The Edmonton Oilers made their first cuts this morning, the beginning of a week that should see the club reduce the men at Rexall by 20. If coach Dallas Eakins wants to get this team down to a manageable number, this is the way to do it.
- Marco Roy: Impressed in Penticton and played well enough last night. There’s no reason to expect he could push deeper into camp, this is a completely reasonable time to get him out of town and back to the QMJHL.
- Jackson Houck: Came up injured during the rookie week, still he showed some nice things.
- Greg Chase: Impressed at rookie camp, certainly did more than some higher picks and is a player to watch in junior.
- Ben Betker: Huge stay at home guy showed well.
- Ty Bilcke: Showed well enough in rookie camp, exposed badly (as one might expect) as the competition improved.
- Reid Petryk: At 20, he might have shown more.
- Kyle Platzer: In some ways, the most impressive player among today’s cuts. I have no idea what he is, and am not going to add to the confusion. He sure scored a lot for a guy no one talks about, though.
Who is still here that might have been sent away today? No one really. These are basically the most recent draft picks minus Darnell Nurse and we know the Oilers wanted him to have a longer look at his future in Edmonton. The next list of cuts will probably include Cam Abney, Mitchell Moroz, Jujhar Khaira and the AHL guys will start getting sent out after the junior kids are sent away.
Camp news we’re not hearing? Nuge’s timeline, Belov’s arrival.