EVEN STRENGTH SCORING IN DRAFT ELIGIBLE SEASONS (CHL)

When it comes to assessing pure offensive ability for prospects, it’s important to let all of the air out of their tires. We do that by Desjardins or Vollman NHLE, but we can also help ourselves by looking at even strength offense. There’s no way to pad the stats, even strength goals are the toughest thing on the ice surface to come by, even for the great ones. Here’s a look at even strength offense for top draftee forwards 2007-13.

1. 2009-10 Taylor Hall 57, 22-33-55 (.965)
  2. 2011-12 Nail Yakupov 42, 18-22-40 (.952)
  3. 2006-07 Sam Gagner 53, 14-33-47 (.887)
  4. 2010-11 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 69, 20-27-47 (.681)
  5. 2009-10 Ryan Martindale 61, 13-28-41 (.672)
  6. 2012-13 Marco Roy 65, 16-25-41 (.631)
  7. 2007-08 Jordan Eberle 70, 25-19-44 (.629)
  8. 2009-10 Curtis Hamilton 26, 7-8-15 (.577)
  9. 2012-13 Jackson Houck 69, 15-24-39 (.565)
  10. 2012-13 Greg Chase 69, 13-23-36 (.522)
  11. 2010-11 Tobias Rieder 65, 17-14-31 (.477)
  12. 2011-12 Daniil Zharkov 50, 14-8-22 (.440)
  13. 2012-13 Kyle Platzer 65, 4-17-21 (.323)
  14. 2010-11 Travis Ewanyk 72, 12-10-22 (.306)
  15. 2011-12 Mitchell Moroz 66, 11-8-19 (.288)

A  few notes:

• As one might expect, the twin OHL wingers are the big time offensive prospects from the group. It’s interesting to see how close they were in the draft seasons at even strength in the OHL. I’m never going to suggest Nail Yakupov is a better hockey player than Hall, but if it ends up being true we can look back and see there wasn’t a lot of offensive clearance in their final junior seasons.
  • Nuge is trailing the wingers, and I think that’s fair–they’re better offensive players–but there’s a small item worth mentioning. He’s an April 1993, Nail an October 1993, but Nuge was a 2011 draft with Nail a year later. I’m not an expert on age and its impact, but there’s a story there (both Yak and Hall were at the beginning of their draft year eligibility). I think we’re safe in stating that RNH is shy of the wingers offensively.
  • Gagner’s an interesting player in this group, TOI and Patrick Kane-as-linemate probably helped the number. Still, he’s in nice company.
  • Ryan Martindale shows well and he always looks good in training camp and pre-season. I wonder what he’d do if he got a game with some very skilled linemates in pre-season?
  • Roy shows well in this look, he’s a nice prospect. Can’t wait to see the numbers he posts this winter.
  • Eberle is down the list, but his team was a pretty weak one and 25 EV goals is a very good total.
  • All of the guys over .600/game at evens who are old enough to push for NHL jobs have in fact done it (save Martindale). Let’s be real, there are three #1′s and a lottery pick in there, so it’s a bright group. A nice little glimpse into Roy’s season, though.
  • I didn’t alter the results for scoring rates over seasons, that might tighten things up some.

Thoughts?

37 Responses to "EVEN STRENGTH SCORING IN DRAFT ELIGIBLE SEASONS (CHL)"

1. Truth says:

Yak’s number would have been very interesting if Galchenyuk had played his full draft year as his center. I think it’s safety say Galchenyuk is going to be a better player than Gagner . Would Nail have blown Hall (and Kane’s) numbers out of the water and made himself a higher pedigree prospect than Hall ( and Kane)? Would the Oilers have drafted Galchenyuk instead?

A lot of what ifs, but I do love the fact that Yak beat Stamkos’ rookie scoring record in Sarnia. Now to compete with him atop the NHL scoring race…

2. DerekZ says:

Just another positive arrow for Moroz. Always trending upwards, that kid.

Truth:
    Yak’s number would have been very interesting if Galchenyuk had played his full draft year as his center.I think it’s safety say Galchenyuk is going to be a better player than Gagner . Would Nail have blown Hall (and Kane’s) numbers out of the water and made himself a higher pedigree prospect than Hall ( and Kane)? Would the Oilers have drafted Galchenyuk instead?

A lot of what ifs, but I do love the fact that Yak beat Stamkos’ rookie scoring record in Sarnia.Now to compete with him atop the NHL scoring race…

Yak had an injury too, he was on fire before it.

4. Truth says:

And if you think Gagner > Galchenyuk hopefully you are in Habs upper management.

5. Truth says:

6. wheatnoil says:

I think it goes to show just how damn hard the pro game is. Martindale and Hamilton had a significant offensive component to their game that has yet to follow them to the pro ranks. It’s hard to predict how these kids are going to transition. We look back at that trio (Hamilton / Pitlick / Martindale) and they all seemed like such solid picks. Even with Hamilton’s draft-year injury, he definitely put up numbers in his draft + 1 and made the Junior team. I still cling on to this belief that one of them HAS to make it as a bottom-sixer… I mean, how can three reasonable picks all crash and burn so completely? Their draft year even-strengths just put more evidence to the fact that were reasonable picks at the time.

TOI would be such an immensely useful tool here. Platzer is down in Moroz / Ewanyk territory but likely played far fewer minutes per game and actually played a few games as a defenseman (though in Moroz / Ewanyk’s favour, they played a shutdown role that I doubt Platzer played).

Roy looks good. Does anyone know what Zykov’s even-strength numbers were?

Finally, how in HELL did they grab Chase in the 7th round?

DerekZ:
    Just another positive arrow for Moroz.Always trending upwards, that kid.

I was actually surprised he scored this much. There was a time during that first year where he scored several PP goals, thought his numbers at evens would have been worse. Clearly though he’s the “one of the things that doesn’t belong” on this list.

8. DerekZ says:

“one of the things that doesn’t belong” on….
    …the draft board.

DerekZ:
    “one of the things that doesn’t belong” on….
    …the draft board.

no argument there, said it at the time

10. spoiler says:

LT,

Seems to my memory Martindale had a decent pre-season game last year. I don’t think it was in a skill role though. Nor do I think that’s the Oilers’ plan for Martindale. I think they want him to be a big defensive C with some skill.

He still needs to improve his strength, commitment and work rate though.

11. spoiler says:

Is it wrong to throw things at your TV during Eskimo football games?

spoiler:
    Is it wrong to throw things at your TV during Eskimo football games?

It’s a tradition at my house. What a terrible display. I hate these uniforms because all they do is lose, but I don’t want them in the Moon uniforms because they don’t deserve them.

13. spoiler says:

Unbelievable turn of events. Would have the lead if the refs hadn’t somehow missed that blatant pick.

14. commonfan14 says:

Truth: That too. My own suspicion was he came back before he was 100% due to it being his draft year and his chance at 1st overall. Can’t imagine Mr. Larionov or the Sting holding him back.

And even with that, his ppg was only slightly off what Stamkos put up in his draft year.

Then last year he put up better ppg and gpg than Stamkos did in his rookie year.

Can the season start already please?

15. spoiler says:

They still suck though.

spoiler:
    They still suck though.

And they need a defense of course. So yeah. Suckage.

17. Dead Cat Bounce says:

spoiler:
    They still suck though.

As a lifelong Stampeder fan, I heart this message :)

18. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: Yep. They’re about 1972 Eskimos now. Reilly’s Wilkinson, now they need those Canadian drafts and protected players we saw from about 1973-77 (looooonnngggg list) and wideouts like Waddel Smith and George McGowan (Stamps can take the Tommy Scott role) and of course they need Jim Germany and an Oline.

And they need a defense of course. So yeah. Suckage.

Reilly will likely be killed in action before any of those things come to pass.

Have to say, the guy is a warrior.

DSF: You’re a Stampeder fan. Perfect.

20. spoiler says:

And they need a defense of course. So yeah. Suckage.

When was the last time we had a running game? Were we in this century?

Loved Waddell Smith, but I’d settle for Howdy Doody right now.

Did you mean Blue Bombers and Scott?

21. Bruce McCurdy says:

spoiler: When was the last time we had a running game?

That would be the two games we had Mike Pringle before gifting him to the Als.

spOILer: Blue Bomber Tommy Scott became Eskimo Tommy Scott, 1977-78 somewhere in there. I think they trade Paplawski for him, two HOFers iirc.

23. Bruce McCurdy says:

spoiler: And the Esks always tooks special pride in their Defences, even during rebuilding years. The amount of yards the Dbacks are laying off is sickening.

Missed most of the game but keep hearing on post game how good the defence played, holding the Stamps to just 37 points.

Spare me.

24. Dead Cat Bounce says:

DSF: You’re a Stampeder fan. Perfect.

I knew you would ask.

The DSF/DCB chronology:

1) Born in Calgary in 1950. Was a Stamps fan from birth. Was a Seattle Totems fan because they had some cool players but accessible only on late night radio.

(Guyle Fielder was likely the best hockey player never to have an NHL career)

2) Moved to Cold Lake at the age of 10. Still a Stampeder fan but now a fan of the Boston Bruins.

3) In 1970, when the Canucks were granted an expansion franchise, adopted them as my “home” team listening to all their games on late night radio. Orland Kurtenbach was a personal favourite.

4) By 1972, I had moved to Edmonton and, when the Oilers entered the WHA, I immediately adopted them as my “home” team and became a season ticket holder which lasted for 20 some years.

5) At this time, as I had moved to Edmonton, I tried to become an Eskimo fan but found Bryan Hall (the defacto face of the franchise) such an obnoxious, dimwit, homer, I couldn’t stomach the change.

6) I remained a fervent Oiler fan (and season ticket holder) through the 80′s, 90′s and early 00′s until Lowe drove the franchise into the ditch in 2007.

7) At that point, i came to the conclusion that the Oilers would never have any success until the stink of Lowe was removed from the team. (is it me? Yes, Kevin IT IS YOU)
    (Sheldon Souray is a friend of my family)

8) I was right.

