CANADIENS AT OILERS, G4, 13-14

The Oilers get the Canadiens tonight, a club that shares some history with the town team. Who can forget the brilliant youngster Moog, and his out of this world goaltending over 30 years ago?

Azorcan3

The two teams are miles from 1981 these days, Montreal hasn’t won Stanley in 20 years and Edmonton won their last three years before the Habs’ 1993 win. In modern terms, these are elite level post-expansion clubs, as reflected in the pennant totals:

1. Montreal (11): ’68, ’69, ’71, ’73, ’76-’79, ’86, ’89, ’93
  2. Boston (9): ’70, ’72, ’74, ’77, ’78, ’88, ’90, ’11, ’13
  3. Philadelphia (8): ’74, ’75, ’76, ’80, ’85, ’87, ’97, ’10
  4. Edmonton (7): ’83, ’84, ’85, ’87, ’88, ’90, ’06
  5. Detroit (6): ’95, ’97, ’98, ’02, ’08, ’09
  6. Chicago (5): ’71, ’73, ’92, ’10, ’13
  7. New Jersey (5): ’95, ’00, ’01, ’03, ’12
  8. New York Islanders (5): ’80, ’81, ’82, ’83, ’84
  9. Dallas (4): ’81, ’91, ’99, ’00
  10. Pittsburgh (4): ’91, ’92, ’08, ’09

No sir, the Habs are no ‘pretend dynasty’ like the left coast bunch, they actually ruled the world in the post-expansion era with Lafleurs and Shutts and Lemaires and Lapointes and Savards and Robinsons and Drydens. Just as the Oilers have their icons (99, Kurri, Messier, Anderson, Coffey, Fuhr, Lowe, Tikkanen, etc) Montreal has their heroes too, and just as the current Oilers dream of a better day so do these Canadiens.

They are closer to the goal, but both teams are miles and miles away.

Genevieve Bujold In 'The King Of Hearts'

LINES, PAIRINGS AND GOALIE

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Arcobello-Perron-Hemsky
  • Gordon-Smyth-Yakupov
  • Acton-Gazdic-Brown
  • Ference-J Schultz
  • Belov-Petry
  • Smid-N Schultz
  • Dubnyk

I’m as surprised as you are, but there’s no denying Smid’s been moved down the depth chart since the 2nd period of the NJ game. I’d guess it is a short term item, but there appears to be a lot of emphasis placed on moving the puck by coach Eakins, and Belov is a very nice passer. It’s also interesting to see the move of Gordon to Smyth-Yakupov, suspect the coach loves the Yak spirit but wants a stronger rhythm section to contrast the rollicking solo’s.

Dubnyk draws back in, that’s the right play.

Not much to say about the Habs, they have wonderful players (Plekanec, Eller, Pacioetty, Subban, Price) but some guys don’t seem to be delivering (Desharnais, Briere) and the blueline is strong in some areas and a little off in others. Price remains a quality goaltender.

gb1

There appears to be much worry over the Calgary Flames and their start, but that’s not really a worry that  holds water. Edmonton beat Calgary in standings a year ago (24th, Flames one behind) and if they can’t do that again then the Oilers seriously need to have coaching and management vacate the premises and allow Daryl Katz to bring in a new group. I count fewer than 10 “actual NHL players” on that team and they have three young men who are going to be outstanding. If the Hall Oilers can’t beat that, then stop all the clocks.

Credit to the Flames, though. I watched some of last night’s game and they are working hard every shift and give no quarter. I have a great deal of respect for that hockey club this morning.

I think it’s very informative to follow the Oilers in-game Corsi, because this team hasn’t really put their feet on the ground and pushed back for 60 minutes yet–and yet they are basically 50% Corsi. Bruce McCurdy mentioned the other day that the 50% mark for Edmonton is probably putting the team in a positive position due to superior finishing skills. Good point, and if they can gain some consistency the next phase of the schedule might be a delight.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

GB2

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• David Staples from Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk about tonight’s game, a little Habs-Oilers history and the arena.
  • Ed Valentine, Big Blue View. I don’t remember an 0-5 Giants team, and I remember Joe Pisarcik. We’ll talk to Ed about it.
  • Guy Flaming from the Pipeline Show.  We’ll talk Moroz, Khaira, Betker (all played at Rexall last night) and Dillon Simpson.
  • Lester Wiltfong, Windy City Gridiron. The Marc Trestman era started 3-0, now 3-2. We’ll find out why.

Calls and tweets welcome (@Lowetide_ on twitter) and text to 10-1260.

gb6

•  Dallas Eakins: “The thing I like about Nuge is that he’s a bobblehead. I ask him to do something and he nods his head. And not only does he nod his head but he goes out and does it.”

I think the truth is that RNH is one of those guys who knows the game well enough to understand it on a higher level. I’d suggest the Nuge is less “bobblehead” and more “intellectual contemporary” but as long as it works.

455 Responses to "CANADIENS AT OILERS, G4, 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Logan91 says:

Oilers win 5-2

2. goldenchild says:

If we learned anything from last game its that the opening lines dont matter much, Yak will get shifts to play with the uber talented if he is going, also playing with Gordon is no demotion as Eakins has singled him out as his most consistant forward. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that Its a good thing having 8 or 9 quality forwards, I think were just not used to it.

Oh I think we win big today 5-1

3. theres oil in virginia says:

In fairness to the coach, I don’t think he intended “bobblehead” as a criticism. It’s one of those terms that if Pat Quinn uses, then it’s a cutdown, but if someone you respect uses it, it’s like a term of endearment.

Any word on Joensuu’s long term health?

4. G Money says:

The script the Flames are writing right now mirrors so much of the early stages of the Oilers “rebuild”. I keep getting these nightmarish flashbacks. Like the year hard work and our “three outstanding young players” (Gagner, Cogs, Nilsson) made the playoff hunt seem for a short while like it was *not* a dream …

As for tonight, any game with RNH back is cause for more optimism than before. The Oilers need to avoid a slow start. With a fast paced game to start and the Canadiens having played last night, a tie or lead heading into the third should work in Oilers favour.

Decent goaltending from Dubynk, a little more care and attention in the defensive zone, and some production from Yak should key a win…

5. Henry says:

Strange about Smid. From what I saw he wasn’t the biggest culprit in coverage issues or giveaways. Both Schultzs seemed to have more problems getting out of the zone sometimes without heavy pressure.

With Smid, it can’t be the ‘compete level’ the bard sings about, can it?

6. markasread1199 says:

Thanks LT, best 10 minutes of the day so far. A few thoughts:

1. Remember when you couldn’t pick Gretzky in a hockey pool? Five assists in Game 1!
    2. The announcer says “Here come the Oilers” – now a twitter hashtag
    3. Rod Langway – wow.
    4. Kevin Lowe was vicious.

7. Hall Awaits says:

Remember when we started 4-0, 6-2-1 etc? It won’t last in Cowtown. Although, I personally hope they’re in it right to the end insuring we won’t have Reinhardt up our ass for the next decade.

6-1 Oil tonight.

Book it.

Go Gordon!!!!

8. Andropod says:

Looked at differently – i.e. as 3 pairings as opposed to 1st, 2nd and 3rd pairing, Eakins has put out a shutdown pair and two pairs of puck handlers. Not sure whether this is a demotion or simply a set of purpose built pairings to support an aggressive offense and one safety blanket?

9. Henry says:

Andropod:

Andropod,

That makes sense. Perhaps Eakins wants to see Belov on the left side as well.

10. wheatnoil says:

It may also be an attempt to try Belov on the left side, despite his preference for playing right.

11. wheatnoil says:

Henry: Andropod,

That makes sense.Perhaps Eakins wants to see Belov on the left side as well.

Damn it Henry!

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think these two teams match up pretty well. We may see some river hockey tonight… Last goal wins!

I’ll be watching for Subban to pull a Fistric and fly out of position for that hip-check he is so enamored with. I hope Smith or Bucky are briefing the team on this… with a head up, this can really be exploited, with a head down, you can get laid out for a couple of weeks.

——–
    On Smid, I think the other commentators here have some interesting ideas. One that I question is why Eakins wouldn’t pair the shutdown guys with a puck mover. Smid is so used to the “puck retrieval” game followed by the short, direct pass to his puck mover that when he has to do the latter job on his own, he looks lost. N. Schultz the same problem.

On the other hand, I’m glad to see Eakins show faith in Belov early in the season. I hope he keep rounding his NHL game. The tools are there and he seems like a hard worker. Just needs sorties under his belt.

———-

goldenchild: LT, Another interesting slight for Smid. I was puzzled as to why he was basically the only regular besides Hemsky to not get a letter a few weeks ago. The guy certainly seemed to warrant the ‘honor’ plays hard, gives up his body and a respected vet on the team. Hemmer in his last year of his deal and with rumors all summer made sense I guess but maybe that was a tell on Smid and his future here?

This is truly puzzling. Smid or Petry make a great deal more sense than N. Schultz for that extra D captaincy.

Again, I still haven’t heard any official discussion from or about N. Schultz… the whole thing is a mirage of weird.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

THis is a great idea all-round.

Canadians love hockey. I really don’t understand why the big sports networks don’t broadcast any or at least more AHL, Jr., KHL, etc. games. I’m sure they’d do better than poker re-runs.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    Coach Eakins says Joensuu (back) and Grebeshkov (groin) are both close to returning. 37 has been skating, 6 will be this week too.

from yesterday ICYMI

15. John Chambers says:

The biggest regrets of the Oilers dynasty are not matching up against both the Habs in the 80′s, and Lemieux’s Penguins in the early 90′s for Stanley.

De-throning the Isles, and pounding the Flyers and Bruins twice each was a tidy run, but a dance with those heavyweights would’ve been like a week-long Ali fight.

16. TheOtherJohn says:

Montreal has a faiirly small team (or at least most of their skilled guys are undersized) so should make for an interesting night. Wonder if RNH has a letdown after 28 mins TOI after being out of NHL games for 6 months. He is though such a responsible guy without the puck. Strange for a 21 yr old

This is one of the early games that we should be able to win.

17. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Edmonton Oilers✔ @EdmontonOilers

from yesterday ICYMI

Gracias.

18. hockeyguy10 says:

I was at Northlands(Rexall) for game 3 and the sweep. Lasting memory was Robinson trying/wanting to murder Messier. Messier flipped his stick over,put the blade up against Big Birds throat. Couldn’t tell what #11 said but Big Bird got the message.

As for Smid and his reduced minutes,isn’t he nursing an injury.He has already taken maintenance days.

19. Racki says:

Back in the guy lafleur era and on, Montreal was my second favorite team. Don’t root for them anymore, but I always loved watching these two teams play. It generally is pretty free wheeling hockey, so I’m looking forward to a fun game to watch tonight.

20. spoiler says:

Nultz and Belov weren’t working together. So the pairings have been switched so that one of them isn’t a black hole. I don’t think this is a demotion for Smid at all.

21. TheGreatMutato says:

Anyo person who has set foot inside 30 Yonge Street in Toronto would see that the Edmonton Oilers and the Montreal Canadiens of the past are two of a very small, select few recognized ‘dynasties’.

As an aside, that same person perusing the awards and recognitions in the building would have very little, if any, reason to know that the Vancouver Canucks even exist.

22. judgedrude says:

markasread1199,

I remember being allowed to pick Gretzky. They just split up Gretzky Goals and Gretzky Assists….And people still would pick Gretzky Assists first overall.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheGreatMutato:

24. justDOit says:

judgedrude:
    markasread1199,

I remember being allowed to pick Gretzky.They just split up Gretzky Goals and Gretzky Assists….And people still would pick Gretzky Assists first overall.

So was the draft order something like this:

Gretz assists
    Kurri
    Gretz goals

25. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Are you saying there is no Pewter Statuette of Stan Smyl? Gino Odjick? Cliff Ronning? Jyrki Lumme?

I thought that there was a stature of Ronning – or am I remembering a fire hydrant…?

26. Zipdot says:

I went to school with Andy Moog’s daughter Melissa. I met him once or twice when I hung out at his house. Actually an apartment. Can’t remember if this was in Calgary or Edmonton… But he is a real nice guy. He signed an autograph for me and gave some words of wisdom. Moooooog!

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: a stature of Ronning

This is a very interesting typo.

28. Reg Dunlop says:

Habs/Oilers, should be an exciting game to watch and one the Oil should win after Calgary softened them up. 4-2 oil with Yak getting the empty netter.

Anyone else remember Joe Pisarcik? The NFL fumble on the Kneel down that blew the game to the Eagles? How about when he QBed for the Stamps. He could throw a frozen rope 60 yards but threw the 5 yard dump off with the same velocity. He had the touch of a jack-hammer operator.

29. Hammers says:

Face it Smid has been moved down for 2 reasons . N.Schultz needs his help for a 3rd line shut down pair . He doesn’t move the puck as well as Belov . When McT signed Belov we got a top 4 defencemen and he has slowly been proving it . I said in training camp Belov could be the perfect match up for Petry and Eakins is trying it . Right know that pairing maybe our 1st pairing partly due to J. Schultz learning on the job besides Ference . We have a better and a deeper “D” but I would still like another upgrade this year and not just wait for the AHL players to make the jump . Face it we really don’t have a 1st pairing we have 2 second pairing units

30. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yes – a small but significant typo.

31. TheGreatMutato says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hahaha. Well, to be fair, I guess they have Bure now.

Though in all honesty, screw the Canucks, screw their beautiful, temperate city with great restaurants and screw their smelly fans!

32. jake70 says:

Love seeing these eastern conf. teams earning frequent flyer points and crossing time zones, good on the NHL for that. Keep it comming.

That 1981 series hooked me, Moog especially, I was all in. Exciting time for a young hockey fan to latch on to a team. Would likely not even be lurking this blog if not for that series.

33. spoiler says:

justDOit: Romulus Apotheosis, Yes – a small but significant typo.

Staturesque.

34. RMGS says:

Ahh… Geneviève Bujold. She’s something special even at the “experienced” age of 71. Montréal (and Québec writ large) has endless beauty. Witness Laurence Leboeuf… http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3728507648/nm0495799?ref_=nm_phs_md_5.

The Flames will fall back down to earth soon enough. They’ve been outshot and are riding a 95% save percentage. Boy, Sean Monahan looks like a keeper, though.

The Habs are the opposite – great Corsi/Fenwick but poor save percentage. That ship will right itself, though not on the second leg of a back-to-back against our mighty team.

Let’s go Oilers, let’s go!

35. justDOit says:

7 – 5 Oilers, with two late goals by the Habs to make it interesting. C’mon boys – fill the other net and take the pressure off of Doobie!

36. LMHF#1 says:

TheGreatMutato:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Though in all honesty, screw the Canucks, screw their crowded, expensive city filled with rioters and screw their smelly fans!

There, fixed it so you don’t have to be nice to them.

37. kooler says:

when can we put a chase, moroz and kessy 4th line together. just thinking how much fun that line could be together.

38. denny33 says:

LT kind of called this one with the ice time stats for our D for the first 3 games.

Not sure if I agree with having J. Schutlz and Ference as our number one pairing….and I am not sure demoting Smid helps with the known issue of not being able to break up other teams cycle in our own end….

Montreal should be drop dead tired after playing Calgary last night. Have to give credit to Calgary – effort and energy go along way in this league….

We match up with Montreal as they are a smaller more finesse team so I am hoping we can unload on them for goals tonight.

Great updates about our prospects. LT’s info. is far superior to the print / newspaper media.

I might owe an apology to Oilers scouting if Moroz continues to score. I was – livid – with that selection.

Imagine if we can develop some of the young forward prospects to play 3rd line / 4th line next year or two with all of our stars…Throw in Nurse and Klefbom and this team’s future -seems to get brighter by the week.

39. OilClog says:

9-3 Oilers, Nuge plays 29:04 nets 6pts.

or

4-3 Oilers Nuge plays 29:04 nets 7pts. They just give him assists because he’s amazing, the locals out here sure cry foul when it comes to Hopkins lol

40. FPB94 says:

Ironically, Thursday is the only day where I cant stay up late to watch the Oil.

Life is cruel. Go CanOilers.

41. rogue says:

The thing I liked about watching the old Oil, is that whenever there was a scrum, every Oiler would stick his nose into it. Kurri, Hagman, would always be there just to even things up. Never to fight. That is what every player on the Oil needs to do, in EVERY pushing and shoving scrum.

