CAMPING

The Edmonton Oilers will release their training camp list sometime today, and along with the physicals this will make the beginning of hundreds of Oiler-related stories over the next 6 months. Some of these young men will arrive in the best shape of their lives, and others may have picked up an injury along the way. So far we know:

• The Nuge will get a new prognosis, which may or may not inspire the arrival of a Smithson.
  • Anton Belov is having some paperwork difficulty, and that is delaying his arrival.

azorcan

The training camp list is probably going to come in at 62-68 names depending on who gets invited on a PTO (they may invite no one) and how many of these rookies they send out right away. I believe a youngster like Greg Chase has earned the week in big camp, but we’ll see how it goes. Organizations usually like to have an equal number of everything so no one is standing around, but we’ll see. It’ll also be interesting to see if there’s a goalie added to the group.

Gone from the scene are Shawn Horcoff, Magnus Paajaarvi, Theo Peckham and Nikolai Khabibulin. In for sure are Andrew Ference, Boyd Gordon, Jason LaBarbera and after that there’s a dizzying number of new possibilities (Belov, Grebeshkov, Joensuu, Acton, Ryan Hamilton, etc).

The biggest addition this summer? Dallas Eakins. There are a mountain of questions about him, he’s coming in with a lot of reputation and has not yet met all the players and received their buy-in (you can say it doesn’t matter but tell that to Tom Runnells). However, he also has a reputation of turning out players who are better after him than before, and a long list of players with very nice things to say (two soldiers signed up over the summer from the Marlies). I think this is a solid hire, but thought Ralph was too. I think it’s probably wise to take a guarded stance and  a watchful eye–this is a big thing here, overcoming many years of  futility.

OPPORTUNITY

bl1

During the MacT coaching era, there were forwards who made the club, made themselves useful in defined roles, who were not the obvious hires. I’d include Zack Stortini, Patrick Thoresen, Liam Reddox, Kyle Brodziak and even Fernando Pisani in that list, while the list of first rounders who were not rewarded is best represented by Rob Schremp. MacT didn’t much care for draft pedigree, and if Eakins is the same that will be good news for any number of kids trying to rise above the rest.

Remember the year Brodziak came in and turned heads? He was faster, worked hard from day one of training camp? Maybe that kind of success can be reached by a current farmhand, and maybe that process begins today. If Mark Arcobello wins a spot on the opening night lineup, would that be similar to Brodziak’s 2007 fall camp? I believe it would.

PRESSURE

bl2

At some point the Oilers are going to make a decision on a few returnees. Ryan Smyth, Ryan Jones, Corey Potter, Ben Eager, Mike Brown, Anton Lander and then farther up the food chain to Nick Schultz and even Ales Hemsky and Devan Dubnyk. There’s been a regime change, MacT and Eakins have no loyalty to Anton Lander beyond what he can do on the ice to help them win.

If you’re going to flush people, now is the time to do it. Dallas Eakins has no bond with any of these men, so he can make decisions solely on performance. It’s a great place for the coach to be, a tough one for the players. That should mean a good opening night roster, and we should be ready for some surprises.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

BL3We’re back and it’s a big day, with training camp rosters released and the real nuts and bolts of the organization arriving for the long winter ahead. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey.  We’ll talk rookie camp, the Oilers roster and what it might look like, and the possible impact of the Nuge injury on the early part of the season.
  • Sean Bissell, Campus Director of Donnan Hockey. We’ll have our ask the coach feature and focus on the best way to develop younger players.
  • Rob Soria from Oil Drop will pop in to discuss Oiler camp, the Hall at center idea (what if he’s good and they keep him there?) and some tennis too.
  • Jeff Krushell from Krush Health. Jeff’s back and we’ll talk baseball, US Open and more.

Lowetide_ on twitter or 10-1260 via text. Hope you can tune in!

bailey

These many years later there isn’t much to be said that hasn’t been said already, except we remember you and will never forget. Rest in peace.

133 Responses to "CAMPING"

1. theres oil in virginia says:

My biggest takeaway from Week 1 of the NFL is the overall sloppiness of most teams. It’s the first time that some of these offensive and defensive units have been on the field together for more than a few plays and it showed.
    I can’t believe that it’s almost Sept 15, and NHL teams are just now getting together. I wonder how much sloppiness we’ll see early in the NHL season.

2. supernova says:

Ahh remember Kyle Brodziak.

I remember watching him play for the Road Runners, I went to watch other players and my eyes kept migrating to Brodziak. He didnt score a ton but I was sure there was a NHL player there. And sure enough a couple years later there was.

My gut tells me this years Brodziak is Acton. He has a leg up on everyone with his familiarity with Coach Eakins.

3. supernova says:

theres oil in virginia:
    My biggest takeaway from Week 1 of the NFL is the overall sloppiness of most teams.It’s the first time that some of these offensive and defensive units have been on the field together for more than a few plays and it showed.
    I can’t believe that it’s almost Sept 15, and NHL teams are just now getting together.I wonder how much sloppiness we’ll see early in the NHL season.

theres oil in virginia,

Are you a redskins fan?

I am a huge NFL fan, (big packers fan) one of the things that makes NFL messy early is the absence of tackling in training camps.

NFL does so many things right, there biggest error is no minor league.

4. theres oil in virginia says:

supernova: theres oil in virginia,
    Are you a redskins fan?

No, but there’s no better example of week 1 sloppiness than the Skins! The Giants are in a similar boat.

