DALLAS EAKINS

Dallas Eakins makes a lot of sense and that’s a good thing. For a team that recently had a coach hold court and say “pubis thing” and “a bunch of Barbara Ann Scott’s” Eakins’ more direct, intelligent approach is more effective and no less entertaining.

azorcan

ON TAYLOR HALL AT CENTER

• “It’s not like I’ve asked this guy to go play right defence. He’s played centre before. It may be an option for us a I want as many options as I can. This is my experiment. If it works, great, if it doesn’t I was crazy and we’ll move him back to left wing where he’s a pretty good player.”

Completely reasonable approach and it makes sense. You know, Hall might end up taking to it and become an effective center for 15 years, who along with Nuge provide top level performance up the middle. It’s worth a try, and if it doesn’t work Hall can move back to wing.

ml1

JUST LIKE BILLY MARTIN

• “I don’t want to look 82 games down the road, I want to look at the first exhibition games coming up, and we’re going to try to win those. And then the next one, we’re going to try to win that one, and then the next one after that. That’s the way this is going to go.”

Billy Martin was a meticulous mlb manager, and a successful one. There’s a legendary story about Martin arriving in Oakland A’s training camp as the new manager in 1980 and his talk to the pitching staff. “We’re going to throw strikes” Martin said to his pitchers, and they all agreed this was to be the case.

Game one of the exhibition season, Mike Norris (I believe it was Norris this was a helluva long time ago and could have been Steve McCatty or Brian Kingman) goes to the mound and throws his first pitch. “Ball one!” screams the ump, Martin calls time, walks to the mound and says “I thought we agreed we were going to throw strikes!”

The A’s had given up 654 walks the year before Martin arrived, and allowed 521 in Martin’s first season on the coast. Attention to detail can go a long, long way.

ml2

THE CERTAIN OILERS (18)

• Goalies (2) Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera
  • Defensemen (5) Jeff Petry and Ladislav Smid, Justin Schultz and Andrew Ferense, Nick Schultz
  • Centermen (3) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (inj), Sam Gagner, Boyd Gordon
  • Left Wing (4) Taylor Hall, David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth
  • Right Wing (4) Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS (15)

• Goalies (none)
  • Defensemen (7): Anton Belov, Denis Grebeshkov, Corey Potter, Phil Larsen, Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin, Taylor Fedun
  • Center (4): Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello, Will Acton, Andrew Miller
  • Left Wing (3): Linus Omark, Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
  • Right Wing (1): Mike Brown

ml3

EAKINS ON THE PUCK

• “We will be very, very aggressive in our defensive zone, we will have a definite plan in the neutral zone when we don’t have the puck, we will have a definite plan when we don’t have the puck in the offensive zone; but the biggest thing I want this group to do is have the puck. We are not going to give it up, and if we do, we are going to have a quick and immediate plan to get it back.”

ml4

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Looking forward to the show this morning, 10 to noon on Team 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Ryan Batty from Copper and Blue. We’ll talk Eakins, the enforcer tweet from McKenzie and Will Acton.
  • Neal Livingston from Tend the Farm. We’ll talk about the Barons at Oilers camp, and which ones we should be keeping an eye on.
  • Corey Graham from Team 1260′s Oil Kings broadcasts. Lots to discuss as we’re about one week away from the start of the Oil Kings season.
  • John Butchko from Gangreen Nation. We’ll set up the Thursday nighter (Jets-Pats).

@Lowetide_ on twitter, 10-1260 via text. Hope you’re listening!

102 Responses to "DALLAS EAKINS"

Goalies (2) Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera
    Defensemen (5) Jeff Petry and Ladislav Smid, Justin Schultz and Andrew Ferense, Nick Schultz
    Centermen (3) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (inj), Sam Gagner, Boyd Gordon
    Left Wing (4) Taylor Hall, David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth
    Right Wing (3) Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Jones
    Goalies (none)
    Center (4): Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello, Will Acton, Andrew Miller
    Left Wing (3): Linus Omark, Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
    Right Wing (1): Mike Brown

You missed Hemsky.

Insert comment about you hating Hemsky ———-> here.

And
    here

2. OilClog says:

LT, why do you hate Hemsky?!?!

Did you catch Eakin’s response to the same question in the scrum?

“First and foremost he needs to be able to play”

I think they understand it.

Its not 1998.

Missed Hemsky. I always miss someone. He’s up now, asses. :-)

WG: Yeah, agreed. I don’t think we’re in for a Jesse Boulerice here.

5. OilClog says:

I think Eakins might be the enforcer.

6. Clarkenstein says:

Well we know one thing for sure and that is that Eakins can talk the talk…mind you, MacT did that all summer until he flamed out! Being the cynic that I am LT this might be a perfect time to do a column on who the next Head Coach of the Oil might be…given they’ve had 6 in the past 5 years. Or not.

Clarkenstein:
    Well we know one thing for sure and that is that Eakins can talk the talk…mind you, MacT did that all summer until he flamed out! Being the cynic that I am LT this might be a perfect time to do a column on who the next Head Coach of the Oil might be…given they’ve had 6 in the past 5 years.Or not.

LOL. I think it’s probably wise to take a conservative view in regard to Eakins. He doesn’t have experience as an NHL coach and there are all kinds of buy-ins he doesn’t have; that said, I don’t know how a team outside the playoffs for a generation will get much traction with the public by not buying in to the new plan.

8. Clarkenstein says:

I realize the MSM is fawning all over Eakins because it’s probably a distraction from telling the paying customers this might be a 10th place team (or whatever in the new alignment)….he’s like a shiny new toy at the moment. So, it’s a “fool me once shame on you, fool me 5 times in 6 years, shame on me” scenario for me! Or maybe I’m still pissed that the Riders LOST TO THE FUCKING BOMBERS!!! LOL

9. supernova says:

Off Topic but..

I have wondered all summer if the Oilers could move Potter to Red Wings for Abdelbaker or Helm.

they would probably have to send a minor league asset or two but it just makes sense. Especially with Cleary wanting to stay with them.

If Tootoo is who they want to send back, i am not interested we have Brown at a much lower hit.

10. BlacqueJacque says:

What time does the camp open to the public today?

11. hunter1909 says:

Eakins has the 100% m.o. of the coach my hockey laboratory was attempting to conjure up all along – MacT did the perfect right move there.

I thought Krueger was doing his job until l saw something on the Oilers website after his sacking, where he’s wearing his Helly Hanson’s in front of the actual NHL players. It came across to me as Kreuger exhibiting some warped kind of “I’m just like you dudes” thing – and it’s everything I am against in management theory. In other words, the boss isn’t supposed to be your friend/as boss you’re better off going alone to a bar and boring the bartender, than trying to reverse hobnob with people who want to avoid you other than for the fact you pay them money.

Pat Quinn was entertaining in that podcast, many thanks to the poster who had it up yesterday. I think one of you wannabe professional writers needs to start interviewing Quinn, Renney, Tambellini etc for the full revolving door leading to Kevin Lowe story.

12. dawgtoy says:

I like to take a weeks vacation at this time every year. Allows me to do chores around the old place and if I’m lucky some Oilers camp. Now that my honey do list is nearly complete, time to watch the Oilers skate their proverbial asses off during what has been described as a torture test. GOilers!

Clarkenstein:
    I realize the MSM is fawning all over Eakins because it’s probably a distraction from telling the paying customers this might be a 10th place team (or whatever in the new alignment)….he’s like a shiny new toy at the moment. So, it’s a “fool me once shame on you, fool me 5 times in 6 years, shame on me” scenario for me! Or maybe I’m still pissed that the Riders LOST TO THE FUCKING BOMBERS!!!LOL

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“This is my experiment. If it works, great, if it doesn’t I was crazy and we’ll move him back to left wing where he’s a pretty good player.”

Great thing about this comment is not only does Eakins burst the bubble on the collective freak out over this move (still don’t understand the freak out)… but I love how he takes ownership of the move. No longer is this some chatter in the ether (“Hall at C? hmm”). It’s a concrete plan, stemming from a concrete situation, with concrete goals and most importantly an exit strategy.

———
    Major League… so much fun.

“Is that you Tolbert!?”

“don’t give me that ole bullshit Dorn”

Roger Dorn. Perfect name for that character. Like “Dobber” from Coach. Great naming job.

———-
    “a bunch of Barbara Ann Scott’s” Eakins’ more direct”

I’m just going to bring this up once more LT and if you never change that’s totally cool… but if you are interested, you don’t need that first apostrophe. “Scotts” is plural here not possessive. The second apostrophe (Eakins’) is perfect!

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

supernova:
    Off Topic but..

Cleary is going to sign with the Flyers apparently

16. BlacqueJacque says:

Lowetide: I haven’t said a word about it to my wife, but if the Riders lose to the Bombers then I’m going to the danger zone!

*Dangaaah zone* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3D7Y_ycSms

17. sliderule says:

I have high hopes for Eakins.

It will be interesting to see the systems he uses.

We did have a very good system coach in Renney.The team at that time wasn’t ready and I think Tom got run a little by veterans and even some rookies.I am sure Eakins won’t be run.

Please the first time Eakins uses the diamond PK don’t lament the end of the box.It’s usually only used against the Finn power play formation.

9a-2p

19. BlacqueJacque says:

9a-2p

Aww thanks I finally saw your tweet. Phone’s so slow.

Just FYI to anyone: if you want to use twitter or any other cool apps, do NOT get a windows phone.

20. FastOil says:

Woodguy:

Did you catch Eakin’s response to the same question in the scrum?

“First and foremost he needs to be able to play”

I think they understand it.

Its not 1998.

Did you mean it’s not 2012?

The way Eakins talks reminds of a matter of fact, what’s the problem, shitty coach named Babcock, so we’re screwed.

21. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Cleary is going to sign with the Flyers apparently

Not so fast…

There may be a body on the move in Detroit, we’ll have to see.

wheatnoil: Not so fast…

There may be a body on the move in Detroit, we’ll have to see.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 13m
    Retweeted by Tim Wharnsby

So if Holmgren is an idiot for wanting to sign Cleary for 3 years at just under $3MM, what is Ken Holland if he signs Cleary for 3 years at just over $2MM?

23. supernova says:

Woodguy: Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 13m
    Dan Cleary said in a text that he is signing with Wings tonight and on his way to Traverse City.Retweeted by Tim Wharnsby

Woodguy,

Romulus Apotheosis,

So what does Detroit do now that Cleary is back.

I would love to get Abdelkader.

Helm is a under appreciated player as well.

24. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

I would be very surprised if Holland offered a 3 year contract to an over 35 player. The similarities between Holland and Holmgren start to diverge after the third letter.

25. BlacqueJacque says:

Ok so im at the camp and…

Smytty was hurting early in the fitness test, but kept up a string effort. Hall wasnt the fastest in his group even once, and fell back Along with Hemsky. Joensuu was Fast his first two-three tries but Is sucking wind now pretty bad. Schultz le youthful was in the same group and had no fade to him. Ryan martindale was in the dame group and was second fastest overall, with the second best top time toi in m’y estimation. Sorry for typos but gotta type Fast.

justDOit:
    Woodguy,

The rumour yesterday was 2.1 x3 years in DET, but that changed now.

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 2m
    Source saying Dan Cleary deal with Detroit Red Wings is expected to be 1 year at $1.75M #TSN

That’s more Holland like.

27. BlacqueJacque says:

So far Ewanyk and Petryk Start the third group fastest, with two Guys wearing numbers not listed on the roster sheet. Evanyk fading quick, petryk keeping up a décent tempo. No idea who 82 Is but je had a Joensuu-like performance – nice for a big man – and #59 was sucking wind by the third attempt.

28. regwald says:

#RedWings are $637K over cap and have 16 #NHL forwards signed without Cleary. Only one, Nyquist, is waiver exempt. http://capgeek.com/redwings

29. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque,

82 – Joey Leach.

59 – Brad Hunt.

30. BlacqueJacque says:

justDOit,

Thanks. Seems to be a lot of names missing, like #21 who dominated Hall’s test group. Houck? Chase? About their size.

Anyway, I guess I missed a bunch of testing because the zamboni is on the ice or maybe Eakins is fanatic about getting fair results.

So far my impressions have been of smytty’s continued remarkable determination and work ethic, Schultz’s speed and fitness, and that Hall and Hemsky are either out of shape or disinterested. OK they’re setting back up now, looks like another round of tests.

31. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque,

21 would be Fitness Freak Ference.

Nice stuff Blackie – keep it up!

And on a related note, the ’28 TML training camp: http://i.imgur.com/4wQkbcB.jpg

32. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque,

Not sure if you can read this on your phone, but it’s the camp roster.

33. BlacqueJacque says:

justDOit,

Holy crap you’re telling me Old Man Ference and Ryan “I haven’t had legs since I met Bryan Marchment in the 90s” smoked Taylor Hall and Ales Hemsky? Man, we might have a new candidate for Captain if training camps won Stanley Cups.

Anyway the players are all in the training area off the ice, some on the bike, the rest in a meeting. Nurse has a funny frame, very top-heavy for a hockey player. Super narrow waist and hips, long legs and shoulders as wide as the Henday.

34. BlacqueJacque says:

Looks like drills. Oh yeah. Mike Brown also beat Hall and Hemmer in skating. Anyway, not much to report except that I am really impressed with Ference. Hall putting a couple of writers in on Dubey. Leach doesn’t pass too fast, holds onto the puck a bit longer. Ference skates backwards faster than Hunt. These drills are pretty intense and no sooner is it over than Eakins has them skate a hot lap as a “cool down”. For my money, Schultz and Ference are in the best shape as dmen and Brown for the forwards.

35. Zipdot says:

hunter1909: It came across to me as Kreuger exhibiting some warped kind of “I’m just like you dudes” thing – and it’s everything I am against in management theory. In other words, the boss isn’t supposed to be your friend/as boss you’re better off going alone to a bar and boring the bartender, than trying to reverse hobnob with people who want to avoid you other than for the fact you pay them money.

Yep, that’s why they have Officer’s Clubs and enlisted men’s bars.

36. denny33 says:

Clarkenstein,

Bomber fans are in shock that they won!

In all seriousness, CFL statiticians are looking into if the Bombers broke another recordf for futility… ZERO 1st downs in the first half. Some media here think it has never happened before.

The CFL has been around for a long time….

37. BlacqueJacque says:

Will Acton is the only one to put a puck past Dubey on the second drill. Ty Blicke looks lost more than he should, losing track of the puck. Hall and Hemsky the two most effective forwards in my end of the ice. Even in a drill, Smytty shows some leadership and gave Acton a tap after scoring that goal. Joensuu didn’t look bad either, and Brown didn’t fumble a pass yet.

38. denny33 says:

BlacqueJacque,

Love it ….great reporting….

Let me know how Omark looks…

39. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque,

Any impressions of Omark?

Relevant (from nhl.com): The NHL’s general managers were hoping to make the spin-o-rama in shootouts illegal for this season, but there was no support at the NHLPA level.

40. BlacqueJacque says:

justDOit,

No sign of Omark yet, he may be upstairs on the bikes.

Smytty still has energy, he just needs more time to rest. In the second set of drills he was gassed. Hemsky looks slower to recover, too, but worked nicely with Lander to assist ona Lander goal, top shelf on Roy. They had another nice chance but Hemsky’s pass was too hot.

41. BlacqueJacque says:

Martindale doesn’t have a great shot, and flubbed a one-timer. Also couldn’t catch a pass in his legs from Petryk. 4-83-93 doing beautiful work together on the breakout. I’m trying to decide who is worse at getting the puck from the boards – gernat or Schultz 19, and can’t decide. Gernat had no chance against smytty, and Schultz beat by little will acton.

42. spoiler says:

BlacqueJacque,

Keep it up, Mr. Shellacque, you’re doing a great job. Thanks!

43. justDOit says:

Lupul already day-to-day with back spasms – someone get that boy some extra magnesium!

44. Jon K says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Martindale doesn’t have a great shot, and flubbed a one-timer.Also couldn’t catch a pass in his legs from Petryk.4-83-93 doing beautiful work together on the breakout.I’m trying to decide who is worse at getting the puck from the boards – gernat or Schultz 19, and can’t decide.Gernat had no chance against smytty, and Schultz beat by little will acton.

45. BlacqueJacque says:

In defensive drills, Ference easily takes Ewanyk, Schultz got some help with Acton. Other than this, this is the first time,I’ve noticed Ewanyk. Completely invisible until now., Joensuu did his best laraque impression, holding off gernat and two forwards for a few seconds before dumping into the opposite corner. He’s pretty tired after that effort though. Martindale holds onto the puck with smytty attacking on the boards.

On the offensive side, Hemsky, Smytty, Martindale, Ference and Hunt manage to play keep away nicely until the whistle. If Martindale could shoot and be a bit more creative and faster with decisions, he’d have a career of some kind.

2 on pylon scoring drills with puck carrier shooting: Holy crap brown scores! And Martindale flubs again. Blicke misses completely, smytty fires a muffin, Brown goes wide, Ewanyk fires a muffin wide, Hemsky with a tricky low shot that comes up as an uncontrollable rebound. As does joensuu and Marco. Gernat finally beats Subey on the Marco rebound, batting it out of the air. Dubey spat out four fat rebounds on low shots.

