SONNY ON THE CAUSEWAY (THOSE GOLDEN BEARS)

The Hall to play center stories are all over, even though it’s old news (Hall mentioned this miles back). Something that is news (or clarification) came from a Terry Jones article:

• Nuge: “I have no idea how long it’s going to be. I have to talk to doctors later this week. I haven’t even talked to (MacTavish). It could change. Whenever it is, we want to make sure it’s 100%.”

It could change! That’s the point I’ve been trying to make since Sunday when MacT re-stated the old news. RNH doesn’t have an update, and they’re running the old ‘worst case scenario’ from way back in the spring. One of the things we should be looking for is some kind of confirmation on this, it’s a big damn story.

azorcan

TRAINING CAMP ROSTERS

appalonia

The Oilers are famous for releasing their TC roster late (or not at all) but I’ve found over the years it adds to the fun. Here’s a guess at the TC roster, let’s see how close I can get this year:

1. G Devan Dubnyk: Earned  the starting job and earned the playing time, now must prove himself to a new management group that has expressed both confidence and the belief there’s more here.
  2. G Jason LaBarbera: LaBarbera has some nice things in his resume and despite his age it’s possible he’s entering the busy period of his career now.
  3. G Richard Bachman: Starter in OKC and first callup to the show, Bachman is a solid veteran who fills the  ”Danis” role of seasons past.
  4. G Olivier Roy: Roy was brilliant in the ECHL (.961) but below average (.902) in the AHL this season. 22 years old.
  5. G Tyler Bunz: A big season for him, the Oilers certainly have room for a solid goaltending prospect.
  6. D Justin Schultz: He’s going to play a helluva lot again this season, the young man has some kind of offensive chops. I think coach Eakins would be wise to ride him on the nights he’s on, but spell him when the wheels fall off (they always do for young blue, it’s a tough damn position to play).
  7. D Jeff Petry: I really like his range of skills, a helluva player.
  8. D Ladislav Smid: Reliable, dependable stay-at-home defender. Mobile, great shot blocker and key to the PK.
  9. D Andrew Ference: Calm feet, intelligent player, backs down from no one. May be mayor by Christmas.
  10. D Anton Belov: I think he may be a better defensive player than has been suggested, and we know he can bring the O.
  11. D Nick Schultz: Veteran stay-at-home defender may be dealt if the opportunity arises to get good value return.
  12. D Denis Grebeshkov: The Russian with the wandering passes returns! 2-way, mobile defender, always liked him.
  13. D Corey Potter: He’s done everything asked, and performed well as an Oiler. 2-way guy, big shot from the point.
  14. D Phil Larsen: He’s played in the NHL for a couple of seasons, seems very similar to Potter as a player.
  15. D Oscar Klefbom: Struggled at the rookie camp, doubt it means much. Mobile, intelligent, fits the new template like a glove.
  16. D Martin Marincin: Big, mobile defender who has adjusted well to pro hockey. Has a chance to play some NHL this season.
  17. D Taylor Fedun: Older prospect watching kids pass him monthly. Has ability, but it’s likely he’ll be shy of the NHL again this season.
  18. D Brandon Davidson: Fine young defender had a very unusual season. Should be in OKC this year.
  19. D Brad Hunt: Skilled defender was an under the radar addition but c0uld end up being a big story.
  20. D David Musil: Musil’s knowledge of the position at this age is exceptional, but mobility is an issue.
  21. D Martin Gernat: A nice range of skills, he’s down the list but there’s a talent here.
  22. D Joey Leach: The reason Teubert and Plante are no longer here. Strictly OKC, but he can punish.
  23. D Darnell Nurse: Big, strong defender with a nasty streak and moblility. He’s going to be a very interesting prospect to follow.
  24. D Ben Betker: Showed well in rookie camp, I think he gets a quick look.
  25. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: Wonderful young player, Oilers opinion of him reflected in caution toward injury.
  26. C Sam Gagner: I think he’ll flourish this year–remember he’s the most likely center to have Yakupov and that kid is ready to explode.
  27. C Boyd Gordon: Perfect fit center for this team. He’ll play huge PK minutes and zone starts, work at the quarry long days and then slay dragons each evening.
  28. C Anton Lander: Had a nice finish to the year and some PK skills.
  29. C Mark Arcobello: Veteran, offensive leader of OKC will no doubt play some in Edmonton. He might end up having a career, folks.
  30. C Will Acton: Don’t discount his connection to the new coach. Might end up being extra forward.
  31. C Andrew Miller: MacT likes him, he’ll need to grow a foot and do something to impress in order to get into the NHL rotation.
  32. C C. J. Stretch: An AHL only option at this point, but he’s going to get at-bats.
  33. C Travis Ewanyk: New pro, the old Tambellini regime loved him and the current group is looking for grit.
  34. C Nicolas Tremblay: Interesting hockey player. He’s a Clarkson grad, Boston pick from the Eberle draft. His skating is outstanding.
  35. C Reid Petryk: Two-way C from the WHL.
  36. C Jujhar Khaira: A nice prospect here, he’ll be getting a lot of attention from now on. Solid rookie camp. Is he a top 6F or a check line F?
  37. C Greg Chase: After his recent performance at the rookie camp, it’ll be interesting to see if he gets an NHL game in pre-season.
  38. C Chase Schaber: Shows up every year.
  39. L Taylor Hall: He’s the man. Story of camp will be his move to C.
  40. L David Perron: Skilled winger, much is expected.
  41. L Ryan Smyth: I’m betting Smyth has some more in the tank, and that he’ll arrive ready for his final training camp.
  42. L Jesse Joensuu: HUGE winger who performed well when healthy and absolutely has a chance to impact his new team.
  43. L Linus Omark: Silly good skill, and he can play with skill. Not a perfect player, but he can play.
  44. L Ryan Hamilton: 6.02, 230, pisses people off without taking dumb penalties. An intriguing option.
  45. L Ben Eager: Has a chance to make a comeback, I just hope his concussion past is in fact in the past.
  46. L Ryan Martindale: It’s go time for the entire 2010 draft (well, sans Hall and Marincin) and Martindale might be in the best position.
  47. L Curtis Hamilton: A busy fall: recover from injury, establish himself as a legit AHL top 9 option, repair 2 years of backwards travelling.
  48. L Kale Kessy: Big, tough, and ended his junior career by scoring a lot of goals. Complete wild card as a pro.
  49. L Austen Fyten: 22-year old with some skill and a physical element. He could surprise and win some AHL time.
  50. L Mitchell Moroz: Knee injury kept him out of rookie tournament, don’t know how much we’ll see him at main camp.
  51. R Jordan Eberle: Big brain, great hands. A big part of the hockey club.
  52. R Nail Yakupov: Even now, barely 40 games into his NHL career, you can see it. He’s an incredible talent.
  53. R Ales Hemsky: Surprised and delighted he’s still here. Could be an enormous part of the team.
  54. R Ryan Jones: A little bit forgotten, but that could change with a solid TC and pre-season performance.
  55. R Mike Brown: The designated fighter for the Oilers.
  56. R Derek Nesbitt: A minor league scorer, not an NHL option.
  57. R Matthew Ford: Could end up in the top 6F in OKC.
  58. R Tyler Pitlick: I’ve been stubborn on him because EVERYONE I have ever talked to (from Jim Byers to the bloggers to buddies who’ve seen him live) say he’s a hockey player. The offense is not there, he either has no puck luck or doesn’t possess the shot everyone claims he does. One good thing: if he lays an egg this season, we won’t be talking about him next year.
  59. R Erick Lizon: He’s a physical winger.
  60. R Cameron Abney: I don’t really know what has happened to his career, but he’s not bringing value.
  61. R Marco Roy: A high end skill guy from the Q, showed very well at the rookie tournament.
  62. R Jackson Houck: Tough 2-way W was injured at the rookie camp. Status unknown.
  63. R Kyle Platzer: Showed very well at the rookie camp.

THE ROOKIES V GOLDEN BEARS GAME

sonny

One of the things these damn lockouts do is rob us of tradition. The rookie game with the Golden Bears, the Joey Moss, the TC roster with all those Anson Carter veterans and Tony Hand breakout stories. Tonight’s game may be a massacre, but it’ll still be fun to take in the game. I’ll talk to Kent Simpson today about the Golden Bears side, he played in a couple of them and has fond memories.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

appalonia1

Another busy day on the show, hope you can tune in (and don’t forget it’s archived in the podcast section of Team 1260′s site). Scheduled to appear:

Lowetide_ and 10-1260 via text, your comments and questions for guests are welcome.

(Martin Marincin photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved).

38 Responses to "SONNY ON THE CAUSEWAY (THOSE GOLDEN BEARS)"

1. supernova says:

LT,

Maybe you know or if not can you ask Guy about why Khaira wasn’t in any preseason games for the silver tips?

They should have a decent team this year, and with his differing route, h should play as much as possible.

Supernova: I know he showed up at camp but then had to leave right away for the Penticton tournament.

3. supernova says:

It was just curious to me that apparently he was with the team but not playing pre-season games, I think he was with the tips for a few games but didnt play before the rookie tourney.

Not a huge deal but curious…

4. humantorch says:

Tangentially related: where’s Jerred Smithson at? Kind of expected he’d at least show up here on a PTO or somesuch. Otherwise, nice work by Tambicakes to trade a 4th round pick for 10 games of Smithson’s service.

5. Professor Q says:

I totally misunderstood at first and thought you meant that Miller had to become a mutant in order to make the NHL…

6. Soup Fascist says:

supernova,

Pretty common (in fact almost the “norm”) that kids going to NHL camps do not play in the WHL preseason until they are returned to their Junior team. What would be the point of having Khaira play against, say, Spokane only to tweak a groin or take a puck off the melon and not go to pro camp. It is not like he isn’t making the ‘Tips (assuming OKC is not an option). In the St. Albert Oil Kings tournament September long weekend, I can’t think of many kids going to an NHL rookie camp that played a game.

7. Soup Fascist says:

Lowetide, after the concert yesterday I can’t believe you don’t have an article referencing Oilers TC stories utilizing the Eagles song titles. “New Kid in Town” and “Take it to the Limit” are way too easy, but what magic could you have done with “Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks”?

If only the Oilers had drafted Seguin. I love the songs “Tequila Sunrise” and “Life in the Fast Lane”.

8. Lloyd B. says:

Just about every year the Golden Bears hand the Oiler rookies a big thumping indicating they are better players. I get they are a team and many have been together for a few years but… Why is it that very few players get drafted from the Canadian college ranks if they are consistently better than rookies in the NHL? Teams seem to have finally realized the untapped potential in US colleges but still seem to ignore Canadian colleges. Is there something I’m missing?

9. sliderule says:

I was impressed with the way Roy played the center position at rookie tourney.

He supported the defence in his own end and played high in offensive end and back checked like crazy.

He played mostly wing with BLB but did have some time at center.

I would think the oil will be trying to lobby for BLB to have him at center

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The past month I got busy getting tied to the knots of my lady.

First lesson of marital bliss: hockey investments hit a bear market (though the congregation of in-laws, endless parade of social events and near ceaseless boozing and joy may be a contributing factor).

Checking in from time to time I’ve noted two things:

1) I’ll never forgive myself for limiting myself to Decade for years. Powderfinger. wow… thanks LT. That was magic.

2) It’s best to miss a busted rookie tournament while being force-fed beach, daiquiris and delicious plentiful food at one of those all-inclusive joints.

———-
    On topic:

Favorite 70s film wedding

a) The Godfather (provincial)
    b) The Deer Hunter (working-class)
    c) The In-Laws (catharsis)

11. russ99 says:

Any word on TC invites yet? Even with Hall trying out the position, I’d love to see one more NHL-level center option in camp.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99:

Looks like Steckel is on a PTO with the wild, Raymond with the leafs and Boyes with the Islanders, Mueller to Swiss league, to name a few names off the list of possibles.

I might have chased any and all of those cats.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Soup Fascist:
    Lowetide, after the concert yesterday I can’t believe you don’t have an article referencing Oilers TC stories utilizing the Eagles song titles.“New Kid in Town” and “Take it to the Limit” are way too easy, but what magic could you have done with “Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks”?

If only the Oilers had drafted Seguin.I love the songs “Tequila Sunrise” and “Life in the Fast Lane”.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lloyd B.:
    Just about every year the Golden Bears hand the Oiler rookies a big thumping indicating they are better players. I get they are a team and many have been together for a few years but… Why is it that very few players get drafted from the Canadian college ranks if they are consistently better than rookies in the NHL?Teams seem to have finally realized the untapped potential in US colleges but still seem to ignore Canadian colleges.Is there something I’m missing?

I think part of the answer is that they aren’t “rookies” in the true sense. Very few will crack their official rookie season cherry in the next few years, let alone this year.

That and… age. College men against jr boys for the most part.

also… that thing about a team vs. a collection of randoms you mentioned.

That said, it is probably good for the “rookies” to face an actual “team” instead of another random collection of players.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is easily the most glowing report we’ve had on Musil since his draft day I’d say:

#87 David Musil: I could gush for hours on Musil’s third game. I think he was reading my game comments because he responded to every one of my concerns to turn in a very complete and impressive performance. He used much closer gaps out of the offensive end so that he didn’t have to slow down in neutral zone and didn’t give up his own blue line as often. His lateral skating looked better – enough to keep in front of people. He made strong outlet passes and supported up ice. He used his feet to get his shot around blockers. We knew he was strong, but this game got his hands on a fast, strong Canuck forward group often and was seen throwing people around and even straight armed 6’2” Jesse Mychan into the glass. His shift with Nurse in the second in which he registered a shot, made three outlet/transition passes, won two 1-on-1 battles in transition through the neutral zone, cleared Mallet (#78) from the front, and raced (that’s right) to lift a stick on a 2-on-1 was his best of the tournament (though ended with a flubbed pass). I don’t often write down whole shifts for a player, but I have three written for Musil. How about when he tackled Gaunce, recovered after Leach’s give away to block a shot, and then cleared and boxed out the front of the net? Always did his job with incredible strength and self-sacrifice, and carried the load for the Oilers often. A remarkable +1 when the team was -2.

16. FastOil says:

Lloyd B.:

Good question. Maybe the better players going the college route go to the US?

17. hunter1909 says:

Apollonia – one of the original Uber babe’s to my once upon a time clean heart.

Who remembers the Dudley Do Right Mountie Hollywood stereotypes during that border sequence?

Re MacT as GM: Everyone who reads my drivel over the years knows how little I thought of Craig MacTavish as Oilers head coach.

As GM, he reminds me of the master playoff tactician he was in 2006. He’s changed the roster as much as he dares, hasn’t sent anyone away but a troublesome prospect in Pajaarvi, probably winning this trade hands down for the next season at least.

As for the defence, MacT’s done what I’ve always whined for this stupid fucking team – lots and lots of defencemen, so when they start going down with the inevitable injuries there are ready replacements. So far since this summer I haven’t read anyone comment on this once. Like it was never even thought of as a problem/solution by anyone else but me, which cannot be possible in a rational universe.

In short, I like the cut of his jib so far. Now, if Hall gets passed over as captain, or some other asinine thing I’ll be the first one bringing the pitch and tar; but until that day am happy to give him every benefit of the doubt.

Re the team – Hall+Eberle are set to go orbital next season. Yakupov is a genius who delights us fans much like a 19 year old Beethoven must have entertained Viennese cutting edge types back in the day. Yakupov’s a genius people. A real life, honest to goodness hockey playing genius, and we as Oiler fans get to see the whole crazy development which last season started with a kid that was 100% lost out there and ended with a hat trick.

Perron’s one of my fave players. I reckon him and Gagner will be a dynamite duo no matter which Oiler right winger they play with. Justin Shultz is going to return a poised defenceman with 60 point offensive chops to go with his new maturity.

Dallas games are going to be must see affairs. And Brian Burke will load up with so much truculence that Oilers will be forced to implement their own policies, which makes me smile at the posters who like to use hockey as an ersatz social engineering dream model, instead of the barbarian spectacle it no doubt will be again, ironically due to Brian Burke.

Lastly, re Hall as centre: I’m a Mark Messier fan(always preferred the era’s 2nd line because they were merely elite), and Hall forced into using his speed judiciously instead of pedal to the metal is going to be, in my opinion a lot more dangerous for defenders.

18. oilswell says:

LT, I am assuming that when you describe Grebeshkov as being a “2-way” player you mean the classic definition, namely: proficient in putting pucks in both nets.

19. commonfan14 says:

hunter1909: Yakupov is a genius who delights us fans much like a 19 year old Beethoven must have entertained Viennese cutting edge types back in the day. Yakupov’s a genius people. A real life, honest to goodness hockey playing genius, and we as Oiler fans get to see the whole crazy development which last season started with a kid that was 100% lost out there and ended with a hat trick.

Not sure the craziness of just how lucky we were to win that freaking lottery has ever fully sunk in for me.

The kid is a gift in more ways than one.

20. Colonel Obvious says:

The breakdowns by MacArtney on oilersnation are fantastic. I recommend them to everyone. What really stands out is how terrible at hockey Travis Ewanyk is.

Once again Tambellini shows himself to have been one of the worst general managers in history. Except for drafting first overall, every single move he made was bad. He added zero good players while drafting terribly. It really is incredible.

21. denny33 says:

Lloyd B.,

I always wondered the same thing…..I get they are older..

in 2012. etc, etc,

22. spoiler says:

LT….

That’s a lot of new names on that TC Roster. I’m confused because Art Vandelay told us not to be surprised when there are only 3 new faces on the team this fall.

23. spoiler says:

denny33: Lloyd B., I always wondered the same thing…..I get they are older..University team even beats the best of Team Canada’s world Junior teams….4-1 lossin 2012. etc, etc, I mean – you would think there would be the odd Canadian kid that could be found playing university hockey…

CIAU teams are often filled with failed WHL prospects who can’t make the A, but are too old for the W. The W doesn’t have the scholarship project that the AJ and BCJHL have with the NCAA, but CIAU schools generally offer scholarships to W and O kids who are being forced into a career change by their hockey development.

24. TheOtherJohn says:

The CHL pays 1 year of university tuition and books for each year player plays in the CHL > CIS always has some scholarship $$ for some kids.

25. Mr DeBakey says:

There are 1300+ kids playing in the CHL each year.
    A little over 100 get drafted.
    The next layer will play college hockey, if their marks are good enough.
    So they are damn good hockey players

They are older, aged 20-25.
    They are generally smaller.

Playing the Rookies, they are a team against a pick-up team.

With all the “getting noticed” and other BS in that tournament,
    it might be a good idea to drop it and just play the Bears.

26. spoiler says:

I think I may be showing my age here by using the old moniker CIAU. Apologies.

27. LMHF#1 says:

Players in the WHL can’t play college hockey in the US as the NCAA is pig-headed enough to rule that this ends their eligibility.

28. Bar_Qu says:

LMHF#1:

29. LMHF#1 says:

Bar_Qu: Because of the ‘money’ they get paid ($50/wk I think?). Its a two-way street. CHL wants their rep to be great and so most kids stay here, but make sure they can’ t leave because the kids get paid and can’t go to NCAA (who have understandably strict rules about students and money because of the nonsense football and basketball create south of the border).

I’m in the “NCAA Athletes should be compensated” crowd.

30. Bar_Qu says:

LMHF#1,

You’ll get no argument from me – the cash cow which is the NCAA makes billions off athletes who cannot be compensated for the use of their name or likeness.

But the CHL is not doing its players any favors giving them peanuts to limit their options on where to play.

31. prairieschooner says:

Here is what I do not understand (okay one of the things)
    MacT has created a training camp situation on D where blood will be spilled to get to 8 Dmen
    At centre he appears to be approaching the training camp with his number 1 arriving less than fashionably late to the dance
    and very little meaningful competition and when the dust settles people will stay say we are weak up the middle with no depth.
    This seems like the days of old approach when we accepted that we are looking at the best available players.
    Could we get Reasoner cheaply for one year and have an NHL player on the 4th line who can win faces offs too?

32. Bag of Pucks says:

Hunter, very enjoyable post. Agreed with nearly all of it.

Only thing I’m not sure about yet is whether Yakupov is a ‘genius’ or not? If we go by the definition of ‘there’s a thin line between genius and insanity,’ then he most definitely is.

33. delooper says:

prairieschooner: presumably the Oilers are in this situation because that was the best they could do at the time. As far as I know Reasoner’s agent isn’t on the forum and he probably can’t talk about those things, anyhow…

34. delooper says:

Well, whether or not Yakupov is a genius I suspect he’s going to be a boat-load of fun this season. Looking forward to it.

35. Ca$h-Money! says:

prairieschooner,

Hard to say. It’s interesting though to see what’s happening in the league. It makes me laugh (at least a little) now to think of all the people making statements like “just sign Dan Cleary for $1m and we’re set at 3LW” as if it were that simple.

Also, I’m not sure our problem is our lack of an established NHL 4C… Reasoner in 2013-2014 as an established part of your roster is likely barely better than Lander… our problem is that we’re missing a 1C, and our 2C doesn’t inspire boatloads of confidence, and our 3C is a pure defensive specialist… so what we really need is a replacement 2C.

For my money, if Hall doesn’t move over, then Arco on a soft minutes offensive line while Gagner gets the toughs (with Hall & Ebs for linemates) is OK in the short term.

36. Bag of Pucks says:

delooper:
    Well, whether or not Yakupov is a genius I suspect he’s going to be a boat-load of fun this season.Looking forward to it.

As am I.

I have no empirical proof to support this theory, but I think one of the things that truly separates elite coaches in any sport (e.g. Scotty Bowman, Bill Walsh, Phil Jackson, etc.) is their ability to create environments and systems that empower offensive talent and creativity to thrive. In other words: Coaching defense gets you wins. Creating superior offenses gets you championships.

I think coaches like that look at a sublime passer/playmaker like the Nuge and a one shot laser sniper like Yak, and it immediately makes perfect and obvious sense to them, “like peanut butter and ladies”

What if Eakins is one of those coaches? Life will be good.

37. "Steve Smith" says: