PS G7 OILERS V RANGERS

I had a great conversation with Jason Strudwick today on LDWLT, he made some excellent points about Steve MacIntyre and how effective he’ll be as an Oiler. Struds main point was this: MacIntyre is an outstanding fighter, and it’ll be difficult to find a dance partner because of it. Adding to the degree of frustration: the coach is going to tell his team NOT to fight MacIntyre, for two reasons: first, he doesn’t want his guys risking injury, and second, the Oilers are at a disadvantage with MacIntyre on the ice and not fighting.

My thanks to Jason for those nuggets, it really does put the entire thing into perspective.

Lots of news today: Omark on waivers (doubt he’s claimed but you never know), Grebeshkov is hurt and we’re getting semaphore signals from all media outlets re: Ryan Jones. Which means we can guess the final lineup.

OPENING NIGHT OILER ROSTER (PROJECTED)

• Goal (2): Devan Dubnyk, Jason LaBarbera
  • Defense (7): Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry, Andrew Ference, Justin Schultz, Nick Schultz, Anton Belov, Phil Larsen
  • Center (4): Taylor Hall, Boyd Gordon, Will Acton, Mark Arcobello
  • Left Wing (5): Ryan Smyth, David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
  • Right Wing (5): Ales Hemsky, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Mike Brown, Steve MacIntyre
  • IR: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner, Denis Grebeshkov, Corey Potter

There’s every chance a trade or waiver pickup happens before opening night. Late reports have Sam Gagner out two months–the Oilers are going to make a move.

hadfield (1)

The Oilers search for Vic Hadfield has two candidates this fall. Jesse Joensuu has some nice hands, decent speed, plays with some grit and looks like he’s doing everything right. I had him pegged for the roster from the start, but he’s done enough and more since arriving here for camp. I’m less certain about Ryan Hamilton, who has size, grit and some skill but hasn’t delivered offensively and has been running in place over the last couple of days. I wonder if he’s done enough.

Big men with hands and speed. Is there any sport that has an abundance?

CERTAIN OILERS (17)

• Goalies (2) Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera
  • Defensemen (5) Jeff Petry and Ladislav Smid, Justin Schultz and Andrew Ferense, Nick Schultz
  • Centermen (2) Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (inj), Sam Gagner (inj), Boyd Gordon
  • Left Wing (3)  David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth
  • Right Wing (4) Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, Steve MacIntyre

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS (11)

• Goalies (none)
  • Defensemen (5): Anton Belov, Denis Grebeshkov, Corey Potter, Phil Larsen, Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin, Taylor Fedun
  • Center (3): Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello, Will Acton, Andrew Miller
  • Left Wing (2): Linus Omark, Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
  • Right Wing (1): Mike Brown

THE OUTSIDERS (8)

• Goalies (4): Richard Bachman, Olivier Roy, Tyler Bunz, Ty Rimmer
  • Defensemen (6): Brad Hunt, Martin Gernat, Brandon Davidson, David Musil, Darnell Nurse, Joey Leach
  • Centermen (3): Ryan MartindaleCJ Stretch, Travis Ewanyk
  • Left Wing (5): Curtis Hamilton, Austin Fyten, Kale Kessy, Mitchell Moroz, Jujhar Khaira
  • Right Wing (4): Tyler Pitlick, Matt Ford, Derek Nesbitt, Cameron Abney

295 Responses to "PS G7 OILERS V RANGERS"

« Older Comments
  1. Racki says:

crude:
    Just tuning in and takin’ the temperature on the blog here. What happened to Hemsky? He’s been hurt and is back already this game?

Went to hit someone, missed. Went back first into the boards, head kind of snapped a bit. No word on what was hurt, but you’d have to guess a bit of whiplash.

2. speeds says:

John Chambers:
    RexLibris,

Also, I can’t believe Nonis and Sather take the risk, as close to the cap as they are, with Franson and Stepan.

It actually makes no sense that a team like Nashville or Florida doesn’t use the offer sheet.

RexLibris: Me too. It allows Monahan to go back to junior, builds your team and likely makes the return closer to a 10th overall in a modest draft year. It also is mitigated because players like Cammalleri and Stempniak can be sold off for more picks at the deadline.

