(NO LONGER A DISTANT) BELOV

Barring anything else happening to him–there’s always a chance security at Rexall will turn him away tonight–Anton Belov will finally make his Oilers debut. It’s a pretty big deal, as the current hopefuls haven’t done enough to establish themselves in the #6 or #7 role on the roster. There’s a very large opportunity here, and Belov is likely to get a long look this week.

belov1

Belov’s signing can be directly attributed to Matti Virmanen, the Finnish scout Edmonton hired during the Tambellini administration. Since he arrived, Edmonton has drafted several players from Virmanen’s region: Samu Perhonen, Frans Tuohimaa, Erik Gustafsson, Bogdan Yakimov and Anton Slepyshev (as I understand it, Virmanen covers Sweden, Finland, WHC’s, Russia, pretty much everywhere over there).

He’s also being credited for two pro hires this summer: Anton Belov and Jesse Joensuu. Joensuu has impressed enough to be considered by some as a lock for the roster, and tonight we see Belov.

• MacT: “I describe him as a guy who really makes good purposeful quick decisions with the puck. He really moves the puck up ice quickly. He doesn’t look for too many more options. That’s what stood out about him. He’s strong and physical on the boards. He battles hard … shoots the puck well so he’s got a chance. The game is a little quicker here on the smaller ice. That will be an adjustment for him, but a really impressive guy.”

Joanne Ireland’s article includes that quote and more, and it is here.

He will play with Denis Grebeshkov if the lineups released yesterday hold. It’s exciting, reminds me of the old days when Slats would bring in some guy we’d never heard of and take him for a spin. Sometimes the guy would turn out to be Kari Makkonen, but other times they’d end up being Jaroslav Pouzar.

Or better.

54 Responses to "(NO LONGER A DISTANT) BELOV"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Barring anything else happening to him–there’s always a chance security at Rexall will turn him away tonight–Anton Belov will finally make his Oilers debut.”

There are four exhibition games left… I’d be tempted to hold Belov out till Monday’s game to give him a bit more time to acclimatize, train, practice, skate and scrimmage. I’d hate to not put him in a position to succeed and there is still a lot of time left in the pre-season, if he plays the final 3 games.

Also, Gregor is reporting that Belov prefers the right side… I did not know that:

———–

“Belov’s signing can be directly attributed to Matti Virmanen”

Can we absolve him from Petrell? Was that all Stevey Y and Tambo?

Was Musil the man that got MBS to put Gernat’s name on the draft list? I gather he covers central/east Europe? i.e., Marincin, Pelss etc?

I have very high hopes for Belov. He could make the 3rd pairing as good as many 2nd pairings in the NHL which is pretty big advantage.

LT, do you know who was the Euro Scout responsible for Finns/Cze back in the Fraser days?

He has a nice list:

Jari Kurri 1980 draft 4th round 69th overall
    Jaroslav Pouzar 1982 draft 4th round 83rd overall
    Raimo Summanen 1982 draft 6th round 125th overall
    Esa Tikkanen 1983 draft 4th round 80th overall

Much like Fraser, they started hitting blanks in Europe until 1989 and Anatoli Semenov (6th round, 120th overall)

Yeah, he appears to cover pretty much everything. Which is impossible, because that’s a pretty big region. As for Gernat, I think MacGregor tracked him, don’t know who would have been the bird dog beyond Musil.

Woodguy:
    I have very high hopes for Belov.He could make the 3rd pairing as good as many 2nd pairings in the NHL which is pretty big advantage.

He has a nice list:

Jari Kurri 1980 draft 4th round 69th overall
    Jaroslav Pouzar 1982 draft 4th round 83rd overall
    Raimo Summanen 1982 draft 6th round 125th overall
    Esa Tikkanen 1983 draft 4th round 80th overall

I can look it up, but honestly I think Fraser scouted the world, maybe with some bird dogs here and there. He would have seen Kurri at the 1980 Olympics, and Tikkanen played in Regina for a year iirc.

5. Gret99zky says:

when do tryouts end?

I hope the Oilers use a couple of pre-season games to let the starting roster guys gel and execute the systems.

