TOO MUCH HEAVEN

Every time Dallas Eakins speaks, the Edmonton Oilers get a little smarter. A recent example came today, as he spoke to the media in regard to one Linus Omark.

• Eakins: “There’s a number of ways we can load up our forward lines and there will be a great debate as we move forward on how we’re going to do it. Like a number of guys in his spot, he needs to go out and dance with the girl that he brought to prom. Don’t go out there and try to be something you’re not. I don’t think he’s a guy that’s going to go out there and run around and cause problems and be a real pain in the butt, checking guy. He needs to put up some numbers. He needs to be responsible defensively. He’s going to have to compete.”

Omark scored a goal today, and is going to be a featured player for the Oilers in their YEG game against the Flames tomorrow night. This is a guy who–fairly recently–was caught in a professional no man’s land because of the NHL rules regarding free agency. This summer, Oiler management and Omark found a way to make the best of the situation–let the player put forth his best case, and have the market decide–and he could end up in the NHL in Edmonton (or elsewhere) this fall.

YEG LINES AND PAIRINGS

• L1: Hall-Smyth-Hemsky: Oilers best player gets two veterans as he slides over to center. How long will he stay?
  • L2: Arcobello-Yakupov-Omark: Electric offense on the wing should create sparks.
  • L3: Lander-Joensuu-Roy: Two forwards looking for NHL employment along with an emerging 2013 draft pick.
  • L4: Platzer-Martindale-Brown: A mixed bag line, Martindale might have hoped for a better showcase.
  • D1: Nurse-Ference: This should be considered an early “push” for the first round pick. I’m a little surprised.
  • D2: Grebeshkov-Musil: A big test for both players. This could be a saloon door tandem.
  • D3: Davidson-J Schultz: I like this pairing, suspect their TOI will be top 4 by the end of the night.
  • G1: Dubnyk (Roy): Oiler fans get the gooder goaler.

hamilton 2

Ryan Hamilton has to be pretty damn excited tonight–he’s getting a glorious opportunity out of the box to show what he can do as an Oiler. I spoke at length this summer with his agent Tom Lynn, who was delighted at the “perfect fit” option for Hamilton in Edmonton. It looks interesting on paper, I bet he works like a bugger tomorrow night to show something to the coaching staff and management.

YYC LINES AND PAIRINGS

• L1: Gagner-Hamilton-Eberle: Interesting line. Gags-Ebs are so similar, I rarely think of them as linemates.
  • L2: Gordon-Jones-Perron: I would have thought they’d play the other wing. Either way, some interesting players.
  • L3: Acton-Eager-Pitlick: Three guys who need to get noticed early. Acton probably has the best chance.
  • L4: Ewanyk-Bilcke-Chase: Big compliment for Bilcke here, Chase might have hoped for a better showcase line.
  • D1: Smid-Petry: Top pairing going in, they’ll get more support this season and should flourish.
  • D2: N Schultz-Fedun: A nice slot for Fedun, pleased for him.
  • D3: Marincin-Larsen: Two guys who may be fighting for NHL jobs later this month.
  • G1: LaBarbera (Bachman): I think LaBarbera is a little underrated by the fanbase.

Both games tomorrow.

Herzog

WHITEY

Lots of players who have flaws but strong points are getting a chance in these games tomorrow night. Arcobello, Omark, Ryan Hamilton and Pitlick among forwards, and Nurse plus Musil among the blue. I really like this group of auditioning players, there’s no doubt some NHL calibre talent here. This team is beginning to remind me of Whitey Herzog, a man who looked at the baseball world as a place with endless abundance. He found flawed gems everywhere–fleet outfielders with no home run power but the ability to play defense and get on base; pitchers without the 95mph fastball but the ability to paint the corner.

If you look at Linus Omark and Ryan Hamilton, you can see Whitey Herzog. Seriously.

PS, I used Whitey as an example but could have used MacT. Folks, we’re going to see some Thoresen’s on this team.

55 Responses to "TOO MUCH HEAVEN"

1. OilFire says:

Having fun reading BlaqueJacques awesome commentary, but had to make an account just to see if anyone else thought this was as funny/stupid as I did in yesterday’s article comments:

Cabbiesmacker:
    And that blue? Thats about as ugly as it gets. Ference showing best says a whole ton.
    Bottom 6 is putrid.
    If RNH, Hall, Eberle, and Yak can all pot 80 pts, Perron account for 70, and Dubes post a .940 Sp maybe this might be a playoff team.
    They still have to play the games but I’m giving MacT advance epic fail marks before they even leave the starting gate.

