CANADIENS AT OILERS, G4, 13-14

The Oilers get the Canadiens tonight, a club that shares some history with the town team. Who can forget the brilliant youngster Moog, and his out of this world goaltending over 30 years ago?

Azorcan3

The two teams are miles from 1981 these days, Montreal hasn’t won Stanley in 20 years and Edmonton won their last three years before the Habs’ 1993 win. In modern terms, these are elite level post-expansion clubs, as reflected in the pennant totals:

1. Montreal (11): ’68, ’69, ’71, ’73, ’76-’79, ’86, ’89, ’93
  2. Boston (9): ’70, ’72, ’74, ’77, ’78, ’88, ’90, ’11, ’13
  3. Philadelphia (8): ’74, ’75, ’76, ’80, ’85, ’87, ’97, ’10
  4. Edmonton (7): ’83, ’84, ’85, ’87, ’88, ’90, ’06
  5. Detroit (6): ’95, ’97, ’98, ’02, ’08, ’09
  6. Chicago (5): ’71, ’73, ’92, ’10, ’13
  7. New Jersey (5): ’95, ’00, ’01, ’03, ’12
  8. New York Islanders (5): ’80, ’81, ’82, ’83, ’84
  9. Dallas (4): ’81, ’91, ’99, ’00
  10. Pittsburgh (4): ’91, ’92, ’08, ’09

No sir, the Habs are no ‘pretend dynasty’ like the left coast bunch, they actually ruled the world in the post-expansion era with Lafleurs and Shutts and Lemaires and Lapointes and Savards and Robinsons and Drydens. Just as the Oilers have their icons (99, Kurri, Messier, Anderson, Coffey, Fuhr, Lowe, Tikkanen, etc) Montreal has their heroes too, and just as the current Oilers dream of a better day so do these Canadiens.

They are closer to the goal, but both teams are miles and miles away.

Genevieve Bujold In 'The King Of Hearts'

LINES, PAIRINGS AND GOALIE

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Arcobello-Perron-Hemsky
  • Gordon-Smyth-Yakupov
  • Acton-Gazdic-Brown
  • Ference-J Schultz
  • Belov-Petry
  • Smid-N Schultz
  • Dubnyk

I’m as surprised as you are, but there’s no denying Smid’s been moved down the depth chart since the 2nd period of the NJ game. I’d guess it is a short term item, but there appears to be a lot of emphasis placed on moving the puck by coach Eakins, and Belov is a very nice passer. It’s also interesting to see the move of Gordon to Smyth-Yakupov, suspect the coach loves the Yak spirit but wants a stronger rhythm section to contrast the rollicking solo’s.

Dubnyk draws back in, that’s the right play.

Not much to say about the Habs, they have wonderful players (Plekanec, Eller, Pacioetty, Subban, Price) but some guys don’t seem to be delivering (Desharnais, Briere) and the blueline is strong in some areas and a little off in others. Price remains a quality goaltender.

gb1

There appears to be much worry over the Calgary Flames and their start, but that’s not really a worry that  holds water. Edmonton beat Calgary in standings a year ago (24th, Flames one behind) and if they can’t do that again then the Oilers seriously need to have coaching and management vacate the premises and allow Daryl Katz to bring in a new group. I count fewer than 10 “actual NHL players” on that team and they have three young men who are going to be outstanding. If the Hall Oilers can’t beat that, then stop all the clocks.

Credit to the Flames, though. I watched some of last night’s game and they are working hard every shift and give no quarter. I have a great deal of respect for that hockey club this morning.

I think it’s very informative to follow the Oilers in-game Corsi, because this team hasn’t really put their feet on the ground and pushed back for 60 minutes yet–and yet they are basically 50% Corsi. Bruce McCurdy mentioned the other day that the 50% mark for Edmonton is probably putting the team in a positive position due to superior finishing skills. Good point, and if they can gain some consistency the next phase of the schedule might be a delight.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

GB2

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• David Staples from Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk about tonight’s game, a little Habs-Oilers history and the arena.
  • Ed Valentine, Big Blue View. I don’t remember an 0-5 Giants team, and I remember Joe Pisarcik. We’ll talk to Ed about it.
  • Guy Flaming from the Pipeline Show.  We’ll talk Moroz, Khaira, Betker (all played at Rexall last night) and Dillon Simpson.
  • Lester Wiltfong, Windy City Gridiron. The Marc Trestman era started 3-0, now 3-2. We’ll find out why.

Calls and tweets welcome (@Lowetide_ on twitter) and text to 10-1260.

gb6

•  Dallas Eakins: “The thing I like about Nuge is that he’s a bobblehead. I ask him to do something and he nods his head. And not only does he nod his head but he goes out and does it.”