I’d be putting one in right now, before anyone else does it.

Then again, they won’t. Burke.

As Tyler Dellow noted a couple of weeks ago on twitter, if a team is looking to offer sheet Stepan (would also apply to Franson), it might make sense to wait now until Oct 1, when the increased summer cap goes away and teams have to be in full cap compliance. Yes, teams have a week to figure things out either way, but NYR might have less flexibility when it comes to trades once the season starts as compared to now (or a couple weeks ago when he made that point).

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

delooper: Yeah, that was Jones.

I could smell Jones flailing on the ice off a blurry tv over a mile away. I wasn’t sure it was Nurse.

4. Lynas1 says:

He’s back for the third so he’s prob ok. Separate note, Belov is looking great by my eye. I say he puts Grebs out of a job.

5. Maestro Fresh Mess says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Does he look slow because he skates so effortlessly ?

6. Gerta Rauss says:

crude:

Its been mentioned above with more details but basically he hit the boards hard after missing a check. I think the time left in the period(less than 5 min) had a lot to do with Hemsky leaving the bench(he’s back on for the 3rd)

7. Lucinius says:

delooper,

Well, there’s always the fact my grandmother was a xenophobic battleaxe, but hey. When i was over there I never had a problem as a foreigner (and I’m an asshole). Friendly people, by and large. Angry drunks, though, from my experience there.

8. crude says:

Racki,

thanks

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

how on earth is it “cass-cAH-des” and not “cass-cAY-des”?

10. RexLibris says:

delooper: Maybe time to experiment with an Eberle-at-centre scenerio.

I’m not a huge proponent of that. Can’t really put my finger on it, but I think experimenting with one converted winger in a season is probably enough.

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Maestro Fresh Mess:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Does he look slow because he skates so effortlessly ?

hmmm… not by my eye. He’s a step behind to my eye… but it could be that he is skating at the level of urgency he deems appropriate and that he has a “panic-get-back” speed we haven’t seen.

12. delooper says:

Lucinius:
    delooper,

In the villages I just knocked on people’s doors, explained who I was and what I was doing, and asked people to sleep on their couches. No problem! They even cooked me dinner. The small towns of Ukraine are extremely friendly. In the big cities yeah you have to be more guarded than you would in most western cities.

13. RexLibris says:

Just me, or has Hall had a weaker game than others recently?

Now, count down the seconds until he scores…

14. delooper says:

RexLibris:
    Just me, or has Hall had a weaker game than others recently?

Now, count down the seconds until he scores…

The game has been a bit of a snoozer with the exception being the half a second Perron has had the puck.

15. Racki says:

oohh Arco, no. Arc-no.

16. RexLibris says:

Oy.

17. BlacqueJacque says:

RexLibris,

He’s been on the puck. I blame Smytty. Three tape to tape passes to a Ranger so far while looking bewildered in a Hall-Hemsky cycle.

Can we get a new backup goalie yet?

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Labarbs looks to have some trouble with his side to side movement.

19. Lucinius says:

Arcobello has to get that puck. And Labarbra is… well, chaotic tonight.

20. Lynas1 says:

Ok. Now it’s starting to turn in a farce in the third. Jesus.

21. RexLibris says:

Not convinced that were they icing a proper NHL lineup the Rangers wouldn’t have a comfortable lead here tonight. That being said, we’ve got some AHL talent on display as well. Still…

22. crude says:

ooof. Arco and Labarberaraa drunk on that play.

23. delooper says:

NYC has a 666-6666 taxi service.

24. RexLibris says:

BlacqueJacque:
    RexLibris,

He’s been on the puck.I blame Smytty.Three tape to tape passes to a Ranger so far while looking bewildered in a Hall-Hemsky cycle.

Can we get a new backup goalie yet?

He’s also made some poor-percentage passes tonight.

25. SK Oiler Fan says:

should have been a hooking call on Eberle’s break. on the hands. Labarbera looks adventurous

I have liked Pitlick again tonight, in a quieter way from last night. I think he doesn’t come back from OKC this weekend, but this has been an excellent TC for him. Just what was needed.

27. Racki says:

Backhand sauce!!!

Eberle (Nurse, Arcobello). This kid is going to be a good one.

29. RexLibris says:

That is what Eberle has been waiting for.

Nurse to C?

30. BlacqueJacque says:

OH WOW. Nurse. Eberle. Christ. I think we found Eberle’s centre!!!

31. Lucinius says:

Wow, Nurse.

Gonna be a beast in a year, even…

Until both shoulders fall apart a month afterwards.

32. BlacqueJacque says:

RexLibris,

Ha! Beat me to it.

Arcobello with the unearned assist. I really hope this doesn’t extend his stay.

33. RexLibris says:

At least he can see daylight now.

I wonder if Eakins’ integrated coaching system with OKC shows up in Pitlick’s boxcars this year?

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Best part of that goal was Ferraro calling the Rangers on their “ole bullshit” defense.

Major League… great movie… Roger Dorn… great name.

35. crude says:

Darnell!

36. RexLibris says:

Aw, come on ref. Jones was going for the tip in. Off the guy’s teeth…

37. delooper says:

Has Jones done anything for himself in this game?

38. Lucinius says:

You go Jones!

GO!

Man. I actually like Jones, but the Jones post-eye injury is not the same Jones as pre-eye injury and that’s a damn shame as that’s exactly the kind of winger they need.

Manages to blame Pitlick, though.

39. BlacqueJacque says:

delooper:
    Has Jones done anything for himself in this game?

I like Jones, and the answer is no. He’s looked ineffective for three games against weaker than average competition.

40. delooper says:

BlacqueJacque: I like Jones, and the answer is no.He’s looked ineffective for three games against weaker than average competition.

I hope he’s been saving a good chunk of his salary. :(

41. Lucinius says:

Missed the powerplay goal against due to my stream stuttering. Who was to blame?

42. RexLibris says:

(In the voice of Shatner, Star Trek II) JJOOOOOONNNEESSSSSS!

43. John Chambers says:

RexLibris,

Good question.

I think at this point of the Oilers “rebuild”, trading the ’14 draft pick for an upgrade at D, C, or G is an attractive option. This team needs to go all-in for the next six seasons.

Not sure they can fit a salary like Stepan’s in without pawning Hemsky and/or Nick Schultz off on somebody, but Stepan is exactly the kind of player that would make this team elite in a hurry.

44. SK Oiler Fan says:

lander gave his dman way too much time and space

45. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius,

Nurse for screening Barbie, and Barbie for not getting down clean.

46. Racki says:

Oh look at that, big surprise… Dorsett acting like a prick.

47. RexLibris says:

John Chambers:
    RexLibris,

Good question.

It wouldn’t be the worst idea, although I am averse to losing both a 1st and a 2nd in one draft year this far away from true contention.

48. Lucinius says:

Poor icing there by Nurse when he had a perfectly safe option available (reverse to other d-man).

I really pity Lander. The guy can’t buy good line-mates to save his soul.

49. RexLibris says:

Did Larsen just “Hordichuk” Dorsett? Good on you, young man.

50. SK Oiler Fan says:

loving pitlick and nurse. doing everything to get noticed.

51. Racki says:

Steve MacIntyre seen running down the stairs from the press box…

52. crude says:

Dorsett is such a shit.

53. BlacqueJacque says:

crude:
    Dorsett is such a shit.

Hah, but Larsen got the best of him. Love it.

54. RexLibris says:

I heard about that NBA idea of putting nicknames on the back of Heat and Knicks players for one game this season.

I’d like to see the NFL do the same thing, but change the players’ numbers to time served.

Just a thought.

55. crude says:

BlacqueJacque,

For sure. But he’s a shit nonetheless.

56. delooper says:

Tonight was a really good night for Nurse. He did some good things, but also got into enough situations to know he’s not really ripe for the NHL yet. But he’s really really close. Next year he might just make the team.

57. SK Oiler Fan says:

fk am I sick of hearing cliches from leafs players about clarkson jumping off the bench. what a bunch of pimadonas and the to media is it uo. kadri shouldn’t be allowed to talk to the media, he’s got the mentality of a 15 year old. kessel doesn’t miss any reg season games for lumberjacking Scott’s ankles?
    my hatred of the leafs has been revived

58. BlacqueJacque says:

SK Oiler Fan,

It’s a Mickey Mouse league.

Clarkson 10 games for getting off the bench. Weise just loses 3 pre-season games for trying to decapitate Hall. Kessel 3 pre-season games for deliberately trying to injure Scott. Using his stick as a weapon. Kassian 5 regular season games for knocking out our second-best centre for 2 months, by using his stick as a weapon.

59. Clay says:

Well, if that game was indicative of how Labarbera plays, then he is the worst Oiler goalie since Dominic Roussel. And that’s not hyperbole – he’s embarrassing. How many times did he go down to make a save and completely lose track of the puck? When Gord Miller has to use the phrase “back to the play” multiple times in one game to describe the goalie, that’s just sad.

And watching him try to get from one side of the crease to the other? It’s like watching a 500lb man trying to get off the couch. There’s a lot of kicking and flailing going on, but he’s not actually going anywhere.

I hope this is just rust. Lots and lots of rust. Otherwise, Dubbie, please stay healthy…

60. SK Oiler Fan says:

BlacqueJacque,

Shanny’s magic 8 ball says….

61. BlacqueJacque says:

Clay,

Don’t forget the rebounds.

62. "Steve Smith" says:

Re: the Clarkson vs. Kassian suspensions.

I’m not defending (nor criticizing) the relative lengths of the suspensions (and Lord knows I’m not here to defend the rationality of the law of sentencing in Canada), but I think that analogy is an apt one, and maybe provides a useful prism through which to view these things.

63. delooper says:

Someone sounds like a lawyer. :)

64. "Steve Smith" says:

delooper,

I have to watch myself sometimes – I find the criminal law so fascinating, and I spend so much of my life immersed in it, that I constantly want to drag it into conversations, but what a lot of people think I’m doing when I do that is saying “Look at me! I’m a lawyer!” It’s honestly not my intent, but I can see why people might think otherwise. I think I manage to avoid doing it here most of the time. On the downside, omitting criminal substance from my posts generally leaves them devoid of any substance at all, which is where the term “Steve Smith” comes from. Maybe.

65. BlacqueJacque says:

“Steve Smith”,

For me, even if you make the argument that Kassian wasn’t being deliberate (and I think he was), his hit was late, he seriously injured another player, and he’s facing a suspension that might mean something if this was the NFL. 5 games in the NHL is nothing.

But what really pisses me off is suspending guys for pre-season games only. It’s not just meaningless, it plays in their favor. The coach doesn’t have to start the player in a meaningless game to appease fans, the player doesn’t risk getting injured in a meaningless game, and when the season rolls around, they start after a good rest.

Kessel should have had at least 5 for attempt to injure. Weise should have had 10, unless the league wants more Crosby concussions. Kassian should have had 20, because that’s around two months, about what Gagner is gone for.

The refs also need to stop swallowing their whistles after the first 15 games of the regular season, and they certainly shouldn’t forget about them completely come the playoffs like they normally do.

66. delooper says:

Steve Smith: that was meant as just mild teasing. You make a good point. I would probably come across as a math prof but so few people know math profs, it’s like camouflage.

67. delooper says:

Perron has a left **and** a right hand.

68. BlacqueJacque says:

I know it’s only preseason, but Vancouver is having an awful go of it. They’ve got a decent NHL lineup tonight that is getting blown out by the Sharks – in goals and shots.

69. spoiler says:

"Steve Smith": Re: the Clarkson vs. Kassian suspensions.To me, this is somewhat analogous to the penalties for impaired driving vs. driving while disqualified (bear with me here). On a first offence for impaired driving, you’re looking at a fine in the $1,000 – $1,500 range, plus a one year disqualification from operating motor vehicles, but you’re generally made eligible for the Ignition Interlock program (i.e. the blow-box) three months into that disqualification. On the other hand, on a first offence for driving while disqualified (in contravention of a court order), you’re looking at thirty days in jail (in most of Alberta), and a one year disqualification with no eligibility for the blow-box.There’s no doubt that impaired driving is more harmful than disqualified driving, but the differing penalties have something to do with the brightness of the line crossed. With impaired driving, maybe you had a few, and thought you were okay to drive, and it turned out that you weren’t. It was stupid, it was thoughtless, and you bear full responsibility for it, but at the end of the day it was a mistake (not an innocent mistake, but a mistake nonetheless). But when the court orders you not to drive at all, it’s setting out a bright line: do not drive, period. That line cannot be crossed by inadvertence. The only way you cross it is by showing a total disregard for the rules.Hitting people in the head with your stick is far more damaging than leaving the bench during a brawl. But sticks go waving around during play, and maybe you get careless with it, and happen to hit a guy in the head. You bear full responsibility for that, but it’s something that happens in the heat of play. Leaving the bench during a brawl crosses a bright line.Now, some of you are saying that Kassian’s high stick was not a careless one, but was deliberate, and you may well be right. But here’s the thing: even if you get deliberately shit-faced and go driving knowing full well you’re a danger to your fellow motorists (to say nothing of pedestrians), you’re still not usually looking at jail on a first offence impaired driving conviction.I’m not defending (nor criticizing) the relative lengths of the suspensions (and Lord knows I’m not here to defend the rationality of the law of sentencing in Canada), but I think that analogy is an apt one, and maybe provides aI useful prism through which to view these things.

You always take short shifts.

Wonderful as usual, except I wonder about the proportion of the punishment to the offence given the level of impairment which is presently criminalized doesn’t seem that disimlar from being ill, sleepless, exhausted, with 5 young demonspawn, injured or injured on painkillers, or just old and not computing at the same speed… we share the road with all of them but one is distinguishable and quantifiable.

What makes a line bright?

I suspect the punishment has something to do with it. And how clearly the line is marked. Same two characteristics again. I’m a little surprised because you have always struck me as an advocate.

The Olys has brighter lines. And they work, but partly because what is on the line. Pre-season NHL there is nothing on the line other than finding a job .Just asking for troublle.

70. striatic says:

just got back from the game tonight.

holy hell is Larsen good. so incredibly fast and uses his speed on both offense and puck retrieval. I’ve been boosting Fedun and while he has been good, Larsen was much better tonight. Fedun showed some flaws too.

Belov was also extremely impressive. so steady and confident and supposedly he isn’t used to the NHL ice yet. maybe i don’t want him getting used to the ice if this is how he plays.

71. Racki says:

Nurse sent down to the Soo.. official now.

Great camp.

72. wuthering says:

Rom:

Was at game last night (WPG). Belov was arguably the best player on the ice. He’s a very smooth skater for a big man and has more than enough NHL speed. His head is always up. Great passer and a great shot too. A couple times he began to rove, and follow the puck out of position, but I wonder if this is more his KHL habits still being apart of his game.

Was skeptical about him, but I’m definitely a Belov convert.

Also, Nick Shultz was Ryan Jones horrible. And I’ve defended both of those guys before.

73. Racki says:

wuthering:
    Also, Nick Shultz was Ryan Jones horrible.And I’ve defended both of those guys before.

Was at the game too. Didn’t watch N. Schultz a lot, but did see some mistakes on his part. If he can’t find his game, you kinda have to wonder here… I don’t think he’s really going to be a big part of this team, and he takes in a rather large pay cheque compared to some other players knocking on the door. But he’s also one of few veteran NHLers in the Oilers d group.. I’d like to see some more games with him first before I write him off, as he’s been a pretty steady workhorse in the past. Not a very glamorous defenseman though, so he’s the first d-man people will name as their goat most of the time.

74. Racki says:

Looks like Fedun, Lander, Pitlick to OKC as well. Good camp finish by Pitlick. He could be back soon.

Only one more forward cut to go now… could be Jones. Would be my choice, as much as it pains me to say this.. always been a fan of his.. so it would be a sad moment to see him demoted to OKC/waived… if it’s all due to his eye, it would be a real tragedy.

Could also be Hamilton. Doubt it will be Eager or Brown.

75. striatic says:

i spent a lot of time watching Ryan Jones away from the puck. he had a terrible game despite trying really hard every shift.

he plays so differently than any other player on the ice and this was even more noticible in person because the camera only catches him on his ass away from the play some of the time.

terrible game with his job on the line. i am a Jones fan but he has all of the bad qualities he had before, with none of the good stuff that used to offset his problems. he tries too hard on the forecheck and it just makes it easier for the defense since he comes in so hot, if they are simply calm and step to the correct side he gives himself no time to adjust his trajectory to be in a good position to slow down the breakout.

76. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler: I wonder about the proportion of the punishment to the offence given the level of impairment which is presently criminalized doesn’t seem that disimlar from being ill, sleepless, exhausted, with 5 young demonspawn, injured or injured on painkillers, or just old and not computing at the same speed… we share the road with all of them but oneis distinguishable and quantifiable.

Well, first of all, driving while impaired by painkillers is a criminal offence, just like driving while impaired by alcohol. You’re right about the rest, though – you can take two people whose ability to drive is equally impaired, and the one for whom the source of impairment is alcohol is a criminal, and the one whose source of impairment of fatigue is not (unless their driving rises to the level of dangerous driving).

Second of all, we have to distinguish between the charges of driving while impaired by alcohol (and/or drugs), and driving with more than 80 mg of alcohol in 100 mL of blood. They’re distinct offences. The second one is, as you say, quantifiable in a way that the other sorts of impaired driving are not. But the first one (for which any degree of impairment of the ability to drive is sufficient) exists as a free-standing offence; I am aware of people being charged with driving while impaired by alcohol, when their BAC was provably at less than 80mg%. So the legal distinction between driving while impaired by alcohol and driving while impaired by fatigue can’t be chalked up entirely to the quantifiability of the former.

I suspect that the true source of the difference is that, to be impaired by alcohol, you (barring some extremely unusual and contrived situations) have to consume alcohol. If you want to avoid accidentally driving while your ability to do so is impaired by alcohol, just don’t consume alcohol before driving (I mean, exactly how long a period to abstain isn’t a bright line, but I think it’s pretty easy to err on the side of extreme caution). But how do you protect yourself absolutely against inadvertently driving while impaired by fatigue? It becomes a judgment call, and one that people can easily get wrong.

Plus, society is just more inclined to accept that sometimes you “need” to drive when you’re tired, because you only have so much time to get from point A to point B, or what have you. You don’t get much sympathy from most people for arguing that you “need” to drive drunk.

What makes a line bright?

I’d say that it’s the degree of judgment required to determine whether somebody has crossed it. You’ll always get lots of debate over whether somebody deliberately high-sticked somebody in the head, or drove while their ability to do so was impaired by alcohol. It’s tougher to debate whether somebody left the bench during a brawl, or drove while disqualified.

I’m a little surprised because you have always struck me as an advocate.

I’m not sure that I understand what you mean here.

77. wheatnoil says:

Racki:
    Looks like Fedun, Lander, Pitlickto OKC as well. Good camp finish by Pitlick. He could be back soon.

I guess that clears up a lot of questions. Down to 15 non-injured forwards. Eager, Brown, Hamilton & Jones. One of these four are going down to the AHL. I’m not a big fan of the fact that 3 of these 4 are going to make this team.

On defense, they start the season with Smid, Petry, Ference, J. Schultz, N. Schultz, Belov, & Larsen. Oilers buy a little more time on a decision until either Potter or Grebeshkov come off the IR.

78. "Steve Smith" says:

striatic: I’ve said a ton of good things about him in these comments in the past, but he’s just not good enough to be on this team.

79. delooper says:

“Steve Smith”:
    I’m not sure that I understand what you mean here.

I think he’s calling you a drug abuser.

80. striatic says:

Nurse’s assist was spectacular, but the most amazing thing about it to me was Eberle’s read of the play. watching the replay, he has his stick on the forehand and just as Nurse begins his spin move, Eberle pulls his stick around the defender in synchronization with Nurse’s move. Eberle was probably the only guy in the building who understood what Nurse was doing WHILE Nurse did it. the Defender certainly didn’t read the play that quickly.

we were down at ice level and Eakins is right, the game is way slower the farther up in the stands you go. i have no idea how Eberle processes the game that quickly. it is surreal. inhuman. magical.

81. wheatnoil says:

striatic:

82. Andropod says:

An injured NFL player is like a sick (as in unhealthy) IT contractor. You feel a bit sorry for them when their poor health, or failure to recover from poor health, costs them their job, or contract.

But then you remember that’s why they get paid the big bucks, it’s a high risk business, and there is no guarantee of employment tomorrow nor the day after. I liked Jones and Whitney was once our best defensemen. But Whitney got sick – as in bad ankle – and Jones got injured. So now poor Jonesy can’t see well enough and Whitney could not skate fast enough to make the team.

It’s why they should always save their jackpot earnings as if there is no work tomorrow, because there may not be.

On the other hand, people who take opposing players out of the game through dirty play need a good Smac or 4. But once again it’s why the skilled healthy ones get the multi million paycheck, to make up for the risk of injury and a short career.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

83. "Steve Smith" says:

Andropod: On the other hand, people who take opposing players out of the game through dirty play need a good Smac or 4.But once again it’s why the skilled healthy ones get the multi million paycheck, to make up for the riskof injury and a short career.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

As a moral theory, it makes perfect sense. But as Bookje pointed out in the last thread, it’s not economically accurate: the skilled healthy players get the multi-million dollar paycheques because they i. are non-fungible, and ii. attract paying customers (both directly, and by contributing to winning, which also attracts paying customers).

Face-punchers may to some extent directly attract paying customers. But they’re far more fungible, and they don’t contribute to winning, and therefore get paid much less.

(Maybe I don’t mean “fungible” so much as “replaceable”. I’ll leave that one to the philosophers.)

(I am presuming an efficient market, of course, and there are many ways in which the NHL UFA market is not efficient. But I think it’s efficient enough that the overall point holds.)

84. delooper says:

Andropod:
    Does that make sense to anyone else?

That’s the “rational market” explanation. The other explanation is that we over-value entertainment and under-value the big things in life…. so the entertainment complex is flush with money and consequently sports players make far more money than is reasonable, and sports become far riskier as a result of people competing for that large amount of money. It’s much like how people blame the high salaries of bankers for the financial collapse of 2007.

85. Evilas says:

I think Jones is gonna be placed on waivers pretty quit. He’s got nothing…..

Lander will be sent down very soon, he has 0 confidence, I hope he picks up where he left off last year….I can’t help but wonder what impact PRV’s trade has had on him……

The line of Acton, Hamilton and Eager were awful, Hamilton was a lot better early in TC, where’d that guy go….

Eager was brutal and Acton was completely ineffective

On a positive note ARCO!!!!, hopefully this builds his confidence and he builds on this.

Pitlick had the best showing by my eye of all the bottom 6. I would will put him on this roster to start the season and send Hamilton down to let him get his mojo back.

I don’t want Brown or Eager on this team.

Belov is a keeper! Not sure about Larsen, but I sure love to watch him skate. I think Larsen is ahead of Fedun at this point, his skating is what puts him ahead.

Eberle should have had a penalty shot, what the Hell was the ref looking at, it was totally in front of him. They make calls in the middle of the ice, but not on a breakaway, that was a gawdawful non-call.

86. striatic says:

“Steve Smith”: I find it odd to see all of these people saying “I’m a Ryan Jones fan, but he should be cut”, because I’m in exactly the opposite camp: I don’t care much for the player at all, but I’d still have him on this team, because I don’t think the Oilers have fourteen healthy forwards better than him.

sign someone. take a gamble on a waiver claim. there needs to be a plan b here.

although i have to say that Hamilton didn’t look good to me at all, except on the 5v3 PK with Acton and Petry.

one of the goals I’d put on him though, with his failed clearing attempt. when he came off the ice it looked like he was putting it on himself too. players make mistakes but his job on the team if nothing else is to win the winnable puck battles.

on the other hand Acton really impressed me in multiple situations. he’s good.

87. stevezie says:

I don’t think it is helpful to use the Clarkson suspension as a comparable. The NHL wanted to stop bench-clearers so they made the automatic suspension so incredibly, prohibitively high that almost no one would do it (I think Goddard was 100% right to charge the ice to protect Brent Johnson, but that’s the only example I can think of). 10 games is the NHL’s version of “so insane we’ll never have to use it.”

Clarkson is an entirely different kettle of fish.

If you compare Kassian’s suspension to others for in on-ice infractions then it looks stiff. If you think suspensions in general should double, well that’s a different argument. Kassian got punished harshly for a first time offender that many outside of Edmonton thought had no criminal intent.

88. striatic says:

wheatnoil: I got the feeling that Eberle knew where that pass was going even before Nurse did!

you know, that might be the only rational explanation.

seriously.

89. delooper says:

SS and Stevezie are more or less saying the same thing. It’s far easier to enforce a law that it totally-clear. Not only that, but people have an easier time dealing with the punishment from a clear law. Laws that have layers of judgement and interpretation, where one pretends to know what was going-on in the mind of another, or where the law-enforcer has access to secret information that the defendant does not, those are the ones that create sores.

90. Zelepukin says:

So D is pretty much set? No way you keep Grebs or Potter over Larsen.

Jones should be gone.

Hall – Smytty – Hemsky
    Arco – Ebs – Perron
    Gordon – Joensuu – Yaks
    Acton – Hamilton – Brown/Mac

I really hate seeing Yaks with no skill guys. Perhaps once Smytty tires out after the first month, he’ll swap with Yaks.

91. RMGS says:

Just saw an emotional Darnell Nurse interviewed after learning he’d been cut. Damn if I say I didn’t tear up, myself. Great training camp for a great pick.

As for Jones, it’s funny how the knives are out, but his direct competition (Hamilton) didn’t have a great game either. I think (hope?) Hamilton wins the day, but Tubthumper isn’t out of it yet.

92. Lewis Grant says:

“Steve Smith”: [Warning: the below has even less to do with hockey than most of my posts; I lapse from "criminal law as an analogy for NHL discipline" to "criminal law simpliciter". Sorry about that.]

Thanks for this. Having read this site regularly for almost a decade, and thus ‘wasted’ what probably adds up to several months of my life on it, I can now finally justify it as legal research that relates directly to my job. (I use ‘wasted’ in scare quotes because I’d have to admit that the period from April-June 2006 was actually not wasted.) Anyways, you’ve given me a great rationalization for all the time I will undoubtedly waste here over the next decade.

(I should probably add that my job is academic research, not being an alcoholic.)

93. theres oil in virginia says:

Lewis Grant:

Wait, you mean there’s a difference? I’d better send out a memo.

So, now it’s even less clear than before regarding Acton. Some say he sucks and some say he’s “impressive”-ly good. I’m guessing he stays by default and the Oilers are in trouble to start the season unless their skill guys all start out on fire, *literally.

* That’s using definition 2 of “literally”. If using definition 1, then the Oilers are in even more trouble; however, the way things have been going, it’s not out of the question..

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wuthering:
    Rom:

Was at game last night (WPG).Belov was arguably the best player on the ice.He’s a very smooth skater for a big man and has more than enough NHL speed.His head is always up.Great passer and a great shot too.A couple times he began to rove, and follow the puck out of position, but I wonder if this is more his KHL habits still being apart of his game.

Was skeptical about him, but I’m definitely a Belov convert.

Thanks for the report on Belov.

I’m trying to curb my own extreme excitement of the player. I think he’s amazing and thought he would be when I first heard about him for some reason…

That said, I’d still like a much bigger sample before I let the true fan love out. Better to be cautious. I’d like to see him in a scramble to get back against a speedy forward and see how it goes.

N. Schultz didn’t play last night:

So… he must have been really, really bad to affect the game :)

I’m guessing you didn’t like J. Schultz’ game… which is not a good sign.

95. lawrenharris says:

I say offer Belov a three year extension at 3m per right now, before he has a great season and goes to a “real” team. Only partly joking.

« Older Comments