46. Zipdot says:

Jon K: Will Acton is 6’2″ and 190 according to hockeydb and Wikipedia. Does he seem smaller?

Hey, that’s me exactly! Dang, I guess I coulda tried out for the Oilers too maybe…

47. BlacqueJacque says:

Jon K,

He does. Its probably the white jersey. He won every faceoff against smytty just now. Brown is practicing writer on timers and dubet is stoning him. I guess brown has his goal quota for training camp. Acton keeps winning draws, shutting,out or tying joensuu. Hall doing ok in faceofda, too. Jonsuu has Ewanyk beat in the faceoff circle and leach should give up on shooting the puck. Ewanyk starts to redeem himself with faceoffa later against joensuu. Schultz still doesn’t have a slapped worth noting.

Anyone know the name of the coach with the black hair and very prominent widow’s peak? His job seems to be to lose faceoffs :p

48. Ryan says:

It’s hard to imagine when you think about it…. that the Oilers would have not 1, not 2, but 3 #1 ov’s and that there would still be reasonable doubt about their playoff chances 1 year after the last #1 ov.

crazy isn’t it that a team could pluck 3 #1 OV’s–none of which are draft busts and still be projected as a bubble team…

49. BlacqueJacque says:

Schultz and Terence look nice in drills together. Both have accurate slappers, though Ference shoots harder. Anyway, I’m switching sides to fitness testing.

Davidson, Nesbitt, Ford and Musol. Nesbitt walks away with the first run, followed by Davidson. all four have weak and identical second runs. Davison wins the third by a nose over Musil and Nesbitt. They’re all dying by the fourth run. None of these guys could keep up with Smytty, nevermind ference or Schultz. Musil wins the last two.

Chase, nurse, platzer are going as a trio. Nurse Explodes and takes the first, chase second and platzer third. Same result second time. and third time, though chase narrows the gap with nurse. Wash rinse repeat for try number three, four, and five. Nurse giving up a bit at the end of the first half, but more explosive on the turn-around run.

50. Doomoil says:

Ryan:

51. TheOtherJohn says:

Winning every face off against Smytty is not that tough

If you are not in shape at this training camp you will either be on the bench or in OKC. we will see how Eakins does as a real NHL coach (figure we should see how he does bedore anoiting him Scotty Bowman II) but I have no absolutely doubt he was REAL serious about being in shape

52. Ryan says:

BlacqueJacque,

I had always thought you lived in mtl for some reason…

who’s looking out of shape in terms of actual NHL level talent?

53. BlacqueJacque says:

Ryan,

Based on the on-ice fitness test, so far I’d have to say Hemsky and Hall. They were slower than Brown and Smytty. I know it sounds crazy, but there it is. And it’s not like they were facing the toughs – Schultz and Ference were to me the fittest Oilers so far, and they were in a different group.

Still haven’t seen Gagner, Ebs, Smid, Old man Schultz, Perron etc. They’re coming later, the ice is being cleaned right now.

54. Bag of Pucks says:

Ensuring his teams were better conditioned than the opposition was the absolute foundation of his coaching philosophy. In his words, “Fatigue makes you a coward.”

Sounds like Eakins is cut from that same cloth. If we’re in the dog days of February, and this team is still relentless in puck pursuit against Phoenix with a two goal lead on a Tuesday night, we’ll know that MacT hired the right guy.

The key with these taskmasters is they HAVE to achieve success fairly quickly to retain player buy-in. If they don’t, it can go south pretty quick. I would suspect that’s why Eakins is even emphasizing winning in the preseason. He knows his credibility will only come from wins – however inconsequential they might be.

Guys like Klefbom and Nurse are probably wondering at this point exactly what they were thinking wanting to be professional athletes ; )

55. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Ryan,

Based on the on-ice fitness test, so far I’d have to say Hemsky and Hall.They were slower than Brown and Smytty.I know it sounds crazy, but there it is.And it’s not like they were facing the toughs – Schultz and Ference were to me the fittest Oilers so far, and they were in a different group.

Still haven’t seen Gagner, Ebs, Smid, Old man Schultz, Perron etc.They’re coming later, the ice is being cleaned right now.

Regarding Hemsky/Hall, I guess that this will put Eakins’ ‘I don’t care how much money you make…’ comment to the test.

56. BlacqueJacque says:

justDOit,

Well that’s the funny thing, you know, because when it came to the actual hockey drills. Hall looked great and so did Hemsky. Hemsky was more out of breath, but if anyone needed extra time to recover it was Smyth. Mike Brown is a physical specimen on par with Ference, though. If he was a good hockey player, hr could be out there 20 minutes a night.

57. Diesel says:

Bag of Pucks:

I can attest to this. I played for Fernando’s brother Sandro Pisani in Midget, and with a similar coach in Junior in Lloydminster. Both had a similar approach, but the difference is we won with Pisani.

Credibility falls victim to measurable success, eventually.

58. commonfan14 says:

Bag of Pucks: Watched an interesting biopic on former Canes/Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson last night.

Sounds a lot like the movie “Miracle,” where making sure his team was going to be more fit no matter what was shown as a major key to Herb Brooks’ plan for beating the Soviets in 1980.

59. BlacqueJacque says:

Philip Larsen and Nurse seem to be an effective pairing in the drills. Jones was kind of invisible. Eager stands out with his size and speed, and Nuge is out there in a powder blue jersey – non-contact? I know I’m giving these impressions, but I hope you guys realize they’re snapshots in time, so if very limited looks at guys in the first practice of the year.

Jonesy wrists a beauty above some goalie, Eberle follows it up with a prettier goal. Lander almost knocked his own rebound out of the air into,the net. Labarbera is in net. Chase not doing so hot in two-on-pylon with the shooting. Lander crossbar from the slot on one foot. Eberle looks focused, Gagner not quite as sharp. Eakins runs a high tempo practice, you’ve got to give it to him.Matt Ford looks better in drills than he does in the fit test.

60. commonfan14 says:

BlacqueJacque: I know I’m giving these impressions, but I hope you guys realize they’re snapshots in time, so if very limited looks at guys in the first practice of the year.

Screw that – I like running with the notion that Ryan Martindale is now a giant Todd Marchant.

61. BlacqueJacque says:

Hahahaha Jones is chirping Smid. I have no idea what he said but the way he said it had me chortling. Chase missed Hamilton on a forward pass and Larsen breaks,up a Gags-Eager two-on-one. Eberle skates by Petry and doesn’t bother to pass to Ford but puts it on net. Labarbera looking pretty sharp.

Jones causing havoc around the net. Still has that unpredictable/lucky thing going for him. Lander stopped twice by Labarbera, including a close rebound with a leg planted by the post. Gagner isn’t even breathing hard, Jones looks a little worse for wear.

Looks like Eakins is trying out Gagner with Eberle and keeping Musil with Davidson. Eberle scores. Sickest hands on the team. Lander looks so much more relaxed in practice than in games. Softer hands, softer passes.

Larsen is impressing me. Good reads, decent speed, quick stick, hard if inaccurate shot. Musil doesn’t look as bad as on TV, but he’s still not a quick cat. Davidson doesn’t look as much faster as I’d expect.

62. Numenius says:

BlacqueJacque,

You’re on fire. Love the updates.

63. "Steve Smith" says:

BlacqueJacque:
    \Anyone know the name of the coach with the black hair and very prominent widow’s peak?His job seems to be to lose faceoffs :p

Can he skate? If so, we might just have replaced Andrew Cogliano.

64. dawgtoy says:

BlacqueJacque,

I completely agree with “snapshots in time.” I just got home from there, and its tough to put into words these limited glimpses that we see of the players. I tried to focus on certain players. I enjoyed what I saw. Hall between Hemsky and Smyth. Schultz and Ference glued together. I enjoyed the puck retrieval drills, and you can certainly tell what Eakins intends for this team. Up tempo, get the puck out of the defensive zone, and attack with speed. Interesting to see the one drill where the two D would pin the coaches (Thompson and Acton) in the corner and allow the center to retrieve the puck. Clearly demonstrated the pressure style Eakins wants to instill on the team.

65. TheOtherJohn says:

Realize it may be simplistic to ask but aren’t D pinning forecheckers on wall to allow C to get puck out:—- isn’t that interference?

66. BlacqueJacque says:

I’m going to leave the drills for the fitness tests. They’re not as useful but it’s much easier to judge them and I figure they’re more likely to get blown out of proportion as important. Plus, everyone’s favorite surprise oiler is here! Omark :p and grebeshkov. Talk about names I can’t get over seeing on the roster…

Really nice to see Fedun, too. Betker is.. Yikes. Big boy. MacIntyre big. Looks heavier than his losted 204. Him and Abney are towering over Pitlick and make Arco look like a child.

First up for fit test are Yak, Schultzo (o for older), Gordon, Grebeshkov, andPerron. Yak late start, good all around performance, grebs wins. Yak and schultzo tie second round but everyone is close. Same thing third round but Gordon and grebs fall behind. Fourth round everyone is flagging, but same result. Schultzo impressively fit, keeping up with Yak. Fifth round Gordon and grebeshkov fall further behind. Gordon stumbles but still ties with grebeshkov.

next upOnark, pitlick, Arco, Houck, marincin and fedun. Wait no Houck. Can’t go back to edit typing too fast.

Five way tie really with fedun just trailing everyone. Omark falls behind on second ru,, otherwise close. Arco pulls away on the third try with Houck coming second. Arco again on the next run, Houck and omark gassing. Now everyone is slow, omark and Houck last, Arco first. On the last run, marincin and fedun come out ahead. Omark not bad, but not winning like I’d expect.

next groupAbmey, stretch. Moroz. HOLY SHIT abney wins the first one decisively. A good horse length. Three wat tie the second run. Similar result third time, but stretch has the lead by a nose. Fourth run all hurting, moroz worst of all, stretch wins. Fifth run similar result but abney keeps it close. Really impressive for a big man. Same thing last run, abney slower but quicker to pivot – catches stretch in the turnaround of all places.

OL next up Marco, fyten, and big Ben betker. Arco and betker followed by fyten. Gotta give it to the big men, they came to play. Betker takes the second with Arco coming last – looked like he had a slower start though. Thirs run is basically a three wat tie. Arxo takes the fourth by a nose. Betker flagging on the fourth, dyten putting up a fight. Dyten takes the fifth, betker last. Dyten reminds me of smytty – relatively high vaseline speed even when exhausted. Slow legs, clean stride keeps him fast with good effort.

67. BlacqueJacque says:

Looking at these fitness tests, I think I know why Hall looked so bad. He’s got a powerful stride, but an ugly one. Lots of acceleration and speed but has to keep his feet moving. Guys like Fyten and Smyth have a cleaner, more conventional motion and are able to keep up a relatively high baseline speed when dead tired – and trust me, even though Smyth beat Hall, he looked more gassed and stayed tired longer. I think it’s also why the Schultzes and defencemen in general did better than forwards – clean skating. I honestly think if you put Abney and Hall in the same test, Hall would be falling behind by the fourth run. Paul Coffey, if he were here, would dominate this.

68. BlacqueJacque says:

dawgtoy,

69. G Money says:

BlacqueJacque: Agreed. For all his talk of a defensive, responsible style of play, what Eakins is implementing a very aggressive game when it comes to puck retrieval. High tempo, get on the puck, don’t just assume the best defensive position but attack the attacker when the opportunity presents itself. I foresee a fair amount of system mistakes in the first quarter season, but more of a semblance of a system than what we had with Kreuger.

I remember last year there was an article on ON describing Krueger’s “gapping” system. I read it with interest, and then posted a question asking which other teams used that system. No-one answered at the time, but during the commentary from those bloggers who deconstructed the system late in the season, the answered seemed to be “no one else is using Krueger’s system.” Implying the classic smartest-guy-in-the-room syndrome of failure.

So to repeat my long-winded question – anyone know if this new system is widely used, and if so, who, does it have a name, a track record, etc.?

70. ashley says:

We’ll have to see about Eakins.

I’m not a big fan of rookie coaches. I think they often try to hard to impress. Having played this game to a high level (like many of you who post here), I always found that the coaches who had endless systems/rules, and were constantly criticizing during the game got the least out of the team.

The best coaches that get the most from their team speak only when necessary which is often enough. They do have systems, especially on defense where you have to be organized. However, offense is less hard and fast, more like guidelines.

My best coaches never tried to fix things from the bench in the middle of a game. It’s so hard to keep focus and perform at a high level with someone on your back every 3 minutes. Then you second guess everything you do.

The reason guys like Hall and Eberle excelled in these situations is because they ignored the system and bench-chatter, and followed their offensive instincts. More respectful (or less untouchable) players get boxed in by these types of coaches and lose their natural instincts to create which is most important on offense.

Omark also ignored the Renney systems, but that got him banished to the minors.

This is where Renney failed. This is where Krueger failed. Too much talk. Too much analysis. Overcoached. Lots to prove, so understandable. This is what I fear from Eakins.

Compare with experienced coaches not named Quinn. They have learned that less is more.

Hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst from this young rookie.

71. thejonrmcleod says:

BlacqueJacque,

How do you have time to watch any of the practice while doing all that typing!? Did you take your laptop? I hope you’re not typing all this on a phone.

72. BlacqueJacque says:

G Money,

I honestly can’t answer your question. To me it just looks like Eakins wants his players to be right on their man and he wants the centre to help, not float, when the puck is in the corner. Gagner is going to probably have the most adjustment to do, based on last season.

73. RMGS says:

G Money,

The blogger to ask is Kevin McCartney at Jets Nation.

74. spoiler says:

ashley: Omark also ignored the Renney systems, but that got him banished to the minors.

Omark ignored his own end… that’s what got him banished. Broke out faster than acne on a 14 year old.

75. Zipdot says:

BlacqueJacque: Based on the on-ice fitness test, so far I’d have to say Hemsky and Hall. They were slower than Brown and Smytty. I know it sounds crazy, but there it is

Hall said at his presser yesterday that he’s only been on the ice “12 times” since the last season. Kind of weird, really. But I guess we’re seeing the results of that. BTW excellent, excellent info, thank you x 1000.

76. russ99 says:

ashley,

I don’t think it’s best to rope Eakins in with Renney and Krueger thus far.

The difference here is that Dallas is not (at least publicly) going with a “this is the way we’re doing it, my way or the highway” mentality, he genuinely wants to create a relationship with the players to see what makes them tick, and how he can best work with them.

This is where Renney and others failed, with the hardline approach and assuming all players are the same, which especially turns off Euros and free spirits. Yak wouldn’t have lasted a month with Renney…

Then again the proof is in the results, and I hope Eakins’ approach gives us better results than other coaches.

77. Zipdot says:

G Money: I remember last year there was an article on ON describing Krueger’s “gapping” system.

That system was a “pre-gap” system. That’s the key. Everyone “gaps”, but Krueger was pre-gapping.

78. Zipdot says:

I wonder how Ryan Whitney is doing over at the Blues camp… Very curious about that.

EDIT:
    Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 1m
    Dallas Eakins says Andrew Ference scored the highest VO2 that he’s ever seen as a coach.

Big surprise, eh. I’m starting to warm up to this Ference fellow…

EDIT 2:
    Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 3m
    Dallas Eakins confirms that Oilers are following concussion protocol with Oscar Klefbom after he got elbowed in head on Tuesday night.

Damn it.

79. wheatnoil says:

russ99:
    ashley,

I don’t think it’s best to rope Eakins in with Renney and Krueger thus far.

80. fifthcartel says:

Zipdot,

such a shitty outcome for a meaningless game.

81. Zipdot says:

fifthcartel: Zipdot,

such a shitty outcome for a meaningless game.

You said it, man. Though not quite as bad as a Joey Moss concussion…. But Klefbom’s stock will plummet if the concussion protocol says he’s got to sit out for a while…

82. wheatnoil says:

Zipdot: You said it, man.Though not quite as bad as a Joey Moss concussion….But Klefbom’s stock will plummet if the concussion protocol says he’s got to sit out for a while…

Good thing there’s no urgency to push him into the line-up. Defensive depth is a wonderful thing.

83. bones says:

LT, just been listening to today’s podcast – great show, n the craic with Connor was golden!

84. BlacqueJacque says:

OK, so, final impressions from today. I didn’t post anything for the fourth and final group because I was taking videos of the drills so you guys can get an idea of what was going on. Unfortunately my phone died so it has to charge up a bit before I can upload.

The last group was (of the big names) Yak, Perron, Gordon, Omark, Grebeshkov, and I have to throw Cam Abney in there. I don’t know if he’ll ever have an NHL career, but he will have a hockey career of some kind. Not that slow, better at pivoting than I’d expect from a big guy, and pretty puck aware. He’s not just some goon. If he continues to develop he might be challenge for a Ben Eager/Jesse Joensuu role.

Anyway, Yakupov was probably the best forward I saw on the ice today. It’s really a three-way tie between him, Eberle, and Hall, and if anything I’d say Hall was trailing the other two by a hair. Yakupov’s shots were on target, hard, accurate, and the few times they missed, the rebound off the boards was so hard it didn’t say behind the line but bounced far enough forward that it would be in decent rebound scoring position. I obviously didn’t attend training camp last year, but Yakupov understood the drills, his assignments, and the rotations and executed them as perfectly as anyone. I might make fun of hockey players and their intellect from time to time, but pretty much every player understood some fairly complicated drills after a brief explanation from Eakins. Eberle was back to 2011 form with his hands, putting the puck where he wanted it and scoring twice on Labarbera, and generally did his whole disappearing magic trick where he’s gone, he’s gone, you don’t even miss him and oh shit he’s got the puck, he’s deking and it’s in the net.

After those three, the next-best forward to my eye was Perron, followed by Hemsky and then maybe Gordon, Omark, or Gagner. Perron has a good shot, very nice backhand and in general is a very solid offensive player. Omark has lost a step since we last saw him, but lost none of the ability to be elusive in tight areas and come away with the puck against much bigger opposition. In one of the videos I’ll upload, you guys will see what I mean. He starts with the puck near the corner, no one around him, and then the drill seems to be to hold onto the puck for a scoring chance. Two defenders come at him and he walks away with it – nobody else did so. Whether he buys into defensive coverage and learns to keep his mouth shut, is something else, but I think he’s got a chance at a roster spot. Smytty just can’t be counted on to play 3rd line minutes for very long, IMO. Once he gets tired, he *stays* tired and takes much longer to recover.

I think we might actually have three scoring lines whether Eakins believes in a checking line or not. Right now the pairings on the offense were ???-Gagner-Eberle, Smyth-Hall-Hemsky, and Perron-Gordon-Yak. Yeah, right-shooting Perron on the left side and left-shooting Yak on the right side. Shut up, I don’t care how it looks, it worked.

Grebeshkov has lost none of his chaos. Like Omark, he’s lost a step, but hasn’t lost what made him into the Denis Grebeshkov we all know and love. At one point he bailed at high speed, landed on his ass and nearly bowled over an Oiler by the bench. At another, he nailed either Abney or Bitker in the chest with a slapper from the point during a drill when one of those two giants was screening net. Then he almost canned Steve Smith with a backhand puck to the nuts.

Andrew Ference is our #1 defenceman if my eyes today are to be believed. Unbelievable fitness results, terrific anticipation and quick decisions. Schultzy (y for younger) looked in better shape than last year, but not necessarily better defensively. Schultzo (o for older) was another player in great shape and did a solid job of being invisible – just the way I like my defensive defencemen.

Marincin is further along than I thought he would be. Big steps were taken in the AHL last year. Gernat has a long way to go yet, another year or two in the A. When I watch him, I understand why players risk suspensions and fines and their long-term health by using steroids. Another 15-20lbs on his frame would make a big difference and all he’d be left with is learning to be more cautious defensively, and he’d be a legitimate NHL defender earning millions as opposed to a prospect earning a couple hundred thousand. As it is, he’s not strong enough.

Of the prospects, obviously Marincin is worth noting, but I want to comment on how much I liked Marco Roy. Really looked like he’d already played some pro hockey in the AHL. I think we’ve got a player.

***FITNESS AND EAKINS***
    As far as fitness goes, Eakins is either right where he wants to be or exactly where he doesn’t want to be. Because if he wants to make an example, he can pick on Hemsky, Hall, and Gordon in that order. Hemsky is what, 7 years younger than Smyth, and by the third or fourth run he was getting beat by him. Hall was getting beat the run after that. Gordon was the worst of his group. Andrew Ference walked away from the Hall/Hemsky/Smyth group like nobody’s business. So you’ve got two very old men – one who lost his speed 15 years ago when he met Bryan Marchment, the other who has been playing 20-25 minutes a night for 10 years – beating your top young gun and your 5 million dollar man who’s always had questions about his effort. I honestly would not want to be Hall, Hemsky, or Gordon right now because it’s going to be ugly. Hell, I wouldn’t want to be Eakins – because after saying all that, are you going to staple your best player and likely #1 centre to the bench, along with your projected 3rd line centre and one of your best wingers?

In Hall’s defense, I can say that he was handling the drills better than Hemsky, who was breathing hard at the end of them all. Omark was only a little better than Hemsky in that regard, but Omark didn’t get embarrassed by Ryan Smyth in 6 foot races. I still think there’s a chance that Hall’s high-effort stride with its bad glide played a role in his poor results, but I may be making excuses for Moose Redux. If I was to guess, I’d say it’s Hemmer who is going to see his minutes cut.

I missed the Eberle/Gagner group’s fitness testing – it either happened before I arrived, or while I was watching the Perron/Gordon/Yak group’s drills – so I don’t know how Ebs and Gagner did.

Anyway, phone should be charged enough to where I can start uploading.

Thank you all for the compliments who enjoyed my updates, and apologies to anyone who was hoping to talk about Eakins rather than read some random fan’s quick impressions of isolated events from practice drills. :)

85. pboy says:

wheatnoil: Before we damn Renney and Krueger too much, let’s not forget that neither coach really had the horses. The Oilers have been a terrible team for the last few years and it’s because they had too few NHL players and the NHL players they did have carried too heavy a load or were still within spitting distance of puberty.Yes, there’s evidence that Krueger’s team had poorer puck possession than Renney’s and yes there’s caveats for that too (no training camp, condensed schedule with fewer practices, under-manned coaching staff). However, if the Oilers had the horses these last three years, our view of those two coaches may be vastly different. I don’t agree with everything either of them did, but if Eakins sees success this year it’s going to hard to tease apart how much is due to him and how much is due to having real NHL defensemen and fewer rookies playing key minutes.(That said, I like Eakins… mostly because I’m afraid he’ll punch me if I don’t… he actually might punch me anyways.)

I take exception with this. The Oilers have been a terrible team for a lot longer then the last couple of years……

BlacqueJacque – You killed it today, thanks for all of the updates!

86. ashley says:

russ99:
    ashley,

I don’t think it’s best to rope Eakins in with Renney and Krueger thus far.

No definitely not wanting to lump them together, at least that’s not what I intended. Only that we need to be cautious with our optimism.

