PS G1 AND 2: OILERS V FLAMES

A. A. Milne: “Well,” said Pooh, “what I like best,” and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.”

It’s been so long, too long, friends. I spent part of the week speaking to friends about this fall (you know who you are) and it looks like we’ve made it through the lockout, the long  journey from playoff fails and are feeling good vibrations about this season. Do those opinions differ from last time? Well, let’s have a look:

COMMENTS ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2011 (GAMES 1 AND 2 GDT)

• Woodguy: Hockey!!! )or some reasonable facsimile thereof where 62.5% of the players on the ice will be gone from the NHL in week). Hockey!!!
  • DBO from the Oil website. The Edmonton game lineup
    Petrell-Brule-Hordichuk
    Green-O’Marra-Hamilton
    Smid-Peckham
    Chorney-Petry
    Davidson-Potter
    Dubnynk
    Roy (they have listed on the other game so not sure who will be the backup
  • HBomb: Hall – Belanger –Jones
    God I hope this is a preseason-only thing. Because the only times that Jones and Hall should be on the ice together during the regular season are practice and pre-game warm-up.
  • bookje: If you can only watch one game – which one do you choose and why?
  • DeadmanWaking: Nobody skates around the Epaulette Line:
    Tyrvainen/Nugent-Hopkins/Hartikainen but you gotta protect them from Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla. Do not fold, spindle, mutilate, or flip over to continue filling out the other side. We actually had those in school, circa the Henderson goal. We also had the old aniline purple Ditto machine. Everything I Know I Learned in Kindergarten from Hand Outs with Purple Splotches. Deep Purple it wasn’t.  A few years later, we had a substitute teacher for nearly a full year who was on the Dolly Parton side of Erin Andrews, but with thick black hair and a less commanding eye roll. Some horny bastard took her to a KISS concert in Calgary. Probably on the back of a big rumbly bike. We heard all about it for weeks afterwards (the concert, not the bastard, this is still in the seventies after all). Less purple ink, but still not a whole lot of lesson planning going on. She dressed tight, short, and flouncy with thin shoulder straps and looked a lot like an overflowing side-by-side double scoop ice cream cone tapered to stiletto perfection. At that age I was just cluing into the relationship between megamellons, millihelens and gagasieverts.
  • hunter1909: Funny, but the only Oilers defenceman I give a shit about seems to be Tulupov. The others either get hurt all the bloody time, are pansies(I’m sorry Tom, but standing staring with puppy dog eyes in the crease as one of your team mates gets whacked qualifies you for the hunter hate list).Besides, my own psycho fantasy if I was a prospect would have me drilling everyone in sight, then, making the team I’d merely start hammering everyone with a different colored jersey. And yes, I’m already drinking, although not heavily enough.

Those are the first few of 237 comments in the GDT (it is here if you want to read them all) from two years ago. Fun stuff to look back and reflect on.

NO NUGE YET

nuge1

Remember the other day when we talked about Nuge and his timeline? Remember when we agreed that “November 1′ was old info and we should expect an update during TC? Well, no update yet but there’s enough anecdotal information out there now to suggest that November 1st is unlikely–I’d bet at this point the Nuge is playing this time next month. We’ll see, but MacT is basically taking the question out of reporters arsenal, and the actual news on the biggest story in camp doesn’t exist. MAN what a world!

gyj.jpg

EDMONTON LINEUP

• L1: Hall-Smyth-Hemsky: This line should have an immediate impact.
  • L2: Arcobello-Yakupov-Omark: I expect this line to be exciting. Everywhere.
  • L3: Lander-Joensuu-Roy: I’m cheering like hell for all three, this might be Roy’s only game.
  • L4: Platzer-Martindale-Brown: Goofy line. Platzer gets rewarded, Martindale needs to show well but Brown is also on the line.
  • D1: Nurse-Ference: I’m wondering if Marincnin should feel slighted, but have decided it’s early. Nurse with a great showcase.
  • D2: Grebeshkov-Musil: A big test for both players. This could be a saloon door tandem.
  • D3: Davidson-J Schultz: Davidson gets a very nice push.
  • G1: Dubnyk (Roy): Dubnyk is the day one starter, Roy the best prospect in the organization.

CALGARY LINEUP

• L1: Gagner-Hamilton-Eberle: Hamilton has a massive opportunity this fall.
  • L2: Gordon-Jones-Perron: Jones needs to have a very good camp, he’ll be battling Hamilton, Joensuu, Smyth, Omark, others.
  • L3: Acton-Eager-Pitlick: Eager has been receiving a lot of attention.
  • L4: Ewanyk-Bilcke-Chase: I bet they’d sign Bilcke if they could. Ewanyk has been poor this camp.
  • D1: Smid-Petry: Top pairing going in, they’ll get more support this season and should flourish.
  • D2: N Schultz-Fedun: A nice slot for Fedun, pleased for him.
  • D3: Marincin-Larsen: Two guys who may be fighting for NHL jobs later this month.
  • G1: LaBarbera (Bachman): I think LaBarbera is a little underrated by the fanbase.

