The Edmonton Oilers would be wise to send Darnell Nurse back to junior. Today. Post-haste! Schnell! Why? He’s too damn good!
If the Oilers keep talking about Nurse, they might talk themselves into keeping him. History suggests defenders are best developed slowly, and despite the impressive showing (Nurse was very, very good last night–skating, passing, shooting, physical play, coverage, reading and reacting–this is an absolute stud) the play here is OHL hockey. I bet the Oilers are moving back his demotion as we speak. Lordy.
WATCHING THE TV
- Taylor Hall: He plays with such abandon, I consider it a pleasure to watch him play even in a nothing game. Had a good game by me eye, could have had a couple of points–got stoned by the Oly goalie once.
- Jesse Joensuu: Scored a goal, did some good things. I have him on the roster anyway, but suspect last night strengthened his hold on a job.
- Jordan Eberle: I love watching him because he can stickhandle in a phone booth and make and take passes, PLUS he still has that thing where he changes angles just before shooting. He should teach that to others.
- Nick Schultz: Steady. Never underestimate steady.
- Justin Schultz: He’s so smooth sometimes I take him for granted. Already. Sublime puck moving talent.
- Andrew Ference: Steady, did some nice things, including a wonderful sequence where two forwards were engaged around the puck. 900% of Oilers defensemen of the last 5 years would enter the fray by trying to get the puck. Ference destroyed the Canuck and allowed the forward to mosey on his way.
- Boyd Gordon: Ha! Put him with skill and he has 2 points. I’m really liking him, he’s mobile, physical and can pass/take a pass.
- Will Acton: I wouldn’t be surprised if Acton wins the day over Lander/Arco, although it’s not a slam dunk.
- Ben Eager: I didn’t like his game.
- David Perron: I LOVED his game! Holy hell! Lots and lots of skill but also a physical presence and some two-way acumen.
- Brad Hunt: An excellent game. I have no idea where he fits.
- Mark Arcobello: I thought he had his best game. Still in the 4C race.
- Tyler Pitlick: I’m very pleased with his showing. There’s a player here, I knew people weren’t lying to me!
- Darnell Nurse: He looked like a young Larry Robinson last night: gangly and all arms and legs, but lethal when the puck is dropped. Frankly, I think there’s a non-zero chance he makes the team.
- Martin Marincin: Remember when the Oilers didn’t have any defensive prospects? Now they’re all over hell’s half acre. Wonderful talent, he had some nice chem with Hall last night. A tower.
- Ales Hemsky: Rom was mentioning the chem with Hall. 83 is a beauty.
- Ryan Smyth: One of my alltime favorite Oilers.
- Devan Dubnyk: Played well, .962SP and was dissed repeatedly by the former goalie in the booth.
I am prepared to guess at the opening night 23-man roster. Stand back! Kidding. I do think the Oilers will be active via waiver and trade, so this is a guess.
- Goal (2): Devan Dubnyk, Jason LaBarbera
- Defense (8): Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry, Andrew Ference, Justin Schultz, Nick Schultz, Anton Belov, Denis Grebeshkov, Phil Larsen
- Center (4): Taylor Hall, Sam Gagner, Boyd Gordon, Will Acton
- Left Wing (4): David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth, Ryan Hamilton
- Right Wing (5): Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, Mike Brown
I think Arcobello could still displace Brown to start the season, but also believe a waiver wire pickup might send them both to the minors. We still haven’t seen Belov.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
This morning at 10, LDWLT is back on the air. Scheduled to appear:
- Michael Parkatti from Boys on the Bus: Impressions of last night’s game, Yak City’s reasonable expectations.
- Brandon Lee Gowton from Bleeding Green Nation. Eagles are 1-1, playing their third game in a short span. Can they win?
- Rob Soria from Oil Drop. Where does Perron fit on the club? Hemsky? We’ll talk to Rob about his article here.
- Matt Verderame from Arrowhead Pride. Chiefs are 2-0 and have an all world defense. Does it continue?
@Lowetide_ on twitter, plus 10-1260 via text. We’ll have two open segments so send in your thoughts on the roster!