KLEFBOM INJURY UPDATE

The Edmonton Oilers have an Oscar Klefbom update on their site. It looks like the organization is following concussion protocol very closely, which is good news but will definitely impact the IR this season and beyond. As for Klefbom, he’s saying all the right things.

• Klefbom: “I felt good. We just wanted to make sure I didn’t have any symptoms. I feel very good right now.”

Klefbom is considered “in the mix” for NHL employment this season, but it’s more likely he at least starts the season in Oklahoma City. I imagine he’ll get a ‘rocking chair’ assignment in his NHL pre-season debut, similar to Darnell Nurse and his introduction alongside Andrew Ference last night. Klefbom says in the interview he doesn’t know when he’ll play, but a good bet would be this week (the Oilers have three games scheduled).

The Oilers D looks fairly set 1-5 (Smid, Petry, Ference & the Schultz boys) but there appears to be some fluidity to the 5-9 rotation because of Visa problems (Belov) and inconsistent play (Grebeshkov, Larsen). It isn’t all good news for Klefbom though, as Martin Marincin and Brandon Davidson are showing well early.

Oscar Klefbom

56 Responses to "KLEFBOM INJURY UPDATE"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“It isn’t all good news for Klefbom though, as Martin Marincin and Brandon Davidson are showing well early.”

Fedun too.

I still think the instinct that says give the NHL experienced players the job and let the AHLers work, work, work to force the issue is right.

On Klefbom… do we even know if he received a “concussion” yet? at the moment I’m still hoping we are at the over-cautious stage and it’s nothing.

2. striatic says:

any word on when Belov will show up, or is he still circling around in international waters?

3. hunter1909 says:

Another reason MacT deserves props – making sure there are enough defencemen in camp so once they start going on IR it’s nothing to worry about.

Shades of 2006, shiver me timbers, and all of that.

4. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Fedun too.

Fedun is a righty, competing with Larsen and Potter.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: Fedun is a righty, competing with Larsen and Potter.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic:

Grebs said Fri (last) early last week… so soon?

7. LP says:

striatic:

8. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Yes… but when it comes to setting the bottom of the NHL roster (#s 7-8) I imagine the competition is more open and if anything Fedun might get an edge on Klefbom for the lack of RD on the team.

if there are 8D, then the extra pair will run lefty/righty. i guess they could go either way for #7 if there isn’t a #8, but there are more LD locks [Smid, Ference, Schultz Sr.] than RD locks [Petry, Schultz Jr.]

9. striatic says:

LP: Last thing I read (on Twitter) was that he was still awaiting Visa papers in Moscow. There’s some sort of public servant strike affecting various NHL players, Grabovski included.

so both the US and Canada have foreign service workers on strike? damn.

10. LP says:

Was at the game last night. Was interesting.

Of the players that might make it, those that stood out for me were Joensuu, Omark, Nurse.

Those that didn’t play too well by my eye were Grebeshkov, Davidson, Musil.

Thought Nurse was fast but seemed to lack that offensive flair once presented with a scoring opportunity (what J. Schultz has). Ferrence looked ok, reminded me of N. Schultz. Marc-Olivier Roy seemed pretty skilled. Olivier Roy (Goal) seemed ok, but let in 3 goals – although I don’t think he had much of a chance on any of them.

Anyways, going to be a fun year.

11. LP says:

striatic: so both the US and Canada have foreign service workers on strike? damn.

Issue isn’t on entering North America, but on leaving Russia with appropriate documents.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: Fedun only competes with Klefbom if Fedun doesn’t manage to secure the RD spot on the third pairing.

Isn’t that what I’ve been saying?

13. dangilitis says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

If he got hit, and was out with concussion related symptoms, he had a concussion.

The longer answer:

Our understanding of concussion has changed significantly in the last few years. Look no further than Sidney Crosby getting hit, losing a bit of a step on the way off the ice, and subsequently being sidelined, and compare that to Pacioretty being turnbuckled without any real concussion like symptoms (only a fractured vertebra!).

Concussion may be caused by a direct blow to the head, neck, or face, or by a blow somewhere else on the body which transmits an impulsive force to the head [7]-[9]. Most concussions do not cause loss of consciousness, or cause only transient loss of consciousness (lasting seconds)”

Great read here, also explains what the process to return to play for anyone who has suffered a concussion (Table 2) – also explains why everyone varies – some take days to progress from one step to the next, and others take much longer. I know it is a pediatric article, but it is the same process used by adults, so can and should be applied now to any player with concussion-like symptoms

(As an aside, if you want to learn why Gregor was talking out of his ass when he said that delaying hitting until Bantam will do more harm than good: http://www.cps.ca/en/documents/position/bodychecking-ice-hockey)

14. Ducey says:

dangilitis,

I don’t think that he had a concussion. I was at the Bears game. He got an elbow at the beginning of a PK shift. He was down for a few seconds, then got up, then could not get off for about a minute and a half. He seemed to get stronger as the shift wore on. He was out a few shifts and then came back in, and seemed to play pretty well.

They are likely just being cautious.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Eakins PC today.

also… I think he nods at TJ as an example of an old hand… but Jones was asking a real repetitive line of questions about the old glory days… tiresome.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dangilitis,

I haven’t heard that he had symptoms. just that he was being bubble-boyed as a precaution.

Gregor is in many respects a fine sports personality…. but he suffers from the same disease most sports fans do: bloodlust.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dangilitis,

here Klefbom says: “we just want to make sure that I don’t have any symptoms for a concussion”

18. JamesL says:

Romulus Apotheosis,
    That’s too bad (the TJ thing, not necessarily the Gazz thing). I had high hopes for him after he dissed Tencer the other day — was kinda hoping he wouldn’t put up with BS from the “veteran” journalists, either.

Rom: I think they’re just following protocol. Which is good. But, it’s also probably true we need a new word that exists between ‘everything’s fine’ and ‘concucssion’ so we can keep things straight.

I suggest “Steve Smith” would be a good phrase.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I suggest “Steve Smith” would be a good phrase.

Ahh yes. I had a bad case of “Steve Smith” once.

I was in such a “mild fog of the brain” that I forgot to apply more gauze to my severe case of “apple thumb.”

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

JamesL:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t hold it against him. He just seemed to get caught in a loop, couldn’t move on.

22. wheatnoil says:

I didn’t see the games yesterday (same streaming problems as others) but it appears Fedun did well and picked up a couple points. It’s too bad Eakins didn’t see that game. I like Fedun and he looks like a real strong call-up option (a hell of a lot better than the Tueberts, Plantes, and Chorneys of years past). He’s an older prospect and does well at the AHL level. I can’t see any room for him at the NHL level this season, but hopefully he gets a couple cups of coffee and the Oilers resign him. With Potter and Larsen’s contracts expiring at the end of the year, there’s a clear path for a right-shooting depth defenseman on the club in 2014.

23. Zipdot says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think there’s a not so subtle diss here for Tom Gazz. He says something like “you guys are the same. you need experience. a young kid out of college isn’t going to ask very good questions. he needs experience, just like players.”

Lame, man. Tommy Gazzola isn’t a bad question asker…

24. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Man am I glad that Eakins is the new boss – for no other reason that entertainment value of the pressers! Breaking Bad is going to be done soon, and I’ll need something to fill that spot.

25. MrDooman says:

This is completely out of left field. But do you still consider Gretzky the THIRD best player of all time LT?

26. MrDooman says:

Auck! I can’t believe what I’m reading. I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed so vehemently with what you write!

In the Dallas pre-season game, Ruff has Kaptain Horcov holding rookie’s hands:

Eakin-Horcov-Nichuskin

I might grab the Kaptain cheap in my keeper league.

He’s going to get the sheltered minutes with those kids.

28. bookje says:

MrDooman:

When he wrote that, he was probably suffering from a Steve Smith.

29. admiralmark says:

Lowetide.. Do you still like Grebs? or is it still too early to say? I never thought he was gonna be any good coming back. Mind you I always thought he is a train wreck out there. When he gets burned he gets burned in a big way.

30. RMGS says:

I’m thoroughly enjoying Coach Eakins’ “out with the old, in with the new” renovation of all things Oilers, if nothing else for how much Terry Jones seems to dislike it. The new coach has cojones.

31. dangilitis says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

No I know, and that’s great that he doesn’t have symptoms now, but I don’t think there is a question that he indeed suffered a concussion, because at the time of the injury or shortly thereafter, he reportedly had symptoms. Mind you, this is second hand stuff from Matheson:

“That unpenalized Levko Koper elbow to top prospect Oscar Klefbom’s kisser late in the Golden Bears-Oilers’ rookie game Tuesday night at Clare Drake Arena caused more damage than first thought. Klefbom, who was dropped to his knees by the sneaky hit, didn’t take part in the skating torture test or any of the three practices at Millennium Place in Sherwood Park Thursday.

“He (Klefbom) was hit in the head and we’re following the protocol with every head injury. He’ll be reassessed in the morning,” said head coach Dallas Eakins. Klefbom finished the Bears game in the 4-3 loss and seemed fine in the dressing room as he discussed the Koper hit, but obviously woke up with a headache or feeling not right.”

I’ll let you decide how reputable the “obviously” part was, but I think based on the dropping to knees and symptoms suspected within 24 hrs after hit, that this meets all the criteria for concussion.

MrDooman: pm

MrDooman:

I haven’t changed my mind. However, you have to understand that I’m speaking as a fan–Gretzky’s OFFENSIVE NUMBERS 1979-1988 ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE that he’s clearly the best player of all-time.

My personal choice is Bobby Orr, but that has much to do with what Orr means to me personally. I also think Lemieux is a massively underrated player. That said, if every other list on the planet has 99 as the best alltime–and they do–then my single voice should be ignored.

And believe me, it has been. :-)

admiralmark:
    Lowetide.. Do you still like Grebs? or is it still too early to say?I never thought he was gonna be any good coming back. Mind you I always thought he is a train wreck out there. When he gets burned he gets burned in a big way.

I like Grebs if MacT likes Grebs. If MacT doesn’t like him, then he’s gone. I do enjoy his trickery, but there’s a lot of chaos in his game. It’s way too early to decide where he is on this team, though.

34. "Steve Smith" says:

Lowetide: It’s way too early to decide where he is on this team, though.

Disagree: fourth line left-winger.

(But then, I am experiencing some mild symptoms of…well, you know.)

35. Crooked says:

Great prospect, but he’s got the same crummy luck Plante had in his first few years in the organization. Hopefully he’s able to avoid the same fate.

36. justDOit says:

“Steve Smith”,

mild, yet chronic – no?

37. justDOit says:

Orr, then Gretzky, and after that I don’t care much, for now.

38. MrDooman says:

Ya, but if you read that, LT even puts Messier above Gretzky!

39. "Steve Smith" says:

justDOit,

It comes and goes.

40. Dead Cat Bounce says:

“Steve Smith”: Disagree: fourth line left-winger.

(But then, I am experiencing some mild symptoms of…well, you know.)

Early Onset Lawyer?

So sad.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

MrDooman:
    Ya, but if you read that, LT even puts Messier above Gretzky!

So do I.

What’s the point of being a fan and making a list if you can’t draw up your own favorites?

42. fuzzy muppet says:

LT:

Off topic but your dumbass Eagles made me lose my suicide league today…

I blame you :)

fuzzy muppet:
    LT:

Off topic but your dumbass Eagles made me lose my suicide league today…

I blame you :)

lol. The Eagles are a dog.

44. BlacqueJacque says:

Eakins on Fedun:

“to be honest, he’s on the outside right now” but praises him and likes his character.

45. justDOit says:

Lowetide: lol. The Eagles are a dog.

Are the Browns flying high this season?

46. jp says:

LP: No, the problem is apparently in Russia (and perhaps in other countries in Europe from what I heard).

For Grabovski, given that he signed pretty recently, and can’t initiate the paperwork to get a VISA until he has a contract in place, it’s not surprising that his paperwork isn’t ready yet.

47. B S says:

justDOit,

Maurice Richard if we’re going to play.

48. Bank Shot says:

jp: Being Canadian I’ve never come to Canada for work. I did recently move to the US to work though, and I didn’t need any special documents from Canada to get into the US. Just a passport, which Belov would have needed to play some of his KHL games and to play in the World Championships. I’m not sure the issue is on the Russian end.

I’m not sure what all the rules are regarding work visas in Canada, but with my limited view they seem pretty convoluted and have a share of red tape involved.

49. justDOit says:

B S:
    justDOit,

Maurice Richard if we’re going to play.

fou

50. Hammers says:

Basically this is about Klefbom’s concussion but he says his fine Get the kid on the ice now .Still think he ends up in AHL but they need to find out . Hopefully Eakins doesn’t use to many preseason games with tryouts as this team needs to come out firing on all lines . Can’t see Hall /Hemsky / Smyth staying together . I would love to see the following tried together; Yak with Hall and Joensuu . Gags/Perron / Eberle . Then Gordon with Hemsky/ Smyth and Lander/Jones/ Omark. Give Acton both Brown & Hamilton . The 4th line would be dependent on opposing lineup and use Eager as required .Maybe 3 games to figure it out and as for “D” keep shuffling.

51. LP says:

jp,

Yes you need a passport, but depending on both countries involved you still may have to apply for a visa. Especially for a work visa. From my experience, you would normally apply for a visa from your country of residence to the country for which you want to visit / work in. That would mean to the Canadian Embassy in Russia for Belov. Now there probably are a lot of requirements for him to comply with (for the visa), and perhaps the hold up is on getting some of these required papers.

I’ve had to deal with a Canadian embassy for my wife’s papers, and they are anal about everything but are pretty efficient and professional. It’s the other country I’d worry about.

52. LP says:

Bank Shot,

Yes. Absolutely. Convoluted and lots of red tape.

People can’t just come here and work….

53. Bruce McCurdy says:

Ducey: He got an elbow at the beginning of a PK shift. He was down for a few seconds, then got up, then could not get off for about a minute and a half. He seemed to get stronger as the shift wore on.

I saw the same thing from the press box in the end zone of Clare Drake. It was a race for the puck down the boards and as Klefbom was about to overtake Koper the Bears player veered & popped Klefbom with either a shoulder or elbow pad, couldn’t quite see that but Klef went down like a sack of potatoes, took a couple seconds to collect himself, but got back in the play and mostly stood around in front of his own net while the cobwebs cleared and the Bears buzzed the periphery. It was a very long time before the Oilers finally got the puck and were able to relieve the pressure; I guessed it as a two-minute shift in total, but I agree Klefbom seemed to collect himself as the seconds passed.

I had a brief opportunity to speak with Oscar post-game and asked specifically about that hit and that shift. He seemed clear-eyed, was smiling about the long sequence that followed and seemed to be very relaxed about it. On direct inquiry he said he was alright & he certainly seemed to be. So I was a little surprised though not completely shocked when he was held out of workouts the first two days of on-ice sessions. If the Oilers are simply being careful with guys who get dinged in the noggin, well, more power to them.

54. dangilitis says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Well then that settles it. If you have been hit hard (direct to the head or not) then take time skating over to the bench and its not because you got injured elsewhere you are concussed. End of story. Everything else the team has done has been exactly by protocol. You can progress through each step every 24 hrs at minimum but he has to do graduated return to play, which means rest –> light aerobic –> simple drills –> complex drills –> non contact play –> contact play –> game action

55. jp says:

LP:
    jp,

Yes you need a passport, but depending on both countries involved you still may have to apply for a visa. Especially for a work visa. From my experience, you would normally apply for a visa from your country of residence to the country for which you want to visit / work in. That would mean to the Canadian Embassy in Russia for Belov. Nowthere probably are a lot of requirements for him to comply with (for the visa), and perhaps the hold up is on getting some of these required papers.

He would need a VISA, and would presumably have to deal with a CDN embassy. As I said though, I didn’t need anything from Canada other than the passport to apply to work in the US. From my experience I’d guess that something on his end (or the Oilers) is the most likely issue. Who knows though.

Bank Shot: I dunno. I had a friend come visit me from Poland. No problem, fly in on a passport. After a little while he decided he wanted to work here and he actually had to leave the country to apply for a work visa.

I think it’s pretty standard that you can go visit a country with a visitors VISA (if one is even needed), but that you’d need to leave the country first and re-enter under the proper status to be able to work there. Definitely a different VISA required for work vs travel. It is a bit complicated, but I think the rules are fairly clear. An NHL team should certainly know the rules and have dealt with this many many times.

56. oilswell says:

Lowetide: f every other list on the planet has 99 as the best alltime–and they do–then my single voice should be ignored.

There’s been a few lists I’ve seen apart from yours with Orr on the top. Primarily the arguments revolve on their respective peak on-ice goal differentials and either era or positional handicapping or both. Which is fine and all, and strong arguments, but how can the player with more assists than anyone else has points not be the best player? I am totally not a counting stats-based evaluator, but not having Gretzky at the top just doesn’t compute for me.