The Edmonton game will be on the Oilers website, the Calgary viewing is listed as to be determined on both team sites. We wait.

Roster turnovers are rampant, but there are 41 players gone from the 2011 training camp roster (67 total). Roster is here.

399 Responses to "PS G1 AND 2: OILERS V FLAMES"

Newer Comments »
  1. BlacqueJacque says:

See, I told you Hall at centre didn’t make any sense. The coaches are putting him at LW and Smyth on the dot.

2. wheatnoil says:

Hope springs eternal every fall. We get ready to tuck ourselves in for the long winter ahead with hope that this team will keep us warm until we hit spring again.

Every year I feel this team is going to be better. Seems like every year I get a little more disappointed, a little more shocked when they don’t. Yet, this year here I am again, heart fluttering, grinning as I look at the roster, hopeful once more. In most areas, they’d call me a sucker. Here… they call me a fan.

Bring on the season boys! I can’t wait!

3. BlacqueJacque says:

Huh, are they streaming the game?

4. Ribs says:

The diamond PK! Oy.

It will be interesting to see if Smyth can keep up on a line with Hall. I just really don’t know how much he has left in the tank. It looked like he was running on fumes last season. Here’s hoping he comes out running!

5. khildahl says:

I’ll be at Rexall for the game tonight. I was hoping I’d get a chance to see Belov, but that’s clearly not happening.

Looks like the hated Glencross will be in Calgary. I don’t see anyone I particularly loathe on the local roster: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/preview.htm?id=2013010003&navid=DL|EDM|home

Guess it’s zone booing tonight instead of man-to-man.

6. stevezie says:

The Arcobello line is the one to watch for me. Great showcase line for Omark and Arco and pre-season defences are the perfect place for them to prove they’re worth… anything.

7. BlacqueJacque says:

OK so here’s the lames lineups –

Game in Edmonton:

B. JONES – KNIGHT – NEMISZ

GIORDANO – BRODIE
    CULKIN – O’BRIEN
    SIELOFF – RAMAGE

MACDONALD
    ORTIO

Also, the Edmonton game is being streamed at least on the lames site, so I presume it will be in Edmonton, too.

Basically, we should slaughter who they’re bringing to Edmonton. Notable players are Sven, Hudler, Wideman… yeah. We should stand a good chance of beating their home lineup, which they’ve stacked pretty badly.

9. bookje says:

I hope this year that the games at the end of the season are more exciting and important to us than the pre-season split squad games at the start of the season!!

10. stevezie says:

When do they Joey Moss? I thought that happened before the preseason?

stevezie:
    When do they Joey Moss? I thought that happened before the preseason?

I think they did the U of A game instead. I love the Joey Moss, it’s the one game a year my kids will go with me to a hockey game. They love Joey Moss, of course that’s not unusual.

12. Nightman_ says:

It’s a pre season split squad game, but dammit I’m feeling like David Puddy before a Devils game. Bring on the face paint.

13. BlacqueJacque says:

Anybody seen the Pat Kane stickhandling video?

I’m getting brain spasms and my arm muscles are involuntarily contracting at the thought of having to do that.

14. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

“bookje: If you can only watch one game – which one do you choose and why?”

Tigger: Every team in the league except the Wild and Anaheim and–what were those red things
    called?

15. stevezie says:

Nightman_,

I’m not expecting Hall or Hemsky to go crazy in exhibition, but Yakupov is enthusiastic and Arco and Omark have jobs to earn. If that line can’t cut up this defence it is a bad, bad sign. I think they will.

I am almost tempted to watch the game.

Bob Hartley: “I’m a big believer the taste of winning comes with winning”. Lordy.

Hall with some comments on playing center. He felt a little more comfortable in the third period

18. BlacqueJacque says:

19. Oiler_Kiwi says:

Thanks for the picture of Stan the Man Lowetide.

Little known fact is that when Stan Weir eats iron filings he poops anvils,

Go Oilers!

20. Young Oil says:

I’m not sure how reliable this is, but on the Oilers website they have Omark on the left and Yakupov on the right, which is good to see, but they also have Eberle on the left and Hamilton on the right…is this a typo, or is Eakins wanting to put Eberle on the left while Hall is at center to balance the lines more? If so,why not move Eberle to the middle so only one person has to play out of position? I know preseason is a good time to experiment, but still…

According to the Oilers website, Pitlick is out and Derek Nesbitt is in.

22. theres oil in virginia says:

Oiler_Kiwi:
    Thanks for the picture of Stan the Man Lowetide.

Little known fact is that when Stan Weir eats iron filings he poops anvils,

Go Oilers!

Look out Rexall!

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

According to the Oilers website, Pitlick is out and Derek Nesbitt is in.

injured?

24. Lois Lowe says:

BlacqueJacque: I wish Bob Hartley all the best in getting a winning culture with Matt Stajan as your #1 centre, God-knows-who in net, and Lee Stempniak as your top goal scoring threat.

Rom: Re Pitlick–Don’t know. Probably traded him. :-)

Bohologo:
    Is it too early to start talking about how much I hate the Flames? I realize it’s only the preseason, but I’ve had a long summer to prepare, and feel as if I’m in mid-season form.

Hate them so much.

Never too early to hate on the Flames. It MAY come to pass I pity them, but not before 20 goals go past their goalers.

27. justDOit says:

Bohologo:
    Is it too early to start talking about how much I hate the Flames?…

Hells no! But I would caution you to pace yourself – this is an 82 game season, remember!

28. BlacqueJacque says:

Lois Lowe: I am pretty sure that we Oiler fans know that, but self delusion is a strange place to be.

Heh, that’s funny.

My original version of the post was full of talk about how deluded Flames ownership and management are (bringing Burke in 5 years too early etc.), and how Flames fans have only a nebulous idea of how shitty being at the bottom is and simultaneously try to make themselves feel better with talk of how good a season players A, B, C, X, Y and Z will have… you know, like when we imagined Gagner would break out with 70 points, Souray would score 50, Nisson was worth another 50 and Hemsky would finally reach his PPG potential.

Looking back on it all… the only good thing about the past 7 years is I can say I was a fan when many people – but not all, obviously – jumped off the bandwagon. I know our prospects, our has-beens, our team up and down. Otherwise, shit sucked.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rom: Re Pitlick–Don’t know. Probably traded him.

I going with a staff infection, tetanus, lockjaw or scurvy.

Whichever it is, he’ll now be known as “x Pitlick.”. “Scurvy Pitlick” has a nice ring to it.

When I was a kid, my two favorite teams were the Boston Bruins (Orr) and Oakland Seals (Orr NOT). BOTH teams were kind of horrible when I came in (although the Bruins were getting better in a quick hurry they’d been bad for a long, long time).

Anyway, I remember 1970 Orr Stanley and 1972 Stanley as well as anything from my childhood, and there’s something extra cool about hanging around during the bad times and then watching people jump on the bandwagon when the winning begins.

If you know anything about Sebastien Bisaillon, you never have to prove your Oiler devotion again. EVER. :-)

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Re “Staff Infection Pitlick”

Nelson mentions him here:

“Pitlick’s going to be held back… looked at by the doctors”

that’s pretty slim… so … tetanus?

Christ. Pitlick kills me. It’s probably scurvy, or pubis scurvy.

33. BlacqueJacque says:

Christ. Pitlick kills me. It’s probably scurvy, or pubis scurvy.

Pitlick kills himself.

Cam Abney has better hands. That’s no joke. Saw it for myself.

34. BlacqueJacque says:

You know, one day some time will come when I’m talking to some kid, maybe my own if I get really drunk and forget the condom one time, and it’ll go like this:

Him: “So Tambellini is why we had Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent, and Nail Yakupov?”
    Me: “You could look at things that way. A lot of pain went into getting those players.”
    Him: “He must have been a brave man, to do such unpopular things.”
    Me: “Well, I don’t know about brave… Dim, maybe. Dense, possibly. Dithering, definitely.”
    Him: “But if it wasn’t for Steve and that lucky tie you talk about, we wouldn’t have those guys. And imagine what it must have been like to be his boss. So frustrating.”
    Me: “Yes, Kevin Lowe… frustrating. That’s a good way of putting it, my favorite little second-class fan!”

35. stevezie says:

Lowetide: If you know anything about Sebastien Bisaillon, you never have to prove your Oiler devotion again. EVER.

I know that year we finished sixth, which is a lot better than last, but I would rate it as the worst year. The last 20 games in particular we without a doubt the worst hockey I have ever watched.

I did at least learn something important: No forwards is bad, no goaltending is worse, but if you have no defence don’t even bother. Bad defence will handicap the other two positions.

Abney had 5 ECHL goals in half a season last year, so he appears to be getting better at playing hockey. The problem is that he started from so far back. I can see him having a pro career (there’s always room somewhere for a giant) but if he plays in an NHL game that will be a major surprise.

I don’t think it’s fair to crap on him over where he was drafted, though. I’ve seen a lot of that in these last few seasons and it isn’t right. Same with Moroz.

37. Ribs says:

PITLICK THE NEW POO?

I sure hope he’s not a Poolick.

38. Lois Lowe says:

BlacqueJacque,

Sophomore X just has to take a step forward from his rookie campaign, Rookie Y just has to come in and meaningfully contribute, and Goalie Z just needs to play like an average NHL starter. I can see it all breaking right for us and our [hometown team] could be in the mix for 8th!

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Awww crap…

I just remembered that whole Mountain time thing. now I have to wait another 2 hours… crap, crap, crap.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Awww crap…

These are called ‘drinking hours’ at my house.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: These are called ‘drinking hours’ at my house.

Don’t mind if I do!

42. Ribs says:

Good time to “get the mail”.

43. Ribs says:

I’ve opened a couple of letters and I think it’s making the Eskimos look better.

….That or te Bombers are just that bad.

44. DeadmanWaking says:

Red Hot Yellow Jackets

Actually, dopamine does not deliver pleasure, but an anxious feeling of intense pleasure seeking. The human subjects were so mesmerized with tapping the reward bar despite any discomfort, none of the original researchers thought to ask–or perhaps they were just struggling with how to rephrase “Was I almost that good?” into clipboardese.

Dopamine also triggers information seeking: “The dopamine system is most powerfully stimulated when the information coming in is small so that it doesn’t fully satisfy.” Twitter. What women want. Clipboard tea leaves.

Lowetide: Man. I’m old, and forgetful. I looked through Blacque Jacques rosters for CAL twice looking for Elvis.

One time when Elvis disappeared, Calgary picked up their first win of the season in game twenty. But who’s counting?

45. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Where do ya live, rom?

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Where do ya live, rom?

The big stupid. Toronto.

47. Nightman_ says:

stevezie:
    Nightman_,

I’m not expecting Hall or Hemsky to go crazy in exhibition, but Yakupov is enthusiastic and Arco andOmark have jobs to earn. If that line can’t cut up this defence it is a bad, bad sign. I think they will.

I am almost tempted to watch the game.

You most definitely should. Have beer on hand for celebratory or crippling depression drinking (the black and white of being an oilers fan)

The big stupid. Haha. I love it.

49. In the Grease says:

Calgary game:
    L3: Eager-Acton-Chase
    L4: Bilcke-Ewanyk-Nesbitt

good break for Chase…

In the Grease:
    Calgary game:
    L3: Eager-Acton-Chase
    L4: Bilcke-Ewanyk-Nesbitt

good break for Chase…

Chase gets the push! Good for him.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Thinking through the center assignments for the kids…

I’m wondering if these lineups are a sign that we shouldn’t expect Chase and Roy to arrive in the pros as Cs and that the organization is stronger on Platzer and Ewanyk at the position

(NOT, that is, stronger on the player!! don’t misunderstand me)

Or, is that simply an over-interpretation?

FWIW I think Roy is moved to wing by the time his pro career starts but I’m not sure about Chase.

Is there a way to get that early game? Can’t find it.

53. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The big stupid. Toronto.

Say hello to the 401 for me! Or the QE, or the idiots who hold up traffic on northbound 410 because they think that maybe if they go really slow they can see the accident on southbound 410 over a five foot high wall.

54. Ryan says:

DeadmanWaking,

To quote Dr Shitij Kapur, a former professor from the big stupid who’s now Harvard’s dean of psychiatry, “dopamine mediates salience.”

55. voxwah says:

My girlfriend (who is totally awesome) bought me NHL Game Centre for my birthday. I was watching one of the games from the vault this afternoon. Game 2 of the 1990 final against Boston.

A few things I noticed. They didnt call anything back then at all, lol.

The other thing I noticed was watching someone like Messier completely blow his coverage in the defensive zone and watch Cam Neely sneak in with no one near him for a point blank chance (man Ranford was a beauty).

I think it’s important to remember when evaluating Hall at center that even the greatest players ever still had brain cramps and were made to look foolish. We just tend to forget those moments and just remember how amazing the players were.

Give the young man a chance.

56. BlacqueJacque says:

Is there a way to get that early game? Can’t find it.

CHED. No streaming. The 21st century hasn’t reached the Saddledome yet.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Is there a way to get that early game? Can’t find it.

apparently you can listen to it on the Fan 960

seems all they offer.

58. BlacqueJacque says:

voxwah,

Defence back then was horrible. As was goaltending. Of course, the average goalie wasn’t 6’4, 210lbs and didn’t cover up 47% of net just standing there, and 63% when down or in butterfly.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque: There’s no way to live in that city unless you’re downtown, or never leave Oakville/Burlington.

That’s very apt.

We are downtown in a small house. We don’t own a car.

Commuting in the GTA via car is basically giving away a large portion of your time, money and sanity.

60. Ryan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

A decade + ago, I lived in North York… I thought Toronto was the coolest place in Canada for about 2 months. By the third month of spending an hour + to drive to and from work (each way) on what would be a ten minute drive (without traffic), I realized cool doesn’t mean what I thought it meant.

61. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I remember one time I was coming back from Scarborough, it was like… I dunno, 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday, and I was sitting on the 401 for three and a half hours. Then I get to the scene. There’d been an accident with a fatality in that civil engineering bungle called the basketweave where someone thought it was a good idea to put like 6 highway interchanges in a 2 mile span… anyway, the police closed I think 5 of the 6 lanes just to clean up bits of splattered blood. Literally holding up a quarter of the population rather than letting us wash it off at the car wash. If I’d had a gun, I wouldn’t be here, but neither would be at least one cop and ideally Toronto City Council would have come to the conclusion that “wait, wait a minute, do we really want to stop a million people in their tracks to clean up some biker’s mess on the freeway?”

Between Toronto, London, LA, and especially the festering endless squalor that is Mumbai, I’m like 99% sure I don’t want to have kids. I know I’m failing like 3 billion years of ancestors before me, but I’m sure they have other descendants. Sorry mom, dad, our line ends with me.

There’s absolutely no reason people have to live in densities like that.

62. "Steve Smith" says:

voxwah: So I think we should be mindfull of that and not call the Hall experiment a failure right away if he makes a few mistakes.

63. Ryan says:

YAK City bitches! I have a feeling Yak City’s going supernova this year. Okay, don’t worry I’m not driving tonight.

Yak city’s going to go Stamko’s on us this season.. You read it here first.

Yak city bitches!

64. BlacqueJacque says:

Ryan:
    YAK City bitches!I have a feeling Yak City’s going supernova this year.

Better sophomore season than Hall, IMO.

“Steve Smith”: You go ahead and be a bleeding heart if you want, but if Hall doesn’t look elite in his first couple of exhibition shifts as a centre, I’m going to come out and proclaim the 2010 draft a failure.

I saw we take a machete to Pitlick to start the evening. Who ever heard of pubis scurvy? Fuck!

Calgary game underway, Peter Marr he’s the vaunt–man that guy is good–doing pbp and my old buddy Peter Lobardias doing color.

67. BlacqueJacque says:

What is it with the Saskatoon Broadcasting School pumping out so many good names?

Like Garner Andrews!

68. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

I’m watching the Mayweather vs Alvarez card tonight. Damned scheduling conflicts !

69. Dead Cat Bounce says:

BlacqueJacque: CHED.No streaming.The 21st century hasn’t reached the Saddledome yet.

Flood damage is a bitch.

70. BlacqueJacque says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

I’m an electrician who’s done datacomm work.

It wouldn’t take much to get a camera and a data line out. They’ve obviously got power there, which would be the most difficult thing to restore after a flood.

71. mumbai max says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I remember one time I was coming back from Scarborough, it was like… I dunno, 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday, and I was sitting on the 401 for three and a half hours.Then I get to the scene.There’d been an accident with a fatality in that civil engineering bungle called the basketweave where someone thought it was a good idea to put like 6 highway interchanges in a 2 mile span… anyway, the police closed I think 5 of the 6 lanes just to clean up bits of splattered blood.Literally holding up a quarter of the population rather than letting us wash it off at the car wash.If I’d had a gun, I wouldn’t be here, but neither would be at least one cop and ideally Toronto City Council would have come to the conclusion that “wait, wait a minute, do we really want to stop a million people in their tracks to clean up some biker’s mess on the freeway?”

Between Toronto, London, LA, and especially the festering endless squalor that is Mumbai, I’m like 99% sure I don’t want to have kids.I know I’m failing like 3 billion years of ancestors before me, but I’m sure they have other descendants.Sorry mom, dad, our line ends with me.

There’s absolutely no reason people have to live in densities like that.

72. BlacqueJacque says:

JONES from PETRY SCORES!

The night begins well.

Suck it, Jones haters.

Ryan Jones scores, Petry with the assist.

74. voxwah says:

Jones!! 1-0 Oilers!

75. crude says:

Jonesy!!

Fedun also with an assist. Jones a nice play there.

77. Nightman_ says:

Is it not available for anyone else? :(

78. BlacqueJacque says:

mumbai max: I would rather (and do) live in the endless festering squalor of Mumbai than spend one minute on the 401 going to the mall.

There’s no way you’re convincing me traffic is better in Mumbai. And those trains. Holy… don’t get me wrong, it’s all very impressive, but there’s got to be a limit on how many people are allowed to live per square mile.

Actually, you probably can convince me. I wasn’t there myself, i should be clear – I just spent a night watching my friend Brent’s travelogues. The Mumbai stuff was mostly horrific density/squalor/dirt with glimpses of unimaginably pretty modern/restored/clean stuff.

79. Young Oil says:

Petry has looked VERY good early. Such a great skater.

80. BlacqueJacque says:

The internet has arrived in Calgary!

VIDEO!!!

81. theres oil in virginia says:

BlacqueJacque:
    The internet has arrived in Calgary!

VIDEO!!!

You’re my hero!

82. Lois Lowe says:

I lived in Toronto for three years when I was in undergrad, lived in the Annex and biked to campus most days. Loved the city then, but when I moved I knew I would never be back. It’s just too far from the mountains for me. That said, it’s the only really big city in Canada, and it always felt vibrant and cosmopolitan.

I am in Vancouver now, it’s a much better city for me, but not really a proper city like The Big Stupid. The hockey fans are worse here, the traffic is worse, but the women are gorgeous and the weather is mild.

83. Young Oil says:

Jones with 2 minors already…hopefully he’s just getting them out of his system before the season starts!

84. BlacqueJacque says:

I don’t know who #36 is, but he’s pretty bad. Almost got an Oiler killed with a suicide pass, too.

85. BlacqueJacque says:

Larsen? Disappointing, looked good in camp.

Gagner nice pass to Hamilton and a chance that ends in a PP. Oil look good in Calgary, no way around it

87. BlacqueJacque says:

Nice on Calgary to recognize the tradesmen who did the actual work of fixing the flood damage.

88. gr8one says:

Is there a way to get that early game? Can’t find it.

89. oilinthepeg says:

Is this game available in MB?
    I appear to be locked out of the stream!!

PANIC!

HOCKKKKEY!
    I WANT HOCKEY!

JETS?
    NO JETS!

HOCKEY!

90. BlacqueJacque says:

gr8one: So does this mean the “this game is not available in your area” message I get is not just because I’m in North Carolina?

Probably.

if you get BTGuard, a proxy service, you can get a Canadian IP address.

91. Nightman_ says:

I’m in Vancouver and this works:

edmontons feed doesnt work for me.

You guys are missing some good scoreboard “Bloopers”

92. dessert1111 says:

I am in BC and can’t get the stream either. Any ideas? What terrible news, why are there restrictions when streamed from the team’s site?

93. striker says:

In enemy territory at the game in Cgy. Got great seats too. Larsen is a smooth skater. Seems very comfortable leading the rush out of his own zone

94. Lois Lowe says:

Gagner and Eberle look like NHLers playing against Junior players.

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Just finished dinner.

Skipped the beginning of the first game cause I thought it was only on radio… seems the are streaming it live with video… but only in Alberta?

Can someone else confirm that?

Are they going to fuck us non-albertans out of the 2nd game too?

shit.

96. dessert1111 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Just finished dinner.

Can someone else confirm that?

Are they going to fuck us non-albertans out of the 2nd game too?

shit.

I think this might be the case. I am considering getting a month worth of hockey streams, looks like they at least have the current game available.

97. justDOit says:

I just tuned in to the Calgary feed – no game audio, but some commercial audio, and then a blooper reel set to accordion music. Anyone else with similar experiences?

Oh – Nazz – nice!

98. Young Oil says:

Is it a good guess to say the Oilers have 8-9 of their roster players in this game, while the Flames have 12-13? If so, the Oilers are looking damn good, even if Calgary is supposed to finish at the bottom of the division. I know its early, but still.

99. Dead Cat Bounce says:

dessert1111:

I’m in BC.

No problem at all.

100. Safetyguy says:

Thank God!

Finally some hockey.

Watching on the Edmonton oilers site, poor sound but hockey none the less

GO Oilers!

101. Romulus Apotheosis says:

out of towners.

flames website isn’t blocking us… go figure.

’cause Oilers.

102. striker says:

Eager looking to crank someone. Calm feet by fedun on two consecutive rushes. Giordano leveled Bilke followed by Gio being leveled by Petry and later Bilke himself

103. BlacqueJacque says:

Man, you can really tell when NHL talent is out there compared to tweeners, rookies, and other scrubs. The difference between even Lander/Jonesy and Acton/Pitlick is night and day.

104. Nightman_ says:

BlacqueJacque,

I thought pitlick is out?

but yes, agreed

105. prairieschooner says:

Check out ATDE it showed as doing both games
    I also have no aufio on my Calgary feed I might follow my own advice

106. dessert1111 says:

Interesting…now it’s working via the Calgary site, but still getting restricted from the Oilers site.

107. junglerot says:

Not blocked. Game in Edm hasn’t started yet . . .

108. mumbai max says:

BlacqueJacque: There’s no way you’re convincing me traffic is better in Mumbai.And those trains.Holy… don’t get me wrong, it’s all very impressive, but there’s got to be a limit on how many people are allowed to live per square mile.

Actually, you probably can convince me.I wasn’t there myself, i should be clear – I just spent a night watching my friend Brent’s travelogues.The Mumbai stuff was mostly horrific density/squalor/dirt with glimpses of unimaginably pretty modern/restored/clean stuff.

Well, it is not for everyone. As with everything there are trade-offs. And as tempting as it is I would not decide about places based on how they look on tv. Calgary looks great on tv!

109. dessert1111 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    out of towners.

flames website isn’t blocking us… go figure.

’cause Oilers.

Yes…just figured this out too. Strange. If there are problems with the next game perhaps adte? Thanks Prairie Schooner and everyone else for the help!! And I’m assuming it’s intermission and I’m supposed to be seeing children playing hockey.

110. yellow p0ne says:

Rushed home to watch the game. “Stream is unavailable in your area” Pretty disappointing…

111. BlacqueJacque says:

mumbai max,

To be honest, it made me want to visit India.

But the idea of living there – nopenopenopenope I need room to breathe.

112. junglerot says:

yellow p0ne,

Just wait for the game to begin, good sir. Stream will start then

113. justDOit says:

yellow p0ne,

Check out a browser extension called stealthy. It may work.

114. Romulus Apotheosis says:

To circle back to you folks sharing thoughts on the big stupid…

There are only about a half dozen cities I’d rather live in. Toronto is pretty great if you can find a place to live/work without having to constantly drive.

The hockey fans are pretty stupid though. Convinced Carlyle is a genius.

Oh but… Toronto is way behind on craft beer. way behind. My home province of BC is miles ahead… there’s no contest. Quebec is miles ahead and that is saying something.

115. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This puff piece on the Flames is hilarious.

Movie Voice-Over: “Feaster’s in outer space and looking for ham sandwich. Pride. Intelligence. Alberta. Feaster.”

Romulus Apotheosis:

To be honest, it made me want to visit India.

But the idea of living there – nopenopenopenope I need room to breathe.

(Quote) (Reply)
    EditMore Options

I’ve never lived there but everyone I know who has moved to Toronto loves it or misses it. So, yeah.

117. BlacqueJacque says:

I was referring to Mumbai.

