THE GOLDEN BEARS (ROOKIES G4)

The Oilers rookies have been driving across town for a couple of decades now on and off to play the University  of Alberta Golden Bears. I don’t recall a lesser Oiler team than this one , this is taking a plastic knife to a gunfight.

THE LINEUP

• L1 Roy-Fyten-Miller
  • L2 Schaber-Baddock-Chase
  • L3 Petryk-Kessy-Platzer
  • L4 Ewanyk-Bilcke-Abney
  • D1 Nurse-Davidson
  • D2 Klefbom-Leach
  • D3 Marincin-Betker
  • G1 Rimmer

Meh. I really like Roy and Chase has shown well, but the big man Khaira doesn’t get a game. There are 9 forwards tonight who will have a hard time  getting good things done and I’m being kind to Miller in including him.

The blueline is interesting. I’ll say 7-3 Bears.

A quick note

strickland

91 Responses to "THE GOLDEN BEARS (ROOKIES G4)"

1. OilClog says:

This isn’t going to be pretty tonight.. 8-0

Brownlee banned me from the Nation due to my inability to accept his continuously negative coverage of the everything that is Oiler. I would just like to say LT, you do a superb job of bringing endless information and delight about the team I’ve loved everyday of my life. Yourself and the fellow commentators here have increased my hockey IQ a kazillion times over.. Thank you. Let the positivity rule the day! this is the best the team has looked in… well.. lets not think that far back.

2. Kris11 says:

That forward lineup is ugly town.

Platzer – Petryk – Kessy
    Bilcke – Ewanyk – Abney
    Miller – Roy – Fyten
    Chase – Schaber – Baddock

Miller has shown awfully, but looks like an average player at this tweener level,IMO Roy and Chase are decent-esque prospects and are a little above average players at this level.

The rest (most of the lineup )t are way below average at this level. A few might be very lucky to have an AHL career of some kind, but mostly ECHL’ers and Japan League bottom 6′ers.

3. Easilee says:

If there is anyone in the Edmonton media market with thinner skin than Robin Brownlee, I haven’t seen them. I was blocked on twitter for asking what the last hard hitting question he had asked was after he took a run at Gene Principe for lobbing softballs. I realize its tougher now than it was when the only way to argue with a guy like that was a letter to the editor, but really, have some courage.

As for the game, it will be tough for these boys, but on a positive, I watched Ty Rimmer play against the Rebels last year and he was fantastic. so maybe theres a chance. Also looking forward to more Chase. When he was with Team Alberta in Canada Winter games a couple of years ago he took some really stupid penalties that probably cost them at shot at the gold medal game. Hopefully he has figured out where the line is, and only crosses it occasionally. If he does, he could be very valuable moving forward. This also might be a better environment for Miller to shine.

4. iHockeyWpg says:

Any info from the Edmonton sports radio shows today as to why Khaira is not in the line up tonight??

5. B S says:

iHockeyWpg,

Probably just his turn to rotate out. I think they’ve been trying to get each player 3 games, and maybe to see if anyone else on the team can hold possession of the puck in the opposing zone.

6. RexLibris says:

Woywitka. If I recall correctly he, Lynch and Hemsky were the three “coveted assets” the Oilers were after in that ’01 draft, according to Prendergast, and was a part of the Comrie deal, and later the Pronger deal.

Seemed like a good prospect at the time.

*checked the intertubes and Woywitka was traded along with the picks that became Schremp and Syvret for Comrie, and then was moved along with Brewer and Lynch for Pronger.

7. B S says:

Don’t see this game ending well. 7-2 would be optimistic, maybe 5-0. I just don’t see these forwards scoring against an established team of men. Oilclog is probably more realistic with his prediction.

8. theres oil in virginia says:

OilClog,
    Easilee,
    I’ve recently banned myself from his ON articles. I doubt that I’m the only one. I don’t mind rough around the edges and blunt (I’m rough around the edges and blunt), but the guy seems like he’s having a slow-onset meltdown.

9. justDOit says:

Can we sneak Petry in for Petryk? I mean, it’s close – and it would be BOLD!

justDOit:
    Can we sneak Petry in for Petryk? I mean, it’s close – and it would be BOLD!

I’m surprised they didn’t add someone to tonight’s roster.

11. OilClog says:

theres oil in virginia:
    OilClog,
    Easilee,

you would figure being a windshield guy, he wouldn’t have such a cracked view..

12. fifthcartel says:

Gernat at LW interests me.

fifthcartel:
    Gernat at LW interests me.

What?

14. fifthcartel says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 19m

New Oilers Rookies lines: Fyten-Roy-Platzer, Kessy-Petryk-Chase, Baddock-Schaeber-Abney, Gernat-Ewanyk-Bilckie

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 22m

There is a chance Andrew Miller might be out for Oilers Rookies vs. Golden Bears…if so Martin Gernat will play the wing

15. iHockeyWpg says:

fifthcartel,

Ya didn’t CLR the lines ala Lowetide. ;) Just kidding. Gernat at forward is interesting for sure but I’m thinking it will be a disaster.

16. supernova says:

Those are some brutal Forward lines.

We knew the depth of prospects was on Defence so we should evaluate this game on how the defence plays.

This is a much bigger game in the eyes of U of A anyhow, they win and they walk around with this win for years. Not to play down CIS but who doesn’t like to try and beat a bunch of almost professionals.

fifthcartel:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 19m

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 22m

Cool! Thanks Fifth! I have something to look forward to!

18. Manitoba Oilers says:

Is the game going to be streamed again

Manitoba Oilers:
    Is the game going to be streamed again

Looks like the Oilers website will have it.

20. Truth Movement says:

Re: Brownlee

Never in my life have I seen an online personality with such a thin skin. Dude banned me on Twitter for disagreeing with his take that Jeff Petry was the goat last season. This is exactly what I wrote:

@Robin_Brownlee yeah, all Petry did was put up huge minutes in all situations and be a plus player on cheap contract. The bum.

that’s it.

Anyway, his conduct on ON is embarrassing. He will be insulting to his readers, but can’t handle any level of good-natured ribbing (I don’t even think what I wrote qualifies as ribbing). Anyway, I’m pretty tired of his schtick.

21. FastOil says:

Gernat – funny how we all see things. Many seem to think Gernat needs to be a forward because he might be weak at D positioning now, etc., like Burns.

To me, I see a prospect who gives signs of being Chara-esque. Burns is well into his NHL career and got switched. Gernat is a kid, and from my take might need a bit of time to mature both cranially and physically.

What is very interesting is that he already does what is magic – gets shots through. With his height, mobility, eastern European background (potential for some edge and certainly not backing down), and love of the net, he could be something. Really something.

22. justDOit says:

Truth Movement,

I’ve generally avoided his links since he gave me similar treatment a while ago. If I want that kind of schtick, I’ll watch Bill O’Really. Yes, I meant that.

23. justDOit says:

Lowetide: I’m surprised they didn’t add someone to tonight’s roster.

Well, we both got our BOLD move for tonight’s game! I might watch this now.

24. fifthcartel says:

Chase haha.

Chase with a goal, 1-1 score.

26. striatic says:

it is odd to see the Oilers have more size than the other team.

27. iHockeyWpg says:

So, is Gernat in or out? No access to live stream. Tks

28. delooper says:

Gernat is playing left wing.

29. Young Oil says:

2-1 Baddock scores! They’re looking better than I thought they would! I wonder if MacT suggested putting Gernat at forward…

2-1 Oil rookies. Baddock (Ewanyk, Abney) this time. Abney was on the ice during the play. (BREAKING NEWS)

31. delooper says:

Did Randy Gregg play a role in starting these games between the Oilers and the U of A team? Anyone know how it got started?

Roy just did a thing behind the Oiler rookie net. Oh my.

33. justDOit says:

Austin seems to be Fyten the puck tonight.

Nurse nice play ther.e

35. Young Oil says:

Nurse seems like the kind of player who always wants to make something happen when he’s on the ice. You always notice him when he’s on the ice, not always in a good way though. Lots of risky plays.

36. justDOit says:

And in the latest installment of, ‘Things play-by-play guys get tricked into saying’: … and that’s squeezed by Bunz…

Nurse is having anice period here. Almost scored there. Roy as well. Good period for the kids!

38. justDOit says:

I didn’t expect this pace, or intensity. Great stuff!

39. LMHF#1 says:

How does Gernat look on the wing? If I’d known I would’ve been there.

40. jp says:

Just got home and missed most of the 1st. Good to see the kids having a decent game, especially with such an ugly looking roster.

Anything notable about Gernat at LW? I guess not since it hasn’t been mentioned one way or the other.

And wtf Woywitka. It’s been a while, but he hung around the NHL for quite a bit (30 years old and 278 NHL GP). Doesn’t look like there’s much space in the Oilers top 10 D, but he’d be huge for the young Barons if he makes it through waivers (which looks like a good bet).

41. bookje says:

Every time Taylor Hall plays centre a Fairy dies!

42. Zipdot says:

bookje: Every time Taylor Hall plays centre a Fairy dies!

Well, that’s the opposite of an angel getting his wings…

43. Zipdot says:

The UofA game is the only one in my life where I cheer against the good guys. U of A forever.

44. iHockeyWpg says:

Kadri signs. How the heck can we get Franson out of TO?

45. Kris11 says:

Klefbom has some nice passing.

46. Kris11 says:

Looking better.

47. Kris11 says:

Oh Bunz.

There are weak goals, but that is…

48. Rebilled says:

No squeezed Bunz on that one.

49. Dead Cat Bounce says:

bookje:
    Every time Taylor Hall plays centre a Fairy dies!

Don’t answer the phone if you see Brian Burke on call display. :)

50. Kris11 says:

It went through a whole in Bunz.

51. Kris11 says:

Better by Klefbom. Better.

52. VanOil says:

Bunz is not filling me with hope for his future. Kelfbom with 40+ games in the AHL is.

53. Young Oil says:

Gernat actually isn’t terrible on the wing! Might be worth looking into…

54. justDOit says:

Kris11:
    It went through a whole in Bunz.

Now they yanked Bunz and inserted Rimmer. That would get me banned, elsewhere.

55. Kris11 says:

Nurse is just having fun. A lot to learn about being a careful Dman, but lots of talent. Maybe he isn’t trying to play cautious, NHL-style game.

56. Kris11 says:

Bunz has a hole, so Rimmer in.

57. VanOil says:

Gernat’s skating is a joy to watch wing or on D

58. Ice Sage says:

Them Bunz sound more like Bagelz

59. Kris11 says:

Ewanyk is unable to pass and take passes at this level. He will never have an NHL career or much of an AHL career unless he fixes that, and no one fixes that, really.

60. Kris11 says:

Klefbom with a nice rush out of the zone.

61. VanOil says:

I feel ready to predict Marco Roy will go back to the Q and put up some special numbers. I am also ready to predict that should Chase ever make the NHL he will be a fan favorite.

I think this is a better pace for this bunch. A little extra time and the guys who are skilled enough to play the game are shining through (Klefbom, great play). The Oilers haven’t got enough skill players at forward, opportunity missed imo.

63. LMHF#1 says:

Kris11:

To the surprise of nobody who has seen him play aside from the Oilers scouts, apparently.

64. B S says:

Gernat’s been forgettable as a winger, but at least he’s not awful (like half the other forwards), and I’ve been impressed with his ability to switch to D for a few shifts without really losing a beat. Haven’t noticed Marincin, or Klefbom much (Klefbom’s gradually looked better the last couple of games, but definitely needs at least a year in the AHL), But Nurse has been all over (both good and bad, and lots of fun to watch tonight). He’s going to have to fix his play style though. I get the feeling he gets away with a lot of questionable positioning and plays just because he’s so damn big and fast that he can make up for it. That stuff won’t fly in The Bigs.

65. Numenius says:

justDOit: Now they yanked Bunz and inserted Rimmer. That would get me banned, elsewhere.

Coach Nelson said before the game they’d each play half, so switching in the middle of the 2nd was the plan from the beginning.

iHockeyWpg:
    Kadri signs.How the heck can we get Franson out of TO?

Franson sucks.

He’s really only a 3rd pairing quality defender who was gifted a lot of power play time last year, and he is trying to find a sucker willing to pay him for those power play boxcars. Justin Schultz basically has the Franson role on the Oilers.

Even Franson knows this, because he opted out of arbitration. He knew he could not argue his case before an arbitrator.

Nurse with a beauty rush and pass and then Chase with a nice setup.

68. VanOil says:

4 years from now, in the unlikely event they all make it, Marncin, Gernat, Nurse and Kelfbom. Would make a towering highly mobile d-core. They look like monsters out there.

69. RexLibris says:

Just my opinion, but I think there is more to be taken from this rookie game with regards to evaluation than the Penticton tourney. How a prospect deals with a system-play and a structured team is more informative to me than a collection of variously talented individuals.

70. Kris11 says:

From what I’ve seen tonight, I’d say Klefbom has a shot at an NHL spot early on in the season, though he has to show a good positional game at big-kids camp.

71. Rebilled says:

Cleary going to Flyers for 3 years as per TSN. $2.75 mil per season.

72. RexLibris says:

Klefbom is gassed and desperate to get off.

73. Nightman_ says:

RexLibris,

Did Klefbom get elbowed? He didnt get up for a bit.

74. OilLeak says:

Feed go out?

75. justDOit says:

RexLibris:
    Klefbom is gassed and desperate to get off.

With all the innuendo of names like Bunz, Rimmer, Siemans and Dyck, you had to say that, didn’t you? Lol!

One of my favorites from last season, was from a US broadcast of one of the OIler games, where the PBP guy says, “…he just wants to get it in deep and get off…”

76. jp says:

OilLeak:
    Feed go out?

Guess it doesn’t end well – they cut the feed out early…

77. Zipdot says:

DA BEARS!

Also:

KLEFBUM

78. justDOit says:

jp,

I watched it all. The play that Nurse made in his own end, trying to move the puck out with the goalie pulled, was almost CFP-like. Great game.

79. Zipdot says:

justDOit: Bunz, Rimmer, Siemans and Dyck,

I just had a big juvenile laugh and my girlfriend was decidedly unimpressed. :P So I giggled more.

80. Manitoba Oilers says:

Rebilled:
    Cleary going to Flyers for 3 years as per TSN. $2.75 mil per season.

Yes yesterday now wake up.

81. Rebilled says:

Manitoba Oilers,

Yes, indeed.

82. jp says:

justDOit:
    jp,

Cool – would have been nice to see it. Nurse is raw and needs to tighten up his game, but boy he has some nice tools. He’s got a long way to go, but you don’t have to squint too hard to see a mean, all disciplines #1 D there.

Manitoba Oilers: Yes yesterday now wake up.

Yes yesterday. But be nice.

83. RexLibris says:

Nightman_,

I think he took an elbow. I didn’t take my eyes off him for awhile, waiting for him to get up and watching how he re-engaged in the play. A concussion would pretty much end our hopes of his development this close on the heels of shoulder surgery.

84. RexLibris says:

Much happier with this game, in all. The players responded to a system far better than the previous games and the style of play was closer to an NHL style method – meaning they may not be Eberles, but at least they aren’t Schremps.

I’m cheering for Rimmer to get a contract. Suspect he could be found money at least in the AHL. Besides, how many juvenile hockey fans would love to see a goaltending duo of Bunz and Rimmer on the Barons box score?

85. Hammers says:

Nurse back to junior ; Klefbom down to AHL at least 40 games , but I agree with those 2 + Gernat & Marachin having a good shot at being Oilers in a few years . Add Petry , J Schultz & Smid . Could look real good .

86. longway says:

I have to agree that brownlee is a (substitute word for not nice person). I’d say he’s a bully and doesn’t give the respect he demands. he can disappear from my oiler reading anytime soon.
    omark, yay! hope to get another look.
    smyth, I wish him well but hope he’s gone if his play doesn’t warrant a roster spot.actually footspeed, my technical knowledge of anything else is poor. but man he looked gassed last year.

87. slopitch says:

I’m glad the mobile monsters on D are looking good. I’d still like to see a trade that “moves the dial forward”. No point waiting on all 4. Although I’m sure MacT is shopping daily.

88. David says:

Roy and Platzer were threats to score every shift. To bad Fyten was boat anchoring that line, could’ve had Chase with them. No way Klefbom starts in the NHL. A very good game played by Betker.

89. kooler says:

Has Davidson ever played a wing…..interesting experiment?

90. Zipdot says:

slopitch,

Man, for some reason, I always read your name as “Slop Itch”.

91. longway says: