BOLD MOVE TO COME

Devan Dubnyk didn’t have the confidence of management in the summer, and Oiler fans have no confidence in him now. Time for a bold move. Now. Craig MacTavish has been rumored to be ‘waiting for game 15 or 20′ to make the call, but why bother? This is a goalie who has gone from mid-pack (or better) to dregs in short order. The season is now 1-3-1, and with average goaltending in game 1 and 5 this team would be 3-2.

Craig MacTavish showed his hand at the draft. He does not believe in Devan Dubnyk.

Time to go all in.

Now.

144 Responses to "BOLD MOVE TO COME"

1. Moose says:

Can’t see it. Fan’s ability to conjure up transactions and GM’s ability to make them (especially this early) are markedly different.

He looks horrible (deep in his net, no confidence), and he looks 5’9″.

Still can’t see it. The whole lot of them were abysmal tonight, no structure or discipline in their positioning. Is this the ‘swarm’ system? Because it sucks.

2. Henry says:

Clemmonson was on waivers. Did he get claimed?

3. speeds says:

I thought it would take more for LT to hit the panic button!

4. Suntory Hanzo says:

That was quick LT! Nicely done!

Is there a way to send you a Personal message LT? Or an email?

5. RexLibris says:

But what do they move? And to whom?

History suggests either a 3 for 1 or a 1st round pick. Neither of which, to be perfectly honest, I find very appealing given the mercurial nature of most goalie performances and the hills this roster has ahead of it.

6. BoysontheBus says:

Its really tough to make a move this early in the season. The most bold move I see available would be signing Bryzgalov.

7. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Hertl with a goal in the first minute.

8. wheatnoil says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Hertl with a goal in the first minute.

I’m not sure that Hertl solves the goaltender problem.

9. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Henry:
    Clemmonson was on waivers.Did he get claimed?

Florida claimed him.

10. Dead Cat Bounce says:

wheatnoil: I’m not sure that Hertl solves the goaltender problem.

He would likely be better than Dubnyk.

11. Moose says:

With BTB’s coming up which wolf do you throw LaBarbera to, Wash or Pitt? Both?

12. wheatnoil says:

BoysontheBus:

49 contracts. They can sign Bryz but it puts them to the edge. Man. That SMac waiver claim continues to pay dividends.

13. Racki says:

We’re on the road for a while now, so at least Bryzgalov won’t be able to complain about the cold Edmonton weather for a bit.

Suntory Hanzo:
    That was quick LT!Nicely done!

Is there a way to send you a Personal message LT?Or an email?

Contact button at the top of the page, under the logo.

15. Racki says:

Dead Cat Bounce: He would likely be better than Dubnyk.

Those in glass houses, Roberto.

16. RMGS says:

If he played in Portugal and Dubnyk was a soccer goalie, he would need security leaving the building tonight – even on the road.

BoysontheBus: The most bold move I see available would be signing Bryzgalov.

It’s a bad move, but it’s the best prediction available.

speeds:
    I thought it would take more for LT to hit the panic button!

18. BrazilianOil says:

Just hoping yak is not the price. Miller for a 1st and prospects? Oilers have cap space for that?

19. RexLibris says:

Platzer with the 2nd assist on the 4th goal in a 6-1 blowout. Darn, those Rupert kids have some nice chemistry.

20. RexLibris says:

Khaira with a goal tonight too, the 1st of the evening.

21. Pablo Aimar says:

This years first should have a lot of value and should be enough. Add Schultz for cap reasons and you should be able to get someone. Moving Yakupov in a deal like this would be disastrous.

22. dessert1111 says:

I’m not sure if I’m for completely giving up on dubnyk yet, but I think it’s worth noting that bachman has apparently played well in okc. Otherwise Ottawa has 2 good goalies, I bet the price would be steep though.

Nurse 0-2-2 +1 tonight, he’s 7, 1-6-7 +6. Nice start.

24. speeds says:

For most teams, a goalie having a bad year can cost them the playoffs.

Giving up a first for a goalie at this point would be a pretty reactionary move (depending to some extent on the goalie)

25. Racki says:

dessert1111:

The Oilers have enough AHL talent in net here… in other words, let’s not bring up Bachman’s name again.. I don’t think that’s the answer we’re looking for here.

The Oilers definitely need to do something here though.

As far as thoughts of Yakupov being moved for any goalie (by other people).. I’d like to think that MacTavish is a smart guy, and smart guys don’t trade top talent for goaltenders, even if said top talent is off to a shakey start.

I will say it again.. goalies rarely regain form after having a big mental breakdown. I don’t see Dubnyk recovering from this anytime soon, and that’s why I AM pushing the panic button.

The season needs to get off on the right foot..

26. SkipIsChris says:

I’m sure somewhere in the Oilers’ bible is a “10 Commandments” list that includes “Thou shall not lose a lead that St. Smytty has given thou”. It’s going to be next to impossible to defend Dubey any further.

27. Pablo Aimar says:

They are staring at a possible (and likely) 8th year out of the playoffs at this point. Trading the 1st for a goalie who can make a save would not be reactionary at all. I would applaud the restraint if they did that and not something even more extreme.

28. RexLibris says:

Nurse 0-2-2 +1 tonight, he’s 7, 1-6-7 +6. Nice start.

Gee, I’m kind of worried about those point totals. Lots of assists but not enough goals. We’ll have to wait and see…

*crosses fingers and waits* ;)

29. SkipIsChris says:

And yes, if you read this MacT, please don’t give away Yak for a goalie. Please.

30. dawgtoy says:

Remember the story Marty McSorley tells on Boys on the Bus. One day on the McSorleys’ farm in Cayuga, Ont., the family hound retreated from a coyote. The story is that Marty’s dad, Bill, grabbed the dog by the scruff of the neck, lifted him out of the truck and fired him back into the fray. Therefore throw Dubnyk back into the fray Monday. What could possibly go wrong? Cough *Ovechkin Cough. Never mind!

speeds:

For most teams, a goalie having a bad year can cost them the playoffs.

I think they have to come back with LaBarbera now. How can they put Dubnyk in again Monday? I don’t see how they can.

32. dawgtoy says:

On the other hand, playing Dubnyk could almost guarantee Sam Reinhart, and picking first is something we’ve become VERY good at. PUT DOWN THE PITCHFORK. I kid I kid.

33. nelson88 says:

MacT has made some very nice moves this offseason (Gordon, Perron) but I wonder if he would like to have a do over on handling Dubey this summer.

The best goalies are supremely confident/arrogant. I don’t think anyone would accuse Dubey of being either of those two things. Being publicly skeptical of your player in the off-season may work to motivate a F or D but is really quite stupid when it comes to goaltenders. A very rookie error. Interested to see how he fixes it.

Lowetide: No panic here. Dubnyk needs to find his game, whatever the matter may be. Finding it in the NHL could cost the season.

As someone who watched the 05/06 Oilers be very good an almost miss the playoffs due to awful goaltending, I agree.

Do something, but don’t do something stupid.

As Head Coach of the 05/06 Oilers I don’t think MacT will let the grass grow under his feet.

Options are a bit thin right now.

As a DD defender and supporter I’m finding it tougher to stay positive.

Small samples and all, but the season is a small sample when you think about it.

35. Andropod says:

Am I correct that Dubnyk right now is not as good as the 3 goalies behind him in the system?

36. Zipdot says:

BYE DUBNYK

DON’T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN YOUR ASS

BACK TO THE ECHL AND LET US ALL FORGET YOUR CURSED NAME

37. oliveoilers says:

Once again, it is obvious that we are having goalie issues, and every other GM can see that. The asking price will be high. However, can a #1 pick get us even average goaltending?

38. Zipdot says:

Average goaltending? Hell, I’ll settle for shitty goaltending right about now….

39. LostBoy says:

speeds:

For most teams, a goalie having a bad year can cost them the playoffs.

I would normally agree that harshing on the goalie five games in is kneejerk (and I’ve been following the team since 1979), and maybe this will still work out. But there are a lot of factors in play here (way more than a management-secure starting goalie having a bad string in early February), and given all the portents, it’s hard to see MacTavish standing pat for long. I’m not really for or against it, I like Dubnyk just fine. But the screws are pretty tight.

I wouldn’t trade anything substantial for goaltending help right now. I’d look outside the NHL. An ultimate solution can wait.

40. RexLibris says:

Has anyone figured out a way to prove that this is Horcoff’s fault yet?

Also, I think we can safely say that Petry is no longer in danger of being our team goat.

41. Numenius says:

Maybe the Rangers would take Dubnyk for Lundqvist. :)

42. BrazilianOil says:

The oilers are 7th in GF .

43. gr8one says:

Trade for Khabi!

44. steveb12344 says:

Brian elliot is surely available. .

O. Roy and our first?

45. steveb12344 says:

Hell, maybe we throw in Nultz and they can ship us back Maggie while we’re at it.

46. VanOil says:

Anaheim has 3 goalies that I would start ahead of Dubby so far this year;

Viktor Fasth
    Jonas Hiller
    John Gibson

What would it take to pry one free?

47. dangilitis says:

I also think it’s too quick to give up assets when Dubnyk may just be shaking off the rust. I used to think Kipper would stay bad every year up until November, but until last year, my wish didn’t come true.

What I do worry, though, is that Dubnyk has always let soft ones in but would also make some mind-blowing saves as well, and if I recall, his SPG in the 3rd seemed to be best. This stretch of games I have seen only the former.

Also, for a tall guy with big pads, does anyone think he’s struggling in lieu of the new equipment regulations? McIlroy went from No 1 in the word to a shell of his former self after switching clubs, and I think Dubnyk’s having a bit of trouble adapting.

48. Numenius says:

Looking on the bright side, if the Oilers were in the Eastern conference they’d still be ahead of 5 teams.

49. BlacqueJacque says:

On a positive note, I can say it seems clear I was wrong about Arcobello.

50. Racki says:

You know, despite the bad goaltending and the brutal 3-on-1 to end the game… the Oilers played what I thought for the most part was a good game. For the first time in a while, I saw them controlling tempo and keeping sustained pressure.

They still have work to do in their own zone, for sure, but as a team, the sky is no longer falling. It’s just the case of a guy in a bad slump tonight. I never like to pin a game on one guy, especially the goaltender (since they’re so psychologically volatile), but the Oilers really could have won this one if the goaltending was even just average.

51. dangilitis says:

I don’t care about sample sizes, and if you’ve read any of my posts I fully believe Smyth is an NHL player this year, but if you had told me the top 3 scorers at any point in the season would be Hall Arcobello Smyth, I would have laughed. Arcobello must stay on the team when Gagner returns or there are no hockey gods…

52. VanOil says:

BlacqueJacque,

Also Belov is looking better and Yesse is a keeper

Racki:

This is exactly the reason I wrote the post. The Oilers answered the question about being on the road and they played well enough to win. Losing in OT is no sin, THE WAY they lost is a bullet to the heart.

No sir. This has to be addressed.

54. Andropod says:

dangilitis:

I’ve been harping on that for a while.

55. Lucinius says:

The most bothersome thing about the issues Dubnyk is having is that they are goaltending 101 issues. No goalie above the ECHL should be consistently having these issues. He’s over thinking plays, he’s trying to go out of his way to prove something when he should be trying to settle down.

He cheated on the first goal — something you cannot get away with at the NHL level — too many players can pick that spot (sad thing is.. Kadri almost didn’t, if Dubnyk had gone down just an inch less that never goes in and just hits him in the shoulder/collarbone).

Wrap around was a bad goal, but a bad goal that happens. You guess wrong at times. There should have been some communication from his D about the player coming in, or he should have been keeping an eye out. But its the ‘shit happens’ bad goal.

The third bad goal.. you just shake your head. It just shouldn’t happen if the goalie is following the goaltender guidebook, which is all about being square to the shooter and never making the first move; instead he kinda flops a bit, over-reacting to a devolving situation. Nevermind that he should have frozen the puck; he had it covered and intentionally moved it. Even if you’re on a team that sucks at face offs, you freeze it, let the change go through. Sure, you may face a scoring opportunity soon after, but goals off face offs are actually fairly rare. Its percentages; and Dubnyk can’t do math.

If this was the singular bad game, you either put him right back in or you sit him for a stretch. His third bad game, out of four, where his only other game was just ‘okay’? You seriously question him.

Also, Eakins deserves some blame. You pull Dubnyk after two bad goals; you have to given the circumstances of both the game and season. Bad coaching decision to leave an un-confident goalie out there in a winnable game.

My big three thumbs down for the game?

1) Dubnyk; horrible game. Cost his team again.
    2) Eakins; completely mis-handled Dubnyk tonight.

56. flyfish1168 says:

Luongo just let in a softie lets trade for him.

57. Numenius says:

BlacqueJacque:
    On a positive note, I can say it seems clear I was wrong about Arcobello.

Yeah, he killed it this game. 3 beautiful assists, 15/22 FO, and 55.2 CF%.

58. VanOil says:

flyfish1168:
    Luongo just let in a softie lets trade for him.

With that contract! lol

59. Racki says:

Lucinius:

While he is the team’s best offensive blueline weapon, I agree. I would try a game with him up in the pressbox. That probably won’t happen.. but I’d be behind Eakins if he did that.

Yak will likely be back next game, but what a game for Smyth.. silenced his critics for at least one game (I’m a critic, but I give credit where due).

60. Jonathan Willis says:

VanOil,

Just to clarify, that’s Viktor ’0.826 SV%’ Fasth, right?

61. "Steve Smith" says:

Jonathan Willis:
    VanOil,

Just to clarify, that’s Viktor ’0.826 SV%’ Fasth, right?

Yeah, but you can’t draw definitive conclusions about a goaltender’s overall play this early in the…oh, I see what you did there.

62. commonfan14 says:

It would be nice if MacT were actually qualified to make the decisions he’s being faced with tonight, instead of a guy with no direct experience whose buddy gave him a job without bothering to interview anyone else.

Just imagine a world where he trades Yak and Doobie for Miller, who proceeds to be thoroughly mediocre for us before leaving under bad circumstances – while Yak yaks it up in Buffalo for a generation and Doobie recovers to a level above Miller.

This feels bad, but it’s not THAT far away from where things were after that San Jose game last year.

63. VanOil says:

Jonathan Willis,

Yes, one hit wonder Fasth. Should be cheap. I am that despondent. Mind you I would prefer there AHL goalie too.

64. Racki says:

dangilitis:

There was one goal a game or two ago where i’d say you could blame equipment. A couple tonight (Wrap around and the one shot behind his back, basically) were just bad positioning/technique. I’m currently seeing more mental errors than what strikes me as equipment-learning-curve. I want Dubnyk to battle out of this as much as the next supportive fan though.. i just am very skeptical that can happen before completely hemorrhaging. Each game spent waiting and hoping for the “better than average most of the time” Dubnyk to come back could prove costly.

65. Suntory Hanzo says:

Thanks. Sent.

66. Jonathan Willis says:

VanOil,

I actually do like Fasth, I’m just not convinced he’s going to really be an upgrade on what Dubnyk should eventually get back to.

67. VanOil says:

Jonathan Willis,

I hope your correct. I am confident in Yakupov bouncing back after sitting but don’t know what it will take for Dubnyk to find his Mojo.

68. Manitoba Oilers says:

LT What about neuvirth?
    I think he’s a quality starter but because Holtby is in a backup roll
    First round maybe?

69. flyfish1168 says:

The caps are not a physical team. Why not sit Brown and have smyth on the 4th line. Yak needs to play. MacT should just come out and say he has confidence in Devan and this should at least give him some confidence.

70. Rondo says:

Jake Allen

Manitoba Oilers:
    LT What about neuvirth?
    I think he’s a quality starter but because Holtby is in a backup roll
    First round maybe?

72. Southern Oil says:

Just curious – many posters on the net are talking about dealing Yakupov (which is nuts IMO) – why aren’t people talking about sending out Gagner for a goalie? Not saying I support that move but if they are going to make a move, there are two types:
    - easy (eg. signing Bryzgalov, doing nothing) – the Tambi approach
    - being bold (?) – the MacT approach?

RNH is clearly #1, Gordon clearly #3 – has Arcobello done enough to make him a competent #2?

The problem with dealing with this issue now vs. in the summer, it will cost us more to make a bold move.

73. Ice Sage says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    That was quick LT!Nicely done!

Is there a way to send you a Personal message LT?Or an email?

Echo.

Welcome Ryan Miller

74. TheOtherJohn says:

A portion of the loss, absent an injury, is on the coaching staff. Less than minute to play, draw in Leafs zone and we put out our best players. Nuge loses draw very cleanly and the Leafs come out with speed. Absent a clean break out the Leafs are rushed getting into the attack and Lupul doesn’t score. You sign Gordon for moments like that then don’t use him. In OT we have Arcobello take D zone face off . He lost. Those are each small mistakes but mistakes nonetheless. Laid at feet of coaching staff. When you hire a plumber use him when you need a plumber.

J Schultz has to understand that not every play calls for him to jump into the play. And he jumps into the offensive play a huge proportion of the time. More than any Oiler D I’ve ever seen. Yes, more than Coffey Plus when other team gets possession of the puck, get back. FAST! Mistake at end of the game shows Schultz accurately measured the “reward” if it worked, with absolutely no freaking clue what the risk was. Psssst, the risk was a 3-1.

Right now he looks like Dick Tarnstrom

Smytty had a good game.

Dubnyk is today what he was in the middle of the summer. A middle of the pack starting goalie. He ain’t winning us any games.

75. Ice Sage says:

Yes, he needs a wake-up call and a deep training week. This almost smells like something extra-curricular, he’s so off-form and uninterested.

76. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: I would run with LaBarbera on Monday night, if he plays well then he gets the job until Dubnyk regains his form. I wouldn’t start DD for a few games. Something’s amiss.

77. Ice Sage says:

Rondo:
    Jake Allen

Yakupov for Allen would be ‘BOLD’

JK

partly

OK, I’ve waded into 40 creek

78. Manitoba Oilers says:

Ice Sage: Yakupov for Allen would be ‘BOLD’

JK

partly

OK, I’ve waded into 40 creek

No it would be stupid as it gets

79. Ice Sage says:

Dead Cat Bounce: If Labarbara gets ventilated by Ovechkin and company, which is quite likely, what do you do next?

Bachman.
    This is battle stations, island buddy.
    But, you know well how teams play differently for different goalies. Oilers protect the house better with LaB or BTO in net – we’ve seen it once this year. Something’s wrong with DD – he needs a re-set.

If you were a non-trolling fan, you’d advocate for this, given the urgency of getting back to a winning record, but… well… you know…

80. Racki says:

See how Taylor Hall does between the pipes for a few games

82. HiddenDarts says:

I knew the conversation would be great here, but let’s not all start COMMENTING IN CAPITALS and offering up the first.

Let’s remember that this team looks pretty good. Let’s look at how 3 of the top 5 NHL goalies have performed in the first 10 games of the past few seasons (Lundqvist anybody??)

That said, let’s get on the phone with Bryz’s agent. Trading anything for an average goalie at this point is a guaranteed lost trade!

83. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Ice Sage: Bachman.
    This is battle stations, island buddy.
    But, you know well how teams play differently for different goalies.Oilers protect the house better with LaB or BTO in net – we’ve seen it once this year.Something’s wrong with DD – he needs a re-set.

If your next move is Bachman, you might as well pack up your tent and go home.

He’s .897 in the AHL this season.

Last season he posted a sparkling .885.

84. Numenius says:

Lucinius:

1) Dubnyk; horrible game. Cost his team again.
    2) Eakins; completely mis-handled Dubnyk tonight.

I agree with 1 and 3, but not 2. Eakins was gambling that the Oilers could pull out the win in any case, knowing it would give Dubnyk confidence despite his mediocre play. It backfired and the opposite happened, but I’d say it was a risk worth taking.

85. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: I’m not buying that it’s likely, the Caps are stinky. I’d go to LaBarbera with the idea he plays again the next night.

Washington is 5th in the league with 34 S/G and 31.6 SA/G.

It appears they are riding some bad percentages.

It’s likely.

86. "Steve Smith" says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Fortunately, nothing similar is happening with the Oilers.

Dead Cat Bounce: If your next move is Bachman, you might as well pack up your tent and go home.

He’s .897 in the AHL this season.

Last season he posted a sparkling .885.

I don’t know if .897 means .920 in Victoria, but Bachman is in fact at .920.

88. TheOtherJohn says:

No reason to panic. None! If we have 5-6 points after we play Montreal Oct 22 …… Light your hair on fire & panic. Hard work solves most problems.

89. flyfish1168 says:

Ryan Millar is done as goalie after last season. We don’t need someone living in the past.

90. Racki says:

He’s .897 in the AHL this season.

Last season he posted a sparkling .885.

I don’t really have the answers though if a trade can’t be done. Maybe you sign Bryz for cheap (if he’ll endure the weather)… or a long shot in Theodore or Hedberg.. hell, I don’t know. That would be really reaching though but I’d imagine they’d come quite cheap at this point. Ideally Craig Anderson is on waivers tomorrow.

Did Bachman get a shutout tonight? If so, that would explain the discrepancy between DSF’s SV% for Bachman and the real deal. Hockeydb still lists him sub 900, but only 2 GP

91. VanOil says:

Dead Cat Bounce: If your next move is you might as well pack up your tent and go home.

I am sure there is an LT’s family coffin camping joke in there somewhere

92. commonfan14 says:

@DamoSpin

“Doubt it was offered. But would LA have taken Yakupov for Bernier?”

What a dink.

93. Colonel Obvious says:

That was both one of the best things I’ve seen, and one of the worst. Everyone here knows what I mean.

That said trading a first round pick for a goalie would be really dumb. It’s a massive overpay, the kind of thing teams don’t. Recover from. There isn’t that guy available.

94. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: I don’t know if .897 means .920 in Victoria, but Bachman is in fact at .920.

95. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Racki: While we all know you are the resident troll, this is absolutely correct. Thinking Bachman is going to hold the fort while Dubnyk wanders the earth in search of his game is just wishful thinking to me. Bachman will likely get murdered. I don’t have much faith in Labarbera either, even if he did earn the teams only win so far. The team needs something a bit more.

Bachman did indeed have a 1GAA performance tonight.

A larger sample size would indicate he’s shit.

96. Racki says:

I hate to be the guy that agrees with DSF, but I think the scouting report on Bachman is indeed “shit.”

That’s great he had a good game for OKC. That’s pretty much all I have to say about that.

Colonel Obvious:
    That said trading a first round pick for a goalie would be really dumb.It’s a massive overpay, the kind of thing teams don’t. Recover from. There isn’t that guy available.

Agree with this.

97. Numenius says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Bachman did indeed have a 1GAA performance tonight.

A larger sample size would indicate he’s shit.

98. flyfish1168 says:

Arcobello can replace Gagner as a centerman. Mark is better defensively and on the dot. He really needs some puck luck to get his 1st goal. If we move Gagner to the wing we can trade Hemsky.

99. Numenius says:

What suggests to me that Dubnyk can’t ultimately be a solid starting goaltender is the little self-flagellating head bob he sometimes does after goals. He’s too hard on himself when he fails and can’t let his mistakes go, which really saps one’s confidence. Eakins himself mentioned something to this effect in one of his recent interviews.

100. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Numenius: Come on, you’re better than that. You based your original argument on a small sample size and now when it doesn’t suit your point you claim the number’s unreliable due to small sample size.

Look at his performance in the AHL over the past 3 seasons:

.887

.920

.897

Considering he was the backup goaltender in the AHL, not the starter, I am willing to be convinced he is even a replacement level goaltender in the NHL.

Last season, he played 13 games for the Dallas Stars in the NHL with a SV% of .885.

Any wonder why he is still in the AHL?

Apparently the Dallas Stars answered that question when they signed Dan Ellis to be their backup goaltender.

Please produce some compelling evidence that Bachman is an NHL option.

101. Colonel Obvious says:

Trading Gagner is the least bad alternative. However, it would have to be for someone actually good. Not a mediocrity like Elliott, or an expensive guy on an expiring contract like Miller.

That’s the problem. No one is available. Ironically, the most best of the second stringers is probably Reimer. I’d also look at Lindback. But it doesn’t matter because these guys aren’t going to be traded other than for something ludicrous. As the kids say, it is what it is No choice but to wait it out.

102. Dahoosman says:

@Lowetide,

I tweeted this to JWillis tonight, but I think I’d like your take on the point. I watch all the games on delay with my wife. She’s a converted Canucks fan, and last year around this time we had a one week old son … our first child. Since that time, I’ve had “better” nights of sleep, but nothing compared to what I used to get as a childless man.

Lowetide, you’ve spoken about your kids. Do you remember adjusting to the ‘new normal’ of sleeplessness when they were born? Could this be a factor in Dubnyk’s performance? I think it could very well be. We love to jump on these guys with our stats talk. They are men, first and foremost. Young men, just like myself trying to figure their way in the world.

Let him get a couple nights on this road trip. Let’s see what happens.

103. Gret99zky says:

Dahoosman,

Good post.

Totally agree. He has plenty on his mind with his new wife and child. And a GM that doesn’t believe in him.

104. Gerta Rauss says:

Just catching up on the PVR now after a long work week-

As bleak as things look right now, this is the correct course of action. We are not going to solve this problem before Monday night. Start Labarberra on Monday and go from there. Trading Yak for anything right now is just nuts.

105. commonfan14 says:

Dahoosman: What’s the point of this story? My wife pointed out Dubnyk and his wife just had a baby. It’s evidenced by our knoweldge and her seeing the back of his mask tonight.

Getzlaf also had a shit year after his first kid was born, then rebounded big time last year.

106. Numenius says:

Dead Cat Bounce: No.

Look at his performance in the AHL over the past 3 seasons:

.887

.920

.897

Any wonder why he is still in the AHL?

Please produce some compelling evidence that Bachman is an NHL option.

I wasn’t trying to prove Bachman was an NHL option, I was just unconvinced by your argument as it stood.

Seeing the additional numbers, etc., it’s much more persuasive, and I’ll admit I have to agree with you.

107. TeeVee says:

Colonel Obvious,

So you wouldn’t pay One 1st round pick for Cory Schneider?

108. hags9k says:

I think MacT goes to Dubie and tells him he has all the confidence in the world in him. He gets the next start. Then he works the phones for a goalie until the handset melts. Chances the Oilers make a panic trade that haunts us for a decade? 100%. We suck again. Fuck.

109. Colonel Obvious says:

TeeVee,

I would, but Schneider isn’t available for a first round pick. I wouldn’t trade a first round pick for someone else’s second best goalie, which is what we are talking about.

110. dessert1111 says:

Numbers are a bit wonky here. I blame the constant island fog.

111. speeds says:

Lowetide: I like Dubnyk, always have. However, you could make a very good case that this 1-3-1 team should be 3-2. If the Oilers can endure these early season mistakes, good on them. However, the team hasn’t been in contention since 2006, so I would think there’s some kind of urgency.

Sunk costs, the past is the past, etc.

It’s not necessarily comforting to realize you can only control what you can control. Looking back at those missed playoff seasons and allowing them to dictate current decision, through impatience, making would not be wise management. The right decision, whatever that is, is not particularly affected by the fact that EDM missed the playoffs in 08/09.

Take a deep breath LT.

112. dessert1111 says:

By the way, I am mark arcobello’s biggest supporter, but those of you who think it’s a good idea to trade gagner at this point because arco has played well might be being a bit over the top…still only 5 games so far, let’s wait another 5 until we completely blow this team up…

113. TeeVee says:

Colonel Obvious,

Understood. Just stating that a quality starter is definitely worth a 1st rounder.

I’m of the 100% belief that this is the time we use that pick for something…be it a goalie or other.

114. Hammers says:

Jesus calm down . This was a fire wagon hockey game where last shot wins . Most of you would love Bernier but really he was no better than Dubnyk . You must come back to Dubnyk Monday or you ruin the player and any hope this year . I actually am beginning to hate Eakins Swarm system . Cost 2 goals tonight . Yak & Gags will make a difference and again I don’t agree with the message sent to Yak . Yea Smyth got 2 goals but where is this info that Eakins can handle young talent .I have been told it was a shit show tonight but I actually enjoyed the game with all its mistakes . I may be wrong but I think scoring is way up this first couple of weeks ??? Net depth & new equipment , Maybe ???? McT has this road trip to decide where this team is at and Eakins Swarm needs to be thought through . If its such a good idea why hasn’t it been used before .

115. Racki says:

So yesterday Bachman was a crap goaltender with a sub .900 SV%, but today he’s great because he’s .920? Come on guys…

This guy isn’t going to help the Oilers any.

116. maudite says:

1A
    1B

put torches and pitchforks down. Put lababera in. If he wins, keep him in. If he loses. Swap again.

Explain to dubnyk you still have faith based on his history, just needs to settle back in again and when he gets another shot, the horn is still his for the taking. Season is long. We can’t afford to lose points as we are definitely going to be in a battle for our lives to make it, but still…This team can put pucks in the net. All day everyday. We don’t need world beater goaltending, we need average. Between those two guys, we should be able to achieve that or above. I am not putting my 1st overall or any serious asset in play at this point to make what could be a sideways move. Would I trade for Miller? Yes, but I won’t overpay for him. Would i sign bryz? Yes, but cheaply as he’s also a complete crapshoot really.

Jumping up now and pushing all your chips into the middle is doing so on tilt. Tilted players are easy money.

117. Racki says:

Hammers:

The “Swarm” defense isn’t Eakins’ brainchild. He might have his own variance on it, perhaps, but the Oilers are far from alone when it comes to employing a swarm defense.

118. Colonel Obvious says:

TeeVee,

Schneider isn’t just a quality goaltender. He’s one of the best in the league. And a late first round pick is very different than an early round pick.

You also have to take into consideration contracts. Put it altogether and there is a very short list of goalies I’d trade a first round pick for. Schneider would be one. Miller not in a million years. Never trade a first round pick for a rental player of any kind.

119. TeeVee says:

Colonel Obvious,

I agree on all points.

120. nycoil says:

What team would trade for Dubnyk? At 3.5m per, there are tons iof cheaper and better options out there. What team would trade for either of our goalies? None. We are stuck with Dubnyk so we better hope he figures out how to stop sucking the hind banana,

121. stevezie says:

For once the angry masses aren’t wrong. Debate which goals are soft all you like, but the truth is in the number .829

This is no time to panic. There is never a good time to panic. I believe Dubnyk will return to his historical standard because most people do and no anecdote is going to change that. We need a short term solution.

The real problem is LaBarbera has also looked awful.

If we shift our thinking from “we must replace Dubby” to “we must replace Labarberra” then suddenly the world isn’t quite so dark. Now is not the time to trade Yak for Ryan Miller so we can overpay him.

Now is the time to go get Neuvirth, or Bryz, or whoever you think should have gotten LaBarbera’s job. Shouldn’t be that hard.

Dahoosman:
    @Lowetide,

I tweeted this to JWillis tonight, but I think I’d like your take on the point.I watch all the games on delay with my wife.She’s a converted Canucks fan, and last year around this time we had a one week old son … our first child.Since that time, I’ve had “better” nights of sleep, but nothing compared to what I used to get as a childless man.

What’s the point of this story?My wife pointed out Dubnyk and his wife just had a baby.It’s evidenced by our knoweldge and her seeing the back of his mask tonight.

Lowetide, you’ve spoken about your kids.Do you remember adjusting to the ‘new normal’ of sleeplessness when they were born?Could this be a factor in Dubnyk’s performance?I think it could very well be.We love to jump on these guys with our stats talk.They are men, first and foremost.Young men, just like myself trying to figure their way in the world.

Let him get a couple nights on this road trip.Let’s see what happens.

Actually, I remember that time of my life well, it was an insane adjustment. I went from having two wobbly pops at 10:30 and then heading to bed at midnight to ‘sleep when your kids sleep’ and it wasn’t easy at all.

I especially remember when they were 2 and 3 and 4, watching Treehouse TV with sick kiddies at 2am on a workday.

I certainly think it’s a consideration, but Dubnyk’s job doesn’t allow for gaps in performance. Maybe the road trip came at a good time. :-)

123. delooper says:

They’re not trading away Dubnyk, at least not anytime soon. It’s fun to talk about urgency, but if you’re the only person that’s urgent (and your trading partner is not), you’re going to lose every single trade.

The Oilers will turn things around. Maybe they start the season off with a 10 game losing streak. That’d be sad, but they’re better than this. They’ll turn it around.

speeds: And if EDM sticks with him, there may well be a stretch where they should go 1-3-1 and Dubnyk lifts them to 3-2.

Sunk costs, the past is the past, etc.

It’s not necessarily comforting to realize you can only control what you can control.Looking back at those missed playoff seasons and allowing them to dictate current decision, through impatience, making would not be wise management.The right decision, whatever that is, is not particularly affected by the fact that EDM missed the playoffs in 08/09.

Take a deep breath LT.

I have a very hard time reconciling DD’s past (3 solid seasons now) and the seeming disintegration of his game. I know there have been tipped goals and I know there’s been bad luck, but this is about as bad a stretch as I can recall for an Oiler starter.

I honestly don’t think you can put him back in until he’s made some adjustments/is more consistent.

125. slopitch says:

I remember when the Oilers traded a first for Roloson. Then I remember how big a difference he made. I’d move a first for the right guy.

Best backup in the league is Lehner IMO. Sens have always liked Smid. I’d start there.

Either way, I agree with you LT. 4 PTs for a bubble playoff team is huge.

126. DeadmanWaking says:

Gret99zky: And a GM that doesn’t believe in him.

This is nearly as much projection as commentary on “body language”. Not every athlete sulks. Nor does every athletic melt-down derive from sulking. Nor did MacT signal any such thing. MacT was trying to change the culture by making a bold change. That’s not necessarily personal. I’m sure half the team was dangled over the rail this summer as kahuna bait.

If LT somehow persuades Gabriel Desjardins into posting concise, thoughtful comments on every thread, and GD says, “but one condition: first you have to get rid of that pixel-hogging spambot DMW” then he should fill his boots (in some universe where reasonable people reasonably demand such things).

I don’t think my contributions would improve if I felt I was untouchable. Probably the other way around. “Home is the place where, when you go there, they have to take you in.” At least, most of the time. Do we behave our best there? Short of lemon tree and immediate family, confidence is a moving target for all of us, in most of our relationships.

Rahul Parikh says even his training as a pediatrician didn’t adequately prepare him for those first few months of fatherhood. Unlike medical interns, who take turns working 24-hour shifts, parents never get a night off.

“I was a ghost of myself for a little while,” says Parikh, 38, …. who has a 2½-year-old daughter and another baby due in August. “Even starting medical school and becoming a doctor wasn’t like that. At home, when the baby screams, it’s all on you.”

Parikh says he’s not surprised by new research suggesting that 14% of new dads develop postpartum depression — about the same rate seen in new moms.

More from Dads’ hormones change, too, during pregnancy:

At the same time that testosterone is falling, a man’s supply of prolactin — a hormone that helps mothers make milk — rises more than 20%, Brizendine says.

No one knows why. But at least we know now that prolactin doesn’t improve reaction time, positioning, or depth perception.

127. Cactus says:

After paying insane Toronto prices to watch Dubnyk lose that game, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it’s not quite time to blow this goaltending situation up. We’ve got two goaltenders playing well below their historic levels. If Edmonton had rode some unbelievable luck last year (like Toronto) we wouldn’t be having this discussion. This is entirely coloured by 7 years of futility (and believe me, I’m feeling it too). An emotional response is understandable but not how good decisions are made.

Unfortunately, we need to ride this tandem out until game 15. It may cost the playoffs in the end, but it’s better than giving up a valuable asset for what may simply be a clustering of bad results. Plus, hopefully by game 15, Eakins will have been able to instill his system a little better and get some superior defensive results. That third Leafs goal was entirely on the skaters.

One final thought: unbelievably, the strength of this team right now is down the middle. What’s really apparent when you’re there is how good the centres have been positionally, even guys like Arcobello and Acton. Gordon is a gift and Nuge is the best player on this team right now and it’s not that close. If this centre play keeps up and a few other things can improve, this team can go places.

But let’s not freak out… yet.

128. russ99 says:

IMO that tying goal would have been saved if Dubnyk was wearing last year’s pads.

His problems are confidence and equipment related. IMO, a 5-10 game stint in the AHL with no pressure could get him use to his new equipment and get his confidence back.

Dubnyk showed enough last year that tells me he’s starting goalie material. The oilers just need a plan to get him back, not a knee-jerk move (which is becoming too frequent with MacT) to try and make the playoffs.

Can LaBarbera and Bachman get us through the next stretch of games?

129. brackenbury says:

We cannot wait 20 games for DD to find his game. It quite possibly is too late
    By then. And a hole to deep to climb out of to make the playoffs s a very real
    Possibility. I believe DD could b a reliable starter in this league somewhere. Unlikely here
    Though. GM has no confidence in him. As evidenced by making inquiries about
    Other tenders through the summer. Fanes have lost confidence, tough market
    To play in when your not performing. Most importantly he himself has lost confidence.
    DD has a better chance of success in a market that’s not such a pressure cooker. So,
    Options: take achance on bryzgalof. Or a trade. STL , I really like Jake Allen. He’s young and
    Cheap. So the return MUST b good. Let’s just say we did give them YAK. I think its fair to say
    Allen comes here with another asset. Maybe 2. How about, yak for allen and
    Schwartz? Or Allen, Jackman for yak and Smid, or the overrated (IMO) petry? How bout
    Allen , and Lappierre? Anaheim has some depth in goal. Maybe we talk with them
    Reimer in TO ? U Know may as well bring his name up whil we’re having those
    Phaneuf discussions. Miller in Buf for yak? NO WAY. Unless they want to bring
    Grigorenko into the discussions. Or eat some of Vaneks salary. And yes I realize
    Their is huge salary cap implications in many of these possibilities. Thoughts anyone?

DMW gets as many pixels as he needs as long as this blog stands. Love the take on MacT’s summer, and agree that most of the names we see on the roster would have been discussed.

Cactus: Great point about center. We don’t have long discussions about the position anymore. Part of that is Nuge, but Gordon and Arcobello and Acton have in fact cleaned up the position.

Here’s the 28th-55th goalies in the NHL in terms of SV%

Ridiculously small sample size warning.

Some really good names in there.

I need to calm down too, but dammit the Oilers haven’t looked this good in eons and its tough to watch them lose games they dominate.

Corey Crawford 0.910
    Viktor Fasth 0.826
    Jeff Zatkoff 0.8
    Martin Biron 0.763
    Scott Clemmensen 0.750

132. russ99 says:

Enough of bold moves.

Besides, we have just as big of problems our goaltender issue on this team, like we have a group of puck movers on defense, yet only one or two can make a smart simple play to break up a good chance; many of our offensive players aren’t scoring goals; and the systems used in the offensive and defensive zones don’t seem to mesh well with our current player group’s skill set.

We have a new coach and a rookie coach. It will take time to get things working, and both the players and the coach need to adjust.

Nobody should be thinking of making moves in regards to the playoffs until the above is sorted out.

russ99:

Can LaBarbera and Bachman get us through the next stretch of games?

DD said his pads only shrunk 1.5″ in length, and nothing in width.

not a knee-jerk move (which is becoming too frequent with MacT)

Just curious what you see as knee jerk moves?

I count the facepunchers as 1, but the only 1 so far.

Frequent?

134. russ99 says:

Woodguy,

True, but could he have been cheating on width, like so many goalies have done in the recent past?

135. russ99 says:

Woodguy,

Not getting a center into camp is way bigger than face punchers.

Bringing in Grebeshkov instead of grabbing one of the veteran FA defensemen on the cheap is another.

Facepunchers is the least problematic.

136. Yeti says:

russ99:

Not getting a center into camp is way bigger than face punchers.

Facepunchers is the least problematic.

Rus – not getting a center in camp is the opposite of knee-jerk. It was sticking your head in the sand and hoping for the best. Very luckily, the best seems to have come true (Arcobello) but there was no need to take that risk at the time.

And Grebeshkov came with NHL experience. Yes, I’d have preferred Gilbert. But it wasn’t knee-jerk. It was perhaps the wrong decision, but that’s a different question.

russ99:
    Woodguy,

Not getting a center into camp is way bigger than face punchers.

Facepunchers is the least problematic.

You said MacT’s knee-jerk is becoming frequent.

Centers don’t seem to be a problem and don’t qualify as knee-jerk, in fact many blasted him for not doing anything, which is the opposite of knee-jerk.

The question now is what to do with Arco/Acton when Gagner gets back.

Grebs was done in the summer and can’t be considered “knee-jerk”

I’m looking forward to Grebs’ brand of smooth passes and insane chaos.

He actually had the best shot differential of all the D in the preseason.

I don’t see MacT being knee-jerk at all, except to get a fighter when Gagner got sticked.

138. Zipdot says:

Hammers:

Err, it’s one of the main defensive systems. It’s also known as the half ice overload, and it’s deployed by many teams. Other systems include low zone collapse and man to man and 2-3. There’s nothing experimental about the system; or more importantly, this is not a case of “smartest man in the room” thinking.

139. DBO says:

Well, I would have said “Easy tiger” to all of you if not for last night. I do agree the pads thing is an issue. He lost 1.5 inches of length, which means his five hole is more exposed when he butterfly’s (see the tying and winning goal). Equipment issues take a good while (like 20 games) to really get a handle on. We may not have that long, so we have to hope Labarbera can step up.

Goalie targets? I actualll think Theodore may be a cheap option. We could carry 3 goalies, and he has been known to go on runs before. He may at least settle it down, and it would only cost us money. I would not start making panic deals. Adding a vet who may be Dubnyk’s equivalent, and should be an upgrade on Labarbera, may be best bet. Not a cure all, just a band aid. But I think Dubnyk will settle down and play well sooner rather then later. Issue is simply to get to the 20 game mark without being out of it.

New post up.

141. rickithebear says:

Lucinius: 3) J. Schultz; this is not the first time he has made a poor decision at a key time late in a game. Needs to sit a game.

Amen!

142. raventalon40 says:

Am I the only one who thinks it’s a bit early to panic on Dubnyk? Like guys, the season has barely begun. Yeah he played like complete garbage a few times this season but he has also been a 40 save guy for us before.

If he really was the starter then give him a chance to right the ship, as that’s what any other coach or team would do for their starter, whether or not they actually believed in him.

But then again, MacTavish has a bad history with goaltenders (remember the 3-headed goalie mess with Garon etc.?)