Good news today from the Oilers, as negotiations for the kid center are underway. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is still a teenager but his sublime talent in the middle is one of the key elements of this young club’s future.
I can see the contract coming in at or near the Hall/Eberle deals, but would be pleased if it was longer (let’s be greedy, dammit!), perhaps into the ’20s. Some may argue he deserves less, I would refer you to his rookie season and all those incredible passes–this guy is an outstanding young talent! Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is an outstanding talent, a cornerstone block of a strong foundation. This is great news after a long day.
The Oilers sent away 10 more players today, no surprises but still no Cameron Abney or Ty Rimmer. Minor leaguers R Matt Ford, R Austin Fyten, C CJ Stretch and L Derek Nesbitt sent away along with prospects:
- D Martin Gernat: Those who rip MBS forget about this gem, taken in the deep dark recesses of the 2011 draft (5th round, 122nd overall). He’s a tall, rail thin kid who may need as many as three seasons in the south but there’s some nice arrows on this player dating back to his first season in the WHL. Plenty of progress in junior from Gernat.
- D David Musil: Maybe the most watched draft pick Edmonton’s made in a decade, Musil is like that Seinfeld episode where the girl looks pretty or ugly depending on how the light shines. Musil has the ability to play defense, but his foot speed is a major issue.
- C Travis Ewanyk: Turns pro and goes to OKC with questions about his offense. He’s a physical player but he’s going to have to score goals to get above the event horizon at the pro level.
- G Olivier Roy: He got a chance in an NHL game, the results were poor. Roy is the best prospect goalie in the system, but it’s also true that goaltending is the greatest area of need. He’s going to have some company by spring in the prospect department.
- G Tyler Bunz: I’m not certain what to expect from him this season. Bunz had a difficult time with pro hockey one year ago.
- D Joey Leach: Interesting player, he showed well early in camp and it’ll be interesting to see where he plays this winter.
The big mystery is Abney’s remaining on the club. I have no answer for that one. None.