KLEFBOM THE NEW POO?

In 2009-10, the Oilers had some nice things despite the poor record. However, Pat Quinn thought Lubo was not the vaunt, and he also sent Marc Pouliot away (fie!) in the final stages of running the remnants of the 2006 into the ground. Pouliot never did deliver, owing much (I believe) to injuries during important development time. IS Oscar Klefbom the new Poo?

klefbom5

Klefbom Injury Timeline

• Sept 2/11: Swedish Oil: Klefbom was unlucky enough to get cut on his thigh by an ice skate, the wound was sewn with ten stitches, and when the stitches were removed there was an infection. Now Klefbom is on penicillin which also prohibits him from playing.
  • Nov 14/11: Sami Hoffrén: Klefbom was hit to the head by a Russian forward and he had to leave the game. Didn’t play in the tournament after that hit. I assume Klefbom suffered a concussion.
  • Oct 9/12: Oscar Klefbom: “It happened on Oct. 9 playing against Vaxjo,” Klefbom said. “I dumped the puck in the offensive zone and I got a small hit from behind and I lost my balance and I flew into the boards. I had to catch myself with my left arm. Afterwards, I couldn’t feel my arm, it was like a dead arm. I didn’t know what happened.”
  • Sept 12/13: Oilers announce they are following concussion protocol after Klefbom is injured in the U of A game.

I think we’re at a point now with Klefbom that it’s reasonable to suggest his career development has been impacted significantly by injury. Now, some players have this resume and then fly through the next 20 years without a scratch, but the growing list of worries (and this isn’t a complete list, I’m sure) tells me that Oscar Klefbom may never deliver on the potential of his draft day due to injury.

It’s a tough damn game.

American Actress Katharine Ross

The Klefbom injury is not considered to be long term (Eakins said “He (Klefbom) was hit in the head and we’re following the protocol with every head injury. He’ll be reassessed in the morning”) and there are bumps and bruises for Jujhar Khaira, Curtis Hamilton, Andrew Miller and Kale Kessy. All of that info and more is here

The VO2 max score that everyone is talking about is Andrew Ference (67), considered an other-worldly performance. Anton Lander was in the 60′s and baby Nuge scored a 60 according to various reports.

ross sc

I imagine today’s TC will be about getting ready for the two Saturday games. I do like Hall between Smyth and Hemsky for two reasons:

1. It gives Hall two veterans who can help with the heavy work.
  2. It sends a clear message that the team is a “team” and there’s no more of this “kid line” or “veteran line” responsibility.

We’ll see how it goes, but I wouldn’t mind seeing that line through the pre-season. If they can develop some chem then the 3 scoring lines Unicorn theory (I think that’s what Ryan Batty called it yesterday) may actually happen.

ross3

I was absolutely astonished by Tyler Dellow’s item about Pat Quinn and I think it points out a couple of major worries:

1. HOW can an organization do their due diligence and come to the conclusion that this is the best available person for the job?
  2. At some point they HAD to know things were askew, and yet they kept the situation status quo until summer. That is very disturbing.

As for the other characters in the play, as much as Sam Gagner gets crapped all over by fans it appears it may have been worse for him during some portions of his Oiler career inside the building. I’m not certain the Oilers have earned his loyalty, but it appears to be there all the same. Craig MacTavish may have arrived just in time to save that relationship.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

ROSS77

Big Friday show as we get ready for the weekend. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports. Eakins-mania, and are the Leafs being set up for a big fall?
  • Lisa McRitchie from Kukla’s Korner. Oilers camp and we’ll touch base on the coming WHL season.
  • Scott Taylor from the huddle dot co. We’ll preview the Eskimos-Bomber game and talk Oilers/Jets.
  • Jill Horbay from FC Edmonton. The Eddies are in action Sunday and it’s a huge game.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter, Olympian. We’ll talk about training camp tests and Olympic news.

Lowetide_ on twitter, 10-1260 via text. We’re heading to the weekend, ladies! Pre-season NHL hockey!

91 Responses to "KLEFBOM THE NEW POO?"

1. regwald says:

I listened to that Quinn interview when it was posted in your blog comments. Quinn’s stories meander and it sounds like he can’t get the details right. And he honestly believed Schremp was a quick little skater, I wonder if he left his glasses in the car that morning at training camp. It makes you question his comments as accurate and if they were nothing more than being confused about two players. Where Gagner was the quick little skater and Schremp was the guy who looked out of shape.