What???? might??? What’s wrong with people? 4 players with 80 points, one with 70, and what would certainly be the highest save pct. in the league, and they maybe, might, be a playoff team…

It’s early. For some, everybody’s Gretzky and for others this is same shit, different pile. It’s all good.

3. OilFire says:

You’re right. Pot calling the kettle black anyway: we’ve all gotten frustrated with the good ol’ Oil many times in the last few years…

4. Lucinius says:

I know its still pre-early to start bitching about lines, but…

Yakupov on left wing? Perron on right wing? Seriously? Dumb as dumb gets; Omark has, in the past, played LW with little affect on his game. Same with Jones and the RW position. Instead, they have the players who flourish on a certain wing moving out of the way for lesser, more flexible players.

Dumb as dumb gets.

This is one of those things that better change by the time meaningful games begin.

You have to remember who the GM is–MacT LOVES players who can do more than one thing. The RW’s are playing LW and vice versa, you’ve got unusual lineups asking Gordon to add to the skill and Hall to cover down low. This is all MacT stuff, suspect Eakins is cut from the same cloth.

Wait until they move a defenseman to center!!!! :-)

You can’t read too much into camp lines, but it does tell you who is getting a serious look.

Aside from Hamilton playing with 89,14 I found these two lines the most interesting:

Acton – Eager – Pitlick

Platzer – Martindale – Brown

I read that as Eager has the inside edge on “resident face puncher”

He’s a better hockey player than Brown, so that’s good.

Woodguy:

Acton – Eager – Pitlick

Platzer – Martindale – Brown

I read that as Eager has the inside edge on “resident face puncher”

He’s a better hockey player than Brown, so that’s good.

“One is my 3LW and one is my 4RW”

Wow.

He also said “i’ve had enough of this “3 skilled guys” one one line. It doesn’t work”

Ladies and Gentlemen, Marc Spector.

Makes a living from having an expert opinion.

Ok then.

8. Wolfie says:

Lucinius:
    I know its still pre-early to start bitching about lines, but…

Dumb as dumb gets.

I have to agree with WG and LT. If you can’t experiment with line combos and position changes in camp, when can you?

If Yak and Perron show they can play both wings and Hall has success in the middle, it gives the Oilers the flexibility to move Gagner to the wing when RNH is ready. You already have a pretty good idea of what these players can do. It’s time to find out if they have any other tricks up their sleeves.

If this group of players can show some flexibility it gives the coach more options at his disposal.

Could you imagine a Perron-Hall-Gagner line with Yakupov-RNH-Eberle killing the softs! Or Perron-Hall-Yak with Gagner-RNH-Eberle? I’m excited about the possibilities.

9. bookje says:

I know its still pre-early to start bitching about strategy, but…

When I was watching today, the coach had all of the players skating backwards together. Seriously? Dumb as dumb gets. When, in a game does everybody skate backwards at the same time? Never? What a stupid strategy!

Dumb as dumb gets.

I know its still pre-early to start bitching about strategy, but…

I didn’t like the players all breathing at the same time. Inhale, exhale, dumb dumb dumb.

Dumb as dumb gets.

Wolfie: I have to agree with WG and LT.If you can’t experiment with line combos and position changes in camp, when can you?

If Yak and Perron show they can play both wings and Hall has success in the middle, it gives the Oilers the flexibility to move Gagner to the wing when RNH is ready.You already have a pretty good idea of what these players can do. It’s time to find out if they have any other tricks up their sleeves.

Could you imagine a Perron-Hall-Gagner line with Yakupov-RNH-Eberle killing the softs!Or Perron-Hall-Yak with Gagner-RNH-Eberle?I’m excited about the possibilities.

The last time the Oilers camp was this deep was 06/07.

7 years ago.

12. BlacqueJacque says:

13. theres oil in virginia says:

I know its still pre-early to start bitching about strategy, but…

Dumb as dumb gets.

No, you’re WRONG! This exactly the right strategy and that’s why I’m glad Eakins/MacT are in charge. The last coach that had them doing this was Quinn, and Lowe ran him outta town. Renney and Krueger had absolutely no clue about breathing.
    ;)

BTW, are we sure they were all breathing? From the excellent camp reports, it sounded like a couple didn’t have much life in ‘em.

Anybody see any signs of Eakins running anybody out by putting them in a situation to fail? It sounds like that isn’t happening, and if so it’s a big relief. His verbal sound like he wants to put people in positions where they can succeed, but you never know ’til the rubber meets the road.

14. striatic says:

BlacqueJacque: Why do I get the feeling that the coach said “loser of today’s scrimmage goes down to Calgary to play”?

indeed.

do you know what the changes are, if any, between these teams and the scrimmage teams?

15. Lucinius says:

I don’t have an issue with experimenting with lines, especially in the pre-pre season. But let’s be honest here; the Oilers are not known for doing things the right way when it comes to putting players in their best opportunity to succeed. if there’s a winger they can put on the wrong wing, they have. If there’s a winger they can put at center when they shouldn’t, they have. If they want a defenseman playing on the wing.. they have!

We know Yakupov is far better on the right wing than he is on the left wing; we saw proof of that last year. We know Perron is best suited to the left wing, not the right.

We also know from history that Jones can play either wing, but has seen more success on the right wing, similar to Omark on the left side (though with less success).

I’m an Oiler fan. Its my job to worry and panic over shit like this. Because, let’s be honest, this team loves to put players in positions to fail (or succeed in spite of everything, like Hemsky, Hall, etc.).

16. Hammers says:

Love the fact he is making them a little uncomfortable . Hell preseason isn’t about winning its about Trying things all kinds of things . He , Eakins will stick with pairs then put the heat on those pairs be it “D” or “O” . I expect this for all the preseason games as it’s the only way a coach finds out exactly what his got with maybe the last preseason game the exception . I like mixing things up but it probably pisses of many fans who have preconceived notions . I don’t like it I Love it .

17. striatic says:

Eakins had serious praise for Omark in today’s scrum. Talked about Omark scoring 5 goals against his Marlies when he was playing with OKC. Omark is definitely on his radar. Definitely think he has a shot at a roster spot, and possibly some truth to the rumour Eakins himself pushed for the Omark signing.

18. Hammers says:

Lucinius:

Don’t worry be Happy .

Lucinius: lol. Point made. Colby Cosh said something similar a long time ago about Oiler fans (basically, Cosh says an Oiler fan has been conditioned to believe if there’s an Acme anvil falling to earth from the International Space Station it’ll land at Rexall)

20. Hammers says:

striatic:

Hope that’s true .Kid needs a break from someone .

21. bookje says:

Lucinius:

‘This team’ was coached so very differently by Mact, Renney, Quinn, and (that guy from Sweden or wherever – with the smile and the German book about motivational speaking – whatever – the guy that was only here for a few months -that guy) that I think its hard to assign the ‘This team’ blanket statement to ‘this team’ under Eakins.

However, if you are so conditioned to freak out about these things as an Oiler fan, please feel free to do so – its rough out there and you have to get by however you can.

22. bookje says:

striatic:

For the record, Omark also got a 6th goal in the shootout.

23. striatic says:

bookje: For the record, Omark also got a 6th goal in the shootout.

jesus.

i’d forgotten how ridiculous that game was.

24. cabbiesmacker says:

OilFire:

You’re right.Pot calling the kettle black anyway: we’ve all gotten frustrated with the good ol’ Oil many times in the last few years…

I’m old enough to remember 6 teams Oilfire. When all my family and friends were Leaf and Habs fans I chose the Hawks. Became an Oiler fan around 96 when I had seasons and would take my then 4 year old son.

Hawks are still and always will be #1. You don’t let old allegiances fade away, but, the Oilers are right there behind them and I was every bit as excited watching the 2006 run as I was watching 2010 and 2013.

It’s just that when you compare the two teams it’s very easy to be cynical about the Oilers and it’s all due to management. The absolute worst in the NHL over the past 5 years imo. and when you have a team as your #1 that in 09/10 was the best team assembled SINCE those winning Oiler teams its easy to sigh and shake ones head at some of the lameassedness in this town.

Oh yeah and I’ll hold to the 4 80 pointers and Dube’s .940 allowing them to “possibly” squeak in. The top 5 talent level is easily offset by the bottom 7 and that d corps. Then there’s the realignment thingy. Not too many nights off there now. If any.

Oh and seeing Rimmer in camp? Awesome. Far …FAR better goaltending prospect than Bunz. Always was. Always will be. We’ll see if the Oilers have enough sack to eat one of their own kids for one they adopted.

25. bookje says:

striatic: jesus.

i’d forgotten how ridiculous that game was.

Are you saying Omark is now the Hockey Jesus? What about this guy?