Gawd, Gretsky was smooth..

42. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    THis is a great idea all-round.

Romulus Apotheosis,

I have asked around about why don’t networks like Rogers, Bell or even a shaw type broadcaster.

I have asked this significantly about CHL games. The response I have gotten from some people who would have a very good idea is this.

1) cost of production for a quality broadcast
    2) availability of good production crews
    3) travel
    4) building size is quite a issue for CHL teams. Not the size of the ice but the ability to run production easily

Essentially it keeps coming back to me as it is easier and more cost “predictive” with poker or US re-broadcasts. Also another fear is because of the above mentioned issues, that broadcast crews and production would only happen in the major centers creating a bias for recruiting and availability of players down the road.

But the light at the end of the tunnel i am told is this;

the rise of PVR will lead networks back to re-visit this especially with the high cost of pro sports rights.

as for the AHL i am told they simply dont think the demand is there.

as for the KHL no network wants to anger the NHL right now especially when TV rights are upcoming.

43. TeeVee says:

Henry,

I think in Smid’s case, it’s not his level of compete that’s in question, it’s his ability to make breakout passes tape-to-tape.

He’s definitely no puck-mover.

44. spoiler says:

Shaw does show CHL games. At least one a week.

45. spoiler says:

Tenth day of the tenth month… I feel good about Yak tonight.

46. Clay says:

Massive game for DD. If he is average (say .910) or better, then all is forgiven. If he poops in his nest, however…

As a youngin’ growing up in Northern Alberta (Manning), that series against the Habs put NHL hockey on the map for me. All the parents were indignant that this WHA team would dare defy hockey’s only rightful champions, and all the kids wanted to be Moog or Gretz.

47. BlacqueJacque says:

Montreal is going to be either very motivated after last night’s loss to the lacklustre Flames, or very despondent.

If we win easily, we prove nothing.

If we go in thinking we’ll win easy, there’s a good chance we get blown out.

48. supernova says:

spoiler:
    Shaw does show CHL games. At least one a week.

spoiler,

Yes, they do, better than nothing but with very lacklustre results.

49. BlacqueJacque says:

supernova,

Recruiting? I was sure the CHL operated via draft.

50. spoiler says:

BlacqueJacque: supernova, Recruiting? I was sure the CHL operated via draft.

Ahh, so conscription then.

51. spoiler says:

supernova: spoiler, Yes, they do, better than nothing but with very lacklustre results.” Also another fear is because of the above mentioned issues, that broadcast crews and production would only happen in the major centers creating a bias for recruiting and availability of players down the road.the Calgary’s, Vancouvers, Edmontons, Seattle’s would all likely get much more games and views with this. ”I watch the shaw broadcast as much as possible but the above is mentioned after speaking to people in the broadcast business including people at shaw.

This is the first year in a long stretch that I haven’t felt compelled to PVR and watch the Shaw broadcasts… because we are hopefully not picking in the top 10. I’m an optimistic bastard at times.

52. BlacqueJacque says:

spoiler: Ahh, so conscription then.

Oh yeah, just imagine the lineups of players wanting to get to Prince George. The closest competitor is only a 6 hour bus ride away, in Kamloops, and Brandon is only 20 hours away (and worse by air, often requiring two or three stops!)

They should seriously remove PG as a franchise, just for humanitarian reasons.

53. judgedrude says:

justDOit: So was the draft order something like this:

Gretz assists
    Kurri
    Gretz goals

54. HeavySig says:

Reg,

I remember Joe Pisarcik well, along with his cannon of an arm. I also remember his total lack of touch on the ball, his receivers couldn’t catch his throws. They were always bouncing off of helmets, numbers, anything. When he resurfaced in the NFL, he hadn’t changed and he ended up with the goat horns on that whole Fumble/Miracle thing (the fumbled hand-off instead off the kneel down – his OC had called over his objections). Wilkie, with nowhere near the arm strength, could drop the ball into the receivers hands at a much better completion percentage.

I actually liked a lot of Calgary players from that era; I wanted to play like John Helton and I don’t know if I have seen a CFL back run better than Willie Burden. Plus Hufgnagel was great comic relief – who knew he would turn into a QB coaching genius?

I was a Habs fan as a kid growing up, until they met the hometown Oilers in the NHL. I was a little surprised at how Edmonton knocked them out so easily, but I never mourned their fall. They had a great team and a great run, but the new kids were so much fun to watch.

55. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis: “The Oilers get the Canadiens tonight, a club that shares some history with the town team.”I think these two teams match up pretty well. We may see some river hockey tonight… Last goal wins.

Maybe Eakins feels the same way and is loading up his top two pairings with the most offence he can find. Smid/Sholdtz see lots of PK and 3rd period to close it out when the Oilers are up by 3.

56. D says:

Thanks for posting the playoff video LT. Man, that Coffey guy was a smooth skater.

57. gcw_rocks says:

That 1981 series was what really turned me into a die hard hockey fan. I was 12 at the time, and Moog was my favourite player from that moment on. The first playoff game I ever saw live was the game the Oilers won against the Islanders in the next series. Thanks for the memories!

58. mumbai max says:

judgedrude: Gretz goals wasn’t so high.I do remember at least one or both of the Nordiques (P. Stastny and Goulet) being taken top five.Oh, so long ago.Going through the huge 2 pages of stats in the Tuesday Sun.(It was Tuesday, right?)I know how much time I spent there.How much time did LT spend there?

For at least three years, in my hockey pools Gretz assists went first and Gretz goals next. He could be counted on to go to the final, stay healthy, and be on fire for the playoffs.

59. Henry says:

D:
    Thanks for posting the playoff video LT.Man, that Coffey guy was a smooth skater.

Dave Lumley elbowed Robinson and lived!

I haven’t lost memories of Gretzky’s greatness, but forgot just how wonderful a player Lafleur was.

60. VanOil says:

OilClog,

Donairland by the Joyce-Collingwood Skytrain station. Any style you want even if it not on the menu outstanding.

61. BlacqueJacque says:

Man, everyone is so slow in that video. The goalies are tiny (I think nets should be bigger to make up for the fact that in place of 5’9 Andy Moog, we now have 6’6 Devan Dubnyk), hardly anyone crosschecking in front of the net, hardly anyone standing in front, no shot blocking, not much in the way of dump-ins.

62. Bag of Pucks says:

Sweeping the Habs! It didn’t get any better than that.

I’ll always remember the ‘hip pocket’ sideplot.

The sight of Gretzky pointing to his hip pocket while he skated past Sevigny. Classic.

63. Lois Lowe says:

Fun fact, on this day in 1979 the Oilers played their very first game in the NHL.

64. VanOil says:

While a 50% Corsi # for the Oilers through 3 whole games represents a massive improvement compared to previous years what do you make of SJ?

After 3 games they are averaging 44.3 SF and 21.7 SA per game. If the Sharks continue out shooting there opponents this way they will be as dominant as Chicago was last year.

65. Bag of Pucks says:

RE: Laurence Leboeuf btw

Did a quick google images search for her and it’s a classic example of how much makeup can impact a women’s appearance. Without it, she’s fairly plain Jane. With it, she’s a stunner.

66. Bag of Pucks says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Man, everyone is so slow in that video.

Put Orr in his prime in a pair of Reeboks now and he would still dance around half the league today.

67. goldenchild says:

OilClog: Being on the westcoast.. The food out here is marginal at best, everyone is so gun-ho for sea-food and sushi.. everything else leaves lots to be desired.. I swear to God, I haven’t had a proper mouth watering Donair since I left the 780. 8 years of being out here, the weather is beautiful, the women are gorgeous, the food.. Blah.

This is crazy, the food is absolutely fantastic in lower mainland. Outside of the great Seafood and sushi restaraunts you have so many great places and so many different cuisines.
    Some of my fav non sushi-Seafood places
    Hawksworth
    Chioppino’s
    Hy’s Steakhouse
    Chambar
    Vij’s
    La Pentola
    Via Tevere
    Les Faux Bourgeois
    La taqueria or Sol Y Lemon for tacos
    Meat and Bread for Sandwhiches

The food trucks all over town especially downtown are top notch, not to mention amazing Pho places all over Kingsway, great authentic chinese food in Richmond, throw a rock and there is a great place to eat in lower mainland.

They dont make donairs but the Mangal Kiss Cart located outside of the Art Gallery has amazing kebob wraps, very fresh quality meats and all condiments/sauces made in house. Just fantastic

What type of food are you looking for?

68. spoiler says:

judgedrude: Gretz goals wasn’t so high. I do remember at least one or both of the Nordiques (P. Stastny and Goulet) being taken top five. Oh, so long ago. Going through the huge 2 pages of stats in the Tuesday Sun. (It was Tuesday, right?) I know how much time I spent there. How much time did LT spend there?

I remember Coffey paying off huge as an early pick one year.

69. BlacqueJacque says:

Bag of Pucks: Humans didn’t take a quantum evolutionary leap in the last 30 years. Yes, skates are much lighter now and the athletes are better conditioned thanks to advances in training and diet. But there was plenty of fast skaters back then (Gartner, Courtnall, Anderson, etc) just as there is still plenty of slow skaters now.

I don’t know about that. There was no evolutionary leap, but training and nutrition went from all-but non-existent to really advanced. Looking at that video, players have so much time, take so long to cross the ice. I’d say the average NHLer is about 15-20% faster now than then.

70. B S says:

Bag of Pucks,

I would disagree. Training and nutrition make a huge difference, plus you don’t see players smoking on the benches anymore. Some, like Orr, would still look good, but you also have to remember that alot of the players coming up have been training, not just playing but actually working on technique, since they were little kids. Along with serious fitness regimes players now are generally a lot faster and even Orr would probably look average by current standards (in speed and fitness, probably still have an elite view of the game).

71. Racki says:

VanOil:

I’m sure there is a stat that proves their Corsi to be unsustainable

72. Bag of Pucks says:

What you’re seeing/perceiving can be attributed to less aggressive systems/forechecks.

Human beings have not become 20% faster in the last 30 years. Evolution doesn’t work that way.

73. B S says:

BlacqueJacque,

…I mean, ditto.

74. Bag of Pucks says:

Sorry, but the argument you’re making isn’t based on empirical evidence but on an ageist bias that believes that everything modern must be better and thus all resultant output must be better.

Not all players smoked back then. Some trained very hard. Some were very very fast.

Conversely, Ryan Whitney played in the NHL last year. He couldn’t turn in one direction.

Spare me this ‘everything that’s new is better’ bunk. It doesn’t hold up under scrutiny.

75. BlacqueJacque says:

B S:
    BlacqueJacque,

…I mean, ditto.

I thought you did a better job of making the point.

76. bookje says:

I didn’t think the game was that slow – pretty comparable actually.

77. BlacqueJacque says:

Bag of Pucks:

Spare me this ‘everything that’s new is better’ bunk. Itdoesn’t hold up under scrutiny.

Even the players who played back then admit today’s is a faster game. During the late 90s, even when hockey seemed increasingly dominated by thugs, Gretzky himself said he was retiring because he couldn’t keep up with the increasing speed of the game.

For the record, I’m not arguing that today’s is a better game. Just more athletic and skilled.

78. Bag of Pucks says:

Here’s the winners for the last 20 years of the NHL’s fastest skater competition

1992 Sergei Fedorov 14.363
    2004 Scott Niedermayer 13.783
    2007 Andy McDonald 14.03
    2008 Shawn Horcoff 14.395
    2009 Andrew Cogliano 14.31
    2011 Michael Grabner 14.238
    2012 Carl Hagelin 13.218

No 15-20% increase in performance output I’m afraid.

79. TheGreatMutato says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Ryan Whitney played in the NHL last year. He couldn’t turn in one direction.

80. B S says:

Bag of Pucks,

It’s not “evolution” in the biological sense. It’s a matter of behavioural evolution, with a fair bit of technological advancement thrown in. Coaching has, if anything, slowed the game down not sped it up. Traps and forechecks limit players’ ability to use the full ice and and hit full stride. New equipment has certainly made a noticeable difference (lighter equipment, better skates), but our knowledge about fitness and health has advanced by leaps and bounds in the last 40 years. Modern players are given strict diets for muscle building, stamina. Modern drugs can also play a role in shortening recovery times, and (unethically) increase muscle building. I can’t find it anywhere, but I would love to know how much the number of marathon runners has increased over the last 40 years. I would bet it is significantly greater than the overall population growth.

81. BlacqueJacque says:

Bag of Pucks,

“average”. No one’s denying that there were elite athletes who took training and performance seriously back then. My point is that, as a whole, the league is faster.

82. bookje says:

BlacqueJacque: Even the players who played back then admit today’s is a faster game.During the late 90s, even when hockey seemed increasingly dominated by thugs, Gretzky himself said he was retiring because he couldn’t keep up with the increasing speed of the game.

Maybe because he was feeling older? He still did ok if I recall.

If you took a team from 1982 and had them play a team from 2013, it would likely be a pretty dramatic one sided win for the 2013 team, I agree.

However, if you took the 1982 team and gave them 6 months of training and nutrition and the same equipment as the 2013 team, then they would probably be equally competitive.

83. B S says:

Bag of Pucks,

Except that now Hall, Yakupov and probably Perron could all skate under that 15 second mark, just from the Oilers. Place Orr circa 1970s with a new pair of skates on the ice, and he won’t faster than any of those players. Orr couldn’t outskate the average NHL player today because there has been a huge change in the overall speed at the NHL level.

I’m not trying to tell you that hockey today is “better” (it isn’t, I’ve sat down with old time hockey games and they’re a blast to watch). I just don’t think you appreciate the change in culture in terms of fitness and training among pro athletes, and the difference it can make in their performance.

84. spoiler says:

For the rest of the Oiler fans stuck down here in Flamerland… tonight’s game is broadcast on Sportsnet Edmonton, not Sportsnet West. We get a choice of MLB playoffs or Thursday NIght Football…

However it looks like the game is being broadcast on the PPV channels. I have it as CH 302 for the HD broadcast. Whether or not there is a PPV charge remains to be seen, but there hasn’t been one in the past.

85. B S says:

bookje,

I might suggest more than 6 months (a year probably), but I think your comparison illustrates the point quite well. a 1982 NY Islanders with modern training and equipment would probably waltz to Stanley Cup leaving a wake of shock, blood, and tears in their wake, even with the difference in size vs modern players.

86. stevezie says:

bookje: The biggest difference for me is the size of the goalie padding – it made it much more exciting as the goalie had to move to make most saves. I think the modern ‘wall’ goalie also changes the style of play significantly as you now have teams looking for the perfect shot more often making the game more monotonous.

In a nutshell, this is why I’m in favour of bigger nets. I originally resented the idea because I wanted consistency between the eras, but that is a dream. Equipment, technique, Size!.. everything about goaltending has changed so much that it is already impossible to compare Mike Bossy to Alex Ovechkin.

What finally changed my mind was the Sam Gagner game. That was a blast. Bad goaltending is a blast. I’d like to outlaw goalie coaches, but I don’t know how. Slightly (two inches!) larger nets is a great compromise.

87. BlacqueJacque says:

bookje,

I don’t think the average 1982 team was as good, even if they had a year of training. There’s some skills they didn’t have, like footwork, for example. Players today can receive the puck on their skates, they know how to kick it around, pass it to themselves or a teammate. I’m not sure a goalie from back then could learn a modern style in time, and I doubt between his size and style he could stop modern NHL shooters with 6 months of training.

The result would be closer, but a best-of-7 would end in a 4-1 win for the 2013 team, and the smart money playing the odds in Vegas would sit on 4-0.

88. TheGreatMutato says:

I recall reading an article somewhere, some-time-ago, in which scientists were studying the theoretical max speed of a human sprinter. They ball-parked the fastest possible 100m time to be somewhere in the low 9 second range.

Compared to speeds in dog racing and horse racing, humans keep getting faster – approaching that theoretical limit.

No one would argue that athletes of the past weren’t tremendous at what they did, but the records keep falling. Obviously something has happened. The big thing people have pointed out is the contribution of science to the modern athlete. Going back to sprinters, they now know which specific action in each part of the stride has the greatest impact on acceleration. This allows people to train accordingly and, hell, throw in science’s contribution to nutrition and we find people can train longer with faster recovery and better results. May as well pile on the benefits of better tracks, better shoes while we’re at it.

Anyone who has ever attempted anything remotely athletic understands the vast chasm between ‘training’ and ‘training smart’. There is no doubt that many a great athlete trained as hard in the past as they might today, but there is a big difference in ‘staying in shape by working on the farm’ to being wired to a biometric matrix and analyzed by team of scientists to see what’s working and what’s not.

Sure, you could cherry-pick an athlete from the past and drop him into today’s world of sports-technology and assume he/she would compete. But that’s kind of beside the point. We are looking at snapshots in time and there is really no denying that athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster now then they have ever been.

89. BlacqueJacque says:

stevezie,

This isn’t baseball, there’s literally no equivalency in eras.

90. DeadmanWaking says:

OilClog: I swear to God, I haven’t had a proper mouth watering Donair since I left the 780.

Dude, you’re on the wrong freakin’ coast. Nothing beats a donair and a side of hardtack washed down with a choogle of screech. When I lived in Montreal, the cheapest places to lunch were Lebanese falafel joints. Which sucked, because they were tasty but I can’t digest falafel flour. The best cuisine for my taste and budget was Indian (I was working for what could charitably be described as an unfunded start-up venture, surviving on a belt-tightening trickle of sales that never ramped up). Vancouver is pretty good for seafood and Asian fusion, but I don’t get over there much. Depends what you like.

From A list of significant hockey riots in Canada:

1993: Montreal’s Stanley Cup victory over the Los Angeles Kings turned ugly when fans began vandalizing stores and setting police cars ablaze. Nearly 170 people were injured and more than 100 were arrested. The violence caused an estimated $2.5 million in damage.

I was there, indoors, ignoring it all. Nobody thought it represented the city as a whole.

I’ve lived in Victoria, Vancouver (Kits for just a month), Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Peace River country, Waterloo, Toronto, Montreal, and Halifax. I also had a couple of weeks visiting Quebec City where my brother was doing French immersion. I don’t what it is about Vancouver, but of everywhere I’ve been I just didn’t want to live there. Montreal changes a lot from decade to decade. I was there during an economic downturn. Rue Ste. Catherine got pretty grim for a while: tits, arcades, overgrown lots, and store-front windows papered over with newsprint.

Sinkhole swallows backhoe in downtown Montreal

When I was there, most of the holes in the road were caused by some sucktion effect of the Olympic stadium, which was regularly molting giant slabs (these were large: definitely wear your wrinkle-proof coyote suit). A block east and a block south of this recent back-hoe swallowing pothole was a pub on Bishop where Mordecai Richler was reputed to hang out, but I never saw the man. One evening when I was downing my second Guinness at a slightly shabby yet charming Irish pub in waltzed Pan Burns. His shoulders really blocked out the light when he entered through that tiny flip-flop door. The thing was, there was nowhere in Montreal where some cosmo figure might not barge in at any minute, as more or less one of the guys. In Montreal, the cool weren’t so rare and special they needed to cordon themselves off from the hoi polloi, for whom cool is an unreachable planet. In Montreal, cool is stone soup. Everyone adds to the pot, if some more than others.

Hockey riots are mainly started by pukes. Every city has them. Montreal had a thriving culture in black-market cigarettes when I was there. In a certain type of pub (these were thick on the ground) you could count on a business-minded gym rat with an overstuffed duffel bag showing up every hour or two, shilling cartons like a postie on meth the week before xmas. This was a brisk business. Degrees of separation between this exceedingly flagrant black-market activity and the Oka crisis were not large, and did not exclude guns. I heard a gun fight one night with about twenty shots exchanged. There was nothing in the paper the next day. I placed it slightly east of McGill (as the river flows), with the police as one of the main combatants. Probably with a biker gang. Or two. These were more out of control than normal at that point in time.

The women knew how to dress, and everyone took a c’est la vie attitude toward the rampant corruption in the construction industry. Many that’s what sucks about Vancouver. Too many women dress dowdy granola chic. I never cracked the poseurhood vibe during my month in Kits. Vive La Différence! But not that différence.

91. stevezie says:

BlacqueJacque: I’d focus more on making them taller

92. OilFire says:

Lois Lowe:

Yep, the Oilers played their first game to celebrate me being born!

93. BlacqueJacque says:

stevezie: Nice idea but I don’t think safety will allow it. Keeping the puck away from head-height is going to be an increasing priority.

Players will be wearing full facemasks within 15 years. Book it.

94. Bag of Pucks says:

1993 Mike Gartner skating with his crappy skates and outdated training methods finished .3 behind 2012 era Carl Hagelin with his “fitness/performance/equipment/culture” edge

This is what’s known as a fact – or supporting evidence if you will.

You allege the overall game is faster because the Oilers have three elite skaters on their roster (Hall, Yakupov and Perron). As fate would have it, that 81 Oilers roster had 3 elite skaters Anderson, Messier, Coffey, and neither Kurri or Gretzky were slouches either. So more faster players overall? Yet to be proved.

Regardless, this is anecdotal evidence and it’s doesn’t carry much weight. Unless you can provide empirical evidence showing players are 15-20% faster (hint: you can’t), your argument is ageist bias.

Btw, no one’s arguing the game isn’t faster. Of course performance output increases incrementally over time. It doesn’t however leap ahead by 20% in 30 years (an infinitesimal spam in evolutionary terms).

And yes, Ali would’ve beaten the crap out of Tyson.

95. TheGreatMutato says:

OilClog:

While other cities get recognized for the quality of their international cuisine, I think that if a category for “best international cuisine sold out of the side of a van” came into existence, Edmonton would have it in the bag.

96. Ice Sage says:

BlacqueJacque: stevezie, This isn’t baseball, there’s literally no equivalency in eras.Players block shots today at a rate that would have crippled teams from the ’70s and ’80s. Padding is better on players, on goalies, sticks are different, safety equipment is different. And, you know, remember when Cheevers put on the mask? That just made it easier to shoot at his head. It’s the NFL syndrome – the more gear you have, the harder you can hit the guy, the less concern you have for his safety.Nets need to be bigger, period. They should definitely be taller – Andy Moog couldn’t play a hard butterfly because Andy Moog’s head would be below the crossbar if he was down, and he’d have a foot of gap between his shoulders and the net. Devan Dubnyk on his knees covers 60% of the damn net, and his shoulders are pretty much even with the crossbar. They should be a bit wider, too, but I’d focus more on making them taller – even 3 inches, ideally 4 to make up for the bulk of the padding. Force goalies to choose between high and low.Also, make chest pads with a hard outer layer, not a shock-absorbing puck-glue. And make the pad round, not square, so the goalie has less control of where the puck rebounds.

All good ideas! Standard leg pad length e.g. 34 inches (with Kevlar protection knee / thigh pads behind) would chasten some gumby goalies (DD included). No need for a ‘cheater’ on the catching glove either.

Oh yeah, GOIL

97. hockeyguy10 says:

kooler,

That was in the first game of the series. Probably where it all started.

98. kooler says:

OilClog,

Just had a good in Kerrisdale ..place called Sofra.

Been here 23 years…..there are tonnes of great places to eat. Go to Nuba if you want to step you your donair experience.

99. Bag of Pucks says:

TheGreatMutato: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJ1HDcMowk

Nice. Always liked the Eugoogoly line too.

100. Bar_Qu says:

Bag of Pucks:

And yes, Ali would’ve beaten the crap out of Tyson.

That would still be a great fight, regardless of which fighter you backed.

101. BlacqueJacque says:

Ice Sage: While we’re on this topic, let’s not forget composite sticks – a huge counterpoint to bigger goalies and equipment.

I am totally with you on that.

Nerf goalie padding, go back to wooden sticks, have all equipment manufactured to specifications. The problem would be getting international leagues and play on board.

102. BlacqueJacque says:

My prediction for the game: Yak goes 1-1-2 as he’s sparked by competing against best buddy Alex.

103. TheOtherJohn says:

Bag of Pucks on empirical data on NHL fastest skater…..Classic!!

I believe people are larger today than a generation ago. Diet? Steriods in the foodchain? not sure why, but they definitely larger.

