PS G6 OILERS V JETS

Linus Omark was drafted in 2007 summer, but didn’t come across the pond until 2010 fall. That season, Edmonton welcomed Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi to pro hockey and so Omark’s impact was made far less than it might have been in 2008 or 2009. It began a long period of “bad timing” for Omark that continues to this day.

Omark arrived in this training camp with a new contract, good things to say and singing Kumbaya, but the results haven’t been there yet. Tonight he has a chance–it might be his final chance–to show management he’s earned the opportunity. He’s also showcasing for employment elsewhere in the NHL, and with the Oilers adding Steve MacIntrye via waivers today that’s one less spot open for a winger.

brasil

LIKELY DEPTH CHART TODAY (WINGERS)

1. Jordan Eberle
  2. David Perron
  3. Nail Yakupov
  4. Ales Hemsky
  5. Ryan Smyth
  6. Jesse Joensuu
  7. Ryan Hamilton
  8. Ben Eager
  9. Steve MacIntyre
  10. Linus Omark
  11. Ryan Jones
  12. Mike Brown
  13. Tyler Pitlick
  14. Curtis Hamilton

My guess is the Oilers keep 2G, 7D, 5C and 9 wingers–meaning Omark is still in this race but outside the cut line. I have the “certain” W’s (7 in total) underlined, I think there are 2 jobs available and that Jones, MacIntyre, Eager, Omark and Brown all have a chance. The one thing that has changed: Ryan Jones may have played his way off the roster (although the race isn’t over yet).

STARTING LINEUP

• L1: Hall-Smyth-Hemsky
  • L2: Gordon-Omark-Yakupov
  • L3: Lander-Jones-R Hamilton
  • L4: Arcobello-Joensuu-Pitlick
  • D1: Ference-J Schultz
  • D2: Smid-N Schultz
  • D3: Belov-Larsen
  • G1: Devan Dubnyk
  • G2: Jason LaBarbera

Players underlined need to have good performances tonight, I think Omark needs to be the best LW on the ice (not an impossible task). Ryan Jones is behind compared to where he entered this fall, I suspect he’ll have a good night tonight. Arcobello received kind words from the management today, I think they add a center this week from outside the organization.

brazil

THE ENFORCER

I’ve been driving around this afternoon trying to think of something clever to say about the Steve MacIntyre but nothing rhymed. I’m not going to ramble on about the move, but will say that it doesn’t jive with the stated possession verbal of the early and mid-summer. It’s a reaction, and I would dearly love to know if they had an actual player on their list and if they will pursue another option.

I don’t see the enforcer role on this Oilers team being a large role. By the way, word on the street is Zack Kassian got 5 regular season games as a suspension for the Gagner injury, that’s about 4 more than I felt he’d get for it. I think the Oilers adding Steve MacIntyre is a bigger item than the length of the Kassian suspension.

brazil1

FINAL THOUGHT

Well, we’re through MacT’s first summer now, and I think he did well. I like the draft very much, and the additions of Boyd Gordon, Andrew Ference, David Perron, Jason LaBarbera and Jesse Joensuu. If I can pause one more moment, I’d like to say it could have been perfect if he’d:

• Signed Grabovski
  • Shot whoever talked him into MacIntyre.

Fin.

356 Responses to "PS G6 OILERS V JETS"

Newer Comments »
  1. hunter1909 says:

Omark finally gets his big chance:

Rosemary’s Baby style, with the Gagner situation.

2. BlacqueJacque says:

Awww come on, LT, you gotta let us know what you thought of MacT wanting to pay Clarkson more than what he’d gotten in Toronto, or wanting to give up a lot more than what the Devils did for a marginal upgrade on Dubnyk.

Grabo was never coming here, he doesn’t like 3rd line minutes, just like Gagner if Hall ever permanently moves to centre.

if I can’t make you write centres in the right position when listing lineups, I am going to keep hounding you over your inexplicable love of MacT. :)

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Man, oh man.

One of those “panic-free vacations” looks pretty good for an Oiler fan right about now.

——–
    “My guess is the Oilers keep 2G, 7D, 5C and 9 wingers”

I think we can add two names (assuming they break with 14 forwards), because at least two will be on the IR (RNH and Gags). Or, have I misunderstood how that works?

——–
    I’m reminded of LT being delighted Brown was on the team, because — so the assumption went — having him and assuming the team was comfortable with him, meant that they would stop chasing phantoms.

Well, that didn’t work. And Stauffer was saying we might just see all 3 of Eager, Brown and SMac on the team. That’s not very compelling evidence of this puck possession, have to be size and skill, have to be a threat to score, etc. new mentality.

I think it shows new ideas, new routines, etc. are hard to entrench and hard to live by when you feel your life or job is on the line. MacT flinched and reverted to the old ways.

The blue print was there last year:

C depth dies.
    Tambo tries to pick up Volpatti and signs Brown, ignores Hall and Jussi J.

It’s all right there.

The hope is, because time moves on and lessons, though slowly adopted, do begin to take hold, is that MacT will pivot and each time he falls off the new routine gets back on with more determination to stick the landing.

I very much hope that. That and that we soon see Smac, Brown, Jones and Eager on the waiver wire and find something better.

Rom: I think all the centers make it now. Hall, Gordon, Arco, Lander, Acton. they’re all in.

5. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You’re about 1000% better when you’re satirizing.

6. VanOil says:

Of interest to me tonight, in order of importance how I think they will effect the season:

Is Yaks, by eye and Corsi (+10 last game) evolving from sniper to riverman on the Styx?

Is Belov for real?

Is Fedun quietly building the case that he can be the calm footed replacement that makes N.Schultz expendable at the deadline?

Is Eakin swarming system noticeably better than what ever the hell Kruger was doing?

None of the 3 aspiring centers inspire me, so which one emerges matters little to me.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ah… I see what you did there.

I counted RNH and Gags in the “5 Cs” (with Hall, Gordon and take your pick).

Any way, welcome to the show hangers on!

May CVDV and O’Marra rue the day fate didn’t present them with this depth chart to open a season!
    (that’s for you Hunter)

8. VanOil says:

Eakins was being a smart ass about JSchultz playing center. Why not try Grebs, he is big, can skate and way prefers to be in the offensive zone. He would cause me less stress watching him play that way.

9. BlacqueJacque says:

VanOil:

In 10 years, I’m pretty sure people will think the Yak jersey was a steal. :)

10. Cobbler says:

So MacIntyre has played in in 91 NHL games, is only a -6. He has scored 2 goals on 15 shots.

Clearly this guy needs to shoot more…..shit ya never know.

He doesn’t exactly scream defensive liability to me with that -6. Any Corsi data around on him? Couldn’t find him at hockey prospectus.

I don’t mind seeing him back. See how he gets deployed, but this in no way makes up for the current lack of C depth.

If and its a big if, Boyd Gordon has some scoring/playmaking ability then maybe this won’t be so bad.

11. BlacqueJacque says:

Cobbler,

MacIntyre faces off against opposition 4th lines. For 3-4 minutes a night. The only reason he hasn’t given up more goals is because he gets off the ice the moment skill comes on it. Don’t think of it as -6 in 91 games, think of it as -6 in 360 minutes.

12. Cobbler says:

Yes that is probably the best way to look at it. Found his Corsi numbers at behind the net and the -6 is flattering. And yes TOI between 3 and 4.

13. rich says:

LT,

I hope they add a C this week.

Maybe we’ll finally (!!!) see that 3:1 you’ve been promising.

The time is now MacT – seize the moment.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT, why change the Omark pic?

——–
    Went to NHL.com to check out Shanahan’s vids, found this in the “headlines” section:

“Kassian suspended five games | Weise banned”

I think that’s going to get re-written. I was quite hopeful at first though.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    LT, why change the Omark pic?

——–

“Kassian suspended five games | Weise banned”

I think that’s going to get re-written. I was quite hopeful at first though.

The first two stretched.

16. striatic says:

agreed. it has to be this way.

if Gagner was injured earlier in TC, maybe you play Lander and Acton more and maybe use that information to make a decision, but the way it is right now Eakins will have to extend the evaluation into the regular season. he needs every bullet he can get.

17. Racki says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Cobbler,

MacIntyre faces off against opposition 4th lines. For 3-4 minutes a night.The only reason he hasn’t given up more goals is because he gets off the ice the moment skill comes on it.Don’t think of it as -6 in 91 games, think of it as -6 in 360 minutes.

I personally think the Oilers 4th lines have been ineffective for years, so I’d rather see Hall or Eberle or Yak double shift with the minutes left over that Mac won’t be using than employ someone there who doesn’t do anything other than stall for the rest of the team to rest (at best) anyways.

I don’t foresee MacIntyre making too big of a positive impact either, granted, but I don’t think there’s really any negative effect to having him around either.

18. RMGS says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Weise banned”
    I think that’s going to get re-written. I was quite hopeful at first though.

I imagine the following’s already been suggested given all the lawyers hanging out here, but the only way the NHL will seriously address head shots (with or without intent to injure) is in response to a class action lawsuit filed by retired players suffering from NHL-sanctioned brain damage. If the NFL can be made to cry uncle…

19. gvblackhawk says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Rom did you get tired of arguing with the mouth breathers over at ON? It’s like banging your head against the wall with some of those people.

“You just don’t get it Mr. Know-it-all”.

20. BlacqueJacque says:

Racki,

Really?

So it doesn’t matter if Mac is on the bench when Kassian destroys Gagner’s jaw? Or if he’s in the pressbox? And let’s say Eakins uses the advantage – only available at home – of last ice change to force Mac on the ice with Kassian. What does Kassian do? Does he engage MacIntyre and pray he doesn’t end up like Ivanans, or does he bail like Kessel did? Is Eakins going to take an instigator penalty in game 67 of the season with the Oilers 3 points out of the playoffs?

Look, I’m not anti-goon. Part of me hopes, wishes, and even prays that NHLers are smarter than Don Cherry and can come up with an actual reason as to how Steve MacIntyre acts as a deterrent. But most of me looks at the evidence, all the way back to Pat Quinn’s season as coach (where we iced a TOUGH team – Mac, Zack, Jacques, Moreau, Peckham, Souray – and ended up last in the league. Hemsky and Nilsson got injured in injuries that fights are supposed to prevent, and Souray actually got injured IN a fight.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gvblackhawk:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Rom did you get tired of arguing with the mouth breathers over at ON?It’s like banging your head against the wall with some of those people.

“You just don’t get it Mr. Know-it-all”.

You want to say yes… because it is tedious and you want to breed smarter fans… but some part of you enjoys it, like when you pull the trigger and tackle some D.S.F. nonsense.

It really is amazing though how little modesty there is in some fan’s expectations of what SMac (and his ilk) can accomplish.

22. Hammers says:

Racki: I don’t think it matters how many minutes he played, in the grand scheme of things. It’s all about the impact (or negative impact) in a game/season. It looks on the surface that the Oilers aren’t being burned by having him in the lineup.

23. Kitchener says:

Hemsky’s quick interview is all you need to know about why players like a MacIntyre in their lineup: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=446730&catid=4

In sum:
    – opponent makes crushing clean hits = no need for Enforcer
    – opponent makes dirty hits = thank goodness SMAC’s back

24. striatic says:

BlacqueJacque: r if he’s in the pressbox? And let’s say Eakins uses the advantage – only available at home – of last ice change to force Mac on the ice with Kassian. What does Kassian do? Does he engage MacIntyre and pray he doesn’t end up like Ivanans, or does he bail like Kessel did?

Pure Enforcers need to be able to hit. they need to have the speed to hit guys, and the weight to do damage without dropping the gloves.

they don’t need to pass, they don’t need to shoot, but they need the speed to catch guys on the forecheck.

i guess i’m not convinced MacIntyre is that guy, despite MacT praising his hitting ability in the presser.

we will see. if he can catch guys and hit, then it is a better waiver claim than if all he can do is punch faces.

25. "Steve Smith" says:

26. Hammers says:

Hammers: Agree with most of what you said but one thing to remember . There are at least 5-6 players liking the idea of Smack being back . The guy knows his job and place but most important the players like him . I tend to agree with LT on keeping all of Acton , Lander & Arcobello . That would keep some game to game competition for playing time . That may mean Jones , Brown are gone .Acton gets Hamilton & Smack . Omark stays with Gordon/Yak , Hall Hemsky Smyth , and Perron /Ebs/ Arcobello . Lander & Eager extras . Don’t get to keep Brown unless Lander or Acton go down /. Just guessing of coarse.

Forgot Joensuu so maybe Omark goes as well or Eager . Tonight tells all . Gotta stop drinking before the game . Ha Ha

Kitchener:
    Hemsky’s quick interview is all you need to know about why players like a MacIntyre in their lineup:http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=446730&catid=4

In sum:– opponent makes crushing clean hits = no need for Enforcer– opponent makes dirty hits = thank goodness SMAC’s back

Good find, thanks.

28. delooper says:

Kitchener:

That’s a really nice interview. I wish more journalists asked interesting questions like that rather than repeating the same formulaic nonsense you hear in most interviews. The end result is Hemsky had something to say!

29. BlacqueJacque says:

striatic,

Here’s the problem, to me:

I’m not looking at guys as “pure enforcers” or “power forwards” like they’re pre-determined points.

I see it as a line. A balance between speed and strength.

The best, toughest fighters are heavy and slow and strong, because they have to be to he the best fighters. If an enforcer (let’s say Enforcer #1) is fast enough to hit, he’s probably going to give up weight and strength to an even bigger enforcer (Enforcer #2) who isn’t fast enough to hit most players – but is fast enough to hit and catch Enforcer #1. Enforcer #1, being the biggest guy on his team, is also obligated to fight Enforcer #2 and lose a la Ivanans.

There are rare – very, very rare – combinations of size, speed, and skill like Lucic who are fast and strong enough to intimidate average and star players while remaining fast enough to avoid the MacIntyres (and skilled enough to avoid the pressure of having to fight MacIntyres.)

New lines! No Hall!

forward lines vs. WPG:
    Omark-Gordon-Yakupov
    Joensuu-Arcobello-Pitlick
    Jones-Lander-Hamilton
    Eager-Acton-Brown

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque: Does he engage MacIntyre and pray he doesn’t end up like Ivanans, or does he bail like Kessel did?

I’ve read this elsewhere… I wonder how founded it is.

That would certainly ruin MacT’s plans.

Ference-Belov, Smid-Larsen, NSchultz-Fedun. Dubnyk starts between the pipes

33. steveb12344 says:

Lowetide: New lines! No Hall!forward lines vs. WPG:Omark-Gordon-YakupovJoensuu-Arcobello-PitlickJones-Lander-HamiltonEager-Acton-Brown

Wow, that’s an interesting lineup. I’d guess it’s shit or get off the pot time for most of these guys. Should be lots of compete.

34. BlacqueJacque says:

What is it with Yakupov playing almost every single game of the meaningless season?

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

New lines! No Hall!

forward lines vs. WPG:
    Omark-Gordon-Yakupov
    Joensuu-Arcobello-Pitlick
    Jones-Lander-Hamilton
    Eager-Acton-Brown

So many new Centers! Can’t wait to see how Omark does :)

36. steveb12344 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’ve read this elsewhere… I wonder how founded it is.I would fully expect Kassian (because he doesn’t know much better) to fight. I could see a lighter weight goon (Brown or Hordi) opting out, or a pest, but I don’t think Kassian would. He’s a big boy too (granted not as big)… who knows he might just catch a lucky break and land a punch like he did with Eager…That would certainly ruin MacT’s plans.

You probably shouldn’t put too much stock into DSF’s comments…

37. BlacqueJacque says:

Ference-Belov, Smid-Larsen, NSchultz-Fedun. Dubnyk starts between the pipes

Wow, those are great “show me” pairings for all three tweeners.

38. delooper says:

Romulus Apotheosis: So many new Centers! Can’t wait to see how Omark does

A Lowetide preseason injury.

39. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You really think Zack Kassian would fight Steve MacIntyre? I don’t. In fact, Kassian himself said he won’t with something like a “MacIntyre? That’s OK, he can’t skate” comment somewhere (I paraphrased it, of course.)

That’s why I was floating the idea, in the earlier thread, of having Brown pin Kassian and having MacIntyre step on the ice and break him for the rest of the season.

40. Ribs says:

Hemsky saying Regehr’s hits on him weren’t dirty? I think maybe he’s suffered one too many “Steve Smith’s”.

41. delooper says:

Ribs:

Well, Hemsky’s a much bigger man than Regehr is, regardless.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

You really think Zack Kassian would fight Steve MacIntyre?I don’t.In fact, Kassian himself said he won’t with something like a “MacIntyre?That’s OK, he can’t skate” comment somewhere (I paraphrased it, of course.)

Yea. probably.

I think his comment was more along the lines of: “if they ice a guy that can’t skate, we win” not “I’ll be running”

43. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”: When’s the last time you heard a player say about a new addition, “I don’t really expect him to add anything”?

The St Louis Blues say hello.

44. striatic says:

BlacqueJacque: The best, toughest fighters are heavy and slow and strong, because they have to be to he the best fighters. If an enforcer (let’s say Enforcer #1) is fast enough to hit, he’s probably going to give up weight and strength to an even bigger enforcer (Enforcer #2) who isn’t fast enough to hit most players

MacIntyre has been fast enough to hit .. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GNZ3C560rrs#t=19 .. but i’m not sure if he still has that speed or if he needs a D to be completely oblivious in order to pull off that kind of thing.

basically, he played so little i don’t remember, and all the clips of him playing represent selection bias.

45. Lucinius says:

Man.. feel bad for Smid. He has Chaos paired with him tonight. Larsen has some good things, and so far looks better than Grebs, but there’s still a ton of chaos to his game.

Those forward lines should lead to some interesting things. Hope they alternate the centers a bit throughout the game to see how each does with the better/worse wingers.

46. BlacqueJacque says:

striatic,

something-something blind squirrel something-something nut.

If MacIntyre could deliver that even every fifth shift, he’d be a 12-minute per night player.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

IIRC when Griffey got traded for Cameron and some twerbs, I remember some Mariners saying things along the lines of: “that’s all we got… no disrespect to those guys, but they’re no Griffey”

Of course, a trade is different than a FA/waiver pick up, where a player isn’t going the other way.

48. striatic says:

Lowetide: No Hall

excellent!

my wife and i are flying in from Seattle for a wedding and going to the Rangers game tomorrow. seems likely we’ll get to see Hall, Eberle and Hemsky. probably not Yakupov though, but that’s pre-season for you.

49. delooper says:

Oilers starting with the Brute Squad.

50. delooper says:

Eeek. I hope that’s not the new regular anthem singer.

51. BlacqueJacque says:

delooper,

Definitely not.

Remember last season’s home opener, that chick with the pink hair or whatever?

I was throwing beer across the room in an attempt to find the remote and mute.

52. delooper says:

Is Winnipeg icing a similarly-stocked team-of-hopefuls? YEG is doing alright so far.

Awful icing by Jones.

Cut him.

Also,

Anyone else getting a choppy feed?

54. delooper says:

Feed is super-smooth here in Victoria.

55. BlacqueJacque says:

Somebody needs to explain to the Oilers that the only player with a number in the 60s I want to see is Yakupov, and the only player with a number in the 40s should be Dubnyk.

I’m not sure what I’m watching right now, but it isn’t NHL hockey.

Feed’s fine. Oilers look out of sync. Nice PP finishing up here, no goal though. Great chance for Fedun on a three-way passing play./

57. delooper says:

Nice pass from the JoeJoe guy.

58. theres oil in virginia says:

Apparently Alberta annexed Virginia. I’m getting the feed from oilers.com.

Looks like AHL hockey to me.

59. jake70 says:

BlacqueJacque:

He’s being showcased. ;)

60. thejonrmcleod says:

Is the game video available anywhere besides oilers.nhl.com and TSN-Jets (neither of which are available to me here in Halifax)?

61. Southern Oil says:

theres oil in virginia:
    Apparently Alberta annexed Virginia.I’m getting the feed from oilers.com.

Looks like AHL hockey to me.

Well they must have taken over Georgia as well – not that I am complaining.

Seeing:

Larsen aggressive and ok, poor decision leading to odd man break.

Lowery (WIN) good. Heavy, aggressive forecheck. Son of Dave Lowry who I thinks lives in CAL and works for the Flames.

Eager – making a good back check

Fedun – needs to hit a onetimer insteading stopping the cross seam pass

Arcobello – Good PP skill, nothing to note 5v5

63. kooler says:

Larsen has wheels….move him up for a shift or two?

64. delooper says:

jake70: He’s being showcased.

Yakupov is a major keener. He probably asked to play all the games.

65. rich says:

The feed on the Oilers website is annoying.

66. "Steve Smith" says:

delooper,

As many of them as possible with Horcoff.

67. speeds says:

In case anyone is unaware, the Oilers/Jets game is on Shaw’s free Centre Ice preview!

68. DeadmanWaking says:

I suspect picking up SMac was nothing more than yipping at the league for tolerating thugs without getting fined. I hope he’s just a mirage now that the message was sent. Actions speak louder than words, especially when you’re not allowed to lob any choice cuts at the powers that be.

69. jake70 says:

thejonrmcleod:

Up the road here in Moncton, getting the feed with no problem…internet provider issue?

70. thejonrmcleod says:

Andropod,

Thanks…what backdoor?

71. delooper says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Andropod,

Thanks…what backdoor?

The one he linked to. … er, I guess I should use it there. Andropod sounds fairly androgenous.

72. thejonrmcleod says:

jake70,

OK. There was a message above the video that said it was only available in certain areas. But I clicked it and it works. Thanks.

73. BlacqueJacque says:

OK I’m not watching tonight.

Teams are supposed to get more interesting as the pre-season goes on, not worse. So many scrubs.

They’re playing Lander a lot. Lander a lot. Lance a lot. We need the regular season.

75. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Good feed here for anyone having problems:

DeadmanWaking:
    I suspect picking up SMac was nothing more than yipping at the league for tolerating thugs without getting fined.I hope he’s just a mirage now that the message was sent.Actions speak louder than words, especially when you’re not allowed to lob any choice cuts at the powers that be.

As day turns tonight, I’m thinking you are correct.

77. theres oil in virginia says:

Will Acton stinks and he knows it.

78. delooper says:

Does anyone know how the music is chosen between whistles? These games would have so much character if they played Hank Williams Sr. Or had an organ player.

79. delooper says:

“Lowry looks like he weighs 215 and is hitting like he’s 230″. Commentary doesn’t get much more insightful than that!

80. delooper says:

Maybe Yakupov is playing so much because Eakins is trying him out in new roles.

81. Kris11 says:

Boring game so far, no?

82. RexLibris says:

Hey LT, great song choice. Where’d this inspiration for that one come from? ;)

On the suspensions – Kassian for five games is the minimum that I’d expect.

Wiese on the other hand…the rest of the preseason? Seriously?! Well, given that players aren’t paid for the preseason and most of it is driven by ticket sales, which we all know are a key factor in icing any roster with Wiese in it, I think this is a perfectly appropriate suspension for a targeted head shot!

Sorry, I think I sprained my sarcasm there, I better go walk it off.

83. hunter1909 says:

It’s great not caring whether they get scored on first. Or not.

Kind of like watching the old time Dallas Stars, in reverse.

84. Kris11 says:

Trade Dubnyk. Put MacIntyre in net.

85. theres oil in virginia says:

My take away from this game so far: “Pop music is awful, but not as bad as the Oilers center depth.”

Tonight I’m glad I’m on EDT. It’s bedtime.

86. jake70 says:

They got scored on with 58 sec left in period, rather than 58 seconds into it….progress.

87. Southern Oil says:

Kris11:
    Trade Dubnyk. Put MacIntyre in net.

Completely – and if he get’s scored on have him
    beat the crap out of the goal scorer. Who says we can’t find a role for an enforcer.

88. Kris11 says:

Jets lineup is more talented, but the Oilers seem to be well organized in breaking their cycle and then breaking out the puck and supporting the puck. That is to say, the coaching of the Oilers looks good to me, for this period anyway, for what this is worth.

89. Nostradumbass says:

Oh Dubnyk…why do you make it so easy for MacT to hate you??

90. Kris11 says:

Southern Oil,

Yeah, that will intimidate their goal scorers into not scoring goals.

91. striatic says:

Jones ended up on his butt on the forecheck, made getting the scoring chance that led to the goal a little easier.

Jones needs to be better than that. he’s doing some good things here and there but the mistakes are killing him.

92. Kris11 says:

Can the Oilers get another C for one of the excess D?

93. Gret99zky says:

I’m watching on Shaw channel 351 for those local boys interested in tv watching.

94. Kris11 says:

I’m not a Jones fan, but he has had good spurts of play in past seasons, and looks awful so far this year. IMO, he should be cut and just might get cut. IMO, Eakins looks the kind of guy to make an example out of a borderline NHL’er who thinks he has a guaranteed spot who isn’t improving and working harder than the rest.

95. hunter1909 says:

As soon as Steve MacIntyre gets here, everything is going to be alright.

96. BlacqueJacque says:

Gret99zky:

Umm… yeah… no.

I think Simpsons reruns may be on. I need to watch a few. I can’t handle the excitement of an Acton-Arcobello 3/4 line.

97. Southern Oil says:

Did I just hear the announcer say you could win a pizza party with Sam Gagner? Dood that’s just cruel. Hopefully he brings along a vitamix and can puree it all into a shake.

striatic:

He made an awful icing on a puck earlier when everyone was bagged and he had the option to soft dump to open wing and just golfed it because he’s Ryan Jones.

99. speeds says:

If you were MacT, do you waive Grebeshkov thinking it’s more likely he clears than Larsen?

Kris11:
    Can the Oilers get another C for one of the excess D?

If they trade, its probably a D.

I’ve been trading N.Shultz since last spring so I’ll stick with that.

speeds:

102. Gret99zky says:

BlacqueJacque: I bought a signed Yak jersey for… more money than I care to admit, but less than what a Hall jersey would have cost me.

In 10 years, I’m pretty sure people will think the Yak jersey was a steal.

I bought my first house this past month. Move in next weekend.

Relatives are offering up all kinds of furniture, bedding, etc.

What does my old man get me for a housewarming gift?

Dishes? Nope. Candlesticks? Nope. Barbecue? Nope.

He gives me a framed, autographed Wayne Gretzky Oiler jersey.

Shwing!

103. delooper says:

Larsen, Belov and Fedun all seem to be showing pretty well.

striatic:

Ryan Jones sitting on his ass because he was “aggressive on the fore-check” (and not good) while his line mates play a man short for 20 seconds is his speciality.

delooper:
    Larsen, Belov and Fedun all seem to be showing pretty well.

I have Fedun on the roster over Grebs and Larsen.

Haven’t seen enough of Belov yet, but looks ok-good so far.

speeds:

Maybe. I think the Oilers keep 7D with the MacIntyre acquisition and could see:

Smid-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    N Schultz-Petry
    Belov

Grebs, Potter IR

107. wheatnoil says:

speeds:

I would waive Grebeshkov because he hasn’t shown enough in preseason and Larsen’s shown more, plus is 23 with upside. If Grebs does well in the minors (and I do think there’s still an NHL player there somewhere), he can be called up when the inevitable injuries come.

108. Kris11 says:

Lowetide: Maybe. I think the Oilers keep 7D with the MacIntyre acquisition and could see:

Smid-Petry

Brown, MacIntyre

Smid-Petry
    Ference-J.Schultz
    N.Schultz-Belov/Larsen
    Larsen/Belov

IR: RNH, Gagner, Potter

Is something like that everyone’s guess for Oct 1? Or does EDM carry less than 23 to conserve cap space?

110. Kris11 says:

If Grebs goes down or gets claimed, no real loss.

111. Kris11 says:

speeds,

I think Hamilton could be in and Jones out. But pretty much.

Arcobello, Fedun and Pitlick with 2 shots on goal. Only time I noticed Pitlick was on PK.

113. striatic says:

Woodguy: I have Fedun on the roster over Grebs and Larsen.

is this going to be like every other year where a player gets sent down because there is no risk of waivers?

114. RexLibris says:

I’d keep Larsen over Grebeshkov at this point. He’s played better and has as many offensive tools as Grebeshkov. I’d also like to keep Fedun down in OKC for at least one more half-season. He and Marincin are on my call-up list, depending on who else goes down – ie: Petry injury = Fedun, Smid injury = Marincin or something like that.

If we trade a D for a C, do we have to include a Q or U or some other lesser-used letter of the alphabet to even it up?

115. Kris11 says:

If I’m Eager and they just signed MacIntyre for fighting, I see fighting in this game as important. Brown too.

116. RexLibris says:

See, we were just missing a Finn.

And I feel vindicated about Larsen now.

117. delooper says:

Nice! Joejoe!

Kris11: I think it’s a dangerous proposition to presuppose what’s going on in Eager’s head.

While he doesn’t skate as well ask Harksi, Joensuu seems to have better offensive instincts.

Good play by Pitlick.

God I hope this is Pitlick figuring out his game.

Pitlick with a nice feed to the man who has to change his number because it’s driving me nuts for a goal.

The main reason I want PItlick to find his game is then is pushes an Eager or Brown off the roster.

striatic: as do i. Larsen might be a touch better on the power play, but realistically speaking neither are going to get much power play time in the regular season what with Petry and J. Schultz.

I hope not.

Jesus Murphy Jones. STICK ON THE ICE

The silicon chip inside Pitlick’s head may have switched from off to on. Bad news for Jones, Hamilton, Eager, and Brown.

124. delooper says:

Woodguy: I hope not.

Woodguy:

I want Pitlick to work out because he’d be an inexpensive in house solution. Plus he’s clearly Colin McDonald 2.0

That brunette can toss my chips if she wants.

127. Kris11 says:

I miss Old Dutch chips here in America.

If the puck is going in the net, I don’t care what number the guy wears. Drive me nuts MORE please.

delooper: The Oilers know they have to lose some contracts, so I imagine they’re hoping for waiver grabs.

Good point.

More reason to give out the spots on merit.

130. speeds says:

Not losing a guy on waivers seems like a pretty reasonable strategy to me. The marginal upgrade in having Fedun over Larsen as the 7th D (if it is an upgrade) is probably not worth losing defensive depth, especially since, if a D is injured and placed on the IR, you can just recall the “8th D” and have him jump right into the lineup ahead of the “7th D”.

131. RexLibris says:

Game Day opinion poll: If I had to choose, I’d take Brown over Eager on this roster as I feel he is the stronger player for his role. Kent over at FN feels that Eager is the better (relative terms) player.

LT, Woodguy, Rom, BlacqueJacque, Striatic, all others – thoughts?

Pitlick didn’t get an assist on that goal? Harsh mr official scorer.

133. RexLibris says:

Some nice neutral zone defensive play by Omark there.

134. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

anyone know why the feed on the oilers site flickers when I try to go full screen?

RexLibris:

LT, Woodguy, Rom, BlacqueJacque, Striatic, all others – thoughts?

If Eager is healthy, he’s the better man.

136. delooper says:

Belov – Acton?

Heady pass by Belov.

Nice tip by Acton.

Like Belov the more I watch him.

Hard shot too.

Belov with a nice hard pass to Will the thrill Acton for a 2-1 lead. Pitlick now credited for an assist on the first goal.

If Pitlick stays, it tilts the balance heavily in favor of Eager over Brown.

140. Gret99zky says:

Will the Thrill.

He’s gotta make the team with that nick.

will the dubnyk detractors please report to the rack room?

142. Southern Oil says:

What in the hell does “being in European shape” mean?

143. Gret99zky says:

push the kill button on Jokinen

144. Kris11 says:

True fact: If Arcobello gets hurt, I am next in line to be the Oilers second line center.

Now freaking Jar Jar BINKS is hurting our centermen!

146. delooper says:

Southern Oil:
    What in the hell does “being in European shape” mean?

Too many pastries.

147. RexLibris says:

Southern Oil:
    What in the hell does “being in European shape” mean?

Looking good in a slim business suit, single breasted, preferably Italian.

RexLibris:

LT, Woodguy, Rom, BlacqueJacque, Striatic, all others – thoughts?

Eager.

Much, better hockey player and skater.

Will fight less, which is why Brown might get the spot.

149. Southern Oil says:

delooper: Too many pastries.

Bob has had a few too many pastries as well though – is he in European shape? Is Belov? Lander? What a moron.

150. Kris11 says:

Belov thought that pass through. Nice chance.

151. delooper says:

I like Belov.

Belov with another sweet pass.

I got him on the roster.

153. hunter1909 says:

Nice to see the defence fixed.

Belov getting star attention.

It helps everyone enjoy the no centre situation.

154. Andropod says:

RexLibris,

I prefer double breasted.

Belov has some real ability to pass the puck. Excellent.

156. BlacqueJacque says:

Pitlick couldn’t be even Gretzky’s fire hydrant. Beautiful pass by Belov even as idiot crowd gets ready to start yelling “shooooooooooooooooooooot”.

157. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: If Eager is healthy, he’s the better man.

Funny, because I keep seeing the opposite. Brown in on the forecheck, creating scoring chances, drawing penalties, and so on. So often Eager just looks so ineffectual in Eakins’ system. Obviously he has more tools, but they never seem to be in use, or at least useful.

158. gr8one says:

Kris11:
    I miss Old Dutch chips here in America.

qft.

159. hunter1909 says:

Yakupov+Belov = Russian primo NHL destination.

Looks like the Detroit model to me.

160. BlacqueJacque says:

I see only a few legit NHLers dressed for the Oilers so far.

Dubnyk, Yakupov, Gordon, Ference, Smid, Schultz, Belov.

Everyone else is either AHL talent, or would be if the league still had only 24 teams.

Omark isn’t outstanding yet.

162. Kris11 says:

Yeah, Omark isn’t showing enough. IMO, he is the better player than a lot of guys here, but you gotta prove it in camp.

Lander was one of three players with Ference and Nugent-Hopkins who blew 60 on the VO2Max. Him and Paajarvi were always two of the fittest Oilers. Eakins commented on Yakupov’s absolute lack of any body fat.

European shape?

Stauffer should be ashamed of the language he is using.

164. striatic says:

Belov and Joensuu are making MacT look awfully smart thus far.

we’ve been grading the players, but i wonder how MacT should be graded based on the TC.

B+? or is that too generous?

165. RexLibris says:

166. Kris11 says:

Oh Nail, Even you can’t do that.

167. striatic says:

jeez that was a sweet drop pass from Belov to Yakupov.

168. Gret99zky says:

I heard Yakupov took a shot in practice using Smyth’s stick and it caught fire.

169. striatic says:

RexLibris: Downside of Yakupov’s shot on the powerplay, I can’t think of anyone braindead enough to volunteer to stand in front of the net.

another downside is that if he misses the rebound exits the zone.

170. RexLibris says:

striatic: another downside is that if he misses the rebound exits the *rink*.

Fixed.

171. delooper says:

striatic: another downside is that if he misses the rebound exits the zone.

If he misses far-side. If he missed near-side it tends to bounce erratically, sometimes right in front of the net.

172. Kris11 says:

So Acton and Arcobello over Lander or no?

173. hunter1909 says:

Jets always play a good clean game.

Kris11:
    So Acton and Arcobello over Lander or no?

They all make it now. If anyone gets sent out it’s Lander. jmo.

Pitlick is hitting everything in sight.

175. geowal says:

RexLibris,

Now we know why they use that ridiculous 2-guy-behind-goal-line 5 on 3 setup

Kris11:
    So Acton and Arcobello over Lander or no?

That decision will probably be the last camp decision. Whether all 5 remaining centres make it, or only 4. Lander or Acton, one 4C, the other vs. a winger, for the extra forward spot with Smac.

177. wheatnoil says:

Man, that IS an aggressive penalty kill.

178. delooper says:

Nice PK. Pretty much everyone is solid.

Pitlick is really showing something here. I don’t think he makes the team but lordy he’s showing well. Dubnyk!

180. Yukio says:

Anyone else not seeing much of J. Schultz? I tuned in a little late so perhaps I missed something, but I haven’t seen him all night.

181. Kris11 says:

Am happy to see Pitlick might have a career as at least a 4th line/tweener guy.

182. hunter1909 says:

Jokinen chirping Dubnyk.

Fedun has good edges for quick turns keeping his speed to get back into the play.

184. wheatnoil says:

Oh great, Lander’s ‘body language’. He’s the new Hemsky.

185. Ribs says:

wheatnoil:
    Man, that IS an aggressive penalty kill.

Looks good in preseason games, and probably in the AHL. It will be interesting to see if it remains as effective against the guys that can really make you pay.

Well, I think Acton, R Hamilton and Belov are in. The rest of the blueline is too close to call. You folks might be able to parse Larsen v Fedun but for me it’s a photo finish. Grebs is out.

187. geowal says:

wheatnoil:
    Oh great, Lander’s ‘body language’. He’s the new Hemsky.

He only plays well when Willa the Thrilla shows him how it’s done

188. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: They all make it now. If anyone gets sent out it’s Lander. jmo.

Pitlick is hitting everything in sight.

Thinking shades of early Matlby?

189. RexLibris says:

Waiver wire probably calls that coin toss. Which is a reflection of gp and thus experience. Besides, they are blueliners and Oilers. It isn’t as though they aren’t likely to get an injury call up at some point this year.

RexLibris: Thinking shades of early Matlby?

Great visual comp. He’s not huge but he’s sure fast enough. The question is offense.

191. hunter1909 says:

Grebs methinks will take until February to get in shape. He’s playoff insurance, where expect him to Russian-style turn up at the rink when he sees the pot of gold.

Great hit with seconds left in that period.

Anyone know who did it?

If its a photo finish with Larsen and Fedun then waivers probably trump it and Fedun goes down to avoid losing Larsen.

I’d be good with that.

Fedun is first call up.

193. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m going to go ahead and guess it’s been mentioned already… but what does “European shape” constitute?

“slender” was the word that came to mind… not sure if that’s what was intended.

194. speeds says:

My guess would be Larsen ahead of Fedun, for the waiver reason I Iisted a little bit ago in this thread. Belov is on a two way, but my guess there is they keep him if he’s in the top 6, and if they have any concern that he leaves NA if demoted to the AHL.

195. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Omark has apparently had 9:41 TOI… coulda fooled me. He’s got less than five minutes to earn a spot.

I think a very funny twitter Oiler fan @TheTowelBoy has christened Jesse Joensuu “Uncle Yessey”

I like it.

197. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

“slender” was the word that came to mind… not sure if that’s what was intended.

I’m going to imagine a young Sophia Loren when I hear that. A little gift to myself.

Romulus Apotheosis:

“slender” was the word that came to mind… not sure if that’s what was intended.

@Woodguy55 14m
    @bob_stauffer Saying “Euorpean shape” denigrates the European players on the team and your Euro listeners, sponsers etc.

@Woodguy55 13m
    @bob_stauffer Saying something like “He’s in good enough shape for the Swiss league, but maybe not the NHL” is much better.

I’m trying to help.

Its about time the Edmonton MSM has figured out Jones.

Its not that he’s playing worse.

Its that he’s no longer better than the other slugs at the bottom of the roster and now that some of those slugs are gone he’s exposed.

Newer Comments »