The last thing this team needs is to start slow out of the gates.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It would make sense to have someone cover off Nordic countries and another central… still though you’d want to have more people over there, no?

Does anyone know if Nordmark works over there too?

I think with the emerging hockey countries (Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Swiss, Norway, etc.) they are going to dribble out excellent players in the next decade. A couple of teams could really gain an edge with aggressive scouting in these areas. I want that to be the Oil.

———–
    Yak hates to lose:

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    When I have a bad practice or a bad game –> RT @yakcitybelieve Biggest pet peeve? (Yakupov) #OilersQA

Hall hates to lose:

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    The winning culture –> RT @uhally What does Hall miss most about playing in Windsor? #OilersQA #Spitfires

They play tonight, Monday and Tuesday, and then don’t play until Friday. I think we’ll see a lot of cuts soon, but they might now come until after the Tuesday game.

8. Gret99zky says:

I think solidifying the roster soon would benefit the team. Make them confident and familiar with their linemates.

So they are ready for the Jets and Canucks when the games count.

Lowetide: I can look it up, but honestly I think Fraser scouted the world, maybe with some bird dogs here and there. He would have seen Kurri at the 1980 Olympics, and Tikkanen played in Regina for a yeariirc.

Yeah, Tikk played 2 games for the Pats, then moved down to the SJHL and played for the Pat Blues (according to hockeydb)

Didn’t know that.

Gret99zky:
    I think solidifying the roster soon would benefit the team.Make them confident and familiar with their linemates.

So they are ready for the Jets and Canucks when the games count.

I agree in theory, but it’s tough when no one will grab the job. If we can agree the following are open competitions:

6D
    7D
    4C
    4R

I don’t see anyone tearing up the blacktop.

11. Lloyd B. says:

I’m squarely in Woodguys corner regards Belov. He is the one I have the highest hopes for to really solidify this defense. If he is a cut above the rest of the Wannabes then for the first time in many years we will have a bona fide NHL defense corps. Yes missing the Big #1 but I think this group works well by committee until our #1s start graduating onto the team.

12. Gret99zky says:

I’m a little worried about the lines though. Eakins wants Hall with the vets (smyth, hemmer) but is that going to be the first line going into the season? What about the D pairings? Is Eakins going to mix them up all the way to October 1st?

I say make some decisions and get these guys used to being out there together.

I love the way Nurse has looked so far out there but giving him 9 games or whatever and not keeping him up (they should definitely send him down) risks losing valuable points.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m extremely bullish on Belov, but I am preparing myself for him looking bad tonight, perhaps very bad.

He’s still having trouble sleeping (according to his interview yesterday) with the time change and hasn’t had much time to acclimatize. He hasn’t played a proper scrimmage in camp yet and will have to adjust to the rink size, forecheck and speed of the game.

And he is going to be paired with Grebs, who is looking amazing/terrible at the same time. It looks like Belov is in to babysit for Grebs… but for a first game that is a lot of responsibility.

I am preparing for some wild over-interpretation of a poor performance tonight.

14. "Steve Smith" says:

I think that we will be able to say with confidence whether this is a playoff team based on Belov’s performance tonight.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”:

That’s the spirit!

I wish we had Khabibulin. I imagine Belov wandering the streets aimlessly on Super Bowl Sunday.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Maybe the team can hire on a few friends for various players. Give Belov Klima for the days off.

Hahaha. And maybe get Corson for Nuge!

19. Andropod says:

Interesting that we have two tall, light players with a high level of talent, one of which should be sent down no matter how well he plays (Nurse), the other that is considered possibly able to give us a playoff contending blue line. The reason being youth/immaturity and a 50/50 chance of success for Nurse. Yet, we put Jultz up there as well as our top drafted forwards, Hall, Yak, Nuge.

I get it that Nurse has the young frame and mind, but so did little Nuge and young Yak, albeit forwards – that still got their fair share of attention from the toughs. I don’t pretend to be an expert on this sport, so it doesn’t matter to me either way, I’m just interested to know why it’s so different between an exceptional forward and an exceptional D who could be the next Larry Robinson. Providing Darnell can keep up the same level of play, which I suppose even the others had to do to stay on the team. Drew Doughty too I suppose down in LA.

