LOUD NOISES: IT’S ALL HAPPENING

Dallas Eakins: “I read a lot into it. There was some good out there, some bad, some guys we expect more from, some pleasant surprises.” Hockey happens so quickly, and the truth is hopefuls had good and bad things going on in a high event game in Winnipeg. Who did well? Read on. azorcan

HEAD TO HEAD

1. Phil Larsen over Denis Grebeshkov: Both had chaos in their game this night, and both did some good things. Larsen was a big part of the game story with a sweet pass to Mitchell Moroz for a goal, followed closely by a Larsen goal courtesy a Nail Yakupov pass. I think Grebeshkov leads this battle, but it’s closer than it was one night ago and Larsen is creating value. Value=roster spot.
  2. Jesse Joensuu over Ryan Hamilton. Joensuu was less impressive in his second game (he fell down a lot) but Hamilton was not good after a terrific game one on the weekend. I still think both probably make it, but Joensuu has the lead.
  3. Anton Lander over Mark Arcobello. Both were good in the dot, and neither of them really had much to do with the offense, but I think Lander was the better player on the night. Arcobello got folded up like a cheap suit in the offensive zone during puck battles. Lander doesn’t have a lot of edge, but he can battle. I wish he had even a little offense.

GOOD SHOWINGS

barb2

I thought Oscar Klefbom had a good night, he played well positionally and rode oncoming wingers out of the play effectively. He also moved the puck up ice smartly and made some nice passes. On the downside he and his D partner left too big a gap for the oncoming rusher early in the game and he was caught running around like the others a few times. A better showing than Penticton, though. One suspects he’s going to be sent out sometime later in the week, but he could surprise.

Tyler Pitlick really  had a good game, 3 shots on goal, seemed to be all around the action. I’ve been stubborn on him for a couple of reasons (everyone who SEES him says he’s a player and he has an insanely bad shooting percentage and since the dice have no memory Pitlick will surely improve someday–at least a little!) but last night he played well. Full stop. (Pitlick photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

Mitchell Moroz scored a goal! It was a goalmouth item and honestly we have no idea if he’s going to be a good pro, but for this night he was in the right place at the right time and shoveled the puck into the net.

BARB3

REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS 13-14 (THE OILERS BLUE)

GP  G  A
JUSTIN SCHULTZ 80 13 28 41
ANTON BELOV 60 6 16 22
JEFF PETRY 75 3 17 20
ANDREW FERENCE 76 3 14 17
LADISLAV SMID 70 1 9 10
DENIS GREBESHKOV 60 1 9 10
COREY POTTER 27  1 6 7
NICK SCHULTZ 35 1 4 5
OSCAR KLEFBOM 20 0 3 3
MARTIN MARINCIN 0 1 1
PHIL LARSEN 0 0 0
TAYLOR FEDUN 0 0 0
    29 106

I decided to re-print this to see if we have seen any movement in what reasonable looked like (to me) in the summer. At that time, my pairings were Ference-Schultz, Smid-Petry, Belov-N Schultz with Grebeshkov as the 7th. Potter and Klefbom end up replacing Nick Schultz when he’s traded and I have Larsen in the minors.

It is Potter’s poor luck that he’s injured, but there’s no disputing Larsen has impressed enough to move up the summer depth chart, probably somewhere between Nick Schultz and Grebeshkov in terms of games played. It’s still early–we haven’t seen Belov–but it’s also late. Larsen’s flair for the dramatic–and the fact he caught the eye of the coach–are exactly the kinds of things we look for in training camp. He’ll need to deliver next week when the competition gets stronger, but there’s no doubt he helped himself in Winnipeg.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

fonda1

• Corey Pronman from ESPN and Hockey Prospectus. We’ll talk about the release of the HP Annual, prospects with a chance to stick around the NHL and the Oilers prospect list–looks a little barren compared to 2010-2012 September.
  • Scott Taylor from thehuddle.co. The Jets played well last night, even without their Wheeler line. How good are they? Plus Bombers v Eskimos.
  • Ryan Batty from the Copper and Blue. Ryan has some interesting takes on the Nuge contract and who’s staying on the blue in Edmonton.
  • Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk Oiler roster, Eakins  press conferences and some Oil Kings.

10am, Team 1260. Twitter @Lowetide_ or 10-1260 texts. Hope you can tune in today!

71 Responses to "LOUD NOISES: IT’S ALL HAPPENING"

Harski with a goal and an assist today in KHL

2. Ivan says:

If I squint my eyes real hard, I can see a bit of a young Paul Coffee in Philip Larsen. Beautiful wheels, heads up, behind the other teams net….I know, I know- small sample size and all that , but still- kinda fun, and Smiley, (Eakins) seemed OK with it !
    (Sidebar comment: the reporters are a little cautious around Eakins, I’ve noticed a few withering death stares at dumb questions. Which probably means the MSM will be calling for his ouster, with a more doughnut-friendly replacement, by Christmas1)

3. wheatnoil says:

Ivan:

I think the reporters might be too scared to do even that!

4. sliderule says:

The word on the street for Pitlick is he has all the tools but zero hockey sense.

As the game is not that complicated maybe it will click in for him this year.It beteer if he wants a new contract.

5. Wolfie says:

I’m reminded of the quote by MacT about needing better bottom 6ers and that they need to have some offensive ability. They can’t put them out there when the best you can hope for is they don’t get scored on.

Pitlick looks good from far but is far from good.

7. regwald says:

8. tubes says:

How’s Martindale been? Haven’t paid much attention to him but Lander hasn’t looked good to my eye. He wins battles but that’s about it…

9. Karsa Orlong says:

Harski with a goal and an assist today in KHL

Been watching this game and Hartikainen is looking great. His skating is much better than i remember. On the downside Slepyshev has been invisible.

10. B S says:

tubes,

Martindale doesn’t even win battles, doesn’t get into position, and has had the same offense as Lander (arguably even fewer chances). By my eye the only actual flaw in Lander’s game at this level is that he can’t seem to score, he did pretty much everything else right last night, even down to supporting the D in their own end.

11. G Money says:

Wolfie: He’s a poor man’s Paajarvi. I’m not sure you can teach a desire to drive the puck to the net. He has NHL skating ability and that’s about it.

By that standard, Paajarvi himself is a poor man’s Paajarvi. He’s also got plus skating and a minus shot, and only this last season did he finally start taking the puck to net – and he still didn’t do it nearly as consistently as he needs to.

12. Radman says:

Lowetide: There’s no doubt Eakins is intense, but he’s also clearly a very intelligent guy. Better questions mean better answers. As a fan, I’m very pleased with how things are going. So, it works out well.

Agree LT. Lots of us were screaming for culture change and so far MacT and Eakins are putting there back into it. No BS replies to questions refreshing to me. Accountability extends outside the locker room as well ?

Eakins will likely rub people the wrong way at times, but that is OK too. We have been pushed around as a franchise long enough. Cory Schneider’s quote about the OIl last year was telling. Doubt you’ll hear that this year.

13. wheatnoil says:

regwald: I am okay with raising the bar with the MSM and the daily scrums. However, let’s not see this digress to the arrogance of Torts in Vancouver. The guy has changed at all since NY and his attitude is ridiculous.

14. BlacqueJacque says:

In other interesting news, both Nichushkin and Monahan had two-goal games recently. The Russian on Sunday put two past St. Louis goaltender Jake Allen. Monahan potted two in a split-squad game against the Islanders in Regina, and there’s no box score or video from that so… can’t tell you squat.

Magnus continues with his traditional 0-0-0 stat line in St. Louis, despite getting some power play time.

15. slopitch says:

After 3 weeks in Turkey/Greece and no hockey its nice to have it around again. Read your posts daily at 5pm LT. Some things dont change. Sat 2 rows behind Eakins on the way to Toronto on the way there. The spot beside him was open. Thought for 2 min about faking that the open seat was mine. Picking his brain for the flight woulda been great although I’m sure he’d rather just put on some headphones lol.

I’m tired of hearing about the promise of change, the new coach, the new year and Im anxious to see the opener. Cant help think this team is a different year but its been groundhog day for too long. I’m glad there seems to be legit competition and it doesn’t seem like we are penciling spots for below replacement level players. I’ll be routing like hell for depth guys to emerge. Our bottom 6 last year was an anchor. Excited to see this Belov guy.

Hopefully this Nuge deal gets done soon. I think it will. Let say the Oilers are able to lockup Nuge for $6×7. What happens if Yak tears it up this year? Think he’d agree to fit under the 6mill pay grid? I think he would but it puts the Oilers in a tough spot if he wont. Anyways. I love Yak and how much he loves hockey. I want to see him in yeg for 2 decades.

16. regwald says:

wheatnoil: Though I joke by Eakins’ scariness, I agree very much with LT on this one. Eakins is intense and seemingly humour-less, but he talks sense. He doesn’t come across as arrogant. He comes across as a guy with high expectations. There’s a difference between intense and emotionally reactive. Torts is emotionally reactive, often irrationally so. Eakins has a rational intensity that’s quite riveting to watch. I never watch media scrums in their entirety… I mean, they’re usually filled with cliches and bits of nothing. I’ve been watching Eakins though. I find I learn something new about his thought process every interview and it makes sense. Mini-MacT indeed.

I don’t disagree, but there’s a fine line between that intense and emotional approach and Torts overreacting emotionally.

17. HiddenDarts says:

Before the wife: boob man
    Once the wife came into the picture: booty man
    After last night’s game: feet man. Calm feet man.

18. denny33 says:

Winnipeg radio crew – oilers really thin on the back end….small forwards get pushed off the puck easily….

Exhibit A:

Sam Gagner winning the race to retrieve a puck in the corner – gears down to avoid hit – lets Jet take puck. ( the feared Ollie Jokinen no less )

Dallas Eakins meet Sam Gagner.

19. Radman says:

HiddenDarts: Am I the only one who saw Petry out there last night? Completely loved his work. Here’s my life progression:Before the wife: boob manOnce the wife came into the picture: booty manAfter last night’s game: feet man. Calm feet man.I’ve clearly been at this site too much, but I felt like Petry was all ridiculously calm feet and great plays last night. I know I should be focusing on fringe players (Oh Omark… Do something!), but I thought Petry was just electric.

So happy they have resisted trading him for a shinier penny. Hopefully a big piece in the top four for a long time .

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“everyone who SEES him says he’s a player and he has an insanely bad shooting percentage and since the dice have no memory Pitlick will surely improve someday–at least a little!”

In his PC, Eakins pretty much nailed the standard line on Pitlick:

“I thought he was trying early, there wasn’t much getting accomplished, but then uh… you know there’s something there with that kid we just gotta figure out how to get it out of him”

I think this is why Pitlick remains a player of interest and a cut above the other Fs from his draft year in a similar boat (Martindale and Hamilton).

Everyone that is in a position to know and evaluate comes away saying good things. And… yet the scorecard is always blank.

Eventually a light bulb will go off or people will finally move on. Here’s hoping the light bulb goes off.

———
    I think Larsen is really pushing for that 3 RD spot or at least the 7-8 spot. Eakins has praised him a couple of times now. And, last night he looked good moving the puck. If they can get him to tighten his game in his own end, he might be a real find.

Also, who asked if Larsen was too small? That was such a Spector question.

21. HiddenDarts says:

Radman: Seems like he is getting some man strength as well. Game likely slowing down for him with experience. Agree about the calm feet.

Agreed. Patience pays off. So glad the team isn’t run by NHL 13-worshiping bloggers. Uh, also glad it isn’t run by Tambellini.

Middle ground, friends. Love me some middle ground.

22. Zipdot says:

regwald: I like Eakins and his approach so far. But it is like MacT’s pressers. All good and positive, the results on the ice will be the tell tale test.

Let’s not forget that MacT had a winning record every single year he coached the Oilers…

The difference between Lander and Pitlick.

Pitlick looks a like a player, but generates ZERO boxcars with everybody he plays with.

Lander is a low-event non-flashy player, and produces boxcars when playing with good players.

24. Zipdot says:

What can a player do to improve his scoring %? Gotta pick better shots as well as take better shots… What helps with that? Half mental/half physical…

25. bookje says:

I wonder how much of Eakins seriousness is because he is coming into a team that has missed the playoffs 7 years in a row, where management/coaching has a history of being a joke, where some players seem not to be serious enough, etc…

I wonder if half way through the season if the team is showing absolute dedication and doing well if he might crack a joke and a smile and be a bit more ‘MacT like’.

Anyone know if he was ever smiley with the Marlies?

26. striatic says:

the point of no-return is if the coach walks out on interviews, or explicitly insults or becomes overly defensive.

death stares and limited passive aggressiveness is fine by me. Tortorella’s issue is something else. extreme defensiveness and active antagonism of the press.

it is a posture thing. Eakins has an upright posture whereas Tortorella is always leaning into the press. Vigneault was always leaning back.

posture isn’t the same as attitude though .. Krueger would always lean into the press positively overstating his points whereas Tortorella leans into the press negatively attacking.

the problem in both cases is a little too much engagement and a little too much emphasis on off ice communication instead of having the performance on the ice being the primary way the team explains itself.

27. regwald says:

striatic,

Good points.

I think when there is no performance by the team on the ice, the Oilers coaches try to defend something called “progress”.

28. Wolfie says:

Rom: That’s why Pitlick keeps getting looks is because he has all the attributes you look for. It’s like the hot chick with zero personality.

I hope Pitlick can turn it around. Buddy hasn’t shown a dominant offensive game at any level. I’m not holding out much hope.

29. LMHF#1 says:

I think Arcobello’s position is more a reflection of the center depth on this team than anything else. Granted my view of him is darkened by the ugly NHL game he played under less than ideal circumstances, but I just don’t see the potential in his game to make the leap to the next level.

There are guys who are simply very good AHL players. He would appear to be one of them.

Also, when it comes to Omark, the point is that he will deliver flashes. The vanilla guys won’t even do that. Also, judging Omark’s game via TV or radio is weak. He needs to be viewed live (as does everyone else frankly).

30. RMGS says:

Ok, I keep reading everywhere that Ryan Jones will be in the line-up on opening night. Is he clearly a better hockey player than all the other “bubble” players at camp? Position and contract notwithstanding, I think he’s also being evaluated and may lose out should another winger (Hamilton, Joensuu, Omark) make a better case. Eakins saw him bad enough last night to drop him down the line-up in the third, after all.

Plus, I can’t stand Ryan Jones.

31. B S says:

RMGS,

Because none of those guys you named can be expected to pot 15 goals this season (no, not even Omark with the way he’s playing), and he plays as hard as any of those guys, and back-checked better than all of them in the first and 3rd periods last night.

32. BlacqueJacque says:

RMGS,

Jones looked more effective than Arcobello, Pitlick and Hamilton combined. He’s consistently in front of the net, he’s got a nose for scoring goals that have no business going in and for all the talk of his defensive lapses and cheating for offense, he was out of position once to my eye. I know he plays ugly hockey, the kind that isn’t popular here, but he manages to make it work without giving up too much. Cleaner hockey players like Hamilton and Pitlick and Lander play the way most of us like hockey, but for the most part they don’t put up points. And it doesn’t matter if you help stop 90% of sorties if you can’t convert on enough of your own to make up for the 10% you let through to become chances.

33. Dominoiler says:

and Jones will?..

wrt Pitlick, my general vibe runs parallel with Wolfie’s sentiments (but grain of salt, cus def influenced from the comments last night).. “I have to disagree on Pitlick. His shooting percentage is poor because his shot selection is poor. I said it in the last thread. He’s a poor man’s Paajarvi. I’m not sure you can teach a desire to drive the puck to the net. He has NHL skating ability and that’s about it.”

At least PRV seemed to be coming around, driving hard to the net at times..

34. Colonel Obvious says:

Jones doesn’t do anything well. He isn’t big, he doesn’t hit, he isn’t a good defensive player. What exactly does he do? Answer: nothing.

That said he’s still way better than Pitlick.

35. RMGS says:

B S:
    RMGS,

We must have watched different games, because “back-checking” and “Ryan Jones” don’t usually go together. Perhaps you meant “cherry-picking.” :)

Seriously though, the only way he scores 15 goals if if he plays with some semblance of skill. If Ryan Jones slots in anywhere but on the 4th line with the current choices available, that shows a lack of judgment. Will playing with Lander and Eager help him score those 15 goals?

Also, sometimes a lot of commotion, falling down, and hair flow may seem like “playing hard” through grainy internet feeds.

36. HiddenDarts says:

Colonel Obvious,

Holy let’s poo on Ryan Jones!
    Frankly, I feel like he’s made the best case of all the fringe wingers. You can’t argue with results, and he does have a track record of getting them.

37. B S says:

RMGS: We must have watched different games, because “back-checking” and “Ryan Jones” don’t usually go together.Perhaps you meant “cherry-picking.”

Seriously though, the only way he scores 15 goals if if he plays with some semblance of skill.If Ryan Jones slots in anywhere but on the 4th line with the current choices available, that shows a lack of judgment.Will playing with Lander and Eager help him score those 15 goals?

First forward back on every backcheck for his line in the 1st period. On two of them he was down by the opposing net when he did it.

And sometimes playing hard isn’t pretty little pivots or dipsydoodle passes that end up going the other way *cough* Omark *cough* It’s pushing yourself to your physical limit to make or break the play. Sometimes it results in a lot of falling down, or arms flailing, but it will also give a better chance at a goal than stickhandling in a corner until you lose the puck.

Also, I never claimed he should be anything more than fourth line, I agree that’s where he should be slotted on this team (behind Hall, Perron, and an actual 3rd LW). Ideally the Oilers have the horses to keep him down there. I’m not claiming that Jones is the big, steady, reliable two-way winger the Oilers need/want, I’m just saying that he’s an actual hockey player who can get real results, Omark and Hamilton have not been those players this pre-season, Joenssu holds some promise.

38. G Money says:

B S: Also, I never claimed he should be anything more than fourth line, I agree that’s where he should be slotted on this team (behind Hall, Perron, and an actual 3rd LW).

Jones attracts a lot of criticism because a. he tends to cheat for offense, b. he falls down a lot (the C&B guys have dubbed him Tubthumper which is absolutely in the upper echelon of good nicknames!), c. he’s not particularly gifted offensively.

That said:
    - he does skate and hit
    - his “skill” is similar to Smytty’s skill: he’s willing to go to the hard areas of the ice, to the net, and try to hack slash and claw the puck into the net. This is an extremely valuable complementary skill to the high end flash that we already have, which is one of the reasons why Jones can be moved up the lineup when injuries occur

So the upshot of it is that
    - If you take a guy like Jones and put him on the fourth line against the other teams fourth line, his cheating for offense won’t usually hurt you, but his skating and willingness to go to the net will let him put up a few timely greasy goals
    - If you put him on the third line, his cheating for offense will get him lit up like a Christmas tree (as in the other team saying “thanks for the gifts!”)

You can be a very good team with Jones on the fourth line (and spot duty on the top two lines when injury calls).

You will be a bad team with Jones on the third line (or as a regular on the top two lines).

“Horses for courses” as they say.

39. rickithebear says:

Colonel Obvious: Jones doesn’t do anything well. He isn’t big, he doesn’t hit, he isn’t a good defensive player. What exactly does he do?

there is 5.5 minutes of PP time for a team..
    So there are 5.5 min of Pk time
    there are 49 minutes of Even strength time.

Ryan jones:
    10-11:
    15 ESG ranks #24 LW
    1 SHG tied for 8th LW
    #42 PK winger
    11-12
    12 ESG #49 LW
    2 SHG # 5
    #12 Pk winger

Before his injury Jones was a 13.2% shooter averaging 1.63 shots/gm.
    he averaged 11:27 EVTOI
    i would be happy with Jones pking 2:30 a night and playing 3/4 LW/RW for 10 minutes a night.?

B S: i see you knew the same thing.

At even strength we have 6 top 40 goals winger for there position.
    LW
    Hall #8
    Perron #30
    Smyth # 35
    W
    Eberle #4
    yak #12
    jones #38

40. Bank Shot says:

I’m not a big fan of Jones but I really doubt that Joensuu is going to prove to be a better player then him this season.

Joensuu is the shiny new toy.

41. Tarkus says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 5m

#Oilers assign D Brandon Davidson, RW Cameron Abney and LW Kale Kessy to @OKCBarons, also assign LW Mitchell Moroz to @EdmOilKings.

Oilers are now down to 41 on the roster:

4 G
    14 D
    23 F

42. supernova says:

Tarkus:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 5m

Oilers are now down to 41 on the roster:

4 G
    14 D
    23 F

No suprises here, aside from maybe a few more should have been sent down like, Martindale and miller. But miller is nursing a injury

Moroz needs to have a good season, the more he plays and gets used to the Oil Kings and earns a top 6 spot.

On that note with Samuelson going back to Oil kings already they should be pretty good team the whole way through. We will see how Reinhardt does with NYI.

43. supernova says:

sliderule:

sliderule,
    Wolfie,

I disagree with both of you on your thoughts about Pitlick.

Hockey sense is not something that Pitlick lacks, I am not going to say he is near anyone like RNH or Eberle in terms of hockey sense. He definitely is also not at the other end of the spectrum.

A poor mans Paajarvi. While I can see the comparison because of size and speed and low shooting percantage. I think that when you watch Pitlick a number of times you would come to a different conclusion.

Like many I am perplexed because I have seen him play probably 40 plus times over the last few years. I think he played much to young against men, and his body couldn’t handle the rigours of playing against men, he sustained injuries and a shaken confidence.

44. bones says:

LT, don’t you fancy getting a press pass? I’m sure you can do much better than:
    “What are you looking for when you’re on the bench?”
    “What’s today’s update on rnh?”
    “What do you think of Brown’s moustache?”
    Christ, I’d much rather listen to Connor than Shauger’s insight. I said “insight”.

45. spoiler says:

Per TSN, Luongo starting in net tonight and both Sedins will play.

Also, Scotty Bowman turned 80 years old today.

46. RMGS says:

B S: With regards to 15 goals, you might want to check his last two full seasons as an Oiler: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471323

But that’s just it; it’s only because he had those goal totals that he’s in the picture. What isn’t as obvious on nhl.com is that he gives away a lot more than he creates (not to mention that most of his teammates tend to perform better without him than with him): http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/5/6/2157593/ryan-jones-scoring-chances-2010-2011.

Ultimately, I’m arguing that the complete picture on Ryan Jones isn’t flattering enough to have him already penciled into the line-up on 1 October. If, as Eakins has suggested, all players have a clean slate with him, “Jonesey” better outperform the other wingers management has brought in.

47. Ribs says:

In case any were unaware, this game is to be broadcast on Sportsnet West tonight (8pm) *.

* according to the the team’s website, anyway.

48. "Steve Smith" says:

Tarkus,

Can anybody tell me why Cam Abney is no longer with this team?

49. Jordan says:

Ribs,

Are these “sportsnet” guys any more reliable than the Oilers Interweb feed?

I mean, they’re clearly no Justin.TV

50. Jordan says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Tarkus,

Can anybody tell me why Cam Abney is no longer with this team?

The Oilers have too much size and toughness.

Seriously man – keep up!

51. stevezie says:

“Steve Smith”,

I heard he got a weathergirl pregnant.

52. bookje says:

stevezie:
    “Steve Smith”,

I heard he got a weathergirl pregnant.

I think it was Tommy Salo’s weathergirl.

53. B S says:

RMGS,

Looked it up (on NHL.com) 2010-2011: 33 giveaways, 38 takeaways
    2011-2012: 47 giveaways, 46 takeaways (Nuge was 32 and 34 respectively)

even 12 and 10 last season with a bum eye.

lots of hits, plenty of blocked shots. Jones is actually a decent winger. As G Money said, he can play hockey as long as he’s given weaker minutes in general (bottom 6). Jones doesn’t make other players better, but he does make things happen singlehandedly.

I do agree that if we had better forwards that would kick him off the team we should probably take them, but I think you’re undervaluing his impact as a player. He’d be a 4th line player on a good, playoff quality team.

54. delooper says:

55. hunter1909 says:

I once drove a 9/10 chick half insane with pro-Barbarella commentary.

Jane Fonda trumps 90% of the alleged glamour queens in cinematic history in one fell swoop, with that single role.

Shame she had to go all radical, but wtf do I know about the 1960′s?

Re the Oilers: They seem to be on the right track. Time for us fans to stop pissing ourselves in September/October/November. Best to wait until February, when real NHL teams start their playoff preparation.

56. Zipdot says:

delooper: I’ve noticed Eakins has been very complimentary of a lot of people in the Oilers organization. He’s mentioned everyone in the coaching staff… except Buchburger and Steve Smith. Has he said something positive about them yet, beyond pat generic statements? He had a glowing complement of Chabot today.

He made it sound like if they screw up their assignments to improve special teams, then they’ll be held accountable.

57. hunter1909 says:

I’ve got Scots(Scotch) blood.

What’s not to like about a coach named Dallas?

58. hunter1909 says:

The Coach doesn’t give a fuck who he upsets, so long as he’s talking hockey.

Something tells me the higher ups are giggling with happiness, knowing that there’s someone who isn’t afraid to put his head on the chopping block for ‘the team’.

59. OilLeak says:

sliderule,

Pitlick is Patrick O’Sullivan with less hockey sense(which is pretty damning). Pitlick is not getting overwhelmed with the speed of the game, he just has no idea what to do with the puck. How Pitlick played last night is exactly how he’s played in OKC to date. Pitlick gets the puck, gains the zone, then has zero clue what to do with the puck afterwards, so he panics and fires the puck at the goalie. Rinse and repeat.

I keep waiting for an improvement with this player, but so far nothing so I no longer expect the light-bulb to turn on either.

60. Zipdot says:

Anyone following how Brule is doing in his tryout with the Coyotes? Or old Ryan Whitney in Missouri?

61. OilLeak says:

Zipdot,

Whitney is on his way to the glue factory, I can’t see him sticking with the blues.

62. Bag of Pucks says:

Ah, Barbarella / Barefoot in the Park era Jane Fonda.

The only redheads that can even come close to Saigon Jane in her prime are Jessica Rabbit and Ann Margrock and they’re friggin’ cartoon characters.

She was ‘da body’ then and still looks pretty good at the impossible to believe age of 75 now. Conclusion>? A) Aerobics are good for you & B) Ted Turner’s money was well spent.

Well played LT. Well played.

63. Bag of Pucks says:

Hanoi Jane not Saigon Jane (obviously)

64. Bar_Qu says:

He is a proven commodity as an NHL player, a quality many of the guys excelling pre-season lack. I think he is a value in either the 3 or 4 line.

And the word on Hamilton from pre-pre-season seems to be correct. If I remember correctly, wasn’t he the guy referred to as “sticking like a bad smell”? Did all the little things correctly, though never stood out as a defensive liability?

Seems like he’s done that in so far. Welcome to the Oil.

65. Numenius says:

Bar_Qu:

That was Acton, not Hamilton. I believe the quote was, “He’s like a bad smell that never goes away.”

66. hunter1909 says:

Bar_Qu: I honestly don’t see how there isn’t a place for a Ryan Jones on this team. Even with RNH back and Hall at LW.

Haven’t you heard? Lowetide and his ball-lickers have decreed Jones is a shit NHLer.

Similarly, 6 million dollar man Horcoff was a ‘great’ Oiler.

Hilariously, Hork’s babysitting Tyler ‘I want to go home’ Seguin in Texas, while Ryan’s still an Oiler by the metric I always use = he’s still on the team.

67. OilClog says:

Jones is a decent bottom 6 winger

When healthy, he hits, puts up 15-20 goals, clearly one of the most positive players on the team.. has anyone seen him do anything but smile? These types are always needed on a team.

As it stands I’ll take Jones over the rest of the bottom fodder we’ve assembled for his position, his salary cap hit is non-existent, you know exactly what you’ll get out of him every game. He understands his role, cause shit, don’t touch the puck until it’s 2ft from the back of the net, then WHACK WHACK WHACK.. we need him.

68. LMHF#1 says:

OilClog:

This is one of the main reasons that I hate the way the guy plays. This is never the proper play when the puck comes to you in front of the net. You’re very fortunate if the puck goes in.

He scores a bunch of his goals cheating for offense and at least he does cash some breakaways…but he gives up a bunch more than he gets. Not to mention the lost opportunities when he leaves the offensive zone early…which is still an incredibly weird thing to see. A guy cheating in both directions and at the wrong time.

69. 8p0intgame says:

hunter1909,

This feels more than a little hostile…

70. stevezie says:

8p0intgame,

That’s the risk you take by bothering to read his comments.

71. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

bones: What’s today’s update on rnh?”

7x6M