PS G4: OILERS V CANUCKS

The Edmonton Oilers play in Vancouver tonight, the roster looks good enough to contend against Vancouver this evening. It’s also on the television, so squinting will be at a minumum.

LINEUP

• Hall-Smyth-Eberle
  • Gordon-Perron-Hemsky
  • Arcobello-Joensuu-Pitlick
  • Acton-Eager-Brown
  • Ference-Schultz
  • Nurse-N Schultz
  • Marincin-Fedun
  • Dubynk-Rimmer

I like the top line, this is giving us some insight (possibly) into the “pairs” idea, using Hall-Eberle, Nuge-Perron and Gagner-Yakupov as three scoring lines. It’s also fun to see if Boyd Gordon can run free with the thoroughbreds, and three guys looking for work get another look tonight. If Tyler Pitlick ever needed a big game–like a goal and an assist and a good defensive play–tonight’s the night. Will Acton is either ahead or behind Lander but that job is available and it’s a big night for him too.

Ference makes his Oiler debut with Schultz the younger, might as well get them comfortable now. Nurse gets another game, it’s pretty clear to me they really like him–I don’t know that they’ll keep him for 9 games but next fall he might make the club. Marincin and Fedun are both playing well enough to warrant consideration, a quality showing tonight and they may be in the opening night conversation if others continue to falter.

Dubnyk starts.

SAY GOODBYE

slap shot gif

The Oilers are pretty aggressive on the cuts, they’ve been getting down to a reasonable number smartly. Sent out today were:

• Cameron Abney: He got as deep into camp as we’ve seen him, I’m not at all sure what it means. “Steve Smith” has become the resident expert on Abney, I’m hopeful he’ll leave his thoughts in the comments section.
  • Mitchell Moroz: Big guy scored a goal last night, I was happy to see him do it. Here’s hoping he pops 30 in the WHL this season and shows well enough to earn a pro contract.
  • Kale Kessy: I honestly don’t have a thing to say about him, beyond I miss Tobias Rieder.
  • Brandon Davidson: Did more to help his cause in the organization than any of the kids sent out today (or in previous days). I can see him getting a cup of coffee this season in the NHL–he played that well! adamsgif

303 Responses to "PS G4: OILERS V CANUCKS"

« Older Comments
  1. RexLibris says:

Andropod,

That’s why he’s in the BoGo bin.

2. VanOil says:

speeds,

Though better ice surfaces would aide Oilers hockey. Zamboni driver versus Ice Girls is a non starter in most non traditional hockey markets.

3. RexLibris says:

I played goal for awhile in our street hockey group. Nobody had pads so my friend made a set for me out of a vinyl picnic tablecloth filled with pink insulation. Terrible pads, but boy was I warm!

4. sliderule says:

Nurse could skate circles around Pronger when he was in his prime.

They have to send him back but if he can put on 20 lbs he will be here next year for sure.

5. BlacqueJacque says:

RexLibris,

If I can’t remember a young CFP, there’s no chance I can tell you about a 1980 Lowe. I was still practicing using the toilet and was in a communist country then :)

6. Gret99zky says:

I can see them burning a year off the Nurse contract. Because Oilers.

7. RexLibris says:

Re: Paajarvi and Pitlick comparison – is it just the shooting % and speed, or is it positioning and defensive awareness?

8. striatic says:

Ference has owned the Sedins all night.

9. Lucinius says:

Our powerplay seems to take even fewer shots than last year, so far.

And that’s simply mind-boggling.

10. RexLibris says:

Brown’s okay, the moustache took the puck.

11. Lucinius says:

RexLibris,

Paajarvi is pretty much a faster, more defensively aware, superior offensive player with better positioning version of Pitlick.

And they don’t really play the same style.

In short; its a bad comparison, imo.

12. RexLibris says:

Lucinius,

A noticeable lack of Yakupov.

13. RexLibris says:

Lucinius,

Not my comparison, from an earlier comment.

14. BlacqueJacque says:

RexLibris,

I don’t see overly much similarity other than sh%. Magnus would commit to defense too soon, Pitlick has naturally sound positioning. Both are shy of crashing the net, Magnus was faster and stronger and more skilled. Pitlick is more physical. Magnus will have a career, Pitlick is on the edge of a cliff.

15. speeds says:

VanOil,

I don’t think that’s an issue – who buys tickets because they like the ice cleaning crew? Who wouldn’t buy tickets if they were removed? Which they wouldn’t necessarily be, because they could still have an ice cleaning crew at the 1st and 3rd TV timeouts.

16. VanOil says:

Nurse does look good tonight. I want him to dominate the OHL this year. The the AHL next year.

Because I am a party pooper and I want the Oilers to be good enough not to need him until then.

17. hags9k says:

Oh shit. They’re going to keep Nurse.

18. RexLibris says:

I don’t think they keep Nurse. I think they give him these games to show him what is expected and what professional hockey means. Every shift he plays with Ference is a tutorial he doesn’t get in the OHL.

19. speeds says:

VanOil,

Nurse is not AHL eligible next year. Would be NHL or back to the OHL for him next year.

20. Lucinius says:

One of the few negatives about Hall; he loves the blind pass.

Gagner hasn’t done a thing in this game.

22. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nurse could play with Ference all year if he played like this. Of course no one would expect this all year.

23. VanOil says:

speeds,

I see it as a culture of the game thing. Most american sports operate with a dab of Hooters management philosophy.

24. Andropod says:

nor Yak

25. RexLibris says:

Just me or has Brown had a busy night?

26. BlacqueJacque says:

He’s playing tonight? I’m not being facetious, I thought it was Gordon on line 2, between ebs and Perron.

27. RexLibris says:

Gagner hasn’t done a thing in this game.

Yeah, but neither has Wellwood, so there’s that.

28. Gret99zky says:

I’d take Nurse over Grebs. Just sayin.

29. Lucinius says:

BlacqueJacque,

I’m pretty Sure LT was poking fun at the Gagner detractors.

30. RexLibris says:

BlacqueJacque,

LT is being facetious. The cheeky devil.

31. BlacqueJacque says:

God dammit… Owned by the man.

BlacqueJacque:

He’s playing tonight?I’m not being facetious, I thought it was Gordon on line 2, between ebs and Perron.

Just joshing. I thought Gagner-Yak had some nice chem last night.

33. VanOil says:

speeds:
    VanOil,
    Nurse is not AHL eligible next year.Would be NHL or back to the OHL for him next year.

Wow, I was not aware of that. I thought 2nd year after draft they were free to leave.

34. Andropod says:

Common sense aside I’d love to see Nurse as a 3rd pairing D.

35. Gret99zky says:

that Brown mustache is truly a work of art.

36. VanOil says:

Acton may not have scoring wingers tonight, but he should feel free to mix it up and be lippy.

37. RexLibris says:

VanOil,

As I understand it, Nurse can’t go to the AHL until the end of next season, maybe.

38. VOR says:

If you are looking for comparable players for Nurse, you have to go a bit further back.

I like a comparable to be a player who was the same height and weight at the same age. Also where some of the commentary is similar. Okay so tall, LD, can move the puck, can throw body checks, and by reputation can fight. One who when he was drafted everybody said needed to gain twenty pounds.

I say if you are prepared to reach for the stars there is an obvious comparable. After all if you are dreaming, dream big. I like Larry Robinson as the comparable.

39. RexLibris says:

Gret99zky,

True story: the moustache was actually a MacTavish free-agent signing.

40. SK Oiler Fan says:

RexLibris,

Brown has been miles better than Eager tonight. Eager and the puck do not get along

41. crude says:

J Schultz smoked Shinkaruk there.

42. speeds says:

VanOil,

for CHL drafted players, it depends on their birthday. If Nurse were born between Sept16-Dec31,1994, he’d be AHL eligible next year, but players like him born in 1995 aren’t AHL eligible next year. That’s why Eberle had to go back to the WHL for 2 seasons post draft, but Hamilton only had to go back to the WHL for one season post draft.

43. RexLibris says:

VOR,

I could live with that. :)

44. RexLibris says:

SK Oiler Fan,

Suspect Eakins is seeing the same thing. I wonder if he tries to correct it, or just demote him to the 4th line and tell him not to screw things up.

45. VanOil says:

speeds,

Thanks for the details. It is hard to imagine him as an OHL player next year.

46. Gret99zky says:

Dubie has played very well tonight, IMO.

He is a big wildcard this year if the Oilers want to see the second season.

47. BlacqueJacque says:

Nuge would love being between Perron and Eberle. Two great shooters who can skate, not afraid of driving the net despite their size.

48. crude says:

I, for one, am comfortable with Brown in the line-up.

Someone remind me, is the math on him real dire?

49. speeds says:

VanOil,

Pietrangelo (drafted 4 OV) played 2 years in the OHL post draft, then posted 43 pts in 79 GP as a 20 year old, along with a D-leading +18.

50. RexLibris says:

I wonder if we could see Eager waived?

51. SK Oiler Fan says:

RexLibris,

This is my only viewing of Eager this year, but based on tonight he doesn’t, make this team.

52. Andropod says:

I’m quite Eager to see Brown replace him. Regrettably a concussed fighter is not much better than a D with bad ankles.

53. VanOil says:

speeds,

That is good news, I assume that staying in the OHL also preserves the 3 years on his entry level deal?

A very mobile defense tonight, man they move the puck and they’re always battling for it. There have been a mountain of sticks trying to get pucks in this game, more than I can recall the Oilers doing in the past.

Good passers too. All of the D tonight imo can make and take a pass, and all the forwards except Eager (as was mentioned above by SK or Rex).

55. RexLibris says:

I see Eakins has stapled Brad Ference to the bench for this third period.

56. RexLibris says:

VanOil,

Doesn’t kick in until he turns pro.

57. Oilanderp says:

Brown looks good tonight. Welcome to #13.

58. BlacqueJacque says:

Brown has played well. He hasn’t had a bad showing yet this preseason.

I also hate to say this because I really liked the man, but I’m glad kreuger isn’t coach any more. Schultzo looks good again, Brown looks good, Gagner looked good, Schultzy looks calmer…

59. RexLibris says:

Terrible game for the fans in attendance. Give up four quick goals and then sit through 40 minutes of nothing.

60. Gret99zky says:

Sweet. That was fun to watch.

Love beating the Canucks. Love it.

61. VanOil says:

I am breaking in a new TV tonight, I hope all Oilers games continue to look so good on it.

62. Oilanderp says:

I’m still waiting for the blown lead and OT loss…. wait… we had the lead?!? *fistpump*

63. Bulging Twine says:

I have moved Acton ahead of Lander on my list.

64. Suntory Hanzo says:

Nuge out past Santa’s birthday? Did I hear that right?

65. OilFire says:

Great game.

My favourite moment though, was when Garret was being particularly dumb and homer-y and the other announcer says “boy, they’ll be glad to have Kevin and Louie back”

66. striatic says:

RexLibris:

it is the speed up the wing and their similar zone entry.

67. Ice Sage says:

Thanks, Lou.
    Starting to regret not taking that so-noticeable Bo Horvat ;-)

68. Suntory Hanzo says:

Ice Sage,

Did Horvat play tonight? Haven’t looked at lineup, but watched almost all of it..

Or is that another LT cheeky comment?

69. Bulging Twine says:

Good passers too. All of the D tonight imo can make and take a pass,

Agree. I liked Hunt. I would like to see him against big LA though. Vancouver didn’t get much pressure on the D. Although that may be because the D was able to get it quickly and move it.

I think Marincin was the low D man on the totem pole tonight.

70. BlacqueJacque says:

Between Clarkson passing on our bigger overpay and us being able to keep the kids as a consequence, and not giving up our pick to get Dan Cloutier, a pick that turned out to be Nurse, I think MacT is the luckiest GM in the league right now and I hope he knows it.

71. RexLibris says:

striatic,

That I can see. But Paajarvi has a sense of the game that Pitlick seems to lack.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

feel bad for Eager oddly. Not sure why. He just doesn’t have it.

I’m really hoping that the hands on deck keep Nurse away for a minimum of 1 and 2/3 seasons. minimum. He looks fantastic. But I’m tired of rushing players.

It looked like Eakins was running “show me” camp with a bunch of kids in the 3rd. Brown looked good (for Brown). Acton and Pitlick seemed determined but without much to show for it.

73. Ice Sage says:

Suntory Hanzo,

No, I’m not that clever! Heard Horvat’s name in 1st period, not much after. Nurse the better prospect tonite

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque: Dan Cloutier

As much as I love ripping on the Nucks and Gillis… not sure Schneids belongs in this woeful company…

Of course, Cloutier played on a damn good Nuck team in those years. I still have tears of joy saved in a jar somewhere of him blowing it in the playoffs (I wish).

75. oilinthepeg says:

I feel bad for Eager too… maybe it’s the fact that he looks so depressed and worried every time they interview the guy.

Please, mister… just one more chance… I’ll be good, I promise.

Brown, though. The moustache does all the talking there.
    That’s a man who is going places.

TOI for blue tonight

J Schultz 20:43
    Nurse 20:31
    N Schultz 17:39
    Ference 16:40
    Marincin 14:17
    Hunt 12:18

77. SK Oiler Fan says:

Really liked Joensu tonight. Goes to the net, shoots the puck, looks annoying to play against.
    Man Nurse and Shultz were fun to watch tonight. They play the whole game with their head up, even with the puck.
    Ference just brings the whole D corps up a notch. He’s good at everything. Underated with the puck.
    Hall is going to score in bunches this year. He seems to have the puck more in the middle which is of course a good thing. I sure hope he sees more ice this year.

Nurse: “”I felt really good, especially in my own zone. I’m getting more and more comfortable out there each game.

79. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

OMG that was an actual brain fart.

I think I did it twice in this post.

I meant Schneider.

Dubnyk: “We came out flying at the start and didn’t give them a chance to come back. That’s what we have to do every game.”

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

OMG that was an actual brain fart.

I think I did it twice in this post.

I meant Schneider.

Ha!

I thought you had re-named Schneids for the purpose of comedy.

Let’s call someone Cloutier…. Eddie Lack?

82. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I wish I was that funny!

Eakins on Nurse: “He played excellent… He was on a war path.”

84. BlacqueJacque says:

It distresses me that of all the defencemen who should be competing for a roster spot, it’s the recently drafted OHL rookie who’s making the best case for it.

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This isn’t doing my man-crush on Yak any favors:

Nail YakupovVerified account
    ‏@Nail10_1993
    Good job Guys !!! @EdmontonOilers

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Looks like Whitney got in a tilt tonight trying to impress:

Chorney with an assist. Doesn’t show if Magnus played or not.

87. speeds says:

With 4 exhibition games remaining for the Oilers, including 2 back to back, how many cuts (if any) will EDM make prior to their next game?

88. G Money says:

Impressions from this game:

- Notwithstanding any of the other depth D candidates, the change of Whitney out and Ference in by itself looks like a vast improvement for the defense

- Overall defensively, the Oilers already look more organized and more calm than last year. Not sure if this is just pre-season (lack of) intensity, or early positive returns on Eakins’ tactical systems. Hope its the latter.

- Holy smokes, that Nurse kid looks like he’s going to be a rock in a few years. Overall, he was vastly better than Horvat to my eyes – who in theory, as a forward, should be closer to NHL ready.

- The zone exits still need a lot of work, looked like a lot of shots and chances against came from disorganized giveaways immediately after exiting at the Oiler blueline. A couple of times, Lowetide’s fabled 3 for 1 occurred, except in this case it was three Oilers converging in the middle just outside the blueline and handing the puck away.

- If I squint right, Joensuu looks like a player. Unfortunately, I still don’t think he’s the 3L that we need. Upgrade at 4L though. If our 3/4 lines are to not be black holes this year, the improvement looks like it will have to come from a better third pairing and a better system. ‘Cause the players likely to be on those lines overall don’t look too good so far.

- In particular, Acton and Lander so far do not give me any comfort at 4C.

- Speaking of C, Hall still does not look comfortable playing in the middle. Perron and Ebs, along with Yak and Gags last game, looking mighty good. Going to be some thunderous noise on the wings this year.

89. Clay says:

Late to the party here…

Nurse + 25 lbs = payback for all those years of Regher. I hope Sven Baertschi likes the taste of plexi-glass.

Man he looked good tonight. Marincin too. Add in Klefbom… Only wish one of those three were right-handed.

90. striatic says:

speeds:

i am guessing not many before saturday, but with quite a few cuts on sunday morning.

91. Hammers says:

Liked the coaching especially in the 3rd . Still pressed but strong on backchecking & “D” .

92. striatic says:

G Money: If I squint right, Joensuu looks like a player. Unfortunately, I still don’t think he’s the 3L that we need. Upgrade at 4L though.

the 3LW is Smyth, at least once RNH is back.

Smyth is still extremely capable, the problem is that over the past two seasons it has been well established that if you play him too much, the wheels come off.

in order to reduce Smyth’s minutes he can’t go 3LW .. so i think we will end up seeing a 3LWa/3LWb situation and it looks like Joensuu should be capable.

i suspect that Smyth, Jones and Joensuu are going to be playing up and down the lineup on the port side all year.

93. hoser313 says:

Nice to see Joensuu take a run at Bieksa near the end of the game. Too many nights last year where Brown was the only guy hitting the other team’s “difficult” players.

94. Zelepukin says:

Hopefully they keep Nurse around for at least the remaining pre-season games so he can get in as much NHL experience as possible. The drawback is it takes away another opportunity for one of these other bums to play themselves out of a spot, like Garbagekov.

95. Bulging Twine says:

hoser313:
    Nice to see Joensuu take a run at Bieksa near the end of the game.Too many nights last year where Brown was the only guy hitting the other team’s “difficult” players.

I saw that too. Good move.

96. Zipdot says:

RexLibris:

Hahaha, thanks for that, a rare laugh out loud. ;)

97. Zipdot says:

OilFire:
    Great game.

Yeah, that was on the Dubnyk dumping. Said he is unproven and played a bunch o games where the team expected to lose, said he was a real question mark.

I am so sick and tired of the Dubnyk slagging. He’s an elite goalie and anyone who has played goal and/or looks at stats charts knows it.

98. Andropod says:

LT: What’s the most comments you have ever had on a blog?

99. Zipdot says:

Andropod: LT: What’s the most comments you have ever had on a blog?

This was asked a week or two ago; I think the answer was around 600-700 in a game day blog.

100. striatic says:

feed is smooth in Seattle.

101. striatic says:

Zipdot,

if the oilers make the playoffs, we’ll crack 2000.

anropod: Yeah, I think 700 or so. It would definitely have been a GDt.

Gagner photo. Very bad.

103. striatic says:

that pizza box game is next level degree of difficulty compared to the helmet/puck scoreboard shellgame at T-Birds games.

« Older Comments