I had a great conversation with Jason Strudwick today on LDWLT, he made some excellent points about Steve MacIntyre and how effective he’ll be as an Oiler. Struds main point was this: MacIntyre is an outstanding fighter, and it’ll be difficult to find a dance partner because of it. Adding to the degree of frustration: the coach is going to tell his team NOT to fight MacIntyre, for two reasons: first, he doesn’t want his guys risking injury, and second, the Oilers are at a disadvantage with MacIntyre on the ice and not fighting.
My thanks to Jason for those nuggets, it really does put the entire thing into perspective.
Lots of news today: Omark on waivers (doubt he’s claimed but you never know), Grebeshkov is hurt and we’re getting semaphore signals from all media outlets re: Ryan Jones. Which means we can guess the final lineup.
OPENING NIGHT OILER ROSTER (PROJECTED)
- Goal (2): Devan Dubnyk, Jason LaBarbera
- Defense (7): Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry, Andrew Ference, Justin Schultz, Nick Schultz, Anton Belov, Phil Larsen
- Center (4): Taylor Hall, Boyd Gordon, Will Acton, Mark Arcobello
- Left Wing (5): Ryan Smyth, David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
- Right Wing (5): Ales Hemsky, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Mike Brown, Steve MacIntyre
- IR: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner, Denis Grebeshkov, Corey Potter
There’s every chance a trade or waiver pickup happens before opening night. Late reports have Sam Gagner out two months–the Oilers are going to make a move.
The Oilers search for Vic Hadfield has two candidates this fall. Jesse Joensuu has some nice hands, decent speed, plays with some grit and looks like he’s doing everything right. I had him pegged for the roster from the start, but he’s done enough and more since arriving here for camp. I’m less certain about Ryan Hamilton, who has size, grit and some skill but hasn’t delivered offensively and has been running in place over the last couple of days. I wonder if he’s done enough.
Big men with hands and speed. Is there any sport that has an abundance?
CERTAIN OILERS (17)
- Goalies (2) Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera
- Defensemen (5) Jeff Petry and Ladislav Smid, Justin Schultz and Andrew Ferense, Nick Schultz
- Centermen (2) Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (inj), Sam Gagner (inj), Boyd Gordon
- Left Wing (3) David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth
- Right Wing (4) Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, Steve MacIntyre
THE UNCERTAIN OILERS (11)
- Goalies (none)
- Defensemen (5): Anton Belov, Denis Grebeshkov, Corey Potter, Phil Larsen,
Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin,Taylor Fedun
- Center (3): Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello, Will Acton,
- Left Wing (2):
Linus Omark,Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
- Right Wing (1): Mike Brown
THE OUTSIDERS (8)
- Goalies (4):
Richard Bachman, Olivier Roy, Tyler Bunz, Ty Rimmer
- Defensemen (6):
Brad Hunt, Martin Gernat, Brandon Davidson, David Musil, Darnell Nurse, Joey Leach
- Centermen (3):
Ryan Martindale, CJ Stretch, Travis Ewanyk
- Left Wing (5): Curtis Hamilton,
Austin Fyten, Kale Kessy, Mitchell Moroz, Jujhar Khaira
- Right Wing (4): Tyler Pitlick,
Matt Ford, Derek Nesbitt, Cameron Abney