PS G5 OILERS V CANUCKS

The Edmonton Oilers are 2-2 so far in pre-season, with some interesting performances–good and bad–clouding the possible opening night roster. Tonight, we’lre going to see 14 guys who are likely to make the final cut and another 8 who are on the bubble. Let’s have a look.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP

lane2

• Hall-Smyth-Hemsky: This has been a line for long enough I think we can talk about it actually happening opening night. I wonder if they might slip Yakupov or Perron into Smyth’s slot sometime this week, but the Hall-Hemsky chem is real and spectacular. Smyth’s footspeed is going to be a problem, and Yakupov is available for elevation tonight.
  • Gagner-Perron-Eberle: I don’t like the Gagner-Eberle combination intuitively because they are so similar, but Eakins must see something he likes here. Perron is a fascinating player to watch, certainly gives the team a gear they didn’t have one year ago. I think this could be a line opening night, although for me Gagner-Yakupov was interesting in Winnipeg and it would be nice to see it again.
  • Khaira-R Hamilton-Yakupov: A nice push for the kid Khaira, if he could keep up with Yakupov I’d be over the moon. More likely, this line won’t last long and you’ll see Yak City with the high end skill guys. Hamilton continues to get a push.
  • Acton-Jones-Brown: This could be a 4line opening night and I don’t think people would be overly surprised. Acton looks good but his results (faceoffs, etc) don’t match the saw him good storyline. Parkatti’s game stats the other night saw him bad and I don’t think he’s grabbed the job. Jones is a guy I have making the roster, he’ll be able to help the 3 and 4 line scoring and could jump up in a pinch. Brown seems to be less impressive to those who clamor for this player type than he was a year ago, I’m not certain why. Either way, I expect he makes the final roster.
  • Nurse-Petry: Coach Dallas Eakins was quoted this morning as saying Nurse is “definitely getting better every day… His job is to keep screwing up our plans” and that seems about right. Nurse at 22 is pretty much exactly what this team needs, but things can look one way in a small window and those things can disappear over the long haul. The Oilers–in my opinion–are at least thinking about it based on the players he’s been paired with this TC. I still believe they’ll send him out, but at this point a 9-game look is possible. Petry is old reliable without actually being old–Prendergast gets no credit for it but that was an outstanding draft pick, one of his very best.
  • Grebeshkov-Belov: The feature pairing tonight, Grebs because we need to see if he flags again after 30 minutes, and Belov because we’ve never seen him before. I’ll want to see how mobile Belov is, along with passing ability and that big shot, too. Fun stuff.
  • Fedun-Hunt: Interesting pairing, I think this duo probably gets the heave-ho after the game or early next week. Still, they’ve shown very well and Fedun specifically has given the organization a reason to think he could handle a mid-season callup. Hunt entered as something of an unknown, now he’s reminding old timers like me of men like Reijo Ruotsalainen. There’s nothing wrong with his creativity.
  • LaBarbera-Rimmer: Fascinating choice for backup, this kid Rimmer must really have impressed them. LaBarbera has enjoyed a strong TC so far, I can’t say that’s a surprise. Rimmer is slated to play the second half of the game–HNIC, national television. So cool.

SEPARATION

upintheair1

I think what we’re seeing in tonight’s lineup is the final showing for several players. During training camp I’ve split the players into three categories, let’s have a look at those lists with men playing tonight underlined:

THE CERTAIN OILERS (17)

• Goalies (2) Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera
  • Defensemen (5) Jeff Petry and Ladislav Smid, Justin Schultz and Andrew Ferense, Nick Schultz
  • Centermen (3) Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (inj), Sam Gagner, Boyd Gordon
  • Left Wing (3)  David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth
  • Right Wing (4) Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones

I believe all of the starters tonight in this category are certain roster players. Sure, you could create a scenario where Ryan Jones doesn’t make the team, but is that realistic? So too with Ryan Smyth, it doesn’t really make sense. If they struggle for a month, it’s a different story.

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS (15)

• Goalies (none)
  • Defensemen (7): Anton Belov, Denis Grebeshkov, Corey Potter, Phil Larsen, Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin, Taylor Fedun
  • Center (4): Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello, Will Acton, Andrew Miller
  • Left Wing (3): Linus Omark, Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
  • Right Wing (1): Mike Brown

This is the heart of the matter. Three defensemen playing tonight trying for two (or three) roster spots and the race for those jobs is as clear as mud this afternoon. A strong effort by any of these three could impact the players not on the ice tonight, and I do think the Russians have an inside track on the 6-7 jobs (don’t know what order). This could be the last game for Fedun before heading south. Among the forwards, this is a big night for Acton–he must be close–and you can say the same thing about Hamilton (I think he pretty much has a job now). Mike Brown probably makes the team.

THE OUTSIDERS (8)

• Goalies (4): Richard Bachman, Olivier Roy, Tyler Bunz, Ty Rimmer
  • Defensemen (6): Brad Hunt, Martin Gernat, Brandon Davidson, David Musil, Darnell Nurse, Joey Leach
  • Centermen (3): Ryan Martindale, CJ Stretch, Travis Ewanyk
  • Left Wing (5): Curtis Hamilton, Austin Fyten, Kale Kessy, Mitchell Moroz, Jujhar Khaira
  • Right Wing (4): Tyler Pitlick, Matt Ford, Derek Nesbitt, Cameron Abney

I think there’s plenty of news in this category. Martindale and Hamilton are just waiting for the next wave of cuts, Pitlick may be in that group but he certainly played well enough to impress Eakins on some level. The guys playing tonight in this category could also be sent down tomorrow without a lot of fuss (Nurse’s performance aside).

LIKELY CUTS

G Richard Bachman, G Ty Rimmer, D Brad Hunt, D Darnell Nurse, C Ryan Martindale, L Curtis Hamilton, F Jujhar Khaira, R Tyler Pitlick, C Andrew Miller, C Anton Lander, L Linus Omark.

460 Responses to "PS G5 OILERS V CANUCKS"

Newer Comments »
  1. hunter1909 says:

Who else likes the new Pacific Division?

I hated the Wild: boring, and the Avs were at first too good, then too boring also. Glad to get them away from the oilers.

The Flames and Canucks give Oiler fans lots to hate, while awaiting new rivalries with the Kings + Quacks.

I plan to keep liking the Sharks for as long as possible.

PS: Great to see Detroit back in the east. I suddenly like them again, for the first time this century.

Hunter: Sharks are the original Seals. I’ll always love them. Inner sanctum.

God that looks like Pouliot.

4. Gret99zky says:

No’mark.

Is he done?

Gret99zky:
    No’mark.

Is he done?

That’s my guess. He hasn’t shown much, may get one more shot.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“C Anton Lander, L Linus Omark.”

bit early for both to leave camp in the next round. Lander especially.

7. blackdog says:

With Ted out I figured Omark would have a real shot for some time with the big boys but he hasn’t impressed. Probably a goner.

Wondering if they will go with eight D and Potter on IR, if so it really gets sticky up front, I would think Eager over Brown, Hamilton and then Acton or Lander. Still hard to say plus injuries may play a part still.

Not long now!!!

8. OilLeak says:

LT, Ty Rummer looks like a keeper.

blackdog:

Not long now!!!

Yeah, I think they’ll do as you say (keep 8D and ir Potter) and then Acton, Hamilton and Eager/ Brown fill out the rest. UNLESS they make the trade I’ve been talking about since the 1970′s! :-)

OilLeak:
    LT, Ty Rummer looks like a keeper.

Oh crap. I’ll fix. Rummer. Good grief.

11. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Sharks are the original Seals. I’ll always love them.

Idea: Oilers could play a few games wearing original Golden Seals style units, to celebrate their finally proving that if the Seals only had drafted Lafleur…

12. Andropod says:

Is Eager that much better than Brown at everything else that not being able to fight anymore does not preclude him?

13. BlacqueJacque says:

I don’t think they keep 8D. There are too many call-ups available that don’t have to go through waivers. Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom, and even Hunt are showing well. Somebody gets hurt? IR and call one of those kids up. We get 9 games of Nurse before he loses a year of his ELC, and correct me if I’m wrong, we can use those 9 games at any time.

This isn’t like trying to keep JDD off waivers, because, you know, him getting picked up was going to be a deathblow to the club.

It’s too bad the Canucks are dumping their AHL squad on us tonight. Won’t be able to judge anything, and I guess they don’t want to get embarrassed twice in the preseason.

14. hunter1909 says:

Andropod:

Brown guarantees he’ll always fight. No point in wasting his knuckles.

Eager, on the other hand still has to prove he’s finally stopped being a fucking drama queen. You know…the ‘Look! I played 4 minutes per game on a cup winner!’ schtick.

hunter1909: How exactly can this be? Weren’t the real Seals amalgamated with the North Stars or some other permutation?

It goes like this:

1. The Gund family (furry toy company) moved the Seals to Cleveland in the mid 1970′s and played there (Gunds are from Cleveland iirc) for a couple of seasons.
    2. As part of the agreement to merge the Seals-Barons roster with Minnesota’s, the NHL (Ziegler?) agreed that the Gund family would re-enter the NHL with a west coast expansion team when both sides felt the time was right.
    3. In the early 1990′s the Gund family applied and the San Jose Sharks were born.

16. OilLeak says:

I’m really excited to see Belov, the Oilers need him to be good or the D is going to be a problem again this seasom. Also, there seems to be less of an appetite to trade N. Schultz now that everyone has seen what Larsen and company have shown thus far in camp. Sometimes the shiny new toys aren’t all that shiny.

17. dawgtoy says:

Hall warming up to playing center could mean depth at center and three scoring lines. Dare we dream!

18. BlacqueJacque says:

Now THAT is dedicated ownership. I wonder what it’s like.

19. hunter1909 says:

I’m friends with a few Sharks fans – they’re Silicon Valley types, really smart and enjoy hockey in a way which some of us can only dream of.

Thanks for the history lesson. I always liked the Sharks. Except Logan Couture, lol.

2013′s Glenn Anderson. Can they trade Hemsky and get him?

We’ll even throw in our assistant coaches.

20. VanOil says:

In catching up with my LT from all sources (ON) reading this morning I came up with the following thought, after screwing my eye balls back in my head from the SJ gif. 2 years from now the Oilers could, based on early returns this season, field this as a 4th line:

Chase-Yakimov-Kharia

This would provide us with center depth at the NHL level, center size, enough grit and sandpaper to build the new arena and multi-tool skill that could bounce up the line up. Plus it would be affordable if cap growth projections fail to pan out. All likely rookies but given they are all trained centers the defensive responsibility should be above average.

Tonight the third line and Belov are what I am most excited about watching, if I can recover from the Gif and Roms Sheena Easton post earlier.

21. wheatnoil says:

dawgtoy:

It certainly would give Eakins options. Five minutes left in the game, pushing for a goal he could flip Yakupov over to the left and have Hall-Yakupov-Hemsky and RNH-Perron-Eberle play 4 of the 5 minutes, subbing in Gagner for Yakupov and Eberle as an extra centre on defensive zone draws and as the extra attacker with two minutes left.

Looking more and more like a MacT team.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I often get the Gunds of Cleveland mixed up with the Gunds of New Haven.

Which reminds me of a funny anecdote about the Savories of Peachside, Conn. meeting the Savories of Packinghurst, Del. on the Mid-Atlantic Steam Roger from The Cape Starland to Cape Sandwich. It seems one of the younger Dewbury tramps was showing about a young, coquettish Sturgeon (of the Pewterbutte Sturgeons), when he managed to accidentally make Tampinworth Savories (Packinghurst division) the acquaintance of Owfulfield Savories (Peachside). Needless to say, there was a lot of huffing and puffing about the price of steel, strawberries and soapworm.

Ghastly.

24. regwald says:

Oil Kings related, Guy Flaming tweeted earlier in the week that Oil Kings will have a tribute to Kristians Pelss this coming Friday – Sept. 27 game vs Medicine Hat.

The Oil Kings have a nice tribute sticker on their helmets. You can see a pic on their website or check out my twitter feed. I posted it this morning.

regwald:

Saw that, nice touch. I imagine the Barons will do similar.

26. regwald says:

Lowetide: Saw that, nice touch. I imagine the Barons will do similar.

Yes, I imagine so. Patricia says they will have a tribute on Opening night – Oct. 4th for them.

27. hoser313 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I agree. Can we honestly expect Eager/Acton/Brown to score more goals than Petrell/Belanger/Brown did last year?

I guess we’ll see tonight. In my view you need one of the Swedes on that line so there’s at least a remote chance of generating offense (and puck control).

28. prairieschooner says:

Belov and Grebs seems like sink hole on D
    Belov playing his first game with one of our least “stable” d men
    Talk about dropping Belov in the deep end!

Yes they both speak the same language but I am sure they could teach the other D men all the Russian they need to play with Grebs.
    What is the Russian for “For fucks sake”?

29. G Money says:

Thoughts on the game tonight?

Looks like the good guys are bringing firepower on the top lines, and bringing most of the bottom of the order for the 3/4 lines and defense, along with goalies #2 and #4.

