NUGE!

The news is out, all over town. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is skating and has all of his fingers and toes!

• Nuge“I think I’m going to be on the ice with the guys right away. I’ll probably wear a yellow [no contact] jersey to start. It’s feeling good and I’m just excited to get back here and get going. It feels good right now, but I know it has to heal and I have to get my strength back. There are going to be a lot of discussions with the doctor and the medical staff over the next few weeks. I’ve just got to make sure it’s 100 percent before I go out there.”

That story is here.

If you live in Edmonton, chances are you know some of the stories going around about the Nuge’s injury this summer. Hey, I’ve been hearing these kinds of rumors for decades, and absolutely knew in my heart of hearts he’d be fine.

Still nice to hear it from the young man, though.

Matty has an article here.

54 Responses to "NUGE!"

1. Hammers says:

Lets hope he starts the season .

2. fifthcartel says:

I feel like he’s going to play opening night. Plus, that tweet by Matheson got me hoping for a Hall-esque bounce back season. Lets just hope he doesn’t trip and fall on whyte ave a week before the season starts.

3. BamBam says:

If nuge stays healthy for the whole season for the first time since he’s started playing in the nhl I think we will see him have his breakout season this year!!

4. Suntory Hanzo says:

TSN predicts Nuge 63 13 32 45

And no supernova for Hall!

5. mumbai max says:

Suntory Hanzo,

If TSN predicts no supernova then it is almost certain to happen!

Nuge 65 points in 70 games. Hall 95 in 82.

6. dawgtoy says:

Suntory Hanzo,

I like it when we prove them wrong.

7. DeadmanWaking says:

Suntory Hanzo,

Actually, there are only five players on that list with real clearance over Hall in PPG, which is cusp of nova in my books. A full season and an extra point per month puts him on par with Ovie.

I’ve become quite a student of the interview lately. I find I’m consuming more and more media in interview format. It’s hard to put your finger on what makes an interviewer good, not so hard to pinpoint what makes an interview bad (majority of cases: failure to sufficiently follow up on the point of interest). I think some interviewers realize this, but take a pass our of fear that going so deep on one topic derails the broader agenda. (Note: I haven’t made the time to listen to LT’s show yet so these comments don’t reflect here. I get a satisfying dose from this fine blog already, and my preference when the moment strikes is usually long-format interviews one on one.)

Nuge was using the tactic from pretty early of speaking every answer with end-of-interview finality, not so much to rush the process, but to allow the interview to end at the earliest opportunity. It was going into extra innings on his account. They end up getting about a minute worth of good material, but even those statements are just the outermost layer of the onion.

I don’t totally buy the subtext that this kind of surgery is little more than proactive pain management. He hid the other considerations behind the word “confidence” which is a favourite cubbyhole among athletes for all the objective stuff they’d rather not think about, because it doesn’t help them perform in the here and now.

He’s his own man, though. You can tell already. His use of the wishy-washy cliche is the least convincing. Inside that mind, it’s edges all the way down. We’ll never really see it, except out there on the ice.

8. fifthcartel says:

Isn’t it a bit strange to call a press conference to talk about a player you didn’t trade?

The most common reason for a player to call a PC is to announce their retirement.

Hope not.

Woodguy:

Hope not.

Me too. Man, that would suck.

11. delooper says:

What press conference are you talking about, 5th and Woodguy? … just looked at Lowetide’s Twitter feed. Looks like the Hemsky PC tomorrow morning at 9am?

delooper: …

Yes. Maybe good, but most likely bad.

13. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Woodguy:

Hope not.

Another strong possibility IMO is that Hemsky will for forgo the final year of his contract to play for HC Lev Praha in the KHL.

14. Suntory Hanzo says:

mumbai max,

Those numbers look a lot better to me. Hall is my favorite player. Want him to slay it to prove Olympics should be in the mix.

I wasn’t antagonizing. Just a point of discussion, especially after the Bowiefest we all loved. That being said, I would be curious what TSNs ‘reasonable expectations’ would be.

15. mumbai max says:

This could explain the Omark signing. They knew Hemsky wanted to leave for Europe and backfilled with a similar cheaper option. Win/win/win

16. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    TSN predicts Nuge 63 133245

And no supernova for Hall!

It’s quite likely that Hall has already gone “supernova”.

Stamkos:

18 – 23G 23A 46P (limited ice time)

19 – 51G 44A 95P

20 – 45G 46A 91P

21 – 60G 37A 97P

Hall turned 21 back in November.

His 91 pro-rated points last season may be close to his zenith.

17. jzed says:

Hemsky plus, plus, plus for Weber? If not, what else is there to talk about? “Me and Ales have the highest respect for each other…blah blah blah”?

18. mumbai max says:

Dead Cat Bounce: It’s quite likely that Hall has already gone “supernova”.

Stamkos:

18 – 23G 23A 46P (limited ice time)

19 – 51G 44A 95P

20 – 45G 46A 91P

21 – 60G 37A 97P

Hall turned 21 back in November.

His 91 pro-rated points last season may be close to his zenith.

It seems like an unlikely scenario for any player to peak at 21.

19. Dead Cat Bounce says:

mumbai max: It seems like an unlikely scenario for any player to peak at 21.

In general terms, I agree with you but the league has been slowly shifting to younger and younger players performing starring roles at earlier ages.

Ovechkin’s best season was age 22.

Patrick Kane 21

Jonathan Toews 21

Eric Staal 21

Do these players have another gear or did they mature early and plateau?

Of course there are many players who reached their peak later…generally around 25 but the curve has definitely shifted to younger.

20. Kitchener says:

I’m hoping Hemsky stays and they’re announcing a discount contract extension.

Alternatively, every other option is plausible: Captain, retirement, trade, buy-out…

After a summer of substantial change, this PC is especially hard to predict.

mumbai max: It seems like an unlikely scenario for any player to peak at 21.

Gretzky’s 2nd best season is when he turned 22 in the middle of it.

22. delooper says:

Ales is pregnant!

23. delooper says:

Woodguy: Gretzky’s 2nd best season is when he turned 22 in the middle of it.

I don’t think Gretzky considered his 2nd season to be his best. Presumably you’re just talking about point totals, goals and such. Coarse stats.

24. Dead Cat Bounce says:

delooper: I don’t think Gretzky considered his 2nd season to be his best.Presumably you’re just talking about point totals, goals and such.Coarse stats.

How else do you measure “supernova”?

25. dawgtoy says:

Taylor Hall! Top ranked left winger in fantasy hockey.

26. jp says:

Kitchener:
    I’m hoping Hemsky stays and they’re announcing a discount contract extension.

Alternatively, every other option is plausible:Captain, retirement, trade, buy-out…

After a summer of substantial change, this PC is especially hard to predict.

I’m with you on lack of predictability and multiple possible outcomes.

The only one I can’t see is the captain thing.

My two best guesses are contract extension (hoping) and mutual buyout. But damn, who knows…

Otherwise, good to hear Nuge is progressing well.

27. delooper says:

Dead Cat Bounce: How else do you measure “supernova”?

I wonder if this link will work.. http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cms/cpg15x/albums/userpics/supernovaclassification1.gif

Supernovae are classified on the spectrum at peak power output. Using point totals is kind of like classifying by peak power output, with no spectrum at all.

28. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Now here’s an item from the WTF file.

Edmonton car impresario Mike Priestner is set to buy the Saskatoon Blades and appoint former CFRN staffer and Katz Group mouthpiece Steve Hogle as his Team President:

29. Dead Cat Bounce says:

delooper: I wonder if this link will work..http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cms/cpg15x/albums/userpics/supernovaclassification1.gif

Supernovae are classified on the spectrum at peak power output.Using point totals is kind of like classifying by peak power output, with no spectrum at all.

Ah…

The Minkowski Factor ®.

I should have thought of that. :)

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Now here’s an item from the WTF file.

31. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: Steve Hogle is a class guy. I’ve worked with him twice in my career, excellent at his job and a very hard worker.

I know him very well.

Also have worked with him and concur he’s a class act.

While I know he’s a huge hockey fan (and player) moving from the Katz Group to Saskatoon is a little odd to me.

DSF: Big move up in position, though. I think that’s a position he takes because of what it might mean 5 years down the road.

