A. A. Milne: “Well,” said Pooh, “what I like best,” and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.”
It’s been so long, too long, friends. I spent part of the week speaking to friends about this fall (you know who you are) and it looks like we’ve made it through the lockout, the long journey from playoff fails and are feeling good vibrations about this season. Do those opinions differ from last time? Well, let’s have a look:
COMMENTS ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2011 (GAMES 1 AND 2 GDT)
- Woodguy: Hockey!!! )or some reasonable facsimile thereof where 62.5% of the players on the ice will be gone from the NHL in week). Hockey!!!
- DBO from the Oil website. The Edmonton game lineup
Hall – Belanger –Jones
Paajarvi – Lander – Omark
Eager – Pitlick – Keller
Martindale – House – Cornet
13 Cam Barker – 77 Tom Gilbert
8 Martin Marincin – 86 Kirill Tulupov
87 David Musil – 81 Taylor Fedun
- DBO sask game:
Roy (they have listed on the other game so not sure who will be the backup
- HBomb: Hall – Belanger –Jones
God I hope this is a preseason-only thing. Because the only times that Jones and Hall should be on the ice together during the regular season are practice and pre-game warm-up.
- bookje: If you can only watch one game – which one do you choose and why?
- DeadmanWaking: Nobody skates around the Epaulette Line:
Tyrvainen/Nugent-Hopkins/Hartikainen but you gotta protect them from Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla. Do not fold, spindle, mutilate, or flip over to continue filling out the other side. We actually had those in school, circa the Henderson goal. We also had the old aniline purple Ditto machine. Everything I Know I Learned in Kindergarten from Hand Outs with Purple Splotches. Deep Purple it wasn’t. A few years later, we had a substitute teacher for nearly a full year who was on the Dolly Parton side of Erin Andrews, but with thick black hair and a less commanding eye roll. Some horny bastard took her to a KISS concert in Calgary. Probably on the back of a big rumbly bike. We heard all about it for weeks afterwards (the concert, not the bastard, this is still in the seventies after all). Less purple ink, but still not a whole lot of lesson planning going on. She dressed tight, short, and flouncy with thin shoulder straps and looked a lot like an overflowing side-by-side double scoop ice cream cone tapered to stiletto perfection. At that age I was just cluing into the relationship between megamellons, millihelens and gagasieverts.
- hunter1909: Funny, but the only Oilers defenceman I give a shit about seems to be Tulupov. The others either get hurt all the bloody time, are pansies(I’m sorry Tom, but standing staring with puppy dog eyes in the crease as one of your team mates gets whacked qualifies you for the hunter hate list).Besides, my own psycho fantasy if I was a prospect would have me drilling everyone in sight, then, making the team I’d merely start hammering everyone with a different colored jersey. And yes, I’m already drinking, although not heavily enough.
Those are the first few of 237 comments in the GDT (it is here if you want to read them all) from two years ago. Fun stuff to look back and reflect on.
NO NUGE YET
Remember the other day when we talked about Nuge and his timeline? Remember when we agreed that “November 1′ was old info and we should expect an update during TC? Well, no update yet but there’s enough anecdotal information out there now to suggest that November 1st is unlikely–I’d bet at this point the Nuge is playing this time next month. We’ll see, but MacT is basically taking the question out of reporters arsenal, and the actual news on the biggest story in camp doesn’t exist. MAN what a world!
- L1: Hall-Smyth-Hemsky: This line should have an immediate impact.
- L2: Arcobello-Yakupov-Omark: I expect this line to be exciting. Everywhere.
- L3: Lander-Joensuu-Roy: I’m cheering like hell for all three, this might be Roy’s only game.
- L4: Platzer-Martindale-Brown: Goofy line. Platzer gets rewarded, Martindale needs to show well but Brown is also on the line.
- D1: Nurse-Ference: I’m wondering if Marincnin should feel slighted, but have decided it’s early. Nurse with a great showcase.
- D2: Grebeshkov-Musil: A big test for both players. This could be a saloon door tandem.
- D3: Davidson-J Schultz: Davidson gets a very nice push.
- G1: Dubnyk (Roy): Dubnyk is the day one starter, Roy the best prospect in the organization.
- L1: Gagner-Hamilton-Eberle: Hamilton has a massive opportunity this fall.
- L2: Gordon-Jones-Perron: Jones needs to have a very good camp, he’ll be battling Hamilton, Joensuu, Smyth, Omark, others.
- L3: Acton-Eager-Pitlick: Eager has been receiving a lot of attention.
- L4: Ewanyk-Bilcke-Chase: I bet they’d sign Bilcke if they could. Ewanyk has been poor this camp.
- D1: Smid-Petry: Top pairing going in, they’ll get more support this season and should flourish.
- D2: N Schultz-Fedun: A nice slot for Fedun, pleased for him.
- D3: Marincin-Larsen: Two guys who may be fighting for NHL jobs later this month.
- G1: LaBarbera (Bachman): I think LaBarbera is a little underrated by the fanbase.
The Edmonton game will be on the Oilers website, the Calgary viewing is listed as to be determined on both team sites. We wait.
Roster turnovers are rampant, but there are 41 players gone from the 2011 training camp roster (67 total). Roster is here.