But if Darnell continues to be one of the top producing defenders, game after game, that’s what puzzles me about the whole thing of sending him down nonetheless.

Andro: there’s a world of difference between playing wing and playing defense. The #1 overall forwards arrived with tremendous skill and adjusted quickly. Nurse is not only playing a more difficult position, he’ll be giving up 40 pounds in some battles.

I love the kid, that game the other night was splendid. too splendid, really. But the right call on a defenseman is to send him back. No exceptions.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Andropod,

I wouldn’t describe J. Schultz as “tall.”

22. Andropod says:

Thanks LT!
    Rom: My comparison is with Belov. 6’3″, 185 lbs.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Andropod,

In that case, I wouldn’t describe Belov as “light.” Yesterday from NHL.com

“The 6-foot-4, 212-pound Russian”

Though… we’ve seen wildly differing numbers around the web. My suspicion is the lighter number is the number back when he was scouted as draft eligible. Over in the KHL so long, I don’t think people bothered to keep up. But it certainly makes sense that if he’s aged and there are two numbers reported by credible sources, the heavier one is the right one.

Also, you need to read “Steve Smith” as if he’s writing with a mild case of “Steve Smith.”

If “Steve Smith” is experiencing “Steve Smith” of any kind, it would help if he presented himself as “”"Steve Smith”"”

25. Andropod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Now we know why he took so long. He must have been on Jenny Cr@ig :).

and this:

“I describe him as a guy who really makes good purposeful quick decisions with the puck. He really moves the puck up ice quickly,” MacTavish said of the six-foot-three, 185-pound blue-liner.”

But what you say does actually make sense. We’ll see soon enough tonight.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

¡”Steve Smith”! ?

Andropod,

Yea, I’ve seen both numbers (sometimes a third) around in credible sources. It was the subject of some discussion here (IIRC) when he was signed.

HockeyDB seems to often have the numbers from NHL combine results and they rarely get updated. But weights and measures in the NHL will never be a thing of great transparency.

FWIW, his official player page has 6’4″ 212

27. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    ¡”Steve Smith”! ?

FWIW, his official player page has 6’4″ 212

Then that’s likely what he was measured at during medical when he arrived.

28. dawgtoy says:

Matti Virmanen has certainly demonstrated an ability to find talent, both amateur and professional. It’s unfortunate the North American professional scouts aren’t worth a pinch of shit. Gare, Semenko, Abbamont, Sutter … Bueller…Bueller…Bueller.

29. hunter1909 says:

I haven’t seen a millisecond other than highlights this year. Preseason is for suckers. That’s my MPS(preseason hat trick) experience.

How has young Schultz been? Is he even playing?

Yakupov’s going(Pavel Bure) supernova. 45+ goals, and more maybe.

Once he’s done it, everyone says they knew it was going to happen.

30. ASkoreyko says:

To further add to the confusion over Belov’s size this article on NHL.com contradicts itself within the same article:

At first they state he is 6’4″ 219lb and then he is 6’3″ 185lb. Seems a little odd.

Although this might be the same case of David Perron growing an inch and putting on 20 lbs when he was traded from the Blues to the Oilers. Perhaps Lowe just eyeballs a guy and writes down his stats.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ASkoreyko:

I’m guessing cut and paste job and lack of editing/fact checking.

32. hunter1909 says:

ASkoreyko: Perhaps Lowe just eyeballs a guy and writes down his stats.

With “President Many Rings”, anything is possible.

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m guessing cut and paste job and lack of editing/fact checking.

Just tweeted that she got it from the Oilers TC guide, which makes sense. She’d be looking for the latest available, suspect Oilers TC guide is incorrect.

34. hunter1909 says:

Who’s got time?

35. Oilanderp says:

I’m looking forward to seeing Rimmer tonight.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

As I speculated the other day, looks like they inverted the 3 and 4 lines

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    Tonight’s #Oilers forwards: Smyth-Hall-Hemsky, Perron-Gagner-Eberle, Hamilton-Khaira-Yakupov and Jones-Acton-Brown.

that looks more balanced already.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hunter1909: Who’s got time?

Morris Day.

Romulus Apotheosis: Morris Day.

Jungle Love!

Oh E Oh E Oh!