9) In the absence of an actual NHL team to cheer for, I slipped into a regime (coma) of taking a broader view and becoming fan of successful management teams. (Lowe and MacT do not qualify)

10) Wally Buono, (a neighbour), John Hufnagel and Dave Dickinson are to Ed Hervey and Kavis Reed what Ken Holland is to Kevin Lowe.

11) I’ve had the opportunity to spend some time with Kavis Reed through a mutual friend who played for the Eskimos and my impression is that he is incredibly arrogant and has no business being a head coach in the CFL.

12) GO, STAMPS, GO!

25. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Every hockey fan should read this:

26. Lucinius says:

I’ve largely stopped following the CFL these past few years. The Eskimos were just that bad (especially the coaching; the past 4 years or so the Eskimos have loved their coaches who throw games down the drain with decisions worthy of a brain dead sea urchin) and despite the CFL being the better game compared to the NFL I can’t stomach the league as a whole as it just reeks of being a Mickey Mouse Jr. operation.

Don’t follow the NFL at all (and never have or will) due to it being an inferior product in spite of vastly superior talent and dumb rules (four downs alone ensures I will never enjoy an NFL game).

DSF; the entire Souray affair was atrociously handled by both Souray and the Oilers (worse by the Oilers, granted, but Souray is far from being blameless), and I was never a huge fan of him personally — met him twice and he was one of the largest douches I’ve ever met that was a professional athlete — and by far the worst personality of any Oiler I’ve ever met. I was actually pleased to see his feathers ruffled as he was on his way out. The man deserved a lot of the bad press/feelings sent his way.

27. gvblackhawk says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Even if you think Kevin Lowe is the biggest piece of garbage on Earth, that is not a legitimate reason for divorcing yourself from cheering for the Oilers. The majority of fans agree with your anti-Lowe sentiment and would like see him removed, but that does not mean that we stopped cheering for the team! That’s lunacy!

Where I’m from, you stick with your team during the good times and bad (especially the bad). There is nothing wrong with calling the team out if any aspect of the organization is failing. In fact, it’s a respectable thing to do for any passionate fan. But to stop cheering for a team altogether because you don’t like one member of the organization? That’s….incomprehensible to me.

Lowe is just a man and a terrible hockey executive. He is not the Edmonton Oilers. Go down to your local mall and buy a nice, new #10 Yakupov jersey and start cheering. Your heart wants to love again, DSF.

Go Riders!

28. Bank Shot says:

Yakupov is just an incredible talent. It wouldn’t surprise me if he leads the Oilers in scoring 3 of the next 5 seasons. Just set him up with a playmaker and watch him boom pucks into the net.

29. Numenius says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Interesting. So you’re more of a disaffected and bitter Oilers fan than a Canucks fan. Would you come back to the OIlers if Lowe were replaced with someone competent? Or would McT have to go too?

30. mumbai max says:

Interesting. The high water mark for even strength goals is Eberle at 25. I am guessing that his shooting percentage was pretty high that year too!

31. Bruce McCurdy says:

Dead Cat Bounce: (Guyle Fielder was likely the best hockey player never to have an NHL career)

Despite his lack of NHL pedigree, IMO a strong case could be made for Fielder for the Hall of Fame.

32. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Numenius:
    Dead Cat Bounce,

Your characterization is pretty accurate.

Lowe, MacT, Smith and Buchberger are all part of the “Stink” ®

I don’t want to include Eakins yet because the man hasn’t had a chance and that would be unfair but, in reality, he has never won anything at any level so I’m not optimistic.

I expect, if the Oilers will be successful in the future, Katz will have to cut off the head of the snake.

Given his predilection for hiring or keeping the Boys on the Bus Boys, we’re a few years away from that point.

Want to bet Dallas, Colorado and/or Columbus soar (with exceptional management teams in place) while the Oilers continue to struggle?

33. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Bruce McCurdy: Guyle Fielder was a wonderful player. Just tore up the old WHL for years. 21 seasons, 1771 points. 1380 assists in 1368 WHL games.

Despite his lack of NHL pedigree, IMO a strongcase could be made for Fielder for the Hall of Fame.

Just a marvellous player.

Fielder was one of my father in law’s favorite players. He followed him when he played for the Lethbridge Native Sons (politcally correct!) this was in the 1950s. His favorite NHL team was Detroit, so when Fielder got the call he was pretty pleased (this was 57-58). Fielder played 6 games on a line with Howe, didn’t post one point!

A few years later, Punch Imlach took the trade to North Dakota to attempt to sign him, but Fielder was making good dollar in the minors and didn’t want to go back again. Imlach left empty handed, but stopped in Regina and took another train to Saskatoon, then drove to Prince Albert.

Where he signed Johnny Bower. Or so the story goes.

35. BlacqueJacque says:

I always feel as if Rob Schremp should be included in these ES scoring results, just as a sort of guideline about guys who score too much on the power play.

Huge, huge arguments with some poster on oilfans about why scoring predominantly with a man advantage is not a plus for a player.

In his draft season, Schremp:

63, 14-14-28 EV (.444)

Incredible.

37. unca miltie says:

How many people knew that Dane Byers and Guyle Fielder are from the same hometown . Fielder is a legend.