28:12

If there was any doubt about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and his importance to this Oilers team, playing half the game put those questions to sleep. It was an impressive display, and he also showed he was pretty damn good at instant analysis:

• RNH: “”That kind of reminded me of the LA game last year… we’ve showed we have it. We have to continue this now.”

Azorcan3

CF-CA 5X5, OCTOBER 7

CORSI CAPTURE13

This is a fascinating way to look at last night’s game. Notice Yakupov (16-11) and Eberle (14-10) and Justin Schultz (13-10)? The game goes so quickly, but I’ve spent much of this season thinking Yakupov hasn’t been getting any kind of push–and he’s definitely getting 3rd line minutes and linemates–but there it is in black and white, he’s on the ice for some good things.

The Oilers are 49.6% this morning overall (after 3 games) and that’s a tremendous number considering the elements that aren’t in place (Nuge before last night, Gagner, new system). They are 112-114 in Corsi for and against, basically even steven. And that’s an upgrade, especially if they can sustain it.

CF-CA AFTER 3 GAMES

chances for after 3

These graphs are by extra skater, you have to go there. That’s not an order, it’s just a fact. Wonderful instant site. Among regulars, Mark Arcobello is posting a handsome 61.3% with Nail just behind him. Eberle has a nice number too. With the Nuge back, and the 1line looking good, I’m beginning to see some depth at center (!!!!!) due to the emergence of Arcobello. There’s no doubt in my mind he’s earned an extended stay as a regular with this team, and it’s due in no small part to Craig MacTavish.

• MacT: “I liked him last year, I was an advocate of giving him an opportunity, especially in our bottom six last year, but he only came up for the one game. It all boils down to your ability to make plays with the puck. When he played with Hall and Eberle in Oklahoma City this year earlier, his production was excellent. It was actually on par with Nuge. I’m not saying that he’s Nuge, but it was on par with Ryan. So I think that we’ll get him to training camp. When we signed him again to a contract I had a conversation with him and told him that he would get a look at training camp. He hasn’t played in an exhibition game or didn’t last year, so we’ll get a look and the rest will be up to him to prove to the coaching staff that he’s got enough game to warrant a bigger look as training camp goes by. I promised him that opportunity and we’re going to give it to him.”

nuge hall ebs

Friedman from 30 Thoughts: Craig MacTavish showed great patience in the summer by not forcing an Ales Hemsky trade even though he wanted to. He will need that patience again. You could see the frustration on his face Saturday night in Vancouver — “not again!” — but when things are going bad, you get thrown anvils instead of lifejackets.

As this season rolls along, I think we’re going to have to give major credit to Ales Hemsky for his role on the team. It won’t be easy for some, but it has to be done. It’s also true that Craig MacTavish made a terrific move by not dealing 83–the skill level of this team is astounding, with Hemsky leading the way.

1. Hemsky 3, 1-3-4
  10. Smyth 2, 0-1-1
  11. Ference 3, 1-0-1
  12. Gazdic 3, 1-0-1
  13. Petry 3, 1-0-1
  14. Smid 3, 0-1-1
  15. Acton 3, 0-1-1

A note about David Perron. It’s early, but he really does look like an insanely good fit for this team. That goal he scored last night was music, an absolute stunner. He’s got a nice range of skills and can run with the thoroughbreds. Put that guy with Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Hemsky, Yakupov, Gagner and Boyd Gordon (!!!!!) and we’re talking post-season. Hurry up, Sam!

There’s lots of work to do, the breakouts are addled and they’re doing that running around in their own zone thing I’ve been watching since Rick Ley arrived in Toronto, but let’s spend the day happy and with the hope for a  better life over the next hill. We’re all riders in the rain this morning, on the way to a better day.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

johansson3

This morning at 10, we hit the air on TSN 1260 with a dynamite show. Scheduled to appear:

• Alan Hull, Copper and Blue. He’ll offer his insight into last night’s thriller and the season so far.
  • We’re going to play back major portions of the Eakins post game because he pointed out some big items.
  • Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. Bruce will help break down the game and the good and bad.
  • Jeff Krushell from Krush Health. BASEBALL! Post-season awards and playoff games, baby!

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on the twitter device. Please tune in!

81 Responses to "28:12"

1. Clarkenstein says:

Some ass came on here yesterday and suggested Nuge do a couple games with OKC for conditioning! Oh wait a minute… that was… me!! Might have been his best game ever is all!!

Clarkenstein:

Gifted athletes! What are you gonna do??? :-)

3. wheatnoil says:

Clarkenstein:

Hey, sometimes it’s nice to be proven wrong by the Wunderkids. I had assumed that Eakins was going to hyperbole with the “I should be able to play a forward 27-28 minutes a night” thing. Turns out… he can, he will, and he might just do it again and every damn night till Gags gets back. RNH hasn’t played a game in half a year, rolls back in, plays half the god damn game, and makes it look easy!

Damn I’m glad he’s signed for 8 years!

4. Hall Awaits says:

Gordon has looked great so far!!! His offence is surprising and hopefully it keeps going. Very Stoll-esque in the circle as well.

I personally hope they can find a way to retain Hemsky. Probably will be skewered for that but love the guy.

NNNNUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEE!!!!

5. goldenchild says:

You know it’s a funny thing, with Hall taking a major leap last year it feels like so many of us jumped to the slot these guys in with Hall at the top.
    The truly beautiful thing about this is as good as Hall is and can be, we still don’t really know which of the 3 will be the best 5 years from now. Nuge has this quiet brilliance that makes it easy to overlook him but yesterday the Oilers added a super nova talent to the order who hasn’t played in months and months and he was the best player on the ice by miles. 28 minutes in your first game, seriously.
    Yak looked frustrated all game but then had a shift with Hemsky and Gordon where the puck just found him twice and was off his stick in a blink, one off the crossbar one just missing. He probably had 4 great chances I’ll bet there aren’t many games where he goes 0-4 like that again and likely finishes more than 1 on a lot of nights.

The secondary talent on the team with Perron, Gagner, Hemsky and Ill put Eberle at the head of this group is phenomenal, not many teams have guys like that behind their truly top end guys but man those 3 #1’s are just another level player. I think comparing each of their 3rd year totals is going be really fascinating last night we got a glimpse of Nuge’s and good lord this is going to be fun.

Have to say, Gordon is really a terrific player has not looked out of place playing with skill, makes smart plays and just a really good pro. With Gagner and Joensuu in lineup there are so many good options and Gordons versatility really helps with that. Thank god 83 is still here and not traded for a 4th line center;)

LT, Maybe MacT has the same eye for centers that Lowe had for Dmen? So far both Gordon and Archobello have been covering the bet, although Archobello has shown AHL finishing abilities on some fantastic chances.

6. Bruce McCurdy says:

They are 112-114 in chances for and against, basically even steven.

CF% is actual Corsi For, not Chances For. But they are hardly unrelated, of course.

Agreed on Arcobello, he has looked very good to this point. Smart distribution of the puck, sneaks into good positions without it, and has held his own at other aspects. 8/10 on the dot last night, including 3/3 in the d-zone.

7. justDOit says:

Clarkenstein,

It didn’t sound so unreasonable when you said it, other than the fact that they needed RNH on the big club. All that’s left now, is to come to some consensus on how many Us are in NUUUUUUGE! I’m voting for 6.

8. G Money says:

LT sez:

The Oilers are 49.6% this morning overall (after 3 games) and that’s a tremendous number considering the elements that aren’t in place (Nuge before last night, Gagner, new system). They are 112-114 in chances for and against, basically even steven. And that’s an upgrade, especially if they can sustain it.

As usual, Tyler Dellow over at another ‘go to’ site has an interesting perspective. He calculated rolling Corsi for the Oilers last season for 3 game segments. After this three game segment, the Oilers are basically at 50% – a level they did not manage a single time in any 3-game segment last year.

Also of note is that the Oilers, despite being 1-2, have pitched two positive Corsi games so far – something that only happened five times all of last season.

It’s early, but there are *definitely* some plus signs bubbling around.

9. justDOit says:

This is what other teams will come to think of when the Oiler power play hits the ice:

10. cc says:

I think the following lines could work;
    Hall-Nuge-Yakupov
    Joensuu-Arco/Gagner-Eberle (Soft) – Gagner historically has looked good with Eberle.
    Perron-Gordon-Hemsky (Tough Minutes)

I really think that Acton SR is making a difference. Since MacT left this team has been downright shitty on faceoffs. I know it’s only 3 games but it looks like they have improved in this aspect.

I think Arco is the perfect utility forward and I disagree with people who don’t think he could play on the 4th line if/when everyone is healthy. Look @ the Bruins 4th line. Tough guy – Thornton (Gazdic fills this role) a physical defensive specialist Campbell (Acton) and then they have Paille who is a skill guy that isn’t really top 6 material but can fill in the top 6 in a pinch and has learned to play well in his own zone. Together they form a pretty decent 4th line. I think Arco can be a poor man’s Paille.

11. khildahl says:

My only big criticism of Arcobello to this point is that it seems to take him too long to shoot when he has a good chance, and the other team and goalie have plenty of time to react to him. He may just need to catch up to speed of the NHL, so I’m willing to give him some time before I start making a thing out of it.

12. RMGS says:

It’s like stating that water is wet, but the Nuge really is something special. What a game from the 1C.

So, I’ve been seeing YakCity bad in his own zone, but the numbers don’t lie I guess. That’s an impressive 3-game start. He looked better once Hamilton went down and he was being rotated up the line-up. You can tell he’s dying to score, and that’s what you want to see.

Perron is a brilliant addition to the team. Plays hard both ways, agitates, has great hands and a deadly shot.

And Hemsky. What can I say? It’s beautiful to watch his outstanding, vindicating play lead the team.

Lesser lights that deserve strong mention: Boyd Gordon has been stellar for the club thus far – I dare say an upgrade on The Kaptain. And what the hell is the team going to do with Mark Arcobello when Gagner’s back? Kid looks like a NHL C.

I love the morning after a victory.

13. theres oil in virginia says:

Any chance that Arcobello can improve the power of his shot?

14. GriffCity says:

The Oilers are a dysfunctional team right now. We all love a comeback and last night was great but I dont think it happens without old Marty having a goalie meltdown at 39 or 40 however old he is. The truth it that the Oilers have only really played well enough to deserve one game and that was the season opener vs the Jets.

Obviously if the team could compile a 60 minute effort like the 20 minute one we saw last night we could sing a different tune but the truth of the matter is that for the most part, the team has looked out of sync.

15. goldenchild says:

Re: Archobello vs Acton.
    I was thinking of a line that would make sense for Archobello on the 4th and Im not a Ryan Jones fan at all but is there any way that 4th line of Smyth-Archobello-Jones wouldnt be much better than Gadzic-Acton- Brown?

16. Hammers says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    They are 112-114 in chances for and against, basically even steven.

Maybe that’s why McT has said that Gags should go to the wing . If Arco can win most of his draws we may have a top 9 not 6 .I would keep him up when Sam returns . Think of the line combinations.

17. CrazyCoach says:

cc: I think , I’d like to see Yakupov paired with Nuge. I’d rather Yakupov (LHS RW) play with a LHS center rather than a RHS center. I think that Nuge would be able to set him up with a one-timer on the rush a lot easier than Gagner, Gagner would have to either set Yakupov up with a backhand or stop and pivot to pass to Yakupov. Does this make sense to anyone else?

It makes a lot of sense in terms of a quick release on the pass over to Yak.

However, great centremen have the ability to make a good pass forehand or backhand. I always thought that was one of Joe Sakic’s intangibles that truly made him great. He had the ability to pass forehand or backhand and do it equally well from either side.

18. TheOtherJohn says:

Believe the revelation YTD on this team would be Boyd Gordon. Notwithstanding that Jim Matheson spent the summer calling him a 4C, he has come EXACTLY as advertised. I am not speaking about his scoring, at all. He is given the job of heavy lifting and has done a very very solid job. When paired with real NHL players he can handle the toughs. He is eating a steady diet of DZstarts and the OZstarts he gets are typically to win the draw on OZ face offs. He is winning 58% of all DIFFICULT face offs

He was also the catylyst to the 5th goal. If he doesn’t separate D from puck, Hall doesn’t get the puck to score. No assist but made the play.Simple play, rarely done by Oiler forwards as they typically are too busy playing the puck.

19. stevezie says:

I didn’t watch last night until this morning and it was great fun, but the pk swarm looks like six year olds chasing the puck. I’m sure it will get sorted.

On the up side we have no goaltending controversy.

I thought Hemsky looked really good, I wonder we he played so comparatively little?

20. spoiler says:

Hammers: Maybe that’s why McT has said that Gags should go to the wing

When did this happen?

21. hunter1909 says:

Turned off the game at 0-3 Oilers. No way was I prepared to suffer through anymore misery.

Then woke up and lazily checked last night’s TSN scores. Even then I still thought they’d lost the shootout.

What’s Chickenhawk going to do with this lazy, selfish, undisciplined team?

22. slopitch says:

Nuge is gonna win a Selke one day. His anticipation on the puck is magic.

It will be interesting to see what they do with 26, 83, 94, 6, 48 (plus the 4th line which I don’t mind). Hemsky in a tough min role is awesome but he’ll be like Grabovski and want to play top 6. He’s a top 6 player. Top 3 on many teams. There is depth up front. Beauty. But still lots to do defensively. I hope Hemsky resigns. If he does at some point in the season, I wonder if a Eberle++ for Weber type trade is looming. Blah, I shouldnt go there.

Anyways, I’m glad we’re able to collectively take a step away from the cliff. A 3-0 NJD win woulda kept me off the site for a couple days ;)

23. slopitch says:

I also turned the game off at 3-0. Decided to catch up on Homeland. I’ll try it again on Thurs. Hopefully this doesnt go anywhere, I enjoy the games too much!

24. BlacqueJacque says:

I was sure there’d be a Rush song here, from 2112.

I just noticed you wear Alouettes colours in your “on the air” picture…

25. OilClog says:

last night sitting there watching the game, forcing 3 people that aren’t really much of any sort of sports fan to begin with “why are you watching this?” “these guys are brutal” “you really spend your time doing this?”.. Then the 3rd period hit .. “Why haven’t they done this all game?!?!” “damn these guys are exciting!” “WoW! I’d watch more if they all turned out like that!”.. Real Glad I forced myself through that 2nd intermission.. Was real real close to buying into the negative Nancy’s around me.

I thought at a few points last night I saw Yak out with Hemmer and Gordon.. I really like the prospects of that line. There are so many possibilities once Gagner comes back.. Lordy.

Hemsky! Have to keep beating the drum louder and louder for this guy, watching him out there.. It’s incredible how smooth, and uberly skilled he is. His back checking this season is on par with what I’ve seen from the likes of Pavel in Detroit.. Yes, he isn’t known for it and shouldn’t be compared.. but with his skill, his back checks are beautiful to behold. If he does it for a whole season pushing the river and putting up points.. Oilers are going to have some incredible tough decisions to make.

26. denny33 says:

TheOtherJohn,

Ahmen Brother….

As I have said before, Boyd Gordon and David Perron stick out on this team. And like you said,nothing to do with goals or assists.

Although, both new guys find themselves tied for 2nd in team scoring…

When I look at St. Louis I can’t even find MPS on their stats page…..is he even dressing for games?
    ( or did Morrow bump him out ? )

27. Bank Shot says:

I like a lot of others have been thinking that Yak isn’t getting very much icetime.

So I was pretty surprised when I saw on NHL.com that Yakupov is 4th on the team in ES minutes per game not including the Nuge.

He’s getting his minutes. Would be nice to see a little more PP push though. I have him in one of my pools. haha.

Oilers one of the top faceoff teams in the league. Never thought I would see that again! Hallelujah!

28. OilClog says:

If Brownlee happens to see this.. How Hemsky’s market now? I’d ask him on ON.. but you know.. he banishes anyone that defends the Oilers from his POV. lol

29. David says:

As good as Hemsky’s been I would still slide him down the depth chart. And that is because of maximizing effectiveness of players. Hall needs to play wing to maximize his effectiveness. We all have seen that in the first three games.

When it comes to Yakupov we are witnessing the Seguin approach. Hall was given top line minutes and top line players right out of the gate and that is why right out of the gate he looked so good and put up good numbers. Seguin in his first year was buried on the roster and that’s why he put up so few points. I’ve already heard from commenters and media members that Yak’s been fairly invisible so far. But that’s what you get when he plays 12 minutes a night with third liners.

Yakupov is a sniper not a dangler or playmaker. If we want to maximize his effectiveness we have to pair him with the Nuge and give him huge minutes. We saw what he can do last game when given an opportunity and last year he took off once we gave him more leash. 12 mins a night with stone hands and no pass will leave Yakupov accomplishing very little. Much like Hall in the middle.

And back to Hemsky. The reason I’d move him down is because he doesn’t need to play with Nuge and Hall and Eberle to be effective. He just takes the puck and runs with it creating his magic. He’s a player that makes those around him better. While Yak is a player who (at least at this point) needs good players around him to make him better.

Sorry for the length of post.

30. denny33 says:

Reality Check:

Glad to see we squeaked out a win in the shootout. Positive signs in the 3rd period for sure…

However, the New Jersey Devils lost Parise and Kovalchuk and I had to look up who is actually playing for them beside Elias and Zajac.

Jagr, Clowe and Ryder are AHL slow and I am being very generous to Ryan Clowe….

The New Jersey Devils are picked to finish last in the Metropolitan – and some think they might challenge Florida for dead last in the whole league.

I thought this would be a gimme game for us…

Instead, we were booed off the ice after 2 periods. Rightly so.

A couple of colleagues here in Winnipeg assumed we had some injuries on our
    D core because we were hemmed in so much in the first 2 periods…

Glad to get a win – but we played the New Jersey Devils. Their Defenceman – Zidlicky is 2nd on the team for scoring…

Perhaps this was a character win and we can build off this effort.

Let’s see how we play the Canadians….

31. OilClog says:

denny33:
    Reality Check:

Jagr, Clow and Ryder are AHL slow and I am being very generous to Ryan Clowe….

I thought this would be a gimme game for us…

Instead, we were booed off the ice after 2 periods. Rightly so.

A couple of colleagues here in Winnipeg assumed we had some injuries on our
    D core because we were hemmed in so much in the first 2 periods…

Glad to get a win –but we played the New Jersey Devils. Their Defenceman – Zidlicky is 2nd on the team for scoring…

Perhaps this was a character win and we can build off this effort.

Let’s see how we play the Canadians….

Reality check.. Anytime a team comes down from 3-0 in the final frame to win the game.. is impressive. It’s all about the W’s.. If New Jersey is as bad as everyone predicts, we got the W and we move on to the next game.

It’s 3 games in.. I don’t think it’s criminal at this point for a D-man to be 2nd in scoring.

Brunner.. Never heard of him? Henrique a no body? Devils are not the team they once were, but they’re still a NHL team. They have plenty of players.. Reality check.

32. LMHF#1 says:

denny33:

Jagr, (is) AHL slow

So what? The guy is still a killer. Just like Mariano Rivera he could probably play until he’s damn near 50. Every year people pronounce this guy’s end and then he shows up and makes a difference. He’s a deadline target if NJ isn’t making the playoffs and we are.

33. LMHF#1 says:

David:
    As good as Hemsky’s been I would still slide him down the depth chart.

Yakupov is a sniper not a dangler or playmaker.

Hall is most effective when he and Hemsky get to settle into a groove. We don’t need to separate them. Remember how Joensuu and Yakupov were excellent in the first against WPG?

Also, Yakupov is all of those things. If you haven’t seen his playmaking ability, keep watching. I know it is sometimes hard to see because the passes fly so fast, but he’s an amazing setup guy.

34. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque:
    I was sure there’d be a Rush song here, from 2112.

I just noticed you wear Alouettes colours in your “on the air” picture…

Well if it’s from 2112, for last night, it would be either The Twilight Zone or A Passage to Bangkok – take your pick.

35. DeadmanWaking says:

wheatnoil: I had assumed that Eakins was going to hyperbole with the “I should be able to play a forward 27-28 minutes a night” thing. Turns out… he can, he will, and he might just do it again and every damn night till Gags gets back.

36. Bag of Pucks says:

Serious question for those taking solace from the positive Corsi numbers.

Doesn’t the team’s horrid performance on the ice by eye (qualitative evidence) give you cause for concern on the validity of this metric (quantitative evidence)?

Corsi is saying they’re good, but by eye, they’ve played 1 period out of 9 with giveaways occurring all over the ice. The defense corps is soft and struggling to string together two passes to exit the zone. The kids corp is wildly inconsistent in their competition level with some prone to horrible giveaways and mental errors. Eberle and Yakupov outright disappear for long stretches. J Schultz is a grenade in his own zone. Saying the goaltending has been average is kind. Etc.

If we need to take solace from something, I would say it can be taken from the performance of the newcomers (Gordon, Perron, Ferrence, Joensu). To a man, they’ve played well, and most importantly they’re demonstrating a consistency of effort that can’t help but be benefical to Eakins as he looks to instill this culture teamwide.

37. justDOit says:

BlacqueJacque:
    I was sure there’d be a Rush song here, from 2112.

Just checked the track list, and Lessons, Tears, or Something For Nothing could also be very apt – so I guess that’s most of the album.

38. Colonel Obvious says:

slopitch:
    Nuge is gonna win a Selke one day.His anticipation on the puck is magic.

It will be interesting to see what they do with 26, 83, 94, 6, 48 (plus the 4th line which I don’t mind).Hemsky in a tough min role is awesome but he’ll be like Grabovski and want to play top 6.He’s a top 6 player.Top 3 on many teams.There is depth up front.Beauty.But still lots to do defensively.I hope Hemsky resigns.If he does at some point in the season, I wonder if a Eberle++ for Weber type trade is looming. Blah, I shouldnt go there.

Don’t worry. The term “top six” is meaningless. Fans and media like to talk about the “number” of the line but that’s just talk that has no bearing on hockey. Instead of using meaningless terms we should focus on things that actually matter. Such as:

1) who he plays with, and here there is plenty of talent to go around.
    2) powerplay time, which he is getting.

Eakins has come straight out and told the media that they should stop talking about number one and two lines. He’s right. Every line has the same job. Score goals. Don’t get scored on. That’s it.

39. spoiler says:

DeadmanWaking: This is going to get ugly if people don’t get their minds around the overtraining failure mode. The limiting resource is the body’s ability to repair itself. The body is an amazing thing. It can sustain a repair deficit for a good length of time. Eventually the repair system itself needs a rest. The ambulance drivers haven’t slept for a week. The day comes where you step on the ice, and all you find is lead. Lead in your legs, lead in your lungs, lead in your brain. Repair services is staging a job action. Right in front of 20,000 ADD OCD yowling fans. You’re sucking the hind banana and you know it. Your amygdala send the emergency bat signal to your hypothalamus. Alfred Pennyworth catches the paning glint of panic, sneers, tightens the thick velvet drapes, then sits down the opening chapter of War and Peace while the thin husk of Batman snores like a baby. “Where’s my super suit!” you shriek inside, as your mark walks right through you to the post for the second time in two shifts. The yowlers are not impressed. They paid good money to watch these rich kids play the game like they give a damn, and you can just see by the way these guys are dragging their tails around the ice that they don’t care. They don’t give a damn. They aren’t trying. They haven’t got the mental toughness. They’ve quit. The failure mode of overtraining is showing up, giving it your best (which is thin gruel), and looking like you don’t give a shit. Insufficient recovery over the long term causes athletes to become emotional, erratic, and lose executive function. You walk around perceiving the world through an inch-think cocoon of bleak. Judgment about how to best focus training between games becomes poor. In desperation, the player falls back into what was working so well just a week ago: skating his bag off. Now we’re on the roller coaster. One good game, one bad game. Twenty guys on twenty different roller coasters. Mutiny on the Bounty is not far behind. The great performances continue to be great, even better than great, but they gradually become fewer and farther between. What Eakins has in his favour is that youth is the best defense. Mature athletes function nearly as well on extra rest as they did before. The problem becomes finding the right balance of getting enough rest, and still getting enough practice to keep skills sharp. Eventually there is no right balance, which might or might not be evident from the press box. They can probably keep this up until Gagner returns. It’s good tactics in the short term. The true test comes when the team goes on a winning streak and everyone jumps on the bandwagon, then they start to have these mysteriously flat games when their exhausted tissue-repair services stage a job action. From the outside, this looks indistinguishable from not caring. And we know how that ends. TJ has that story printed by the hundred sheaf, which he keeps under his bed. Spoiled brats making $70,000 per game can’t be bothered to give a damn. Read all about it! The fans, wrapped in a cocoon of false perception start hating the players. The players, wrapped in a cocoon of negative judgment start hating the fans. Eakins is not the first ever coach to come along playing the fitness card. There’s a reason why 28 minutes hasn’t become the norm. We’re not the only team with better players on our first line than on our fourth line. Some of the truly elite can compensate with smarts, skill, and good in-game management. On our top line, we don’t them all driving 110% just to score a goal. Hall most of all needs to pick his spots. He lives and dies by his legs. Nuge has many ways to get the job done, but not even Nuge can back-check on four cylinders. Lose the puck less often, back-check less often. That could be part of the formula, too. Winning the odd face-off can’t hurt, either. What I’d like to know is whether our Corsi improvement is telling us more than just last season’s sorry story about the dot. Is it the change of system, or merely starting the play in control of the puck? How many draws did Horcoff win that lead directly to a goal? Not all draws are created equal. Eakins wields the golden whip. But does he have the silver bullet for overtraining? We wait.

DMW, I wonder if this issue is why we are hearing now that the team could take 30 games to get up to speed under Eakins… it takes some time for the body to climb up to the plateau of extreme fitness he is demanding. That said, Nuge has always posted phenomenal fitness levels on his tests… but will he bounce back with the same game legs next game? We’ve only played three games, but what we have seen so far is that Eakins will trim the minutes of the hoss he whipped into a lather in the prior match for the latter match. Will he do the same with the Nuge?

1) I like that Perron is a shooter. in the world of now, his skill set fits the immediate need much better than Paajarvi. Hitch is puzzled with his new toy. So far only Nelson and Krueger have demonstrated any ability to connect with Paajarvi. I’m surprised that Hitch is puzzled.

2) Boyd Gordon provides Anton Lander with a actual aspirational model for his game. When you have great wingers, a decent sized “boring” centre of average skating ability with solid defensive awareness can surprise offensively. Lander has shown a bit of this, when he has played with skill in OKC.

3) We should stop thinking “top six”, and start thinking “top nine”. The Oilers should be able to roll out two tough minutes scoring lines, and a soft minutes scoring line. A top nine, where conventionial #1, #2, #3 becomes moot.

41. Factotum says:

DeadmanWaking,

I hope everyone here takes the time to read what you wrote today and let it sink in. Brilliant stuff, man.

42. Lloyd B. says:

I reckon it’s a quiet day for the paramedics and EMTs in Edmonton today with everyone jumpiing back on the band wagon and all.

43. Brackenburied says:

theres oil in virginia: Any chance that Arcobello can improve the power of his shot?

Or accuracy?

44. Kris11 says:

I’d like to pat myself on the back for saying that “Nuge looks elite” early in the game last night.

Overall, the team looks, looking past the unexpectedly big ups and downs, about like we thought it would. The kids are elite and there are some shining players deeper in the lineup, but also lots of rough spots.

The two Schultzes look pretty poor defensively, IMO. You can hide JSchultz’s defensive weaknesses and benefit from his fantastic offense by pairing him with a strong defensively minded D, or by using him more in the offensive zone and against weaker opposition. (And hopefully he will improve.)

But Nick Schultz needs to be better.

Somebody said last night that this team “needs more Smids.” I concur. Or it needs an even better D-man. (Nurse is coming, but you need something now.) Without a D upgrade this team is still really iffy.

45. Kris11 says:

46. ohhell says:

Factotum:
    DeadmanWaking,

I hope everyone here takes the time to read what you wrote today and let it sink in.Brilliant stuff, man.

Agreed. Really enjoyed the read DMW. Not sure where you get the time, or the ideas for the matter, but I really enjoyed that analysis.

47. spoiler says:

Kris11: Also, Belov needs some time to adapt. He seems hyper-competitive and would look at it as a challenge. A few games in the AHL (and he doesn’t have to clear waivers) seems like a good idea to me. Maybe you wait until Grebs is ready, maybe not.

A few games in the AHL doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. He needs to learn NHL time and space, not AHL. I would put him upstairs for a few games and continue to work with him in practice and with video and see if he can take a step forward. The view from upstairs–and I’d bet he has watched very little NHL in his life–will give him a better idea of the time and space that players have available. And then I’d bring him back into the line-up and assess from there.

48. spoiler says:

Let’s keep in mind that the AHL is not a step forward from the KHL and would only give some familiarity with rink size and angles. Belov needs to learn the NHL game. After only three matches, with strange linemates, in a strange town, strange food and bed, on strange ice, and less time and space than he’s used to… I think he has performed admirably.

Let’s not add yet more strangeness at this point.

49. Dead Cat Bounce says:

denny33:
    TheOtherJohn,

Ahmen Brother….

Although, both new guys find themselves tied for 2nd in team scoring…

( or did Morrow bump him out ? )

Paajarvi hasn’t played.

Morrow grabbed the 2LW spot while Jaden Schwartz is 3LW.

That line up is loaded.

50. Kris11 says:

spoiler,

Yeah, you’re probably right, Spoiler. Good points.

51. hunter1909 says:

Someone please ask their uncle or grandfather which of the 1950′s/1960′s Montreal Canadiens dynasty players Perron reminds him most of?

This guy I’ve followed since he went to the Blues. Just a quality, good player in the old timey Quebec mold(when Quebec regularly stocked the NHL’s best teams).

52. hunter1909 says:

MPS busts for the Blues: Oilers pick him for peanuts and then he immediately blossoms as another good Swedish hockey player, lol.

53. hunter1909 says:

@Kris: Not sure about your spotting what everyone else saw, lol, but your basic analysis of the team reads as good as anything I’ve ever seen posted on this site.

54. hunter1909 says:

Looks like Hall/Nuge/Eberle and Yaks might be forcing a few changes on Eakins themselves, after last night.

Last night’s game: ‘A Tale of Two Cities’.

55. knighttown says:

So, I guess Smytty draws back into the Top 9 with Hamilton and Uncle Yessey out?

We’re breaking even on Corsi right now because, for the first time in forever, it isn’t just Spahn and Sain and pray for rain. Arco’s line gets a chance, then Nuge creates, then Gazdic’s line hangs in there and then Perron finishes it off. That’s how you really start to get the ball rolling. You’ve got to come in waves which we did in the 3rd last night. The bottom three are fine but everyone else has to be able to run with the big horses. Pleasantly surprised that Gordon can keep up quite easily and absolutely shocked that Arco can as well.

If Smyth simply can’t run with the big horses, and its a coin toss at best right now, they’d be better with an anonymous guy with good feet and a good motor. A Mason Raymond type. Is that person on the OKC Barons roster? Would Jones or Pitlick be a better fit?

56. spoiler says:

Kris11: spoiler, Yeah, you’re probably right, Spoiler. Good points.

We can always send him down later, if he can’t turn the corner.

57. SlapBet says:

hunter1909,

That is my thought exactly. The price will not be as high by any means as the season progresses and if we could get him back for our 4th line it would be perfect as he already has the chemistry with our team and has speed. Glorious speed. The competition the 4th line faces in 5 minutes wouldn’t be able to keeo up with his fresh legs due to the smaller amount of ice time he’d get…

58. Bar_Qu says:

The one thing I take from the first three games, if anything at all, is that the Oilers are a talented team which demonstrates the folly of changing coaches 4 times in 5 years. The talent is there (in spades) but the system play is confused and likely will lead to the bi-pOILer moniker for a while (I shamelessy steal that from someone else on twitter).

The one thing which cannot happen for a couple of years now is the Oilers have to keep their coach for another season minimum. Regardless of what the outcome in the standings.

There are just too many young players who are not able to rely on muscle memory to play the game and have to think too hard to get to what they are doing, imo. Once the Eakins-diet settles in these players will play better.

Especially now that Hall is on LW again.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Blues have a funny sched (not really), they don’t play their 3rd game until tomorrow night.

Hitch will have had a lot of practice time to re-think his Magnus HSes. It will be interesting to see if Magnus has shown him anything in the last number of days to get himself in a game.

If he doesn’t play tomorrow, I think he’s basically stuck waiting on an injury he can positionally address or a loss of faith in another player.

The longer this goes on… the more we might see rumors of Armstrong making some calls. We should take them.

60. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I could see Hitch inserting MagPaaj into the 2nd line when they first meet the Oilers. And we all know how former Oilers do against their old team.

61. bookje says:

I think the Blues felt they could turn MPS into a power forward. Once they give up on the effort and waive or trade him, the Oilers should look at him as a possible 3rd liner.

62. wheatnoil says:

bookje,

Romulus Apotheosis,

Guys, this is crazy talk. The Blues traded Perron for this guy and then signed him to a two year, one-way deal. Even if the trade was a salary dump, they’re not waiving or sending him down 3 games into the season. The Blues may give up on him, but not before the year is done.

63. PaperDesigner says:

There`s no way the Blues deal Paajarvi now. They`ll probably wait and see how this season rolls out. However, I`d gladly take him back if they are disillusioned with him by season`s end.

This does seem to speak of a disconnect between the management and coach, though. GM thinks he`s a good enough player to deal a proven, pretty young, top six winger on a reasonable contract for. Coach won`t put him in a regular season game. Or was Paajarvi`s training camp just that poor…

64. bookje says:

wheatnoil:
    bookje,

Romulus Apotheosis,

No, they are not, but it could happen before the end of the season (which is what I was thinking). Cases like MPS where there seems to be a disconnect between the individual’s existing contribution and the potential seen in the individual ‘if they would change their game’ often result in the individual being undervalued for what they do bring when used in accordance with their past performance.

Penner, for example, could be a premier power forward in the game IF he would just become that guy, but clearly he doesn’t have it in him to be that premier power forward. While it is theoretically possible with his size and strength, he just doesn’t have it. However, when a coach leaves him alone to play his game, he seems to be a pretty darn good player (he was one player who did better under the no coach regime of Quinn).

I think MPS will never ‘find it’, but I think he is a useful 3rd liner who can kill penalties and get 10-14 goals a year. He may come at a bargain price if he fails to succeed when pushed by the Blues

With that said, you are fully correct when you say they are not getting rid of him any-time soon likely. .

65. jake70 says:

The final minute goal against, ON THE PP, seems to have been lost in the euphoria of the 4 goal 3rd period, understandably. I get not sitting back in the 3rd with a lead philosophy, but FFS play trap hockey in the last minute if you have to. Can’t do this vs. the west teams. Points in October…

66. regwald says:

jake70:

I don’t think the Oilers were playing that bad in their own end that resulted in the tying goal. That was a fluke play that went in off a defenceman’s skate. That’s a little different than the defensive play on goals 1 and 3.

67. Gerta Rauss says:

Bar_Qu:
    the Eakins-diet

That’s a keeper.

68. prairieschooner says:

Loved MPS and really wanted him to succeed here but I would not take him back even for free.

69. Lucinius says:

prairieschooner,

Shit, I would. In a heartbeat. Paajarvi back would solidify the LW position on the Oilers;

Hall
    Perron
    Paajarvi
    Joensuu
    Smyth/Gazdic

Is a ton better than what we got now, especially with Joensuu’s back. Paajarvi has hands of stone that sometimes come alive, but he’s got a ton of potential as that third line, shut down winger who can chip in some offense, pk and fly, letting him forecheck well and still get back.

70. Lucinius says:

Also, I know its early, but.. Oilers are second in the league in face off win %. The Oilers.

We truly do live in Bizarro Land.

71. Zipdot says:

PaperDesigner: Or was Paajarvi`s training camp just that poor…

No, Hitch said his line was the best in preseason. So it’s not that.

72. Zipdot says:

Lucinius: Paajarvi has hands of stone that sometimes come alive, but he’s got a ton of potential as that third line, shut down winger who can chip in some offense, pk and fly, letting him forecheck well and still get back.

Man, Paajarvi would fit really, really well on the current roster with the current makeup. Right there with Gordon and Yak.

73. wheatnoil says:

bookje: No, they are not, but it could happen before the end of the season (which is what I was thinking).Cases like MPS where there seems to be a disconnect between the individual’s existing contribution and the potential seen in the individual ‘if they would change their game’ often result in the individual being undervalued for what they do bring when used in accordance with their past performance.

Penner, for example, could be a premier power forward in the game IF he would just become that guy, but clearly he doesn’t have it in him to be that premier power forward.While it is theoretically possible with his size and strength, he just doesn’t have it.However, when a coach leaves him alone to play his game, he seems to be a pretty darn good player (he was one player who did better under the no coach regime of Quinn).

I think MPS will never ‘find it’, but I think he is a useful 3rd liner who can kill penalties and get 10-14 goals a year.He may come at a bargain price if he fails to succeed when pushed by the Blues

With that said, you are fully correct when you say they are not getting rid of him any-time soon likely..

You make a valid point. Our difference appears to be the timeline for the Blues giving up on him. I still don’t think it happens this season, but if he can’t make his way into the Blues plans, he could be a trade chip in the summer or sent down on waivers at the opening of next season.

That said, if you’re right and he’s available for cheap before the trade deadline, I will gladly eat my slice of humble pie if it brings MPS back to the Oilers! Also, if he does get waived at any point and the Oilers pass on him, I will be furious!

74. Lewko says:

DeadmanWaking,

They don’t play again until Thursday. I’m not going to worry about this until he does it on back to backs, etc. They’ve had lots of days off. A good time to see what they can do…

75. Lewko says:

Bar_Qu,

I think this is very accurate. Consistency breeds predictability breeds results…

76. wheatnoil says:

DeadmanWaking,

Very good point! Two things:

1) It may help, as you say, when Gagner comes back. Especially if Eakins feels he can lean on Gags as much as he does RNH. If RNH starts to show signs of flagging, does he get a breather while Gagner gets let out of the stable?

2) Does the overtraining equation change if Hall/Eberle/Nuge don’t make the Olympic team? If they stay home, then can Eakins run them harder knowing they’ll get a two week reprieve to recover and recuperate in February? February is a long ways away, but it may come at just the right time.

77. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks: Serious question for those taking solace from the positive Corsi numbers.

OK, serious answer for ya, Bagmeister.

Note: this is my personal take on the situation. I’m a computing/math/stats guy, so my perspective on advanced stats can be different from others (for good and for bad).

A couple of key points to understand what positive Corsi means and yes, why it is actually a positive:

1 – it helps to understand (objectively) whether or not the team may have improved from last year. For all the bumbling and stumbling this year, are we doing MORE or LESS bumbling and stumbling than last year? The answer so far is – less. Quite a bit less.

2 – It helps to put the bumbling and stumbling into a more objective framework. A team can be the better team for five minutes, then turn around and one giveaway plus poor goaltending and suddenly we’re down one. The normal response of a fan (ESPECIALLY an Oiler fan, given our years of futility) is to SEE RED, to SNAP, to SWEAR, to forget about the five minutes of solid play and rail instead at the utter incompetence of our team. (I know I do). But in fact, unless you believe that soft goaltending is the new normal, over the long haul, it is the way the team plays the bulk of the game that dictates how you’ll end up.

3 – In some ways, giveaways don’t actually matter. What matters is what happens after the giveaway. How often does it result in shots, chances, goals against? By that avenue, what Corsi is telling us is that the team is doing a better job than last year at recovering from giveaways, and also doing a better job of generating chances for when in the offensive zone.

4 – So in perspective, with three games in the books (still WAAAAY early), all that we can say is that so far the team may indeed be a bit better in generating chances for and stopping chances against than last year. It does not imply competence, only better balance. Two positive Corsi games so far (we had five all of last season). A three game stretch at basically breakeven in Corsi (we had none last year).

I’m not predicting much (hell, I’ll stand by – for now – my pre-season prediction of no playoffs), but I will say I feel a little more confident the Oilers will NOT be in the running for a lottery pick this year.

P.S. I cannot let the Rush reference pass me by. I believe the correct reference for last night’s game is from the third part of the title track, to wit:

“I can’t wait to share this new wonder
    The people will all see its light
    Let them all make their own music
    The Priests praise Nuge’s name on this night”

78. G Money says:

Oh, I forgot to add one point … you actually don’t need to go all Corsi either. Shots tell the same story (the Oilers outshot the bad guys in two of the three games, while being badly outshot in the third). Again, just three data points that can’t be read into that much – excepting that those games were also extremely rare last year.

79. Lucinius says:

I feel like watching hockey tonight, but god damn… Struggling to find a game tonight that I could actually summon the will to watch;

I hate watching Phoenix play hockey, Florida and Philly would probably make me fall asleep, despise Pittsburgh and I haven’t forgiven Carolina. Hate Toronto and Roy, have no desire to watch the shit-show of Buffalo/Tampa, and Minnesota/Nashville would put speed freak to sleep. Despise Vancouver and can’t bear to watch them win games, and the Ranger/Sharks game is just too late for me to care.

Such a bad line-up for me, personally.

What I really want to watch is the first three rounds of the ’06 playoffs. Miss those days.

80. regwald says:

Lucinius:

Such a bad line-up for me, personally.

You have to watch the Leafs vs Avs. After Roy’s start to coaching in the league if that game goes sideways or Carlye sends out his 4th line too often against the stars, there will be more yelling and screaming at the Avs bench. Why wait for Sportsnight highlights. Enjoy the moment.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wheatnoil:
    bookje,

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’m pretty sure I didn’t say they would waive him (I mean they could, but it’s highly unlikely). But I think it is pretty reasonable that if they don’t plan on playing him they’d be open to hearing offers.