I am glad that experiment ended after 1 year and agree it should have ended sooner than that.

Regwald: Quinn mixed Gagner up with Hemsky a time or two as well. Louise reminded me of that yesterday.

3. sliderule says:

You can say Klfbom is injury prone or unlucky.

Skate cut that infected and shoulder injury from being run are partly luck.Concussions are a different problem and he mentioned he has to be more aware..Get your elbows up Klefa!

As to Quinns ramblings I think he has early onset.

Gagner has probably taken a lot of crap mostly from six rings.He can turn on you in a heartbeat as Stoll Brodziak and even Horcoff found out.

4. regwald says:

Yes. He’s like listening to an 80+ year old grandpa tell the same story over and over again and each time it is a bit different than the last.

And his comment in that interview was something like they haven’t had a good team in Edmonton in like 20+ years since they last won the cup. I guess he must have slept through 2006. Just sayin’

Nice way to ensure Klef will be healthy going forward.

You’re reverse karma is stuff of legend.

Keep it up sir!

6. bookje says:

Woodguy,

Book it!

7. commonfan14 says:

I wonder if Quinn would have been fired earlier if they hadn’t decided mid-season that the tank was on. They certainly didn’t waste much time ditching (sorry – promoting) him after the season ended.

8. saddleblazer says:

I had the pleasure of sharing drinks with Kevin Lowe, MacT, Laforge and some other cronies around a campfire when they were in Yellowknife for the rookie camp in the summer of 2007. The Super Series was on at the time and the Oilers brass were GAGA over GAGNER. Lowe was licking his chops to get him into main camp. As crazy as Quinn is, there may be something to his assertion that there was organizational pressure to keep him in the lineup.

FWIW

9. LMHF#1 says:

Any honest discussion of Schremp must include the mistakes that were made in development, including the sorry state of the parent club’s influence on the farm club during his tenure there.

If you can’t turn a guy with a tool kit like that into an NHLer, some of it is on you. Mistakes made at 19-22 are not easily reversed either. I once watched him go through an entire skate and miss one pass. ONE. I’ve never seen another player able to do that.

10. Hammers says:

Not totally surprised at Quinn’s ramblings and remeber that’s all they are . He was a leader with the Oil Kings , watched him play , then a steady , not great NHL defenceman . His coaching career is where he excelled but the signs where there the way he treated the junior team he ran and like many I was shocked the Oilers hired him . If it’s assumed nuts ran the team he is partly right as K.Lowe must have been nuts to hire Tambellini . Probably the worst decision of Kevins career . Once again this proves Tambellini either accepted Quinns ramblings / ideas or wasn’t keeping a close look at what Quinn was doing .

11. BlacqueJacque says:

Holy cow if anyone is coming to millenium today, don’t park at millenium. Every senior citizen and prize wife in Sherwood park must be here.

Anyway it’s just cycling/offensive zone drills right now with the scrubs and tweeners out there for the most part. Without anyone defending, everyone looks pretty good. I’d honestly have a hard time judging who is NHL talent and who is a career minor leaguer from this. They receive passes well, make them well, although Joey leach just lead his man way too much with a pass while retrieving the puck near his own blue under simulates pressure.

Nuge and Gernat are on the other side of the rink from me with Petryk and Ford. I’ve got Nesbitt, Moroz, Houck and some others.

OK Nuge came to my side on a rush and slipped a four foot pass like six feet away from the net between a defender’s legs to his partner. THAT stands out. Gernat got beat wide by Abney and forced to pivot six feet from the net. Abney’s speed continues to surprise. Nuge and Khaira maintained a nice two-man keep away from two defenders. Ty Rimmer stopped a shot with his noggin and hot stunned. Khaira later combined with Nuge for a nice goal on him. Nuge baited him down to the post and snuck the pass by him,so Khaira had an easy tap-in from right in front of the net.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Just spent the last hour catching up on yesterday (only here at LT’s!… there still so much to read and watch! Hockey’s back!)

Just wanted to thank Blacque Jacque for yesterday. I read every word with considerable interest.

Klefbom. Jeez. I’m delighted that it looks like we aren’t going to rush him into the NHL… but crap does he need some at-bats, practice time, camp time… it’s unreal the way fate has this kid earmarked for derailment. May he bind that river with genius and prudence.

Quinn. unreal. Someone (not a typical insider, but a good journalistic instinct, some access and the ability to turn a phrase) needs to write a book about the Lowe years from coach to gm to pres… there’s got to be some amazing shit under the covers of that story.

13. Diesel says:

Nuge’s passing is looking as dialed as always.
    Khaira’s ability to use his body in one on one situations is readily apparent, if his hands sharpen up just a touch he will be a force down low.
    Moroz has been shooting well. Hopefully a better offensive season ahead.

Two people have asked me about my injuries, believing me to be Klefbom. (I’m wearing a suit) Oops.

14. BlacqueJacque says:

Rimmer is out for Bunz. Coach behind and beside the net passing to a forward in front and just to the side. No skating. Petryk off the post, lhaira stopped. Abney stopped. Rimmer back in. Ford for stopped not petryk. Petryk wide. Nuge hard wrister wide. Nesbitt flubs it. Ford stopped, fired right at pads.

Switching post sides… Abner scores! Mid glove side. Petryk stopped. Nuge stopped high pad but gets the soft rebound and skates it in around rimmer. Bbunz in, ford foes wide. Khaira stopped five hole. Abney just barely stopped, puck deflects wide.

15. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Agreed – there must be some good stuff to unearth regarding the Lowe years, but after Michael Hastings I don’t think anyone is going to touch it!

16. BlacqueJacque says:

Face off dot to face off dot pads and shot. Nesbitt stopped. Khaira stopped. Petryk scores. Ford stopped and rebound stopped. Nuge fires it right into the glove. I don’t think he has his shot back yet. Abney chest pad. Petryk glove. Khaora pad and huge repeats his trick of a soft shot for the rebound and skate in. Nesbitt gets his rebound for a goal.

bunz in for rimmer. Two pass drill, give and fo. Khaira connects with Nesbitt, ford goes high. Abney not khaira, sorry. Bnuge gives it to streaking petryk but misses on pass from,Abney. Abney to khaira and back to Abney for a goal. Bunz should have had that. Too far in net. Sorry switch ab and kh. Khaira stopped. Abney scores again on ugly pass from Nesbitt. Nesbitt doesn’t belong. Nuge perfect pass to petryk goes high. Nuge doesn’t score on his try but the pass was in the pads almost.b Abney scores, meh pass from petryk. Petryk scores. Khaira bounces a pass to Nesbitt, and buries the pass from Nuge. Nuge high on a good pass from ford.

17. Ribs says:

Those were my thoughts exactly. That would be a huge red flag to any sane person. That Quinn kept his job the entire season and may have even had a prolonged stay if not for Lowe’s influence is dumbfounding.

But…With tanking being the goal by then, I suppose it doesn’t really matter.

18. pboy says:

Anyone else having issues trying to listen to the Show over the internet? I’ve never had any problems before but today it just won’t connect.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Is anyone else struggling to get the 1260 player to work online?

I keep getting this message: “error connecting to stream” and then it re-tries in a futile and endless loop of failure.

Can someone give it a go and see if it works for them?

thanks

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

pboy:

ha! that answers one question.

21. BlacqueJacque says:

Give and fo from,coach. No goal Nuge. No goal kh. Nesbitt squeezes one past. Abney stopped, petryk too. Nuge stopped but failed his give pass. Khaira yes. Nesbitt no, coach flubbed pass. Coach undershiots Abney. Petryk scores. Nuge didn’t even get an empty net. Stopped by bunz on second try. Khaira no goal

switching sides no on Nesbitt. Petryk just high. Nuge way high. Khaira low post. So far Nuge can pass but not shoot.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

now, about that tower 11.

23. Oiler fan says:

Can somebody please tell me if any of the
    Exhibition games will be televised or streamed??
    Somebody’s gotta know.

24. Oiler fan says:

BlacqueJacque,

Thank you for doing this!!
    I watched for it all morning yesterday.

25. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Either I missed the reference or you just dropped an awesome conspiratorial bomb.

now, about that tower 11.

Hastings wrote a piece on US general McCrystal (sp?) which essentially got the general fired. Hastings went on to become a vocal critic of the US surveillance state. Oh, and BTW he’s dead. Draw your own conclusions.

26. thejonrmcleod says:

This was probably brought up before, but…

If Hall excels at C, what do you do with Gagner?

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
    Perron-RNH-Eberle
    ?-Gagner-Yak

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: Hastings wrote a piece on US general McCrystal (sp?) which essentially got the general fired.Hastings went on to become a vocal critic of the US surveillance state.Oh, and BTW he’s dead. Draw your own conclusions.

I got that part. I thought there might be some other Hastings I was unaware of.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Anyone else try that damn player yet?

still nothing here.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

thejonrmcleod:
    This was probably brought up before, but…

If Hall excels at C, what do you do with Gagner?

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
    Perron-RNH-Eberle
    ?-Gagner-Yak

The problem with the Hall-Smyth-Hemsky line is twofold

a) which is the pair, if Eakins prefers pairs to trios? Hall-Hemsky?

b) can Smyth and Hemsky keep up with the minutes Hall is going to get this year 5×5?

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

for all you peeps biting your nails and sitting on the edge of your seats the player just started working.

yea!

31. thejonrmcleod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yeah, I see your “b” point. If I did think Hall could do well at C, I would probably pair Yakupov with Hall.

32. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Gotcha.

Are you trying through this address?:

Works fine for me.

33. Diesel says:

Online and app were definitely down from about 8am onwards.

34. yawto says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think if you slot gagner and yak with Gordon you have three solid lines there. As for Smyth/Hemsky keeping up, maybe short shifts by that line solves another problem, Hall can be 4L C as well. Gets him all those extra 5×5 minutes.

35. BlacqueJacque says:

They’re setting up for a game and, uh, I not only not have a seat any more, I can’t really see over everyone here. On the bright side there are so many cameras im sure someone is going to post video.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“you can’t put a price on a good quilt”

37. Diesel says:

High tempo, physical scrimmage. Petry looking great – stepping up laying a nice hit at his blue, jumping up into the play a few times.

Hall Hemsky Smyth again.

Ebs finishing checks on Smytty indicates a message has been received already.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Steve Passmore!

Me and my buddy, when we were like 9, loved him when he played for the Victoria Cougars (before they moved to PG). Used to heckle the backup (can’t remember his name).

His career got derailed by injury. But I remember following his career with interest as a kid.

39. Diesel says:

Yak flying. Showing the kind of awareness he displayed on Horcoff’s goal last season for a beautiful assist on a 3 on 3

40. Bag of Pucks says:

Does anyone know if today’s practice is open to the public?

41. Diesel says:

It is open to public.

Unless my apparent likeness to Klefbom has me flying way under the radar.

42. BlacqueJacque says:

Eberle/Gagner victimize Dubey wand the hall/smyth/hemsly line. Ference and nurse were defenders. Eberle got it with a sweet backhand. Davidson looks pretty good, marincin better. Schultz pursued the puck deep and beat marincin but not before being boxed out behind the net. Gagner stood up nurse on a hit, too.

Christ, the MILFs here. I forgot how many prize wives live in Sherwood park.

yakupov scores on a nice tap in from a nurse centering pass. I’m telling you guys, its yak and eberle heading for a first line controversy.

Schultz was out with Davidson.its Musil and grebs getting a try. Greba kept chase off the puck pretty easy. Hemsky gives it away on a pass to the point. Gagner was questioning the ref and its a meaningless game for him. Love it.

omark stripped of puck by Gordon. Eager shows his speed and chips around Davidson. Lander playing solid d as always. 96 gave it away to 6 at his own blue. Careless pass. Nurse dekes Gagner and gets by before gags turns around. Nurse is very prone to going to offense. Hemsky with nice backchecks and recovers the puck. Schultz hot pass to yak that he can’t handle. Musil out there with him and looked tired at the end of his shift.

43. Bag of Pucks says:

Thanks Diesel, any idea on how long it will run? Can’t find any details on the Oiler’s site about this.

44. BlacqueJacque says:

Gagner had some speed and tried to get dance on Ference. Ate the snow by the boards and Ference had the puck before Gagner started sliding down. Ty Blicke has nothing. Gordon-Perron-Jonesy in the slot and dubs knocks it into the glass. Eberle is the best player on his team. Pitlick really strong on the puck. I’m gonna grab a seat on the other rink yo take video of the third.

45. Diesel says:

Currently 8 min left in second period of stop time, full ref’d scrimmage.

46. oilersfan says:

Diesel, are you the same Diesel from esksfans?

If so, you should go on Lowetide’s show as the esksfans rep

47. Diesel says:

For anyone wondering… Nuge not participating. Kind of a given but someone would ask eventually.
    Joensuu has a bit of rust it seems but has an explosive first few strides and I believe just sniped a nice one.
    Eberle’s hands are as fast as I’ve seen them.

48. denny33 says:

Diesel,

Love it Gentlemen…..

Very little work getting done here today in Winnipeg….

49. Diesel says:

oilersfan:
    Diesel, are you the same Diesel from esksfans?

