SATURDAY WAIVERS

The big names will roll out tomorrow, but today’s waiver wire names are worth mulling over. Luke Adam, Adam Hall and Colton Sceviour caught my eye, let’s look at these guys one at a time.

1. C-R Adam Hall: Veteran center who is pretty familiar with a 4line role and defensive hockey. I’d like to have him as an Oiler, bet he gets plucked before Edmonton can pick.
  2. C-L Luke Adam: 2nd round pick in 2008, pretty famous prospect since then but hasn’t been able to get any traction. He did play one complete season (11-12) and then couldn’t make it in the shortened season. Might be exceptional value.
  3. R Colton Sceviour: Young winger annually in the top 10 (AHL) in shots on goal, has scored 20 goals two seasons in a row (AHL) and is described as having some two-way ability. My ongoing search for a modern Fernando Pisani compels me to list him here.
  4. W Chris Porter: Veteran has some size and some checking ability. Likely a pass, but he has value.
  5. L Luke Gazdic: 6.03, 230 enforcer.

The top two offer legit value, the third has some nice things and the fourth could really help in areas like checking and penalty killing. Gazdic would step in for MacIntyre.

PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT 23 MAN ROSTER

• L1: Hall-Smyth-Hemsky
  • L2: Arcobello-Perron-Eberle
  • L3: Gordon-Joensuu-Yakupov
  • L4: Acton-R Hamilton-Brown
  • extras: L Ben Eager, L Gazdic
  • D1: Smid-Petry
  • D2: Ference-J Schultz
  • D3: N Schultz-Belov
  • extra: D Phil Larsen
  • SG: Devan Dubnyk
  • BG: Jason LaBarbera
  • IR: C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C Sam Gagner, D Denis Grebeshkov, D Corey Potter, L Steve MacIntyre

111 Responses to "SATURDAY WAIVERS"

1. sliderule says:

I wouldn’t put too much into last nights game.

I think since Gagners injury in preseason in a nothing game the players that count were careful .

2. Racki says:

I would like to see Colton Sceviour scooped up by a team and given lots of minutes and opportunity.. because last night I picked him up in my keeper league, without knowing he’d soon be on waivers (it’s a rather deep league). Gawdamnit. He was off to a good start in the pre-season.. perhaps a good reminder that the pre-season is just.. pre-season.

Really though, I’m not sure any of those names scream as must have to me.

If they don’t pick up another C to hold the fort until RNH gets back then I might start referring to him as MacTambellini

Only 4 C’s on the roster is a recipe for disaster.

Someone is going to get dinged in a game day skate, it will be too late to call up a C and the Oilers will go into a game even more short handed and lose it.

They will then miss the playoffs by 1 point.

7 years of this may have made me a little cynical.

I didn’t see last night’s game, so it’s pretty easy to put it out of my mind. I do think they’re going to have to get lucky to be level in the firs two weeks, but am still picking them to make the post-season.

Why? Three things:

1. Impact youth
    2. a better system for breakouts/coverage/retrieval
    3. a coach who is impatient for improvement

5. Kris11 says:

Dealing Larssen for a C makes a lot of sense to me. Larssen will have value. (Young puck mover who is cheap.)

And the Oilers have Marincin and Klefbom would should get some games when there are injuries.

6. Its a Trap says:

Why doesn’t MacT make an offer for a suspected waiver lister? That team is going to lose them anyways and getting something is better than nothing. A late round pick guarantees we land him. Win? No? What am I missing?

7. maudite says:

2 million dollars:
    Boyes 31
    Gilbert 30

Wow.

That 1.5 mil given to Jones prior to waiting for the dust to settle on the new bargaining agreement and the random mix of contracts (miller, acton, hamilton etc) likely going to hurt us. We really did have a unique advantage this off-season roster spots, space on the 50 contract limit and cap space to be able to really take advantage right here…We squandered a lot of that. You can say hindsight is 20/20, but that’s a bit bs at this point. You could tell with the declining cap, most of the actual FA competition over said cap, a lot of things were going to fall loose right now. Between waivers and bargain bin, Talon is probably going to hobble a fairly competitive and cheap squad together (with guys on “something to prove” type contracts to boot).