I lived in Toronto 5 years. Really nice city, like the downtown, loved Oakville, but the traffic is crazy.

I lost an average of 3 hours of my life every day on the road, and I didn’t even have to go downtown. On bad days, it would take me 4 hours to get home.

118. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Larsen?Disappointing, looked good in camp.

striker: Larsen is a smooth skater. Seems very comfortable leading the rush out of his own zone

Well… mixed results are better than terrible results.

119. striker says:

BlacqueJacque,

India isnt a monolith. Go visit a small village in Punjab. It’s like you’re in the middle of nowhere. Slow farm life. Unlike the picture of India we have in our mind as a crowded bustling place. Green fields, quiet nights, summer nights laying on the roof looking at the stars. Now I feel like going.

“there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were”. You’re wise pooh bear, wise indeed.

120. striatic says:

looks like Calgary at Edmonton is region locked even on the Flames site.

well, at least there is the first feed.

121. Nightman_ says:

so how to we get edmontons home game? im locked out of that one.

122. cmcousine says:

I was about to ask, I’m in Calgary and can’t get the Edmonton game. Anyone know how to fix this?

123. BlacqueJacque says:

striatic,

And this is why I urge everyone to become anti-copyright lobby and be politically active. This stupidity has to end.

124. Big Dan says:

Now that hockey’s back, I am getting jealous at these captaincies being named (Spezza, Tavares).

I wish the Oilers would do it right and get people talking. I’d love to see Oiler fans adding the “C” to their Ryan Smyth #94 jerseys, and watching him retire as captain next summer with tears in his eyes. It would make everybody feel good and it buys Taylor Hall a year.

Smitty may not be the smartest knife in the drawer. And he may be a 4th liner now. But he lays it all out 100% every night, is clutch in big games (Captain Canada), and loves Edmonton. He may be the only guy in history forcing a trade TO the Oilers.

That’ll really make this preseason perfect for me, even if they lose 7-1 every night.

125. striatic says:

and the first feed has no game audio. oh well.

126. kinger says:

So nothing is loeading for me, no region message just a blank screen. Is anyone having any success?

127. cmcousine says:

You can watch the game in Calgary? The Flamers website said there would be no feed except the radio! D’oh!

I can’t get the EDM game feed can someone post a link?

129. Nightman_ says:

Well there’s the ched pbp at least..

130. junglerot says:

I believe puck drop is 8 minutes past 8. Should start on the official website at that time.

131. cmcousine says:

I can’t get video for either game. Both say “Not available in your area.” Whatever.

132. BlacqueJacque says:

Apparently Oilers scored already. Hall from Hemsky, opening faceoff.

Oilers broadcast team continues their incompetence.

133. Nightman_ says:

Cannonball

134. voxwah says:

Hall, lol. Best center ever!

135. justDOit says:

I’m in Calgary, streaming both games, but I have no rink audio ro pbp/color. Music played in the arena, I get. The peewee game audio, I get. ??

136. BlacqueJacque says:

Jackman blows by Davidson, gets it in the corner, scramble, someone scores on the Oilers. 1-1.

137. Young Oil says:

1-1 in the home game 1:18 in.

138. skidplate says:

BlacqueJacque: Pitlick kills himself.

Cam Abney has better hands.That’s no joke.Saw it for myself.

Priceless! :)
    With a name like Pitlick, you are bound to catch something, no?

139. striatic says:

ooh the calgary radio feed syncs extremely well with the calgary video feed.

nice.

Weird. Calgary game perfect, no Edmonton game.

141. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Weird. Calgary game perfect, no Edmonton game.

same. except no sound on the cal game. or rather no commentary.

142. BlacqueJacque says:

Omark/Yakupov look really impressive out there. I’m sure Arcobello is there somewhere, observing.

143. dessert1111 says:

Game at Edm woring on calgary site for me now, just loaded in main page. No audio but syncing ched up with it

144. Romulus Apotheosis says:

well Ewanyk is bleeding so… great.

145. BlacqueJacque says:

Looks like last year’s power play, 1 pass too many.

146. Andropod says:

I had audio and video feed, then lost audio, now I have lost video.

147. Safetyguy says:

striatic:
    ooh the calgary radio feed syncs extremely well with the calgary video feed.

nice.

Thanks

148. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m not even getting the “not in your area” routine anymore… now the page won’t even load on Safari or firefox.

stupid Oilers.

149. theres oil in virginia says:

I can’t get the EDM game feed can someone post a link?

Didn’t you get the memo from Lowe? It’s for season ticket holders only.

(Sorry, too easy to pass up.)

150. striker says:

Cgy game – Agree with previous poster, eberle and gagner look like men amonsgt boys. Number 19 on flames with TKO v Ewanyk on a fight. Great chance by Bilke, great save by McDonald. Play before that Ryan Jones forechecked, was half a second late, fell……He gets knocked down, but gets back up again.

151. Nightman_ says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

same here, we’ve broken the website

152. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nightman_:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

we’ve broken the website

I guess they weren’t expecting so many “second tier fans” to care.

153. BlacqueJacque says:

Nurse is pretty damn quick.

Brown dives in front of a puck in the first preseason game. Gotta love that heart.

154. BlacqueJacque says:

It’s a good thing Lander is out there with Nurse. Nurse thinks he’s a winger really often :)

155. Romulus Apotheosis says:

what the hell is a mobile app and how does it work?

156. Safetyguy says:

watching Calgary feed while syncing with fan 960 while watching Edmonton game on oilers app with no sound on my I phone.

Being a fan shouldn’t be this hard

Go Oilers!

157. Young Oil says:

Perron scores! 2-0 Oilers in CGY. Nice snipe.

158. Nightman_ says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hahaha. I don’t understand why the availablility is the same as the sportsnet west avail for this.

159. striker says:

Perron with a snipe on the PP

160. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh good, the Oilers plugged in the audio finally. An entire summer to prepare and this clown act, sheesh.

and they turn the sound back off?!

holy mother of…

161. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Peron!!!

162. skidplate says:

skidplate,

Oops, meant to quote LT with his pubic scurvy thing.

163. Andropod says:

Well I have audio from Ched 630 but their servers are obviously overloaded.

164. BlacqueJacque says:

Smyth’s already off the Hall/Hemsky line AND HE SCORES!

Typical Smytty goal, shoveling garbage with the backhand on a pass from Grebs.

165. skidplate says:

I get the
    “This page can’t be displayed” screen now. I had the Edmonton game going for about 2 minutes then it froze. I refreshed and got the above message.

166. Nightman_ says:

Mobile feed doesnt work in BC, guess I’ll download the flames app…

167. justDOit says:

Ooh – I just got audio on the Edm feed! Finally! Now for 720?

168. gr8one says:

These streams are just maddening. The NHL is just so bush league in this regard. Can you Imagine NFL teams plastering all over their website that games would be streaming only to get these results? Grrr

169. BlacqueJacque says:

Hemsky backchecking again!

I’m just drinking, not dropping acid, right?

170. skidplate says:

Platzer from Brown???

171. BlacqueJacque says:

Woo! The fourth line does the grit work. Platzer, Brown work hard in front of the net to get the garbage in.

Platzer scores, apparently Brown helped. 19:02. Impressive period.

173. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Hemsky backchecking again!

I’m just drinking, not dropping acid, right?

Has anyone proven that the Grebs effect ISN’T contagious?

174. skidplate says:

yup

175. Magnus says:

Well, this was a colossal waste of time. Rushed home to watch the game and all I get is “page not available” on both sites.

176. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I guess when they cleaned out Tambo but left the coaching, scouting and mgt. staff in tact they figured… hey the IT dept. is killing it too, keep em all!

177. uni says:

BlacqueJacque: Hemsky backchecking again!
    I’m just drinking, not dropping acid, right?

Hemsky is a defensively responsible winger. What’s so surprising?

178. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Failed to Open Page”

is a pretty good description of the Oilers since 06.

179. BlacqueJacque says:

What’s the score in Calgary? It can’t be good, people are leaving the CP thread.

180. BlacqueJacque says:

uni: Hemsky is a defensively responsible winger.What’s so surprising?

It comes and goes, and usually not in the preseason.

181. striatic says:

Fedun seems to be playing extremely well.

anyone know how Potter is doing in the Edmonton game?

i’m starting to think Fedun might just start the season on the big club, something he didn’t get a chance to do the first time he was supposed to.

182. gr8one says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Indeed.

Grebeshkov and Musil over 6 minutes in period one. I expect the goaltending has been an issue based on the pbpb?

184. skidplate says:

BlacqueJacque,

Looks to still be 2 – 0

185. Safetyguy says:

2 nothing oilers in Calgary after two periods

3 – 1 oilers in Edmonton after 1

186. Young Oil says:

BlacqueJacque,

2-0 Oilers. Jones and Perron with the goals. I can’t get the Edmonton stream so I’ll be watching that the rest of the night it seems!

187. striker says:

BlacqueJacque,

2-0 in Cgy, 2nd intermission. I would pay for them to have scotch instead of beer at hockey arenas

188. Romulus Apotheosis says:

so… does that mobile app thing actually work and if so can someone tell me what it is and how to get it?

189. skidplate says:

I got the Edm feed back.

190. uni says:

Finally getting the Edmonton feed, looks like we all missed a helluva a 1st period for a pre-season game.

191. skidplate says:

Perfect, just in time for intermission

192. Romulus Apotheosis says:

feed working now… just missed 3 fucking goals.

assholes.

193. Young Oil says:

striatic,

I don’t think Potter is playing at all today…someone correct me if I’m wrong.

194. BlacqueJacque says:

Thanks for the updates everyone.

FYI, apparently if you refresh, you’re going to lose the feeds.

striker,

Yikes! I can’t imagine the scotch prices. $9 small beer is bad enough.

195. Nightman_ says:

Finally got both feeds, edm via mobile, calgary via flames.nhl.com. click the play button in the center of the screenshot rather than the watch live button

Okay, I need a favor. I’m writing the ON post game thread, can someone give me a thumbnail of the first in edm?

Newer Comments »