33. Dead Cat Bounce says:

On sober (more or less) second thought, I would wager a decent sum that this is a prelude to the OKC Barons moving to Saskatoon for the 14/15 season.

The obvious connection between Katz and Priestner and the seconding of Hogle to Saskatoon just has too many intertwined webs.

Of course, I always thought Lee Harvey Oswald was a CIA plant. :)

34. Kitchener says:

jp,

I’d be VERY surprised if Hemsky was named Captain, especially by MacT before camp starts, but a guy like Hemsky is much more plausible as Captain than guys like Jones/Petry/Dubnyk. He wouldn’t be my pick, but I’m not in the room.

I’d bet Hemsky’s a goner. The only question is, do we get cap space in return or picks/players?

Flussssshhhhh…………..

35. dangilitis says:

@Lowetide -

This is why you are my favorite blogger:

April 21st, 2013
    “The Nuge thing. This is what I wrote yesterday: dumping on the Oilers for the Nuge situation is fair based on their own past in the injury/surgery department. However, there must have been a conversation between the team, player, agent and doctors that established:

he could not make the injury more severe by playing
    that he agreed surgery was the off-season option and that rehab would no longer work

I also think we’re guessing about surgery, recovery and rehab for next season. It could be like Hall, or it could be longer or shorter. There’s enough evidence against the Oilers to bury them on this, when we get into hyperbole we (imo) lose the center of the argument.”

Contrast it to these guys:

As you can see in the comments section, I went off on chappy because I was frankly sick of some of the CnB writers’ bullshit pessimistic views ad nauseaum faulting management for all of the world’s ills (although mostly true, it gets tiresome). I was especially irate, after he implied with an absolute lack of knowledge, I might add, that the medical team/Oilers “should have… taken care of [this] months ago”. He also goes on to say “it wouldn’t at all shock me if we didn’t see Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in an Oiler jersey until November or later.” I go on to debate with virtuall every member of the CnB on a variety of topics related to the injury, and then gvblackhawk, a doctor who suggests he knows something about shoulders (albeit an oral and maxillofacial surgeon), also gets into it with me. When all is said and done, they basically did “get into hyperbole and lose the basic argument” – which was (a) RNH was not putting himself in danger or at higher risk for worse shoulder problems by carrying on playing with torn labrum, (b) maybe it was timed right (e.g. when playoff hopes faded, and in time for starting the season, and (c) RNH has free will, and the medical staff should have advised him appropriately and we should trust this based on our lack of knowledge of all of the facts.

I hope he starts in Octoner, and can’t fucking wait so I can shove it all of their arrogant faces. But you are too humble to do that, Nostradamus, I mean, LT.

36. unca miltie says:

Dead Cat Bounce: I know him very well.

Also have worked with him and concur he’s a class act.

Met his dad a few times, comes from good stock. Small town this Alberta.

37. "Steve Smith" says:

I spent some time in a Viet Cong prison camp with Steve Hogle – real class act.

38. Dead Cat Bounce says:

“Steve Smith”:
    I spent some time in a Viet Cong prison camp with Steve Hogle – real class act.

Did he have a chance to tell you about the Jasper Park Lodge laundry van and the bicycle?

39. Hammers says:

Hell I would go for an extension, problem is how much , how long ??? would get Hemmer back on board plus it could make him tradeable especially if say $ 10 mill for 3 years . oh well only 12 hours.

40. jp says:

Kitchener:
    jp,

I’d be VERY surprised if Hemsky was named Captain, especially by MacT before camp starts, but a guy like Hemsky is much more plausible as Captain than guys like Jones/Petry/Dubnyk.He wouldn’t be my pick, but I’m not in the room.

I’d bet Hemsky’s a goner.The only question is, do we get cap space in return or picks/players?

Flussssshhhhh…………..

In general I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Hemsky was traded, but who gets a press conference, with the GM, for getting traded? Horcoff didn’t sit down with MacT to discuss being dumped, why would Hemsky? I’m probably missing something, but I can’t recall any press conference where a traded player joined the GM who traded him to “chat” about the 3rd rounder they got for him. Anything seems possible at this point though, so who knows.

My guess is still a contract extension – partly due to wishful thinking, and partly due to the other options not being conducive to a joint PC.

41. Numenius says:

I’m with DCB. It’ll be a retirement from the NHL and move to the KHL. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

42. Ribs says:

At this point I’m just hoping it’s not an injury or illness with Hemsky.

Nice to hear Nuge’s shot has improved since last season.

43. Kris11 says:

Yikes. Am scared.

If the press conference is just to say “We are happy Hemsky is staying and he is happy, too” then why does 83 –famoulsy bad at interviews– want or have to be there? Doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe I’m wrong.

And why would you give the captaincy to a guy that you’ve said you might trade and who is on the last year of his deal who has underperformed in the eyes of fans and lost games to injury and may lose more. Makes no sense. Maybe as one of a number of rotating captains, but not by himself.

Signing an extension at this point seems absurd for both parties. Hemsky would surely think he can have a better this year than the last few and thus have some real bargaining power going into what would likely be his final UFA bargaining next year. And the Oilers have too much money in forwards to keep Hemsky. Again, makes no sense.

Those are the good options and not one of them seems very likely. (Again, I could be wrong.)

Retiring due to illness or injury is possible. Wanting to play in Europe and thus retiring or being bought out is also possible. You would have the player present to say goodbye for the only team he has played for in those situatuons.

It is possible Hemsky came to Edmonton expecting a trade before camp, but now that this won’t happen he is aksing to go to the KHL or just quit entirely.

Announcing a trade is possible too (if finishing touches are being done). But I’m not sure Hemsky would want to do a presser after a trade away like that. Maybe.

All in all, am scared, but we’ll see.

44. Kris11 says:

Bobby Mac says it’s nothing, though, and I always agree wiyh Bobby Mac.

45. stevezie says:

Kris11,

Agreed. A lot more fear than hope.

“Steve Smith”,

You mean ol’ Steve “Yeah I’ve been to Viet Nam” Hogle? Sure he’s a great guy! He got my sister pregnant one time, and I was a big fan of the way he handled it. Welcome at my dinner table any day, no notice necessary. Pure class.

46. edwards_daddy says:

Suntory Hanzo: TSN predicts Nuge 63 13 32 45

And no supernova for Hall!

And Schultz Jnr isn’t on the list, as far as I can see. TSN doesn’t think he will get 29 points?

47. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”:
    I spent some time in a Viet Cong prison camp with Steve Hogle – real class act.

Viet Cong prison camp? Are your hockey opinions(assuming you have any) of similar quality to this nonsense?

48. hunter1909 says:

The two best things that happened to the Oilers this summer:

1 – Horcoff gone!!!!!!

2 – Gagner for captain rumour, to let everyone see the “Oilers right or wrong” schleppists in their most perfect form. The only way Taylor Hall isn’t made captain at training camp is if the management is still living out the 2003 draft.

49. hunter1909 says:

Obviously it’s still only a matter of time before MacT royally fucks up. So far I’ve been fine with his moves. He reminds me of the 2006 playoff strategist. Not picking Hall for captain would instantly send the team into some wack pseudo-universe.

It’s that pesky Kevin Lowe factor for me.

50. jake70 says:

Hemsky, only 30 years or however old and healthy, comming back in a contract year to play 3rd line? Can’t see it. He’s going to Europe to “find his game” then try to get back to the NHL.

51. bookje says:

Bobby Mac said the press conference was just a alls good here. I think its because MacT said that he was going to trade Hemsky and they wanted to head off all of the “Why is Hemsky still here?” questions at camp.

52. Thinker says:

The press conference will just be to confirm hemsky as an oiler. MacTavish said he was going to trade him earlier in the summer and every fan has him gone by the deadline. Obviosly something changed and hemsky is part of the solution, and now they must address the media to get the fans off hemsky’s back.

I will submit another idea as well, though it is unlikely. Hemsky is the new captain. Trade and retirement are ridiculous. It’s 98% going to be the first option, and 1% the second. Half a percent each for trade and retirement.

53. Spartacus says:

I think Hemsky is going to be named a player/coach and is going to run practices. Can’t be the first one off the ice when you’re running the practices, can you?

After practices Hemsky will teach a workshop on body language and give tips on establishing a positive working relationship with the media.