PS G8 OILERS V STARS

The Edmonton Oilers will have about 8 new faces in the opening night lineup next week, and some of those new names are NHL veterans with playoff experience. Question: is the projected opening night lineup better than last season’s closing night roster?

azorcan

PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT ROSTER

• L1: Hall-Smyth-Hemsky
  • L2: Arcobello-Perron-Eberle
  • L3: Gordon-Joensuu-Yakupov
  • L4: Acton-R Hamilton-Brown
  • D1: Smid-Petry
  • D2: Ference-J Schultz
  • D3: N Schultz-Belov
  • G1: Dubnyk (LaBarbera)

There’s a boatload of offensive talent here, I’d say there are two potential 30-goal scorers (Hall, Yakupov) and a couple more who can get to 20 (Eberle, Perron) plus. Nuge and Gagner are big holes in this lineup, but I’m pleased that the two men Dallas Eakins elevated (Ryan Smyth, Mark Arcobello) had a strong training camp. Jesse Joensuu also offers some promise.

On the blueline, we’re talking a smart upgrade from Ryan Whitney (Andrew Ference) and Mark Fistric (Anton Belov) plus Schultz the younger has a year of pro hockey under his belt. Despite the tsn analysis, Devan Dubnyk is a solid NHL goaltender.

I’m picking this team to make the playoffs, on the back of Hall, Yak City, Eberle, Nuge and the rest of the department of youth. The improvements over the summer will help, but the jump in the standings (imo) will come from the kids and from Dallas Eakins strategic upgrades on last year’s break outs/set plays from faceoffs etc.

kb1

FINAL GAME 2012-13

• L1: Horcoff-Hall-Yakupov
  • L2: Gagner-Paajarvi-Eberle
  • L3: Belanger-Lander-Jones
  • L4: Smithson-Smyth-Brown
  • D1: Smid-Petry
  • D2: N Schultz-Potter
  • D3: Fistric-J Schultz
  • G1: Dubnyk

Of course, injury had done in much of the roster by this time, but they won the game in Vancouver that night (Hall put it all to rest early iirc). Hall-Yakupov is like a “coming attractions” we’ll probably look back on someday in wonder, Paajarvi had it figured out I swear by this time, and the bottom 6F does indeed look very poor. How much better than Belanger is Will Acton? Is he better?

I like the current blue better, but would love your input comparing these two rosters.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP

kb2

I suspect what you’re about to read will be the starting lineup or damn near for opening night. This is lifted from Joanne Ireland of the EJ:

• L1: Hall-Smyth-Hemsky
  • L2: Gordon-Perron-Yakupov
  • L3: Arcobello-Joensuu-Eberle
  • L4: Acton-R Hamilton-Eaer
  • D1: Smid-Petry
  • D2: Ference-J Schultz
  • D3: Belov-Larsen
  • G1: Dubnyk (LaBarbera)

This roster isn’t what it should be–once the C’s arrive that top 9 is going to hum–but there’s plenty of firepower there. I’m not sure how they’ll suss out the RW’s, but LW could get an enormous boost if Joensuu scores three or four goals while Nuge/Gagner are out. The defense looks good from here, Belov will need to be battle tested but there’s a lot to like.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

KB3

This morning at 10am (it’s going to be a big day at 1260), guests scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky from BigMouthSports. We’ll talk about Hall at C, the Leafs and Clarkson, and the excitement of opening night.
  • Jeff Chapman from Copper and Blue. We’ll talk playoffs (PLAYOFFS?), Oiler roster and the Pacific Dvision.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter. We’ll talk about Ben Johnson these years later, and Canada’s reaction to him.

There’s also a bunch of voices you’ll hear I can’t tell you about yet. Best to tune in to 1260 this morning for the news.

256 Responses to "PS G8 OILERS V STARS"

« Older Comments
  1. Dead Cat Bounce says:

bookje: I wouldn’t call it done yet.Hemsky and Hall could light it up!

Could happen.

But that’s a pretty big deficit to make up in one season.

2. Andropod says:

Can anyone give me the url for the live feed?
    I just got in, can you believe this – the CN train driver parked his mile long train across the tracks at 34th Ave, hopped out of his locomotive, walked across to Wendy’s – the Hamburger joint – bought a meal, sat down and ate it in a leisurely fashion. Tonight. Right now.

I have tried the regular oilers.nhl.com but no luck so far.

3. VanOil says:

Oh no not Brown too…

4. VanOil says:

This game is beating the toughness out the Oilers

5. Racki says:

MacIntyre AND Brown hurt? Clearly these guys need someone to protect them… I kid, I actually like having both of these guys.. that’s Oilers luck though

6. Andropod says:

How did the goons get hurt?

7. VanOil says:

How to impress Miss Oklahoma?

Try this Pink Camo AR-15 from Barons sponsor Big Boys Guns and Ammo

8. Racki says:

NO GOALIE WITH 8 MINS TO GO! I love you, Dallas Eakins. Message wasn’t quite sent there.. but that was a good laugh.

9. gr8one says:

Racki:
    NO GOALIE WITH 8 MINS TO GO! I love you Eakins.

this.

10. VanOil says:

Well this game has looked like good old Oilers hockey. I am going to have less fun drinking with some Flames fans tonight than I thought.

11. Andropod says:

Seems we fielded our regular team alright. Long season ahead.

12. Racki says:

What a Fortunus bounce there.

13. Rebilled says:

So I guess Perron and Ference were good pick-ups.

Bravo MacT

14. bookje says:

Preseason doesn’t matter

15. Gret99zky says:

The planets will need to align the shit out of each other for this team to make the playoffs.

Smyth on the first line and Yak on the third doesn’t seem quite right.

I’m sorry I can’t be more optimistic when it comes to this team and it’s yearly playoff prediction.

16. wheatnoil says:

bookje:
    Preseason doesn’t matter

(Sorry, couldn’t help it.)

17. RexLibris says:

I decided to pick at an infected hangnail with a rusty oyster shucker tonight rather than watch the game.

Did I miss anything?

18. B S says:

RexLibris:

Did I miss anything?

Well, I’m a little jealous. I made the mistake of watching a college hockey game followed by the second half of the Oilers game. I’ll give you 3 guesses of which game was more entertaining (and showed more talent), but the first two don’t count.

19. bookje says:

wheatnoil: http://www.boysonthebus.com/2013/09/27/yes-the-preseason-matters/

(Sorry, couldn’t help it.)

wheatnoil: http://www.boysonthebus.com/2013/09/27/yes-the-preseason-matters/

(Sorry, couldn’t help it.)

I appreciate the link. However, if you understand the stats, that basically demonstrates that the preseason doesn’t matter. Finding statistical significance does not remove the possibility of it being spurious or more importantly – meaningless. One look at that ‘cloud’ scatter plot tells me that the preseason is meaningless.

20. wheatnoil says:

bookje:
    I appreciate the link.However, if you understand the stats, that basically demonstrates that the preseason doesn’t matter.Finding statistical significance does not remove the possibility of it being spurious or more importantly – meaningless.One look at that ‘cloud’ scatter plot tells me that the preseason is meaningless.

I know, it basically just says there’s a small statistical correlation between preseason success and reaching the playoffs. Mostly I just thought it was funny because I saw the title “Yes, the preseason matters” in my newsfeed literally minutes before I saw your post.

Ha! So I missed the right game then?

22. wheatnoil says:

23. Dead Cat Bounce says:

wheatnoil: The biggest news from this game is if McIntyre is out for an extended time, do they claim someone on waivers with the extra roster spot?

Because SMac is injured…he can’t be moved.

There is no roster spot.

24. B S says:

wheatnoil,

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure those points in the bottom right of the chart are the Oilers last 2 seasons, not including last of course. I bet if you exclude the Oilers from this data, the statistics would be a lot more precise.

25. wheatnoil says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Because SMac is injured…he can’t be moved.

There is no roster spot.

If SMac goes on IR or LTIR, then there is an extra spot on the 23 man roster.

26. B S says:

B S,

‘last 2 seasons, “with a preseason”‘ to clarify.

27. Racki says:

wheatnoil: If SMac goes on IR or LTIR, then there is an extra spot on the 23 man roster.

Derp derp derp. (@DCB)

At any rate, I am not so sure the Oilers should go after another guy if Mac is out for any length of time. I’m thinking a call up is in order, and unrelated to a big goon. I’d like to see a bit more Tyler Pitlick, myself. You could also bring Ryan Jones back. I know most will groan at that idea, but I’d still like to give him more of a shot to prove he can still play. He’d also be playing on the 4th line to fill for Mac, so it’s not asking a lot to have him in the lineup. Or, you could just put Eager in and even go with 22 for now if you wanted.

28. wheatnoil says:

B S:

Well the scatterplot would look slightly better, but there’s enough data points there that the two outlier seasons there probably wouldn’t make much of a difference. Regardless, the whole thing is correlational, not causal. Just kind of an interesting look at the data.

29. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Players on IR occupy a roster spot.

Players cannot be put on LTIR until the season starts. (see Chris Pronger for reference).

30. wheatnoil says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Players on IR occupy a roster spot.

Players on the IR occupy a spot on the 50 man roster spot and count against the salary cap. They do not count against the 23 man roster.

As for LTIR, you’re right that teams must be salary cap compliant at the start of the season prior to moving players to the LTIR, which allows teams to go above the salary cap by an amount equal to the cap hit of the player on LTIR. Thus, the Oilers are easily salary cap compliant by making a paper transaction of moving Yakupov, Belov, and/or J.Schultz to the minors, and then moving Gagner to the LTIR and then recalling those players. (Gagner is eligible for the LTIR as he is expected to miss both 10 games & 24 days, the minimum requirement for LTIR)

Either way, players on the IR and LTIR do not count against the 23 man roster.

Dead Cat Bounce: Players on IR occupy a roster spot.

What the hell are you talking about? The Oilers are going to place RNH, Gagner, Potter and Grebeshkov on the IR, and replace them with callups. And if MacIntyre goes on the IR, he will also be replaced with a player on the roster. This is pretty basic stuff, DSF.

32. B S says:

wheatnoil,

The causal is probably backwards in fact. Good teams are good no matter when they play, plus there’s not a hell of a lot of correlation in the first place. I was just taking a tongue-in-cheek jab at how the Oilers have dominated preseasons and eventually bombed the regular season.

I’m reluctant to believe this season will be any different. Say what you (in the broad sense of the blogosphere) will about Krueger, I was never worried about him asking the Oilers to trade for his son. I understand a coach wanting “his” players in the dressing room to back him up, but Lander and Jones are upgrades on Acton and Hamilton. It just reeks a little of favouritism, rather than the accountability he’s been preaching.

33. oilersfan says:

Can a person be put into ltir retroactively? Eg if they dont put RNH on now but he ends up missing ten games can they get the cap relief after the fact? Or do they have to put him on before?

34. wheatnoil says:

oilersfan:

I don’t know if you can put someone on LTIR retroactively or not, however you don’t technically get cap relief either way. LTIR allows you to go over the cap by the amount of the LTIRed player’s cap hit. The Oilers are only around $250K over the cap right now (assuming they don’t demote anyone else). So by putting Gagner on the LTIR, they are allowed to go over the cap by Gagner’s cap hit ($4.8Million). Once Gagner comes back, they’ll have to adjust the roster to be cap compliant again (which they will be as soon as Grebs and/or Potter return from IR and they have to demote one of them). So there’s no added benefit to putting RNH on LTIR anyways, since the Oilers are never going to be that far over the cap for it to matter.

At least, that’s how I understand things. I imagine someone will correct me if I’m way off here.

Edit: Using the Pronger example, Philly doesn’t actually get $4.9million of cap relief when Pronger goes on LTIR. Instead, they get to go $4.9million over the cap. Putting a second player on LTIR serves no purpose unless they were planning on going more than $4.9million over the cap to replace both Pronger & that second player.

35. 719 says:

I guess a roster spot just opened up for MPS (if he really does get waived by St. Louis)

36. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy Wars Episode VI:

Return of the Jones

37. bookje says:

B S,

There would be no causal relationship, rather two variables similarly affected by a third variable(team quality)

38. 719 says:

There are rumors Jordan Caron may become available on the waiver wire as well this weekend.

39. delooper says:

Well, I’m glad I had better things to do tonight.

40. 719 says:

From nhl.com (just in case there was any doubt). The last sentence seems particularly relevant.

23-man Roster
    There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club’s playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its “Opening Day Playing Roster” which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

41. Andropod says:

If you get that many people buying tickets for that game you owe it to them not to stink the place up.

Just when I was getting hopeful…….

42. BlacqueJacque says:

Andropod,

And it was the Texas stars that beat us, not Dallas.

For shamizzle.

43. Andropod says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Andropod,

And it was the Texas stars that beat us, not Dallas.

For shamizzle.

This too.
    Message to all Oilers opponents: rest your skilled players. Send out your goon squad. You’ll beat them like rented mules and your skill players will be ready for your real opponents for the next game.

I know its pre season and all that but sorry, you stink it up like that and words like “if this was Oct 1st I’d shorted up the bench in a hurry” suddenly have a hollow ring about them. The jury’s back out after that putrid show, Coach, and it ain’t lookin’ too pretty right now.

44. kooler says:

David Steckel as a 4th line centre, is he worth looking at?

kooler:
    David Steckel as a 4th line centre, is he worth looking at?

I don’t think so, he’s an iceberg.

46. Racki says:

The Oilers lost to a sub-NHL squad, but I’m not too worried. As we’ve been saying all along to quell excitement.. it’s pre-season. Guys aren’t necessarily trying as hard as they should. This one was a real snoozer, and the team was flat though. There will be games like that.

Good quote from Dallas about the loss: “Hey it’s good that it happened. It’s good to let our team know that our diapers do stink. That’s not going to happen again. I let the players know that that’s their free pass. If this was October 1st, I would have shortened that bench down fast and the guys who weren’t doing what was being asked of them would have been on the bench. But.. that’s their free one, and sometimes it’s good you get a good kick in the butt leading into the season.”

47. VanOil says:

Though I am not a proponent of facepunchers, I wish no one a injury. I do how ever endorse smelly diapers as a learning experience. May the Oilers have learned that tonight.

48. bookje says:

For those of you freaking out, I want to remind you that it’s the preseason and that the preseason doesn’t matter.

49. theres oil in virginia says:

It’s like tennis where a top ranked player is defeated by a much lower ranked player. The lower ranked player plays at such a slow pace that the better player is thrown off his game. Yeah, that’s it…I’m going with that.

50. hunter1909 says:

bookje:

Words of the wise.

For those of you preparing for more freaking out once the regular season starts, I want to remind you that it’s the regular season and that the regular season doesn’t matter, only the playoffs matter.

51. Gret99zky says:

For those of you planning on freaking out. The only thing that matters is the Stanley Cup.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

For those of you considering freaking out, I just want to remind you that the only thing that matters is Gord.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gardiner forgot to shave the sideburns

54. RMGS says:

Signs you’re spending too much time reading LT’s blog:

I had a dream last night that drew from an actual public Q & A with Margaret Atwood in Ottawa for which CBC radio ran a contest asking listeners to send in questions, with two listeners chosen to ask their questions in person. Anyway, in my dream the contest was run by the Edmonton Journal, the Q & A was with MacT, and Woodguy was one of the winners. My dream skipped to the news headline the next morning: “Oilers GM grilled by fan in expletive filled tirade.” LOL.

« Older Comments