STEADY TALKING

The Edmonton Oilers would be wise to send Darnell Nurse back to junior. Today. Post-haste! Schnell! Why? He’s too damn good!

azorcan

If the Oilers keep talking about Nurse, they might talk themselves into keeping him. History suggests defenders are best developed slowly, and despite the impressive showing (Nurse was very, very good last night–skating, passing, shooting, physical play, coverage, reading and reacting–this is an absolute stud) the play here is OHL hockey. I bet the Oilers are moving back his demotion as we speak. Lordy.

WATCHING THE TV

noc

• Taylor Hall: He plays with such abandon, I consider it a pleasure to watch him play even in a nothing game. Had a good game by me eye, could have had a couple of points–got stoned by the Oly goalie once.
  • Jesse Joensuu: Scored a goal, did some good things. I have him on the roster anyway, but suspect last night strengthened his hold on a job.
  • Jordan Eberle: I love watching him because he can stickhandle in a phone booth and make and take passes, PLUS he still has that thing where he changes angles just before shooting. He should teach that to others.
  • Nick Schultz: Steady. Never underestimate steady.
  • Justin Schultz: He’s so smooth sometimes I take him for granted. Already. Sublime puck moving talent.
  • Andrew Ference: Steady, did some nice things, including a wonderful sequence where two forwards were engaged around the puck. 900% of Oilers defensemen of the last 5 years would enter the fray by trying to get the puck. Ference destroyed the Canuck and allowed the forward to mosey on his way.
  • Boyd Gordon: Ha! Put him with skill and he has 2 points. I’m  really liking him, he’s mobile, physical and can pass/take a pass.
  • Will Acton: I wouldn’t be surprised if Acton wins the day over Lander/Arco, although it’s not a slam dunk.
  • Ben Eager: I didn’t like his game.
  • David Perron: I LOVED his game! Holy hell! Lots and lots of skill but also a physical presence and some two-way acumen.
  • Brad Hunt: An excellent game. I have no idea where he fits.
  • Mark Arcobello: I thought he had his best game. Still in the 4C race.
  • Tyler Pitlick: I’m very pleased with his showing. There’s a player here, I knew people weren’t lying to me!
  • Darnell Nurse: He looked like a young Larry Robinson last night: gangly and all arms and legs, but lethal when the puck is dropped. Frankly, I think there’s a non-zero chance he makes the team.
  • Martin Marincin: Remember when the Oilers didn’t have any defensive prospects? Now they’re all over hell’s half acre. Wonderful talent, he had some nice chem with Hall last night. A tower.
  • Ales Hemsky: Rom was mentioning the chem with Hall. 83 is a beauty.
  • Ryan Smyth: One of my alltime favorite Oilers.
  • Devan Dubnyk: Played well, .962SP and was dissed repeatedly by the former goalie in the booth.

nc1

I am prepared to guess at the opening night 23-man roster.  Stand back! Kidding. I do think the Oilers will be active via waiver and trade, so this is a guess.

• Goal (2): Devan Dubnyk, Jason LaBarbera
  • Defense (8): Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry, Andrew Ference, Justin Schultz, Nick Schultz, Anton Belov, Denis Grebeshkov, Phil Larsen
  • Center (4): Taylor Hall, Sam Gagner, Boyd Gordon, Will Acton
  • Left Wing (4): David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth, Ryan Hamilton
  • Right Wing (5): Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, Mike Brown

I think Arcobello could still displace Brown to start the season,  but also believe a waiver wire pickup might send them both to the minors. We still haven’t seen Belov.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

NC2

This morning at 10, LDWLT is back on the air. Scheduled to appear:

• Michael Parkatti from Boys on the Bus: Impressions of last night’s game, Yak City’s reasonable expectations.
  • Brandon Lee Gowton from Bleeding Green Nation. Eagles are 1-1, playing their third game in a short span. Can they win?
  • Rob Soria from Oil Drop. Where does Perron fit on the club? Hemsky? We’ll talk to Rob about his article here.
  • Matt Verderame from Arrowhead Pride. Chiefs are 2-0 and have an all world defense. Does it continue?

@Lowetide_ on twitter, plus 10-1260 via text. We’ll have two open segments so send in your thoughts on the roster!

nc4

108 Responses to "STEADY TALKING"

1. sliderule says:

This was my first chance to watch the so called swarm own zone defense.

It is basically a box and one with extreme overload to wherever the puck is.The defense ,center and strong side winger swarm the puck and outmanned the offense.

At times they looked like they were a little late coming to the party but it was effective.

They should get better with more practice.

2. supernova says:

I agree completely with your guess on the line up.

I wonder what might be out there on trades / waivers.

Toronto and Detriot are teams with assets that we could use to upgrade brown with in Kulemenin and Abdelkader.

Supernova: Abdelkader would be an interesting add.

4. BlacqueJacque says:

I think the play with Nurse is to give him his 5 games, see if he slips up, and even if he does well, he’ll get banged up a little bit and explain to him “Can you play? Of course you can play. But we don’t want you to have a 6-year career, we want you to have 10 years or longer. Once you’re pushing 200, 210lbs, you’re going to be a lot better off in the long run.”

5. j says:

Here are some quotes that may or may not have been uttered by Eakins at some point over the past month:

“you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go. If there ain’t nothin to be done about it it aint even a problem. It’s just a aggravation.”
    ― Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

“It takes very little to govern good people. Very little. And bad people cant be governed at all. Or if they could I never heard of it.”
    ― Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

“You keep runnin that mouth and I’m goin to take you back there and screw you.”
    ― Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

6. BlacqueJacque says:

Gas Station Proprietor: Well, we need to know what we’re calling it for here.

Anton Chigurh: You need to call it. I can’t call it for you. It wouldn’t be fair.

Gas Station Proprietor: I didn’t put nothin’ up.