26. VanOil says:

Oh shit I won’t be able to sleep tonight

Because my “crazy” “fun” uncle Lowetide told me about the anvil falling from the international space station about to hit Rexall

Hope it is one of the soft european anvils my “grumpy” “early on-set” uncle Cherry is always on about

27. striatic says:

bookje,

i had assumed he’d taken his shinebox and walked off into the sunset.

28. striatic says:

cabbiesmacker: I honestly believe the greatest source of joy this season could be finally….finally…being a better team than the Calgary Flames.

they weren’t last year?

or does the part of the season after they traded Iginla not count?

29. VanOil says:

Woodguy: I would be remiss to not mention that Marc Spector said today on Gregor’s show about Eager and Brown:

“One is my 3LW and one is my 4RW”

Wow.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Marc Spector.

30. justDOit says:

You know, for the past few years (save for last…), I would look at the split squad lineups, and mutter, ‘I wouldn’t want to see either of those teams play…’. But now either one is a great option. I might just do something stupid tomorrow and hand over way too much money to the Saddledome to see a preseason game. Gagner, Eberle, Perron, Smid, Petry, Marincin, LaBarb? Fa-gettaboudit!

31. justDOit says:

VanOil: I hope Eager is able to have a hockey career because there is some skill there. I am worried about his long term health though, brain damage is scary. Just look at Spector.

Where’s that damned props button…?

32. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy: The last time the Oilers camp was this deep was 06/07.

7 years ago.

Yea, that was a hell of a team. Piled up almost 200 goals.

33. FastOil says:

Eager – if he was willing to eagerly practice technique, he might have an NHL job! I remember when Brown came into the dressing room on Oil Change and they shook hands. Ouch. Eager looking fat for a professional athlete, and reluctant pugilist. He can skate but we’ll see if he has enough ‘threat to score’ for MacT which is a reasonable way to judge players IMO. If you cannot pressure in any way the opponent you are not helping the cause.

34. striatic says:

FastOil:

well, Eager looked very good in today’s scrimmage at least. Unfortunately for him, so did Joensuu and Omark. we shall see how he does on Saturday.

my guess is that he shows well but doesn’t make the cut.

Eager’d be my dark horse pick if Omark wasn’t already.

35. OilClog says:

cabbiesmacker,

Last season we were better then the Flames, this season the Canucks, next season.. Your beloved Hawks.

It’s easy to sit there and be the glass is completely empty guy.. But I’m the guy.. The oilers are going to have 4 80pt players?!? Here comes the playoffs! Woooooooooo!

Smyth not playing center, Belanger no longer being anywhere near anything, Whitney sailing the high seas of the golden arc, Krugers let’s try giving up every lead systems, and the turn of the kids into men.. Oilers have a very good chance at top 4 in the pacific rim.

36. OilClog says:

The way I see it : Brownlee stands in the shadows of Spector humming an antagonist tune

37. OilFire says:

cabbiesmacker:

If you don’t believe in this years team, that’s fine with me. Not sure myself if the elements for a truly competitive team are there. However, I think you can see it’s just impossible for us to have 4 80 point players and HOF level tending and not make the playoffs. I’m no stats guy, but had a quick look and the only team that I saw in a quick survey that comes close to those numbers are the caps in 09/10. They didn’t even have four players over 80 pts (albeit with top players over 100), very poor tending at somewhere around 0.912 and were the top team in the regular season by a mile.

38. BlacqueJacque says:

Great article on Yakupov. Wonderful kid. http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Oilers+Yakupov+sticks+with+respect+Horcoff/8911273/story.html

What an awesome guy.

I want to punch the next media guy or player who calls him a hotdog or selfish. Unless it’s MacIntyre. I saw what he did to Ivanans. I’m crazy, but not that crazy.

Favorite Oiler.

39. dangilitis says:

“Like a number of guys in his spot. He needs to go out and dance with the girl that he brought to prom. Don’t go out there and try to be something you’re not. I don’t think he’s a guy that’s going to go out there and run around and cause problems and be a real pain in the butt, checking guy. He needs to put up some numbers. He needs to be responsible defensively. He’s going to have to compete.”

Loved that comment. Totally flies in the face of Bob Mckenzie running his stupid mouth about the Oilers reported insistence on having a face puncher. Omark is the exact opposite, and Eakins doesn’t care.

Here’s my favourite comment:

“When asked if he has any problems with Omark’s “showboating” shootout goals, like the spin-o-rama he scored in Tampa Bay in 2010, a highly publicized and criticized move.

‘Did he score on it?,’ asked Eakins.”

40. LMHF#1 says:

dangilitis:

‘Did he score on it?,’ asked Eakins.”

He could go far, this one.

Sad commentary on what we’ve had to deal with in terms of both coaches and media, but still, credit to him.

He’s going to make supernova look like Mentos in Coke.

41. wheatnoil says:

To think, the Oilers almost took Murray!

42. DeadmanWaking says:

Lucinius: All I’m saying is I have a great worry about the Oilers over-thinking things and screwing the pooch because they do it every. god. damn. year.

All things being equal, much of what you say is true. Then two things happen.

First, the coach wakes up on a cold January morning with four regulars on the IR, an ache where his left kidney used to be, and a terrible dawning realization he’s been royally duped and screwed by the hockey gods: he has not lost two wingers and two defensemen, one from each side as promised by the gods in exchange for his vital organ. No, he’s lost both centers who can win a face-off and two puck moving defensemen from the same side.

“No need to overthink this,” he says to himself as he lobs a pair of extra strength pain killers at his one remaining kidney. Then he pulls up the October depth chart, struggles momentarily to focus his eyes on the tiny names occupying the fifth and sixth rows and says to himself “that can’t be the fifth row, I don’t think I’m seeing straight”. Pauses to adjust his glasses, looks again. “Oh, shit. Let the overthinking begin.”

That’s the second thing: entering training camp with a shallow, unbalanced roster.

Have you ever packed all your belongings into a small car? Here’s the thing. It only takes three awkward contracts before you find yourself strapping your oil painting collection to the top of the car to drive to Vancouver in drizzly November. Sure hope those three layers of garbage bags hold up to the wind and grit.

Deep in your heart you know your oil paintings would be better off inside the car. This is crazy! How did you get here? It hardly seems possible. Well, no need to overthink things, let’s hit the road.

Bank Shot: Yea, that was a hell of a team. Piled up almost 200 goals.

256 actually.

251 against

+5 differential.

Last Oiler team to have a positive goal differential. (would have been much wider if Lowe got a goalie before the deadline…like coming out of camp would have been nice)

12/13 Oilers (pro-rated to 82 games)

214 goals for
    229 against

-15 differential.

A wise man once said hockey is about what you create minus what you leave.

Oiler goal differential, from last good team (05/06) then the wander in the desert:

05/06 +5
    06/07 -53 (Pronger, Spacek, Peca and others leave and Lowe gets no immediate help)
    07/08 -16
    08/09 -14 (MacT fired because he’s the problem)
    09/10 -70 (Whoops!)
    10/11 -76
    11/12 -27
    12/13 -9 (prorated to -15)

Good Lord we’ve watched some just awful hockey.

Oilers owe me a year of free beer to be a season ticket holder during that time.

DeadmanWaking,

Nothing like looking back at a moment and thinking:

“Was I on glue when I made that decision?”

Bank Shot: Yea, that was a hell of a team. Piled up almost 200 goals.

Whoops, meant 05/06

The Kansas City Royal are 3.5 back of a wildcard spot.

47. commonfan14 says:

The “did he score?” comment didn’t do much for me, as Renney was also fine with the fancy until he tried that one where he beat the goalie and then just missed on the flip in. Seemed like he was permanently in Renney’s bad books after that, even though I don’t know that him missing the flip was that different than someone else missing wide on something more conventional.

48. Zipdot says:

DeadmanWaking: Either you can blame the coach in January for offering up a kidney unacceptable to the hockey gods, or you can blame the GM in August for stowing an unbalanced load.

As a pilot in training with a lesson in the air in a couple hours, I approve this message.

49. Zipdot says:

Woodguy: Kaptain my Kaptain!

This kid has a refined sense of class.

50. Ribs says:

Just for kicks…Other Oilers that have worn the number ten….

Jaroslav Pouzar
    Ryan Smyth
    Esa Tikkanen
    Ilja Byakin
    Ron Areshenkoff
    Kevin Brown
    Mariusz Czerkawski
    Pat Falloon
    Matti Hagman
    Shawn Horcoff
    Steve Kelly

Yakupov honours them all :)

51. uni says:

Woodguy: Good Lord we’ve watched some just awful hockey.

You would love the clip of the Oilers players delivering season ticket then. Money scene:

Season Ticket Holder [STH] Husband: I hope you have a good season this year.

Smid: We do too!

[Everyone]: (Laughs)

STH Wife: Yeah, we’ve been hoping since 2006 (laughs)

52. BlacqueJacque says:

uni,

And those were the ones they chose to publish online!