryan Whitney. The future… is JELLYFISH!

31. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Pretty much anyone can become a banker or lawyer.

It’s not like you actually have to be good at anything.

(See world wide financial meltdown for reference.)

32. delooper says:

And if only we had good doctors, there would be no more cancer! Hummm… 20 minutes to go.

I’m barbequing steaks, don’t let them start without me!

34. OilLeak says:

Nothing yet seems like they have heard your call.

35. Dead Cat Bounce says:

delooper:

The more doctors we have…the more cancer we have.

Curious.

36. DeadmanWaking says:

BlacqueJacque: with the “lifestyle” expectations put on a hockey player etc. it’s easy to not save up enough.

If our professional athletic heroes are made of the right stuff, they find a way to move on with a new chapter–excepting those whose heads are full of mush by the time they retire, a group which includes knuckle-draggers, running backs, and offensive linemen. For this group: ask not for whom the bell tolls.

For the group of entitled preeners who succumb to “lifestyle expectations” and save none of their genetic windfall for a rainy day, I’ll personally chip in on a VHS transfer of The Pat Tillman Story to circulate among them. For Pat Tillman a bad day at the office amounted to returning home in a box. And then it got worse. Anyone who pisses on good fortune because their ego obscures their Action Jackson is no hero of mine. Either grow up, or face the music.

You can find any number of former winners of American Idol on YouTube talking about hard landings a year after their second album. You’re the fizz for fifteen minutes and then fade to black.

He who lives in a bubble had best strap on the finest parachute money can buy.

37. delooper says:

It’s on! Still in warm-up. National anthem now. Those Oiler rookies look gargantuan.

38. Lucinius says:

This youtube based feed is horrendously heavy on the stuttering.

Petan. Beautiful.

40. MrDooman says:

Where can I watch it?

41. wheatnoil says:

Schaber & Leach are the goats on that one.

42. speeds says:

Dead Cat Bounce:

I hadn’t read that review yet, thanks for that. Quite the review of Petan:

“#38 Nic Petan: Not only my first start of the game, but my pick for best individual performance of the tournament so far. Petan showed singular puck support and awareness without the puck. Moreover, with the puck he controlled the Sharks’ 5-man unit and distributed expertly from the middle. His anticipation appeared elite in this game. He was often two events ahead of the play and one event ahead of the other players. His pucks skills were edge-of-your-seat good, and his awareness for his linemates exceptional. His shot has a quick release with a variety of release points, and his skating is plus or elite in this tournament. I’ve read accounts of his assist in which he is claimed to have tried to tuck the puck fruitlessly into the empty cage, but in fact it was an obvious pass between goalie and post with a curler’s weight to slow at the top of the crease. He rarely made a wrong read in defensive coverage and swung low to support his defencemen on the breakout. Apart from overhandling into the corner on an empty net attempt, Petan was dangerous every time he touched the puck. A truly memorable debut for the 18 year old.”

43. wheatnoil says:

MrDooman,

That year of pro looks just as good on Davidson as it did on Marincin.

44. Young Oil says:

Bad play by Marincin on that goal…

45. Lucinius says:

Well, I’m done. Can’t stand youtube these days; horrible streaming, regardless of the quality settings. Wish the site would die so some of the better alternatives out there could flourish.

46. Kris11 says:

Schaber bad.

Marincin doesn’t care.

47. wheatnoil says:

Young Oil:
    Bad play by Marincin on that goal…

He got beat wide, but he’s so tall that he actually used his reach to keep the Jets player from cutting to the inside. That reach will allow him to make up for mistakes 9 times out of 10. Not this time though.

48. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lucinius:

Perfect quality here.

49. wheatnoil says:

Good pressure by Miller and Khaira.

50. Kris11 says:

Khaira isn’t a great skater, but he looks like he has that heavy frame that will allow him to cycle the puck at the NHL level in a year or two.

51. DenverOilFan says:

Is Gernat playing forward? If not, he should be. I think I’ve read you guys talking about a big D moving up.

52. wheatnoil says:

The Oilers forwards are terrible. There’s been a couple instances of Oiler D-men getting the puck deep in the D-zone but having no outlet pass or anything close to an outlet pass to break out of the D-zone.

53. Kris11 says:

Oiler forwards need to work on passing.

54. Kris11 says:

That is on Klefbom running all over, no?

55. oilinthepeg says:

7-1 Looking like a bit of a conservative estimate, LT…

56. 719 says:

Trueba gets himself out of Trueble – Principle please announce more!

57. RexLibris says:

Did MacTavish institute a mandatory 3-goal handicap for the first period of each game?

Just wondering if maybe I missed the memo.

58. OilLeak says:

I think 10 for the Jets is very doable, the 1st period was a massacre.

59. striatic says:

maybe i’m the only one who thinks the Oilers are playing much better than last game, despite the score?

it is possible the Jets’ rookies aren’t as good as the Flames’ though.

60. wheatnoil says:

The Oilers looked best when Gernat, Marincin, or Klefbom were carrying the puck past the red-line (I think it happened 3 times).

61. OilLeak says:

striatic,

I think the Jets were getting cute at times, they’re holding back.

62. striatic says:

so how about Petan [could have had him] versus Roy and Yakimov?

how far ahead is Petan compared to Roy, based on this one game?

63. RexLibris says:

Darn, I was hoping for “S”eltic Thunder. That’d be awesome!

64. RexLibris says:

You know who would look good on the ice right now? Rieder. I wonder what he’s up to right now?….

*sigh*

65. delooper says:

Players don’t seem to have great awareness of where the puck is on the ice. I couldn’t tell if Ewanyk saw that pass coming or not.

66. delooper says:

Oilers just had a decent shift! Offensive zone pressure.

67. RexLibris says:

Better decisions here. Passes to the point, nothing suicidal, and patience to open up the lanes.

68. DenverOilFan says:

Nice fight!

69. Kris11 says:

That was the greatest moment in the life of Bilkie.

70. RexLibris says:

This feels like the Oilers’ games of 2003 when it was 60 minutes of a bunch of 3rd liners trying to will a puck into the net.

71. Bushed says:

Someone please tell Jack Michaels (and Principe) to save the ten-minute stories for the intermissions and just call the freakin’ game!

72. DenverOilFan says:

How about a mercy pull?

73. delooper says:

I think this game is headed to the gutter.

74. RexLibris says:

There you go, LT.

Do they kick the convert or go for a 2-point?

75. RexLibris says:

Speaking of Winnipeg. I don’t know if anyone has seen this, but it is a pretty nice shot at the Bombers from Premier Brad Wall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9BtK4o5GzY

76. wheatnoil says:

I wonder if the Oilers outcome at this tournament will affect the make-up of the rookie camp roster next year. I mean, the Oilers could have brought Pitlick, Hamilton, and Martindale for more pro experience. There’s a 25-NHL game limit, so they couldn’t bring Lander. They could have brought Olivier Roy.

Obviously, losing the games doesn’t matter, but I’m not sure getting completely destroyed helps the evaluation process either.

77. RexLibris says:

Nelson is going to go back to Oklahoma and look at his roster and think that he’s loaded with offense compared to this group.

78. OilLeak says:

RexLibris,

Good news for Pitlick in OKC this season, he’ll be the best goal scoring option on wing…

79. RexLibris says:

wheatnoil,

I was thinking the same thing. Evaluation has its place, but you still have to give the coach, and the rest of the players, someone to rally around.

80. RexLibris says:

OilLeak,

Best = Only ?

81. OilLeak says:

RexLibris,

If having all these crappy players in OKC means that Pitlick finally emerges as a player that’s kind of a good thing I guess.

82. RexLibris says:

I’m taking a break from the game to cheer myself up by watching MST 3000 Samson vs the Vampire Women.

It’s working.

83. RexLibris says:

OilLeak,

That’s kind of like the Flames’ strategy of making their prospects look promising by icing an incredibly awful team.

Shoot, let’s try it and see if it works.

84. OilLeak says:

Oh God that was truly an awful display by the baby Oilers.

not enough talent

86. RexLibris says:

But they did score high on the gritchart. Maybe we can trade Kessy to Burke for two 1sts and a 2nd?

87. Numenius says:

Didn’t get to see the game and just got caught up now.

Wow, LT, you were prescient. What a massacre.

Any positives to report? I noticed Platzer got a goal and was +1.

88. Numenius says:

striatic:
    so how about Petan [could have had him] versus Roy and Yakimov?

how far ahead is Petan compared to Roy, based on this one game?

The only way we could have had Petan was by using the early 2nd round pick instead of trading it away. He was gone by the Roy pick.

It’ll be five years before we can evaluate that one fully. Will Petan be superior to some combination of Yakimov, Slepyshev, Houck, Platzer, and Muir? Hard to say now. He’s pretty damn good though.

89. denny33 says:

striatic,

Deep, deep deep draft…..

All Pétan did was light the W up like a Christmas tree…not like Moroz or Ewanyk…

Goalie for the jets did not look too bad…..

Will the oilers be invited back to this tournament?

Not sure what Calgary or Winnipeg got out of playing this group of oiler forwards.

90. Bruce McCurdy says:

denny33: Will the oilers be invited back to this tournament?

Of course. Everybody loves a patsy.

91. Reg Dunlop says:

At what point can we eliminate the epithet ‘magnificent’ from MBS? I would guess right now.

92. "Steve Smith" says:

Reg Dunlop:
    At what point can we eliminate theepithet ‘magnificent’ from MBS? I would guess right now.

Roy: second round pick, 2013
    Ewanyk: third round pick, 2011
    Khaira: third round pick, 2012
    Houck: fourth round pick, 2013
    Platzer: fourth round pick, 2013
    Chase: seventh round pick, 2013
    Miller: not drafted by the Oilers
    Kessy: not drafted by the Oilers
    Bilcke: not drafted by the Oilers
    Schaber: not drafted by the Oilers
    Baddock: not drafted by the Oilers
    Fyten: not drafted by the Oilers

Fully half of these bums weren’t even Oilers’ picks. Of those that were, only one was drafted higher than the third round, and two thirds of them (including the lone second rounder) were just drafted in 2013. I’m not sure this is a daming indictment of the Oilers’ draft record.

93. Young Oil says:

To be fair, the forward lineup (except Roy and maybe Miller) all project to be bottom 6 forwards. The Oilers already (theoretically) have enough top 6 skill to last a decade, and just need to fill in the missing pieces. In this tournament, they’re not playing 3-4 players who are going to be on the NHL roster to start the year, unlike CGY or WPG. If they put their top picks from the past few years into the lineup (RNH, Yakupov, Slepyshev, Yakimov, Zharkov and Moroz), they would definitely have enough skill to win the games.

While it is slightly concerning how many goals are being let in, young players usually take a bit to mature defensively, and that will come with time. The best defence is a good offense, and with a more balanced forward lineup, more time would have been spent in the other team’s end, which would have exploited weaknesses in the other team’s defence.

There were actually many positives from this game I thought. Almost all of the forwards were very physical, and in doing so agitated the other team, causing them to take a multitude of penalties. However, they were unable to take advantage of them, due to the lack of offensive talent in the forward group, which again is to be expected when the majority of skilled Oiler prospects were not playing.

All in all, I thought lots of forwards that weren’t camp invites had quality games. Khaira, Kessy, and Chase were all physical, agitated the other team, and drew penalties. Ewanyk was constantly putting his body on the line to block shots, even when they were down 6-1. These are all things that the Oilers desperately need in the bottom 6. Roy showed some very good offensive instincts I thought, and would have benefited from having more skilled players to pass to/take a pass from.

All that being said, the #1 priority now is to draft a goalie in the first two rounds. Comrie looked very solid, even with a lack of quality scoring chances, and though I agree with all the choices made in the 2013 draft, next year we need a quality goaltending prospect that we can have some confidence in.

94. "Steve Smith" says:

"Steve Smith": Well, let’s be fair, and look at the provenance of tronight’s deservedly maligned forward group:

…and for anybody wondering, “tronight” means exactly what I think it means.