Looks like the West Coast Rioting Divers (or is it the Diving Rioters) are bringing the middle of the order up front and defensively, and the #3 and #4 (I think) goalies.

Ability to keep the goal out of the net looks like it might be in short supply for each side relative to the other. Seems like an 8ish – 4ish Oilers outcome might be likely.

G Money: Thoughts on the game? Suck it Vancouver. Lose 20-0 and drive home.

31. Ribs says:

God that looks like Pouliot.

I still can’t believe they fired him over Skype.

32. spoiler says:

Can Grebs return to Europe, if things don’t work out here, with cap relief for the Oilers? IIRC Hartikainen is taking up the loaner slot. Can he be outright released? Does he have to retire for it to work?

33. OilClog says:

Trade Hemsky? Yea, let’s piss off Taylor Hall some more. If the Oilers are serious about moving Hall to the middle.. Not a chance Hemsky is moved, these two on the ice look like they’ve always been meant to play together, it’s beautiful music.

34. prairieschooner says:

Bohologo,

I believe a better Russian saying would be

“We hoped for the best but it turned out as usual”

35. speeds says:

BlacqueJacque:
    I don’t think they keep 8D.There are too many call-ups available that don’t have to go through waivers.Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom, and even Hunt are showing well.Somebody gets hurt?IR and call one of those kids up.We get 9 games of Nurse before he loses a year of his ELC, and correct me if I’m wrong, we can use those 9 games at any time.

If/Once Nurse is sent back to SSM, he’s not available for recall until SSM’s season is over, outside of an emergency recall situation.

36. wheatnoil says:

Bohologo: This is more like WTF? but чо за галима? will get the job done.But that’s very coarse, and you wouldn’t necessarily use it on a team mate in Russian.

Belov may be muttering some time honoured cliches on the bench, I am sure:

Бедa никогдa не приooдит однa. (Trouble never comes by itself.)

Без муки нет науки. (Without torture, no science [no learning without some adversity]).

And of course, because now he’s an Oiler:

Делать хорошую мину при плохой игре. (Put a good face on a bad game. [put on a brave face when things go south]).

How about this one: No family has no ugly member.

37. wheatnoil says:

Bohologo: Well, okay, but Russians may not have met my brother.

Hehe. If masterrussian.com is to be believed, the closest English equivalent is “Every family has its black sheep.”

Well folks, it’s Saturday night and you know what that means! My wife and I are drinking Stoneleigh (New Zealand) Pino Grigio. Very nice.

39. Scotty LaDouche says:

Did anyone catch the long pass from Mason Raymond to Phil Kessel (~16 min into the first) that took advantage of the hybrid icing rules?? Interdasting stuff

40. VanOil says:

Belgium Beer and later if needed a Scotish whiskey for me (Martens, GlenFiddich 15)

I figured out what looks odd about the early game. No board adverts in Buffalo, heck you don’t even see that in a small town rink in Canada.

The Leafs complete ignorance of puck possession brings me joy. They will not win a Cup in my life time the way they are going.

41. Andropod says:

Andropod: The best Pino Grigio I ever had was from Red Rooster winery between Penticton and Kelowna. Try it if you are ever there, it’s really nice!

I will! Trying to convince the family to hit the Okanogan next summer, haven’t been to Kelowna or Penticton since maybe 1970.

43. Andropod says:

44. hunter1909 says:

Just got my first look at Riley Nash. On a 5 on 3 Cane PP vs the lunchpail Habs. Offensively challenged. No wonder Lowe/MacT loved him.

Not a terrible player, from first look. I might have to ask one of the stats guys later for confirmation, lol.

Montreal hockey fans in for a long season. They’re like the 2001 Oilers, ffs.

I’m excited for the new season. Oilers I expect to come crashing out of the gate and win at least 1 playoff round.

45. steveb12344 says:

Andropod: Lowetide, Best group of wineries since we used to hop up to Napa Valley for the day from Sunnyvale.

Sunnyvale? What’s it like living on the hellmouth?

Also, have you ever been to that haunted toys r us store that was on that’s incredible? Yonny Yohnson?

46. Gerta Rauss says:

Bohologo
    And of course, because now he’s an Oiler:

I think the literal translation means “my shoulder surgery is scheduled for Thursday”

47. BlacqueJacque says:

Woo, got my tickets and my yak jersey today. Lower bowl here I come!

48. Gerta Rauss says:

I’ve got a day in Halifax tomorrow before flying out Monday AM…any suggestions for keeping myself occupied tomorrow??…things to do, sights to see?

49. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss:

Fairview Cemetery, where Titanic victims are buried.

It’s either that or the hotel bar. I’m a drunken traveller.

50. Andropod says:

We left there a while back,Never went to the haunted Toys r us, but we did do Winchester and a lot of beaches. One of the best was to go over the hill off 280 north down the 92 to half moon bay, there was a little shop there where they would boil a fresh lobster for you in a boiling cauldron outside the shop. Kids would play on Roosevelt beach while the sea lions watched from the surf.

We also went to Asilomar beach by Monterey quite a lot. Fry’s was my favourite shop and our most memorable outing was at Marine Word Africa USA when the elephant shot diarreah all over the close and personal audience. Gallons and gallons of shooting

But as you can guess the valley is no place for kids unless you earn a lot more than I did. So here we are.

51. Racki says:

I’m pretty excited for this one. 1) I am loving Hall at center, and can’t wait to see more and more of him there… very happy to hear he is liking it more than he thought he would, because he seems to be good at it. 2) First time seeing Belov.. excited as hell about this. I think we all have to remember though that he’ll have some cobwebs on him, with the whole Visa issues… so don’t expect an amazing first game.

52. VanOil says:

hunter1909:
    It’s either that or the hotel bar. I’m a drunken traveller.

The Lowerdeck because I am a very drunken traveler

I don’t care if it’s pre-season. 15-0 is fine by me. KILL!

54. skshred says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’ve been reading this lovely blog for three years and just created an account tonight to tell you I laughed at your anecdote. Friggin soapworm.

Also, Oilers.

55. VanOil says:

I don’t care if it’s pre-season. 15-0 is fine by me. KILL!

Is that whiskey or wine your drinking? Seems to be a bit of piss in that vinegar. Oh well I will join in! 15-0 with a Yakupovian double hat trick. KILL!

56. Bulging Twine says:

Huge day in the life of Will A. and Denis G.

57. gr8one says:

I’m seriously annoyed that NHL Gamecenter isn’t streaming these games.

58. Bos8 says:

gr8one,

First row sports.eu

59. oilinthepeg says:

PAUL RANGER!

60. Scotty LaDouche says:

This is turrible.

I’m astounded at how bad this is.

62. Scotty LaDouche says:

My psychic prediction- the next guy doesn’t score.

63. Scotty LaDouche says:

I hope Randy Carlyle is smiling because he doesn’t know how to act embarrassed.

64. VanOil says:

Such well played hockey, it is a shame some one has to win.

What happened to Rick Ball? We get Mark Lee? Come ON!

66. Racki says:

Jay McClement will start every Toronto shootout from here on out.

67. oilinthepeg says:

15-1!
    KILL!

68. VanOil says:

15-1?

Grebeshkov left too much space there. Very bad.

70. Lucinius says:

Grebeshkov left too much space there. Very bad.

It also doesn’t go in with the old pad sizes. Bad goal, but one you kind of expect in preseason.

71. Racki says:

Yikes, post from point blank range, in blue paint

72. VanOil says:

Love how the commentator can not speak as fast a Ebs hands

73. Lucinius says:

First bad call! Should have counted, quick whistle.

74. striatic says:

Belov needs to learn that players block shots from the point in the NHL.

75. Racki says:

Wow, Khaira is huge. I’m not sure if he is “Penner huge” or NHL huge, but he’s huge.

76. Lucinius says:

And again..

77. VanOil says:

Whistle happy much?

78. striatic says:

hell of a pass from Belov.

79. OilClog says:

Pretty sure Belov is on the team

80. OilClog says:

How is that not 5 and a game.. Intent all over that elbow

Great pass from Belov to Methuselah and then Hall takes over. Sweet Jesus this is fun!

82. Racki says:

If there is any reason for having Mike Brown on the team, it’s now, after that elbow to Hall’s head

83. Lucinius says:

Belov looking good early.

Refs still suck.

Canuck with a dirty elbow.

Interesting start.

84. VanOil says:

As this is pre-season. Sit Hall now. Play that 4th line. If your not willing to do it now why have them at all.

85. doritogrande says:

GF out at a stagette so I get to watch some preseason hockey.

We’re going to pass this puck into the net, yes?

86. SK Oiler Fan says:

well Brown can now book his spot on the team by destroying Weiss. dangerous player, hits to hurt. Would be fine if someone ended his career before he ends someone else’s career

87. Lucinius says:

Some real poor passing from Perron on this powerplay.

Very poor 5 on 3. That’s just horrible. Oilers should feel shame.

89. Racki says:

Round 1, Brown vs. Weiss.. not much there.

90. OilClog says:

I will never get tired of watching Hemsky with the puck, Mr. Smooth

91. striatic says:

thoughts on Belov so far.

needs to be more patient on his point shots. he put two shots into shin pads at the blue line, and was lucky the puck bounced the right way and didn’t generate an odd man rush.

excellent play joining the rush and timing his red line pass to keep Smyth onside.

he clearly has wheels and can make a pass. just no more shots into shin pads and i think he’ll be fine.

92. doritogrande says:

Brown doing his job to earn that 13F spot. Even though he got smoked.

93. Scotty LaDouche says:

GULP

94. Lucinius says:

Nurse hurt.

THANKS SMYTH.

95. doritogrande says:

Aw fuck, you could see the agony on Nurse on the wall there.

Nurse is hurt. That’s a bad, bad moment folks.

97. VanOil says:

Nurse out for the season with a shoulder injury

98. OilClog says:

Omfg no

99. Racki says:

Oh christ… these Canucks bastards are playing for keeps. Nurse looks like he’s.. nursing an injury. All joking aside, he looks like he hurt his shoulder or something. Not good in a bloody pre-season.

Smyth made an insanely poor pass and Nurse is gone. GONE. Fuck.

101. doritogrande says:

VanOil:
    Nurse out for the season with a shoulder injury

How bout that, it skipped YakCity.

102. Bulging Twine says:

oh oh -Nurse

103. striatic says:

Lucinius:
    Nurse hurt.

THANKS SMYTH.

Smyth was put into that position by Petry’s flub on the blue line …

shoulder injury? kid is already an Oiler.

104. Lucinius says:

Hit on Nurse wasn’t actually bad at all; looks like he jammed the shoulder out of the socket from the angle.

105. Scotty LaDouche says:

So Nurse is officially an Oiler now?

106. SK Oiler Fan says:

didn’t this happen last preseason in edmonton? van’s minor leaguers run around cheap shotting while not really caring about the outcome.

107. VanOil says:

Sometimes I forget how good a fit Hemsky is at playing hockey.

108. LMHF#1 says:

I see Brown has been studying the Buchberger school of Oilers fighting. Great.

109. VanOil says:

doritogrande: How bout that, it skipped YakCity.

Yeah!

110. striatic says:

Brown’s fight was Stortiniesque.

111. striatic says:

what the hell was Grebeshkov thinking there?

backhand pass into multiple Canucks on the PP.

112. OilClog says:

I dress Eager over Hamilton, neither can play with the puck, Eager has been finishing his hits though.. This game may get real ugly.. If it isn’t already

113. doritogrande says:

Garbagekov. PP walk-the-line fail.

114. Racki says:

Hall at rage factor 8.5…

115. VanOil says:

Gerbs makes Yaks look defensively responsible on the point

116. Racki says:

Beauuuttyyyy goal.. nice pass by Perron.

117. Lucinius says:

Perron finally makes a pass!

118. striatic says:

Yakupov holds the blue line better than Grebeshkov.

Gagner (Perron, Eberle) 1-1

120. doritogrande says:

Eberle is a sublime hockey player. He sees different options than anyone else on this team.

121. striatic says:

Gagner (Perron, Eberle) 1-1

Yakupov really deserves an assist on that one too.

122. VanOil says:

Gagner, given his likely wingers, is probably a good fantasy hockey pick.

123. Lucinius says:

This would be the perfect game to play that crazy ass Russian from last year’s preseason team.

124. Racki says:

The french connection line… Gagner, Perron, Eberlé ……..

*Crickets*

125. Scotty LaDouche says:

So Nurse took another shift…….. good sign?

126. YoungOil says:

striatic:
    Yakupov holds the blue line better than Grebeshkov.

Very true, indeed.

127. striatic says:

Scotty LaDouche:
    So Nurse took another shift…….. good sign?

could be a bad sign is it puts his shoulder at risk for re-injury.

Oilers trainers have a rep for that sort of thing at this point.

128. OilClog says:

Eberle could get a point every other goal the Oilers score from here on out.. Seems he’ll never live up to his contract though.. Impossible.

129. Gret99zky says:

Just getting some knitting needles ready so I can gouge out my eyes when I see Ryan Fucking Smyth on the first line.

What the hell is he doing there????

Jesus Christ.

130. Lucinius says:

On the horrendous Grebs turn-over; it isn’t entirely his fault — he had no where to pass that puck safely.

Which, of course, does not excuse him then making the worst decision possible.

131. gr8one says:

Watching Brad Hunt made me think of another small defensive prospect…where’s Joey LaLeggia been this training camp?

132. VanOil says:

If Fedun is paired with Grebs and keeps him +/- even for the rest of the game he should get a job in the bigs

133. YoungOil says:

Some very clear chemistry issues with Perron and others. Hope it changes as they play together more.

134. Reg Dunlop says:

I thought that the lack of gristle in the oil line-up would be exposed when we hit the play-offs. It seems that it is happening early. Better sit the little ones, no need to sustain a few concussions in pre-season.

135. striatic says:

Perron is flat out a better hockey player than PRV and it isn’t close. crazy hand-eye coordination, and i haven’t seen him make a serious defensive mis-step either.

136. gr8one says:

Racki:
    The french connection line… Gagner, Perron, Eberlé ……..

*Crickets*

lol

137. striatic says:

Lucinius:

Which, of course, does not excuse him then making the worst decision possible.

at worst he could have flipped the puck down the wall, into the corner.

138. pboy says:

Grebs isn’t going to see any NHL action this season or probably ever again. He’s been terrible in every game so far.

Perron is going to be a beauty here though.

139. Lucinius says:

striatic,

Really? Perron has flubbed around seven passes already this game (several of them direct turn-overs). He is better than Paajarvi, but this isn’t the game to make that claim, at least so far.

Even his pass to Gagner for the goal wasn’t great — it was right on the ice and if the Canuck defender hadn’t moved his stick like an idiot he blocks that pass easily.

And god damn. Perron is slow as shit compared to Paajarvi — I knew he’d be slower, but the degree is shocking.

140. Scotty LaDouche says:

Nurse looks ok so far. *crosses fingers and rubs rabbit foot*

141. pboy says:

Belov has been impressive so far.

142. doritogrande says:

gr8one:

Chasing Co-eds? Unless they’ve changed something all NCAA prospects aren’t welcome at training camp due to eligibility issues.

143. striatic says:

Lucinius: Really? Perron has flubbed around seven passes already this game (several of them direct turn-overs).

i think that flubbed passes are not a big deal so long as they are in safe areas.

at some point you need to try some higher risk, higher reward passes in order to break through tight defensive systems and Perron’s flubs are in good areas.

144. gr8one says:

doritogrande,

Ahh, I didn’t realize that.

145. Gret99zky says:

Nurse is a beauty. Grebs, not so much.

146. Reg Dunlop says:

When Nurse grows up he is going to be the real deal but maybe he shouldn’t be exposed to angry men at his age. Next year plus 15 lbs, sure, but not now.

Eberle 5 points in 2.1 games. Nice. Early, means nothing. Still, he’s a mid to late first round pick. Lovely.

Grebeshkov is shit.

149. hunter1909 says:

Nucks gooning it up.

Oilers getting bullied.

Rest of NHL taking note.

150. Gret99zky says:

Is Nurse better than Seth Jones?

151. Racki says:

Reg Dunlop:

I agree.. he looks like a twig right now out there… very fragile. But you know he’ll bulk up and be a beast in a few years.

152. Lucinius says:

striatic,

We’re going to have to agree to disagree, as a couple of his flubbs were turn-overs of the bad sort. Perron is a good player (and a better player than Paajarvi is right now), but in that first period he didn’t look it, imo.

153. Oilanderp says:

Lack playing extremely well.

154. James says:

For all the talk about Brown’s fight being pathetic, his dancing partner did have to leave the game. Could have been unrelated, could have gotten in a few before berger-ing to the ground.

155. striatic says:

Oilanderp:
    Lack playing extremely well.

he also played extremely well against the Sharks.

156. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Just got back from a house warming.

missed the first. Is Belov any good?

Did that Rogers commercial just rip off Funkadelic?

It sure as hell fucking did… fuck that. great song. just leave it alone.

157. striatic says:

i think the consensus is that Belov is good, and Greshkov is shit.

158. VanOil says:

One of the great things about Nurses potential is that it might make management hold fire on a bold and reckless trade for CFP 2.0. We have the 6′s and 7′s on defense the Kings are on the way.

159. Oilanderp says:

James,

Yeah you’ll never see me saying anything bad about a guy who just dropped the gloves. Especially to their face.

160. Henry says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Belov took a -1 on his first NHL shift thanks to brainfart by his partner. Sent Smitty on a breakaway on second shift.