As to faster: Percy Williams (a Canadian) won the 100 metres at the 1928 Olympics with a time of 10.8. Thats 85 years ago. . Last year Bolt won in the 100 metres in a time of 9.63. The only person to ever beat 9.75 in the Olympics is Bolt, alone (twice). Donovan Bailey’s time from 17 years ago would have been 4th in this past Olympics. If we used Williams time from 1928 there has been less than a 15% improvement in 85 years. Expect with benefit of 6 months of modern traning Percy Williams might get his time to 10.5, or less. Which would be a 7% difference…. in 85 years

So to your assertion as to today’s athlete being faster: yup, A little bit

104. hunter1909 says:

Bar_Qu: That would still be a great fight, regardless of which fighter you backed.

Arguably that fight happened: Foreman v Ali.

Undefeated school bully meets his worst nightmare.

Possibly the best fight in boxing history.

105. denny33 says:

BlacqueJacque,

No kidding….how about all the famous stars who used to smoke in between periods….

106. hunter1909 says:

Eejits coming in to argue re how everyone today is patently superior to anyone from history?

HF Board culture finally invades Lowetide?

I’ll be complaining and whining on about ‘the good old days’ next.

107. denny33 says:

BlacqueJacque,

I have heard Wayne Gretzky say most 3rd pairing defenceman in the early 80′s couldn’t skate….

108. Bar_Qu says:

hunter1909: Arguably that fight happened: Foreman v Ali.

Undefeated school bully meets his worst nightmare.

Possibly the best fight in boxing history.

I emphatically agree with this statement.

Though Tyson was a different fighter than Foreman, for not just a few different reasons, they both overwhelmed with power.

109. TheOtherJohn says:

hunter1909:

Possibly the best fight in boxing history.

Alexis Arguello v Aaron Pryor

Unbelievable battle. Most punches thrown , most punches connecting…..absolute bombs

110. Bank Shot says:

bookje:
    I didn’t think the game was that slow – pretty comparable actually.

The biggest difference for me is the size of the goalie padding – it made it much more exciting as the goalie had to move to make most saves.I think the modern ‘wall’ goalie also changes the style of play significantly as you now have teams looking for the perfect shot more often making the game more monotonous.

Size of equipment makes some difference. I think by far the biggest change is in technique. Goalies nowadays are so polished and smooth in their movements and save selection. They always square up to the shooters so even if they aren’t noticeably bigger then goalies of the past, they appear bigger. In the youtube clip where the Canadiens hit the post, Moog has both pads down and is doing some type of upper body fade away from the puck. He leaves the whole top of the net open.

The technology in the equipment now is just night and day as well. You could take pads from the 80′s the same size as modern pads and the modern pads just blow them away. I just bought a pair of profly pads, and they practically force you into a butterfly when you go down.

111. Bag of Pucks says:

Tyson v Ali is that dream matchup that you have ringside seats to in heaven!

And it doesn’t count as empirical evidence ; ) but I take Ali against Tyson (the AI) and the GOAT wins every time on EA Fight Night. lol

112. Bag of Pucks says:

TheOtherJohn: Alexis Arguello v Aaron Pryor

For sheer entertainment value, I go with this one.

113. Bag of Pucks says:

114. Henry says:

Bag of Pucks:

This is what’s known as a fact – or supporting evidence if you will.

Btw, no one’s arguing the game isn’t faster. Of course performance output increases incrementally over time.It doesn’t however leap ahead by 20% in 30 years (an infinitesimal spam in evolutionary terms).

And yes, Ali would’ve beaten the crap out of Tyson.

Gartner would have been a good player in any era. I believe Pierre Larouche (seen in the video) would have had a pretty rough Corsi in the current game.

115. spoiler says:

hunter1909: Arguably that fight happened: Foreman v Ali.Undefeated school bully meets his worst nightmare.Possibly the best fight in boxing history.

I disagree. I think Joe Frazier is a far closer comp for Tyson. Shorter compact powerful body. And the fights against Ali were absolutely brutal, culminating in the Thrilla.

Foreman was a giant of a man. He doesn’t remind me of Tyson in the least.

116. TheOtherJohn says:

Pierre Larouche would have had a pretty bad Corsi in his era while scoring 50 goals twice

117. Pajamah says:

TheOtherJohn,

I’d go with either of Mickey Ward – Arturo Gatti 1 or 2. Watch them back to back, those are GREAT fights!

118. hunter1909 says:

TheOtherJohn: Alexis Arguello v Aaron Pryor

As for real actual fight’s I’ve witnessed: One of the best I’ve ever seen was between two girls in a launderette.

119. Bag of Pucks says:

At the risk of beating a dead horse, advances in broadcast technology are another reason why some may perceive the modern game as faster than an earlier era.

Remember the first time you went to a live NHL game and were amazed by how much faster the game appeared live compared to on television? It’s amazing how things like clarity, depth of field and perspective field impact our brain’s perception of an event.

For the same reason, it’s very difficult to eliminate perception bias when comparing today’s game broadcast in digital hi definition with a much higher frame rate to a thirty year old analog tape broadcast. Seeing is believing and unfortunately, these young’uns who are making the incredibly naive statement that Bobby Orr couldn’t outskate today’s average NHLer never had the opportunity to see that era live – so it will always seem like an apples v oranges comparison given the broadcast limitations > perception bias they fail to overcome.

I think it’s an interesting aspect of the human experience that you don’t truly appreciate the accomplishments of earlier eras until you acquire a fair amount of seasoning yourself and that experience thus informs the old adage that ‘the more things change, the more they stay the same.”

I will give the modern era one concession. Scientific advances have definitely lead to an average increase in female boob size during my lifetime and I heartily celebrate that evolutionary leap.

120. hunter1909 says:

spoiler: I think Joe Frazier is a far closer comp for Tyson.

Good call. Similar styles, kind of, and Frazier always gave Ali fits.

Foreman might have KO’d Tyson ala what he did to Frazier.

OILERS BRASS TAKE NOTE: Your’e about to be playing the Montreal Canadiens, and we’re more interested talking boxing history.

121. Bag of Pucks says:

hunter1909: What’s interesting about Foreman vs Ali is: The absolute contrast in styles/ Foreman’s entering the fight as undefeated heavyweight champion/ Ali’s genius, in turning the fight into a kindergarten playground brawl.

Hunter, sadly Ali’s genius (i.e. the Rope a Dope) may have been one of the greatest contributors to his eventual decline and subsequent Parkinsons.

It’s really a shame he didn’t get out before those last two fights with Holmes and Berbick.

122. ashley says:

Nutrition always gets way too much play. In medicine, every patient thinks they can mitigate disease by what they put in their mouths. As if eating lentils and tofu will somehow prevent a heart attack in a guy whose father, grandfather, and great grandfather died suddenly of heart attacks in their 40′s. Sure it might help a little, but 99% of disease is predetermined in our genes. Certain well known risk factors accelerate disease like smoking, alcohol, diabetes, obesity etc, however if we were doing a Vollman chart, nutrition would be a tiny blue speck and genetics would be a circle the size of Jupiter.

The same logic transfers to athletics, IMO. The body needs calories to make it go. Certain athletes are elite at what they do because they have been gifted with genes that help them excel at this game. That includes things like endurance, efficient oxygen transfer, muscle efficiency, dexterity, nd high pain tolerance. As long as calories are there to power the body, it doesn’t matter a whole lot whether the calories were ingested as hamburgers, potato chips, or organic/gluten free pasta with free range, grassfed meatballs (assuming adequate basic vitamins and nutrients which is easy to accomplish without even trying in the first world where food is various and abundant).

I think the game is faster and requires more skill today for two reasons: 1) Evolution of player and coaching techniques, and most importantly 2) More young kids playing to make the big leagues. A larger number of hockey players to draw from allows for selection of faster, bigger, and more talented players in the world’s best league. Taken to the extreme, if everyone was forced to play hockey in their youth, the NHL would have even faster, bigger, and more talented players than it currently does.

123. commonfan14 says:

Really? No talk at all about Thornton’s “strokin it” quote?

This is a mature group.

124. ashley says:

LT’s original 6 game day posts are always great reading. He brings his best stuff for the Habs and Leafs games. Thanks for this.

125. SlapBet says:

2-1 Montreal after 1st. (Hall scores)

3-3 after 2nd (Eberle, then arcobello)

4-4 end of reg. (Eberles 2nd)

5-4 OT (perron) solidifing a spot in our hearts as one of the kids

Don’t think I hate Yak, I love him, I’m sure gets his first point tonight as an assist..but I take it he hits a couple more posts tonight (which is more impressive if you think about it as the posts are a smaller surface area then the goal mouth…just viewing the positives)

126. Lois Lowe says:

OilFire: Yep, the Oilers played their first game to celebrate me being born!