8. JamesL says:

I would LOVE to see the Oilers pick up one of the top two Cs you mentioned, LT, however, after being teased with so many other waiver possibilities in the past few years, I can’t help but expect nothing at all to come of this.

9. Ribs says:

L1: Hall-Smyth-Hemsky

One of these things does not belong.

L2: Arcobello-Perron-Eberle

One of these things does not belong (possibly in the NHL).

L3: Gordon-Joensuu-Yakupov

One of these things does not belong. Would you play Hartikainen 3rd line? That’s what is happening here.

L4: Acton-R Hamilton-Brown

I hope for the best.

You can justify the first line to some degree, but Gordon almost has to be your second line center on this team with the injury situation as it is. That would push Arcobello down to play with Joensuu and Yakupov and that is disaster waiting to happen with Billy Acton being your backup center for that line.

If Eakins hasn’t sent a distress call to MacTavish yet, he’s about to be in some real trouble. They’re playing mostly Eastern teams in October so that might help, but the chances of digging a big deep hole early into the season are definitely there.

Picking up Hall seems like a no-brainer as an upgrade on Acton.

10. iwin76 says:

It’s not clear to me how Eakins plans to ride Hall with lots of TOI fits with having Smyth on his line. I know we’re short LW with Hall at C, but Hall’s going to be playing lots and lots of hard minutes. Sadly, I don’t think Smytty is up for it anymore. He’s my age for god’s sake!

11. maudite says:

Random note:

Is every second forward on the Blue’s roster a center/winger?

iwin76:

Eakins will mix and match lines, suspect we’ll have different trio’s by this time next week. It’s a process.

13. fifthcartel says:

Luke Adam seems like a smart waiver claim. But they’ll probably claim Gazdic instead.

14. Dead Cat Bounce says:

maudite:
    Random note:

Is every secondforward on the Blue’s roster a center/winger?

Pretty much.

Backes

Oshie

Berglund

Roy

Sobotka

Lapierre

Aucoin

That’s 7 actual NHL centres.

Some teams only have 3.

15. BlacqueJacque says:

These media lists are stupid.

Just flipping channels and saw the TSN top 50 players. Duchene ahead of Hall? Ugh. Probably got worse than that, I changed the channel.

Stupid big market bias.

16. Racki says:

I think the Oilers really should make some sort of move to acquire a reliable center. I would have rather had Jim O’Brien from a couple/few days ago than what is on today’s waiver wire, however. But that was passed on. I’d say pass on these too. There will be more waiver additions by Monday afternoon. But if not, the Oilers really need to do something here. I don’t really blame people for panicking a bit… it definitely isn’t idea to have 1 game of experience (at center) between 3 of 4 of your centers, even though I think that’s discrediting Hall a bit.

This is a wait and see attitude I’d expect from Tambellini, but I peg MacTavish to be more of a man of action than that. So I’d be surprised if this issue isn’t addressed within the week. At that point, I’ll be on board the panic wagon as well I think if things don’t change. One more center would be ideal. I don’t think they need two though as I don’t put a heck of a lot of stock on the importance of the 4th line with this group.

17. iwin76 says:

Then why play them as a trio all preseason? I just don’t think it’s a good bet, and would have liked to see other combinations. Hall’s amazing, but with the load he’s going to be asked to carry (while playing another position) he needs all the help he can get. I like the idea of pairs of forwards, but I like it better when the team has depth. I suppose the hope is that teams can focus on Hall thereby freeing up Perron/Eberle, but that plan was a lot better when they had Gagner in the middle.

18. Colonel Obvious says:

I would claim all three of those guys and make space for them by sending Acton to the minors and putting Brown and MacIntyre on IR. That buys you some time for the first few games to see how the team stacks up. Would that fit under the cap?

iwin76:

I think most fans have given up on Smyth but the organization still sees him as having something left. I agree with the organization.

Beyond that, I think they wanted to get as close to veteran wingers as possible for Hall during TC, and they did it. I didn’t see the game last night, but in reading some of the reports it seemed to me Hall-eberle were out there for a time? Or is that wrong.

20. Henry says:

BlacqueJacque,

Is Tyler Bozak in their top 30?

21. Hammers says:

I would sooner give Pitlick 10 games than get another enforcer . Agree with trying for a 4th line center but that puts us at 50 doesn’t it ??? not sure . I liked what Pitlick showed in the games he played and maybe Eakins gets him up to par plus he can come & go without waiver wire . Anything must be better than Acton . Nepotism .

22. Its a Trap says:

Also….. It makes me sad that you have Gazdic in your projected opening roster, because that’s my biggest fear.

23. Ribs says:

Hall and Eberle? Ya know…That might just work! hah.

24. Henry says:

I wonder why Buffalo gave up on Luke Adam. He’s on a cheap two way and they don’t have much depth up already.

25. FPB94 says:

So Steve Macintyre is back, our 4th line is composed of subpar players and were dressing a big tall kid who struggled as an AHL 4th liner.

Seems like same old same old.

26. Big Dan says:

I’d take Luke Adam for the 4th line, but the Oilers are going with Acton (and R.Hamilton). Accept it; he’s not going to play much and will help Eakins sink his teeth into the team.

I am Marco Bello’s biggest fan right now. There are players who have been told they are too slow and too small (guys like St.Louis, Eberle) who defy the odds. They have that intangible: “hockey sense”.

Arcobello has been proving his critics wrong his whole life. Scratched and clawed his way up the ranks to become one of the AHL’s best two-way players and he’s been a clutch performer in the playoffs two years in a row.

Playing 1/2 season in the NHL would be quite the feather in his cap. While I am bummed like everybody else about losing RNH and Gagner, I am hopeful this guy could be the feel-good story of the year. Seize the opportunity, kid!

27. Colonel Obvious says:

Signing the top three guys bring the payroll to just over $70 M, so $6 million over the cap. Put Gagner on LTIR brings you down to $1.2 M over the cap which the Oilers can eat with their bonus cushion.

Then when Gagner comes back and the IR guys get healthy they can get extreme about sending guys to the minor to save money. Ultimately, though they probably need to trade N. Schultz for a draft pick if they can find a taker.

28. FPB94 says:

Right on. Arcobello is exactly the kind of surprises good teams tend to have.

You can’t have a contender on top picks alone.

Big Dan: Arcobello’s shown he can play with skill. That’s a pretty big item. Can he play at speed? That’s the next step. I’d still grab Adam.

Why? Three things:

1. Impact youth
    2. a better system for breakouts/coverage/retrieval
    3. a coach who is impatient for improvement

Krueger was impatient for improvement. He did nothing to protect the bad hockey players. If it shows up management, so be it. It was strategic vision over tactics.

31. jake70 says:

I have bias toward Adam, my sister dated his uncle years back. Character family…she loved them. Finns, now try some Newfoundlanders?. He would be ‘right at home’ in Edmonton – Atlantic Canada’s most populous city is Fort McMurray.

godot10: Krueger was impatient for improvement.He did nothing to protect the bad hockey players.If it shows up management, so be it.It was strategic vision over tactics.

Did you hear Eakins diaper statement last night? Compare that to the Krueger “I don’t know what they were thinking” comment when his team came out flat last season.

Dallas Eakins isn’t going to lose his NHL coaching career to indifference. And that’s for sure.

33. gr8one says:

Racki:

Really though, I’m not sure any of those names scream as must have to me.

Haha…sucker.

And hell yes to Luke Adam…a big C that plays LW too? Fuck yeah.

Colonel Obvious:
    Signing the top three guys bring the payroll to just over $70 M, so $6 million over the cap.Put Gagner on LTIR brings you down to $1.2 M over the cap which the Oilers can eat with their bonus cushion.

Then when Gagner comes back and the IR guys get healthy they can get extreme about sending guys to the minor to save money.Ultimately, though they probably need to trade N. Schultz for a draft pick if they can find a taker.

To go on LTIR, you have to be on the roster at the start of the season. The Oilers can’t put players they claim on waivers on the roster using Gagner’s salary before rosters are set, because to keep them, they have to be on the roster.

35. Colonel Obvious says:

godot10,

In which case they have room to sign two guys on waivers if they send Arcobello down, even if only a a paper transaction until they can put Gagner on LTIR. If they don’t want to do that they can sign one guy on waivers.

36. Racki says:

gr8one: Haha…sucker.

