INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY

When you don’t know what you don’t know, some of us shut up until the knowledge arrives but most start tap dancing. I’ve waited as long as possible for the knowledge to arrive, now it’s time to start tap dancing.

azorcan

For the Edmonton Oilers, Anton Belov went from unknown to greater unknown during a time when we’re furiously gathering information on all of the other new hires. A month ago, I couldn’t really tell you the difference between Corey Potter and Philip Larsen, now it’s obvious to all. A month ago, it wasn’t completely unreasonable to suggest Nick Schultz could be heading out of training camp before opening night 2013-14. Now? I think he’s going to be on the third pairing until at least the deadline.

CURRENT PROJECTED PAIRINGS

1. Ference-Schultz: I think they’re going to play more minutes overall (including PK and PP)
  2. Smid-Petry: We don’t know how much ‘hard matching’ coach Eakins will do, but this will be the shutdown duo
  3. N Schultz-????: Lordy. There’s a long list of candidates, but the one who is emerging won’t turn 19 until February.

SEARCHING FOR CLUES

us2

If you asked me today–based on merit–to rank the rest of the contending blue, it would look like this (remember, this isn’t a guess about who makes it, this is a reflection of current training camp body of work):

• #6 Darnell Nurse: Seems crazy, right? Honestly, he’s been outstanding. They have to play him again Saturday or next week, and then send him the hell down.
  • #7 Anton Belov: He hasn’t gained any ground, but hasn’t lost any either. This is the nature of this race.
  • #8 Phil Larsen: He’s looked good to my eye, I think Larsen has a very good chance to make the team now. Mobile, has NHL experience and you can use him on the PP. Plus, he’s right handed.
  • #9 Taylor Fedun: We know he’s outside the top 8D, coach Eakins said as much. On merit? I have him 9th.
  • #10 Martin Marincin: Based on viewing and reading reports, I’d have him in the mix for an NHL job this season.
  • #11 Oscar Klefbom: I liked his most recent game, but as of now he’s well down my list. Plays a more subtle game perhaps best seen over a period of games, training camp isn’t his best showcase.
  • #12 Corey Potter: Like Belov, not playing puts him ahead of some others.
  • #13 Brad Hunt: The new Ruotsalainen? Not quite, but there’s clearly some ability here. I can see him getting into NHL games. Seriously.
  • #14 Denis Grebeshkov: The one thing I know I know about this defense is Grebeshkov isn’t ready for an NHL season. Visual plus reports tell us that much. So, if he plays a lot between now and opening night we’ll know Grebs is in the mix (I think he makes the team). Based on proving himself this camp? Well outside good enough.

THE CENTER

us3

I know others see a center emerging, I can’t find him. Will Acton looks okay, I’d say he’s closer than Lander to winning the job, but he’s no screaming hell either. I’m also uncertain Arcobello stays with the big club deep into next week, and Andrew Miller has as much chance of making this team as Arthur Miller.

I think they make a trade (imagine! me predicting a trade!) for Zack Smith in Ottawa or Justin Abdelkader. They are not good enough at the position based on what we’ve seen–UNLESS they plan on moving Taylor Hall to center for the season.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

us4

Today on the show, 10am Team 1260, guests include:

• Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports.
  • Andreas Morse from FC Edmonton. A big weekend for the Eddies!
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings PBP man. Oil Kings season gets underway tonight!
  • Jungle Jim Hunter, we’ll talk about a kid in Burnaby who didn’t play hockey for a winter because his family couldn’t afford it. He made out okay!

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. Oh, and if you’d like to advertise with LDWLT drop me an email (under contact) and we’ll talk!

113 Responses to "INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY"

1. BlacqueJacque says:

I never liked Creepy Baldwin. Decent movie, though, but doesn’t hold up as nicely as I thought it did.

I’m glad you think Ryan Jones is capable of second line LW duties and Sam Gagner won’t mind playing third line. Like Grabo. Offensive talent loves being in a checking role.

BlacqueJacque:
    I never liked Creepy Baldwin.Decent movie, though, but doesn’t hold up as nicely as I thought it did.

I’m glad you think Ryan Jones is capable of second line LW duties and Sam Gagner won’t mind playing third line.Like Grabo.Offensive talent loves being in a checking role.

The key to the season is Ryan Jones. Everyone knows that, right?

3. BlacqueJacque says:

Watch him score the GWG at the end of the season that puts us into the playoffs.

4. sliderule says:

If you base it on play Nurse would be on team for at least nine games.

If you base it on his body he should already be back in junior.

Please oilers send him to junior so he can develop his body and game .

BlacqueJacque:

It could happen. He’ll certainly be in the offensive zone a lot that game.

6. BrazilianOil says:

Who or what pays the Smith value trade?

7. Ice Sage says:

BlacqueJacque,

That’s a movie that can never be as enjoyable as the first time, given the last 5 minutes, but my teenaged lads loved the lineup sequence and often fight for my truck keys in role. Thanks for the Benicio del Toro bookends, LT.

8. Radman says:

Will the RNH deal done, if I were MacT my next target might be Petry ahead of JShultz.
    The guy has arrived me thinks. Maybe a Smid template deal ?

9. BlacqueJacque says:

Ice Sage,

It’s not even the ending that changes it, it’s just… knowing more about the criminal underworld and the criminal justice process now than I used to… it all seems so much more contrived. But I’m a notoriously harsh critic of movies. Wasn’t particularly impressed with The Dark Knight, for example.

10. bookje says:

Nurse is going to junior. MacT has enough defenseman without him and he understands that young D need time to mature.

Grebs will not make the team. He has demonstrated that he is really not a good defenseman anymore. Others are better.

Belov may go down to the AHL, but will be back within a month.

Tappity Tap Tap..

11. bookje says:

BlacqueJacque,

12. 719 says:

I noticed the Pens are over the cap right now. They have a pretty good 3rd line centre in Jokinen. Any chance we could get Sutter?

Sutter for Lander, a defensive prospect (Musil or Gernat) and a lower round draft pick seems to make sense. Lander can slide into their 4th line and Sutter can slide into our 4th line. The trade would make the Pens cap compliant. Trade seems to work for both sides imho. Just a thought.

13. gd says:

Nurse needs to be sent back soon. There are so many examples of young Dmen being ruined by being rushed. Just tell him to look at the difference in Pietrangelo’s contract to Bogosian’s contract to point out the value of patient development.

There has to be reasonable 6/7 dmen between Grebs/Belov/Fedun/Potter/Larsen. Let Klefbom get his 40+ games in the AHL and Nurse get his year to dominant the OHL and star in the WJ.

14. BlacqueJacque says:

bookje,

Thank you! I was afraid my post might be the start of a flame war.

15. Jesse says:

bookje: BlacqueJacque, The Dark Knight was full of plot holes and a lack of character logic. There were some great scenes and I guess that was enough to sell to the masses of people that loved it.

Sad that Grebs isn’t showing well.

Happy that the GM has enough Dmen in camp that it won’t matter too much.

Everyone is too fucking giddy over Nurse. Get him the hell away from Edmonton before the coach and GM fall in love and he starts in the NHL before he should.

Also,

I trust the coach to use Jones properly and also keep him accountable in terms of playing the system and back checking properly.

Guys like Jones cherry pick because they can.

They can because the coach lets him out the door for the next shift or gets in the line up in the next game and doesn’t pay the price for it.

Eakins will make him pay the price, and I expect a guy like Jones to fall in line quickly.

This coach has options and will use them when players are not doing what they are directed to do.

17. rickithebear says:

//I think they make a trade (imagine! me predicting a trade!) for Zack Smith in Ottawa//
    on tsn game last night, they mentioned Smith being moved to wing cause of other centers ability on PK.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“When you don’t know what you don’t know, some of us shut up until the knowledge arrives but most start tap dancing. I’ve waited as long as possible for the knowledge to arrive, now it’s time to start tap dancing…… For the Edmonton Oilers, Anton Belov went from unknown to greater unknown during a time when we’re furiously gathering information on all of the other new hires.”

I read this with great anticipation. I figured either I missed a practice, a word of confidence from the coach, or you were going to tell us all how Belov showed up at your house to work out on your lawn… frankly, it’s a little anti-climactic.

——–
    “Andrew Miller has as much chance of making this team as Arthur Miller”

Just like we were the first team (IIRC) to have cheerleaders, we’d be the first team to have an “artist in residence” or a “poet laureate.” We’d be the most dramatic team in the league and on the cutting edge. Every team would race to sign-up deceased playwrights.

“Tennessee Williams signs with the Blackhawks after intensive courting by the Preds sending the free agency market into a frenzy.”

19. stevezie says:

719,

Isn’t Sutter too good for our 4th?

20. Hall Awaits says:

Stauffer mentioned Brian Boyle yesterday as a potential 4th line C. Could wrangle him free if they wanna get Stepan done and need to lose some cash.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I think they make a trade”

What about waiver wire, free agent signing or Euro pickup?

Is Thoresen still available, does he have an out from his contract? He’s already got 6 points in 5 games

I still like that idea of Count Kola. If memory serves he can’t get out of his contract this year, but may be available next:

22. BlacqueJacque says:

Jesse: Interested to hear your take on how there was plot holes and lack of character logic. I’ve always enjoyed it as an excited but certainly flawed movie, curious about hearing another take.

That’s a good start.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If Hall goes to C permanently, with RNH on the 2 line… two questions:

1. does Gags move to wing?

2. if not, Gags at 3C… Gordon is pushed to 4C…

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: It could happen. He’ll certainly be in the offensive zone a lot that game.

on his ass?

Ice Sage: Rooting for Hunt – Tory Krug proved that quickness is as important as size for a D.

BOS also proved you need a lot of D to make a deep run… we should get comfortable with all of these guys being called on, regardless of who we rank in which slots.

1. I’m not suggesting Hall move to C forever, just saying that’s the only way depth will work.
    2. Flaws in movies sometimes ruin the plot, but The Usual Suspects is a great movie. If you don’t agree, cool. However, I’ve done an internal office poll and feel pretty confident it was enjoyed by most.

26. BlacqueJacque says:

It’s a good movie, no doubt. I think at this point we’re picking more on The Dark Knight, which clearly has more plot issues.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On Nurse, Brownlee has been pushing the charge to give him his 9 games now.

Not to pick on him, just to point to a noise-maker in this regard.

But a big part of the argument isn’t that Nurse is the best player right now, but that Nurse will somehow be hurt (psychologically) by being told he isn’t good enough. Part of it seems to be the idea that Nurse will see himself succeeding at camp and be confused and distraught to be sent down.

This, frankly, makes no sense to me.

The whole idea is packed with bad arguments: chase shiny objects and assume everyone is emotionally fragile. Two terrible ways to proceed.

28. TheOtherJohn says:

If J Schultz gets meaningful minutes on the PK it will not end well. Give him all the PP he can handle. Expect at some point Eakins will explain to Schultz that jumping into the play is something you do occasionally

29. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think the psychological argument is more a matter of the player thinking he was sent down unfairly, if he feels he was clearly above the competition in terms of skill. That can lead to some unnecessary resentment.

To me, that’s not a very good argument, because odds are over 9 games, Nurse is going to be exposed a bit. He won’t be consistent. Even if, by some miracle, he is effective all 9 games, he’ll also get run into the boards by 220lb men with man strength. Then you make the case for Nurse going down to junior and tell him “look, that was just 9 games – there’s another 73 to go. We don’t want you to have a 6 year career, we want you healthy and effective for longer.”

Ultimately though, I wouldn’t keep Nurse into the regular season because it means sending someone down. I’m fairly confident that whether it’s Belov or Schultzo, either would get picked up on waivers.

Nurse will get his games in, and they’ll likely come as a result of injury. AFAIK he can have his 9 games at any point in the season.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

With Nolan movies you are torn… they rely so heavily on their plot devices, which are often half-baked, that they often leave you more bemused than amused.

That said, part of the movie going experience is a certain suspension of disbelief. There is a cinematic contract between audience and film-maker:

The film-maker will try to keep the narrative clean enough to not over-tax your sense of credulity, or at the very least dazzle you with enough distraction that your sense of credulity takes the night off.

The audience member will try to give in to the movie’s premise as far as possible.

Nolan often gets carried away with himself. Sometimes it is very entertaining, sometimes silly, sometimes both.

whatever, I liked the Batman movies… but I also think Batman is the best character the West has produced since Faust. Still… Burton’s films are infinitely superior and only gain with age.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

1. I’m still curious about Gags and Gordon and their future over the course of the year. you aren’t obiged to answer these thinking out loud questions.
    2. agreed. It’s fun. A certain kind of movie is ruined for people once they’ve experienced the “plot twist” or “big reveal”… I think because they see the film as a puzzle more than a piece of entertainment. I think certain particularly bad directors cater to the puzzle crowd… M. Night comes to mind. terrible films that really falter majestically on second viewing.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque,

I’d save his 9 games for next season before I send him to SWE for the year to come back and push for a job in 15-16

33. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I thought they were allowed 9 per season?

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I thought they were allowed 9 per season?

Have to ask speeds, but I was under the impression 9 total NHL games burns a year off the ole’ ELC.

35. Andropod says:

If, as mentioned in a prior blog, other first round D picks went directly to the NHL and prospered, then how is Nurse different from those players?
    Or is it just to get an extra “man year” or two on his ELC?

36. LMHF#1 says:

I don’t see how one game vaults Nurse to the top of that list.

37. Andropod says:

LMHF#1,

But if he continues to perform like this then surely he will play better defense from the beginning than all but one of the last place D contenders?

38. jb says:

Is anyone betting against the Hall at C experiment? Despite the obvious brilliance he possesses, I was always pretty disappointed by his general hockey sense and playmaking abilities.. That is until he went to OKC, said he was going to focus on his playmaking, then comes back to the NHL and we see his overall game pick up + the assist totals skyrocket. Hall will likely become one beast of a Centermen. Ideally he takes on toughs with Hemsky all year.

I agree with most, I want to see Nurse debut in 2 years, while one of Klefbom/Marincin breaks in next season. With those football genes, you’d think Nurse would have to be some sort of mutant to not fill out that frame. I just don’t see this guy failing long term. Can’t think of a single reason to rush him.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Every damn time LT has this Lansky fellow on… I hate it.

I love that he’s all in with the Leafs this year though… he’s going to be very disappointed.

That said… on topic: Raymond instead of Jones and Ranger instead of Grebs would be interesting.

40. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Alex Pietrangelo played 17 games over 2 years without burning a year off his ELC. It did, however, cost him a fair shot at the Calder Trophy because the rules that were written in the Young Jean Beliveau era have never been updated.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Have you seen Step Brothers?”

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Ahhh… once again memory fails.

Thanks. I doubt they care about the Calder. We’ll never get it and a D has a tiny shot anyway.

I still think they should send him down asap just to get the shiny thing out of town, but a couple of games wouldn’t faze me… I’m less worried about Nurse and his play than mgt. decisions.

43. Andropod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Not that it matters much in the scheme of things, because very few people have the inside track on this and I am not one of them, but I can see them being torn between the shininess of the player and the prospect of him, with his boy’s frame, having his career cut short by injury through heavy contact or fighting with the Smacks of the NHL.

44. delooper says:

LMHF#1:
    I don’t see how one game vaults Nurse to the top of that list.

The nature of the blogging game is to get excited over the latest information. If people only talked about the things they **know**, my-oh-my blogging would be infrequent and boring.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“How could you pick one over the other… true fans don’t do that of, of VH”

46. Colonel Obvious says:

Andropod:
    Or is it just to get an extra “man year” or two on his ELC?

I’m not sure there are any examples of 18 year old defensemen prospering immediately in the NHL. Maybe, Cam Fowler but nobody is talking about him as a star.

But the real point is that keeping Nurse costs you a player and a year of player control, while not keeping Nurse costs you nothing. It’s a lose-lose situation all based on the highly dubious notion that he would play better over the course of an entire season than, say, Larsen.

That makes keeping Nurse a lose-lose-lose situation. It would be a triply wrong headed decision.

But this is nothing to worry about because the Oilers aren’t that stupid. They didn’t bring in all these defensemen in order to keep Nurse. It won’t happen.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I like that the cultural imagination of these “film fans” extends to movies released in the last decade.

Greatest movie ever? One of the last 4 movies I watched.

48. delooper says:

Colonel Obvious:
    But this is nothing to worry about because the Oilers aren’t that stupid.

I don’t think “the power of positive thinking” has any telekinetic abilities. At best it just works on oneself.

49. Mr DeBakey says:

LMHF#1: I don’t see how one game vaults Nurse to the top of that list.

Exactly
    A good pre-season game against coasting NHLers and Wannabees is no reason to blow an ELC year, damage team depth and put an under-weight Nurse at risk.

Playing him nine games or one game will not speed up his development.
    Will staying with the OIlers this season make Nurse a difference maker sooner?
    Send him down.

There was this exact same discussion about Klefbom.

Shiny Things!

50. DeadmanWaking says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

What’s Happened To M. Night Shyamalan?

The Sixth Sense irked me, but I was also in a bad mood that day. Every camera angle seemed contrived. Haven’t seen another film by this director since, not that I even knew who he was. I was half in, half out of The Usual Suspects. As Ebert recounts, we’re dealing with “a Hungarian mobster so fearsome that when some bad guys threaten his family to get to him, he kills his family himself”.

Ax Crazy

Note that in cases like The Joker, this trope does not really apply; and it probably also doesn’t apply for anyone who adheres to Chaotic Evil or similar alignments, but who is otherwise quite sane and conscious of what they are doing. The single main reason is because your common psychopath has a much lighter Super Weight than most supervillains do. The Joker is a legitimate threat to Batman, but if faced by someone like Charles Manson, Batman would probably just laugh.

I suppose the chaotic-evil, cold-blooded, ax-crazy is easier to take seriously if you don’t regard God as the most petulant character in the entirety of the old testament, who really loses it whenever the tiny ants get into a jar of peanut butter he left lying around with no lid. I just don’t dig the petulant mighty. We seem to understand that wealthy people have first world problems. But then if you go up another rung or five, the superior being has regressed to the mental structure of Idi Amin.

I watched a bit of that gravelly Nimoy voice-over from Lady in the Water. Unbelievable. Lobotomy by finger paint. Another minute of that and I’d be reaching for the 180-proof brain bleach: The Passion of Joan of Arc. This isn’t something I’m desperately eager to watch, so I choose my movies carefully enough to not cross paths with M. Night, if that intro is in any way representative.

It’s not a lot of fun to be left pushing your brains back up your nose.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is interesting:

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    Projected #Oilers D for tomorrow along with Belov –> RT @Bob_Stauffer Nurse, Petry, Hunt, Fedun, Grebeshkov also out with early group.

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    And up front –> RT @Bob_Stauffer Smyth-Hall-Hemsky, Perron-Gagner-Eberle, Jones-Acton-Brown, Hamilton-Khaira-Yakupov

Belov in. Hunt and Nurse with a second straight look see. Khaira gets his first game and Yak on the 4th line. I think if those lines are right the 3rd and 4th might be inverted, or at least they should be.

52. BlacqueJacque says:

DeadmanWaking,

Oh man, that reminds me of the time my religion teacher (a priest) in Poland threw chalk straight between my eyes when I pointed out that Old Testament God was like a petulant child throwing hissy fits, and New Testament God was now this loving, caring, all-forgiving being. My mom got called in over that. One of two times I got in trouble with m Polish school. Anyway, his aim was unbelievable. I was at the back row, he was facing the board writing something down and I’d just finished explaining my position, he turns around, whips it and WHAM. Right between the eyes.

53. Ice Sage says:

BlacqueJacque: DeadmanWaking, Oh man, that reminds me of the time my religion teacher (a priest) in Poland threw chalk straight between my eyes when I pointed out that Old Testament God was like a petulant child throwing hissy fits, and New Testament God was now this loving, caring, all-forgiving being. My mom got called in over that. One of two times I got in trouble with m Polish school.The other time was when I put hydrogen sulfide capsules under the legs of my chair, so when we sat down after the teacher arrived (yes, we stood until then), they crushed. The smell was unbelievable. OMG. Kids were gagging, coughing, choking, tears were running down eyes, the teacher REFUSED to let us go until we begged. We had class outside.Then she threatened to fail everybody until the culprit confessed. I didn’t want to, but the girls were convinced she’d do it and pressured me into admitting it. I was a fucking hero though, everyone hated her. She’d yell at us, insult us, humiliate us, make us struggle to answer questions on the board … awww, man, it was good to hate her. I miss those days.

Fight the Power, BJ! And speaking of plot contrivances, why didn’t Mrs. Bitschky just identify whose chair triggered the weapon of mass olfaction? Caught up in the drama, no doubt – the making of an Oiler fan…

54. BlacqueJacque says:

Well, you’ve got 20+ kids sitting down all at the same time, and she had no idea what triggered it. Plus, they were glass capsules, so they shattered into little pieces that were hard to see. On top of that, I was smart enough to kick the shards around me around to other tables while everyone was gagging and choking.

That was probably the first time I realized I had a problem with authority, and that I was smart enough to get back at it without getting caught. Too bad I got bolder and dumber as I grew up.

Her name was Polanska. I don’t remember the priest’s name, but it was hilarious seeing my mom’s reaction when she was told she should be punishing me. “He threw chalk at his head! He could have taken out an eye!” “…but your son was talking back, he’s a blasphemer!” Then it became an argument and I forget the rest.

Polanska had me hauled in front of the school district directorate, wanting me expelled. When I told them what I did, apparently a couple of them laughed. I don’t remember because I was so stressed, but my mom told me about it several times years later. The only part I remember is sitting outside the office on a bench, by myself, during class – a weird moment because nobody else was around. Even when I think about it now, I remember it as an out of body experience. I always see myself in third person in that memory. So much stress! I was such a good kid, a keener in school, until that day. To be threatened with expulsion was horrifying.

55. denny33 says:

BlacqueJacque,

I agree Nurse should be sent down but it is strange when a 19 year old kid shows more than the 5 or 6 guys competing for the final roster spot.

On draft day they said Josh Morrissey ( Jets 1st round pick this past June ) and Darnell Nurse were the top pairing or maybe they said shut down pairing on Team Canada….

Ironic – Josh Morrissey was one of the best players on the ice for the Jets last night and they fielded a high ratio of their starters…

They are in the same boat as the Oilers – Josh Morrissey and Darnell Nurse far outshine what Winnipeg and Edmonton have for their bottom pairings.

Great problem to have…but hard to send a kid down who is starting to be – clearly – better than some of the guys still in camp.

I just feel that Nurse – even at his tender age – is better than what we are going to play at the 5th, 6th or especially 7th spot. But at the same time I am not willing to put him in at 19.

Pretty pumped about the future lineup when Nurse cracks this club in a few years and hopefully Klefbom later this year…

56. Zipdot says:

Man, I’ve got to think Potter is higher up than where you’ve got him. I’d put Potter 1st (on the list that begins with 8). He’s an NHLer, for all intents and purposes, and none of the others are.

57. nelson88 says:

BlacqueJacque,

Good stories!

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

denny33: I don’t think Nick Schultz can be a 3rd pairing guy on a top team at his age. And I have no idea about Larsen or Belov.

I disagree. For me it isn’t Nultz’ play that is so much the concern as his cap hit. That’s a lot of bread for a 3rd pairing guy.

59. hunter1909 says:

Movie talk, reminiscing of school daze…

Where’s Rob Schremp playing this season?

60. hunter1909 says:

In 2008-09, Schremp scored at a .75 ppg clip for coach MacT.

61. Bulging Twine says:

I like your list Lowetide. My tap dance list is very similar *subject to change*. I have Hunt higher – #9. *only seen him play one game*
    Get to see Belov on Saturday. Is it his first smaller ice game ever?

62. stevezie says:

DeadmanWaking,

Lady in the Water was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and like many here I have seen a lot.

What made it so disappointing wasn’t just its badness, it was how good some of the writer/director’s earlier movies had been.

I loved Signs, and Unbreakable is one of the best and most unique superhero movies of all time. The 6th sense did some things very well and (though I doubt for the better) changed the landscape of movie-making.

Since then? Since then? What? A career that makes the post cup run Oilers look successful.

63. Bulging Twine says:

Get to see Fedun play Saturday finally. Let’s see where he fits on the depth chart.

64. BlacqueJacque says:

stevezie,

If nothing else, at least shamammahanjyan is consistent.

65. spoiler says:

The Sixth Sense changed the landscape of movie-making? I’d love to know in what way.

M. Night was so over his head directing that movie it was ridiculous. As DMW has pointed out, even the simple positioning of the camera was awful. That movie was shot at the level of film school. Which for Night, essentially it was.

I’m not sure he’s learned much from his experience though.

66. Bulging Twine says:

Khaira gets a shot with Yakupov.

Eakins puts Hamilton on what I assume is the 3rd line and Jones under him on the 4th. He is giving Hamilton every chance to succeed.

67. stevezie says:

spoiler,

68. "Steve Smith" says:

I have seen very few movies, but I have seen them a great many times.

69. spoiler says:

My two cents on Batman movies:

The Dark Knight is not a particularly cinematic movie. It strikes me as a comic book that found itself in a movie (virtually all the Marvel movies suffer from this same problem, which is incredibly disappointing to me, but I keep going and hoping). It is less a movie than a collection of storyboard panels (I’m looking at you Spielberg. Again.) However there are a couple of really neat bits of writing in it, particularly The Joker, who is watching Batman, and how he is providing films within the main film and “writing” the outcome of the main film, despite the actions of the other characters. Awesome double noir fold which is something important, and it allows Heath to overcome the rest of the film’s weaknesses..

I think Hollywood messed around with Nolan’s first Batman movie, as the set up (particularly the psychaedelic conceit) has dissonance with how the story plays out, so I’d probably give him a pass on that one.

The third movie is much more of a movie than the other two, and is a real achievement by Nolan. It has a couple of holes, but nothing on the order of most popcorn blockbusters.

Tim Burton… Burton isn’t so much a director as he is a production or art designer with a unique view or sensibility. He sometimes finds a sweet spot like “Ed Wood”, but his first Batman is even awful for production design. Burton is no idiot despite his limitations, and he fixes this with Batman Returns, which is a far better movie–from the sets to the story to the acting.

I should also note that in Dent’s office in Dark Knight, he has a bunch of files marked “Keyser Soze”!

Ruminate on that for a second, lol.

70. Lewis Grant says:

Romulus Apotheosis: If 2…. I foresee fans getting upset with 3M spent on our 4C and Gordon maybe struggling with Belanger disease: “I was promised 3C and you are giving me these scrubs to play with”

This is part of the reason we don’t have depth at centre, and hence, don’t win. David Bolland and Jarret Stoll and Rich Peverley (or Tyler Seguin, take your pick) were 4C on the last three Cup-winning teams.

I guess that’s why we need a culture change, where guys will buy into the good of the team. As for the fans, I don’t so much care if we pay our Cup-winning 4C $3M a year.

71. spoiler says:

stevezie: spoiler, The Sixth Sense sparked an explosion of “Creepy” movies. Not a slasher film, not even horror… just creepy movies. Keep in mind that The Sixth Sense cost next to nothing to make (apart from Willis’ salary) and became (at the time) on of the top ten highest grossing movies of all time. People are going to try to imitate that kind of success.So shortly thereafter we see Harrison and Michele in What Lie Beneath, Nicole Kidman in The Others, Keanu and Kate Blanchet in The GIft… Those are just the ones with stars. They were also countless cheaper movies with lesser knowns. Now you could say that there have always been supernatural thrillers, and sure, but we suddenly started to see a whole lot more of them. It was also interesting because these films went away from the special effects that were such a big deal at the time. Moody atmospheric supernatural thrillers without a lot of gore or special effects.It was like after Pulp Fiction you saw a dramatic rise of stylized action movies that tried to trun their leads into real “characters”. Snatch probably being the best on and Boondock Saints definitely being the worst. I’d rate it as the second worst movie of all time. (Batman and Robin, by the way. It doesn’t get worse.)

Agreed. But I’d hardly call the copycatting in which Hollywood has been engaging for decades, “landscape-changing”, but rather “expected”.

72. LMHF#1 says:

spoiler:

73. hunter1909 says:

LMHF#1: I’ve never understood why there are so many movies that go on pretty strong but have such an incredibly lame ending.

74. slopitch says:

Dark night has one of the best opening scenes of any movie. That and super troopers.

75. slopitch says:

And by night I mean Knight

76. spoiler says:

LMHF#1: How is a movie that kills off the main showpiece villain by “hey look, if we actually use a gun he dies” all that spectacular?I’ve never understood why there are so many movies that go on pretty strong but have such an incredibly lame ending.

I don’t think I called DKR “spectacular.”

And I think you are simplifying the ending a bit, plus I have already pointed out that the movie has its holes. But it has a whole bunch of good stuff going on too. If you were to not like any movie based on a few plot holes, very very very few good movies would exist. Particularly if you look at endings, which generally confound Hollywood (one of the joys of the Coen brothers is that they know how to end a movie). That said, endings are the hardest things to do and even harder to do right with Hollywood looking over your shoulder.

And my point about DKR being more of a movie is about the cinematic nature of the 3rd installment, which it has in spades over the first two. Some of the cinematic shorthand, particularly the romances, is as good as I have ever seen. It is a real pleasure to see understatements in a sea of excess. Another example: the prison is overdone excess, but the “test” is clean and simple and requires no exposition.

77. denny33 says:

stevezie,

Watched Roger Ebert review that movie and he obviously said it was terrible…but he spent the majority of the review trying to figure out how someone like Mr. Shyamalan could have been so, so, so terrible

78. spoiler says:

I like Fedun, but I can’t rank him ahead of Marinicin, Potter or Klefbom. I’d be surprised too if the OIlers are.

79. stevezie says:

spoiler,

I would agree its effect was felt more in the financial rather than the artistic centres of Hollywood, but the one feeds the other.

I don’t know how anyone could argue that Batman Returns the better Burton film (did you see it last week in the Garneau? I love catching old movies on the big screen again. Touch of Evil was great- I digress).

Batman Returns featured The Penguin running for mayor! After he arose from the sewers and bites a guy’s nose half off he is still a viable mayoral candidate. He orchestrates one of the dumbest frame-ups I’ve ever seen, and is undone by falling for the most obvious case of talking villain syndrome I could even imagine. Also, Batman kills people, Catwoman is PTSD vandal instead of a thief, Commissioner Gordon is incompetent…

It had great stuff in it for sure, Pfifer was great, Danny Elfman is amazing, the sets were better, the art direction…. it’s a Tim Burton movie. It looks, sounds and feels great while the story is secondary, or something even less than that. Burton makes scenes more than he makes movies. (He makes great scenes. “I’m Batman” is still the greatest moment in the history of movie Batman. )

Burton and Shyamalan are really good comparable in that they both do some things really well and some things incredibly badly and some things they don’t do at all. They’re like Darien Hatcher. The difference is Burton was able to spread his good and bad over his whole career- most of his movies are flawed but effective if you’re into that sort of thing.
    Shyamalan made three really good movies and then a bunch of crap. The Village is his only mixed movie. Maybe you could argue Signs.

It’s a shame we weren’t better under our top guys’ ELCs, but rookie maxes aren’t really “value” contracts anyway. We need cheap guys to dramatically outkick their coverage.

80. Andropod says:

I thought this was a hockey blog?

81. commonfan14 says:

stevezie: I’d rate it as the second worst movie of all time. (Batman and Robin, by the way. It doesn’t get worse.)

You need to check out M. Night’s “The Happening.”

82. Zipdot says:

spoiler: If you were to not like any movie based on a few plot holes, very very very few good movies would exist. Particularly if you look at endings, which generally confound Hollywood (one of the joys of the Coen brothers is that they know how to end a movie). That said, endings are the hardest things to do and even harder to do right with Hollywood looking over your shoulder.

I just watched The Bridges of Toko-Ri the other day. Great ending. And excellent for aircraft fans and in particular F9F Panther enthusiasts and aircraft carrier fans.

83. spoiler says:

MacT on McCowan’s radio show, playing on SN1 right now.

84. spoiler says:

Been asked about paying the kids long term for their potential.

85. hunter1909 says:

Zipdot: And excellent for aircraft fans and in particular F9F Panther enthusiasts and aircraft carrier fans.

Aircraft carriers have fans??

86. spoiler says:

hunter1909: I had the most incredible awesome parallel between this and the Edmonton Oilers, then the doorbell rang and the idea left me.

Did the postman ring twice?

87. commonfan14 says:

stevezie: I don’t know how anyone could argue that Batman Returns the better Burton film

Agreed. And you didn’t even mention the penguins carrying out DeVito like little pallbearers after he dies, or Keaton’s massive amounts of eye shadow magically disappearing when he pulls the cowel off.

I did enjoy it every time Christopher Walken got to say the name Chip though.

88. hunter1909 says:

Ok, why even cast Keaton, who’s jawline looks totally too weak, aside from his creep quotient to play Batman?

Oh yeah. They figure he plays a good Bruce Wayne.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909:
    spoiler,

Police raid.

Call Northside 777, or failing that, Dial 1119

90. delooper says:

hunter1909: Aircraft carriers have fans??

And air conditioning.

91. spoiler says:

Not much said by MacT. He rambled on quite a bit, eliminating the possibility of any other questions.

1. Last years stats were affected by injury and playing for three different teams in essentially three different leagues
    2. RNH will be a top 10 boxcars player inside 2-3 years
    3. Looking into the deeper [stats] reveals a much better player than the boxcars show
    4. Very low maintenance player and person. Driven, mature attitude
    5. Same pedigree as Hall and Ebs, so why not treat him the same way?
    6. Building a relationship with this player and extending organizational goodwill and loyalty in return for the same from the player

92. hunter1909 says:

delooper,

It’s like taking a knife to a gunfight around here.

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Burton’s Batman is one of my all time favorites. It’s a masterpiece.

I don’t think Burton and M. Night are good comparables. That loser Baz Luhrmann is much better.

Both are arguably more visual stylists than storytellers. But whereas Baz can’t get over himself, tripping constantly over himself in fact, Burton manages to eek out very compelling stories and interesting, fully realized (not all the time) characters.

From Pee Wee to Ed Wood Burton has a strong track record of fun, interesting films with a consistent pacing, character development and a whole lot of movie magic. Big Fish is also a good return to form. Most else is crap.

Baz Luhrmann needs to reinvent the musical properly in the Busby Berkeley mould.

94. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Are you kidding? The office handles legalities.

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Are you kidding? The office handles legalities.

See if June has checked on your Double Indemnity clause.

96. hunter1909 says:

SCHREMP UPDATE: Switzerland, where he’s already managed to score 1 goal so far in 3 games.

97. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: See if June has checked on your Double Indemnity clause.

That’s handled by The Wizard.

98. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Lol… I’m not going to go there, as Luhrmann, unlike Burton, is truly amazing.

But I do agree with your use of the word “eek”.

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909: That’s handled by The Wizard.

Not the Wiz?

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Lol… I’m not going to go there, as Luhrmann, unlike Burton, is truly amazing.

But I do agree with your use of the word “eek”.

haha.

I wonder about that Venn Diagram of Oiler and Luhrmann fans.

101. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Not the Wiz?

Speaking of, watched that Pepsi commercial last week for the first time. Scary stuff on the soon-to-begone hair, might as well be lighter fluid.

102. jake70 says:

I had that yellow Batman and Robin pencil case for most of my elementary years…lol.

The PTS Roundtable with McCowan, Friedman, Brunt and Shannon just had a segment on RNH and the cap generally. The feeling I got is they think it’s overall not a bad move, feeling the cap may be 80 million before you can blink. Not like Dreger on Thats Hockey the other night – Gino Reda was setting up the piece, Dreger was literally squirming in his chair to give his 2 cents most of it negative tone. “where does it end!!?” – just worry about your Leafs Dreger.

103. bookje says:

Andropod:
    I thought this was a hockey blog?

You must be new – just wait until we begin discussing Coasean Economic Theory. Did you know Coase died just a few weeks ago. Poor guy, he was only 102.

104. stevezie says:

spoiler: Lol… I’m not going to go there, as Luhrmann, unlike Burton, is truly amazing.

105. spoiler says:

Per TSN, Steve Smith on Nurse:

“He’s raw and he’s got some steps to take to get the NHL level, but I have to tell you we’re really happy with what we’ve seen of him so far,” said Smith.

I too, think it is safe to say Nurse is headed back to Junior.

I think the issue with Nurse isn’t defense, which is usually the case with young blueliners, but developing better offensive skills. He’ll find that development much easier against OHL competition than NHL.

106. commonfan14 says:

spoiler,

I don’t doubt that the plan is to send him down, but I think that was the plan with Nuge too until he made it impossible with this pre- and early-season play.

Like LT says, better send him away while they can,

107. spoiler says:

stevezie: But what about Australia? It took all my resolve not to throw my coke at the screen.

Has some good and bad… I far more willing to watch an interesting failure that takes risks and comes with the sorts of things that Baz can bring to a film, than a competent formula success that explores little and pushes no boundaries, but is easy to watch and allow one’s emotions to get entangled with it.

Jesus, just the scale Baz invokes in “Australia” is amazing. Throwing away the shoes? Another deft touch. Mapping Oz to Aus? And thus Western singing to lucid abo dream-walking, the conflicting notions of home… all pretty intelligent. And that’s not even getting into the way he leverages genres or how he can burrow the story-teller into the story… multiple story-tellers in this case.

But agreed, there’s some real bad in this movie too… the shape of the thing seems completely wrong. The adult actors are wooden and can’t provide the depth the folds of the story require. Financiers messed with the production. There’s lots of stuff wrong that makes it a difficult movie to enjoy on its surface.

108. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: haha.I wonder about that Venn Diagram of Oiler and Luhrmann fans.He’s on my list of irritating talents as I imagine Burton is for you. People you respect for their talent but couldn’t give a crap about. Actually, maybe you don’t respect Burton, haha.

Lol, that would be interesting to see!

IMHO, Burton is Disney to Luhrmann’s Pixar. The difference between “Tangled” and “Brave”.

109. spoiler says:

;o)

110. stevezie says:

spoiler: Apologies to all of LT’s wonderful audience bored with the movie talk. I keep trying to switch back to hockey, lol, but just when I thought I was out, they keep pulling me back in.

I feel the same way- I don’t want to keep talking about movies on a hockey blog, but… Man was I disappointed by Brave. Still, as a general rule, Pixar is probably the most reliable studio in Hollywood.

I guess even Lou Lamerillo signs Clowe to five years every now and then.

See what I did? See how I brought it back to hockey? Everyone happy?

111. Colonel Obvious says:

The first five minutes of Australia are the worst five minutes I have ever watched. Can’t speak to the rest because I turned it off. Best decision I ever made. “Wooden” is far too kind a description of what I saw. It was like watching a bad SNL skit.

112. stevezie says:

Colonel Obvious,

You could have bought and sold Bre-X with perfect timing and I would still agree with your superlative.

113. Andropod says:

bookje: You must be new – just wait until we begin discussing Coasean Economic Theory.Did you know Coase died just a few weeks ago.Poor guy, he was only 102.

Learn something new every day, eh.