I think the truth is that RNH is one of those guys who knows the game well enough to understand it on a higher level. I’d suggest the Nuge is less “bobblehead” and more “intellectual contemporary” but as long as it works.

455 Responses to "CANADIENS AT OILERS, G4, 13-14"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »

BlacqueJacque:

Eh?What’s Krush over?Nutritionists exaggerating, or athletes who aren’t eating properly?

The show is about nutrition, and Jeff (who has worked with various teams and athletes) talks at length about the subject and wide range of knowledge.

2. denny33 says:

Peter Budai?

3. thejonrmcleod says:

Andropod,

I’m in NS and have Eastlink cable. Not sure if that option is available.

4. jake70 says:

More or less a low event period, not necessarily a bad thing.

5. Gerta Rauss says:

Channel 352 on Shaw on the west coast.

Center Ice has a free preview until Oct 15-I can’t understand why ANY game would be unavailable.

Eberle over 8 minutes.

7. Gerta Rauss says:

I thought it was a good period for both teams-lots of skating and chances at both ends. Big period for Dubnyk- he just needs to hit a couple of fairways and have a couple of putts drop and he’ll settle in.

8. VanOil says:

The least spastic period of Oilers hockey for the year. More shots would be nice. Mr Nuge might cover his new contract before he even starts earning it. I would like to keep Arcobello in the line up when Gagner returns.

9. hunter1909 says:

Oiler’s look like they’re listening to the coach.

Hall+RNH are both playing tighter, like they’re thinking the game on a higher level.

The defence isn’t playing Fire Station style, like it usually does.

Overall the team looks to be thinking defense, unlike Tambellini etc eras.

Lars Eller looks like James Hetfield.

10. jake70 says:

Nuge has some noticeable giddyup in his game. Good to see.

11. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss: Big period for Dubnyk-

I almost forgot to mention Dubnyk.

Every time he gets a shot I die a little. How many years ago was this stiff drafted? Dubnyk looks like an alkie on Halloween out there.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

BrazilianOil:
    MSP HS again…

I don’t see St Louis playing tonight but maybe I’m missing something. I think the 3 game winning streak has a little to do with the roster decisions-Magnus may sit for a while yet.

13. B S says:

I can’t comment on what Athletes are being told regarding nutrition. Plenty of the nutritional information out there is b.s. holistic and organic foods being the obvious culprits, but what you eat and drink before and after a workout has a major effect on your recovery, muscle building. Ask Theo Peckham whether nutrition matters.

Corsi events 5×5 13-11 through 1

Hemsky 75% Corsi that period, Hall 62 and Belov 85!!!

15. RMGS says:

That’s a disappointing period from the Oilers. They’re playing a team that had a tough game last night and still managed to be outshot handily.

16. hunter1909 says:

I wouldn’t recommend worrying about any specific player’s production until at least 30 days after the start of the season.

New coach.

17. thejonrmcleod says:

Gerta Rauss,

The game is blacked out for me on Centre Ice and Gamecenter Live. I’ve given up. Listening to the radio broadcast.

18. Andropod says:

hunter1909,

19. hunter1909 says:

B S: Plenty of the nutritional information out there is b.s. holistic and organic foods being the obvious culprits

I’ll bite.

Perron reminds me of Ken Hodge, the old Bruin. Upright skating style, he’s a bigger guy too. Has more balls though.

21. hunter1909 says:

Andropod: I don’t think he’s that bad but I also can never relax with Dubs in net like I could with Rollie the Goalie

Dubnyk was never much, but with the new size equipment he looks just terrible.

Hell, I’m missing Khabibulin.

22. wheatnoil says:

Corsi events 5×5 13-11 through 1

Hemsky 75% Corsi that period, Hall 62 and Belov 85!!!

23. BlacqueJacque says:

Leafs win another, 4-0 against the Preds. Outshot 36-26, Bernier with the shutout.

Oh shut up, Spector. I wish TSN bought Sportsnet West just so you wouldn’t be on the air any more.

24. Ribs says:

Searched way up to 453 for the game here in GP on Eastlink. Looks like they’re doing a free preview of a SSP (Super Sports Package).

Oilers throwing some weight around this game. The kids getting stronger, or Habs just puny humans?

Ribs:

little of both.

26. jp says:

Thank you Mark Spectre. Gazdic good. Yakupov bad.

wheatnoil: That link says the 5×5 Corsi is 15-15 after 1 period, right? Or am I reading this wrong?

Ack! Changed after I posted. Sorry. It was 13-11 Habs

jp:
    Thank you Mark Spectre. Gazdic good. Yakupov bad.

That was a terrible move by Yakupov though.

29. jp says:

Smyth is already +4. On offsides.

Edit: and the goal!

30. Scotty LaDouche says:

Ryan Smyth scores while napping

31. BlacqueJacque says:

That might be the most Smytty goal ever.

Smyth (Hall, J Schultz)

33. wheatnoil says:

BlacqueJacque:
    That might be the most Smytty goal ever.

I’d agree but I think someone says that about every Smytty goal! Heh.

I’m sorry, Nuge with the 2nd assist

35. Scotty LaDouche says:

Smyth (Hall, J Schultz)

Was Nuge with the silky smooth 2nd assist.

36. VanOil says:

Extraskater is just awesome. The most Smytty goal ever.

37. B S says:

hunter1909: I’ll bite.

Ha, nice. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/organic-food-healthier-stanford-researchers-nutrition-organic-meats-produce-dairy-better-article-1.1151470

Basically there has never been substantial evidence that “holistic” solutions work beyond a placebo effect, and actual evidence that organic is no more nutritional (nor more environmentally friendly). Of course none of this looks into other possible concerns like hormones or antibiotics.

HOW does Schultz get those pucks through?

39. Bar_Qu says:

Nice little sequence there

Centre Ice and GameCenter blackout out of market Canadian games if your local team is playing. The Jets and Leafs both played tonight, so I would expect the Oilers are blacked out in Manitoba and Ontario, though probably not on RDS.

That is why I don’t buy those damn packages. I have 10 hours of Mobile TV on my phone in a package, and then there is some rate after that which I haven’t tested (they say $1 per hour, or $3 per hour depending on when you bought the package)…if the OIlers are any good this year, I expect I will find out). It isn’t blacked out in Toronto on my phone package. Plus, I can always go to Real Sports.

I’ve decided to go cableless again.

41. striatic says:

Habs maybe a little tired tonight? I’m surprised that shot was all the Galchenyuk could come up with on that rush.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I hate this N Schultz and Smid pairing. hate it.

43. Yeti says:

B S: actual evidence that organic is no more nutritional (nor more environmentally friendly)

The report seems suspect given that no sensible person ever claimed that organic food was more nutritious. The argument for eating organic is to avoid the ingestion of chemicals from pesticides (which that report says is true) and because they don’t pollute the environment with runoffs from synthetic inputs such as fertilizers. Surely that’s what it should be judged on?

44. danny says:

The first 5-10 games of every season Taylor Hall seems like a ham handed, ham headed, klutz.

Habs PP has been very good so far tonight, this could be a big moment.

46. Bar_Qu says:

LT jinxed it.

47. jp says:

Lowetide: That was a terrible move by Yakupov though.

This is true. And Gazdic has been surprisingly useful.

Corsi events 5×5 13-11 through 1

Hemsky 75% Corsi that period, Hall 62 and Belov 85!!!

Belov-Petry. This is more for a different look than a Smid demotion I think. It’s looked good for both pairings I think so far. If Belov can make Smid redundant though that’s a good thing for the Oilers overall.

And damn – game tied.

48. hunter1909 says:

That goal was 100% on Ference.

Stupid Chickenhawk.

49. hunter1909 says:

TO THE DOLTS WHO TALK ABOUT TRADING YAKS:

Yakupov will be a great Oiler and attract Russians to the Oilers. This is called ‘the Detroit model’.

The stupidity of trading Yakupov is off the scale.

Edmonton has Russian weather. It’s one thing that Russians won’t be bothered about, lol.

50. BlacqueJacque says:

Smid centres and nobody is there.

Nobody is there, and Smid centres.

Right there. That play right there, from both points of view, is exactly WTF is wrong with this team.

51. McSorely Head says:

One of the biggest factors making today’s game faster is the shorter shifts. Remember how Wayne or Mario would double shift all throughout a game? They’d be on for 2 minutes at a time, other players would easily be on ice for 1.5 minutes. The old timey guys could skate when they needed to, but much of the time they were conserving energy.

That being said, any of us could walk on ice in our socks faster than Brad Marsh skated.

52. jp says:

Haha. That Smid foray looked more promising than most, but ended as usual, except for losing the glove. That’s new. And he usually protects the puck in the corner rather than throwing it in front.

53. BlacqueJacque says:

I hate this team.

54. Bar_Qu says:

Comedy of errors there

55. Andropod says:

Chickenhawk’s pissed

some poor play there on the 2-1 Montreal goal. Puck should have been long gone and there was no coverage at all.

57. lance says:

for the real nutritional skinny, its called “Healing with Whole Foods”, available everywhere.