And hell yes to Luke Adam…a big C that plays LW too? Fuck yeah.

Go *bleep* yourself! Oh wow, weird bug in the keeper… only seems to be affecting your team’s points… being reduced dramatically. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll fix it eventually…

haha

But seriously though, it was a toss up between two players (other shall remain nameless)… Sceviour might still work out, but it’s not looking so hot for this year unless he’s claimed. lol

37. Numenius says:

Didn’t Gazdic score on the Oilers yesterday? That was embarrassing.

godot10: To go on LTIR, you have to be on the roster at the start of the season.The Oilers can’t put players they claim on waivers on the roster using Gagner’s salary before rosters are set, because to keep them, they have to be on the roster.

There are any number of guys who can be placed on waivers, Eager; Hamilton; Acton; Brown; Larsen and on it goes. Lordy. THAT ISN’T A PROBLEM.

39. FPB94 says:

Yeah. Bottom of the Roster is depressing.

I’ve never felt more happy about Travis Moen’s existence. God he still sucks.

Lowetide: No he wasn’t. He didn’t push for an assistant coach, he was content to run a clearly poor 4line for the entire season and played Ryan Whitney when he had proven beyond a shadow of a doubt he couldn’t play the position any longer.

Krueger had to use the players and coaches he was given. If you were on his roster, you was going to give you a job to do. And if you failed, that was on management for giving him a bad hockey player, not on him. It is management’s job to give him good hockey players, not his job to make management look good trying to hide the deficiencies in bad hockey players.

Tactics don’t win Stanley Cups. Good players win Stanley Cups. The quicker you expose the bad hockey players for what they are, the quicker a hockey team gets better. Krueger made Yakupov an NHL player in 20 games without a training camp and without hardly any practice time. Magnus Paajarvi never looked better as a player with the OIlers than under Krueger. Nugent-Hopkins became a 200-foot player at nineteen. Hall was the 2nd highest scorer in the Western Conference. The special teams were top decile. And even with all the bad things that were happening on the ice because the bad players were failing, the team finishes 6 spots higher in the standings.

41. DeadmanWaking says:

I think Jonah was just a guy from Darwin, Minnesota with the world’s biggest ball of string. Only in his case it was a rotund, 11-foot diameter mattress sack. He’d crawl into the navel of his heavenly loft and not want to come out again until cooked by the morning sun.

Anyone who showed their face in the morning after Jonah’s bleary arrival became the laughing stock of the day. Then one day Jonah has something he absolutely had to attend to at the chilly crack of dawn, and the reedy larks and fitness buffs shivering around the water pump are splitting their sides to see him there (early birds draw ferociously upon whatever consolation they can get), so they start chirping at him and mock him for having being spit out of his whale against his will.

In Jonah 2:1 (1:17 in English translation), the original Hebrew text reads dag gadol (דג גדול), which literally means “big fish.” The Septuagint translates this phrase into Greek as ketos megas (κητος μεγας). The term ketos alone means “huge fish,” and in Greek mythology the term was closely associated with sea monsters, including sea serpents.

Jerome later translated this phrase as piscis granda in his Latin Vulgate. He translated ketos, however, as cetus in Matthew 12:40.

At some point cetus became synonymous with “whale” (the study of whales is now called cetology). In his 1534 translation, William Tyndale translated the phrase in Jonah 2:1 as “greate fyshe” and he translated the word ketos (Greek) or cetus (Latin) in Matthew 12:40 as “whale”. … Since then, the “great fish” in Jonah 2 has been most often interpreted as a whale.

Mostly what one plucks off the waver wire is a better Jonah. Ahab spits.

Without Krueger, there would have been no Justin Schultz and no David Perron, because Paajarvi was reclaimed as a player from the scrap heap by Krueger.

43. dangilitis says:

I have gone on record many times saying Smyth could play top 9 minutes, especially with the way Eakins wants his top 3 lines to have a mix of skill and (pardon the misused word) “grit.” Smyth, even as his career winds down, was not meant to play 4th line with AHL wingers, much less as center. I predict, like LT, that if he is given reasonable linemates and not forced to be a center, then he will be a useful player to this team. Top line duty though is asking too much.

Please, please, please pick up Adam. This guy has not been given much chance to succeed and could be the 4th line C/W that the team needs to push Brown and MacIntyre out on most nights.

When Gags and Nuge return, a bottom 6 with:
    3rd line: Smyth – Gordon- Yakupov or Hemsky
    4th line of Joensuu – Luke (Adam) Hall – Acton/Eager/Brown
    (with Macintyre intimidating from the press box)

Could be something really decent, and definitely an upgrade over last year’s bottom 6. Really hope Adam is available and that MacT shows that he is still capable of intelligent thought (for the last month, it has been really difficult to prove this).

44. Racki says:

godot10:

Just because a player is in the minors developing doesn’t mean they are scrap. Expectations for Paajarvi were high even before Krueger came around. I like Krueger though, so not picking on him at all.. just not sure what you mean by your comment above.

godot10:
    Tactics don’t win Stanley Cups.Good players win Stanley Cups.

46. Its a Trap says:

I’ve been praying for a trade for Brian Boyle all summer. Stepan puts them in a crunch. We would be perfect trade partners even without the Sather connection. What would it cost if limited salary could go back. Pitlick+?

47. Dead Cat Bounce says:

And Boyes scores in his first game as a Panther.

48. Its a Trap says:

I was at game 7 of that series. My first live game. My Dad won the company ticket lottery for that game and we were terrified we might not get to use it. I remember Ranford hotdogging like a pro, and Klimas candy caned one timer. Great day.

Lowetide: I’d argue that many good players have missed out on the Stanley Cup because the other side’s coach was doing a better job in roster choice and in game management. Surely the 1990 series between Winnipeg and Edmonton is one of the great examples we can name.

Once you have enough good players, then tactics matter. But if you don’t have enough good players, the fastest most impatient way to get better is to identify the bad players as quickly as possible. There is a minimal job description for a 4th line player. They should be able to contribute to getting the puck out of your own end against any line, and be able to play 6-8 minutes of EV time against the other teams 4th line without bad things happening.

You shouldn’t try compensating for them if they can’t do that. If they can’t do that, it is management’s problem, not the coaches problem. The player has to be minimally competent to do their job. It is NOT the coach’s job too coach around bad hockey players.

Tactics, by all means, once you have competent players who can fulfill the minimal requirements of the job.

Krueger exposed the management incompetence. New management gets to choose their own coach. I have no problem with that.

But most of the change that has happened in the last year is BECAUSE of Krueger’s impatience, not for lack of it.

Racki: I am missing something in the last sentence here.. how was Paajarvi ever on the “scrap heap”??

51. bill needle says:

So when do the previews for next summer’s draft begin? Aren’t the possible future Oilers profiled once it’s obvious the team is headed for the lottery again?

bill needle:

Blog’s author is more bullish than much of the fanbase Bill. Might be December before you see anything. :-)

53. Racki says:

godot10: Go back and read and listen to the mainstream media and blogosphere in Renney’s second year.

I don’t listen to the irrational “blogosphere” and MSM when it comes to looking for an expert opinion on players. Anyone could see that Paajarvi was just not ready for prime time just yet… doesn’t mean the Oilers had written him off or anything. That’s what it sounded like when you said scrap heap. If you just meant by fan/media standards, fair enough… I think most of the players through here have been on that heap at some point.

I don’t think Krueger revived Paajarvi’s career at all… I always thought there was a good player in there just waiting to come out. Some players take a little longer is all. Again, I like Krueger, just not sure I’d attribute any rise in Paajarvi’s play to his doing.

54. Andropod says:

Obviously, this is a roster that needs at least 1 more 3/4th line C and more.

My bigger concern, however, as a certified non-expert , 2nd class fan, is the connection between the coach and his team. If it was simply the regulars avoiding a “Gagner” by taking their foot off the gas in a meaningless (to them but not to the OKC fans) way. It’s not the end of the world or the season, just a flashing yellow light that just came on, and will be there in the back of my mind unless/until the team shows differently for an extended period.

Outside of that, IF Nuge is as close to returning as some have speculated, how desperate is the need for that additional C?

55. Zipdot says:

I think you’re alone on this one… Paajarvi was never “on the scrap heap”. That’s just a load of crap! Hah

IF everyone is healthy, then this team is a playoff club.

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Smyth-Hemsky
    Acton-R Hamilton-Eager

There’s nothing wrong with the top 9, and the 4line has some nice things. The worry is getting to Gagner.

57. Zack says:

Racki,

At least you didn’t add Omark. I knew I was acting too hasty… You better not claim the player I’ve been looking at the last couple weeks, I’m still trying to clear up some space.

As for the waiver wire, it’d be nice to see the Oil add a depth player especially a player like A. Hall, unfortunately I doubt we’ll see much movement from the Oil brass from now until opening line up.

58. Cobbler says:

Would assess what comes tomorrow, but otherwise grab Hall if you can and then the Newfoundlander Luke Adam.

59. fifthcartel says:

I’m going to be so uneasy watching these games up until RNH/Gagner return. If they survive till the centers return, I think they have a legit shot, but that is a huge if.

60. Dead Cat Bounce says:

IF everyone is healthy, then this team is a playoff club.

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Smyth-Hemsky
    Acton-R Hamilton-Eager

Are they?

Better than ANA, DAL, PHX and NSH?

Don’t think so.

Dead Cat Bounce: Are they?

Better than ANA, DAL, PHX and NSH?

Don’t think so.

SHOCK! HORROR!

62. pboy says:

Some lively conversation here tonight. I wonder who will be the best player put on waivers tomorrow? I hope MacT is burning up the phone lines tonight and tomorrow trying to make a preemptive strike. I really like how he’s handled his organization building this summer but he can’t afford to play the status quo card with the #1 & #2 center’s out of the line-up.

63. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: SHOCK! HORROR!

SHOCK.

HORROR.

REALITY.

Dead Cat Bounce: SHOCK.

HORROR.

REALITY.

65. hunter1909 says:

godot10: Krueger played the players he was given. The good players got better. The bad players looked awful. Many of you call that failure. I call that success.

I originally wanted to call you out about your arguing that Kreuger wasn’t responsible for the players he was coaching. But the reasoning you use here trumps anything my feeble mind can fathom.

66. jake70 says:

Lol, just watching Canada-Cuba women’s basketball, Darnell’s little sister just plowed an opponent driving the lane, spun her and dumped her….offensive foul…haha…runs in the family for sure.

67. steveb12344 says:

Lowetide: The good thing is we get to see real live ammo beginning this week. Best of luck to the Vancouver Canucks this hockey season!

Somehow I think it would look a fair bit more underwhelming than even opening night’s Oilers.

68. stevezie says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Do you actually think that? That if everyone was magically made healthy The Oilers are not as good as the Stars, Coyotes, Preds or Ducks? I think you might have a case with the Ducks, but that’s it.

What with parity being what it is I don’t think you could argue a slam dunk for any one of those teams. I think for most NHL teams it will come down to injuries and goaltending, which is another word for luck.

Now If you want to argue that injuries have already made the Oil a long-shot then… yeah probably.

69. Dead Cat Bounce says:

steveb12344: I wonder how Vancouver’s lineup would look if you removed their top two centers?

If the Canucks are missing Henrik and Kesler they would be hooped.

But they aren’t.

70. Cobbler says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

SHOCK.

HORROR.

REALITY.

FEAR.

CONFUSION.

DEAD.

CAT.

BOUNCE.

FEAR.

71. dessert1111 says:

I know Luke Adam is friends with eberle if that might make a difference. Also my cousin is childhood friends with Luke and I am hoping one day to exploit this into meeting eberle…

72. Dead Cat Bounce says:

CAT.

BOUNCE.

FEAR.

FAIL.

73. Cobbler says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

That’s a good one too, please add to the list. Oh and mark it as EPIC.

74. Dead Cat Bounce says:

I agree.

if you removed the Canucks top 2 centres they would be hooped.

But they aren’t injured.

75. Lois Lowe says:

DeadmanWaking,

Outstanding non sequitur.

dessert1111:

See, THIS is a scouting report!

77. Cobbler says:

Dead Cat Bounce, I don’t post here often but follow daily. I would really just like to know your stance on the Oilers. What do you like about the team? what don’t you like about the team? Serious question….
    just wondering what’s behind your persistence? why the time investment. Most detractors would have moved on by now.

78. Cobbler says:

Agreed. I like it. Luke Adam….Cleary 2.0?

79. Racki says:

Cobbler:
    Dead Cat Bounce,I don’t post here often but follow daily.I would really just like to know your stance on the Oilers.What do you like about the team? what don’t you like about the team?Serious question….
    just wondering what’s behind your persistence?why the time investment.Most detractors would have moved on by now.

He’s a Canucks fan clearly tired of reading the suicidal postings of fellow Canucks fans on Canucks forums. So he comes here to delight in our misery. Simple as that.

80. Andropod says:

pboy:

Shouldn’t we be focusing on who the 7th best waived player will be?

Cobbler:

Agreed.I like it.Luke Adam….Cleary 2.0?

Wouldnt that be awesome?

82. Cobbler says:

Racki,

That may be, but I haven’t noticed that too many posters on here suffer any great misery, only like myself a hope that the team will turn a corner. I appreciate the pragmatism that DSF/DCB brings, but I really want to understand the other side that is so incessantly negative. There is a lot of effort that goes into that.

83. Cobbler says:

It would be..and this time we hang on to him!

A tribute to the ties between NL and Northern Alberta.

84. iHockeyWpg says:

Greg Chase with 2 goals tonight.

85. RexLibris says:

I’d love to see Luke Adam added. Fits the age range, has size and while the NHL ppg isn’t there (0.33), it is a small sample size and as a 4th line player who can switch from C to LW, I think he could help either push Eager up or force him out.

If they claim Gadzic it would only be a good news item if it came at the cost of MacIntyre. Otherwise…please pass the Pepto, it’ll be a long year.

Watching the Eskimos melt down in the 4th quarter. sigh.

86. RexLibris says:

iHockeyWpg:
    Greg Chase with 2 goals tonight.

Conflicted….emotions….happy for Chase….but he plays for the Hitmen….oh the agony!

87. regwald says:

The thing about the Oilers injuries at Center is that with Gagner now up to 2 months, MacT needs to address the center depth. I thought their depth as center was thing before the Gagner injury knowing that Nuge isn’t ready for October 1. It’s ridiculous to go into the season with this group of centers giving the injuries. They could kiss away the playoffs waiting for Nuge and Gagner to save the day.

Time for action. If it means 2 or 3 waiver pick ups, so be it.

88. RexLibris says:

Capgeek has the Oilers sitting at 48 contracts right now. That means that in all likelihood they probably only pick up one player, certainly no more than two, in the next few days.

There’s really only one contract spot that I’d like to flush entirely in Cameron Abney, but that isn’t going to happen, Which leaves a trade for a depth (as in 2016 7th rounder) pick at this point. I think we can safely assume any 3 for 1 is off the table until rosters start to settle and bodies go down with injury around the league.

I know some have suggested that Petry will be the goat this season, and early indications (as well as the history of Oiler fans) would seem to support that, but I wonder if Will Acton stays long enough might he not grab the goat horns? If his roster position comes at the cost of an actual NHL player like one of those listed above, I suspect fans will cry foul and begin to pile on.

Eskimos find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again.

89. regwald says:

Joe Coleborne is a Flame for a 4th round pick.

Flames get Colborne.

91. wheatnoil says:

regwald:
    Joe Coleborne is a Flame for a 4th round pick.

92. steveb12344 says:

wheatnoil: Not sure if the Oilers offered anything, but for what it’s worth, the Oilers lost their 4th round pick in the Mike Brown trade, and of course don’t have a 2nd round pick due to the Perron trade. They only have two picks in the top 120 picks. It might make it difficult for MacT to flip a mid-round draft pick for a player over the next couple days, if that’s the going rate.

It was likely a Burke-Nonis thing, did each other a solid.

94. wheatnoil says:

steveb12344: It was likely a Burke-Nonis thing

True.

Lowetide: On the other hand, they have miles of defensive prospects and can trade a 2015 pick if that’s the currency.

It just makes it harder to outbid if there’s another team willing to offer a 2014 pick. You’re right though, the defensive prospect is no small thing. It’s been awhile since the Oilers had that type of currency. If Potter wasn’t injured, I think he’d be an attractive commodity too in exchange for a depth forward. A lot of teams would like their 7th defender to have NHL experience and be near league minimum.

95. Gerta Rauss says:

I’ve been as vocal as anyone, in favor of picking up another established forward-and specifically a C after the Gagner injury- but I don’t think we’ll see anything in the next 48 hours. MacT has been consistent in his public statements, he is fine with the players he has and I think we’ll leave the station with this group.

96. wheatnoil says:

Gerta Rauss:

Normally I’d agree with you, but MacT has often said one thing and did another. Most recently, he talked at length about puck possession and then picked up SMac. He said he was done numerous times over the summer, only to sign Omark or Grebeshkov or trade for Perron. He gave Krueger a vote of confidence and then fired him for Eakins.

97. Gerta Rauss says:

wheatnoil,

Saying one thing and doing another comes with the territory, it was his most recent comments(between periods on the Rangers broadcast) that lead me to believe the roster is set for now. And if I’m not mistaken, he said the same thing between periods of the Canucks game a couple night earlier. I think they are committed to this group, including giving the roster spots to Arco and Acton.

Where we might(hope) see a difference in the MacT regime versus the Tambellini tenure is at the 10/15/20 game mark-if we stumble out of the gate they will then make a move.

They damn well better, anyway.

98. justDOit says:

steveb12344: It was likely a Burke-Nonis thing, did each other a solid.

And cue some love from Sather in three, two…

99. stevezie says:

Gerta Rauss,

I believe that he is ready to go to battle with the army he has, but sometimes an opportunity you did not expect presents itself. If the perfect player (MPS?) presents itself tomorrow I don’t think MacT is the type to say, “Well I’d sure like to, but just yesterday I said I was done so I had better not.”

100. Gerta Rauss says:

stevezie,

Something might wash ashore tomorrow, and the Oilers would be wise to add another veteran forward that can play C…we’ll see.

101. Fixall with Rexall says:

If nothing gets done before the start of the year, they owe us a press conference.

102. Fixall with Rexall says:

Marincin and a pick gets you something. Klefbom and a pick gets you something better. No excuse to go into the year looking like this.

103. Fixall with Rexall says:

Klefbom could be our Rundblad.

104. Yeti says:

wheatnoil: You’re right, he’s often talked about being happy with the group, but MacT has only been GM for a few months he’s changed his mind more often than Tambellini ever has.

I think the problem with Tambellini was not that he changed his mind, but he never made it up in the first place.

105. Zack says:

Fixall with Rexall:
    Klefbom could be our Rundblad.

Now we just need to trade for our Turris. Unfortunately at the time Rundblad held more value than Klefbom holds now, so it would take a little more to acquire our Turris.

106. hunter1909 says:

stevezie: The one thing that MacT and Tambo both fully grasp is that GMs are judged by deeds not words. (Sadly Tambo’s primary application of this principle was to not bother saying much.)

Hold on. Tambo talked a great talk.

107. hunter1909 says:

It’s that ‘between a rock and a hard place’ feeling you get while following the oilers.

108. hunter1909 says:

Re Taylor Hall getting saddled with Hemsky and Smyth:

If they want to fuck up this dudes head, they couldn’t choose a better pair of total fucktards for Taylor to have to learn on the fly how to play centre ice position during an Olympic year ffs!!

LOL this team really is the gang that can’t shoot straight. Oh, I’ll naturally give them 6th place in the West like I have done for the past 5 years, but seriously this not having the top 2 centres, and fucking up Hall by playing him with the two worst players on the roster given their worthlessness in the 2013 top 6 position…

HOPE: Dallas Eakins possesses the character and talent we all fervently hope he has, ha ha ha.

109. dawgtoy says:

All hail Captain Andrew Ference.

110. dawgtoy says:

@EdmontonOilers: IT’S OFFICIAL! Andrew Ference (@Ferknuckle) named 14th captain in #Oilers history by Head Coach @dallaseakins! http://t.co/z9eXTxXLvV

111. Andropod says:

What is worse, Hall at C with a bad LW, or Hall at LW with a bad C?

Also would impotent, undeveloped MPS be a better bet than aging Smyth?

And with the “3 pairs” do we have 3 scoring lines or no scoring lines?

Just wondering…….