I try to limit my fandom to the Oilers. I watch other sports, but I don’t really attach to any single team. My loose allegiances wander from year to year. I like to watch teams on the upswing, but once they get good I find myself not liking them as much.

5. Diesel says:

WHEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

FINALLY!!!!!

Haha. Seriously though. No thoughtful insight or James Joyce here… just pure excitement and anticipation.

I’m looking forward to:

-Watching Yak grow into a superstar,complete with Rocket Skates and Rocket Stick
    -Seeing how Belov plays *shakes fist at Oilers HQ for not clearing up his visa in time*
    -Seeing if Grebs is still Grebs
    -Seeing how Eakins uses Hemsky and Seamus O’Mark
    -How the team plays the new “swarm” defence in the Dzone
    -If I can identify the difference in neutral zone play
    -Seeing 3 pairs of Dmen and knowing that at least 5 of them can make the right pass under pressure
    -Seeing the Oilers possess the puck more than the other team and the change in tactics that work to achieve this
    -Watching the Oilers beating the ever-loving piss out of Calgary.

Go Oilers!!

*clap, clap*

7. thejonrmcleod says:

supernova,

You’re a huge NFL fan? I wish I was a smaller NFL fan. I could stand to lose a few pounds.

Rishaug reports:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 9m

I wonder how his interactions with Jones will go?

Tychkowski is not impressed:

Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 6m

Ha!

Love it!

9. thejonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

Is it common practice in professional sports for teams to give free food to media members?

thejonrmcleod:
    Woodguy,

Yes,there is always a food table for the media.

11. supernova says:

thejonrmcleod:
    supernova,

thejonrmcleod,

Well I could stand to lose a few pounds as well.

Massive doesn’t sound any better.

I do “love” the Packers and the Oilers.

12. Jesse says:

Woodguy: Rishaug reports:Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 9mMandated by the head coach.. Media food is veggies and fruit. Usually donuts and coffee. pic.twitter.com/fcMphV5uDOI love that Eakins is trying to get everyone in shape, while trolling the media at the same time.I wonder how his interactions with Jones will go?Tychkowski is not impressed:Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 6mI don’t care what kind of shape an NHL coach is in. Ken Hitchcock never ran a triathlon in his life and his teams do OKHa!Love it!

Funny how cranky some media members get when they don’t get their donuts.

13. supernova says:

Jesse: Funny how cranky some media members get when they don’t get their donuts.

Jesse,

“donut gate” is the main topic after a summer away from hockey.

14. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy:
    I’m looking forward to:

I’m not sure we have to blame ALL the ills of this world on the Oilers staff.

15. dawgtoy says:

Looks like 62 in camp, if you trust my adding. Happy to see Chase on the list.

I’m not sure we have to blame ALL the ills of this world on the Oilers staff.

Perhaps not, but history has shown that when there is a snafu he’s involved often.

The Oilers signed Belov on May 29th.

I can’t shake the belief that someone didn’t get on the visa right away and here we are.

The list I posted yesterday was 63, the list is 62. I think everyone but Lizon was invited to camp.

18. Hammers says:

Hopefully Eakins isn’t paranoid over his beliefs in fitness . Fine for players but beyond that his waisting his time . What we want to see ; Hall at “C” , Yaks enthusiasm , Gags faceoffs, Ference’s calmness , Dubnyks attitude (no new contract offer) , Hemsky & Smyth showing the way . Most important is how Eakins molds this team . His swarming “D” , His “D” pairs , Does he really believe in forward pairs , filling last spot on a line , and how he responds after a loosin streak.

19. jake70 says:

I’m not sure we have to blame ALL the ills of this world on the Oilers staff.

One of the better Wildcats, Ivan Barbashev, is only getting into Moncton today, has missed about 8 games so far. Was having VISA issues as well. There is an ongoing Canadian Government Foreign Service strike from what I understand.

20. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy: After watching Rick Olczyk make very basic mistakes in his job for years its hard not to think he contributed to this.

A bias, however justified it may seem, is still a bias.

Hopefully the team starts winning this year and a lot of this cynicism will dissipate as a result.

21. Numenius says:

I wonder if Belov’s visa difficulties have anything to do with that failed drug test last year.

Bag of Pucks: A bias, however justified it may seem, is still a bias.

I am, and have written about , very hopeful I am for the new GM, new coach and new players.

Cynicism will dissipate when they stop giving me things to be cynical about.

I had season tickets from 07-12, there is a hard calcified crust over my cynicism that might take a while to break.

I also give credit where its due and MacT and Eakins will re-new the organization very quickly.

I expect playoffs.

How’s that for cynicism?

23. russ99 says:

I know it’s different on the ice, but during that season ticket surprise delivery video, Yak and Justin Schultz look a little more filled out that last season, RNH not as much.

Numenius:

Why would the use of stimulants delay a visa?

Its not like he broke a law.

25. supernova says:

Woodguy: Why would the use of stimulants delay a visa?

Its not like he broke a law.

Woodguy,

could you elaborate on what Rick O’s mistakes have been?

Not sure how you can pin Visa issues on him, as there are a number of factors in these.

26. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh man I just saw that Kadri contract.

Holy crap the Leafs overpaid. It’s about as bad as the Eberle overpay, about one and a half million too high.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m curious to know how I should interpret a thin, puff piece that manages to repeatedly misspell the subject’s name?

28. uni says:

Woodguy: Why would the use of stimulants delay a visa?
    Its not like he broke a law.