Key is to mix below ground vegetables with above ground vegetables. Cabbage and onions, carrots and celery, kale and potatoes, not carbs + proteins. I don’t make this up. Just the real story.

Its going to take the NHL 20 more years to figure this out however, listening to players talk about their pre game meals (chicken and pasta) replaced steak sandwiches and they call it progress. Bought and sold out by the Nutritional Education Coalition aka the meat dairy and egg producers associations.

LT I’m sad you hate iphones. I had to leave the game to type this. I waiting until the habs scored tho. Seemed important enough.

58. fuzzy muppet says:

And Ryan Smyth is too slow to the play…2-1

59. remlap says:

I think there’s a reason Eakins has been down on Yakupov. Kid looks lazy out there.

60. BlacqueJacque says:

remlap:

Out of place, not paying attention, and as you say, lazy.

61. Andropod says:

What if Yak got us a stud D?

62. BlacqueJacque says:

This is it. This, right here, is the season when the fanbase starts wondering aloud whether or not this core can win anything, ever.

63. hunter1909 says:

Montreal and the Oilers remind me of Ali v Frazier.

Montreal has some nice players.

Oilers won’t be up to speed until November.

Yakupov isn’t lazy, he’s learning. Last week, Taylor Hall–older, mind–was learning. You don’t have to call them kids, but they are. Yakupov’s 20. You’ll love him again soon.

65. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

remlap,

Not just lazy, out of sync.

66. Rocknrolla says:

I know immolate to the party here. Watching on delay, so also reading the blog on delay lol. Tricky as not to read too far ahead and blow the surprise of the live game!

Also having some problems today on iPad and hitting the quote button for the tech dept. crashes the browser.

Anyways I saw the question about feeds and where to stream and thought I would share this again. I can’t remember who initially shared it, as it looked complicated at first but I tried it and it is UNREAL!

It’s basically a trick on how to stream NHL Game Center games in full HD over the web FOR FREE.

Super easy and it works, not sure for how long but for those who are Travelling it’s awesome. Just need a boot Internet connection, but you can also pick the lower def streams for slower connections.

Anyways all instructions are he’s and you can be up and running in about 2 mins. (Ps just reposting I don’t get anything from this trick as you will see)

67. justDOit says:

thejonrmcleod,

I used a plug in called stealthy all last season to watch Oiler games – works best with Firefox. Just the free version is fine.

In the preferences, you pick a country that you know doesn’t have hockey broadcast to it (Turkey was a good one), but don’t enable the plug in until after you’ve logged into Gamecenter. Start a stream from another game, whether it’s a live one, or a game from a previous night. Then enable the plugin and wait a while. Then click on the link to the Oiler game and wait until you see the spinning sign that the stream is loading, and disable stealthy.

It doesn’t always work the first time, and there was one night there where it wouldn’t work properly – but it is free. You can also sign up for their pay version, but I’ve never tried that.

68. remlap says:

He can go to 100 like very few rookies I’ve ever seen, but he drops down to 0 far too often.

69. hunter1909 says:

Losing winnable games at home before killer road trips is so Oilers.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yak and Smyth didn’t get the “swarm” message on the 2nd goal. Ference and J. Schultz have to clear the net and help DD out a little.

71. RMGS says:

Love him to death, but he has to learn to play without the puck. And, is there a way to ban “how about we trade Yak” posts?

remlap: It’s one thing to be out of position because he’s not sure of the system. It’s another to only skate half his shift. I’ve seen him twice now just standing there not moving his feet.

Remlap, you’re going to drive yourself crazy with this, and there’s no need. Yakupov has been coached up heavily recently, so he’s seeing what’s on the ice and then deploying. That’s how it works. When he knows it by rote, everyone will settle down. Seriously. He’s been told NOT to run around like a chicken with his head cut off.

This all happened in 1979, 1980 and 1981 too. Kids learn on the job, especially when they just turned 20.

73. jake70 says:

No trailer available for Arco there….ugggh.

74. Racki says:

Still think the Oilers need that blueliner that can settle things down and control the tempo…. but unlike some others, I wouldn’t give up Yak or Eberle to get him. Probably wouldn’t be possible to happen anytime soon , however. Just wishful thinking.

P.S. Gazdic… yesssss.

75. hunter1909 says:

I can’t wait until they trade away his useless ass: as an example of Kevin Lowe’s six cup rings being relevant to this Edmonton Oiler’s hockey team.

Hit the net one time, Nick Schultz.

77. Racki says:

Nick Schultz.. missed it by thaaat much.

78. B S says:

Yeti,

Actually, the majority of hippy vegan, vancouver wannabees I’ve had to listen to always talk about how much better for you organic food is. Re: pesticides, antibiotics, and pollution. Well the pollution line of thought never made sense to begin with (a larger farm should actually be more efficient for the same amount of crop), and that report talks about work at oxford showing it probably isn’t true. GMO crops are sprayed with specially designed chemicals that are much more effective than the pesticides used on non-GMO crops, resulting in less pesticides, and are supposed to (I’ve never come across convincing studies one way or the other) be more focused on the pests, with less environmental impact. It’s pretty much impossible for food to reach the marketplace without some chemicals or antibiotics being used on them (standards for food safety pretty much require it, unless you can manage to raise food entirely in isolation).

79. wheatnoil says:

Does Budaj have Ned Flanders on the side of his mask?

80. GordM says:

Re: Schultz…what does that announcer in Major League say….Juuuuust a bit outside.

81. thejonrmcleod says:

justDOit,

Thanks. I’ll try that next time.

82. striatic says:

wheatnoil:
    Does Budaj have Ned Flanders on the side of his mask?

83. Bar_Qu says:

wheatnoil:
    Does Budaj have Ned Flanders on the side of his mask?

Indeedly-do

(Despite Striatic beating me to it, I couldn’t resist)

84. fuzzy muppet says:

Is Gordon hurt?? I haven’t heard his name…i missed the first period

Absolutely loving Perron.

86. BlacqueJacque says:

I like how Subban was trying to cross-check Perron’s head into the boards.

87. wheatnoil says:

striatic: yes.

That’s… pretty awesome.

88. danny says:

Both teams seem a little sluggish

89. RMGS says:

Lowetide: Kids learn on the job

Well, he learned on the bench for the rest of the period.

90. Racki says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Is Gordon hurt?? I haven’t heard his name…i missed the first period

Seen him quite a bit actually.. not hurt.

91. Gerta Rauss says:

OK, I saw Arcobello good that period.

92. BlacqueJacque says:

sigh… this kind of effort and result against a team on the road, second game in two nights, coming off a stinging loss.

Normally it takes me 3/4 of the season to want to throw away any association with this sad-sack franchise.

93. wheatnoil says:

RNH and Hall over 16 minutes through two periods.

94. hunter1909 says:

B S: hippy vegan, vancouver wannabees

With respect, that’s an absurdly small and irrelevant sample size of opinion.

Assholes who live in paradise situations should keep their opinions to themselves.

LOWETIDE: I’m giving the team 20 games to sort themselves out with Eakins. How many games do you think it will take them to figure it out?

95. remlap says:

I guess I need SOMEONE to channel my frustrations toward. Does every game need a goat?

96. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss:
    OK, I saw Arcobello good that period.

Me too.

Then I started being happy that Horcoff’s finally been run out of town.

97. RMGS says:

Gerta Rauss:
    OK, I saw Arcobello good that period.

He’s centering the team’s best line tonight by far – with Hemsky and Perron.

RMGS: Well, he learned on the bench for the rest of the period.

That’s part of it, right? This is nothing new. Yakupov is an outstanding young player, you have to be patient.

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That 3rd line is really struggling. But it’s good to see that 2 line hopping and bopping. The Hemsky correction is well on its way!

If Smyth doesn’t score that goal, I think he may have bought himself another HS.

If everyone stays healthy… when Gagner and Joensuu come back, that 3rd line will look a lot better.

100. hunter1909 says:

remlap: Does every game need a goat?

Devan ‘Billy Goat’ Dubnyk:

Drafted in the 1st round (2004) – Oilers have wasted a decade on this stiff. He’s already got the team behind the 8 ball going into the third period.

Oilers 35-30 after 2 periods, this team is miles better than last season.

102. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: when Gagner and Joensuu come back

Gagner you could make a killing on: Just bet he’s going to miss games at the start of every season.

103. Racki says:

Not worried about Yakupov. Can definitely see that he’s trying to do it all himself when he has the puck.. needs to use his teammates even if one of them is geriatric and the other is less known for his offense (although surprisingly good complementary player). Still caught watching the play in the D-zone, but I don’t see this all as a major problem. He’s young, and very teachable, an intelligent kid who listens… he’ll get it together. I think he’s trying to fight out of his mini-slump the wrong way right now.

104. justDOit says:

Avs shut out the Bruins. Yikes. It ain’t getting any easier in the west, is it?

Oilers looked pretty damn good the last time they played a third period, Eberle past 17 minutes with Hall Nuge and Perron close. Going to need oxygen at the bench this period!

106. wheatnoil says:

Nice lead pass by N. Schultz

First 2.5 minutes of the third a nice little sequence for the Oilers, nothing earth shattering but they’re certainly getting the puck into the Montreal zone and making plays. The last 30 seconds or so some push back from the Habs.

108. Racki says:

FOurth line out against Galchenyuk.. yikes.

109. wheatnoil says:

That 4th line better never leave the bench for the rest of this game.

110. fuzzy muppet says:

No more 4th line tonight, thanks…

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That shift right there is why no one is scared, or kept honest or whatever, by shitty fourth line facepunchers.

112. B S says:

hunter1909,

Yeah, but it’s the only demographic I’ve come across that gives a crap about organic foods.

That should be it for the 4line tonight, crazy bizarro 60s heroin moments there.

114. Yeti says:

B S,

BS, all I’ll say is that its funny that Stanford report got the press it did, when similar studies made in the very same year using similar data yet with different parameters showed quite different results. Anyone can google to see the problems in the Stanford methodology. All methodologies, of course, have their issues. But the press that report received says more about the desire to report a particular line than it does about the definitiveness of the report’s findings. In fact, many aspects of the report were actually very positive about organic food, but they weren’t reported. Most notably, the Stanford paper clearly demonstrated that Yakupov should eat more organic food so he can shed some of his inherent laziness. That finding was indeed definitive.

115. BlacqueJacque says:

Will Acton skillfully defuses any dangerous chances Taylor Hall may have generated if he’d had the puck.

I’m liking Belov’s play tonight, big mobile and plays defense.

117. Racki says:

This game needs more Perron/Hemmer

118. B S says:

Yeti,

Where did you find the paper? I can’t get a hold of it.

119. Racki says:

I’m liking Belov’s play tonight, big mobile and plays defense.

Some smart pinches tonight

120. GordM says:

Will Acton on the rush passing to Hall looked a lot like “Pass it to Will” re: Fresh Prince of Bel Air

121. Racki says:

Nice d-play by Smytty there.. someone has to give the ol’ dog credit.

122. hunter1909 says:

‘Hall – to Acton – to Hall – to Acton’… Doesn’t sound like a goal is coming does it?

123. B S says:

Yeti,

I think it’s more a matter of Yak doesn’t eat organic foods because he’s lazy and doesn’t want to get groceries ever few days.

124. danny says:

Petry circa 2013-2014. The guy is making a tonne of small mistakes all over the ice.

125. hunter1909 says:

This game is starting to feel like waiting for a bus in the rain.

126. B S says:

Racki,

Great defensive play, but then he lobs it up ice missing Yak. Also, I know it’s been beaten to death, but watching yak and Smyth together really emphasizes how slow Smyth is moving. Breaks my heart.

127. TheGreatMutato says:

I sometimes get the sneaky suspicion that I’m watching a fairly decent hockey team. A little luck please!

This is pretty exciting! Unlike last year and the year before the Oilers are actually doing something! Down 2-1 but there’s excitement in every shift! Who thinks they’ll tie it up and go to OT? Anyone? MacFly? MACFLY?

129. B S says:

That’s probably the closest size match Gionta is going to find on the ice tonight.

130. Racki says:

B S:
    Racki,

That whole play generated a chance though.

131. hunter1909 says:

I miss their Ralph Krueger swagger.

Last year they’d have made 3x the scoring chances.

132. lance says:

Nice to see a winger finally able to keep up with a Taylor Hall rush.

Was that Hopkins in the middle?

133. wheatnoil says:

TheGreatMutato:
    I sometimes get the sneaky suspicion that I’m watching a fairly decent hockey team.A little luck please!

I know… it’s weird. I’m watching the Oilers losing, which I’m pretty used to. Yet… I feel like they’re not actually playing too poorly. Montreal is a good team.

134. danny says:

The first game the season that EDM are losing the faceoff battle, not coincidentally the first game theyre losing the corsi battle.

I wont be too excited about the team improvement based on corsi just yet.

135. B S says:

Racki,

Absolutely. Smyth worked the puck loose along the boards too. I love Smyth, just hurts to see him a step off where he used to be.

136. Racki says:

137. Racki says:

B S:
    Racki,

Yah, no argument there. If only we could have Smytty circa-2000 here.

138. pboy says:

This is the best hockey Hemmer has played in 3 or 4 seasons. RNH’s shoulder must really be healthy because he has thrown more hits tonight than he has in his first 2 seasons in the Bigs.

Fuck.

139. Racki says:

Wrong guys you want on a 2-on-1 there… and the Nuge with a rare mistake

140. BlacqueJacque says:

Racki: The problem is, it seems like for every big chance the Oilers generate, the Habs generate one or two. Edge of their seats at Rexall, no doubt..

Just like that goal.

Game over.

141. fuzzy muppet says:

That’s a terrible play by NUge. Horrible…

142. Scotty LaDouche says:

Nuge looked tired there

143. wheatnoil says:

Son of a bitch.

144. danny says:

young teams have to work like dogs for turnovers and scoring chances… while surrendering them quite haphazardly in the process… its a process … but its hard to fkn sugarcoat

145. hunter1909 says:

Good night.

A little bit of bad luck there, Nuge had the puck and lost it heading the other way. Ference with the pinch and that’s all she wrote. Down 3-1 to the Habs, I don’t think they can make it back. Of course, I sad that about the NJ game, too.

147. BlacqueJacque says:

We have a group of talented individuals surrounded by mostly untalented individuals. Nowhere is there a team.

148. crude says:

weak

149. Racki says:

Jesus Christ Eller

150. fuzzy muppet says:

Thats gotta be 5…terrible hit

151. striatic says:

ashley: Oh, I’m well aware. I work with pro athletes and I know the nutrition information they get fed. It’s bogus. The evidence for what they do is weak to nonexistent.

isn’t the evidence for what they do the fact that their nutrition leads to them being obviously incredible athletes?

surely there should be at least one organically powered super-athlete tearing up the league with their obviously superior metabolism, right?

152. fuzzy muppet says:

Horrible call/ That’s a major and game misconduct

153. crude says:

Hall taking a serious licking tonight.

154. B S says:

Fucking bastard Eller. Take his # Hall. God bless Yak, he jumped all over that ….

155. BlacqueJacque says:

I wouldn’t mind Gadzic taking an instigator on Eller’s face.

156. Racki says:

BlacqueJacque,

Here, just watch this video and pretend it just happened instead so our scorers can be on the ice:

157. OilBuzz says:

Disgusting hit on Hall, should have been a 5.

158. danny says:

I like Eller but that was a stupid hit and an even more stupid decision by the ref.

I like this empty net business.

160. wheatnoil says:

Belov’s got a nice shot… what do they feed those Russians over there?

161. Racki says:

Goalie pulled.. while I do like how Eakins goes all out in a game, I’m suspecting this won’t work, given Montreal has been pushing the offense.

162. B S says:

I don’t, 2 minutes is plenty of time to score a goal, then an empty net to try for the other. go down by 3 here and we’re pretty much sunk.

163. striatic says:

Eakins in it to win it.

164. Racki says:

Hemsky noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

165. striatic says:

One good thing about empty net is that it encourages the other team to generate icing calls, unlike having the man advantage on the power play.

166. fuzzy muppet says:

Eberle hasn’t been impressive this season

167. Bulging Twine says:

Holy crap Hall!!
    Was that 4 or 5 turnovers on one shift?!

168. fuzzy muppet says:

And Eberle gives it away,,,

169. Gerta Rauss says:

Well that was fun.

170. BlacqueJacque says:

Blow it up. Rebuild.

sigh

In two years that’s what we’ll be saying.

171. Logan91 says:

Probably one of the most frustrating teams to watch these Oilers are.

172. TheGreatMutato says:

Well, they limited the Habs to only one shot in the last 5 minutes…

173. Racki says:

Well that was a thrilling final 4 minutes. Too bad. Oilers really need to stop letting teams run the game in their own building. Some good takeaways tonight, but definitely some bad too. Like I said before, for every good Oilers chance, it seemed like the Habs had their own, plus some.

174. B S says:

Hopefully they learned not to piss around for the entire second period. I don’t want to see them play like that again.

175. D says:

The inability of this team to score with a man advantage is the reason they lost the game. Especially the first two PP’s in the first period, but also the four + minutes of empty net play at the end of the third.

176. striatic says:

The problem with pulling the goal that early is that your own guys can’t change. That looked like a 4 minute shift for RNH.

They needed to get the goalie to freeze it more than anything.

177. GordM says:

Garbage…how the hell does Kevin Lowe still have a job and draw a salary against these poor fans hunkering down good money to see this ‘rebuild’ take longer than it should be.

178. Bulging Twine says:

Doesn’t look like a TEAM.

179. wheatnoil says:

The Oilers didn’t actually play poorly that game. If they can play like that every game, they’re going to get some wins. A few breakdowns, sure, but this team isn’t far off.

180. Dominoiler says:

Anyone else want blood after Hall got taken out!..

Wanted Eller to pay.. still, the oilers were pretty entertaining holding the play for the last few minutes.. no dice today, tho..

181. "Steve Smith" says:

TheGreatMutato:
    Well, they limited the Habs to only one shot in the last 5 minutes…

How many did the Oilers manage?

Edit: Just looked it up. Two.

Well, most of you won’t see this I expect, but I’m onboard all the way with this team. They’ve got crack and holes but holy hell there’s hockey players on this team and Eakins is my kind of guy. They’re 1-3 now, and they might come back from the trip 3-7 but I like where this is heading.

Needed this one to make things easier, though. However, that’s not the Oiler way.

183. danny says:

According to NHL.com, Oilers giveaways…. 19… Habs giveaways 4

184. Racki says:

striatic:

They needed to get the goalie to freeze it more than anything.

1:49, according to the shift report. Pretty long shift still, but you always have that extra boost of energy when offense.

Truth be told, I said above that pulling the goalie that early against a team that was playing so well worried me… but in my opinion, it worked. Did they score? Nope, but they controlled the game for nearly the entire time that goalie was pulled. They only got scored on when the game was pretty much over anyways.Seems like a smart decision.

185. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Another 50-50 corsi night.

First two lines look like gold. Third and fourth… yikes!

EDIT: needs updating. not final corsi yet.

186. Lucinius says:

Wasn’t that bad of a game.. but the team looked more than a little disjointed. Hall with some progress in that his myriad of turn overs didn’t cost him a goal. Petry on the 2 on 1 has to take that pass away and he doesn’t made it 3-1 and all she wrote.

Disappointed in Hall, Eberle and Yakupov so far this year. They’ll get it together, but the dissonance at work is startling. Liked Smid’s game. Petry, Ference and the Schultz twins were up and down throughout. Belov needs to learn how to not have players block his shots.

Powerplay needs to learn how to work.

Dubnyk not at fault on any of the goals, imo, and that’s good.

187. fuzzy muppet says:

They’re making too many mistakes and still give the puck away too easily. They played O.K. But they have some guys that need to play much better (14, 4, 64)

And I know he got a goal but Ryan Smyth is too late to the play about 75% of the time.

188. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

This appears like an unhappy and uneasy group. Not sure it’s the losing, it seems prevalent at the drop of the puck. Top of that list of unhappy people appears to be Eberle. Perron, Hemsky and RNH bringing it, but the others need a jolt of something. No harmony.

189. "Steve Smith" says:

Lucinius: Dubnyk not at fault on any of the goals, imo, and that’s good.

I thought he could have had the fourth one – kind of a weak shot.

Eberle leads all Oilers skaters in icetime.
    1. Not sure he deserved it.
    2. That forwards keep leading the team in icetime is weird, right? Like, really weird?

190. russ99 says:

These goofy lines have got to stop. If you had told me 8 months ago that an extra skater line would contain Arcobello and Smyth, I’d think you’re crazy.

And what’s with all the 4th line icetime down one in the third?

I get what Eakins is doing, but it’s obviously not working. We’re not going to score with any frequency until our best 6 players are on the top 2 lines and they’re given adequate ice time.

How many more games are we willing to lose due to coaching philosophy?

191. Racki says:

I’m not sure why backups always own this team, but credit to Budaj.. stood tall. He’s done quite well vs. the Oil in his career though.

Some of you guys are way overreacting. Oilers should have played better in this one for sure, but it wasn’t a terrible game. I’m surprised how well the Habs played. Damn that “EGG” line of theirs is quite skilled too.

192. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I was watching the french broadcast. did the SN guys give an explanation for why Eller didn’t get 5? or were they just frothing at the mouth?

193. wheatnoil says:

This team is going to be pretty damn good once Joensuu and Gagner are back in.

194. Lucinius says:

wheatnoil,

Maybe. Depends in Gagner plays in the defensive zone this year.

195. Racki says:

russ99:

How many more games are we willing to lose due to coaching philosophy?

I love the 4th line, but they shouldn’t see the ice in that period, no. But losing on coaching philosophy? Far from it. That was a mistake, yes, but this is also the same guy that rode the crap out of his top six guys in the comeback win vs. NJ. Eakins did the same again tonight, but a little later this time around.

196. wheatnoil says:

Eberle leads the team in icetime with 26:27, RNH and Hall close behind (25:44, 25:07). J. Schultz leads the D (25:25). Yakupov with only 13:21! I think he was benched in the second after the 2-1 goal. I saw him on the ice plenty in the third.

197. Gerta Rauss says:

I like that we can put 3 lines on the ice and there is skill on every line. For the longest time it was Hemsky, and the rest of the forwards would hack the puck into little bits.

They’ll get it together, no need to panic just yet.

198. fuzzy muppet says:

If the Rangers start to panic, Does Eberle get you McDonaugh? Does Yakupov??

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »