BOLD MOVE

If we’re to believe the rumblings, Craig MacTavish is looking for goalies in alpha order and we can expect something soon. The club is now 1-5-1 with games in New York and Ottawa to come. WILL MacT make a big move? It’s a strange time of year for it.

Azorcan3

The Oilers have been rumored to be seeking a goalie, a defenseman and (earlier) a center and a physical winger. I think center has been solved, and doubt we’re about to see another Mark Fistric added to the group. Goaltending, however, might be a different story. And then there’s this:

yakupov mckenzie

mckenzie2mckenzie3 mckenzie4

There’s a lot of information there. First of all, I’m not thrilled with the idea of mortgaging the future for 10 minutes of Ryan Miller. That’s the “Roloson maneuver” and a team that is otherwise a strong Stanley contender can make that move—this Oilers team isn’t it. Neuvirth is an interesting option, but he’s no screaming hell and there’s abundant evidence Dubnyk is a superior goaltender. Elliott had one brilliant season and has been mediocre before and since–that’s not going to help.

The Dubnyk item from McKenzie is the majority opinion among thinking Oiler fans, but not the overwhelming one. I think the right call now is to put Dubnyk back in Thursday night and if he plays well play him again Saturday. There’s not a lot of room left though, they need to see some good results in October.

MCKENZIE UPDATE

• Bob McKenzie: There isn’t anything the Edmonton Oilers aren’t at least looking at or considering, but we are to believe that nothing is imminent at this point. Part of the problem the Oilers are going to run into is that most of these teams don’t want to make a deal this early in the season and give up one of their surplus goaltenders until they get a better handle on their own situation.

The underlined portion is the big item here. The Oilers probably lead the league in meetings, and their pro scouts must feel they’re on a rock and roll tour (hello Cleveland!) but making a trade just to make one is crazy.

BULLETS IN THE CHAMBER?

lstsmb

• Michael Baldwin: “There are reports Barons goaltender Richard Bachman might join Edmonton in the near future. Off to a 1-5-1 start, Edmonton owns the worst save percentage (.833) in the NHL.”

ABOUT LAST NIGHT

LSTSM1

The Oilers are 1-5-1 after seven games and the won-loss is as bad as bad can be (their one win came in a shootout) but the underlying numbers are excellent–in fact, if the shooting percentage and PDO normalize this rig could turn around in a quick hurry. The 5×5 Corsi for % shows a lot of good things, and to my eye Taylor Hall was back to being himself last night. Eberle was playing at a higher level too, and I think this team is going to have a very good run when Gagner gets back and Yakupov starts finding the range.

There’s just too much.

CORSI WED

RAJALA UPDATE (COURTESY MARTIN LUNDEN)

Credit to Martin for finding this story that sheds some light on Toni Rajala’s thought process that led to him being released by the Oilers. Quoting the article using Google Translate: “partly because I did not like in the AHL, and partly because I felt I was ready to play in the NHL. I think a couple of years in Europe can help me become an NHL player, and I still dream of becoming. In Edmonton, there were also so many talented, young players that it was hard to get anywhere.”

One never knows of course, but Rajala was a helluva AHL player and if he’d continued posting those crazy numbers I think he might have forced the issue. Of course, Linus Omark is in OKC and nothing good has happened for him, but Omark was out of this world good in the spring. The Oilers seem to have made decisions on several of their Euro players this summer (Harski, Rajala) and the Barons club lacks offensive flair because of it. I suspect it was a combination of 50 contracts, MacT’s opinion of these players and I do think Hartikainen hurt his cause with that NHL performance last season.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

WOOD

10am TSN 1260, we’ll bring a lot of Oilers talk and some other things too. Scheduled to appear:

• Alan Hull from Copper and Blue. We’ll talk about the Oiler game, the goaltending situation and Rajala’s release.
  • Jory Stuparyk, Associate Director at Donnan Hockey, High School Instructor at Vimy Hockey and Video Coach for Edmonton Oil Kings. I’m looking forward to the conversation, this is a fascinating area of the game.
  • Scott Cullen from tsn. We’ll talk Oilers, Leafs and mlb playoffs.
  • Eric Rodgers from Tend the Farm. We’ll talk about the Barons (won last night) and about the Euro’s who have come through OKC (Hartikainen, Omark, Rajala) and had unusual career paths afterward.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide on twitter. It’s going to be fun!

150 Responses to "BOLD MOVE"

1. goldenchild says:

I get the losses are piling up, everyone seems to be talking about the Oilers struggles nationally and every rumor now has hashtag Oilers.

But God damn it, nothing about last nights game felt like the last few seasons except they didnt get 2 points. The Oilers played a very good road game against one of the top teams. The created enough chances, the Pit D had all types of trouble with the Oilers top guys 5×5 and 2 of the top 4 players in the world had to work for everything they got.
    Outside of the Canucks game they have played at a much higher level and even with league average goaltending they are probably .500.

But they havent and they’re not and Bill Parcells said what he said about your record and all that I get it and if there is a real upgrade in net, a truly meaningful one Im all for it. Yesterday Stauffer mentioned Anderson in Ott a couple of times sure that makes sense, some of these other names? Id just as soon give Dubnyky the next couple of games and see if he can get something going. This losing just doesnt feel sustainable and if they can get anything on the PP get an extra save on the PK this team could easily rattle off 5 or 6 wins in a row.

I like the team, I like the coach.

2. theres oil in virginia says:

goldenchild: I like the team, I like the coach.

Agreed.

Goaltending was better last night, but still not stellar, by any means. Perhaps Dubnyk can look at least that good in his next game and build from there.

3. HugThePost says:

It probably was too much to expect that the team hit the ground running with a new coach, new system, and large turnover of personnel.

The question MacT has to answer when is: how long to give them to right the ship?

Also, Dubby’s job hasn’t changed from last year, but something is really not right with him. I hope that young man gets things together soon, and not just the goaltending.

Unless something else spectacular was tied to Miller, I think trading some of our future for him would be an egregious over-reaction.

Lowetide: when is it time to give J. Schultz a night off from the chaos?

4. Zack says:

Those goalie names scare me. Why aren’t the Oilers looking at Niklas Svedberg or a guy like Fredrik Anderson? Both Boston and Anahiem have depth in goaltending, where the price wouldn’t be so steep.

I think we’re seeing this team play well enough to win, and it should follow that at some point they start winning those game. Thursday and Saturday wins? 3-5-1. That’s a lot better than 1-7-1.

6. mumbai max says:

Yup. Give D the next two starts. If he is average or better then hold your nose and stay the course. If he sucks then it is time for reaction/panic/overpay. That being said I would only over react and over pay for a true #1. That is not going to be easy. Anderson would work. Dubnyk/Labamba, Marincin and a 2nd? I know we do not have a second, just humour me here. Is Rinne available for Dubnyk and Eberle? That would be bold. Anyway, too many details. Two starts fir Dubnyk and call me in the morning.

7. wheatnoil says:

Certainly for a player coming from the Europe, wanting to play in the NHL, the AHL can be a let-down, given the options available to play at home. The OKC Barons organization seems reasonable enough from a distance, but I wonder if there’s anything the Oilers can do to make it a more enticing place. The answer may be ‘no’. As I said, it’s the AHL, not the NHL. However, if the crowds were bigger, if there was a larger community push for hockey… would that help? If the Oilers moved their AHL team to Saskatoon where there might be more than 3000 people coming out to games, would that help? Or would moving to a colder climate and smaller Canadian city just make things worse?

Maybe there’s nothing the Oilers could have done, but there’s now a few developing offensive prospects that the Oilers have lost to Europe (though one came back). Is that entirely due to the #1s on the NHL roster?

8. Brackenburied says:

Didn’t Belov look a lot more comfortable last night? I think he is playing quite well now. Petry was flying, Smid was smidding, Ference was good. J.Schultz needs to stop being a teenager but clearly he’s going to be/is good. Sholdtz, Grebs, and Larsen are a decent 6th man rotataion and all tradeable. I think our D is in great shape.

9. Botts182 says:

I was very impressed with the Oilers effort last night. Everyone seemed to be buying in. As much as I would love to see them win the last 3 on the road, I think they go 1-1-1 in the last 3 and come home 2-6-2… Lots of work to do when they get home.

10. goldenchild says:

Question to group about the PP, seems like Eakins wants to emphasize shots from the point, Yak and Perron move around some but predominantly they are the 2nd point men. I seem to remember when the PP was its best it had Nuge on the half boards looking for Eberle on the cross for one times or working low to Hall. Eberle doesnt seem to be getting the same looks on the PP this year, am I seeing that right?

11. jdubbs says:

i think its way too early to sell the farm for goal tending. the organization defiantly needs some goal tending depth but to give away assets now would be foolish.

have to remember the Oiler’s best player is still only 21 until next month. the rebuild is still building not built. toe drags are still pretty cool at that age he’ll get over it. its just too bad they are paying him like an adult.

the D looks over-matched back there and last night was an example why Smid does not wear an “A” just terrible. we need some Cory Potter-play back so Smid can have a rest and reset. or an efficient calming veteran dman for that third pairing. too bad MacT has painted his contract situation into a corner.

12. slopitch says:

Last night MAF was the difference. I get that he’s been very average since forever but he made 4-5 very difficult saves. Goaltending has to improve. It can come from within but if you think your goalie is average and he’s not playing at that level then you have to look outside. I don’t like the idea of Miller simply because of his age/salary/ufa status. But he has been great for Buffalo this year. A .939 save percentage is roughly 15 less goals in 7 games! 15!!

The Oilers are 2nd in the conference in GF. Last in the conference in GA by over 10 goals. I get that our D needs to be better and luck wise, we’re guaranteed to do better. The Oilers schedule has been tough, (Mon-Tor-Was-Pitts is a tough stretch) and NYI is under-rated but at some point the wins will come.

I’m full of excuses but if I’m MacT I look at this team and I get excited what it would do with goaltending. I’d also love to see a top pairing D but those opportunities aren’t readily available. I wonder what calibre defender that Gagner would fetch given that Arcobella has been fine.

13. TheOtherJohn says:

Been a fascinating week to 10 days for Oiler fans. We have played in some winnable games, and lost. Our possession numbers are better particularly against middle of the pack opponents & Toronto and we have flashes of strong play by a variety of players. Do not believe Dubnyk can be as bad as he has been recently but would not go so far to call him a superior goalie. He is, when on, a middle of the pack starter, realizing some teams have 2 good goalies.

Two problems I see: our opponents have not been particularly strong and if we have a shitty enough record in October it will not matter what our Corsi numbers are because we could be out of a realistic playoff hunt absent a 12-3-2 run or some such. And our schedule soon skews to playing the big boys out west.

Spent nearly as much time watching STL SJS game last night as Oilers, very very good teams! Also quite big. SJS is firing on all cylinders and to have Joe Pavelski as your 3C incredible.

So here’s hoping the improved possession numbers convert into a couple of wins out of NYI/Ott/Mont or we will be looking up out of a fairly deep hole

14. jp says:

goldenchild:

if there is a real upgrade in net, a truly meaningful one Im all for it.

This exactly. I really don’t want to see significant assets go out the door for a lateral move in net (no pun intended).

That said, there were questions about goaltending in the spring/summer, and Dubnyk is UFA at the end of the year. If he’s not your guy (and it didn’t look like he was even before the terrible start), then you need to find that goalie of the future sooner rather than later.

15. Zipdot says:

Hopefully the Oilers will be like the Marines.

Tear us down, break our spirit, reduce us to quivering boobs.

Then, hopefully the day will come when we’re built back up as an indefatigable team; a united brotherhood of Oilers fans.

But it will be important not to skip that second step. Because otherwise, we’ll just be abandoned as quivering boobs, as we have been for the last 465 games…

16. russ99 says:

HugThePost,

Justin Schultz had a good solid game yesterday (not on the ice for any of the GA) and he was second in icetime for defensemen.

My only gripe about him was not taking shots from the point. Why does he need a day off?

I thought pairing him with Belov was a disaster waiting to happen, but they’ve played well together. Maybe Justin needed that safety net of an older steadier defensemen gone in order to be more proactive on D…

IMO, if they come out and play the same way against the Isles, they’ll win.

17. Mr DeBakey says:

Mckenzie sure has lots of insider poop about the Oilers this year.
    Think he’s got a source?
    A former TSNer perhaps?

18. TheOtherJohn says:

The Oiler schedule has not been tough. Quite to the contrary. A week of LAK, Ana, SJS & Vancouver and we could be 0-4 and NOBODY will be talking about our possession numbers

19. Mr DeBakey says:

I sure miss Krueger.

20. bookje says:

Maybe Dubnyk needs a conditioning stint?

21. bookje says:

Mr DeBakey:
    Mckenzie sure has lots of insider poop about the Oilers this year.
    Think he’s got a source?
    A former TSNer perhaps?

He has the inside scoop on everybody in the NHL!

22. Andropod says:

I’m worried the panic may cause MacT to do something stupid. Sure enough, perform due diligence on available goalies, but let’s not trade the farm. Just see who is available for what price. By all means trade some of our defensive surplus but for goodness sake please lets stop this silly talk about trading any one of our stars.

This is all about coaching folks. Why no talk about finding another goalie coach? Dubs should at least be a good, average, starting goalie. The baby and the new equipment aren’t enough to screw a person up like this. It’s pressure applied in the incorrect way.

I’m not saying Dubs will take us to the promised land except as a backup. But we have Baba Anne and we have Bachman in the A, surely we can get average goaltending between the tandem while Dubs get his shirt together?

23. Racki says:

24. Jesse says:

I’m not crazy about the idea of bringing in another goalie — I think that Dubnyk can turn things around in the near future. That said, it would be intetersting to see the Oilers pursue a goalie like John Gibson out of Anahiem. They need a goalie of the future, and adding a Gibson (even at the expense of someone like Klefbom) would shore up their prospect depth in G from a place of great strength in the organization.

25. BrazilianOil says:

Miller for our 1st+ 40+15

26. Zipdot says:

The trouble with Doobie is that, now, even if he gets up to .923 on the year, we have seen him really bad, and we know that at some level, we can only trust him so far. At any moment, he could throw away a string of games. So he’s never going to be a playoff goalie.

As good as his prior season numbers are, his prior seasons W-L categories are horrid. I think his time in Edmonton should come to a close. Don’t want him as a backup anymore.

We were spoiled with Khabibulin, man…

27. Zipdot says:

Jesse: I may have just spoken blasphemy on this blog by bringing up Klefbom as a trading piece….

28. spoiler says:

BrazilianOil: Miller for our 1st+ 40+15Sabres gain a first and a sset to exchange at deadline for a 2on or 3rd. Oilers have the cap space.

Too much. It’s only for a few months of Miller. And sending Doob the other way is a tough sell for a struggling Sabres squad. MIller has been one of their few bright spots. He also probably has more trade value at the deadline with more teams involved.

29. FPB94 says:

And guess who’s member of the ”I allowed 16 goals + in 4 games stretch in the last year or 2?”

Pekka Rinne
    Carey Price
    Ryan Miller (It will happen again)
    Martin Brodeur (I guess HHOF goalies are unreliable too!)
    Sergei Bobrovsky (Vezina’s not a reliable trophy)

Etc. Every goalie, even the most elite have bad stretches.

Of course DUbnyk’s W-L Is horrid. So was Luongo’s on the young Florida team, or any goalie whO’s been exclusively with shitty ass teams.

30. Jesse says:

Zipdot: Not to worry; after his really bad pre-season, I think we’re all ready to trade him. He’s a borderline bust right now.

Oh no, I see Klefbom still as a very valuable asset. I think he’s going to be a very good defenseman.

31. mumbai max says:

BrazilianOil:
    Miller for our 1st+ 40+15

Sabres gain a first and a sset to exchange at deadline fora 2on or 3rd. Oilers have the cap space.

A top 10 pick + for an expensive 5 month rental. No way.

32. Racki says:

Ouch. “@JasonGregor: He is scouting for Russia. RT @AJonSports Kravchuk on Yakupov.”If he’s not going to change his game, he has no future. He has no team game.”"

33. Andropod says:

Maybe we should look at the coaching. By that I mean Goalie coaching…..

If the Goalie coach has not bought into Eakins’ system this is exactly the type of play you can expect – a deflated goalie.

34. spoiler says:

Racki: How nice would it be to have a goalie that steals wins rather than playing teams whose goaltender makes our coach pull out the standard “it was a great game played but luck wasn’t on our side speech”? I’d keep shopping if I were MacT. I don’t think Dubnyk is anywhere as bad as he has played so far, but I’d say there was room for improvement even with the good Dubnyk in net. They have to be careful not to overpay though. Especially for pending ufas

He had that really bad stretch in his first 10-11 NHL games. And then was able to turn it around. Nothing as stinky bad as this stretch though. These are the only two times he’s been really inconsistent for more than a couple of games. I’d like to think it is the newborn, the new pads, the deeper net and that he will battle through this, but that’s because I’m a cheap fuck, i don’t like to spend assets and there isn’t much out there anyways.

I would be asking Buff it is okay to speak to Miller’s camp though. If he’d be willing to sign an extension for less than he is making now, I’d be willing to spend a little more on a trade.

35. BrazilianOil says:

mumbai max,

Is a gamble: We expect will be not a top 10 pick( but now is it ). The rebuild trough the draft must be over. It’s time to win something.

Agree, we need an agrement with Miller for more years before.

36. Hammers says:

Jesse:

37. BrazilianOil says:

Just for fun: What’s the price for Miller + Ott ?

38. spoiler says:

Racki: Ouch. “@JasonGregor: He is scouting for Russia. RT @AJonSports Kravchuk on Yakupov.”If he’s not going to change his game, he has no future. He has no team game.””

I agree with this. I agreed with the HS’s. And he was defiant about it with his play in the 1st last night. Hopefully he is hearing this and respects the source.

39. FPB94 says:

BrazilianOil,

Devan Dubnyk’s last 3 years SP : ,917
    Ryan Miller’s last 3 years SP : ,916

40. spoiler says:

Hammers: No you have a right to your opinion like all of us . I may prefer loosing Klefbom than Maranchin anyway. re last night we had 1 exceptional period , the 2nd . 3 shots in the 3rd . Being realistic I would say Pit had us from the opening face off .As for the NYI there no push overs so I don’t expect a win there . As for a goalie trade it probably won’t happen . If they try anything it should be Bryzgalov as that’s just money and of all the players mentioned when he was good he was one of the best . We still need a better “D” and that’s what I would go after .

Gibson would be nice, but we need an AHL track record before we can spend a serious asset on him. Also Anaheim don’t like us too much right now.

41. mumbai max says:

Zipdot:
    The trouble with Doobie is that, now, even if he gets up to .923 on the year, we have seen him really bad, and we know that at some level, we can only trust him so far.At any moment, he could throw away a string of games.So he’s never going to be a playoff goalie.

As good as his prior season numbers are, his prior seasons W-L categories are horrid.I think his time in Edmonton should come to a close.Don’t want him as a backup anymore.

We were spoiled with Khabibulin, man…

Jesse

Jesse:

I think it is too early to know what we have with Klefbom. Just hype, or?

42. Colonel Obvious says:

I agree with most in this tread with the following qualifications.

1) The goaltending has been horrific. I used to discount the importance of goaltending because the range in quality was something on the order of 1% of shots. This season has disabused me of that notion.

2) That said trading a first round pick while you are currently last in the league for Ryan Miller is a bad idea. The Oilers need a goalie but they are in too deep to pay that kind of price.

3) Yakupov is a disaster on the ice right now. Last night was one of the worst games I’ve seen anyone play. He didn’t move his feet at all without the puck and hence was never available to his teammates. When he did get the puck he was a puck hog. He has no idea what he is doing.

4) Hopkins was invisible.

5) Best game for Hall and Eberle by far. Who says they don’t go to the tough areas.

6) If you don’t like Hemsky you don’t like hockey. Or life.

7) Keep playing Arcobello with Hall and Eberle. The line works and frees up Hopkins to support another line. If Hopkins is as good as he’s supposed to be he doesn’t need Hall and Eberle.

8) Belov keeps getting better.

9) Jesus F. Christ this teams needs goaltending.

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

One of the really concerning things last night was Olli Määttä. The Pens did him a real disservice not giving him the umlauts he deserves.

Very disappointing.

———
    PS. is anyone else under the impression Shero is rushing the kid and maybe for cap reasons? 19 is way too early for a late 1st round D, especially when he can go play in Euro (he can can’t he, or does he have to go back to london?)

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: doubt we’re about to see another Mark Fistric added to the group

Matty was saying they are looking for a 3rd pairing tough guy… ie. fistric/Peckham… not sure why. The Engelland rumors probably fit the bill. strange move though, we don’t need more bottom pairing D.

———-
    I’m glad MacT is kicking tires on Gs. But I’m not inspired by the options on the table, esp. the pending UFAs.

Without SMAC and Gazdic on the 50man a couple of waiver or fa pickups might make sense… but not now.

———-
    Good for Rajala. and good for MacT to let him good and make something of himself. The NHL is so fucked up from an employment perspective. Holding Omark in limbo for those years was dickish.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Omark has turned a corner and refound his NA game?

45. Rondo says:

About last night

Pittsburgh did not play well, they gave Edmonton a lot of ice. They did all they needed to get 2 points.

46. TheGreatMutato says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

I cöüldn’t ägree möre.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: Didn’t Belov look a lot more comfortable last night? I think he is playing quite well now.

And, remember the rumor right before Belov signed with the Oil was that he had already signed with the Pens.

The Pens broadcast talked about him a lot and he did look really good.

48. FPB94 says:

Kari Lehtonen was traded for a 4th round pick to Dallas. He’s been playing very well in big D ever since.

Bobrovsky was traded for a 2nd and two 4ths.

Craig Anderso was moved for Brian Elliott.

Moving big assets for a goalie is just plain dumb and ignoring of all the past trades, where teams who have moved big assets for goalies generally have been burned or had had the same return as the others. (Varlamov)

49. edwards_daddy says:

I would trade Yakupov and next years first for Natalie Wood

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Audio of Kravchuck ripping Yakupov:

Thanks. was that on Gregor’s show?

51. DeadmanWaking says:

TheOtherJohn: A week of LAK, Ana, SJS & Vancouver and we could be 0-4 and NOBODY will be talking about our possession numbers

It’s not that simple. Last season the team had many of its better games against strong opposition. That’s a sign of talent without identity.

I’ve said this before. If it’s a foregone conclusion we lose to the stronger teams, what’s the point of making the playoffs, anyway? I suspect we’re closer to beating these teams than it presently appears. But don’t quote me on that until after the dust settles on the Yak/Eakins feud and our save percentage is consistently better than Yak’s jersey number.

52. denny33 says:

slopitch,

We are 9th in 5-5 scoring. However, we have played 7 games. Lots of teams below us have played less games. ( St. Louis, Boston, Rangers, Dallas, etc, etc, only 5 games played )

Last night, Hemsky’s goal came just as the PP expired. Only 1 – true even strength goal.

Goaltending is the biggest issue – no question.

However, even strength scoring continues to be challenging for this team. At least it has been for the first few weeks.

53. Bruce McCurdy says:

Colonel Obvious: This season has disabused me of that notion.

You do realize that Dubnyk’s “season” consists of 3½ games to this point?

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT, the house has to pass whatever the Senate does. It’s not over.

55. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Thanks. was that on Gregor’s show?

It appears to have been on CHUM in Toronto based on the URL.

56. Racki says:

I think Kravchuk probably saw Yak really bad but I don’t disagree with him just based on Yak’s poor response to being benched… The stuff about not changing his game and not liking forechecking and skating hard and such.. But he can get back in the good books easily

57. edwards_daddy says:

Bruce McCurdy,

58. denny33 says:

TheOtherJohn,

Don’t worry – we will have lots of ‘moral’ victories by then….

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce: It appears to have been on CHUM in Toronto based on the URL.

ok. thanks.

I wonder if he’s ever scouted Yak or been associated with him at some point? anyone know?

At any rate, it’s a hardly surprising sound bite. Young players getting guff is as old as old.

60. TheOtherJohn says:

DeadmanWaking: It’s not that simple.Last season the team had many of its better games against strong opposition. That’s a sign of talent without identity.

I’ve said this before.If it’s a foregone conclusion we lose to the stronger teams, what’s the point of making the playoffs, anyway?I suspect we’re closer to beating these teams than it presently appears.But don’t quote me on that until after the dust settles on the Yak/Eakins feud and our save percentage is consistently better than Yak’s jersey number.

I think we are an awful lot further away from the elite teams in the West than most here think. I don’t think it is as bad as the 44-23 shit kicking Vancouver gave us but there will be a gap. The 2 familiar refrains about the Oiler season so far are: our goalitending has been terrible (agreed!!); and our time of possession is much MUCH much better. As to the latter we have played 2 strong teams: TO and Pittsburgh and TO is not a strong puck possession team, a middling team in Vcr and 3 teams under .500. The assumption seems to be that quality of competition is irrelevant. We are doing a solid job on puck possession against Winnipeg, Washington and NJD and that will continue when we play stronger teams. It also ignores the horrific numbers that we posted against Vcr.

The above assumption may be right. That is, we are a sufficiently strong puck possession team that we can play with the big boys. I just don’t think so. I also do not think we are going to get good WC teams playing wide open pond hockey with us. I.e. last shot wins. Which Chicago does against us frequently. We will get the same tight checking grind it out games they play against the other elite teams including playing their starting goalie against us.

Success is a journey. Every great team has to learn how to win…. the 76-79 Canafians, the Islanders and the Oilers. You make the playoffs so that you can learn what it takes to take the next step.

61. denny33 says:

Jesse,

*******

But I like your idea of getting someone like this instead of Miller…

62. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

It was a rough week for my expectations for the Oilers this year. I had high hopes they would battle into a playoff spot and get the opportunity to taste that part of the development process in preparation for the next level growth into next season and beyond. I have since tempered my view (that’s been tough to swallow) and have accepted a playoff berth is still possible but not likely. So….it’s another season of player development and calibrating the talent mix for our eventual run.

As I said before, Dubnyk is done as any solution for a number #1. He does not have MacT’s belief in him and it is simply a matter of time before a deal is done to plug the hole. That may take into next summer as I don’t believe MacT is hasty. He will want to extract true value for value. I also expect one at least, but possibly two of our young forwards to be exchanged. If I’m betting, I agree its the ones you note LT, Eberle and Yakupov. I’m okay with any player being on the table depending on a) who’s coming back and b) who’s handling the trade. At least on pt (b), I believe in MacT. He is a very competent guy to handle this. The Perron trade was criminal and a great example. Our talent mix is not right (acknowledged by many on these blogs) and we are going to have to be open minded on what may leave in exchange for what comes in but that time is upon us. We have stockpiled assets, its time for real contender building now and I dearly hope that can be accomplished with us still slipping into a playoff berth this year for our young guy to get a little seasoning. I’m not ok if that doesn’t happen, but I have reached acceptance it may not for this season at least.

63. russ99 says:

Rondo,

I don’t see it that way. More like the Oilers made their own ice for a change rather than dump and cycle.

64. hoser313 says:

None of the goaltending options out there are very good. I hope we don’t see a MacT overreaction (again). I also question the wisdom of acquiring another goaltender off to a bad start to replace the current goaltender who is off to a bad start.

The only guy I would look at is Reimer in Toronto. I’ve always thought he’s been better than the Leafs have treated him. Despite taking the Leafs into the playoffs, he’s clearly been given a bum deal by the Leafs as he’s an upcoming RFA but they’ve already signed Bernier to an extension. He also plays behind a shooting gallery defense so moving to EDM wouldn’t be a shock for him. Maybe he could be had for some combination of a tender plus some Carlyle-type assets.

65. russ99 says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic,

This has been my gripe all summer. MacT signed Gordon and closed up shop on getting us the rest of a playoff-quality shutdown line.

We’ve now got a top six/nine with a scattering of grindy players (Arcobello, Smyth, Gordon) instead of getting a good shutdown line to hold the line vs. the toughs while opening up ice for the top 6 skill players vs. lesser competition.

This is why we’re seeing some of the icetime anomalies like the 4th line vs. Ovechkin and the top line double-shifting vs. the Crosby line. Eakins doesn’t have the horses.

IMO, the only way to remedy this is when Gagner comes back, try and meld Perron – Gordon – Joensuu into a quasi-shutdown line until we can get better players to fill those wing roles.

66. commonfan14 says:

denny33: Would have been nice to draft him instead…..the irony of trading a #1 pick ( Klefbom ) for someone you could have had in the 2nd round in 2011. ( See the fleet footed David Musil pick )

Considering the players left of the board and the point in the rebuild that the pick was made, Musil may be shaping up to be one of the most damaging draft picks in Oilers history.

Even the Bonsignore pick came in a horrible draft and we got Smytty 2 picks later anyway.

Then again, both Pittsburgh and Chicago completely whiffed on their second round picks during their years in the lottery too, so maybe the hockey gods don’t allow for it.

67. FPB94 says:

hoser313,

68. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

russ99,

I’m not sure I would agree that MacT closed up shop. I think he is grinding his teeth on every call he makes in terms of what other GM’s want in a swap. It has to be frustrating to work the phones time after time and not have a deal forming that you can live with. I think MacT is not afraid to take risk in a trade (ala Tambellini). He will be bold – but not stupid. That means time is involved. You gotta sweat these out and wait to pull the trigger on the right deal. He’ll get some wrong, he’ll get lots right. He, like us all, wants it tomorrow, but you can’t be reckless on the assets you trade off.

Like you say, it will be a bit of patchwork for now on line combos and systems this year because you don’t have all the pieces you want and all personnel are on a steep learning curve. It has gotten much better and I’m optimistic – we’ll get our wins and some awesome moments this year.

While MacT is trying to get needed assets, I think Eakins is gonna horse whip the players into a system and a standard of accountability we haven’t had for a long while.

69. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis: has to pass whatever the Senate does. It’s n

Keep in mind though that the majority of the house was already supportive of keeping the gov’t going and upping the debt limit, but the speaker simply will not allow a vote to be called on that because he is afraid of the Tea Party. If push comes to shove, I suspect Boehner will call the vote (which will pass) and face the wrath of the Tea Party.

70. bookje says:

edwards_daddy:
    I would trade Yakupov and next years first for Natalie Wood

The timing of that deal is really poor.

71. Bag of Pucks says:

In terms of the ‘bold move,’ there was a lot of talk on the radio this morning that Philly is back in the mix with Coburn still on the block. I think there’s a lot of factors that could combine to make this the Oilers’ most viable trade partner.

1) Snider is a notoriously impatient owner and it’s highly unlikely that Craig Berube alone is the answer to what ails this team
    2) Paul Holmgren has shown an appetite in the past for the bold move and a willingness to makeover his team drastically when expectations exceed results
    3) Philly has a lot of C depth and needs wingers. Edmonton has a lot of W depth and needs Cs. Both clubs want to upgrade their D core and goaltending.
    4) The teams are both fairly cap strapped so the dollar figures would have to be comparable.

With the above in mind, I think the following is a trade scenario worth considering that goes a long way towards addressing the needs for both clubs

TRADE SCENARIO A
    Emery – $1.65
    Coburn – $4.5
    B Schenn – $870k

Dubnyk – $3.5
    Yakupov – $925
    N Schultz – $3.5

The key to this deal is how much Snider might covet the prospect of getting a 1st overall in Yakupov? Might need to sweeten this deal by including Belov, a player the Flyers allegedly pursued in the offseason. Yak gives Philly a true impact winger to run alongside Giroux. Getting Brayden Schenn, Coburn and Emery addresses 3 areas of need for the Oil. Brayden Schenn offers solid return for Yakupov and Philly can afford to part with a C with Giroux, Lecavelier and Couterier in the fold.

TRADE SCENARIO B
    Emery – $1.65
    Coburn – $4.5
    Simmonds – $3.9k
    Couturier – $1.75

Dubnyk – $3.5
    Gagner – $4.8
    Petry – $1.75k
    Belov – $925

For what it’s worth, I really like this second scenario but Gagner’s promised No Movement Clause renders it moot. Fun to dream though. This scenario would address the Oil’s lack of functional toughness in one fell swoop.

Yak is sort of the anti-Magnus, and vice versa.

If one view’s Craig Anderson as a legitimate #1 goaltender, he might the the one most available for the prospects that the Oilers have available.

i.e. Dubnyk and two of (Klefbom, Marincin, Larsen) for Craig Anderson and a conditional #2 (if Dubnyk re-signs with Ottawa).

Ottawa has an internal cap, and need young inexpensive D for their cluster.

MacT might be desperate enough to do it, and Nurse’s training camp may tempt him to part with a chunk of his prospect depth on D.

I hate this idea. But I think it is a possibility, ever since Stauffer brought up Anderson’s name).

I think Reimer would also be available if the Oilers took Liles in the deal. Say Dubnyk and one of (Smid/NSchultz/prospectD), for Reimer and Liles.

73. Colonel Obvious says:

Bag of Pucks,

Both those deals are bad for the Oilers. Scenario A is better for the Oilers but you have to substitute Couturier for Schenn. Adding in Belov is preposterous and would make the Oilers worse no matter what.

Scenario B is bad too. Petry is better than Coburn.

And all of this is predicated on the idea that Emery is some kind of solution. The Flyers make sense in a general way but not as the solution to the goaltending problem. The solution to that problem is either the resurrection of Dubnyk of Craig Anderson.

74. Bag of Pucks says:

Colonel O,

1) You have to give to get
    2) Brayden Schenn has shown more offensive upside than Couturier. What makes you think the latter is the better fit for the Oil as 2C? I’m predicating this trade on the belief that you need to push Gagner down the depth chart (or hopefully onto the wing), not acquire a player to replace Boyd Gordon.

75. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Armchair GM: Adam Larsson straight up for Yakupov. Potential #1 shutdown D and maybe a good partner for Klefbom. NJ is a decent target for asset mining.

edwards_daddy:
    Bruce McCurdy,

They guys who are panicing over Doobie are not stats guys.

I think if a deal can be made for someone like Reimer, it should be made.

Assuming it Labarbra and an asset going the other way, not Doobie.

77. Bar_Qu says:

Personally, I hope the Oilers acquire Reimer. My hockey-obsessed child thinks Reimer is an amazing goalie, meaning that if he joins the Oilers I might actually be able to convince him to cheer for my team, instead of the Maple Leafs, the Penguins, the Bruins and the Wild (??!!??!).

I am not a bad parent. Really.

78. Zipdot says:

FPB94: Zipdot: Yeah we should get Lundqvist, not like that guy ever had a bad streak where he shit the bed! Oh wait. He just allowed 15 in 4 games to start the season.

Pekka Rinne
    Carey Price
    Ryan Miller (It will happen again)
    Martin Brodeur (I guess HHOF goalies are unreliable too!)
    Sergei Bobrovsky (Vezina’s not a reliable trophy)

Ah, exactly proving my point: if THESE elite guys have bad nights, then imagine what kind of new gutters Dubnyk, a horrible goalie, can put the team in!!

Thanks for helping me with my point. Very helpful.

79. Logan91 says:

godot10:
    Yakupov, like Paajarvi, just has to be coached.I don’t know if the whip is the right way to coach Yakupov.I think it might actually be the worst way.

Yak is sort of the anti-Magnus, and vice versa.

Ottawa has an internal cap, and need young inexpensive D for their cluster.

MacT might be desperate enough to do it,and Nurse’s training camp may tempt him to part with a chunkof his prospect depth on D.

I hate this idea.But I think it is a possibility, ever since Stauffer brought up Anderson’s name).

I think Reimer would also be available if the Oilers took Liles in the deal.Say Dubnyk and one of (Smid/NSchultz/prospectD), for Reimer and Liles.

There is zero chance that Anderson will be traded. He’s on of the best goalies in the league

80. Zipdot says:

godot10: Yakupov, like Paajarvi, just has to be coached. I don’t know if the whip is the right way to coach Yakupov. I think it might actually be the worst way.

Sooo, do you think that Yakupov should be rewarded with more ice time for not even giving the most basic defensive support in hockey? And for pouting and saying that he doesn’t like to skate? And doesn’t like to forecheck? You’d like to give this harmful play more ice time??

I agree with Eakins: take away the ice time until he picks it up. The second scratch seemed like too much, but look! He comes back and pouts more — this time on the ice. He’s cruising for a bruising.

81. Colonel Obvious says:

Bag of Pucks,

I think Couturier is better than Schenn in every way. Offense, defense, whatever criteria you might like to use. And even if Schenn has more offensive upside I don’t think that’s a valid criteria. I want the better player in absolute terms. I don’t care the way in which he is better. So if I make a trade I don’t put any thought into where the player is going to play or who he is replacing. That’s irrelevant information.

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic,

What makes you think Larsson is a potential #1 shutdown D. On a redraft Yakupov still goes #1 but Larsson’s value falls if anything.

The Yakupov trade talk seriously undervalues Yakupov. Considering his contract situation He’s one of the most valuable assets in the game. If your trade suggestion doesn’t bring back a superstar or multiple players that solve all their problems at once, your trade suggestion is a bad idea for the Oilers.

82. theres oil in virginia says:

bookje: Also, the house is currently being run by 50 or so literally crazy ideologues so don’t hold your breath.

Unfortunately, it’s closer to 435 “literally crazy ideologues”, accompanied by 100 more in the senate. It’s been that way for my entire life (and before that based on what I’ve read). I’m not holding out hope for a happy ending.

83. Logan91 says:

Zipdot: Sooo, do you think that Yakupov should be rewarded with more ice time for not even giving the most basic defensive support in hockey?And for pouting and saying that he doesn’t like to skate?And doesn’t like to forecheck?You’d like to give this harmful play more ice time??

I agree with Eakins: take away the ice time until he picks it up.The second scratch seemed like too much, but look!He comes back and pouts more — this time on the ice.He’s cruising for a bruising.

He’s just frustrated, and i’d be frustrated too if I was him. I don’t think he even got passed the puck once last night when he was on the power play. He gets scratched, bounced around lines, and is given different line mates every game. How is he supposed to build chemistry with anyone when he plays with someone different every game?

He’s a first overall pick, and this is probably the first time in his career when things have been going poorly for him. Once he scores a couple of goals we’ll see a different player.

84. Zipdot says:

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund 12m
    New rumor blog>Flyers, Caps, Habs and Bruins with Interest in Yakupov. Oilers want a ton > http://www.Hockeybuzz.com

85. Zipdot says:

Logan91,

I think there are a few signs that he potentially has a bad attitude. On a recent Season Ticket Holders Home-Delivery video, he was clearly miffed that he had to participate and he was jackin around, hanging back in the truck when he was supposed to be with fans.

Then the “I don’t like to skate” thing.

Plus, he went to the KHL during the lockout, eh? And the rumours that we’re hearing. Also, he tweeted a picture of money stacks. Lessee, what else….. Well, his dad is nuts. I dunno, something is off about Yak compared to the other new Oilers. He does have a big smile and generally knows what to say, but he also has done a lot of questionable things.

86. Bruce McCurdy says:

edwards_daddy: You know Bruce, the ‘Great Dubnyk panic’ wouldn’t have reached nearly this level of hysteria if MacT hadn’t lit the blue touch paper in the summer. There is a lot of ‘stats guys’ on here who are ready to dump a 3 year body of work based on 3 games.

Woodguy: They guys who are panicing over Doobie are not stats guys.

I think if a deal can be made for someone like Reimer, it should be made.

Assuming it Labarbra and an asset going the other way, not Doobie.

Nope, I’m not panicking, but I *am* rattled. Just as Dubnyk himself has appeared to be to this point.

I repeat, though, it’s 3½ games. I prefer 120 games of data as more representative of DD’s true talent level.

I do agree with Edward’s Daddy that MacT’s comments and actions in the summer drew attention to the goaltending, putting it even more under the microscope than usual right out of the gate. Some of the fanbase and most of the media have been pushing the narrative hard right off the hop.

I mean, when was the last time a guy gave in a bad goal that you had three suits & a few props including a full size goal net in a HNiC studio, lovingly giving a 5-minute diatribe as to how the goalie is a bum, without really emphasizing how he was left to his own devices to defend against two dangerous sticks, one on either side of him. He guessed wrong, & buddy who fooled him also made a great shot, is it really a federal case?

I can’t put myself inside of DD’s head, but it can’t be a wonderful place right now, what with the doubts of the GM and a substantial portion of the fanbase, the narrative of the MSM and “experts” like Glenn Healy, and several random factors like new baby, new equipment, new backup, new coach, new system. That’s a lot of adjustments and he clearly hasn’t succeeded in making them all yet.

On top of all that I would add the Oilers have seen more than their share of shithouse luck especially with deflected shots changing direction, speed, and even spin, and inevitably finding tiny holes. The sort of thing that is certain to level out over time, but sure hasn’t to this point. Last night one goal was scored when a pass deflected directly to the goal scorer and a second when a whiffed shot also went directly to the goal scorer. Turned out to be a “perfect pass”, not to mention a better change-up than any I’ve seen in the pitching-dominated baseball playoffs to date. Honestly, I’d file a lot of these GA vs. both goalies under “shit happens”. Yes goaltending needs to get better, and it also needs to get luckier. I am confident both of those things will occur in a larger sample.

87. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 16m
    Magnus Paajarvi will see first action Thursday in Chicago…Halak will start, Elliott to start Friday in Winnipeg #stlblues

88. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Colonel Obvious,

Well I don’t know if Larsson will be a #1. He is 100 games into his NHL tenure which means some of the development pain is now invested. He is being developed in a defensively responsible system in NJ and logging 18 mins/game average. He was never acknowledged as offensive, its not what he brings. But he is very young, has demonstrated hockey intelligence and size to boot. I’m not sure however, what constitutes Yakupov getting more ‘status’ than a player like Larsson? Is he worthy of an established superstar yet? We are talking this today, but in the here and now, he has not been strong enough to hold a top 6 roster spot on our team. I don’t say this to disparage Yakupov as I think he is a great talent and has big upside and he is young. But he is not established and the jury is out he will bring the rounded out game that he makes a bonafide difference in critical games. Same is true of a player like Larsson or a slate of other top five picks in the last few years..

Its blue sky postulating on my part and nothing more. The theme of the article was bold moves. I won’t flog the Yakupov trade talk. I’m perfectly fine to give him more time to develop. But I recognize it doesn’t move the needle a lot on our playoff aspirations today as he remains a ‘project’ and our team still remains out of balance.

89. Colonel Obvious says:

Trading Yakupov starts with something like:

Couturier, Simmonds, and Coburn.

But the Oilers can’t take on all that salary which means they have to add N. Schultz. And it doesn’t address their goaltending need. Which means you need a third team in the deal, and you can see that it all is preposterously unlikely.

That said, I would trade Yakupov and N Schultz for Couturier, Coburn, and Anderson. Ottawa gets Simmonds, Philadelphia gets Yakupov and N Schultz. Trading Yakupov for less than that would be a big mistake.

90. Jesse says:

Woodguy: They guys who are panicing over Doobie are not stats guys.I think if a deal can be made for someone like Reimer, it should be made. Assuming it Labarbra and an asset going the other way, not Doobie.

Why would they trade away a goalie they just signed as a FA?

91. Colonel Obvious says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic,

Well, it is fair to say that we are far apart on Yakupov’s value. You’d trade him for Larsson. While I would trade him for Couturier, Coburn, and Anderson. That’s a chasm.

92. wheatnoil says:

Zipdot:
    Logan91,

I think there are a few signs that he potentially has a bad attitude.On a recent Season Ticket Holders Home-Delivery video, he was clearly miffed that he had to participate and he was jackin around, hanging back in the truck when he was supposed to be with fans.

Then the “I don’t like to skate” thing.

Plus, he went to the KHL during the lockout, eh?And the rumours that we’re hearing.Also, he tweeted a picture of money stacks.Lessee, what else…..Well, his dad is nuts.I dunno, something is off about Yak compared to the other new Oilers.He does have a big smile and generally knows what to say, but he also has done a lot of questionable things.

Yes, all those questionable things Nail Yakupov does. Like leaving home to play Major Junior in a foreign country to better his chances of transitioning to the NHL. Like repeatedly staying late in practice to work on his craft. Like buying a house in Edmonton and moving his family there to be with him. Like kissing the Oiler logo after scoring last season.

Yeah… terrible kid. Worst 20 year old ever.

93. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Colonel Obvious,

For sure and I respect the point of view. I try and look from the other side and not put our players on a pedestal. I harbor no reservations about Yakupov and I’m fine to to give it time to learn what we really have. But every fan and GM sees their side of a trade with a potentially more favorable perspective than a counter party or the rest of the hockey community might. .

94. Brackenburied says:

All we need a couple of more saves a game. That ain’t worth the cost of one of the youngsters. DD and Barbie can likely provide these saves once they get their heads out of their asses and just play the damn game.

95. Mr DeBakey says:

Zipdot: And for pouting and saying that he doesn’t like to skate? And doesn’t like to forecheck? You’d like to give this harmful play more ice time??

You’ve read his whole quote, not just the truncated version that had some media guys’ panties in a knot?

I have no idea what the Yak is like [and neither do you].
    I read his remarks to mean that he doesn’t play like a 4th line energy guy, but rather a skilled hockey player.
    I don’t doubt a happy medium can be found.
    If not, then as the man says, the Oilers will want a ton.

96. FPB94 says:

Zipdot,

Nope. Right there you’re just being a straw-person.

That and also intentionally putting out my post where Dubnyk has had better save % in the last 3 years then Miller despite being on putrid teams.

So by your logic Miller should bring us down even more. (And you’d be ready to give a 1st rounder for that).

But hey, let’s listen to some canned reactions and trade for Miller with the assets we’ve acquired by trading Yakupov.

I think Yakupov is more upset at being benched in favor of scrubs (Ladzic, Will fucking Acton) that don’t really outperform him then being benched.

97. G Money says:

By definition, any move made now in response to the last few games is a panicked move and would almost certainly be foolish.

Over the last number of years, this team has gone through multiple hot streaks, causing an upswell of optimism in the fan base.

Level headed observers in each case pointed to the fact that the hot streak was a result of an unsustainably high shooting percentage and save percentage (as shown by a high PDO), while the underlying shot differential (shot, Corsi, Fenwick; doesn’t matter which) was still highly negative, indicating a team that despite the wins fundamentally just wasn’t that good. The level headed observers pointed out that bad times were therefore inevitably just around the corner – and in each case they were right.

Today, we are at the polar opposite. We are on a losing streak of monumental proportions. And yet and yet. A level headed observer can point to the the unsustainably low shot/save percentage (a PDO well below even, and which before last game was worst in the league but which by last nights result visibly and statistically has now started the reversion process). The observer can point to shot differentials, indicating a team that despite the losses is fundamentally decent. Not great – but decent.

Better times are therefore coming. They are. Period.

98. Bag of Pucks says:

Excellent post Bruce.

99. oilersfan says:

FPB you are making the most sense . I wish you were in the media in Edmonton or Toronto.

I usually don’t agree with you but you are bang on with all this.

Jesse: Why would they trade away a goalie they just signed as a FA?

He’s on a one year contract.

You could look at like he’s an impending UFA/

Situation changed. He’s got a suitcase.

101. FPB94 says:

oilersfan:

I usually don’t agree with you but you are bang on with all this.

I think a great site to get objective coverage, usually by statshead is Grantland.com.

The depth of analysis is amazing, especially in football (Bill Barnwell) and Basketball (Zach Lowe)” Katie Baker sometimes does hockey pieces and they’re generally much more researched then the generalities you can find in your local newspaper.

102. Andropod says:

Sometimes the best move is no move. This isn’t the 7th year of the rebuild its the 7th year we may be out the playoffs (or is it 8? losing count). We have 3 “era’s” since then:
    1) Collapse after the playoff run
    2) Mr Dither’s rebuild that got us a competitive OKC team and a clutch of #1 picks
    3) The conclusion of the rebuild under MacT and Eakins. This is Year 1 for them. You can’t blame the past on them. MacT was the best coach Dithers ever had and finally resigned/got fired after admitting that there was nothing more he could do to get the bunch of (crap) players he had to work with. MacT turned out to be Dither’s nemesis and came back to throw him out along with half the roster and, unfortunately, a very good coach.

I like this roster. They are getting better. They may not make the playoffs but they will not be a lottery team either, they will be knocking on the door. We have a surplus of skill everywhere but goalie.
    Who of us could do 1/2 the job MacT has done? Very few if any.

Now is the time to get behind this team and urge them on. Sure, let Dub seek greener pastures next year unless he plays lights out for the rest of the season. In the meantime, give him some space, with a new baby in the house he’s probably sleep deprived and the pressure got to him. Bring in a new goalie coach and sports psychologist if the present 2 aren’t earning their wage. Tighten up on the D.

We have so many good wingers, improve the team if needs be by trading Yak City straight up for equivalent talent in a Goalie of a #1D. Not 1st pairing, a #1.

IMO.

103. denny33 says:

Colonel Obvious,

Another problem – nobody wants Nick Schultz.

Especially if they have to pay him 3. 5million.

Going to go out on a limb and say the market for DD might be cool right now….

104. wheatnoil says:

re: everyone freaking about a trade

It’s possible that I post this and 10 seconds later MacT makes a trade that makes me rage, rage against the dying of the light. However…

Fact 1: MacT is not afraid to kick the tires around looking for a trade. Evidence: Shopping Horcoff & Hemsky. The Perron trade. The potential trades for Schneider. Chatting up Holmgren for hours during the draft. Every damn tweet about the Oilers from the MSM over the summer.

Fact 2: MacT is not afraid to NOT make a trade. Evidence: Publicly shopping Hemsky and then publicly changing his mind.

I don’t know if MacT is going to make the right call here. However, I do know what I expect a competent GM to do in the situation that the Oilers are in. I would expect that before they make a shotgun panicked trade, that they were would be lighting up the board, making phone calls to every team in the league who might have something to offer and figure out what the asking price is. Look at every potential option and get a sense of where each team is at. That way, if he DOES have to make a trade, he’s got all his information and can enter serious negotiations.

MacT should be phoning around and seeing what the asking price is. If it’s a young gun, so be it. All he needs to know is what the lay of the land is. THEN he can start negotiating based on what he thinks is the best deal(s) available to him. In the meantime, Labarbs gets a few starts. Dubnyk gets another couple. There’s rumours that Bachman might get a crack at it too. While that’s happening, MacT is busy trying to expand his options so that if Dubnyk doesn’t bounce back (and I expect he will) he has his next move already in place.

He’s not going to make a deal today and he’s not afraid to not make a deal if he thinks it makes the team weaker.

(Tentatively pushes ‘post comment’… afraid of an ‘Oilers trade Yakupov for Elliott’ tweet as soon as it’s posted)

105. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Andropod,

Well said and I agree. They have lots of baubles in the tickle trunk to swap for essential pieces as they ascend in capability. It will be a combination of thoroughbreds and plow horses, ages, sizes, experience and contracts. Won’t be easy and wrought with danger and a sprinkling of luck. Being a GM ain’t easy, but MacT’s timing as a new GM feels like Lombardi’s when he took the post in LA. LA had the core and a mish mash of tradeable pieces. He managed a stanley cup but came damn close to flaring out along the way. Great example of how luck and decisiveness play a role.

106. FastOil says:

Without an immediate turn around the Oil will have to win over 55% of their games to hit around playoff territory points (94).

That represents a dramatic improvement that actually is unlikely, even with the closer to even Corsi (extra skater says 48.4% Corsi for %). PDO isn’t going to help a ton currently at 983.

It is close to the point of no return already – thanks Bettman points – and if it gets there I want to see all efforts put into the success of next season. This team can’t win without another high quality D and centre IMO.

Everything has to be about getting proper assets for unwanted UFA’s and dealing anybody not in the plans for something better if at all possible. The holes must be plugged, the time for excuses is long over. And learn the system at all costs.

Goal is such a crap shoot who knows. Maybe a deal will help there. Probably not without luck that the Oilers don’t seem to have much of.

107. Racki says:

Andropod,
    Agree that the Oil should move some of their best pieces to land a #1D (if possible) and G. Yak plus this year’s first (looks tantalizing already) and maybe a D of some sort. For the good of the team.

108. wheatnoil says:

Racki:
    Andropod,
    Agree that the Oil should move some of their best pieces to land a #1D (if possible) and G. Yak plus this year’s first (looks tantalizing already)and maybe a D of some sort. For the good of the team.

Who would you target as the number 1 D?

109. Bag of Pucks says:

Colonel Obvious:
    Well Oiled and Enthusiastic,

Well, it is fair to say that we are far apart on Yakupov’s value.You’d trade him for Larsson.While I would trade him for Couturier, Coburn, and Anderson.That’s a chasm.

I suspect somewhere in the middle is definitely the true market value. Getting Larsson back alone is a severe shortfall on the asset. But to think Yak’s worth a Top 2 C, a Top 4 D AND one of the Top 5 Gs? Well, if MacT can pull it off, he should definitely do it.

I guess you can make a case for that kind of return based on what past first overalls have fetched (Lindros comes to mind), but Lindros was regarded as a generational talent whereas the jury is still out on young Yak.

The last first overalls in the salary cap era to be dealt were Rick Nash, Ilya Kovalchuk and Erik Johnson.

Kovalchuk’s pending UFA status makes him a poor comparable.

With Nash, Howson’s stated return needs were a top 6 forward, a top prospect, and a first round draft pick. He got that and more: Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon and a 2013 first round draft pick – though you could argue he got two Top 9 forwards instead of one true Top 6,

Erik Johnson fetched Kevin Shattenkirk and Chris Stewart. Johnson, like Yak (and unlike Nash) had yet to reach his ceiling at the time of the trade.

So Yakupov to the Flyers gets you (one of either Simmonds, Schenn or Couturier – for your Top 6 forward), Samuel Morin for your prospect and the Flyer’s first rounder for instance?

If that’s the return, I’d agree Philly is a poor trading partner and you’re better served shopping with teams that have a better stocked prospect cupboard – and most importantly, ones that can part with a starting tender.

110. oilersfan says:

wheatnoil,

how about Seth Jones?

Mind you I would rather keep Yak but Jones/Nurse could be a helluva top pairing for 15 years…

111. oilinthepeg says:

James Reimer is my pick.
    But what would it take?

112. Zipdot says:

FPB94: Nope. Right there you’re just being a straw-person.

Speaking of straw arguments, I never said anything about trading for Miller. Maybe you’re confusing me with someone else?? Never talked about trading a first round pick either.

And Yak, upset or not, needs to do what the coach says. And the coach says to forecheck. Skate. If he doesn’t want to do that, he’s not fit for the NHL.

113. Racki says:

wheatnoil: Who would you target as the number 1 D?

I’d have to talk to Nashville first. Lots of D there. Obviously the Press and Oilers aren’t the most likely of trade partners though. But when we start talking #1 overall pick plus our pick this year (which currently looks good) maybe many teams gms ears perk up

114. Andropod says:

wheatnoil: Who would you target as the number 1 D?

I’m not thinking of a specific existing #1D or #1D prospect, or top Goalie/Goalie prospect, there’s enough people out there who are into which are potentially available, I saying that with his attitude and skills, maybe we can get a skill for skill trade that would give us an upgrade that would fill one of the few positions of genuine need on this fast developing team.

Skill for skill, that’s all.

115. FPB94 says:

Zipdot,

Yeah it’s a big incentive to listen to the coach when he’s the 4th in like 5 years, You know he’s sticking around.

He’s still a human being. Maybe he’s bitter because he liked to play under Krueger. We don’t know. All I see is a group of old bitter men eager to spit on a 20 years old.

If you think DD’s record is his fault considering the Oiler teams that played in front of him then maybe you should see an optometrist. You might be legally blind. (oh and suggesting it was nice having Khabby around)

116. Jordan says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Right behind you Bruce.

I’ve been avoiding posting anything for a while, simply because this isn’t about the team playing poorly right now.

It’s about a pair of goalies getting burnt by bad luck and a GM who’s inside the head of one of them.

The Oilers’ goalie has been almost replaced, called out to be better, and has effectively been neutered by the media. No one has any confidence in him right now, especially because he’s let in some tough goals on top of the many goals he couldn’t stop because of bad luck and bad play by the Oilers.

The best way to destroy a team is to have a crappy goalie. No one has even tried to manage this story line. Dubnyk’s getting hung out to dry here. By everyone. Including his team mates & GM.

I look forwards to the worm turning soon. I seem to recall ReKhab having an inverse start to this several years ago, and hating the adjustment to the mean afterwards. Devan’s been pretty bad here. I expect his adjustment to be equally spectacular – just give it time.

The sky is only falling if you’re so busy reacting to the losses that you’re not putting this in perspective.

117. wheatnoil says:

oilersfan,

Racki,

The problem with the Preds is the Radulov situation. I think they may hesitate going ‘all in’ with Yakupov. Yakupov would certainly sell seats though, which would help Nashville.

Andropod,

In theory I agree with you. The problem is that in practice it’s hard to pull off. There’s very few true #1 Ds and very few true #1 goalies. That’s why I was asking if you or anyone else had someone in particular in mind.

To be clear, I don’t want to trade Yakupov but I’m also not trying to shoot down any and every trade suggestion. It’s just that, when you start talking about trading players like Yakupov, I have a hard time coming up with a list of actual players that might a) be available for Yakupov and b) are actually worth Yakupov.

Either way, I don’t think that’s the move the Oilers need to make here. Eakins has laid down the gauntlet with Yakupov. This happens A LOT with young offensively skilled players. Eakins publicly called out Kadri for his body fat content (though later apologized to him for it) and Kadri credits Eakins for making him an NHL player. Eakins is taking a risk here. I suspect he knows Yakupov has crazy talent, but if he can get him to even partially buy in, then you make an already great Yakupov into someone who is truly elite. It may backfire on him, but this is a risk with a payoff that has the potential to be phenomenal!

118. Racki says:

wheatnoil,

You could be right, although every indication has been Yak lives/eats/sleeps NHL and has no interest in leaving (expect for the recent baseless, stupid rumor)

FYI, I don’t suggest moving Yak because he’s a locker room issue or puck hog or bad attitude or what have you. I think he will be great, but you have to give to get is all.

119. LMHF#1 says:

If the math types are always going to go with “wait” as the mantra, someone’s going to have to crunch those numbers and determine how long to wait, how much of a difference another course would make, and many other things.

Or is there no agreement that the point is to get ahead of the curves, rather than simply to follow them?

120. Mr DeBakey says:

Zipdot: I’m tired of Dubnyk and I don’t care about his decent SV% from the last couple of years. Big whoop. Look at his W-L column. He’s crap.

You’re kidding right? You didn’t know the Oilers wanted to lose?

Chris Osgood for the Hall of Fame!

121. wheatnoil says:

Racki:

122. Ryan says:

Hit and run…

1. Richard Bachman saw this coming according to Todd Nelson, EJ. If Bachman isn’t good enough to play in the NHL, maybe he’d make a good goalie scout. :p

2. Relax everyone. Hall / Nuge / X is a very good line, but the way this team’s built they’re not good enough yet anyway. I mean they’re not an unholy terror on the ice like Crosby-x-y; Sedin-Sedin-x; Thornton-Marleau-Heatley back in the day, etc…

With a fourth line that’s sucking oxygen, a meh d corps, even a last season Doobie, we’d need the top line to be an elite level (top 5 in the league) to make the playoffs this season).

3. Is it just me or is Nick Schultz looking like the weakest link on d?

4. The math guys loved the Doobies and Barbies prior to this season, but scout’s and the seen-em-good types never liked either. Is it the new goalie equipment or is the book out on these big immobile goalers?

123. Racki says:

wheatnoil: Agree completely. If I was the Preds, I wouldn’t hesitate to take on Yakupov depending on the price. I’m just not sure the Preds see it the same way with the Radulov string relatively recent and the price they’d have to give up to get him.

And ya, I can’t disagree with that reasoning on your part. Could be right. I would consider a #1d man and #1g better help here than having all 4 star forwards here plus the other assets required to land those two pieces, but the fan in me couldn’t part with any of the others (and I do like Yak, FYI..)

124. Jujhar says:

oilinthepeg: Maybe this has been discussed, but positive numbers returning or not for Dubnyk, I can’t help but just HATE watching him play. He seems sluggish and as if he isn’t trying. Maybe this is more evident this year than in the past, but I can’t help but think that MacT sees the same thing, and I just can’t see him ever sticking with this team. It’s a matter of compete level… and the hippie just doesn’t have it.

Oilers are DOOMED if the management thinks like you do.

125. Zelepukin says:

wow at the amount of Yak hate and ridiculously stupid comments going on here. Talk about a knee-jerk scapegoat for a team’s shitty start to the season where more than a 20 year old first overall pic is solely to blame.

Colonel Obvious:

The Yakupov trade talk seriously undervalues Yakupov.Considering his contract situation He’s one of the most valuable assets in the game.If your trade suggestion doesn’t bring back a superstar or multiple players that solve all their problems at once, your trade suggestion is a bad idea for the Oilers.

I agree with you here completely, but not before you went full retard here:

Were we watching the same game? One of the worst games you’ve ever seen anyone play? I don’t even know how to evaluate that comment properly. This is like saying you’ve never watched any Oilers games in the past 7 years. This is like saying Horcoff is a bona-fied 1C on any team.

Yaks consistently moved the puck out of his own zone, cycled well in the offensive, the few times they got a chance to and in the 3rd broke up a beauty 3-on-1 pass that most d-man wouldnt even be that reactive on, let alone a forward playing D.

126. Racki says:

wheatnoil,

Gregor suggesting the Rangers as a target for D. Not sure that would fit the bill though since mcdonagh won’t be moved

127. FPB94 says:

Jujhar,

I like this prospect because of how the bat sounds when he strikes the ball 1 times out of 4.

128. Ryan says:

oilinthepeg,

How much the new pads will favour more athletic goalies, I guess we’ll see.

129. Andropod says:

Ryan: oilinthepeg, The thing about Dubnyk is that he’s not an athletic goalie. For old timers like myself, we have memories of watching Fuhr, Kujo, and Roloson making acrobatic saves and dripping sweat when taking their masks off after a whistle. How much the new pads will favour more athletic goalies, I guess we’ll see.

How many of the non-athletic big goalies are still doing well this year?

130. FPB94 says:

Andropod,

Carey is not particularly athletic and he’s doing fine. Same with Gustavsson, Bishop, Lehner.

BUt then it’s still dumb to try and asses things from 6-7 games.

131. Lloyd B. says:

I think Woodguy called us a quilting circle a couple of days ago. After reading all this I have to agree. The past year it has all been love the guy, love his cellies, love him kissing the crest, may be the best of the bunch, great to use as a pipeline to acquire more Russians. Now a few games in he is being railed on. I thought it was suggested here that the MSM would run him out of Town. Don’t look in a mirror.

132. denny33 says:

Ryan,

Correct on N. Schultz….which explains the 20 or so trade proposals in here that have the Oilers offloading him to some unsuspecting team.

Because when Mac T calls looking for a trade – the first name out of opposing GM’s lips is …
    N.i.c.k. S.c.h.u.l.t.z…….

133. Andropod says:

134. FPB94 says:

This thread needs some Steve Smith. Or is it Camel Piss now?

(What happened to pisscutter btw?)

135. Zipdot says:

Andropod: Wouldn’t it be funny if this whole thing is because Dev can’t get any sleep at night due to the new baby?

Dubnyk ought to be ashamed of himself for having a baby at this time. It’s costing him his career.

136. Ribs says:

My BOLD dream scenario still involves getting Hedman and Panik from Tampa Bay. It still has nothing to do with a goalie. MacT’s a smart guy, he knows trading away assets for a goalie is wasteful.

137. FPB94 says:

Ribs,

I doN’t know why Tampa would let Hedman go.

138. Ribs says:

FPB94,

Me either…A guy can dream though, right?

139. Bag of Pucks says:

denny33:
    Ryan,

N.i.c.k. S.c.h.u.l.t.z…….

A savvy GM can fob off his unwanted players/salaries (e.g. N Schultz) provided he’s also offering a player the other team covets (e.g. Yakupov).

Half the trades in the NHL are GMs swapping their current under-performers in hopes a change of scenery fixes the issues.

140. Andropod says:

Zipdot: Dubnyk ought to be ashamed of himself for having a baby at this time.It’s costing him his career.

I’m just hoping that’s not the case, but if I’m the Sports Psychologist I’m asking questions. Or if I’m Chabot I’m having him tested for sleep deprivation…..

Just sayin’

141. ASkoreyko says:

Zipdot: I’m tired of Dubnyk and I don’t care about his decent SV% from the last couple of years.Big whoop.Look at his W-L column.He’s crap.

And Yak, upset or not, needs to do what the coach says.And the coach says to forecheck.Skate.If he doesn’t want to do that, he’s not fit for the NHL.

These are pretty ignorant statements. Ignoring SV% in favor of W/L tells you nothing about the goalie and more about the team in front of him (but you already know that).

In regards to Yak, taking anything a ESL person states while being upset at full face value without proper context or tone is going to lead to wildly different interpretations, but again you seem to have already made up your mind.

I have always wondered why people who have clearly decided how they are going to think on a certain issue even bother coming to a discussion forum such as this site. If you have no chance of being swayed in your view, why even bother participating? Just so you can yell at the other side? This place is at its best when there is an open discussion about hockey with both sides making a case, not just dismissing any counter points because you know best.

DD should rebound from this, and honestly we should all be hoping he does. The Oilers have very few options other than DD, both in terms of cap space and willing trade partners.

142. dangilitis says:

1. I sincerely believe Yakupov’s comments are sometimes misinterpreted because of his poor command of the English language (I only know one language well enough to converse, so I can’t say that I blame him).
    2. Yakupov is nothing like Radulov or Kostitsyn or any other player from Russia/former USSR who doesn’t care. I believe this because his enthusiasm for the game is not even remotely paralleled by those other individuals who I will not mention again. He did not move to NA in order to go out partying before pivotal games and turn his back on the sport that gave him millions of dollars and adoring fans.
    3. Anyone who thinks we should trade Yakupov for magic beans is out to lunch, and if they were to trade Yak it would be a shortsighted move that could only be defensible if the best player in the deal (at this time) were to come to Edmonton. I just don’t see any team giving up such a player, they will be the ones looking at the 3 for 1 and that won’t work out in our favour.
    4. Eklund is the a-hole who made me think that Smyth had re-signed moments before it was announced that he was traded, so I have good evidence to never trust a damn word that person says.
    5. Dubnyk is playing bad, that’s obvious. But to comment on his general style in past years as being slow and lethargic is pinning unfair criticsm on him due to the “big man effect,” something that plagued Penner here for years. I have never seen that application to goalies, though.

143. dangilitis says:

We would have had a bigger sample size to judge Yak, as well, if Eakins had actually been playing him. There is nothing to lose if the team is in a slump and the best players who are motivated don’t need to sit to “learn lessons,” they need to play through it sometimes. If Eakins continues to sit him for 33% of the team’s games I will hate Eakins purely for mishandling Yak.

144. thejonrmcleod says:

dangilitis,

Are you the same “dangilitis” who had the epic debate with Chapman on Copper & Blue regarding RNH’s return from shoulder surgery? That was an entertaining comments section.

145. Crooked says:

The last time the Oilers made a trade 5-10 games into the season was 1990. It’d be nice if MacT were able to get something done in the next week or two, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. I think we’re stuck riding this out until at least mid-November.

146. russ99 says:

Lloyd B.:
    I think Woodguy called us a quilting circle a couple of days ago.After reading all this I have to agree.The past year it has all been love the guy, love his cellies, love him kissing the crest, may be the best of the bunch, great to use as a pipeline to acquire more Russians.Now a few games in he is being railed on.I thought it was suggested here that the MSM would run him out of Town.Don’t look in a mirror.

Awesome post.

If the Oilers deal a future 40-50 goal scorer because they can’t fathom that Euro players are just wired differently, then they’re bigger fools than I even remotely think they are now.

147. spoiler says:

FPB94: hoser313, Totally agree. Reimer’s a gem. The only reason he hasn’t been given the clear cut N1 role is that he’s a 4th round pick of the old regime, and Bernier’s a 1st pick ”rescue” of the new regime.

Reimer handles the puck like a live grenade. That’s why TO went after Bernier. Grenades.

Yak isn’t going anywhere. Not for a long while yet.

148. dangilitis says:

thejonrmcleod,

Why yes, I was. And I did it again recently, when RNH returned without a hitch. Derek Zona took on chappy’s cause and neither could admit that they were wrong, resorting to childish insults and not staying to the facts. Those two are dragging down that site big time and Zona’s a grade A ass. Which is why I can’t read any of his crap anymore.