Anton Chigurh: Yes, you did. You’ve been putting it up your whole life you just didn’t know it. You know what date is on this coin?

Gas Station Proprietor: No.

Anton Chigurh: 1958. It’s been traveling twenty-two years to get here. And now it’s here. And it’s either heads or tails. And you have to say. Call it.

Gas Station Proprietor: Look, I need to know what I stand to win.

Anton Chigurh: Everything.

Gas Station Proprietor: How’s that?

Anton Chigurh: You stand to win everything. Call it.

Brilliant piece of dialogue

7. DeadmanWaking says:

I always look at this and think the 9-game rule is the problem here concerning skinny, underage first round draft picks. These guys don’t have the tank to make it worth burning a year of ELC unless they are super elite.

I would change the rule for the youngest picks. Up to the trade deadline it would be 29 games (limit one recall after the ninth game). After the trade deadline, the 29-game window closes.

It’s a bit tricky because you don’t want to mess up the lower leagues. I figure this rule change would affect maybe ten under-aged rookies per season. For the prospects, it’s an extra twenty games at the NHL pay grade, plus experience that will help them adjust in their formal rookie season, a year later.

8. cabbiesmacker says:

Are those NCFOM pics a hint at what you think will happen to Ryan Smyth?

“You keep runnin that mouth Smytty and we’ll take you back there and screw you”

An abbatoir captive bolt when he’s least expecting it?

MacT — “What’s the most you’ve ever lost on a coin toss Smytty?”
    Smytty — I knowed you was crazy when I saw you settin’ there. I knowed exactly what was in store for me.
    MacT — Call it.
    Smytty — No, I ain’t gonna call it.
    MacT — Call it.
    Smytty — The coin don’t have no say! It’s just you!

9. wheatnoil says:

cabbiesmacker:
    Are those NCFOM pics a hint at what you think will happen to Ryan Smyth?

“You keep runnin that mouth Smytty and we’ll take you back there and screw you”

An abbatoir captive bolt when he’s least expecting it?

MacT—“What’s the most you’ve ever lost on a coin toss Smytty?”
    Smytty —I knowed you was crazy when I saw you settin’ there. I knowed exactly what was in store for me.
    MacT— Call it.
    Smytty — No, I ain’t gonna call it.
    MacT — Call it.
    Smytty — The coin don’t have no say! It’s just you!

I think you’re mistaking Smytty for Omark.

10. Ice Sage says:

For the Canucks, “you can’t change what’s coming”.

The Oilers looked different than the last few years – aggressive in the D zone, collapsing as needed – this complements the big giraffe-nyk well.

The ’2 D on the puck down low overload’ is great but, as mentioned, requires some adaptation once the puck is recovered as there’s not much left on the weak-side… ergo, the awkward, stacked, vulnerable zone-exits on display last night. I have no doubt that the Oil have the personnel to fine-tune this system as they already support each other fairly well in transition.

I don’t think we’ll get our usual dose of ‘pisscutting’ this year :-)

11. wheatnoil says:

Regarding MacT & not getting Clarkson:
    “You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.”

re: Omark getting a clean slate at camp
    “You think when you wake up in the mornin yesterday don’t count. But yesterday is all that does count. What else is there?”

Never saw the movie actually… loved the book though. I’ve got a to get around to watching it. The trailers alone looked damn awesome.

12. Hall Awaits says:

Oh Darnell. This guy is going to be our number one d-man by 2015. That between his legs play at the blue line to keep the puck in yesterday was absolutely beautiful. Quite the skater as well.

Brad Hunt to me has looked great. He’s very tenacious on the puck and can see the ice and play develop. I would like to see what he can do when the Datsyuks of the world are baring down on him.

Joensuu is a beauty to. Some nice skill on boards with that massive frame.

13. Redwood Original says:

Thoughts on Hall in the middle?

I loved it. Using his speed to exit the zone despite being the third guy in the rugby scrum behind the net. Really pushes the D back when flying through the neutral zone with the puck. Wandered a little in the D zone, maybe to used to finding his lane on the wing. Nice outing.

I think Acton takes the 4C role, especially because it looks as though Boyd Gordon can play with good players. Nice patience on his setup to Eberle (stopped by Lu but you get the point)

14. Ducey says:

Nice to see the Oilers initiating most of the play last night. I have not seen that for a while. There even appeared to be a 1 man forecheck in the 3rd period, resulting in lots of Vancouver turnovers.

Its the first time I have seen Pitlick play. Great to see a big guy able to get around the ice. Once he gets some more confidence with the puck, he is going to be a valuable option.

Hunt surprised. MAB v.2

This team might actually have some depth.

15. D says:

LT,

Early in the third period, the Oilers were pressing the Canucks. Mike Brown fans on an easy shot near the point resulting in a turnover. The Canucks move it down the ice and hold it in the Oilers zone for several minutes. Fanning on easy shots are the types of plays that have sunk this team over the last few years.

16. commonfan14 says:

So did Nurse get a bonus already when he signed his contract?

If so, that should ease the pain of going back to Junior a little if he thinks he was good enough to make the team.

17. Zipdot says:

Jesus, that was an overrated film….

Zipdot:

Jesus, that was an overrated film….

I had to sign in from work to express my strong disagreement. Not an EASY film, but a great one.

19. Zipdot says:

20. theres oil in virginia says:

I thought it was pretty damn good until the end. After he walked away from the car crash…I just shook my head. That scene was like the contradiction of the themes the movie seemed to be emphasizing. Suddenly, the guy is superhuman and some kind of cult hero. Ruined the movie, IMO.

21. OilClog says:

Magnificent film

“Ales Hemsky over the line, drops it back for Hall” I can listen to that all day everyday.

22. HBomb says:

Sweet lord, I had to contain myself last night and try not to think the following:

“Nurse looks like he could be Pronger to Justin Schultz’s Niedermayer”.

Don’t want to get too excited, because nothing is for certain, but holy hell Nurse is going to be an absolute killer once he gets up to the 210-220 range for weight.

And Justin was a gift from the UFA Gods. Makes up for all the “misses” from 2006-09, and then some.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

When Kelly MacDonald says: “Llewelyn, I ain’t gonna leave you in the lurch.” There was a lot of swooning happening around here.

Can I also recommend the novels of Cormac McCarthy, “Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West” being my personal favorite.

24. Zipdot says:

OilClog: Nurse yesterday was poetry in motion, I know it’s dumb to burn any of his ELC but WOW this kid is going to be a player. I honestly can’t remember any rookie D ever impressing me that much in a Oilers uniform, I was a wee tot during TBOTB, this kid is a revelation. He would jump up in the play, then somehow magically appear on the back end.. How?!?!

One of my favorite things in the world is seeing a defenseman behind the opposition’s net, making an offensive play. I think I saw Nurse back there at least twice last night. Such fun!

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Ales Hemsky: Rom was mentioning the chem with Hall. 83 is a beauty.”

Bruce is on it too:

“#4 Taylor Hall – Skated well and had some strong chemistry cooking with Ales Hemsky in particular.”

“#83 Ales Hemsky — Stats sheets don’t show much, but stats sheets don’t count passes. Made some gorgeous ones, almost all of them to Hall. One behind-the-back gem sprung the hard-charging Hall out of the zone, while another bullet pass sent the Kingston Cannonball in on a breakaway. Somehow the Sportsnet Pacific crew, which had at least as bad a night as did their Canucks, showed the pass live and twice more on replays without mentioning Hemsky’s name even once.”

From what I saw… both managed to tilt the ice and make sweet music without being rewarded. I think they created the conditions for the onslaught though.

I think if those two can keep that chemistry (without or without Hall at C) and Ebs finds music with RHN (shouldn’t be too hard), we are going to be seeing a lot of fans suddenly forget about that random comment Hall made about Hemsky once that always seems to arrive on schedule with Hemsky trade talk.

26. linkfromhyrule says:

the way I see it, sending nurse back after this will be perfect. He will have the confidence knowing he can play at a near NHL level and totally dominate the OHL/AHL. Keeping him up now would be far too forthcoming, lets not forget he is playing well in the pre-season. This is not the regular season. He needs at the very least 1 more season before he can make it in the NHL imo

27. Zipdot says:

Romulus Apotheosis: …that random comment Hall made about Hemsky once that always seems to arrive on schedule with Hemsky trade talk.

Which one? I only remember Eberle saying “that guy has sick hands”.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Zipdot: Which one?I only remember Eberle saying “that guy has sick hands”.

It was a couple of years ago, Hall’s first time (IIRC) with Hemsky. He basically said he had to adjust to Hemsky’s creativity in the offensive zone. It wasn’t a negative or positive comment, it wasn’t a back-handled compliment… it was simply an objective statement.

However, it got vastly overinterpreted to mean variously: “Hemksy is a bad teammate” “Hemsky is hard to play with” “Hemsky is selfish” etc.

In the past I’ve tried to find the actual comment and actually found it once but didn’t bother bookmarking it. At any rate, it gets trotted out a lot when Hemsky trade talk perks up.

29. TeeVee says:

I was at the game last night and here’s my take on several of the oil:

Ference: This guy is a director in his own end. He sees the ice great and really is going to help Justin get to the next level defensively.

Marincin: He moves the puck beautifully and has good mobility and vision. He gets ragged dolled by much smaller guys so he’s going to have to bulk up to make the bigs.

Nurse: WOW! He can skate, stickhandle, pass, take a pass, shoot and break up 2-on-1′s. He’s a little light but looks very strong. It almost looked like he was easing up on some of the hits he had lined up (maybe he was told to be cautious) but his instincts are there.

Jultz: He’s looking much better defensively and he definitely resembles Neidermeier with his effortless skating style.

Nultz: It really pisses me off to watch this guy gain possession of the puck in his end only to brain-fart and not make the outlet pass and then cough it up. Otherwise, he looks safe and solid.

Eager: Sorry son, I think you’re a goner. He’s deceiving. it looks like he’s doing a lot of hard work and skating really hard but the puck dies on his stick or he skates past it.

Brown: Much more of a precise skater than Eager. He’s got great angles so he usually can finish a check. Not much in the way of hands.

Joensuu: Love this kid. Skates well, has good sense on the ice and has a really nice shot (something Harti did not have).

Perron: Davy-boy looks great and looks like he’s made an easy transition onto this team. I love that he hits.

Arcobello: He got manhandled a lot.

Ebs and Hemmer: Magic sticks as usual.

Dubnyk: Plays so cool and calm. If it weren’t for the odd stinker that he lets in, they’re be no reason for the haters to be on his ass.

30. Zipdot says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Of course, the same people forget that Hall had a chat with Tambo before Hemsky’s last contract and gave the order.

Hehe, yep, that’s what comes to mind when I think of Hall and Hemsky. “Hemsky stays.” *staredown*

Thanks for the info.

31. Hammers says:

TeeVee:
    I was at the game last night and here’s my take on several of the oil:

Arcobello: He got manhandled a lot.

Ebs and Hemmer: Magic sticks as usual.

Like your synopsis . The only thing I have to add is re Acton . When your related to a coach you need to be head & shoulders above the competition and I don’t see that . In fact I think he , Lander & Arcobello all need to go down . LT’s list is dead on but a 4th line center needs to be picked up or traded for UNLESS the plan is RNH, Hall, Gags & Gordon down the middle then Hamilton or Omark may make the team .

32. Nostradumbass says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Blood Meridian is brilliant but the tome is so dark its one of the only books I’ve ever read that could change my mood upon reading a chapter of it

Nurse looks fantastic but still doesn’t have an NHL frame..playing him at this point is risking injury..2 years and 20 pounds and we have our stud (possibly)

33. Oilanderp says:

I think we are getting excited about Joensuu due to relative deprivation. I don’t think he is as good as he appears to be. Rather, I believe we see him that way because Lucic.

It’s sort of the Moroz-Samuelsson thing. We wanted Samuelsson but he was gone so we took Moroz because Lucic.

34. TeeVee says:

Hammers,

I didn’t include Acton because to be honest, other than seeing that he’s #41, he didn’t stand out.

35. RMGS says:

Zipdot:
    Jesus, that was an overrated film….

I feel I’m being trolled… Screen adaptations of Cormac McCarthy’s brilliant works have been hit and miss, but the Coen brothers did the best job, by far. I just hope the oft-rumoured film adaptation of Blood Meridian never comes to fruition. That book is almost sacred.

That, and Nurse is going to look great in blue and orange… in a year or two (please!).

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oilanderp:

I think we are getting excited about Joensuu due to relative deprivation.I don’t think he is as good as he appears to be.Rather, I believe we see him that way because Lucic.

I think the better comp. for Joensuu is Bickell or Stalberg or Clifford. He’s going to linger between the 2-4 lines depending on the night, score a bit, use his size without being a facepuncher and mostly be a reliable bottom 6 player.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT…

it’s all sample size. You’re not alone on Scar-Jo… you’ve just run into a weird bit of variance that is bound to regress to the mean.

38. spoiler says:

Zipdot: Four Oscars for recycling a coin-flip powers-that-be-will-decide-your-fate trope that dates back to the Roman era… It’s a total ripoff of “A Simple Plan.”

That trope you’re dissing is the basis for all noir–the notion that the machinery of the universe is arbitrary, capricious… and linked to the act of viewing. The Coens have spent their entire career probing and surrounding this notion from various angles and directions, teasing, exploring, questioning…

To quote a friend, they’re the Bob Dylans of cinema. Everything they create comes with all sorts of annotative froth.

While the ambiguity in NCFOM is less tangled and twisted than we would normally hope from the Coens (they chose to keep the cleaner, more direct template of MacCarthy, and that cleanness, sadly, is probably what won them the Oscars and the boffo box office), the competence required to make this film is beyond most of Hollywood. It’s a great movie, but I usually expect that little bit more from the Brothers. Still, this is pure poetry, Dude.

39. Bar_Qu says:

I disagree with those calling for a 9 game audition on Nurse. There are already too many D in camp to even bother with giving the young man time. He won’t be on the team all year, let him go back to the OHL and make everyone aware why the Oil took him at #7.

And I would argue that once Belov is ready to get into games, you send Nurse down. The preseason from Saturday on should be about fine-tuning the team to prepare for the regular season, not making fans happy with the newest acquisition.

One final thought. Everything that has happened up to this point is preseason and means nothing (in a team sense). Less than nothing, other than what the coaches can glean from individual performances and picking who will fit best with the team needs. I am neither high nor low based on any particular game or outcome, including any dominating performances.

Chuck Kobasew used to dominate pre-season. I don’t want Chuck Kobasew on this team.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: The Coens have spent their entire career probing and surrounding this notion from various angles and directions, teasing, exploring, questioning…

41. Colonel Obvious says:

Hemsky and Hall looked great together. If that’s what it means to have Hall at center I’m all for it. This actually sets up the mythical three scoring lines:

____-Hall-Hemsky
    Perron–Boyd–Eberle
    _____–Gagner–Yakupov

When Nugent gets back slide him in at center and move Gagner to the wing, rotate Smyth/Jones/Joensu in with Hall and Hemsky and this might actually be a team. The fourth line is still a black hole though. I personally like Arcobello as the fourth center. He made three good plays in a row on Joensu’s goal.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that Eakins’ teams don’t have a history of having good powerplays and the reason is simply. He’s been playing 2dman on the powerplay. That’s just throwing away goals for no good reason.

I think MacT is too smart to keep Nurse on the team. Not simply because it would rush him but because it would cost him at least one NHL quality defenseman. Considering their contract situations, not simply the details, but the circumstances of them signing, Belov and Grebeshkov are pretty much locks to make the team, and Larsen won’t pass through waivers. Why would you lose an asset to give Nurse a longer look. You’d have to be Tambellini dumb to do that.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RE: Nurse 14-15

I still think we should consider playing in SWE or similar. Did we rule that out as impossible for various arcane reasons, or simply ridiculously unlikely?

43. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The opening of “A Serious Man” is great in this regard. It’s like a cinematic epigram and it was perfect IMO.

Agreed.

And there are annotative stories at both the beginning and the end of NCFOM too. They aren’t directly linked to the action we see on the screen, but they have agency and power and are close enough parallels, that we naturally accept their relevance to the ostensible story.

44. Oilanderp says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Noone thinks Joensuu is Lucic. What I am saying is that he’s not Bickell or Stalberg or Clifford either. Hoping I am wrong, but it sure is hard to tell through these rose-coloured glasses.

45. commonfan14 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: RE: Nurse 14-15

If there are legal challenges to be made, we should use one of them on trying to win the right to send Ference down to Junior with Nurse.

Aside from the developmental benefits, some scenes with Ference playing video games with his new team mates and interacting with his billet family would really spice up Oil Change for this year.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oilanderp:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Noone thinks Joensuu is Lucic.What I am saying is that he’s not Bickell or Stalberg or Clifford either.Hoping I am wrong, but it sure is hard to tell through these rose-coloured glasses.

That is why I think we need to stop mentioning Lucic here. I don’t think MacT are using Lucic as the comp here.

He may never hit the ceiling of those guys I mentioned, but I think it will do us a world of good to set a more reasonable marker for conversations about Joensuu.

47. Oilanderp says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

We can’t stop talking about Lucic for 3 main reasons,

1. Lucic.

48. striatic says:

Redwood Original: Justin Schultz, maybe I just didn’t pay attention enough last year, but man he looked good last night. Don’t get me wrong, he was good last year, but there seemed to be an extra gear last night and some confidence to just go free wheeling when he saw fit. .

he was this good last year, but only while in the AHL. by the time the NHL season started he had played more hard games than he’d been playing in college and was starting to tire. it is just something that happens with NCAA guys.

Oilanderp:

i don’t think many are excited about Joensuu beyond his being a capable bottom 6 LW who can play up the lineup until RNH gets back.

if people are excited, it is because the oilers have really struggled in the bottom 6 LW department for a long time, and finally it looks like we are seeing someone passable.

i haven’t seen anyone suggest playing Joensuu in a permanent top 6 role, like Lucic fills.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oilanderp:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

We can’t stop talking about Lucic for 3main reasons,

1. Lucic.

“The power of Christ compels you”

50. G Money says:

TeeVee: Hall: Looks really good at centre and especially on the dot. Hey, he might just end up liking it like old #11 did.

I’m baffled by the “seen ‘im good”s on Hall at C.

In one sense, Hall is always going to look “good” – with his level of speed and skill, it would take a truly bad night for him to look bad at any forward position.

But for all that skill and speed (and the chemistry with Hemsky), it just never translated to results – Hall to my eyes looked ineffective in the O zone, and I thought he was full value for the zero points.

51. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler: That trope you’re dissing is the basis for all noir–the notion that the machinery of the universe is arbitrary, capricious…

52. Colonel Obvious says:

G Money: I’m baffled by the “seen ‘im good”s on Hall at C.

You are simply wrong about this. Either your eyes were closed or you have forgotten but the two best scoring chances of the night by a mile were for the Hall–Hemsky–Smyth line. In addition to that they had their fair share of cycle the puck throw it at the night type chances that actually accounted for most of the goals.

Hall and Hemsky were the two best players on the ice.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: Exactly why I object to the ending.The random and capricious nature they are asserting holds sway over all characters…except one.He becomes supernatural – the avenging angel who brings the apathetic, but vicious, nature of the universe to others while he himself is exempt.His surviving the car crash violates the theme…it has the scent of Hollywood.I’m surprised there’s been no sequel.

If he was an “act of nature,” say a Tornado, would you feel the same way?

My point being that I don’t think he is meant to be “supernatural” but rather simply “nature” itself, i.e., “apathetic, but vicious, nature of the universe.”

Or, I think it is your moral sensibility demanding some kind of “justice” from the film… but that would contradict the film. You don’t ask nature to explain itself in moral terms.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Big win, Hemsky plays a great game…. and Spector is ripping on him right now.

He’s also convinced Eakins is going to hate him.

Incredible guy.

Oddly, for a guy in love with toughness, he’s also convinced Joensuu doesn’t make the team ahead of Eager.

He just really hates Europeans. Really, really hates them.

55. FastOil says:

That was a quite a game for me. As said, Oilers D zone play was so much better, the team initiating everywhere, speed everywhere, it was awesome if only preseason. The young guys were looking good nearly to a man. Marincin is close to ready for sure. If he was 20 lbs heavier I think he might stick.

DD is a wall, a sheet of plywood. So calm which I think is a valuable trait in a goalie. His whole career in elite hockey has been a series of seasons getting barraged, with the Blazers and of course the Oil. My only worry for him is as Eakins gets things tilting the other way, is he going to be one of those goalies that needs action and loses focus when bored? Hope Not.

The Oilers got value drafting a goalie in the first round I think. A nice bit of draft luck (other than 1OV) for change.

56. Diesel says:

Regarding the ending of NCFOM… I recall a recent saying of “the dice have no memory”. In this case it’s a coin, or, right vs wrong. Just vs unjust. There is no balance to the moral landscape.

Walking away from the crash was the validation of the model.

57. spoiler says:

theres oil in virginia: Exactly why I object to the ending. The random and capricious nature they are asserting holds sway over all characters…except one. He becomes supernatural – the avenging angel who brings the apathetic, but vicious, nature of the universe to others while he himself is exempt. His surviving the car crash violates the theme…it has the scent of Hollywood. I’m surprised there’s been no sequel.

Whether he gets away or not, in his injured state, is up to the viewer to decide or not decide. There is still some ambiguity in this story, but pretty clean simple stuff, like this. Another one– this whole story could all be coming from Bell’s memory or from fantasies created by his anxieties.

And I think that placing Chigurh’s character solely in the box of “avenging angel” would be a mistake.

Another “clean” ambiguity–since the three main characters are pretty much not on the screen together (abrring one brief scene), they could be considered as three sides of the same character. Or three forces of nature. Or three alternative views of the physics of the universe. Or three threads inside Bell’s head.

58. BlacqueJacque says:

Diesel,

The lack of a clean ending symbolizes that the game keeps going, too. There’s always more threads to follow.

59. Oilanderp says:

striatic,

I said this:

and this:

So you said this:

I see what you did there. You pretty much re-typed what I typed except you didn’t use fancy words like ‘relative deprivation’. Then you hit post.

60. spoiler says:

The system play was notably different from last year… distractingly different, in fact, because I was trying to pay attention to individuals. This alone might be worth a few more wins this season, beyond the growth of the kids and the roster adjustments by MacT.

61. Colonel Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Big win, Hemsky plays a great game…. and Spector is ripping on him right now.

He’s also convinced Eakins is going to hate him.

Incredible guy.

He just really hates Europeans. Really, really hates them.

That’s really incredible. Hemsky played a great game. Created chances out of nothing, was good in his own end, great at getting the puck out with speed. If you don’t like the Hemsky that played last night you don’t know anything about hockey. Of course, this is Spector so knowing nothing about hockey sound about right.

62. RMGS says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You don’t ask nature to explain itself in moral terms.

You sound like “The Judge” himself. :)

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oilanderp: Let me be more clear: Jesse Joensuu is not an NHL player on a contending NHL team.

Well… neither is Hall :)

I think the book is being written on Joensuu here. We don’t have a lot of data to work with to make a judgment and few knew who he was before MacT signed him.

I think his Euro numbers offer some insight into what MacT saw. If we set the high-water mark at Clifford — a solid 4th liner to 3rd liner with size and some scoring — I think he can come within spitting distance of that with good linemates.

64. BlacqueJacque says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You know, I have a solution to Mark Spector: stop listening to him.

No, really. Stop talking about him, stop listening to him, stop complaining about him. Once he loses an audience, THEN he gets shitcanned.

65. Jordan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

He’s a small (in all senses of the word) bigot with a really big platform from which to spout off his vitriol.

I’d love to hear someone do some in-depth reporting on the man’s work – because it sure seems like he is genuinely biased and is either ignorant of it, or ignores his knowledge of it when reporting.

Anyone know any journalists looking for a story? Because with the size of platform that this person has, you can bet his response, if nothing else, would get exposure.

BlacqueJacque,

That’s probably the better plan – I just like picking fights with jerks.

66. Bruce McCurdy says:

Hey LT, you reviewed 18 players but not Mike Brown.

Normally I wouldn’t call you on this admittedly minor oversight, but you put me on the spot about this very same player, LIVE ON AIR yesterday.

So … how did you rate Mike Brown’s game last night?

PS: I can’t tell you how many times last year I skipped ahead to #14 when doing my game grades, and only noticed the missing #13 when I thought I was finished but double-checked and found there were only 18 comments. It’s easy to do.

67. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

spoiler: Whether he gets away or not, in his injured state, is up to the viewer to decide or not decide.There is still some ambiguity in this story, but pretty clean simple stuff, like this.Another one– this whole story could all be coming from Bell’s memory or from fantasies created by his anxieties.

As usual, both of you seem to “get” the artistic qualities of the movie more than I do. It looks like it is obvious to you both that he does, or at least could, represent these forces that the Coens are trying to assert, rather than being subject to them and simply another moving part in the universe. These sorts of nuances are usually lost on me, which probably explains why I don’t appreciate this kind of symbology. In fact, it appears that I object to it. Why should he be representative of some force of nature rather than just being subject to it? In other words, I don’t care for the “Die Hard” good guy, nor do I care for its opposite. The “moral sensibility” that Rom suggests is really more of an analytic sensibility. I’ve come to realize the apathetic nature of the universe and the unstoppability (is that a word?) of the outcome of existence, but while I don’t understand it, I don’t love it or hate it either. I can appreciate a representation of this ideology, but I guess I prefer a realistic rather than a symbolic representation.

Now I’m interested to watch the film again, which I tell you I was not after the first viewing.

68. Oilanderp says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think the key element here is that we have no one better. Let’s hope he makes the best of it. Career-changing times, these.

69. wheatnoil says:

From the perspective of someone who has only read the book, the feeling I got was that Chigurh always seem like a force apart from the rest. A force of nature (as described earlier in the thread) is probably the best way to put it. He seems outside of this world, as if trying to educate it. He always seemed not quite human, rather a force that once you set it in motion, it can not be stopped. Bell’s view of time is similar… the world changes as time goes on, it can not go back and it can not be stopped, and in some ways you are merely a passenger, your fate written but for a sliver of chance.

70. VanOil says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Maybe LT skipped 13 because he was looking at this. (As you noted an understandable mistake)

Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2013

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RMGS: You sound like “The Judge” himself.

ha!

BlacqueJacque:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

You know, I have a solution to Mark Spector: stop listening to him.

No, really.Stop talking about him, stop listening to him, stop complaining about him.Once he loses an audience, THEN he gets shitcanned.

I get that. Completely.

It’s just that he comes on after LT and sometimes you forget to close the stream… and then bam! Bullshit everywhere… It’s hard not to marvel at it all.

Jordan: I was going to make a joke about him being of aboriginal descent, and that explaining his hatred of Euros, but it sounded racist and contrived.

Good instincts won out here!

Bruce McCurdy: Hey LT, you reviewed 18 players but not Mike Brown.

No mention of Ty Rimmer, either. Slacker!

72. BlacqueJacque says:

Jordan,

Trust me, I understand the temptation – I make it a point to try to get Desperate and Shameless Flamebait re-banned on a weekly basis, but the difference is that Spector has a producer who keeps track of complaints and realizes there’s a market for that audience, while the other guy… well, I don’t want to speculate what motivates that.

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia:
    As usual, both of you seem to “get” the artistic qualities of the movie more than I do.It looks like it is obvious to you both that he does, or at least could, represent these forces that the Coens are trying to assert, rather than being subject to them and simply another moving part in the universe. These sorts of nuances are usually lost on me, which probably explains why I don’t appreciate this kind of symbology.In fact, it appears that I object to it.Why should he be representative of some force of nature rather than just being subject to it?In other words, I don’t care for the “Die Hard” good guy, nor do I care for its opposite.The “moral sensibility” that Rom suggests is really more of an analytic sensibility.I’ve come to realize the apathetic nature of the universe and the unstoppability (is that a word?) of the outcome of existence, but while I don’t understand it, I don’t love it or hate it either.I can appreciate a representation of this ideology, but I guess I prefer a realistic rather than a symbolic representation.

I think reading some McCarthy helps. His novels are stark, gritty and unforgiving. There isn’t a lot of sweetness there. His “form” or simply “writing style” works very well with his “content.” He isn’t flowery. He is direct and uses sparse punctuation. Like Hemingway in this sense. But his syntax also is craggy, or awkward, rather unlike Hemingway. If that comparison helps at all.

At any rate, in McCarthy’s works you often get a sharp sense of foreboding not only from the characters and situations they find themselves in but also from their environment. It is nearly always threatening. Cities, deserts, rock formations, plains… these are places of exposure to various kinds of danger (human, animal, natural).

It’s probably my own idiosyncrasy but I definitely see Chigurh as a cipher through which the story of man’s doomed quest to free itself “nature” is played out.

Also, I think the ending is the anti-hollywood ending. A hollywood ending would have Llewelyn or Carla Jean triumph against Chigurh in some dramatic fashion. Think the end of Altman’s “The Player” when Bruce Willis (as his Die Hard self) “saves the day” at the end of the “movie within the movie”… that is an ironic take on hollywood cynicism. Chigurh is a completely different kind of cynicism.

74. 9Bains says:

Hell’s Half Acre? is that the nickname for the arena the barons play in (like the shark tank, or the pond)? If not it should be, and yes I did make an account here just to ask that.

75. Truth says:

My favorite moment last night: Garry Valk saying that Hall looks to be a good young player and, you know what, Hall reminds him of Ryan Kesler just a little bit. If only Oilers fans could be so lucky!

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers GM Craig MacTavish announces the team has agreed to terms with @RNH_93 on a seven-year contract extension.

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wooo-Hooo!!!!!

Nuge!!!!

78. Dead Cat Bounce says:

7 years @ $6M per.

79. BlacqueJacque says:

I really hope Yak plays ball when it’s his turn next year.

To have Eberle, Hall, Nuge, and Yak locked up for no more than $24M combined is a monster of a deal.

80. Truth says:

BlacqueJacque:
    I really hope Yak plays ball when it’s his turn next year.

The most interesting contract will be Schultz. How much less valuable to this team is he, if at all? All his buds are already making $6M/year.

81. Bulging Twine says:

I want to see Grebeshkov play a couple more times on the small ice before before I make a judgement. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he is adjusting to the smaller area, and aggressive forecheck.
    So far…not too good.

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Truth: The most interesting contract will be Schultz.How much less valuable to this team is he, if at all? All his buds are already making $6M/year.

He’ll be interesting to watch. It will also be interesting to see when they start talking and how quick the deal goes… RNH was lightning fast.

83. jake70 says:

They are going all in with this cluster. That Hall contract is going to eliminate a lot of drama. Certainty!

84. wheatnoil says:

Awesome! This pretty much writes Yakupov’s contract too. I would have preferred 8 years, but 7 will do. So if all goes as planned, none of the big four forwards will have their contracts end on the same year, but instead each sequential year.

As for J. Schultz… I’d be hesitant to sign him to a long-term contract. He’s a guy I might want to bridge. We don’t know if he’s going to be a solid 1st-pairing guy or a solid 2nd-pairing.

85. BlacqueJacque says:

Truth,

Schultz is actually due for an extension this year (he had a 2-year ELC). Given that neither he nor the Oilers are in a rush to get that contract done, there’s a definite “wait and see” attitude. The Oilers are letting him show what he’s got (because when he didn’t have the puck, he was awful last season), and Schultz probably wouldn’t want to sign based on last season’s performance. I expect something around 4 years at or under $4m.

86. wheatnoil says:

wheatnoil:

I suppose there’s also a chance that he ends up as a solid 3rd-pairing guy / powerplay specialist if his defense doesn’t improve, but I’m pretty optimistic he’s top 4 material… just don’t know if it’s $6 million material.

87. theres oil in virginia says:

wheatnoil:
    From the perspective of someone who has only read the book…

Romulus Apotheosis: I think reading some McCarthy helps…

I think reading the book may be the key. I seem to do better with books than movies.

Romulus Apotheosis:

I think given the idea that the guy is not really supposed to be one of the “players”, this justifies the ending. I think I need to rewatch.

88. bookje says:

Bulging Twine:
    I want to see Grebeshkov play a couple more times on the small ice before before I make a judgement.I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he is adjusting to the smaller area, and aggressive forecheck.
    So far…not too good.

Are you hoping he plays as good as he did on the larger KHL ice sheets because he got less than 10 points a season in the KHL. I don’t understand whe MacT gave him $1.5 on a one way contract. Belov, who was much better in the KHL has a $1.5 two way contract!

89. TheOtherJohn says:

Kesler scored 40, plays against other teams best players and was 2C on US Olympic team that was in 1 goal final against Canada. Not meant as an insult

Schultz currently is a good offensive defenseman. His defensive game last year was atrocious . If he significantly improves on his defensive game, you pay him real money. If not, he does not get paid like Hall, Ebberle and RNH. He controls whether he gets paid like an elite player.

He was taking all kinds of chances offensively last night and that would suggest that that this year amy be another chaotic season

90. Young Oil says:

Smid-Petry
    Ference-Schultz
    Nurse-Klefbom
    Marincin

91. spoiler says:

Young Oil: Love the Nuge contract. I’d much rather have Hall, Nuge and Eberle for $18M rather than Getzlaf and Perry for $17M. If the cap keeps going up $5M every year, we shouldn’t have any cap issues.On the Nurse front however, he looked incredibly good yesterday. Marincin and Klefbom have too. With all three likely to be NHL ready this time next year, that’s just scary. Even if they are upgrades on any player we could get via free agency, and on their ELC contracts as well, which will save cap space, has there ever been a playoff team that has three rookie defencemen on the roster to start the year? For example:Smid-PetryFerence-SchultzNurse-KlefbomMarincinAssuming Petry and Schultz make a combined $8M next year, the cost of the 7 is $18.64M.Even if they are three incredible prospects, that seems way too inexperienced…but they are all so good, so it seems crazy to trade one of them, or make one play in the AHL/OHL. It’s a good problem to have, but the coach and GM are going to have some tough decisions next year.

Could go this way:

Klefbom part way through this season, Marincin next season, and Nurse the season after next.

92. Bar_Qu says:

spoiler: Could go this way:

This.

93. Lois Lowe says:

Yay for the Nuge contract!

94. VanOil says:

Sweat Baby Nuge

I realize my Oilers must atone for breaking a scared trust comment from a few days ago while discussing Nuges contract may have seemed irrational hyperbole but I truely meant it.

While many of us come hear to discuss and learn to appreciate Oilers hockey in deeper more rational way guided by increasingly refined quantitative measures the original driver remains Fandom.

Fandom is an analogism for religion in its irrational Faith, Idolatry and Passion. The trading/sale of Gretzky was one of the greatest breaches of this trust any fan could ever imagine.

We as Oilers fans are scared by this deeply and the past 7 years have not helped. Our faith has been tested, our idols deemed unworthy or about to leave, whether it was true or not.

And now Sweat Baby Nuge gives us a hope of deliverance. Our idols are staying! and more will surely decide to as well. I can not promise deliverance but hope an faith have been restored.

Sweat Baby Nuge

95. VanOil says:

spoiler: Could go this way:

Music

96. Bag of Pucks says:

Young Oil:
    … has there ever been a playoff team that has three rookie defencemen on the roster to start the year? .

97. Bag of Pucks says:

98. spoiler says:

Bag of Pucks: Don’t know if it’s happened in the NHL, but Bill Walsh started three rookies in the secondary for the 49ers (Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson) the year the Niners won their first Super Bowl. Apples and oranges I know, but secondary players are the last line of defense in the NFL and the conventional wisdom at the time believed that you worked rookies into the lineup slowly if at all.

There were times in 80-81 when the Oil had two rookies and two one-year defensemen in the line-up, IIRC.

99. Hockeyman 99 says:

Nuge 7 years 42 million. Awesome!

100. spoiler says:

Bag of Pucks: The optimist in me says the longterm contracts for Hall, Eberle, Nuge and surely Yakupov and Schultz to come set this team up to be ‘competitive’ for a good long window. The pessimist in me says this is shaping up to give the GM very little flexibility in terms of tweaking the lineup for a Cup run or two should one or more of these developing players suffer significant injury or fail to reach their expected ceiling, That, to me, seems to be the value of the bridge contract. It potentially eats up more Cap space in the longrun but at least it buys you the time to fully assess which young prospects will produce (no guarantee they all will) and as a result, what they’d likely command on the open market. I don’t understand why you don’t at the least let the Nuge return from shoulder surgery to assess his performance and cut this deal mid-season when you have more data on which to assess his potential ceiling vs. Hall and Ebs. Neither Eberle or RNH had stellar years last season. MacT seems to be banking a lot on the belief that the offense is going to experience a serious production increase under Eakins and thus the time to buy UFA years is now before the Nuge’s stats go stratospheric by the Oly break. Coming off shoulder surgery, that seems very optimistic and smacks of the type of wishful thinking that didn’t pan out last season with the Eberle extension (albeit those are only early returns). Hopefully they’re luckier the 2nd time out. Why doesn’t this team wait a little longer (i.e. at least until after the flop) before they push all in? Why does this management team seem to consistently pay for potential instead of production?

RNH’s performance in his draft year and draft+1 are near the best in the NHL over the past couple of decades, ranking higher than Hall on a PPG basis. See the chart posted on ON here:

And, significant injury provides its own cap space.

101. spoiler says:

Press conference coming at 4:30pm MDT to announce the signing, per TSN.

102. russ99 says:

BlacqueJacque,

Justin played a solid defensive game last night, including during PK’s. And when he makes his plays where he pushes up on offense, he has a much better cover defenseman in Ference this year.

The only bad thing I saw from him last night is he’s a bit slow covering a lot of room to get back on defense, and that could be lack of conditioning which is what preseason is for.

Maybe we can sign Schultz to a bridge contract where the first few years are lower that the #1 picks, and the last few years are closer to them.

I’m afraid that after Yak is done this season he’ll earn more than all of them.

103. Lucinius says:

Little bit more money than I’d like for Nuge (was hoping for 7-8 years at 5.75 mil per), but I was expecting he’d get the same money as Hall and Eberle. Still, if he can stay healthy (go robot shoulder!) there’s a good chance he makes that contract into a value contract in no more than two or three years.

Similarly I expect Yakupov to sign a 8 year, 48 million dollar deal (I say 8 years because of Yak’s personality driving him to sign that extra year) and J. Schultz to sign something like a 4 year, 4.75 million dollar deal.

104. spoiler says:

My God!!!

Why is Baby Nuge’s arm not in a sling!!!

Lol.

105. BlacqueJacque says:

Nuge still on schedule for a Nov. 1 return, “give or take a few days” but the Oilers plan on being cautious. Apparently this isn’t Sheldon Souray’s hands.

106. delooper says:

Bag of pucks: what you’re talking about is “good team problems”. The Oilers at least have a core now. For the past 6 years or so they have not.

107. OilClog says:

How does Aaron Ward even talk contracts.. Why does TSN subject us to this.. Oh well now they have to sign Yakupov to the same and what about Schultz.. What happened to Dreger, sad sight.

If it forces Yak to accept nothing more then 6million.. Praise Jeebus.

108. prairieschooner says:

I watched the game last night but honestly could have shut it off after the first 12.5 minutes.
    Why couldn’t the oilers get at least one goal in the rest of the game?