Binary birthday twin!

127. hunter1909 says:

ashley: 99% of disease is predetermined in our genes.

Prove it.

ashley: As long as calories are there to power the body, it doesn’t matter a whole lot whether the calories were ingested as hamburgers, potato chips

Okay. Try eating McDonald’s hamburgers for a month, while training for a full contact fighting contest. The rotten food you eat will cause your body to react in many unpleasant ways.

128. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

In regards to the Flames, I generally feel the fans and possibly management are living the Nilsson/Cogliano facade of an accelerated rebuild. It can intoxicate management into believing they are further ahead than time and the stark reality of competition will prove out. It just takes time once you press the restart button by unloading your pillars. It was the right thing for Calgary to do but can they fully commit to it? It will take years. I really don’t have worries they will have the fuel to keep themselves out of the basement by the time the season is done. Having said that….great attitude, great compete in their guys so far. Need a little more of that with the Oil.

Look forward to the game. The players are settling down, getting comfortable with Eakins systems and fleshing out the pecking order for deserved ice-time. So far, Eakins seems to be reinforcing a meritocracy approach. Go Oil.

129. TheGreatMutato says:

commonfan14,

I’m assuming that everyone here, like me, is just silently hoping that he scores 4 goals against Vancouver tonight.

130. Bag of Pucks says:

If I’m Eakins, I give Justin Schultz a compilation video entitled the best of Erik Karlsson – stick positioning and puck retrieval. Karlsson has a slight build too, but he anticipates the play much better in the Dzone and we need J Schultz to learn that asap cos he’s killing us out there. Once the kid gets it, we’ll be lethal on the transition game but man, it’s nearly as painful as the Coffey learning curve at the moment.

He could probably learn a fair amount from watching PK tonight too, albeit Subban is a more physical specimen.

for crying out loud, save Paajarvi!!!

132. regwald says:

for crying out loud, save Paajarvi!!!

This is an old timey coach thing. We will fit this square peg in a round hole if it kills us or him. Nothing teaches a player to change and improve than being a healthy scratch game after game after game.

Bag of Pucks:

There’s some truth to what you say, but as someone who has gone to hockey games for 30 years, its way, way faster now.

Not close really.

All the pros you’ve heard interviewed have the same answer as well.

134. BlacqueJacque says:

I don’t like baseball, but the Oakland Athletics are a team that I find impossible to not cheer for. Year after year, they defy the expectations of their financial situation.

135. Yeti says:

ashley: The same logic transfers to athletics, IMO. The body needs calories to make it go. Certain athletes are elite at what they do because they have been gifted with genes that help them excel at this game.

136. cadooo says:

I don’t think the NHL fastest skating results are a good measure for the speed of the game. I think the endurance of NHL athletes has improved over time which would lead to a faster game.

If you look at the Boston Marathon the times got faster overtime by 52.08. Boston Marathon Winners In the 70′s it looks like the modern athlete was born. Of course the knowledge gained in other sports has been slowly making it’s way into hockey.

In the past hockey players often had to work summer jobs because most players didn’t make very good salaries. Phil Esposito used to work summers in a Sault. St. Marie steel mill. These days players spend the off season training.

If there was a record of players VO2 max over the years I assume we would see a steady increase.

137. Lucinius says:

Few things;

1) Nutrition is actually very important for top athletes. Its not going to improve upon their maximum potential much, but it will have a massive impact on how efficiently they can hit that maximum potential, for how long and with what kind of after-affect.

2) The average player is much faster than the average player even 20 years ago, let alone 30 years ago or before. There were a few players back then who would still be among the fastest players in today’s game, but your average player? Its not even close. It wasn’t even remotely rare for your bottom pairing or fourth line to struggle at skating — especially turning.

Gretz and Messier used to love to screw with Semenko. More than a few practices had them and other put pillows and such near the end boards behind the net because the joke was Semenko could skate in a straight line but he turned like an aircraft carrier. Semenko wasn’t even among the five worst skaters on the Oilers, imo, and he wasn’t that fast even in a straight line.

The biggest difference, however, isn’t in top speed (which has seen gains), but in conditioning to allow most players to play huge minutes with little impact on their ability. Back in the old days only the elite athletes could manage that and that was in part due to the fact they simply declined at a lesser rate than their opponents (which is what made them look so damn good late in games, facing players who were dog tired while they were merely tired).

Another huge difference is simple knowledge and system play. Nowhere is the most evident than in goalies. Back then goalies didn’t have a ‘system’ so much what they were good at — and saves largely depended on getting lucky and a mix of anticipation and pure reflexes, not positioning or percentages and so on.

I could go on and on but the game is much faster than it used to be, but it occurs in more stops and starts (thus why top speed hasn’t been a huge issue of training — its more about reaching that top speed faster) due to the massive improvement in defensive play and zone coverage.

138. Andropod says:

For those of us who lived back then, those were different times. People weren’t in such a hurry, nothing was as intense. Todays athletes have those genes but better nutrition, more intense training, and everything has more of an urgency nowadays. So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! :)

139. Bar_Qu says:

Thanks for recommendation on Frazier v Ali. I watched the Madison fight and it was excellent (I knew of it, but had never looked it up to watch).

Bar_Qu:

they were high drama, and for once (and it happened many times in the era) both men showed up and gave it everything.

141. denny33 says:

Gents-out of market help.

No sign of game on my centre ice package…..see it listed on oilers web page as sportsnet -EDM.

Main sportsnet showing NFL football. Sportsnet One-saying baseball…

Do lowly out of market guys get that channel?

142. Andropod says:

I’m in Etown, I found the channel on a no charge ppv channel. (Shaw ch 302)

143. bookje says:

Training has improved as has systems play, but there is no reason to believe that the innate talent is any different today than it was in 1980. Teams may be better at finding hidden talent, but the genetics are the same. So, if Gretzky were born in 1995, there is no reason to believe that he would not be one of the best players in the world. In each era, the best talents in the overall population rose to the top.

I do think the ‘not being able to skate’ comments about 4th liners are stupid. I was around then and I can tell you those 4th line guys were fantastic skaters. They dominated every league they played in and when you watched them, they were tremendously talented.

Someone above commented that players today can take a pass in their skates and kick it up to their stick. It’s not as though guys in the 1950s couldn’t do that.

I also think that the difference between now and 1980 is significant, but not as much as some people think. It’s not as the the 1985 Oilers would lose to a Major Junior team today, particularly with a few weeks of modern systems training. Probably the biggest adjustment (and most difficult to do successfully) would be with goalies.

144. bookje says:

Speaking of ‘old timey stories’, I was telling my 5 year old today about how hard we had it when we were kids. She couldn’t believe that our phones didn’t have screens and couldn’t leave the house. When I told her about only having 1-2 hours of cartoons a week she gasped in horror.

Anyway, life was hard back then. We didn’t walk 6 miles through the snow to school, but it was still tough times.

145. Romulus Apotheosis says:

supernova: Romulus Apotheosis,

1) cost of production for a quality broadcast
    2) availability of good production crews
    3) travel

But the light at the end of the tunnel i am told is this;

as for the AHL i am told they simply dont think the demand is there.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I don’t know much about this.. but here are my thoughts:

If the AHL offers a game center like package…. that means that all of their games are being broadcast somewhere with a local crew of commentators, cameradudes, etc. So, all that is in place already. The only thing one would need would be to acquire the rights to broadcast the feed.

The same (as far as I know) is true of most Jr. games. In London, knights games were on tv all the time IIRC… hell even the shitty baseball team, the London Majors had their games on tv on the local PBS station.

I could be wrong… but it seems to me the hold up isn’t technical or a matter of personnel… but a matter of protecting broadcasting rights and exploiting more lucrative options (poker reruns, etc.)

146. Andropod says:

Here’s my concern with Dubs that I hope does not explain his high % save along with letting in soft goals. I’m concerned that he may lack the athleticism to adjust to the new pads and paddle. We’ll see tonight.

147. B S says:

Bag of Pucks:

Lucinius,

I’m actually enjoying this topic, but I can stop if everyone else is sick of it. I will concede to B of P that he has a point with broadcast quality that I hadn’t considered, but I will stand by my assertion that fitness and technology has made the game a lot faster. Perhaps it is best to frame it in terms of whether we are talking about Average speed, sustained maximum speed, or critical maximum speed (or even acceleration from a standstill, or a set velocity). Outliers are outliers because they are exceptional. Your fastest players may see little improvement between eras (there will be some, and I will address the “fastest skater” competition in a moment). I think most of us agree that the average speed among players has increased significantly over time, with many more players approaching the top speeds. Orr is a good skater, but it’s important to remember that we have all these great skaters now because they are emulating what he did.

I would caution using the “fastest skater” stats for concerns with variable conditions. the ice and the altitude is different each year, and overall sample size is quite small considering these factors, plus the time keeping is rather suspect (which could probably favour either side of the argument). It is also worth pointing out that the skills competition in the NHL usually doesn’t include the best at each skill.

I also want to defend myself on one thing, I do appreciate what these players accomplished in the past. I make a genuine effort to find and watch old games, since I wasn’t around (hence why your criticism of perception bias is relevant above). I honestly think Terry Sawchuck was the greatest goaltender of all time, Brodeur and Roy be damned. I think that because of the way he controlled the game Orr could still be the best defenseman in the league if he was born again and playing now, and without him we wouldn’t have offensive defensemen, no Coffey, no Karlsson, no Subban, no Schultz. My favourite player of all time (for sentimental reasons; also, possibly Nuge’s as well) is Maurice Richard, simply because he had that look in his eyes that told you losing wasn’t even a consideration.

I’m sure Ali has the same look, he’d toy with Tyson a bit, then take him down in the 5th round, it would look close, but it would never actually be close.

148. VanOil says:

denny33,

Center Ice Channel 1113 in my market. Tune into a next game showing Center Ice channel and the scroll banner will give you directions.

149. theres oil in virginia says:

bookje: I remember sitting at the TV every Sunday night at 5:59 just hoping that the Disney show would be a cartoon (or at least Escape to Witch mountain). Goofy Sports was the best!

Oh man, I remember those days. Now everything I ever watched on television is available somewhere on the internet.

I’m looking forward to the game. Oilers are at home, they have a couple of really nice lines with veterans on the wings and Nuge centering the 1line, plus Gordon and Yak on the 3line. The defense is sometimes wayward, but that’s true of pretty much every NHL team.

Goal should rebound to the norm, and the Oilers should be good in the Corsi’s. Luck she owes us but she never pays on time.

151. Oiler_in_Mexico says:

Orale, 150+ comments and the game has not yet started. clap-clap-clap

152. jake70 says:

denny33:
    Gents-out of market help.

Main sportsnet showing NFL football. Sportsnet One-saying baseball…

Do lowly out of market guys get that channel?

Center ice (free preview) is on black out out east. TSN Montreal Canadiens has game on ….may have to be in the east to get it though.

Nice start by the Oil, Nuge draws the penalty early early early.

154. B S says:

Oh lord Nuge, don’t land on that shoulder, face-plant or something instead please

155. SK Oiler Fan says:

hall has to move that quicker

156. Lucinius says:

Well, that powerplay was disjointed.

157. Bar_Qu says:

Shaw 326 is workingShaw

158. denny33 says:

jake70,

Thanks….

This is crazy…..

159. VanOil says:

Shoooot any one in orange and blue.

Both PP’s have been poor and now the 3 and 4 lines have been sitting forever. Dubnyk looks good, the SN feed is awful.

161. jake70 says:

1 shot on 2 PPs?

162. Lucinius says:

Oilers look like they’re fighting the puck early and having a number of positional issues. Hope they settle that down.

163. jp says:

Real uninspiring so far. Jesus Smyth.

164. jp says:

Smid want’s back in the top 4.

165. tcho says:

Can’t seem to find the game on Bell TV. Any Bell subscribers out there? Something I’m missing…?

Habs PP WAY better than Edmonton’s early. The Oilers are sleepy AGAIN!!! Lordy.

Nice play on the PK by Hemsky. The lazy prick.

168. BlacqueJacque says:

That’s what I’m talking about! Crush a defenceman, fight a player more skilled than you, take him off the ice for 5 minutes. Attaboy Gasdick!

169. Lucinius says:

Do like Gazdic. Sure, he’s not a skill guy but he hits, can skate a bit and can fight.

170. B S says:

Well that satiated my bloodlust for a period.

Gazdic with a win in the fight department. I’m not sure if the Oilers were getting a charging penalty there, but someone appeared to leave their feet.

172. hunter1909 says:

Gadzik lol

173. VanOil says:

Cycling through one of RNH, Hemsky and Eberle on the PK seems a reasonable distribution of skill and work load.

174. thejonrmcleod says:

I’m having no luck finding this game. Anyone have a good online stream?

175. jp says:

You don’t have to like the role, but Gazdic doing a good job at it so far.

176. striatic says:

BlacqueJacque:
    That’s what I’m talking about!Crush a defenceman, fight a player more skilled than you, take him off the ice for 5 minutes.Attaboy Gasdick!

If you’re going to be fighting, that’s just about the most advantageous way to do so.

177. denny33 says:

Forced to watch RDS french feed>>>>

178. striatic says:

thejonrmcleod:
    I’m having no luck finding this game. Anyone have a good online stream?

179. thejonrmcleod says:

striatic,

Thanks.

180. D says:

Did the Oilers forget to practice their special teams?

181. Scotty LaDouche says:

1437 on Bell

Yakupov can’t make that dangerous solo move like that, very dangerous.

183. ashley says:

Yeti: Most sports teams absolutely disagree with you, as do most professional athletes. They spend large amounts and money on time on nutrition for good reason. The comparison with heart attacks is completely spurious. Top athletes know that proper nutrition on a day-to-day basis is essential to compete at a level where very small margins are the difference between success and failure.

Oh, I’m well aware. I work with pro athletes and I know the nutrition information they get fed. It’s bogus. The evidence for what they do is weak to nonexistent. It lies in the category of “It can’t hurt, and it might help” which is fair enough. It’s importance is vastly overemphasized.

Top athletes “know” about proper nutrition only because they hire nutritionists who overstate the importance of nutrition. It’s called job preservation.

184. ashley says:

hunter1909: Prove it.

Tell you what, since this all started with folks who think there is great science behind nutrition and sports performance, why don’t you, first, prove it to me?

Show me yours and I’ll show you mine.

185. tcho says:

Scotty LaDouche,

Can’t find 1437, Scotty. Weird. Internet feeds are awfully choppy too. Man. Only reason I got cable was to watch the Oilers, really. Frustrating.

186. denny33 says:

Wow – Ference and Scultz…..

187. BlacqueJacque says:

Petry playing awesome, Hemsky and Perron look like life partners who’ve been looking for each other all their lives.

188. Andropod says:

Is Yak gripping the stick too tight?

ashley: Oh, I’m well aware.I work with pro athletes and I know the nutrition information they get fed.It’s bogus.The evidence for what they do is weak to nonexistent.It lies in the category of “It can’t hurt, and it might help” which is fair enough.It’s importance is vastly overemphasized.

Top athletes “know” about proper nutrition only because they hire nutritionists who overstate the importance of nutrition.It’s called job preservation.

Have you listened to Jeff Krushell’s show? He’s all over this stuff, and he’s told me it’s alarming (depending on team and situation). Lots of education gaps, I’d suggest.

190. BlacqueJacque says:

Eh? What’s Krush over? Nutritionists exaggerating, or athletes who aren’t eating properly?

191. Andropod says:

Eberle’s invisible

192. denny33 says:

Still on hold with MTS….How can this game be blacked out on the centre ice package?

25 minutes. on hold….not sure cust rep is coming back……

193. thejonrmcleod says:

The Oilers shouldn’t play Montreal unless it’s on HNIC. Otherwise, it’s impossible to find a way to watch it unless you have RDS.

Edit: I finally gave up (online streams too choppy) and switched to radio.

194. Lucinius says:

Man, on the face off there it totally looked like Perron was wearing a thong under those pants. Scary.

195. Andropod says:

thejonrmcleod,

I don’t have RDS, I am watching free PPV on Shaw 302. SN feed.

Newer Comments »