I liked Belov’s period. If he beats up Kassian or Alberts or Wiess (if he comes back), he is probably the ideal 6th guy.

161. Racki says:

James:

Outside of that, Brown made the attempt to send the message. Did it work? I don’t think it did, although Weiss is out of the game as you noted. Fights don’t always go the way you want them. We don’t always get to see a beatdown of Dave Brown or Steve MacIntyre proportions. The important part is the team didn’t just let him get away with it, like we’d seen with past Oilers teams (right Ales?).

I’d like to see the Oilers pushing the kind of game the Canucks started doing, rather than reacting to it though. Mike Brown can make a name for himself by catching the Canucks players with their heads down, perhaps.

162. bill needle says:

People need to remember that Grebeshkov wasn’t exactly the second coming of Fetisov the first time he played with the Oilers.

163. Oilanderp says:

Damn that hit on Ebs was after the whistle

164. Reg Dunlop says:

What’s Katz doing at Rexall? Oh, that’s right, Vancouver is in town. He probably flew in with them.

165. Oilanderp says:

Nurse trips up in his own skatelaces and gets an interference penalty haha

166. doritogrande says:

Hall-Hemsky on the PK. I like the idea, even though you know we don’t have our PKers but definitely worth a shot.

167. Lucinius says:

Hall and Hemsky on the pk! I like!

168. VanOil says:

I like our PK units just fine

169. striatic says:

that’s what happens when skill players PK?

170. Racki says:

What a terrible powerplay…and whats this about Perron sucking? ;)

171. SK Oiler Fan says:

nice jump up by fedun! he might be the first d call up

Perron (R Hamilton, Fedun)

173. Oilanderp says:

Did I see Hall on with Brown? muhahahhaaha

174. Racki says:

Labarbera trying his best to reassure us that Dubnyk is a #1 goaltender.

175. striatic says:

Yakupov is so damned fast.

176. Racki says:

Nifty play by Ryan Hamilton there, but a little too nifty.

177. Lucinius says:

Nice sequence there.

Hamilton had to put that on net instead of trying to pass it off. First time I’ve seen him do something noteworthy in a positive way.

178. Henry says:

Even if just for a few minutes, I’d like to see Yak with Hall and Hemsky.

179. Oilanderp says:

Hamilton almost sealed his spot with a power move to the front of the net. Damn Brown is playing great, driving the net and drawing a penalty!

180. pboy says:

That was a nifty touch pass by YakCity to Grebs

181. YoungOil says:

Brown making plays with the puck and drawing penalties? What kind of universe are we in???

182. doritogrande says:

Brown trying to channel his inner Darren McCarty with the dangle. If he can draw penalties like that he’s worth his spot even if he loses every fight. Belov with a great distribution to spring Brown for that, he seems capable of making the right play.

WG mentioned this on twitter, but Ryan Jones is getting left behind here a little.

184. VanOil says:

Yakupov, beyond his well known flash and dash, looks like he might have that push the river all by himself ability.

185. Racki says:

I don’t blame Alberts for taking the penalty there.. ~all you can do is hope to contain Mike Brown..~

186. Lucinius says:

Hall does need to work on some of his powerplay passing decisions, though…

187. doritogrande says:

Racki:
    Labarbera trying his best to reassure us that Dubnyk is a #1 goaltender.

Was also going to comment on him. He makes me Conklin-type nervous.

188. doritogrande says:

Notice they’re not using Belov on the PP. What’s that going to do to you RE on him LT?

189. striatic says:

VanOil: Much like having Brown means we no longer have to waste picks trying to find another facepuncher

Brown is having a pretty good game, he’s like a low risk way for the Oilers to placate those who think the Oilers need an enforcer, but he does some good things too.

i do think that your 13F should probably have a bit more skill than a guy like Brown, but he is so much better than Hordichuk and MacIntyre that you have to like the guy for the change in philosophy he represents.

190. Racki says:

Getting in front of a Yakupov shot is like jumping in front of a bullet headed for the president.

Godf have mercy Yakupov just killed a guy

192. doritogrande says:

Yak’s shot is scary.

193. Scotty LaDouche says:

Blocking a Yakupov shot is really asking for it.

194. Lucinius says:

Canucks hurt Oilers by being dirty.

Oilers hurt Canucks by letting Yak go BOOM!

195. striatic says:

Yakupov has his very own way of getting back and the Canucks for gooning it up. ouch.

Newer Comments »