To expand on that, it was found to be a false positive and he was officially cleared and not sanctioned. I don’t know why people keep bringing this up as an issue.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

supernova: Woodguy,

could you elaborate on what Rick O’s mistakes have been?

“RICKY OLCZYK
    ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER & DIRECTOR OF HOCKEY OPERATIONS/LEGAL AFFAIRS”

Here’s a primer on RO’s past deeds.

He doesn’t get the benefit of doubt. When you fuck up badly in your area of expertise and without a trace of humility… you don’t get the benefit of doubt.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

uni: To expand on that, it was found to be a false positive and he was officially cleared and not sanctioned.I don’t know why people keep bringing this up as an issue.

because customs officials have a tendency to rely upon out-dated, erroneous information and act capriciously?

31. wheatnoil says:

I know nothing about the specifics of a Russian acquiring a visa to work in Canada / US. However, I do have friends / family from other countries who have acquired visas to visit or work in Canada / US and sometimes the bureaucracy can be a huge pain. Hold-ups upon hold-ups, months going by with no response only to be asked to resend everything. Visa hold-ups are not uncommon. This MAY be a problem from the Oilers end, it MAY be a problem from Belov’s, and it may be a bureaucracy problem or all of the above.

It sounds like Grebeshkov did not have a similar issue and other players that the Oilers have acquired from overseas (e.g. Petrell, Omark) have not had similar visa-specific issues either. However, if memory serves me (and I may very well be remembering incorrectly), didn’t Slepyshev have a visa problem which prevented him from attending development camp? (excusable given how soon it was after the draft)

32. LMHF#1 says:

Hammers:
    Hopefully Eakins isn’t paranoid over his beliefs in fitness . Fine for players but beyond that his waisting his time.

Even with the players you have to be careful. Have all the info and trainers and nutritionists and food you want, but everyone’s stomach is a little different and messing with pre-game can be a very bad idea.

Also – was the waisting intentional? If so, well done.

33. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

I like Eakins but like his time with Toronto – he will not be liked by some of the players – you can take it to the bank.

I worry about a few players not being used to held to strict account for their play…

I worry about Sam Gagner, maybe Taylor Hall along with WG’s Hemsk and Omark….

I will be very curious to see how Sam Gagner interacts with Eakins …

34. LMHF#1 says:

denny33:
    Woodguy,

I will be very curious to see how Sam Gagner interacts with Eakins …

Gagner was described as one of the fittest guys in the entire league at his first camp. He’s also been flexible in terms of the role the coach can ask him to play. They should be fine.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

denny33:
    Woodguy,

I like Eakins but like his time with Toronto– he will not be liked by some of the players – you can take it to the bank.

I worry about Sam Gagner, maybe Taylor Hall along with WG’s Hemsk and Omark….

I will be very curious to see how Sam Gagner interacts with Eakins …

Looks like they are getting along fine

36. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Well… Ricky O’s job is to sort out this stuff. So, if something goes wrong, even if it is out of his hands or someone he delegated to do something fucks up… it’s still on him. That’s what being in charge of something means.

“RICKY OLCZYK
    ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER & DIRECTOR OF HOCKEY OPERATIONS/LEGAL AFFAIRS”

Here’s a primer on RO’s past deeds.

LMHF#1,

Woodguy,

I am seriously not trying to get Olyck’s back here, but aside from the Harti snafu I don’t see how any of these incidences are directly Rick O’s issue. (they probably received the Heatley contract directly from Ottawa, and we have enough evidence to Fault Ottawa in dealings with them)

I agree that if this is your area of expertise you are responsible but when it comes to Visa’s and transfers you are also dealing with a country that is known not to be fond of losing players (in the case of Belov) to the NHL and we do know that he was one of the best defenceman there last year.

It is just as likely if not more likely that KHL officials had as much to do with a Visa delay as Rick O did.

If you want to get cynical lets get cynical but in My opinion the Oilers legal department has shown alot less issues then alot of other teams.

Calgary RFA offer of O’rielly
    Toronto using its cap space in the trade with the Kings for Bernier.
    Chicago and its RFA snafu under Tallon.

I could keep going but the Oilers legal issues have been far less than alot of other teams.

Could they be improved? I am sure they can but this feels like “Pissing into the Wind.”

I agree with Woodguy on a number of things but not on this…

37. stevezie says:

Donuts are the most overrated food in Canada. Look fine, but don’t taste good. I would much, much rather have a kiwi. Taste sensations. Get me a press pass.

Everything I read about Eakins in Toronto had him adored by his players. I understand no one is universally loved, but I’m not worried about how the room responds.

38. denny33 says:

Reasons for Cynacism for the “new” Regime:

- Craig McTavish tried to MASSIVELy overpay for David Clarkson a few months ago. ( Scary )

- Not 100% certain trading down in this particular draft was ideal / Worry about who we left on the table.

- Making speeches about how Bold and Decisive moves are going to be made did the organization no favours.

Finally, Kevin Lowe, Howson and McTavish…..not exactly a Fresh new group to erase cynacism.

39. russ99 says:

denny33,

Still, as a bridge regime to the eventual “Cup compete” regime when the new arena opens in September 2016 (I’m in on that conspiracy theory until Katz proves otherwise), MacT has done fairly well so far.

I’m not sure we have to blame ALL the ills of this world on the Oilers staff.

Canadian foreign service workers have been on work slowdown and/or striking over pay disparity with other (they claim) similar government workers.

Still, this has been known and going on for a long time (the dispute is over a year old), so the Oilers should still be accountable for not being on top of this.

41. Zipdot says:

godot10: Bag of Pucks: As someone’s who had to wade through the pain of international visa applications on more than one occasion, my experience is it’s usually the bureacrats to blame and not the applicants.

I’m not sure we have to blame ALL the ills of this world on the Oilers staff.

Doesn’t Canada have an expedited service for a fee, like most other countries do? Including the USA? Well, most other “non-bribery-based” countries…

42. Ribs says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Looks like they are getting along fine

Gagner is the player I would think would have the least problem with the new coach.

Quinn put him on the 4th line, and Renney tried to run him off the team, and Gagner just smiled over his gritted teeth, and pushed back on the ice.

Gagner may have ordinary physical tools, but there is pretty much no one who works harder and complains less.

If Eakins is a talker, he may be better for Gagner than the coaches who hated him. I hope Eakins talks Gagner’s ears off about how to play the centre position defensively. That would be much more useful to Gagner than what Quinn and Renney tried to do.

44. B S says:

godot10,

But the wait has grown from 30 days to 90 days over the summer. People can blame Oilers staff all they want, it doesn’t change the fact that there was no way to counter this issue other than constantly harassing the embassy.

45. supernova says:

B S:
    godot10,

B S,

agree with this whole heartedly

46. bookje says:

Is it just me or is the advertising becoming *Be sure to attend Hyundi’s 30th year anniversary event this Saturday!!* increasingly intrusive on the **Dorito’s only $1.99 a bag at your local store** website lately?

47. bookje says:

48. Zipdot says:

bookje: By the way LT – I kid – I could care less if you pummel us with ads, I don’t pay a dime for this and hope that you get a decent amount of cash from the ads. I would gladly donate if you set up a donate button at some point in the future.

Lowetide gets paid fat! Big bucks. No lie.

49. delooper says:

I prefer the ads. I’d be too lazy to donate. And I’d be like “hmm, why isn’t Lowetide donating to meeee! for all my insights!?!?”

Besides, the ads when I was in Japan were really kind of cute. It’s curious how they’re address-sensitive like that.

50. bookje says:

Zipdot: Lowetide gets paid fat!Big bucks.No lie.

51. supernova says:

Further to immigration issues;

Apparently Oliver Ekman Larson is also having issues and the coyotes are blaming the player

52. striatic says:

Ribs: And here’s some video of Captain Gags and Coach Short Shorts as well…. http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1000776

that video is just great, what with Eakins sweating and sucking wind through the process. maybe Ference out-fitnessed Mister Fitness, but it sends a great message to the team if the Coach demonstrates the same commitment that he asks of his players.

i also like the light message sent to the media via the healthy snacks, even if it wasn’t intended to send one.

bookje:

I the the ads that are displayed are reader-dependent. If you get lousy ads, it is your fault for browsing lousy places on the web.

The ads I get seem to reflect reader tracking.

54. delooper says:

Right now I’m getting ads about single philipinos in my area, and the Highland Pacific Golf Course in Victoria. At least it thinks I’m male now. It used to think I was female.

55. Profit says:

I have experience with the Foreign Affairs service and I don’t think we can pin this (fully) on the Oilers. The whole system is a mess right now:

Tourist visas are getting priority, which has only changed since July.

56. Bag of Pucks says:

In Canada, I would imagine holding up a high profile player (or two) at the border is a highly effective tactic for bringing added attention to your strike plight du jour.

Maybe Grebs got through by entering a different title in the occupation field. Pylon? Yakupov playmate?

57. Bag of Pucks says:

Delooper, you know those ads are targeted based on your search behavior right? ; )

58. DeadmanWaking says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

“I think we’re all fed up,” said the player quoted by the journalist who shares the record for most gratuitous factoids (three) tacked behind the word “said” in the course of making eleven attempts to remind the reader about whom he speaks (eight converted) in all of fifteen short paragraphs lest the reader’s mind somehow wander off while reading “Now, he’s eager to get back out on the ice with the goal of a playoff spot front and centre in his mind.”

Who again? Oh, yeah. The journalist.

It’s never fun to be served a whole roast piglet by a writer like this who just can’t stop at one decorative apple while there’s any place remaining another decorative apple could go.

59. delooper says:

Bag of Pucks:

They’re also based on location. The ads I get when I’m in Germany, Italy and Japan are all totally different from each other and the ads I get in Canada. In Japan I think I was getting ball-bearing commercials or something like that. In Germany the ads were all about cars and soccer.

60. bookje says:

The ad in the middle on the World Juniors is not part of the targeted ad system. The behaviour based ads are funny. I once bought some batteries though Amazon and for two weeks, I got battery ads.

61. bookje says:

Back on topic – I am thrilled to see camp starting – there is lots of newness this year (other than a new 1st overall pick) to be interested in. Here’s to hopeing the new coach and GM have the golden touch.

62. denny33 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yeah….I was not really expecting a fist fight between coach and player before training camp.

63. denny33 says:

godot10,

I agree with that….

I just think it will be really good or really bad.

Eakins is either going to correct that or he is going to be enraged by it.

64. rickithebear says:

Denny:
    #37 for #57, #88 Slepyshev, #96 Platzer
    #57 for #83 Yakimov, #94 Houck, #113 Muir.
    I am ok with that!

i tought top 5 PK center was about defensive zone play ;)

65. MrDooman says:

delooper: They’re also based on location.The ads I get when I’m in Germany, Italy and Japan are all totally different from each other and the ads I get in Canada. In Japan I think I was getting ball-bearing commercials or something like that.In Germany the ads were all about cars and soccer.

66. FastOil says:

67. Zipdot says:

bookje: I hear he is planning on building the Family Travel Box out of teak with a gold lock!

Bwahahahaha!! FTB 4EVER

68. Zipdot says:

delooper: Bag of Pucks:

Loops, if you got ads for balls… And they are based on your search behaviour… Hmmm. :)

69. B S says:

My adds are for NOS energy drinks and Chili’s restaurant. I’ve never had or searched for an energy drink, and I haven’t looked for a place to eat out in months. I also moved to the US last month.

70. Zipdot says:

denny33: My take, I think there is a disccnnect between Sam’s effort in the offensive zone versus the defensive zone.

Eakins is either going to correct that or he is going to be enraged by it.

I picture Eakins as being stern, but remember: he’s unflappable. So becoming enraged might not be part of his toolbox. He did say, though, that he’d take away ice time for people who aren’t willing to put in the work (presumably defensively). But that’s not Sam’s style. If he needs to work on his D-zone game, I think we can trust the man to do just that.

Team Gagner for Captain

71. delooper says:

supernova: Woodguy,

could you elaborate on what Rick O’s mistakes have been?

He had the wrong conclusion Brule’s waiver situation.

He screwed up PRV’s situation when they had to send him down right after they brought him up (I think someone came off IR)

He was in charge of college free agents for 3 years and the Oilers signed 0 college free agents.

Underwhelming to say the least.

73. commonfan14 says:

FastOil: So what are the chances of Petry and a first and say 20 million Rexal bucks for cash strapped St Louis’ young cheeky hold out Pietrangelo?

Not that it would be on the table, but we’d have to somehow dump Hemsky to even make that work in theory.

Unless of course we acquired his rights and then just forced him to sit out until he accepted a trendy bridge contract. That whole sequence of events would certainly be worth a post or two.

denny33:
    Woodguy,

I worry about Sam Gagner, maybe Taylor Hall along with WG’s Hemsk and Omark….

I will be very curious to see how Sam Gagner interacts with Eakins …

I’m thrilled that Eakins will hold guys accountable.

Listening to all the player interviews today driving around a common theme among the players is that they welcome some accountability.

If some players have to grow up a bit, so be it, it will lead to winning.

A few players (like Jones) mentioned that some of the guys who are not back were the worst offenders.

I took that to mean Blanger and Whitney….maybe Horcoff but he had a great year when healthy so I doubt it.

75. commonfan14 says:

And since somebody brought up bridge contracts (it was me, but still), it’ll be interesting to see how MacT chooses to handle the Nuge, Schultz and Yak second contracts now that there’s a new type of precedent.

Although it seems like a lock that there’d be offer sheets coming from Calgary, followed by barn fights.

76. Kris11 says:

commonfan14,

” coming from Calgary, followed by barn fights.”

There was the Thrilla in Manila and the Rumble in the Jungle.

Now, we have the Heart Attacks in the Hay Stacks.

77. OilClog says:

Woodguy: I’m thrilled that Eakins will hold guys accountable.

If some players have to grow up a bit, so be it, it will lead to winning.

Eakins is something completely different then all the coaches after MacT.

Quinn was never a good hire, one I never endorsed, the NHL game moved forward and he stayed seated.

Renney, did anyone ever really believe in Renney? He never had real NHL success, as a coach, when he had talent, so I never bought into him, personally.

Kruger was a gamble for 48 games.. didn’t work.

Eakins, this is different. This is a coach with a mission, win. Players don’t need to like him, they need to respect and play hard until the end, if they want to keep playing. This has been overdue for years.. Tanking has really screwed with us fans!

If Eakins can get these guys winning, I don’t think you’ll hear of any players complaining about playing for him. Winning solves everything. Is Quenneville everyone’s best bud?

Edmonton now has one of the scariest looking head coaches in the league! This is Thrilling!

78. OilClog says:

Sidenote.. How long does banishment last on Oilersnation? I mean, RB’s banning is a tid bit ridiculous. He admits to not even being a fan, then wonders why people have hostilities towards his always negative view of the team, Oiler fans Die Hard for.. I won’t even bother reading his blogs anymore, but man! I do enjoy the Nation. I just got my stickers too, I was gonna put them on my truck, but.. I love my truck. She keeps on going and going, never leaving banned from turning her key.. Do I dare disgrace my rear cab window with my dirty lover that has banned me.. I just don’t know anymore.

79. OilClog says:

for sure I would slap a LoweTide sticker on my window.

80. russ99 says:

Wow, listening to Eakins presser gave me the willies. I was a big fan of Krueger, but jeez we’ve needed a coach like this for years.

Can’t wait to see what he can get out of these guys that other coaches couldn’t.

81. B S says:

russ99,

I don’t think you’ll see him get more out of Hall, Eberle or RNH than Krueger did (not to say they won’t improve, but that will be from experience). People forget that Krueger, for all his other coaching faults turned that first line into a killer. I expect Gagner to excel under Eakins though. Those two are like twins with the whole fitness and effort thing. Won’t be surprised if Gags is Captain by Christmas.

82. delooper says:

“2 minutes with Laddy Smid isn’t going to get a whole lot done.” Clearly Smid is a tough nut to crack with deeply-sunk long-term issues!

