PS G3: OILERS V JETS

Dallas Eakins will be behind the bench tonight in Winnipeg for the first time as Oilers head coach. I would have thought he’d have packed a better hockey club, but he appears to be determined to give everyone a chance. There are some interesting “players to watch” tonight.

THE WARMUP

hurdle gif

TONIGHT’S LINEUP

• Gagner-Omark-Jones
  • Arcobello-R Hamilton-Yakupov
  • Lander-Joensuu-Pitlick
  • Martindale-Moroz-Abney
  • Smid-Petry
  • Grebeshkov-Larsen
  • Klefbom-Davidson
  • LaBarbera-Bachman

The Jets are dressing a much better team (home side usually does so in pre-season) but there’s some fun things for Oiler fans.  Sam Gagner has Linus Omark and Ryan Jones to help him with Kane-Jokinen-Setoguchi, so that should go well. The Arco line is going to be fun to watch, and Tyler Pitlick makes an appearance before harvest is through.

The blue features Smid-Petry plus Grebeshkov-Larsen, and two very interesting kids in Klefbom and Davidson. Hey, I think the entire fourth line, both goalies, plus the third pairing is going to be headed to OKC soon, but good for Davidson (cover photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved) and there’s little doubt he’s made an impression this camp.

familyguy

At this point, I think we’re down to 5 or less roster spots in question for the Edmonton Oilers 13-14. They may be active around the end of the month, possibly bringing in some size or a center, and they may be ready to move on from some players.

1. At center, is it Arcobello for Nuge; is it Lander for Acton?
  2. On the wing, does Ryan Hamilton win the day over Omark?
  3. On the blue, do the Russians push one or both of Larsen/Potter out of the equation?
  4. Does Ty Rimmer get a contract?

OILERS PRE-SEASON SCORING

16. Ryan Hamilton 1, 0-1-1
  17. Denis Grebeshkov 1, 0-1-1
  18. Mike Brown 1, 0-1-1
  19. Brandon Davidson 1, 0-1-1
  20. David Musil 1, 0-1-1
  21. Darnell Nurse 1, 0-1-1

245 Responses to "PS G3: OILERS V JETS"

« Older Comments
  1. B S says:

Did yak just block an empty net shot in a preseason game?

2. Oilanderp says:

Well that was a fun last part!

3. OilFire says:

Bruce McCurdy: issue

Nice. Spilled my drink a bit on that one.

4. RexLibris says:

This is the absolute truth:

Last year I finally got a PVR. Decided to use it on a bunch of Oiler games. Every one I recorded, they lost.

I put this to the test against a friend of mine who has the opposite luck (obviously not a season-ticket holder) and sure enough, it was the Detroit game where Datsyuk walked around Petry to score the winning goal.

Tonight, I listened and watched as much as I could. The Jets scored the third goal and I decided enough was enough, go to Lowetide’s blog and see what was what.

The Oilers promptly score two.

Maybe I should switch to recording Canucks games?

5. striatic says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Here’s an idea for you — announce the goal and show the goddamn pictures of the point scorers during the time out!

they were using the scoreboard feed, so presumably it wouldn’t be a problem for people in the arena watching the game.

6. RexLibris says:

B S:
    Did yak just block an empty net shot in a preseason game?

I noticed that too. Eakins is going to be happy with that.

Fun night! Winnipeg deserves to go home happy many nights after that long, long time of darkness. A few nice things, I think there was some major exposure for some Oilers hopefuls.

And good for Moroz. I’m happy he scored.

8. crude says:

RexLibris,

Maybe the issue is that you are recording the Oilers opponents…

How did Yakupov not get an assist on that second goal?

10. OilFire says:

How did Yakupov not get an assist on that second goal?

He did on the Oilers website…

11. VanOil says:

B S:
    Did yak just block an empty net shot in a preseason game?

12. Oilanderp says:

I agree with Brown. Phil Larsen is a great center.

13. BlacqueJacque says:

VanOil: I think the kid might want to win! I don’t know what he can do to make me love him more but I am sure he will find away. Probably pissing off Don Cherry at the same time.

I bet if we changed Yakupov’s jersey number and gave him a WASP name, Cherry would sing his praises right up until the first close-up.

14. Bulging Twine says:

Larsen: wow! Who knew?! Really, really good skater. Has great jump.

Martindale: Much much better than I expected. How does he compare to Lander? His skating is better.

Lander: ugh, hated watching him tonight! Slow, passive, so…not assertive. Too bad, I like the kid.

15. Bulging Twine says:

Davidson: He’s good with the puck under pressure. Twice showed very quick hands to get the puck out of danger. Has good balance.

16. RexLibris says:

crude,

With the Detroit game, my friend has about an 80% success rate at games (he goes, they win 8 times out of 10). Me, if I watch it sort of goes the other way, although recent seasons may have skewed those results.

Anyway, friend is in attendance at the Detroit game and the Oilers are winning. I’m out but I’ve PVRd the thing. I get home and turn on the tv and see the Oilers are still ahead. My backside doesn’t have time to hit the couch before the Red Wings score and take the lead.

Ridiculous. I’d start watching Flames games, but I don’t want to see McDavid in those colours. ;)

17. RexLibris says:

Bulging Twine,

Agreed. I like Davidson. I don’t think he’s in the mix right now, but I think it’ll be he and Marincin neck and neck at the 2014-2015 camp for the #6 spot.

18. B S says:

BlacqueJacque,

But that’s why I love Yak. He flies in the face of everything those Neanderthallic bigots like Cherry and Spector spout off. He’s passionate, doesn’t give a f#$% about the Old Boys Clubs and plays his heart out better than any Canadian-born kid has in the last 20 years.

19. speeds says:

It makes sense to me that, if Larsen is even close to the cut off between being waived or kept, relative to some of the other D, they’d choose to keep Larsen, for no reason other than he’s younger and they potentially hold his rights for longer. If the Oilers think he has any kind of long term potential, why would they waive him ahead of Potter (for example) if the performance between the two is even close?

20. BlacqueJacque says:

B S,

Exactly. He’s my favorite Oiler.

Nuge, Hall, Eberle – they’re all great, but they’re so… Canadian. There was a time when being a Canadian hockey player meant being passionate and emotional, but somewhere in the last 20 years, that’s been beaten out of kids. Hall shows his frustration sometimes, but the other two have freon for blood. That’s not bad, mind you, but Yak’s enthusiasm and passion is infectious.

21. Zelepukin says:

After this game I can see Arcobello, Lander, Pitlick, Martindale, Moroz, and Abney on their way out.

22. Andropod says:

If you cant get a feed first make sure your pop up blocker is off, and if you have an ad blocker you need to turn that off too. I only figured it out when I could receive the feed on one of my pc’s and not the other.

23. B S says:

BlacqueJacque,

I totally get what you mean. I love that Eberle is a stone-cold killer with 2 minutes left on the clock down a goal in a championship game, but Yak scores a goal then skates to the glass kissing the logo, that’s been missing from hockey for decades.

24. Jesse says:

I’ve never seen Potter do anything close to what Larsen did tonight. Gee whiz. Those were some nice moves in the o-zone.

Of course, he was partially to blame for the third Jets goal, but I’d like to gloss over that in my excitement at these new found aspects of his game.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Best part of tonight was seeing Randy Jones and Brendan Davidson take their first spin as Oilers.

It’s going to be hard to keep track of these guys alongside Ryan Jones and Brandon Davidson, but MacT clearly saw potential in their play.

speeds:
    It makes sense to me that, if Larsen is even close to the cut off between being waived or kept, relative to some of the other D, they’d choose tokeep Larsen, for no reason other than he’s younger and they potentially hold his rights for longer.If the Oilers think he has any kind of long term potential, why would they waive him ahead of Potter (for example) if the performance between the two is even close?

Agreed.

27. Bank Shot says:

I actually think Arcobello just might be the best player in camp without a guaranteed spot on the roster. too bad he’s 5’9″. If I had to chose between him and Omark as the little guy I take Arcobello and don’t look back.

Pitlick is one of the only forward prospects the Oilers have that has plus NHL skating. He looks like an NHLer skating around. He kind of fails when he has to make decisions with the puck. Thinks the game like a donkey. His skills seem adequate to play a 4th line role. It will be interesting to see if he can succeed there in the next couple of seasons.

Joensuu is seemingly universally loved. I’m not really sure why besides BIG. He turns like a fire truck. Poor acceleration. He doesn’t seem to be able to make plays in his own zone, or with the puck really. He’s not all that solid on his skates for his size.

He does put in good effort, and will go to the front of the net and hack like a mad lumberjack…..I’m not sure its enough.

I like Davidson. He looks like he has good mobility and can make decisions with the puck. Hopefully he continues to progress in the minors. Good lord we still need D as the incumbents for the number 6 spot currently look like a bunch of half wits.

Lander looks good at times. I dunno if he brings enough. He’s so bubbly. I hope he can get over it, but it could go either way.

28. OilLeak says:

speeds:

I don’t think that Larsen is that close to Potter, Larsen was a complete mess in the defensive end before the nice plays at the end.

29. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

A Randy’s Down drinking game seems like a way to get through those afternoon games in Phoenix this year. Simple when he lands on his ass we all yell Randy and take a drink.

30. BlacqueJacque says:

Larsen was as good in our zone as MAB.

Hopefully he doesn’t wreck friendly knees in game 1 of the Finals like MAB.

31. "Steve Smith" says:

Would I be right in thinking that, thus far, zero of LT’s “uncertain Oilers” have consistently looked like NHL players in exhibition play?

(I’ve seen very little of the games; I’m going by what I’ve heard on the radio and what I’ve read here.)

“Steve Smith”:

I think they’ve been very uneven. No one is grabbing a job, that’s for sure.

33. BlacqueJacque says:

“Steve Smith”,

Pretty much.

Davidson is too slow, Larsen can’t defend, Pitlick is the next coming of what was that Finn the last two years who couldn’t score, Arcobello doesn’t belong in the NHL, Klefbom might make it but probably shouldn’t, Martindale and Abney don’t belong in an NHL rink and Moroz needs a lot of work. Grebeshkov has got to be on the outside looking in after today. Hamilton needs to go, Omark hasn’t shown enough…

I’d honestly say the most hope on D lays with Marincin and Fedun for left and right sides, but we’ve yet to see Belov and I have to think that Grebeshkov is going to get another chance to shake off the NHL rust.

34. B S says:

“Steve Smith”,

I’d say Joenssu has looked good overall if he can just stay on his feet (like I said earlier, he needs to learn to bend his knees). He’ll probably make the club.

35. "Steve Smith" says:

B S,

LT doesn’t have him listed as “uncertain”, though.

From what I’ve heard, he probably belongs on an NHL fourth line, and seems likely to play on the Oilers’ third.

I’m mostly a fan of MacT’s off-season (at least with respect to the moves that he did make, rather than the ones he merely tried to make). But I don’t think he’s gotten us into the playoffs.

36. B S says:

B S,

Oh, I see who you mean, nm. No, I haven’t seen anyone really take a job by the balls and hold tight yet either. Larsen hasn’t shown anything we can’t expect from Marincin, and Klefbom was good tonight, but not enough so that I would take him over anyone else on the list yet.

37. Bulging Twine says:

Eakins in his press conference said that there were some guys he expected more from. He rewarded some guys in the third and pushed some guys down. So who was rewarded and who was pushed down?
    Based on ice time in the third:
    Wingers:
    Yak and Joensuu had top line minutes (Joensuu was rewarded)
    Omark and Jones had second line minutes
    Pitlick and Hamilton had third line minutes (Hamilton was pushed down)
    Moroz and Abney had 4th line minutes.

Centers:
    Gagner 8:39
    Arcobello 6:19
    Martindale 4:13
    Lander 3:33

I think we can read that the coach didn’t like Hamilton and Lander tonight and liked Joensuu.

When asked how much he reads into these preseason games, Eakins said, alot.

BT: He also punished Omark early in the third, I distinctly remember seeing Abney and Omark on the ice together. That’s something you don’t forget

39. Wolfie says:

I was at the game tonight and it’s funny how opinions differ when you see things in the flesh vs on TV. I actually thought the collection of D-men was pretty good tonight. The forwards not so much.

The D looks mobile and able to move the puck which I think will be key with the full compliment of forwards. Smid and Petry were both solid with Petry looking very confident. I really liked Klefbom as well. Seemed to always be in a good spot and made a few very good defensive plays. Larsen is mobile and moves the puck well but he was chaotic at times. Same could be said for Grebs. I was also impressed with Davidson. I expected him to be in over his head a bit but he acquitted himself nicely. The few times where Davidson and Larsen struggled they were out with the dregs.

As for the forwards Gagner was very good. He’s starting to get his man strength. Not so easily pushed off the puck. Yak is dangerous every time he crosses the opposition’s blue line.

The battle for the bottom 6 is interesting. I think Omark is done. Not enough offence to make up for the lack of everything else. I think it’s Joensuu’s job to lose. Hamilton was ok.

Pitlick was frustrating. He’s a poor man’s Paajarvi, not as fast or gifted offensively and the same muffin shot from outside. Take the bloody puck to the net! The only reason he’s gotten this far is his skating. I’m 99% sure he will not make the NHL. Moroz was awful even with the goal. Abney, whatever and Arcobello did squat. Lander looked ok. Martindale didn’t do much of anything.

Overall the hopefuls looked rather hopeless. This batch of prospects is underwhelming.

I liked Bachman tonight. I have more faith in the goaltending this year than last. Better depth and I think Bachman is an upgrade on Danis.

Can’t wait for the season to start!

40. BlacqueJacque says:

Blech, it’s really not worth reading the ON comments.

People dumping on Gagner after this game. Crazy crazy crazy.

41. Hammers says:

Didn’t get to see or hear the game but by the above comments Joensuu is solidifying his place

42. delooper says:

FWIW, Wolfie, from my perspective the game appeared much the way you saw it, although I saw Martindale make some major mistakes. He seems to lack some basic on-ice awareness. Perhaps it’s a communication problem with other players. Omark had a few nice moments but if he’s trying to win a spot on this squad he clearly doesn’t understand what it is he’ll have to do to get there. Hopefully he gets another chance and can run with it.

43. spoiler says:

I can”t get over that Michelle Jenneke wiggle. It is so delightful.

For anyone who hasn’t the seen the full video for LT’s hurdler gif above, you have to check out how this girl approaches a race. Watch to the end to see how she does at the 2012 World Championships.

44. spoiler says:

Eakins on Larsen, whose game he liked…

“Is he too small… for the cycling part of the game? He’s not exactly what you would consider a six foot five–”

“No, no. Listen, not everyone of your defensemen is going to be six five, so we’ll uh, we’ll uh just take the best ones we have.”

Mozart to my ears.

45. VanOil says:

spoiler:
    Mozart to my ears.

When we win the cup I expect to hear the tune Michelle Jenneke is wiggling to.

« Older Comments