As hard as it is to remember, we felt this good about Renney after Quinn was fired, and also Krueger the motivational speaker.

It is interesting how other team’s fired coaches seem to end up hired in some other head coach role within a couple of years. However, the Oilers fire their head coaches, and none of them ever take a position as head coach again.

87. Rocknrolla says:

Thanks Again BlaqueJaque, great updates and some inside info…for those who couldnt be there. To hell with MSM! Let us know the link for the vids.

88. BlacqueJacque says:

It’s going to be about an hour or two for the vids. About a gig and a half left to upload to YouTube.

Oh, and, it’s my pleasure :)

89. justDOit says:

ashley,

Not that they are HCs, but Renney got a job right away with the Wings, and Krueger is with the Canadian Oly staff.

90. OilClog says:

IMO, I never felt good about Quinn, or Renney. Game had passed Quinn by, and Renney has never been anything more then a Mid Level Head Coach.

I did feel good about Kruger, win some lose some.

What I do know, I feel better about Eakins then any of them. We will see where it goes, but it actually feels like we might be a real NHL team again! This could go down as MacT’s boldest move, and best,

91. Truth Movement says:

For a different perspective, here’s what Replacement wrote on HFBoards. Now granted, this is Replacement, so grains of salt have to be taken, but another set of eyes nonetheless:

“I attended the last session. I’ll start the ball rolling.

Omark: looks much different, definitely improved shot, ringing pucks off post for fun. Showed me a lot today. Working hard out there, communicating, looking consistently good on line rushes. Stayed out after to work more (is this the same guy)? But seriously Omark looks more like what people would want him to look like so far. At least working hard out there and not goofing around like he has a lot in previous TC’s.

Yak. Not really bringing it today, not leaning into anything and not unleashing the wicked shot too many times.No big deal and not worried. He did load up the cannon occasionally but when Yak gets it going you think he’s going to break things with his shot. Like boards or posts.. Stayed out after practice to give the goalies some shooting practice. Nice to see a star play making the extra effort.

Gordon: Looked really good, better hands than thought, and was greasy in the play and sniped a few goals today on line rushes. Looked impressive both ends of the ice and looked like he could own anybody on the ice. Physically dominating just leaning on guys out there.

N Schultz. Didn’t distinguish in any particular way. TBH looked awkward out there and not any flow yet. Not physical, not great positioning.

Grebs looked like we remember. Good wheels, waterbug.

Roy,. People won’t like this but the ENTIRE time I was there the kid didn’t pop one goal on a line rush, drill, or even taking shots. He was missing several shots high and wide after stuffing several right into pads. The guy had nothing today, no jam, no fight, not digging in corners druing semi scrimmages, trouble executing even passes on line rushes and was a skating bag of nerves. Didn’t look confident, tbh looked like he wanted to hide after awhile.

So here goes a comment. Marco Roy, a guy that takes shot after shot in prospects over 4 games and doesn’t finish anything spends all day on the ice today again not finishing anything. So this is interesting. While accomplished guys like Yak and Omark and Gordon are out there with everybody else taking shots and continuing to practice Roy is seen skating aimlessly around center ice handling a puck for 5 mins. Didn’t take one shot, didn’t pass the puck once, it was as if he was killing time and thought it would bad if he out and out left the ice while coaches were still lurking.
    . AT this exact time Yakupov, with the best shot on the club is firing 25 pucks in succession multiple times, practicing one on one for a longtime and little Roy skates around a bit more in center ice aimlessly and then is among the first players to leave the ice. As soon as one player left the ice he apparently felt he had permission. I should mention every other prospect(except one) was still on ice actually taking part. There was no indication Roy was hurt in any way.

To wit this is a guy with stone cold hands that isn’t feeling it, isn’t showing any kind of shot whatsoever today, doesn’t have any confidence today, and he’s not out there working it? I don’t get it.”

Disclaimer: I am not a kineseology expert.

I don’t think you can make direct comparisons in the 3-minute wind-sprint, limited recovery time test. One would think performance in this test is quite dependent on the ratio of fast-twitch to slow-twitch muscle, and the amount of muscle mass.

Hall has explosive speed (i.e. probably a higher fast twitch to slow twitch muscle ratio) and a lot more muscle mass than Smyth.

Thanks to Blacque Jacque for updates today. Brilliant stuff and appreciated.

94. bookje says:

godot10:
    Disclaimer: I am not a kineseology expert.

I would aslo like to note that I am not a kinesiology expert.

95. bookje says:

BlaqueJaque – let me add to the thanks. I read the whole thing and really enjoyed it.

96. bookje says:

Any video of the dreaded fitness tests?

97. justDOit says:

bookje: I would aslo like to note that I am not a kinesiology expert.

Is there anything else that you’d like to get off your chest today?

98. BlacqueJacque says:

bookje,

No, by the time I started taking video they were over.

I can draw it out for you though.

Basically, the goal was to set a time, and then match it. I don’t think anyone got close to matching it with the 5th or 6th run, but some guys did a whole lot worse than others.

99. Bank Shot says:

G Money: For those familiar with systems and tactics – how common (that is to say, how widely used) is the system that Eakins appears to be implementing?

I’m not sure exactly what system Eakins will be implementing but if he is looking at playing an aggressive defensive style then its probably supposed to look something like how the Sutters coach, or Hitchcock in the Oilers half of the rink.

The Oilers since MacT’s last few seasons have mostly been playing the passive trap combined with collapsing in the defensive zone. Jacque Lemaire special. :)

I would say most NHL teams are of the collapsing nature in the defensive zone nowadays. If the Oilers are going to be successful in the aggressive style, Eakins is going to have to succeed in getting a lot of the Oilers to play outside their comfort zone. The Oilers aren’t exactly stocked with naturally aggressive players.

100. theres oil in virginia says:

bookje: I would aslo like to note that I am not a kinesiology expert.

This changes my opinion of you considerably.