83. Colonel Obvious says:

Brownlee banned me at oilersnation as well. There is no way around the conclusion that he is a complete dick of a human being. It didn’t last forever. In the end it was a good thing because it cured me of the sickness of watching the trainwreck that is their comment section.

84. Zipdot says:

OilClog: Is Belanger possibly the worst Oiler ever??? He has to be up there I’m trying hard to think of worse.. I think his on ice and off ice performance combined, would have to say he is.

Shayne Corson gets my vote.

85. B S says:

86. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: -Seeing 3 pairs of Dmen on the ice without one pair making your sphincter tighten up until they get off the ice

Ha ha, ain’t that the truth.

I’m assuming that’s a typo and the “2″ is inverted?

87. sliderule says:

If Eakins is to succeed it will be by system play and total accountability by all players.

Donuts will have nothing to do with success or failure.

88. Zipdot says:

B S: I used to comment on ON, and I still read the articles, but the comment sections are nothing more than an exercise in aggravation.

I think they put up with that Quicksilver guy because as a troll, he brings people back to the site to argue with him, which drives up clicks and therefore ad revenue. But it takes a toll on the quality of the comments, obviously. It’s a hell hole over there.

89. Bruce McCurdy says:

sliderule: Donuts will have nothing to do with success or failure.

Unless it’s a “donut line” (no centre). That could be problematic.

90. Zipdot says:

Bruce McCurdy: Unless it’s a “donut line” (no centre). That could be problematic.

Or unless the team donut step up and meet the new coach’s expectations. ;)

91. sliderule says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Good point

92. cc says:

BlacqueJacque,

Why do you feel the Eberle contract is an over pay?

93. supernova says:

Woodguy: As Rom posted, that stuff is part of his job description, so when something goes wrong, look to whose job it is.

He had the wrong conclusion Brule’s waiver situation.

Underwhelming to say the least.

Woodguy,

I can agree with you on Brule’s status and the post on Harti but there are things we also don’t know the answer to like;

How do we know Tambo didn’t just make the move on PRV alone without consulting Rick O?

College Free agents are obviously a area that is key to the team, that’s why they hired a very astute talent assessor in Green? A failure to acquire free agents relies on a number of things, and it is bad upper management to have a contracts guy, trying to sell a Dekeyser type to join the most northern team in the league?

If I am a college free agent and a team sends me a recruiter that is their contracts guy I think the team is nuts not the recruiter.

94. Profit says:

I would suggest everyone give a listen to Hall’s audio on the Oilers’ site.

About half way through (~4 mins) someone asks about finishing top 10 in scoring, “should have been all-star”and what is the next step for his career?

Hall answers “I want to be in the playoffs” and then goes on and talks about how guys who are considered for all-star and Olympics have been in “pressure” situations and how he isn’t going to be respected as an elite player until they are in the playoffs.

I think this is a) excellent and b) scary. Excellent in that you can tell Hall is going to take the team on his back to make it happen but extremely scary in that if MacT and the braintrust don’t make the proper alterations mid-course (another C, potentially a top 9 winger) then there is a risk Hall says “I’ve had enough of this, I want out” which would be catastrophic.

Listening to Hall talk you can tell he reads everything online, was pissed at the all-star snub and likely also holds a Ruff grudge. I’m not worried about him… I’m worried about management.

For the record, I think they’ll sneak into 8th, but if they don’t… watch out.

95. G Money says:

B S: I don’t think you’ll see him get more out of Hall, Eberle or RNH than Krueger did (not to say they won’t improve, but that will be from experience). People forget that Krueger, for all his other coaching faults turned that first line into a killer.

The same bloggers and commentators that so ably dissected Krueger’s tactics also pointed out that one of the reasons the first line was so good is that they (Hall in particular) did not actually follow the system. I wish I could find the link for you but will have to hope that my subconscious dredges it up for me.

I think the first line will be markedly better this year, for no other reason than they will have 6 shoulders instead of 5.

96. BlacqueJacque says:

cc:
    BlacqueJacque,

Why do you feel the Eberle contract is an over pay?

He doesn’t drive the play. His shooting percentage went down and his moves have gotten a bit predictable I think. Two years older than Hall and the same contract and not the same performance.

I mean, do you put Eberle up with the likes of Tavares, Hall, Toews, Kane? IMO, no. If those are 5-star players, Eberle is a 4-star. He’s a step down, the way Hemsky was a step down from the likes of Hossa. Eberle is probably going to be a good first-line right winger (because he didn’t do so well against top opposition last year), he’s a very good second-line winger now. Like Kadri, he puts up points when he’s not up against the best.

Also, I realized Kadri’s contract is 2 years, $2.9M per year and not $5.8m per year, which a great deal for Toronto. That’s less than what he and Eberle are worth, but that’s something Tambellini should have gone for, because the cap won’t be going up $5m/season in this economy, especially with player revenue percentage down.

The Oilers have $1.3m in cap space right now and were one the worst teams in the league last season. Hemsky and Smyth are coming off the books, but Nuge has to be signed and then Yakupov the year after.

Every day I thank my lucky stars (and so should MacT) that Clarkson didn’t sign with us. Right now, I foresee the possibility of trading Eberle. If we had Clarkson, we would definitely be trading one of Yak or Eberle… and I hope it’s Eberle. Yakupov is going to be all-world. Top-3 right winger in the league for years. Eberle might break the top-5 for a couple of seasons. Solely from a financial perspective, Yakupov is going to deliver more and have a higher WORP and likely a higher VOR score – wins over replacement/value over replacement.

97. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque,

Important to remember that Eberle played through an injury or two last season, and still did well, over all.

Yes, I regard Eberle to be of the Tavares/Hall/Toews ilk. He’s a very special player, despite physical statistics.

Good point about Clarkson though – I wonder what MacT’s cap plan was if Clarkson chose the Oilers?

98. hunter1909 says:

Profit: if MacT and the braintrust don’t make the proper alterations mid-course (another C, potentially a top 9 winger) then there is a risk Hall says “I’ve had enough of this, I want out” which would be catastrophic.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

99. hunter1909 says:

BlacqueJacque,

Flames troll.

100. BlacqueJacque says:

justDOit:
    BlacqueJacque,

I have no idea. All I know is that I instantly lost any faith in MacT as GM when I heard that he was shocked that Clarkson accepted the already big overpay the Leafs gave him.

Just blatantly bad player evaluation, cap management, and absolutely zero looking forward to the future. IMO we dodged two big bullets on draft day – Clarkson and Schneider. Not because Schneider is a bad goalie, but because in the future we are going to need cheap replacement players on ELCs, players like Nurse, if we’re going to stay competitive.

As for Eberle, I could be wrong – I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again, which is the main reason why I don’t bring strong opinions to draft day, for example – but that’s my feeling right now. Eberle is a Hemsky-type player, not a Kane-type. Star, not a superstar.

101. hfairfield says:

Today on the team 1040 (they got rid of Scott Rintoul in the morning and now it is Bro Jake. What a joke of a ‘sports’ show. They ruined the best listening around). Anyhow, enough of my rant. They had Pat Quinn on. He said a few words about his time with the oilers. I’d say he has absolutely no love for the oilers (i’d guess KLowe specifically). Tells a story about a first round pick that came into camp out of shape. I’m guessing it was POS, but I’m not sure cuz I think he mixes talking about shrimp in the same story. Then he says that he was refused from being sent down since he was a first round pick. The link is here:
    It is about 10-15 minutes from the end. It is some interesting listening.

What are the groups thoughts on this?

102. russ99 says:

I picked up the “Official NHL Yearbook” magazine as I usually do this time of year, and they picked the Oilers 2nd – In the conference!

103. Henry says:

BlacqueJacque,

You know I think that Pat Kane is a fine hockey player. I also think that in two years time the Oilers are going to like Eberle more then Chicago likes Kane and his baggage.

104. BlacqueJacque says:

hfairfield,

He’s not talking about Schremp, who was waived and picked up by the Islanders the year prior. Not sure who he is referring to who didn’t get waived.

I’d say it’s sour grapes on Quinn’s part, but give the continued incompetence and slide into irrelevancy (outside draft coverage on TSN) the Oilers went through, I think it’s a fair enough assessment on his part.

105. Henry says:

BlacqueJacque,

You’re right about the pursuit of Schneider and especially Clarkson though. I’d like to think that Mac was keeping options open and dodging bullets, but it kinda looks like the mistake missed by luck and circumstance.

106. BlacqueJacque says:

Henry:
    BlacqueJacque,

You know I think that Pat Kane is a fine hockey player.I also think that in two years time the Oilers are going to like Eberle more then Chicago likes Kane and his baggage.

I think Kane clearly showed he’s got his partying under control this year. Some people take a long time to grow up – Messier, Fuhr, Anderson for example.

107. bookje says:

hfairfield,

I think he is talking about Pouliot. He indicated that it was a first round draft pick of the Oilers, that he played the previous year, and that he was waiver exempt.

He said the problem with Edmonton was that the nuts were running the nuthouse. I miss those quotes (nothing else, but the quotes were golden)

108. BlacqueJacque says:

Wow, Pitkanen is done for the season before it even began. That’s got to be a record even for him.

109. Henry says:

hfairfield,

An interesting interview. Nice find.

110. BlacqueJacque says:

Henry,

Gagner? Has Gagner ever been out of shape? Never exactly a demon on skates, but of all the complaints about Ganger – and there are many – out of shape has never been one.

111. spoiler says:

From The Dude to RIP Ace. Helluva post, LT. The Big Lebowski begins. The Cup still reachable,

I think Eager makes this team. Over Omark. Big D and MacT want size, strength and grit.

Something like:

PERR HALL EBER
    JOEN GAGN YAKU
    SMYT GORD HEMS
    EAGE ARCO JONE

112. fifthcartel says:

So in the NHL14 video game Taylor Hall is the captain. I’m pretty sure they just picked someone they thought would be it (Spezza with Ottawa, Benn with Dallas), but I still found it mildly interesting.

113. spoiler says:

From the Smytty TC interview (probably the last one!):

Reporter> You guys aren’t the only ones feeling the effect Dallas’ new trends. Have you seen the food table yet?

Smyth> No, I haven’t.

Reporter>It’s all fruit, vegetables and yogurt, for the media.

Smyth> Geez… What do you think Terry?

Terry Jones> He’d better win.

Room cracks up.

114. Numenius says:

Grebeshkov said Belov might arrive on Friday.

115. Numenius says:

Interesting that Kevin McCartney put Brandon Davidson on his first all-star team for the Penticton tournament, together with Brenden Kichton of the Jets. That’s high praise.

116. longway says:

i’ll go out on a limb and predict Eberle is top 3 in team scoring for the length of his contract

117. Ribs says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Henry,

Gagner?Has Gagner ever been out of shape?Never exactly a demon on skates, but of all the complaints about Ganger – and there are many – out of shape has never been one.

I’d guess Quinn was talking about Gagner, too. He started him on the fourth line in the 09-10 season opener. Pouliot was out with Poobitus until January so he probably wasn’t talking about him.

118. VanOil says:

spoiler:
    PERR HALLEBER
    JOEN GAGN YAKU
    SMYT GORD HEMS
    EAGE ARCO JONE

Your second line intrigues me. I would coach them as follows;
    Joenuss go get puck
    Gagner pass puck
    Yak shoot puck
    Repeat with vigor.

119. delooper says:

longway:

Top 5 for the majority of his contract seems reasonable. But top 3 for every year of his contract is likely impossible. He can easily miss a half a season. With RNH, Hall, Yakupov, Hemsky and Gagner out there he could easily not be top 5.

120. Zipdot says:

russ99: Had to check all the teams to see if it was a misprint, but nope. I hope the team takes a big leap this year, but nobody expects that big of a leap.

NOBODY EXPECTS…… that big of a leap.

121. Zipdot says:

spoiler: From the Smytty TC interview (probably the last one!):

Smyth> No, I haven’t.

Reporter>It’s all fruit, vegetables and yogurt, for the media.

Smyth> Geez… What do you think Terry?

Terry Jones> He’d better win.

Room cracks up.

The “reporter” was none other than Geno Principe… I think that made it extra funny. Just because Gene. :) Funny stuff.

122. Zipdot says:

Henry: Quinn got his roundhouses in on tambellini,katz and lowe there. He was pretty clearly talking about gagner being out of shape and wanting to make an example out of him. The bit about not wanting to expose Schremp to waivers is pretty questionable especially when saying he was a good skater. Perhaps he blanked about the ‘also from London’ bit and was talking about Pou who was a decent skater.

I think he was talking about Gagner too. He said he was a London Knights player… That’s Schremp or Gagner. And he said one of them had to be exposed to waivers and the other hadn’t. So … Gagner, right? Dang… That’s the first bad thing I’ve ever heard about Gags.

123. bookje says:

I think I will take Quinn’s comments as those made by a bitter fired coach who wasn’t successful.

124. Zipdot says:

Me too. In any case, his request to send him down was rejected, so I guess cooler heads prevailed. Score one for the brain trust. :)

125. Ivan says:

spoiler:
    From the Smytty TC interview (probably the last one!):

Reporter> You guys aren’t the only ones feeling the effect Dallas’ new trends.Have you seen the food table yet?

Smyth> No, I haven’t.

Reporter>It’s all fruit, vegetables and yogurt, for the media.

Smyth> Geez… What do you think Terry?

Terry Jones> He’d better win.

Room cracks up.

This, was funny.

126. B S says:

Zipdot,

Not a chance in hell it could be Gagner. He’s been the fittest or second fittest player in training camp every year since he turned pro (no hyperbole).

As to Pat Quinn, If you can find it online, I recommend the Chilly Beach episode Training Daze (season 2 episode 3):

(no idea if this link will work in Canada) Summary is at the 8’20″ mark but the whole episode really should speak to any Oilers fan.

127. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Zipdot: The “reporter” was none other than Geno Principe…I think that made it extra funny.Just because Gene. Funny stuff.

I thought it was Rishaug.

Zipdot:
    Me too.In any case, his request to send him down was rejected, so I guess cooler heads prevailed.Score one for the brain trust.

While I think the idea of Gagner being “out of shape” is unlikely, but sure anything is possible, I’m not convinced Gagner’s development path was handled particularly well by the brain trust.

Seems to me they rushed him into the bigs a couple of years early to give the fans a new shiny toy.

128. BlacqueJacque says:

So this training camp is open to the public today and tomorrow?

What are the hours?

Bruce McCurdy: Ha ha, ain’t that the truth.

I’m assuming that’s a typo and the “2″ is inverted?

I got Petry, J.Shultz, Ferrence, Greb, Belov (by all reports) being able to make that first pass under pressure.

I got Smid on the other side.

If Smid remembers how he played with Lubo (I miss Lubo) and takes a stride or two before firing the puck, it would help.

Lubo was a beauty.

Woodguy: Why do you hate Smid?

131. bookje says:

Woodguy & Bruce,

I think the two of you are arguing over semantics. WG’s first comment was talking about 3 defense pairings and then he said 5 of them can make a pass. WG was talking about 5 individuals in the latter half of his comment. Bruce was trying to understand how 5 of 3 defense pairings could make a pass. So, he suggested that WG was perhaps meaning to say 2 of 3 defense pairings.

132. Bruce McCurdy says:

bookje:
    Woodguy & Bruce,

I think the two of you are arguing over semantics.WG’s first comment was talking about 3 defense pairings and then he said 5 of them can make a pass.WG was talking about 5 individuals in the latter half of his comment.Bruce was trying to understand how 5 of 3 defense pairings could make a pass.So, he suggested that WG was perhaps meaning to say 2 of 3 defense pairings.

No, I was joking about the unusual case that we may actually have more than 2 guys who can make a decent first pass.

(THUD goes another one liner)

133. Zipdot says:

delooper: And I’m not all that attracted to Philipino women. Japanese women, certainly. But Philipinos? That’s pretty rare.

My first reaction to this statement was to google some hot Philipino women to post for you.

But then I realized, “bah, no need to waste your time on a racist.”