Woodguy: Jungle Love!

Oh E Oh E Oh!

Man. NEVER thought we’d get there! Just want to shout out to Sheila E!!!!

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Man. NEVER thought we’d get there! Just want to shout out to Sheila E!!!!

One of my favorites:

Another great lady Prince collaborator, Sheena Easton has easily one of the best sleazy songs ever. It’s so raunchy it’s hilarious

and, of course, prince wrote it:

Sugar Walls is probably the sleaziest song Prince wrote for a lady, runners up would include:

Apollonia 6: “Sex Shooter”
    Vanity 6: “Nasty Girl”
    Prince and Shelia E: “Erotic City”

41. Maggie the Monkey says:

I’m getting confused. I don’t think “Steve Smith” means what it used to mean.

42. spoiler says:

Damn… Are we calling Prince “Prince” again? I noticed that the fancy symbol page on my phone doesn’t have his fancy symbol.

43. "Steve Smith" says:

Maggie the Monkey:
    I’m getting confused.I don’t think “Steve Smith” means what it used to mean.

No kidding – it used to be about the music, man – what happened?

“Steve Smith”: No kidding – it used to be about the music, man – what happened?

SOMEONE agreed to do Sgt Pepper with Aerosmith!

“Steve Smith”: No kidding – it used to be about the music, man – what happened?

Bendelson sold out man.

Fucking Bendelson.

46. DeadmanWaking says:

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.

Love that quote. I couldn’t agree with this more. But there are many stripes of “common” sense, and many stripers dancing. Boom chugga lugga boom.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

The real question with Krueger is not whether his system had flaws (it did) but how clearly he perceived these flaws, and whether he was capable of making prompt, effective adjustments given a full camp. The correct answer is “we’ll never know”. MacT let him go over differences in philosophical alignment, on the grounds that you go to war with the players your GM procures.

There is no more miserable human being than one in whom nothing is habitual but indecision.

Personally, I think Tambi decided not to decide. He had the happy grin of a man thinking “gosh this job would be tough, if I were actually doing it”.

Is life worth living? It all depends on the liver.

My liver got a good workout last night during an Iron Man 2 and Iron Man Five More two-fisted double header (either I’m not counting Nick Fury whose only apparent superpower in this movie is firing on his own US of A nuke-toting aircraft and keeping his job, or SJ is the other half of the twosome that purports to be a sequel). “I would do whatever I wanted to do, with whomever I wanted to.” Poor Tony. His last ever birthday is a regular Tuesday night. And he doesn’t even need a 3D printer. Two words: liquid elastomer. The difficulty lies in turning your expired intimates into a nice set of goalie pads without recreating a scene from Fargo or La Femme Nikita. There’s nothing that announces “you’ve arrived on the bottom rung” like discovering your hot date’s tramp stamp contains a resin code, so I think home printing will really catch on—despite the uncomfortable spring cleaning. Note to the closet enthusiast: a little fact checking on celebrity likeness goes a long ways. Trust me, you’ve got time. Either now, or later.

Everybody should do at least two things each day that he hates to do, just for practice.

All from William James, from the puck-blocking / back-checking school of tough knocks.

47. thejonrmcleod says:

Adding to the confusion about Belov is the speculation that he could be part owl. From Gregor’s article:

“He prefers to play the right side, despites hooting left….”

thejonrmcleod:

“He prefers to play the right side, despites hooting left….”

Hahahahaha. hahahahahah. Man. Funny. I feel better about Ty Rummer now!

49. wheatnoil says:

DeadmanWaking: Personally, I think Tambi decided not to decide.He had the happy grin of a man thinking “gosh this job would be tough, if I were actually doing it”.

Hilariously true!

thejonrmcleod:

“He prefers to play the right side, despites hooting left….”

Maybe that’s just the way he hold the bong?

DeadmanWaking,

My wife got this tramp stamp.

52. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”: No kidding – it used to be about the music, man – what happened?

Steve, you have change it up to keep it fresh – what about Sjeve Smijh?

53. Ryan says:

Off topic, but what’s the situation in Detroit? It’s hard to imagine the city of Detroit supporting an NHL franchise in another 3-4 years.

54. Ryan says: