An emotional Darnell Nurse was one of four players reassigned after last night’s game. His impressive showing made it more difficult to send him down, but this was absolutely the right call.
ALMOST SOLD OUT (less than 10 left!)
THE CERTAIN OILERS (17)
- Goalies (2) Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera
- Defensemen (5) Jeff Petry and Ladislav Smid, Justin Schultz and Andrew Ferense, Nick Schultz
- Centermen (2) Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (inj), Sam Gagner (inj), Boyd Gordon
- Left Wing (3) David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth
- Right Wing (5) Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, Steve MacIntyre
There are rampant internet rumors suggesting Ryan Jones will be placed on waivers (mostly because he apparently deleted his twitter account) which reminds me of the story last night told by coach Dallas Eakins. After arriving in town and talking about fitness (then taking the doughnuts from the media room), he went grocery shopping. As he placed items in his buggy, he noticed people were looking at WHAT he was buying. Hilarious. Edmonton and its hockey team don’t have normal boundaries.
THE UNCERTAIN OILERS (9)
- Goalies (none)
- Defensemen (4): Anton Belov, Denis Grebeshkov, Corey Potter, Phil Larsen,
Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin, Taylor Fedun
- Center (2):
Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello, Will Acton, Andrew Miller
- Left Wing (2):
Linus Omark,Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
- Right Wing (1): Mike Brown
The cuts from this list last night (Lander, Fedun) are not terribly surprising, but in Fedun’s case he played very well and I can see him getting a callup this season (in fact I’d suggest he would be the first defensive callup). Since it’s likely Grebeshkov and Potter will be placed on IR, we have the D list this morning (the 5 men in “certain” category plus Belov and Larsen). I like the blue, especially if Belov turns out to be as good as he looks in a small glimpse.
Lander has been disappointing this camp, and lost a job there for the taking. Not much else to say. Will Acton beat him fair and square, I’m not certain he’s good enough to play in the NHL over a long period but he’s won the day. Arcobello gets the Gagner slot, unless the club decides to make a deal/waiver claim.
THE OUTSIDERS (1)
- Goalies (0):
Richard Bachman, Olivier Roy, Tyler Bunz, Ty Rimmer
- Defensemen (0):
Brad Hunt, Martin Gernat, Brandon Davidson, David Musil, Darnell Nurse, Joey Leach
- Centermen (0):
Ryan Martindale, CJ Stretch, Travis Ewanyk
- Left Wing (1): Curtis Hamilton,
Austin Fyten, Kale Kessy, Mitchell Moroz, Jujhar Khaira
- Right Wing (0):
Tyler Pitlick, Matt Ford, Derek Nesbitt, Cameron Abney
Nurse was the last man off this island, and I do believe that’s a reflection of his skills. Make no mistake, this was absolutely the right call on Nurse, but I do think he’s going to be here sooner than later. This gives him a chance to impact juniors and return a year from now stronger and more experienced.
- Darnell Nurse: I think this guy is going to be an outstanding NHL player, we could see glimpses of the future in every game. Rangy, smooth, creative, good footspeed. If I knew him, I’d tell him Larry Robinson played in the AHL at age 20, and then another half season at 21 before being called up to the NHL. Defense is a tough, tough position.
- Tyler Pitlick: I think this was an extremely important camp for him. Pitlick arrived on the outskirts of prospect status and impressed the new coach immensely. Now, he needs to show some offensive ability in OKC, and hope for a callup sometime this season. No Oiler pro prospect improved his lot more than Pitlick during this training camp.
- Taylor Fedun: He did everything he could, the competition was too great. He’s behind the starting 7, plus the two who will be on IR to start the season. History teaches us he’ll play in the NHL during the season.
- Anton Lander: When you’re sent down this early on a team in dire need of men who play your position, you haven’t shown enough. Whatever this season holds, Anton Lander did not begin the year in a good way.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A busy show today, lots to discuss. Scheduled to appear:
- Michael Parkatti from the Boys on the Bus. We’ll discuss last night’s shot differential, the Acton Corsi, and what he’s observed during training camp and pre-season.
- Dustin Schwartz from the Hockey Program. A day after I called goalies crazy, Dustin kindly agrees to come on the show and discuss development of the one position hockey fans remain mostly indifferent towards. It’s a tough gig, but Dustin is up to the challenge!
- Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey. He’ll also defend goalies–specifically Dubynk–and we’ll talk about the Oilers in pre-season, Fedun’s demotion, Pitlick’s fall and Hall at center.
- Jeff Krushell will talk about recovering from eye injuries/severe injuries and the Pittsburgh Pirates!
- Corey Graham Oil Kings PBP. We’ll talk about opening night, Kristians Pelss remembered and Lazar/Reinhart return.
THE PROJECTED ROSTER
- Goalies (2) Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera
- Defensemen (7) Jeff Petry and Ladislav Smid, Justin Schultz and Andrew Ference, Nick Schultz and Anton Belov, Phil Larsen
- Centermen (4) Taylor Hall, Boyd Gordon, Mark Arcobello, Will Acton
- Left Wing (5) David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth, Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
- Right Wing (5) Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ales Hemsky, Mike Brown, Steve MacIntyre
- Injured: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner, Corey Potter, Denis Grebeshkov