If so, you should go on Lowetide’s show as the esksfans rep

No I’m not. (at first i typed unfortunately not but then I realized I have no knowledge as to why I’d rather be him than me; aside from the fact that I’d potentially get some airtime).

50. Diesel says:

Ference paired with Nurse in the third period.

Hall can’t seem to find the right lanes to receive the puck with speed from hemsky/smyth/dmen. I suspect that will come with time and/or a combination of chemistry or different line mates.

51. TheOtherJohn says:

BJ

You are at an arena with JSchu and you think Nurse is “prone to going on offense?”

52. BlacqueJacque says:

53. RexLibris says:

Rom

and then it re-tries in a futile and endless loop of failure.

Was this meant to be a definition of being an Oiler fan since 1990?

54. Diesel says:

Jones, Gags, Eberle and co. tie the game up at 3 with 5 seconds left vs Hall’s line after sustained 6/5 pressure.

Shootout highlights are Yakupov scoring on a snapper after a quick pull to his forehand, Omark with a hemsky-esque slow dangle to forehand tuck (after the benches urged him on to start with a spin-o… he did not oblige).

55. spoiler says:

Oiler fan: Can somebody please tell me if any of theExhibition games will be televised or streamed??Somebody’s gotta know.

Three games televised, one by each network:

56. spoiler says:

BlacqueJacque: Well, Schultz is a known quantity. Nurse being so aggressive against the best opposition of his life… That’s kind of impressive. Like the confidence. Video of third up in a few hours.

Very astute observation, Shellacque. Keep up the good work, you’ve been a real hoss these past two days. Thanks again!

57. spoiler says:

Sorry, OT, and this has probably already been discussed, but just looking at that schedule I posted, I am kinda surprised by two facts:

1. We don’t play the Flames till the season is six weeks old

2. We play 14 out of the first 18 games against the Eastern Conference

58. striatic says:

spoiler: 2. We play 14 out of the first 18 games against the Eastern Conference

this is good, in that division games are going to be more important than ever this season and RNH shouldn’t miss very many of those, but bad in that it means the Oilers will be on the road without RNH for almost the entirety of October.

i’m hoping that everything balances out, but i doubt it.

59. denny33 says:

BlacqueJacque,

Feel free to include shots of the rink scenery – just so we get a real sense of the atmosphere in the rink….

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

STL and Pietro done. 7 x 6.5 AAV

61. Ribs says:

KLEFBOM THE NEW POO?

I sure hope he’s not a Poobom.

62. spoiler says:

I don’t know if anyone caught Raonic play the Serb today in the Davis Cup, but what an amazing match. First time Canada has been to this point in 100 years and today’s match was suitably epic. The fifth set ended 10-8 in games (no tiebreak).

I think Sportsnet is replaying it tonight and of course the rest of the matchup continues this weekend.

63. bendelson says:

spoiler,

Did Milos win? (Spoiler alert!)

64. BlacqueJacque says:

http://youtu.be/ETKadOvLIoU – part 1 of the third period, interrupted after the goal by two ladies who wanted to get out

http://youtu.be/Z_V1JR5PGvo – part 2

http://youtu.be/Si4xUzrBU8g – shootout

Apologies in advance for the Sportsnet-like camera coverage. I missed the play a few times.

65. Henry says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Eberle/Gagner victimize Dubey wand the hall/smyth/hemsly line.Ference and nurse were defenders.Eberle got it with a sweet backhand.Davidson looks pretty good, marincin better.Schultz pursued the puck deep and beat marincin but not before being boxed out behind the net.Gagner stood up nurse on a hit, too.

Christ, the MILFs here. I forgot how many prize wives live in Sherwood park.

yakupov scores on a nice tap in from a nurse centering pass.I’m telling you guys, its yak and eberle heading for a first line controversy.

Schultz was out with Davidson.its Musil and grebs getting a try.Greba kept chase off the puck pretty easy.Hemsky gives it away on a pass to the point.Gagner was questioning the ref and its a meaningless game for him.Love it.

omark stripped of puck by Gordon.Eager shows his speed and chips around Davidson.Lander playing solid d as always.96 gave it away to 6 at his own blue.Careless pass.Nurse dekes Gagner and gets by before gags turns around.Nurse is very prone to going to offense.Hemsky with nice backchecks and recovers the puck.Schultz hot pass to yak that he can’t handle.Musil out there with him and looked tired at the end of his shift.

Note to self: do not bring wife to hockey game with BlacqueJacque or anyone that looks like Klefbom. She thinks Oscar’s hot.

66. striatic says:

going by the videos and some of the commentary here, Eager had a good scrimmage. has an especially good shift around 5:30 of the first video.

67. striatic says:

also nice to see the chemistry between Hall and Hemsky at the very end of the first video.

Hall is such an underrated playmaker.

68. striatic says:

Eager also using his speed well around 2:00 of the second video. i have to say, can’t tell much from a scrimmage, but at the very least you can tell that Eager is really trying to make an impression.

69. BlacqueJacque says:

Anyway, final impressions from camp, now that I’ve had bit of time to sleep off the rest of the nyquil that kept me up all night:

I would have to say that Eberle was the best forward, closely followed by Yakupov and then maybe Gagner or Perron. Hall looked tentative as a centre, and I absolutely do not understand LT’s or anyone else’s insistent suggestion he be moved there. We have Nuge, we have Gagner, and Hall is arguably the best left winger in the league right now. I cannot imagine how much more he could possibly impact the game as a centre than he does as a winger. That said, the transition for him is fully possible, but then you wonder what you do with Gagner or Nuge, and above all how you fill the void his departure from the port side leaves.

I am considerably more at ease with the Magnus for Perron deal than i was during the summer, because Perron has hands and he’s pretty feisty.

Ditto for Ference. If he’s 34, he doesn’t look it or act it on the ice. He’s also got a bit of a mean streak, he shoved Gagner down in the corner with a strong left arm. Rough stuff on a notable teammate for a training camp scrimmage.

Ryan Jones looked back to being himself. I know he’s on the shitlist on this blog and several others, but I’ve always liked him and he continued to demonstrate why today at camp. He has this knack for creating something out of nothing and being at the right place at the right time, and scored a goal to help bring team white within one of team blue.

I was kind of surprised Cam Abney didn’t get a chance to play. He was more noticeable and more effective than Nesbitt. Just goes to show, you see them good…

Speaking of seeing them good, Marincin looks like a real player right now. Easily pinned Perron (an energetic, feisty kind of guy with decent size) against the boards until a teammate dug the puck out. It would be nice if he was faster, but otherwise he has really grown since he left the WHL.

Nurse kind of reminds me of a cross between a young Marincin and a young Smid. Pinches at inopportune times, throws his weight around even though he doesn’t have enough of it, but he’s got a clear set of tools that he just has to learn how to use. I can’t get over his frame, though. From the end of the ribcage down, he might as well be a 15 year old boy. From the ribcage up, he’s very broad in the shoulders. Makes him top heavy and he gets knocked off the puck, he also has to lean into someone to project strength. Kind of the polar opposite of a Crosby, Gagner, or Kovalenko. I can’t skate worth crap and I’m pretty sure he’d have trouble boxing me out just because I have a stocky build.

Gernat is even more unfortunate, he’s just skinny all around. I wonder if the AHL won’t be too much for him over the long run – three games in three nights kind of deals against guys who are as heavy, if not as fast, as NHLers.

I’m not sure Omark will make the team. He looked good in the drills yesterday and I kept an eye out for him today, but I’d say his impact on the game was on par with Gordon, who I thought didn’t do much to distinguish himself either. Of course, Hall didn’t accomplish much either, and this is just a camp scrimmage, so I really shouldn’t be reading into things too much.

I am surprised at the brevity of training camp. Physical testing on Wednesday, drills Thursday, scrimmage Friday and first pre-season game tomorrow? I could have sworn 2010 camp lasted longer, about a week.

There was an impressive amount of intensity in the scrimmage. Not necessarily guys beating down on each other, but a fair amount of contact and a lot of effort. They’re not as sharp as they will be 30 games into the season, but the players put a lot of effort in. Hall seemed to be visibly upset the game got tied, and team white threw everything they had at team blue to get the tie.

70. theres oil in virginia says:

BlacqueJacque:

I would have to say that Eberle was the best forward

Hah! Read ‘em and weep LT. Not Hemsky, but Eberle! Hehe.

Of course there’s also this:

Killjoy.

71. Hammers says:

thejonrmcleod:
    This was probably brought up before, but…

If Hall excels at C, what do you do with Gagner?

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
    Perron-RNH-Eberle
    ?-Gagner-Yak

Omark or Joensuu .

72. striatic says:

Hammers: Omark or Joensuu .

or Eager. or Hamilton.

there is a ton of legitimate competition for the bottom 6LW spots, presuming Smyth moves up like that.

73. striatic says:

thejonrmcleod: If a Smyth-Hall-Hemsky line worked, the Oilers would be one LW away from having 3 very good scoring lines–at last on paper.

but .. i don’t think Smyth moves up like that, because the past two seasons have established he can’t log the kinds of minutes that would be needed to play with Hall on a consistent basis.

at best i think you can say that you’ll have a Hall-Hemsky duo that Smyth plays with from time to time, depending on the situation.

74. BlacqueJacque says:

theres oil in virginia,

75. spoiler says:

BlacqueJacque: theres oil in virginia, Oh, I forgot about Hemsky. Hemsky did well. Very well in the game, in fact. Great backcheck at one point, nice offensively – either scoring or setting up. I’d put him third now that I think about it.With Hemsky and Hall doing very well in either drills or the scrimmage itself, I really wonder if Eakins hasn’t put himself in a pickle with this fitness test talk. I can definitely see why the mainstream media don’t mention things like Hall and Hemsky coming last in their skating test. Maybe you want to give the rookie coach room to save face?

I think conditioning will be an ongoing process as opposed to a snapshot in time.

BlacqueJacque:

I would have to say that Eberle was the best forward, closely followed by Yakupov and then maybe Gagner or Perron.Hall looked tentative as a centre, and I absolutely do not understand LT’s or anyone else’s insistent suggestion he be moved there.

Awesome updates, Blacque Jacques. A quick note: Hall looking tentative at center is to be expected, no? As for “insistent suggestion” I have (and do) think that the Oilers should consider Hall at C IF IT WORKS!

I don’t think there’s anything revolutionary about that kind of thinking. Hall-Nuge at C might be fabulous, but I’m find with Nuge-Gagner too. I’m sure Eakins will change course if Hall is unable to manage the position switch.

77. BlacqueJacque says:

I said in that same paragraph where I called him tentative that he could learn the position eventually.

You mention Hall-Nuge would be great at C. What do you do with Gagner? Gagner doesn’t like playing RW – if I’m recalling correctly. Not that we have room on the right side to begin with. And then you’re left with a big, gaping hole on the left. A hole that absolutely nobody can fill the way Hall can. Perron? Yeah, he could play first line left wing. Hall is arguably the best in the world at the position.

So you spend a year teaching Hall to play centre with no guarantee he’ll ever be as effective there as he is on the left, while at the same time helping him forget how to play left side – or at the least, stopping his development there. As you’re trying to make the playoffs.

There’s just too many downsides and too little upside to switching Hall permanently to centre.

Maybe you trade Gagner for Evander Kane or Pacioretty? But I don’t think Winnipeg or Montreal makes that deal. I don’t think we ever get fair value for Gagner the moment every team in the league realizes we need to deal him to make room for Hall.

This talk of Hall at centre to me is just an illogical obsession borne of the very-justified resemblance between Hall and Messier. I never agreed with anyone’s assessment that Hall is like Anderson, when that was common early on. He was always Moose Redux to me. There’s just no room for him at centre though.

I think people misunderstand the position I’m taking. In saying “if Taylor Hall does well at center, I think they should consider keeping him there” it could also be framed “there’s no use moving Hall to center and keeping him there unless he can be more impactful at C than he is at L”

Both of those statements are basically the same. HARMING Hall’s performance is the farthest thing from my mind, but I don’t think he’s a butterfly either.

79. BlacqueJacque says:

So let’s say he works out. This brings us back to the gaping hole at left wing and what to do with Gagner.

So even if everything works out swimmingly, we still have two big negatives to deal with. Trade Gagner? Sure, maybe, but this brings us back to dealing from a position of weakness. Move Yak to the left? Maybe, if it’ll work. Then you can move Gagner into 2nd line RW and congratulations, you have now moved three players from their natural positions, their stated preferred positions, and you’re about as strong as you were before. If ALL of that works out – and now we are compounding risks, one on top of another, so we’ve gone from an 80% chance of success to a 51.2% chance of success (if switching positions was 80% effective, and I doubt it’s that high) – what do you get? An extra goal differential of +10? +15 per season?

Insanity.

I disagree. WHY do they have to deal Gagner? Gagner can play RW, and if he’s playing there they can also use him at center if the other guy gets thrown out of the circle. MacT used to do all kinds of things, he used Smyth, Pisani and others at center for extended periods, moved centermen off the position with regularity, and would employ guys like Patrick Thoresen and Toby Petersen because they were versatile.

I think that’s where we’re headed.

81. BlacqueJacque says:

So if Gagner’s on the right, where does he fit? 3rd line? Who takes over 1st line LW? I just showed you it’s easier finding a 1st line C than a 1st line LW =/

Man is he ever going to be happy when Eakins comes into the locker room and says “oh hey, Sammy, unless either Yakupov or Eberle get injured, you’re not getting a minute of gravy time on the power play, so hope you enjoy 40-point seasons and $3m contracts”.

And Sam doesn’t want to play RW any more than Hall wants to play C. I can’t find the quote but I swear I remember him saying he was happy to be back at C and preferred to be there, back during the Renney or Quinn days.

BlacqueJacque:

So if Gagner’s on the right, where does he fit?3rd line?Who takes over 1st line LW?I just showed you it’s easier finding a 1st line C than a 1st line LW =/

And Sam doesn’t want to play RW any more than Hall wants to play C.I can’t find the quote but I swear I remember him saying he was happy to be back at C and preferred to be there, back during the Renney or Quinn days.

I don’t think “Sam doesn’t want to play RW” is a point that has any real importance in team building and suspect Gagner will play where he’ll help the team. Hey, I’m not down on Gagner as a center, he’s a guy I like a tremendous amount.

If the Oilers go Hall-Nuge-Gagner-Gordon at center, I’d consider that outstanding.

83. BlacqueJacque says:

LT I have to disagree, player preference absolutely does matter. Players get to choose which teams they play for.

Jordan Staal will probably never win another Cup, but he’ll get to play with his brothers and he’ll get to be the second line centre in Carolina. If he’d stayed in Pittsburgh, he probably could get another Cup or two before Malkin and Crosby are done. Grabovski didn’t want to go back to play the 3rd line in Toronto, even though he was very good at it.

Players also like money, and as Sam showed last year, points get money. It doesn’t matter how bad defensively you are if you put the puck in the net. 3rd line centres don’t score 60, 70 points and don’t get $5m contracts.

Anyway, we’re at the point of repeating ourselves and I still stand by my point that whatever amount of upgrade Hall is on Gagner, it doesn’t offset either the risk of having to move Yak and Gagner (whether by trade or position switch) to accomodate that, and it doesn’t offset the loss of Hall as your first line left winger if you can’t make that switch happen.

If we didn’t have either Gagner or Nuge, I’d be all for moving Hall to centre even though it’ll be harder replacing him at LW than it would have been to sign a guy to play 2nd line minutes, because centre impacts the game more. However, we have Sam, we have Nuge, and that’s that.

That’s my two.. five… thirty cents I guess. :)

84. BlacqueJacque says:

Henry: Note to self: do not bring wife to hockey game with BlacqueJacque or anyone that looks like Klefbom.She thinks Oscar’s hot.

Trust me, I’m no Klefbom, your wife is safe :P

85. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque,

Nice coverage of the scrimmage, Blacquie – or should I say, Ulrich von Lichtenstein?

86. BlacqueJacque says:

justDOit:
    BlacqueJacque,

Oh dear, I was afraid I’d get teased about that. I had to make up a fake name for a fake google account, and during “which country are you from” I chose lichtenstein because it sounds ridiculous so I just went all the way with the Knight’s Tale reference.

87. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque,

No – I think it’s hilarious. Unless you don’t mean for it to be hilarious.

88. BlacqueJacque says:

justDOit,

Thanks :)

89. striatic says:

if the Oilers don’t have the depth to be a playoff team, they don’t have the depth to tinker via trade. they will only end up robbing peter to pay paul.

i’m not concerned about having Gagner as a third line centre, or Gordon ending up on the fourth line.

Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Talbot weren’t too much Centre depth for the 2008-2009 pens. Hall, RNH, Gagner, Gordon certainly aren’t too much Centre depth for the 2013-2014 Oilers.

90. theres oil in virginia says:

BlacqueJacque: Oh dear, I was afraid I’d get teased about that.I had to make up a fake name for a fake google account…

You kiddin? One of the reasons I clicked on the link was to see if you gave another fake identity and if so, what it was. My goto is Tom Joad, because:

I’ll be ever’where – wherever you look. Wherever they’s a fight so hungry people can eat, I’ll be there. Wherever they’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, I’ll be there.

Who is Tom Joad? He’s no man. He’s every man.

I love the creativity in people’s pseudonyms.

91. justDOit says:

theres oil in virginia:

… I love the creativity in people’s pseudonyms.

Based on that statement, you must hate me.