CAPITALS AT OILERS G11, 13-14

Edmonton and Washington have chosen #1 overall in the draft three times each since 1974. Edmonton’s selections were better. Honest.

Azorcan3

The Caps picks (Greg Joly, Rick Green, Alex Ovechkin) boast the great 8 and two defenders who never did deliver on their promise. The Oilers three (Hall, Nuge, Yakupov) are not Ovechkin level talents, but if the Oilers are patient they’re going to have a murderer’s row that no Capitals team could ever manage (and the Washington Capitals have had some stunning offensive talents).

WINGMEN

sw1

The Oilers had a nice group of wingers not long ago, but losing Taylor Hall, Ryan Smyth and Jesse Joensuu in a short period means coach Dallas Eakins is going to have some work to do. He cobbled together an interesting group for the Montreal game, let’s review the lines from G10:

1. Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle: Nuge-Eberle have always played well together, it’s going to take some time for Yakupov to feel comfortable. He’s so damn talented that once he catches fire this should be fun. Oilers don’t have a lot of options if this goes south, though.
  2. Arcobello-Perron-Hemsky: I like this line plenty, thought they did some really good things the other night. When everyone gets healthy, the emergence of Arcobello is going to create a nice problem.
  3. Gordon-Jones-Pitlick: I have no idea how much credit to give anyone but Gordon, so he gets a lot of it. Severe zone starts, skated miles, does a lot of things well. I also liked Pitlick’s game, hope he can add some offense to it.
  4. Acton-Eager-Gazdic: Acton’s a bigger body, Gazdic is certainly a capable Droid, Eager didn’t accomplish much and I’m not sure he’s going to be around a long time.

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED

sw2

Oilers keep showing up in trade rumors, it’s usually a tough winger with skill or a top 4 defenseman. I’m not certain about the blueline, seems to me Petry is making another step forward this season and if Laddy can settle in (and he’s been better, suspect there was an injury early) that’s a solid pairing. Belov-J Schultz looks good to my eye, that big Russian is a nice addition; after that, Ference provides the leadership Eakins wants, Nick Schultz is not able to keep up and Denis Grebeshkov has played about 5 minutes all season.

I think we’ll probably start hearing rumblings about Oscar Klefbom being close to ready at some point after Christmas, and the club will make room at the deadline (depending on where they are in the standings).

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

sw3

10 this morning on TSN 1260, we’ll set the scene for the Capitals-Oilers. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Reynolds from Copper and Blue. We’ll talk about the end of the road trip, wingmen and the blue. Plus tonight’s game.
  • Rob Parker from Japer’s Rink.  Rob will give us the inside scoop on the Caps powerplay, Ovechkin and the brilliant Backstrom.
  • Alan Hull from Copper and Blue. We’ll talk Boyd Gordon and his tremendous play, plus Perron, Eberle and more.
  • James Dator, Catch Scratch Reader.  James will help us make sense of the Thursday nighter.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on the twitter. Hope you can tune in!

378 Responses to "CAPITALS AT OILERS G11, 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Jon K says:

Greatest. Blog. Ever.

(Was watching Star Wars last night, by coincidence.)

Re: Klefbom, I’ve heard on the various radio shows that he’s apparently improving steadily every game but nothing more specific. Is there an Oklahoma blue update on the way soon, LT? Just curious.

2. leadfarmer says:

Poor Gordon. Skating uphill the whole game with no help. This sounds vaguely familiar.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I would prefer the lines like this:

RNH-Yak-Eberle
    Arco-Omark-Perron
    Gordon-Pitlick-Hemsky
    Acton-Jones-Eager

I think that 4th line has enough “jam” or whathaveyou to satisfy the meat cleavers. Wash. isn’t an especially “tough” team anyhow.

And, the Gordon line replicates the old Gordon-Smyth-Hemsky relatively well. I think adding Hemsky there and keeping Jones on the 4th makes both lines more competitive. The Arco line would need a lot of sheltering, but I think given a push up the river with zone starts that line can score.

———-
    “Ference provides the leadership Eakins wants”

I keep reading the fact that you don’t mention his “on-ice” qualities as a euphemism.

———-
    Last night BM gave an update on the WJC players with a foot in the NHL door. For you WJC junkies:

Rom: I haven’t been overly impressed with Ference as a defender. Loved him as a Bruin, finding it hard to see him good here.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jon K,

Willis at the Journal has been providing game recaps from the Barons. Last night’s isn’t up yet.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

leadfarmer:
    Poor Gordon.Skating uphill the whole game with no help.This sounds vaguely familiar.

When his scoring drops to historic levels… how long until the honeymoon ends?

This kind of player is never properly appreciated. Ironically, for all the talk of “hardnose the highway” and love of “grit” over skill in the MSM and fanbase at large, players with these qualities that actually are also good at hockey (Horcoff, Hemsky come to Oiler mind) never catch fire for long in the hockey imagination.

We’re all seeing the same thing. He’s a decent passer and fairly mobile… but it often looks like he’s the one who needs his partner to lace the boots up and it was supposed to be the other way around.

And, I just like the way your “sunny disposition” shines up everything… makes you have to read carefully.

7. TartanArmy says:

Eager’s got to go. His time with the Oilers has been a waste, problem is…who would want him via trade? Probably stuck with him till his contract expires. I’d rather see Omark draw in as another offensive option that Eager in the lineup, but I also get that if he did come in he’d be playing a 3rd line role which would he’s proven he’s no good at. Poor guy. it was never meant to be in Edmonton.

8. leadfarmer says:

Players paired up with either Schultz tend to look bad. Players paired with Smid tend to look good. Ferrence is a second pairing defenseman and he is paid like it which is not bad for free agent acquisition.

9. 8p0intgame says:

Not to be a troll, but does anyone else have this awful feeling that Grabovski is going to light the Oilers up like a Christmas tree tonight because Oilers?

10. justDOit says:

Don’t know if it was the 14 hour drive to Winterpeg, or the bad hotel sleep, but I awoke today agreeing with Mike Milbury. Scary

Keep it rolling from the last 40 minutes in Monteal boys!

11. stephen sheps says:

jeebus. When mad mike get’s it right, something else is seriously wrong

12. Nuckout says:

I honestly think that Ference does a lot of things right, but very quietly. He’s barely noticeable out there some games, which can be a good thing, but not when all you notice are the mistakes. He’s a vet and I do believe he will pull it together. I will give him this, he battles hard, and will always stand up for his team, no matter what. The oil haven’t had that for a very, very, very long time.

13. Jon K says:

I think Ference has come pretty much as expected when the blogosphere took a look at his metrics. He does the little things that coaches like and competes hard, but he doesn’t have the size or skill to fare well against anyone but lower competition. I think there is reason to believe that he might be the team goat a la thecaptainethanmoreau by the end of his contract.

14. stephen sheps says:

I’m kind of inclined to agree about Ference. As I said (albeit poorly) when I tried to do a live report from Ottawa, Ference looks a lot better on the ice than on TV. He’s usually in the right spot, plays with an edge and when he blows his coverage, he hustles back to try and fix it. He’s not the best defender by any means, but in the Jason Smith/Steve Staios role that he’s playing, he’s doing just fine. Because he’s quietly efficient, it’s true his mistakes are more glaring. He’s not a flashy player to begin with, never was, and we shouldn’t expect him to be, but he’s consistent and that’s a quality we ought to value, even when the numbers don’t quite add up.

As to the idea that he’ll be the goat, thecaptain(stupid)ethanmoreau took so many brutal penalties and threw so many of his own under the bus, it was hard to take him seriously by the end of his tenure. Ference likely won’t blame others when he screws up and certainly doesn’t strike me as someone who is that bad at media relations.

15. Alexander Ovechkin says:

Lars Eller was wrong, Oiler players do not play like a junior team, they play like a bunch of little sissy girls.

16. Bar_Qu says:

Alexander Ovechkin:

We need to get this up on twitter. ;-)

17. DeadmanWaking says:

I just want to tip my hat to Staples, Willis, and Bruce over at Cult-4 for their nomination as E&P’s sports blog of the year. I hadn’t picked up the tidbit that Bruce was an astronomer. A goalie turned astronomer explains his inside track on the “seeing” business. I’ve long wondered whether Bruce had formal training in journalism at some point in his past, or whether he just settled into the form osmotically.

I came across a remark not long ago that the capacity of a writer to “lend his eyes” is one of the greatest writing gifts. It was pretty much an exact echo of the remark I’ve made here on several occasions about what makes Bruce’s writing special. Can’t hunt it down now. It was probably buried in one of the fifty tools from Roy Peter Clark.

I’ve also lost the scent this morning on another remark I registered recently about the art of writing: that sports writing, done well, is one of the most difficult forms. This could also have been Clark, or it could have been one of the glowing accolades for Dave Zirin.

When I’m lonely, when I’m sad,
    I simply remember the phrase
    “Spruce Bruce, is that you?”
    And then I don’t feel so bad.

Sports writing is one of the first forms that have been given over to our robot overlords–just in case there’s anyone out there who finds it easier to read the tabular box score after it’s been put through the spaghetti machine, and dressed in a clunky Putinesca of gambler’s fallacy.

They’ve got a loooong ways to go yet before anyone scoops Bruce’s eyeball out of a cryogenic vat.

Bruce and crew, FTW!

18. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Ben is not the droid you’re looking for.

19. Jon K says:

stephen sheps,

To be clear, I meant more in the sense that he’ll be an overpaid captain well into decline as a result of age. I agree that he’s unlikely to have the more dubious qualities of Moreau near the end.

20. stephen sheps says:

Jon K,

check. makes sense. The contract + age thing is definitely a valid concern.

I really liked Moreau when he was still known as Chopper. Once he became captain stupid…

21. stephen sheps says:

DeadmanWaking,

Dave Zirin is pretty much the best sports writer ever. well played, sir.

and I second on the congrats to Bruce, JW et al over there. Nice to see them getting well deserved recognition.

22. delooper says:

Ovechkin! What a jerk!

23. bookje says:

delooper:
    Ovechkin!What a jerk!

No doubt, I sure hope the Oilers don’t see that, it might anger some of them.

24. spoiler says:

Is that Clark Gillies standing next to Han Solo in the Wing Men picture?

25. Jordan says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴:
    Ben is not the droid you’re looking for.

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ you fool! You’re driving down prices!

Ben is the droid you’re looking for. He really is! Look at how big he is! He skates well and hits like a Mack Truck. He’s exactly what you need on your team.

Hey Ray Shero! You need a big strong winger to protect Sidney now that he’s hale again. Only two 3rds.

Today only!

Otherwise we’ll trade him to Boston!

26. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer:

Players paired up with either Schultz tend to look bad.Players paired with Smid tend to look good.Ferrence is a second pairing defenseman and he is paid like it which is not bad for free agent acquisition.

Part b i agree with.
    The schultz’s NO.

A. ference 163 min 6GF 6GA
    W/ J. Schultz 63 min 2GF 3GA
    W/ Petry 16 min 0GF 2GA
    W/ N. Schult 71 min 2GF 1GA
    W/ the rest 13 min 0GF 0GA

Heck justin chultz is only -4 @ even.
    all but 7 of his 163 min is -2
    that 7 with smid he is -2.
    But -4 on the PP

If we can get him to claw back the cheat decisions. through extensive video sessions or more AHL time.
    He will be a hell of a good defence man.

Right now he is still a -30 dman.

our best pairs by results.
    Smid-N. schultz
    Belov-Petry
    Ference-J. schultz

27. G Money says:

stephen sheps:

Quoted for truth. Or perhaps excellence. Something like that.

28. denny33 says:

leadfarmer,

Refuse to believe LInus Omark is a worse fill-in that Ryan Jones and Pitlick.

As a fan of hockey – please never put Ryan Jones on the Powerplay ( Montreal game ) ….

Agreed Linus did not have a good TC and deserved to be sent down – but if you play him alongside Boyd Gordon – he could have some room to deliver on offence.

29. Hammers says:

Any word on Marichin & Fedun . About now I would like to see one of them get a game or two especially if no “D” trade is coming . As for Ference what you see is what you get . A steady guy who needs a stud . I would play him with Belov giving the Schultz boys 3rd pair minutes + Pp for Justin .

30. denny33 says:

Could not agree more….

Re: Ference

The alleged strength of his game the – physical component – not seen by me.

Even against smaller players – Ference can rarely imposes his way. In fact, I rarely see him re-gain possession of the puck.

Don’t really know what his game is….

The only thing I can give him credit is – his feet don’t look as slow as I thought they might…but that is stretching…

31. hags9k says:

Gazdic, Macintyre, Eager…Sand People
    Penner…Jabba
    Katz…Batman

32. Colonel Obvious says:

denny33:
    leadfarmer,

Refuse to believe LInus Omark is a worse fill-in that Ryan Jones and Pitlick.

All of this is correct. If anyone disagrees go watch the highlights from Omark’s four point game.

Then ask yourself, “can Ryan Jones do that?”

Then ask yourself, “if Ryan Jones isn’t doing that, does he make terrible turn overs that lead to goals?”

Then ask yourself, “what exactly does Ryan Jones do that is so great that makes up for his inability to be awesome (i.e. Omark) combine with his very real ability to be terrible (Brendan Gallagher says hi)?

And if all of this is true about Ryan Jones it is doubly true about Ben Eager.

33. denny33 says:

DeadmanWaking,

Great post….big fan of that blog and Bruce.

leadfarmer:

A second pairing defensemen with a 4-year contract and a full NMC. i.e. lots of non-monetary icing on that salary for a second pairing defensemen. Tambellini got Smid for 4 years on a similar salary with no icing on the cake. Tambellini, for all his sins, left MacT with only Hall, Eberle, and Smid on team friendly long term contracts, after the contract and salary albatross Lowe-MacT left him.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

denny33:
    leadfarmer,

Refuse to believe LInus Omark is a worse fill-in that Ryan Jones and Pitlick.

I’m all in on this Omark talk. Better players = better team.

On the make up with the PP, though, I’m going to offer a limited defence of Eakins’ decision re: Jones.

A glaring problem with the offence (PP or otherwise) is net-front presence (there are others like zone entries obviously). On the PP especially you need a guy to just plant himself in front of the net, block the goalie and try to shovel the garbage. The old Smyth role. Now, that guy doesn’t need great hands and needs to be biggish and willing to take a cross-check or two.

The best guys on the team for this are probably Joensuu, Smyth and Gordon. Both Smyth and Gordon, however, are getting PK time and Joensuu and Smyth are currently injured.

In this context I don’t really have a problem with Jones on the PP. As long as his job is clearly defined and he limits himself to that role.

36. Jordan says:

I have the solution to your question to Alan Hull at 11:15 am.

RNH – Hall – Eberle
    Arco – Perron – Hemsky
    Gags – Smyth/Joensuu – Yakupov
    Gordon – Smyth/Joensuu/Gazdic – Acton

Scoring depth with a few options on the 4th line. And the extra C for when the next injury hits.

37. Bos8 says:

Jeebus, Omark.

How many knee-hi’s are allowed on one team. Isn’t there some sort of rule? I think the OIlers are over their quota.

38. G Money says:

hags9k: KLowe…JarJarBinks

Quoted for truthiness and excellence.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hags9k: Eakins…Leia

This one is the most puzzling. His wife maybe?

Who’s the prettiest Oiler?

Klefbom or Gernat my bets.

hags9k: Gazdic, Macintyre, Eager…Sand People

This is your most “stay on target” call.

Just wanted to add my congrats to the ones above re: Bruce and COH. I would add he’s a gentleman too, making his success all the better.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: A second pairing defensemen with a 4-year contract and a full NMC.i.e. lots of non-monetary icing on that salary for a second pairing defensemen.Tambellini got Smid for 4 years on a similar salary with no icing on the cake.Tambellini, for all his sins, left MacT with only Hall, Eberle, and Smid on team friendly long term contracts, after the contract and salary albatross Lowe-MacT left him.

You’ve gone from defending RK to Tambo?

I eagerly await your treatise on Quinn’s brilliance.

42. FPB94 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

To RK’s defense the team did improve overall, his PP was effective and he didn’t impelment the most moronic SH scheme ever seen. (Cue to Dallas)

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Tonight Brown will probably get his first spin as a Shark. I will be interested to see how he’s used and how long it takes for signs of buyer’s remorse to set in.

44. spoiler says:

denny33: leadfarmer,

Refuse to believe LInus Omark is a worse fill-in that Ryan Jones and Pitlick.

Yeah, Omark with 75%-100% defensive zone starts… That’s something I want to see. Uh huh.

The fanboi love for Linus is entering Schrempeterian gale territory.

Jones is on the PP to go stand in front of the net, where, generally, he is useful, and where, generally, Omark would not be. The problems arise when someone passes Jones the puck to carry through the neutral zone and create zone entries. That’s not his role.

Because of his size, Omark is not an easy trade… no other team has ever shown any desire for him. I’d rather Jones and Eager play in the hopes they can be dealt for picks when teams run into depth injury trouble and are willing to toss us a 4th.

45. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The old Smyth role. Now, that guy doesn’t need great hands and needs to be biggish and willing to take a cross-check or two.

100% disagree on the “hands” comment. Maybe not Crosby great, but they need to be very good. Like Smyth’s. Like Jones’ in tight. Tipping pucks, deflections, is a real skill, as is roofing the puck in tight, batting the puck out of the air, etc.

46. Colonel Obvious says:

Tambellini has to be in contention for the worst GM in history. In case you have all forgotten, during his tenure he didn’t add a single, useful, NHL player. His plan was to simply wait for #1 picks to magically transform into superstars.

That’s a terrible plan, and in many ways the rebuild only really started when MacTavish was hired.

So year one into this rebuild, we’ve added Gordon and Belov that definitely help. Even if Ference is only filler we are way ahead of years past. Unfortunately, that is damning with faint praise. MacTavish needs hit after hit to make up for years of neglect.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FPB94:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

The special teams were much more effective last year, however, the PK was riding an unseasonably high 4x5sv% that will not be repeated:

good for 5th in the league (89.56)! and yet 25th in the league in shots allowed per 60 4×5! (52.7)… that’s more goaltending luck than systems.

This year (so far) the sv% has dipped substantially to 23rd in the league (83.33… more than 6 full points!!), while the shots allowed has tanked into the gutter (65.1)

Last year our PP shot the lights out (16.86%) good for 2nd in the league. But they were 29th in the league in generating shots for per 60 (41.5).

This year our PP is shooting terribly, 24th in the league (7.84), but generating way more shots on net (56.1) for 13th in the league.

TO summarize. Last year’s PK was much better at limiting shots (I suspect the use of unproven PKers has more to do with this than ‘systems’), while not being good vs the NHL (25th best) but also benefited from an unworldly sv%.

Last year’s PP rode percentages all the way. This year’s PP is much better at generating shots.

I don’t think either iteration (RK or Eakins) was/is very good. RK rode percentages, Eakins doesn’t have that luck so far and the results of his tactics don’t seem to be helping him.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“quoted” not “edited”

49. Colonel Obvious says:

The comparisons between Omark and Schremp are facile. Schremp has never scored like Omark at any level they both played.

He never scored a pt/game in the AHL, not even close really. Omark is a pt/game player.
    He was a bust in the KHL. Omark was good.
    Schremp scored 41 pts in 55 games in Sweden. Again, Omark as a pt/game player as a 21 year old no less.

Omark is a much better offensive player than Schremp. Always has been. Nothing about the Rob Schremp experience is instructive in evaluating Omark. It’s lazy thinking.

50. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You’re going to have to support the claim that RK improved the team overall. There is no evidence of this that I’m aware of, unless you are merely alluding to standings… a marginal improvement at best that most likely would have regressed over the course of a full season.

I think the summary is actually that there *is* evidence of a decline in the team.

Basically, the Oilers were worse last year compared to the previous year in almost every meaningful measure.

The one area that they improved on was the standings, and this was exclusively due to solid (better) goaltending, especially on the PK. If Khabi had played the percentage of games as the previous year, or we’d faced a full season allowing the PK sv% to regress to normal levels, the Oilers would have been in 29th or 30th. Again.

On the flip side – this is one of the reasons I have distinctly not felt any panic this year, and why I am not on the “blame the swarm” bandwagon. In almost every measure (other than PK SA), the team is better than last year, and the horrendous record can be attributed almost exclusively to a horrible (and unsustainably bad) sv %.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: 100% disagree on the “hands” comment. Maybe not Crosby great, but they need to be very good. Like Smyth’s. Like Jones’ in tight.Tipping pucks, deflections, is a real skill, as is roofing the puck in tight, batting the puck out of the air, etc.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Colonel Obvious: Tambellini has to be in contention for the worst GM in history. In case you have all forgotten, during his tenure he didn’t add a single, useful, NHL player.

Just because Oiler arcana is our collective pleasure: I’d go to bat for Sutton as a useful NHL player with a special mention that Potter proved a cheap, useful tweener*

*the rush to lock them both into extensions aside.

53. Ice Sage says:

A long time ago… in a Northlands far away…

Tonight we see if this team is for real.

Eller = Salacious Crumb

54. namflashback says:

Horcoff – that poor TaunTaun that Han rides into the snowstorm on Hoth looking for Luke. (ends up dead, eviscerated, with Han sleeping inside for warmth.

hags9k:
    Pronger…Darth
    Lauren P…Emperor
    Gagner, Omark, Rajala…Jawas
    Gazdic, Macintyre, Eager…Sand People
    Penner…Jabba
    Katz…Batman

Romulus Apotheosis: You’ve gone from defending RK to Tambo?

Tambellini, FOR ALL OF HIS SINS, left MacT with only Hall, Eberle, and Smid on team friendly long term contracts,

Hey, at least I’m not reading comprehension challenged!

No individual is all good or all bad. It is important to identify what people do or have done well, and what people do or have done poorly.

Eakins, for example, IMHO, reads what is happening on the ice well. But I think he is a systems coach. I think he will have problems with outlier players, who don’t easily fit into his systems. i.e. I think he is a coach who wants to fit players into his systems, more than he is a coach who wants to build and adapt systems to suit the available talent strengths and weaknesses and stages of development. I think one can see this in his decision-making. There is nothing inherently good or bad with that. He is what he is.

He will make a poor decision (putting Hall at centre) because he HAS to see it on the ice, rather than know by looking at the individual’s strengths and weaknesses, and know that it will be a bad/poor decision.

Both Krueger and Nelson had a similar opportunity to play Hall at centre, and decided not to do it. Both had a need, but didn’t actually have to try it and see it fail, because they are not purely systems coaches. It is why Yakupov had a more slow but steady progression mainly forwards under Krueger, because he didn’t have to try things where Yak was clearly going to fail.

i.e. With Nelson and with Krueger, there is more parallel development of systems and players. They are both more willing to play less than their ideal systems, because it facilitates player development.

In the 2nd year in OKC, because of injuries in Edmonton and OKC, Nelson Bryan Helmer and a plethora of ECHL guys thrown together that he had to work with for much of the season, and he still got it to the playoffs because he had to work with what he had and adapt. Last year, he had to rebuild and mold almost an entire team at mid-season. To do this quickly, as Nelson did both years, one has to make quick assessments of what players are able to and not able to do well, and figure out a system that will work.

56. striker says:

Ditto congrats to Bruce and JW and the CoH crew. Also awesome mention of Zirin by DMW above, great sportswriter

57. FPB94 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t think number of shots matters as much on the powerplay as EV.

MTL

13-14: N6 (15 in shots/60)
    12-13: N5 (18 in Shots/60)
    12-11: N28 (17 in shots/60)
    11-10 : N13 (8 in shots/60)
    10-09: N24 (3 in shots/60)
    09-08: N13 (10 in shots/60)
    08-07: N1 (4 in shots/60)

To me shots/60 on the PP seem to be, randomly at best related with PP%.

58. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Not sure how you can disagree with 100% and then go on to basically repeat what I said.A net front guy (take your pick: Smyth, Holmstom) doesn’t need “great hands.” Does he need “some hands” in order to tip and shovel pucks in tight? obviously. But no one would confuse this role with the kind of puck handling and shooting skills we generally associate with “great hands.”

LOL!

That’s why I included Crosby in there. I knew when I disagreed, you would create a high bar for “great” and revert to including everyone beneath that bar, when really what you were inferring and how that phrase is normally used, is “not very good hands”.

When people say “he’s not a great leader” they don’t normally mean he’s a very good leader. But. I’m used to your semantical escape routes, so it doesnt bother me when you pull this BS.

So… I still disagree. Nor did Homstrom or Smytty have “some hands”. (Whatever that means. Nice ambiguous choice of semantics again.) Disagree there too. They both have/had very good hands.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10:
    Hey, at least I’m not reading comprehension challenged!

I think your understanding of reading comprehension is very sketchy.

Colonel Obvious:
    Tambellini has to be in contention for the worst GM in history.In case you have all forgotten, during his tenure he didn’t add a single, useful, NHL player. His plan was to simply wait for #1 picks to magically transform into superstars.

Justin Schultz, Mark Arcobello, maybe Taylor Fedun.

Potter and Fistric were probably serviceable #6 type D.

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: LOL!

So… I still disagree. Nor did Homstrom or Smytty have “some hands”. (Whatever that means. Nice ambiguous choice of semantics again.) Disagree there too.They both have/had very good hands.

This is all very curious. I’ll leave you to it.

62. G Money says:

godot10: It is why Yakupov had a more slow but steady progression mainly forwards under Krueger, because he didn’t have to try things where Yak was clearly going to fail.

But to blame that on Eakins system while canonizing RK? Nonsense.

63. rich says:

godot10: Justin Schultz, Mark Arcobello, maybe Taylor Fedun.Potter and Fistric were probably serviceable #6 type D.

Fedun may be a player one day, but a bottom pairing d-man is nothing to take into your next interview as a success story.

Potter came because of Renney – not because of Tambellini.

Fistric is no longer here.

Acrobello, how much of that was because of some of the guys really pressing on the recommendation (as was posted yesterday).

Please, let’s stop trying to defend the indefensible. Tambellini – or better, I like Woodguy’s name for him – Jackassallini was in over his head as a GM.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FPB94:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t think number of shots matters as much on the powerplay as EV.

MTL

13-14: N6 (15 in shots/60)
    12-13: N5 (18 in Shots/60)
    12-11: N28 (17 in shots/60)
    11-10 : N13 (8 in shots/60)
    10-09: N24 (3 in shots/60)
    09-08: N13 (10 in shots/60)
    08-07: N1 (4 in shots/60)

To me shots/60 on the PP seem to be, randomly at best related with PP%.

I agree special teams are more prone to “luck” because of sample size limitations. However, the research done into the matter all seems to suggest that, just like at EVs, generating shots is the most reliable way to score/succeed:

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

rich: Tambellini was not a part of the team making the final pitch to Schultz and should not get any credit for his signing (or certainly no more than the secretary who answers the phone).

Potter came because of Renney – not because of Tambellini.

Fistric is no longer here.

Please, let’s stop trying to defend the indefensible.Tambellini – or better, I like Woodguy’s name for him – Jackassallini was in over his head as a GM.

Just to further the debate: we need to try and disentangle scouting and managing.

Tambo gets praise/blame for signing players and putting them on a development path, not for finding and scouting them.

Potter wasn’t found by Tambo, but that isn’t his job. His job is to sign the right players at the right $$ and term and put them in places to succeed. Potter is a clear success as a reasonable 6-8 guy on a cheapish deal. Though, again, the early extension was both unnecessary and perhaps (given Potter’s subsequent injury and dip in play) foolhardy.

Schultz is a very unique situation in that he wasn’t really scouted by anyone, the deal was purely managerial and didn’t involve Tambo, which is a big tell.

Fedun was/is a success. Even if he is only a good-great AHL player with call-up/coffee cup potential. That is a success for both the player and team. A signing like this doesn’t have that high a bar.

Fistric was a moderate success. The context surrounding the player (Peckham situation, the amount paid, not being resigned, etc) all factor in… but he played fine as a bottom 6-8 D.

Acro is too weird a situation, but Tambo should get credit for his first extension.

66. Andropod says:

Colonel Obvious:
    I wonder how much shorter this rebuild would have been, if, instead of Diithers firing MacT, Lowe had fired Dithers and put MacT in that role – as he is now – to fix the problem of having a roster that as good a coach as MacT could do nothing more with.

We would have avoided the Quinn, Renney and Krueger sagas and gone directly to a Dallas – like coach, and perhaps we would be contending for Stanley this year after 2 good playoff runs?

And been spared all of the humiliation?

Potter came because of Renney – not because of Tambellini.

Fistric is no longer here.

If one is going to blame Tambellini for all the bad recommendations of Lowe’s professional scout buddies, one has to be willing to give him credit for having the right guys in the room pitching Schultz, and to give him credit for Olczyk finding Arcobello, and Nelson developing him.

It was Tambellini’s decision to give Arcobello a two-year NHL contract after about 30 ECHL games and 30 AHL games, a decision many in the OIler blogosphere criticized him for.

And my point was not that Tambellini was a good GM, just to refute the point that he added zero players, which is factually wrong.

68. SK Oiler Fan says:

He’s reminded me of a calmer Staios so far. I expected more as well

69. Gi JQE says:

FPB94:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I don’t think number of shots matters as much on the powerplay as EV.

MTL

13-14: N6 (15 in shots/60)
    12-13: N5 (18 in Shots/60)
    12-11: N28 (17 in shots/60)
    11-10 : N13 (8 in shots/60)
    10-09: N24 (3 in shots/60)
    09-08: N13 (10 in shots/60)
    08-07: N1 (4 in shots/60)

To me shots/60 on the PP seem to be, randomly at best related with PP%.

Agree with this.

Pp is about generating quality shots and it would appear that the correlation between pp% and nearly shots is not that strong. By stats or by eye. To deserves credit for the pp. It was sharp last year and used players to their strengths such as ebs for cross seam, yak one-timer, Shultz wrister. Eakins pp still looks broken.imho

70. russ99 says:

Don’t want to throw in to a pretty much moot argument, since right or wrong, there’s no way they’re calling up Omark to play a bottom six role.

But:

Omark behind the net and in the corners >>> Jones in front of the net.

71. spoiler says:

G Money: Nonsense. This is completely at odds with Yak’s actual deployment and development timeline. First off, Yak was played on his wrong wing most of the season – no different than Hall at C. The only difference is, Eakins was willing to change that up immediately, while RK didn’t.Yak also started the year brilliantly (5 goals in his first 8 games) – which given the short timeline for training camp, meant that most of Yaks good early results came *before* RK got his systems teeth into the team.Yak was invisible, lost, and struggling (just as he is now) for most of the middle of the season – 1 goal in 26 games, which included a stretch of 9 games and then 16 games without a goal. Yaks struggles seemed to mirror much of the team – once they started playing RKs systems more, they actually got worse with almost every game.I am not a latecomer to the “RK systems suck” bandwagon – I started asking the question about the systems mid-season, and based on the “Corsi cliff” the team went over, at that time even floated the idea that RK might be fired before Tambellini (though I was roundly jeered for the idea, as the hatred for Tambo by then was palpable).Yak then finished the season on a hot streak (10 goals in 14 games including a last game hattrick). Whether this was familiarity, or being back on RW, or finally getting comfortable with RKs system I don’t know.But the struggles we’re seeing from Yak so far this season are absolutely *no different* from what we saw last year. In fact, Yak could go another 7 games without a goal just to match his mid-season streak last year. I expect Yak will start to get the hang of it sooner than that. But to blame that on Eakins system while canonizing RK? Nonsense.

Nice post. And we’ve seen some improvements recently with regards to playing Eakins’ system… at least to my eye. The PK has been improving too. I think it is probably a little unfair to Big D to judge the efficacy of what he is trying to do till we pass the 20 game mark.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: If one is going to blame Tambellini for all the bad recommendations of Lowe’s professional scout buddies

Tambo could have fired Gare and Semenko, just like MacT can. But if we are heaping Lowe on the list of people with checkered pasts, I’m all in :)

godot10: one has to be willing to give him credit for having the right guys in the room pitching Schultz

I don’t know about the Schultz deal here… I haven’t heard this idea before. At any rate, it’s a weird defense of a GM: “I know I’m not the best man for my job, so I’ll delegate it to someone else.” That’s not something you typically credit someone for.

godot10: give him credit for Olczyk finding Arcobello, and Nelson developing him.

Have we established that Olczyk was responsible for Arco’s first AHL/ECHL deal? I hadn’t heard that.

At any rate, I’m fine with giving Tambo credit for signing Arco to his first NHL/AHL deal, though I think the criticisms at the time were more mild and on point than you suggest. Here’s some reminders:

73. Racki says:

A little bit of work to post with my cell.. But here is quote

Arcobello’s signing goes back to Ricky Olczyk, the Oilers assistant G.M. and director of hockey operations and legal affairs with some U.S. college scouting duties. He gets the credit for bringing Arcobello into the Oilers organization.

“From 2007 to 2010 I was heavy into scouting the U.S. colleges and every time I watched Arcobello play for Yale, he stood out. I must have seen him live a dozen times over his college career and taking note and backgrounding him. I felt he had the drive, determination and so many other qualities to deserve a chance to sign. There was just something special about him.”

74. Rebilled says:

Sirs, the possibility of successfully navigating through this asteroid belt of a season is approximately 3,720 to 1. Mos Eisley odds. Mostly due to the 1/8 of a season without ever seeing Gags/Nuge ever. Ever so far in a galaxy….

My version of LT’s lines.

Obi-Wan – IG-88 – L. Skywalker
    Wedge – Bossk – Lando
    Samuel L. Jackson – Jabba – Chewbacca
    C-3PO – Rancor – Sandperson

Hammerhead
    Sarlacc Pit

*combination day drunk/semi-retired Star Wars fan.

75. FPB94 says:

Rebilled,

I would trade IG-88 for HK-47. Need much more meatbags.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki,

Thanks! Great article by Jones.

I wish he’d stick to that kind of thing.

It’s nice to put a feather in Ricky O’s cap too. I’ve given that guy a pretty hard ride over the years and don’t intend to stop, but it’s great that he managed to provide the team some value.

77. stevezie says:

“The buck stops here” works both ways. It is cheating to deny Tambo credit for Schultz, Arcobello and Potter. You can throw Sutton in there if you like. There is no need to cheat to bury Tambo.

This spring a couple of us looked at the barren depth chart and cap situation and said that what this team needed wasn’t a trade or a good signing but some found money. Arcobello and Belov have been exactly that (even if I still think Arco is going to get packaged with Marincin for something else). By the time Tambo was done we had the depth of an expansion team, but Arco and Schultz were important steps toward restocking.

He also signed some nice contracts, Smid, Hemsky, Hall and maybe even Eberle afterall were all good to great contracts, and other than Khabibulin he kept his bad acquisitions either short or cheap (we’re coming closer to agreeing that Ben Eager sucks, right? Worse than Brown?)

Pretending the man did nothing well hurts his detractors more than it helps. Admit all the facts; there’s still enough of rope left to hang him twice.

78. Wolfie says:

Rebilled:

My version of LT’s lines.

Obi-Wan – IG-88 – L. Skywalker
    Wedge – Bossk – Lando
    Samuel L. Jackson – Jabba – Chewbacca
    C-3PO – Rancor – Sandperson

Hammerhead
    Sarlacc Pit

*combination day drunk/semi-retired Star Wars fan.

Can’t believe you left Bobba Fett out of your lineup.

79. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: This is all very curious. I’ll leave you to it.

No worries. There’s nothing left for me to do anyways.

80. stevezie says:

spoiler,

There has always been a strong desire by fans to paint Ryan Smyth as talentless. Reminds me of Prefontaine on himself. Well let me give you Donald Sutherland’s words,

“Vanity! insisting you have no talent is the ultimate vanity! No talent, no limits. lt’s all an act of will, right? l couldn’t do it. l got news for you! All the will in the world won’t get…a person in a million to run a 4:00 mile! That takes talent!”
    Donald Sutherland in “Without Limits”

Yes Smyth works like crazy, gladly absorbs a ton of punishment, and goes to the tough places without fear or reck. He also has hands. He made the Canadian Olympic team! He scored 39 goals! Almost 400 career! He had a decent shootout record, I think. “That takes talent!”

Has watching Ryan Jones not completely divested us of the idea that Smyth is nothing but cool hair and a scrappy attitude?

81. G Money says:

stevezie: He scored 39 goals!

But the year he scored 39 goals, I remember watching footage from a practice where all Smytty did for a good ten minutes was stand in front of the net and practice tipping shots. I think they showed ten shots and he maybe – maybe – missed one. It was phenomenal. I don’t know if that talent was god-given or just bloody hard work, probably both – but talent it was, with a capital T.

82. Henry says:

stevezie,

I agree with most everything you said regarding Tambi’s legacy. I’d add that Tambi didn’t tie the org up with NTCs which probably made the Oilers less competitive for free agents but certainly gives MacT more options. As much as I like MacT, giving Ference full payment for four years shouldn’t have come with an NTC.

A lot of teams, notably Philly, are going to have trouble getting out of dark times because a big bulk of their salary structure is tied up with NTCs.

83. stevezie says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴:
    Ben is not the droid you’re looking for.

No fuggin’ kidding. Well said.

Colonel Obvious,
    Jones works the corners and the front of the net and has a modicum of hands. I have this idea that he is a competent penalty killer. These qualities should allow him to be a seven minute 4th liner/PP/PK specialist on this team, at least while Smytty is hurt. Should.

84. wheatnoil says:

Wolfie: Can’t believe you left Bobba Fett out of your lineup.

Boba “Sideburns” Fett… must be that unsustainable shooting percentage!

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie: There has always been a strong desire by fans to paint Ryan Smyth as talentless.

I’m just going to strongly note I never said anything even remotely suggesting this (not that you accused me of it directly, it’s simply better to be on the record about these things, if there was any doubt).

This whole conversation is very curious and seems like people fighting over how trivial different banalities are.

86. Rebilled says:

FPB94,

I nerdily picked IG-88 because he looks dangerous and is a killer but we haven’t really seen it yet. I also never played that game but enjoyed 5mins of YouTube clips. Cheers.

Wolfie,

I drunkenly left the defence out of my line-up too. I also don’t see that character on this team or his uncles Ringo, Paul, George, or Cashgrab Fett.

87. alice13 says:

Rom, you missed it:

Eakins…Leia

This one is the most puzzling. His wife maybe?

Who’s the prettiest Oiler?

I thought Eakins/Leia was the most inspired of the bunch.
    It’s the glued-down hairdo, no?

88. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I missed one of your comments clarifying. Originally I (and I think Speeds? I don’t want speak for him) took “the old Smyth role. Now, that guy doesn’t need great hands and needs to be biggish and willing to take a cross-check or two” to mean that you didn’t think Smyth had great hands and gets by mostly on his willingness to take a cross-check.

I have often heard some clown in the stands (I hate Oiler fans) say something along the lines of, “Did you see that slapshot? That guy has no talent. Just pure hard work.”

As a really crappy hockey player who works his ass off every shift I’ve ever taken I really, really resent this.

89. 106 and 106 says:

Wolfie,

I love how it’s not his character name, but simply Samuel L. Jackson.

90. spoiler says:

G Money: The ‘no talent’ line is indeed bogus, though it is probably tied to his passing skills (mediocre at best) and his slapshot (the muffin to end all muffins).

Agreed on the Timmy’s slapper, but his passing skills are fine and often under-rated.

91. OilClog says:

I want jones on the Powerplay standing infront of the goalie trying to avoid yaks one timers.. I demand that only Ryan Jones does this, only he is acceptable to throw infront of a Yakupov slap shot.

92. Racki says:

stevezie:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Oil fans can be brutal. It’s typically the guys who have no clue what they are talking about that chirp our own the loudest. I put a guy in his place one time Re Horcoff. Told him to chirp the other team or shut up because it doesn’t help Horcoff to hear his own fans rag him nightly

93. stevezie says:

stevezie,

I said “Speeds” but meant “Spoiler”. Sorry.

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

If you read my comment as quoted, it should be clear that I’m not referring to Smyth’s talent level, but his “role.”

We are talking about some generic player who is parked in front of the net on the PP, in this particular case, Jones and why he’s fine in this limited role over say Omark, or an Omark type player.

What is the ideal player for him to epitomize? I said Smyth.

What are the basic attributes he needs to fill the role in a pinch, i.e., when optimal choices aren’t around (Like Smyth)? I said, he needs some hands, not great mind you, but enough; he needs to be biggish and he needs to not freak out about being hit, poked, pushed, etc.

All along I thought we were going to discuss the relative merit of “net front” presence on the PP vs. clearly more skilled players (Omark) who can’t fill that role… apparently everyone wants to dissect the intricate meaning of “hands” and whether Smyth is getting his due.

For my part, Smyth is great player, fantastic passer (I think G Money is wrong here), fantastic in front of the net, solid back checker and cycler, poor at carrying, dangling and shooting the puck.

And Eakins’ said it best: I think Smyth has a left and a right hand.

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

For reference, my favorite Smyth pass from recent memory:

96. Bank Shot says:

Andropod:
    Colonel Obvious:

And been spared all of the humiliation?

What makes you think MacT will be any better? Its still all the same guys in the management group.

Krueger got lampooned for finishing with the 29th ranked corsi last season. Eakins with a better roster is 25th and dropping….

I’m thinking coaching hasn’t been the major problem in the rebuild.

97. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think G Money is wrong here

Pfffft! I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken!

98. Bar_Qu says:

G Money: Pfffft!I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken!

You had better double-check that with your significant other. ;-)

99. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis: If this is somehow objectionable or newsworthy, sign me up for a different conversation.

100. denny33 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Refuse to believe LInus Omark is a worse fill-in that Ryan Jones and Pitlick.
    **********************************************
    I’m all in on this Omark talk. Better players = better team.

********************************************************

You know – If I am ever indicted I am going to be calling Rom.

That was a excellent defence of Eakins and with injuries and a lack of net presence ( my main issue with this team ) I can see the logic in that decision now.

How much for a retainer?

101. Colonel Obvious says:

You can’t give Tambo credit for Arcobello when last year, when the team needed a center, he willfully chose first Vandevelde and then Smithson instead of just calling up Arcobello like a sentient human being.

You can’t give Tambo credit for J. Schultz when every team in hockey wanted to sign J. Schultz. That’s like giving him credit for drafting first overall.

If you want to give him credit for the other guys, none of which are still on the team, go crazy.

102. Diesel says:

My random thoughts…

I didn’t follow the arguments specifically, but I will say that anyone who thinks Ryan Smyth doesn’t have great hands is crazy. Sure, they may have slowed to the point that they can’t quite keep up with his brain anymore, but he has displayed some remarkable ability with those mitts. (Especially considering the Messier-like cuffs)

Game-Day threads are pretty hilarious. The term “regression” is used a lot these days with the recent surge of fancy stats. When the Oilers have lost the previous game, game-day commenting slowly derails from topic and regresses to the negative things happening with the current team. Total misery. When the Oilers have won the previous game(s), commenting eventually regresses to the failures of past regimes. Theory: we are some sad, jaded, cynical fans. You just need a large enough sample size to see it.

103. stevezie says:

Diesel: Theory: we are some sad, jaded, cynical fans. You just need a large enough sample size to see it.

I enjoyed this post.

104. DeadmanWaking says:

stephen sheps: Dave Zirin is pretty much the best sports writer ever. well played, sir.

The book I borrowed was so heavy on politics I nicknamed it Game Over: A Sports Troll’s Threadjack Bible.

I started to write a few paragraphs about it, but was interrupted on that occasion. I guess I’ll toss out my unfinished scraps.

***

Lessee here: George Zimmerman (check), Danica Patrick (check), Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker (you get the idea), Tim Thomas, Joel Ward, Anson Carter, Brent Sopel, Sean Avery, Steve Nash, Jesse Owens, Ali, Mubarak, A’ala Hubail of Bahrain (that can’t be good), Pinochet, cost overruns of the Vancouver Olympics, South African World Cup, Frank McBankrupt, Joe Paterno, Billy Jean King, Tim Tebow.

Contrary to what you’re thinking–if you were playing along–Soaps earned his stripes not for putting on a Herculean serving of lean muscle mass in a single off-season, but for “[accepting] an invitation from the Chicago Gay Hockey Association to stand atop its float alongside his team’s Stanley Cup trophy [I've heard it's some kind of shiny mug] at the 2010 Gay Pride Parade.”

No need for comment. By anyone. We’re all grown men here. We can cope with the preferences of others. Walk tall, and zip it.

Here’s one passage for colour:

[Barkley's] retort was sharp: “It bothers me when I hear reporters and jocks get on TV and say: ‘Oh, no guy can come out in a team sport. These guys would go crazy.’ First of all, quit telling me what I think. I’d rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can’t play.

I like that. Among winners, winning comes first. Here’s one sentence I especially liked from Zirin himself, after Blame Canada 2010:

But it’s not just the Olympics. All international sporting events tend to act as neoliberal Trojan horses, preying on our love of sports to enforce a series of policies that would in any other situation be roundly rejected.

Good writing. Extremely political. Dangerously combustible wherever the huddle masses gather to breath fire.

105. G Money says:

Bar_Qu: You had better double-check that with your significant other.

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie: You’re not being attacked. A couple of us misinterpreted your comments and disagreed with you. When you corrected us I think we both said something to the effect of, “Oh. Good then.”

I was simply trying to point out the absurdity of all this “hands” talk and how unproductive it is because it is all so obvious.

You, me and others had a conversation about Smyth’s talent level stemming from a misunderstanding.

Spoiler is convinced I am playing some semantic game about “hands” for some reason. To address this as clearly as possible, I simply re-stated my position, which I am at a loss to find objectionable (some players have better hands than others; some roles don’t require the same hands as others… totally banal)

107. RexLibris says:

Just watched the John Scott hit on Ericksson. I had an idea about how to solve this “problem”, Scott is suspended indefinitely pending a hearing, so why not just “postpone” said hearing for, oh, maybe a season or two? I’m sure the CBA has some sort of Habeus Corpus-like clause in it to keep things like this from happening, but based on what we’ve seen this season can anyone suggest that the NHL wouldn’t be better off without Mr. Scott in its ranks?

108. spoiler says:

Diesel: I didn’t follow the arguments specifically, but I will say that anyone who thinks Ryan Smyth doesn’t have great hands is crazy.

Yep!

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Diesel: Rom you asked a few posts back when discussing Oil Change if Ference’s “November thing” was a one-off. In fact, it happens every Mon Wed Fri. I go fairly often and can say it’s fantastic. http://www.november-project.com

That’s fantastic! good for you and the rest of the participants.

The best part about this is that it was apparently founded by two guys named “Brogan and Bojan.” There is something deeply hilarious about that.

Diesel: but I will say that anyone who thinks Ryan Smyth doesn’t have great hands is crazy.

Not to wade too deeply back into this… but Smyth is top notch in front of the net, tipping and shovelling.

But he’s not very good, let alone great when it comes to what we usually mean by hands, i.e., puck handling, carrying, shooting, dekeing etc. Take one example, there’s a reason he doesn’t drive either zone entries or exits for the team:

Again, this doesn’t mean he lacks talent. Far from it. It simply isn’t part of his game to carry the puck.

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:

My hope was that MacT would see that and realize what he said in the Summer (you have to bring skill to the table with your size) and look for the quickest exit possible for Smac and Gazdic.

Gazdic is a marginal hockey improvement on Smac… maybe more than that, but he’s climbing out of deep, deep well.

The NHL is better without them. As is the AHL and ECHL for that matter.

111. Diesel says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I suppose I should clarify that I’m describing some of his “hand talents” to be great, as opposed to evaluating every facet of this category and concluding the same.

Wraparounds, deflections, bat-ins, dekes in close are all things he excels at – and all things that require “great hands”.

Aside from the occasional set-up pass (which in his case is more so a demonstration of vision than hands), this is where I draw the line in my statement.

112. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Unproductive? I can’t speak for you sir but I come here to escape productivity. With great success, I might add. Probably what attracted me to the conversation in the first place.

RexLibris,

I like John Scott for one reason: He takes things to their logical conclusion. “The code” is such manifest nonsense I cannot believe adults put any stock in it. What difference does Steve Macintyre fighting Stu Grimson make? Was Taylor Hall supposed to tell Eller, “Wait right here, I’m going to go get Mike Brown. When he gets here you better fight him!”

John Scott, on the other hand, is dirty but he makes sense, He goes after Phil Kessel. He doesn’t fight Shawn Thornton, he injures Loui Eriksson (I believe Buffalo still hasn’t gotten over Lucic, but it may have been a coincidence.) John Scott actually changes hockey games.

Yes, hockey is better without players like him. Yes! Please don’t read this as a defence of his role or his actions. But as far as these type of guys go, he makes sense.

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie: Unproductive? I can’t speak for you sir but I come here to escape productivity.

Touche!

stevezie: Scott is also the reason fighting is going to leave the game- guys are getting too strong for bare-knuckles boxing to be medically practical. Dave Schultz was 190 pounds. It’s not the same thing.

I can’t recall where at the moment, but someone recently showed the the era of a super goon, a guy like Scott, who can basically only fights, is a completely new development in hockey.

Basically, the era of guys with so many PIMs and nothing in terms of points isn’t “part of hockey,” it is a new thing we’ve witnessed over the last 2 decades.

My guess/hope is that we might see a return to old time hockey in this respect over the next couple of years.

EDIT: found them:

114. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money: Yes. My married man version: “I thought I was right once, but my wife corrected me!”

Or more likely:
    “I thought I was right once, but my wife corrected me several times!”

115. denny33 says:

spoiler,

Refuse to believe LInus Omark is a worse fill-in that Ryan Jones and Pitlick.

******************************************************************************
    The fanboi love for Linus is entering Schrempeterian gale territory.

***********************************************************************

I concede your point about d- zone starts and Omark’s D play in general. And your point about standing in front of the net.

Your also bang on about no other teams showing any interest for Omark.

People made fun of Mike Brown and his puck handling – Jones has nothing on Mike Brown though….

Regarding Eager – as Bruce pointed out – Eager does not even hit anymore. I believe he recorded no hits in the game against Montreal. Does not fight.

We have injuries and when we get healthy – we will never see Ben Eager again.

For some reason – I think Linus Omark – if given direction / leadership and the right linemates could succeed in this league.

I am on very weak ground here and I realize that ……9.9 times out of 10 I would be arguing the other side…

Again your most salient point is the fact no other NHL team wants him at all…

116. theres oil in virginia says:

stevezie:

RexLibris,

I read this as an attack on the NHL’s ridiculous position regarding fighting, hard hits, etc…the excessively physical side of the game. If so, then I agree whole-heartedly. The NHL advertises the violence of the game more than the skill. When watching the TV feeds of some of the “non-hockey markets” this is especially apparent.
    John Scott shouldn’t exist in the NHL, but if the NHL is going to persist with this model, then John Scott is necessary in the NHL. Hopefully, he and others like him will make it clear even to the dopes running the league that this stuff has got to go. I’m all for having toughness in the league, but this is not toughness, this is grotesqueness.

theres oil in virginia: Or more likely:
    “I thought I was right once, but my wife corrected me several times!”

Best advice I got on marriage was this:

Would you rather be right or happy?

At the start I wanted to be right.

Now I just want to be happy.

As it turned out, being happy was the right choice.

Go figure.

118. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

I agree completely, with the caveat that that only works when you both have that attitude.

Marriage: we hoped for the best….

120. VanOil says:

Oh man 122 posts into the blog on a game night and all I have learned is that if Smyth’s hands are in a marriage it turns into a Russian proverb. I love Oilers fans.

121. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Woodguy: Best advice I got on marriage was this:

Would you rather be right or happy?

At the start I wanted to be right.

Now I just want to be happy.

As it turned out, being happy was the right choice.

Go figure.

122. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy: Best advice I got on marriage was this:

Would you rather be right or happy?

At the start I wanted to be right.

Now I just want to be happy.

As it turned out, being happy was the right choice.

Go figure.

Best marriage advice I ever got was “Don’t!” Did I heed? Oh hell no.

Thankfully our divorce was amicable. We split the house 50/50. She got the inside. I got the outside.

Orrr… She got the house. I got the gate.

123. OilClog says:

Dead Cat Bounce: When your wife runs off with a 25 year old yoga instructor you may change your perspective.

That’s what you get for moving to the island, she makes one hell of a breakfast!

124. G Money says:

This explains *a lot*.

One thing I’m finding this season is that it’s easier pre-game. I’m not so much focused on the wins/losses as the edge in play (field position). The special teams probably decide this game, but the nuts and bolts of the 5×5 are the hill to climb.

126. Fixall with Rexall says:

That Scott hit was terrible. Suspensions and fines do nothing in this instance. I like the idea of confiscating a draft pick for such malicious intentions on both the player and coaching staff. Teams would think twice about employing certain players if it cost them a mid round pick.

127. G Money says:

Lowetide: The special teams probably decide this game, but the nuts and bolts of the 5×5 are the hill to climb.

I actually think that overall the team is playing decently (a lot better than last year), apart from two areas:
    - PK (duh)
    - giveaways on clear possession in the D zone

I am thinking of doing a mini-project on the latter tonight, just to count them by how many, who, and what type… out of curiousity.

128. VanOil says:

Agreed, now that Dubbie is of the Acid, I am no longer quaking at noon about an upcoming Barker or a one wheeled Whitney shift. I am sure some thing in the game will get me swearing though, its just that I am not swearing pre-game.

Platzer with an assist tonight, he’s 12, 4-4-8 now.

130. Jon K says:

Tonight is the first time I’ve bothered to watch Oil Change. Is it always so… Like that?

cabbiesmacker: Best marriage advice I ever got was “Don’t!”Did I heed? Oh hell no.

Orrr… She got the house. I got the gate.

She got the coal mine and you got the shaft?

/Jerry Reed

132. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jon K:

Orrr… She got the house. I got the gate.

This is better:

I bet that would.

135. Rebilled says:

Fixall with Rexall,

How about confiscating a draft pick for ‘possibly’ trying to field a team with no hopes of winning to get high draft picks.

136. VanOil says:

Caps 4th line should feel shame.

I like the start so far, especially that one 4line shift, lordy that was fine. If they could do that every shift I’d forget about Jim Dowd (no I wouldn’t).

138. fuzzy muppet says:

Yak needs to go to the net There. Not circle behind Eberle.

139. VanOil says:

Is the Old Fashioned 8 whole the Caps commentator just mentioned really a thing? and if so what is it?

dubnyk’s had a nice start to this game, that’s vital during this period when Hall is unavailable. Also, looks like they will wait a little longer with Gagner, apparently the jaw area is still quite sore.

141. Zelepukin says:

3rd line had a shaky first shift but other than that, all 4 lines are actually playing effective.

that PP did everything but score.

Pitlick with such a nice play there in his own zone. Really liking this young man in game two.

144. VanOil says:

That little smurf wearing #26 wins a lot of puck battles.

145. Romulus Apotheosis says:

well, things are going well. just need a few notches on the belt here.

146. OilClog says:

26 needs to hit the net!

Is it me.. Or does Eberle pretty much refuse to acknowledge Yak is on the ice with him..

147. OilClog says:

I’m not sure if anyone is watching the Washington feed.. But I’ve been heavily inspired from the powers up top to look into spin class…

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is just SO good on the backcheck. Absolute pick pocket. Shots 12-8, looking forward to the Corsi.

149. SK Oiler Fan says:

Who’s 4th line is this?

Wow. 1-0 Washington.

Yakupov jumped the gun there.

152. Lucinius says:

That’s what Yak needs to learn.

153. hunter1909 says:

Just about to write how much the new NHL rule makes Ovechkin cool instead of having that giant baby seat up his arse…

Dubnyk I’ve been worrying about with OV facing him for the last 5 minutes.

154. VanOil says:

OilClog:

155. hunter1909 says:

Do any old timers recall the last season Oiler’s were a tough away game?

‘We’re playing the Oilers, fuck’ instead of ‘We’re playing the Oilers, two easy points’ like.

156. hunter1909 says:

OilClog:

I’m watching it.

Always prefer away broadcasting, given the blatant unprofessionalism of the Oilers re everything media.

157. B S says:

So to clarify on standards around here. If Yak dives in 1 on 3 it’s a dumb move, but if Hemsky turns the puck over on a 1 on 3 it’s a “would you look at that chance he almost had” right?

158. SK Oiler Fan says:

Damn Faceoffs. To the goalies out there: I know it’s Ovechkin shooting, but shouldn’t DD be a foot or two further out on that? May not make a difference?

B S:

Everyone wants Yakupov to succeed, but he needed to make that shot more difficult. He just did.

160. hunter1909 says:

B S,

Yak was dangerous.

Players like Yak simply NEVER are available in trade…unless it’s the loiser oilers who already break up dynasties.

Like what the fuck – whatever players they get back for Yak are probably going to end up costing more money than Yak – unless they don’t pan out.

161. magisterrex says:

End of a period and the opposing team scores. Colour me unsurprised.

162. alice13 says:

SK, Dubnyk was outside the blue paint I think

Heck of a shot – hit a very small target perfectly.

163. Lois Lowe says:

I have nothing bad to say about the Oilers play in that period other than one(!!) breakdown that lead to the goal. It’s good to see the team do everything that Eakins said they would need to in his presser this afternoon. They had a much better power play because they moved the puck quickly and shot a lot more often. Yak is moving towards his linemates on the rush and you can see the line trying more touch passes in close.

If they play like this through two more periods, they will win the game.

164. B S says:

Actually I was referring to Hemsky’s 1 on 3 the previous shift that turned it over a led to the faceoff in the other zone. People on here always seem to rip Yak when he does it, but Hemsky has been doing it for damn near a decade. Yak needs to take OV there no question, though I’m not sure it would have stopped the goal in this case. I assume he thought he could lift the stick and run with it, but damn that was a hell of a one-timer.

165. striatic says:

SK Oiler Fan: I know it’s Ovechkin shooting, but shouldn’t DD be a foot or two further out on that? May not make a difference?

Alexander Ovechkin in absolutely ideal shooting position?

No difference. Whatever little Dubnyk would have gained by moving forward he’d lose in reaction time and decreased ability to move laterally. If he’s two feet farther forward off the face-off he wouldn’t have even been able to turn to face the shooter, let alone make a save, and there was no time to move forward once Ovi had the puck.

166. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Good period. One snipe and we’re down, but if we play like that for the rest of the game we’ve got a really solid shot.

The PP looked a thousand times better.

167. alice13 says:

Umm, no,
    Yak’s not getting static for what he does when he has the puck

168. Romulus Apotheosis says:

somehow we’re both hovering at 55% CF

ha!

7 shots for the top line, I’ll take that every damn time.

170. jake70 says:

Geez, that PP was the best I think I’ve seen this season, score or not.

171. VanOil says:

Lois Lowe:
    If they play like this through two more periods, they will win the game.

Agreed

172. OilClog says:

VanOil: The spin instructor is nice, his daughter who has been known to work for CBC and the NHL network is very nice. http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/igor-larionovs-daughter-is-ridiculously-hot-especially-in-this-photo.250006531/

Agreed, although.. Is this Yaks reasoning for his misfire so far? It’s always a skirt.

173. SK Oiler Fan says:

striatic,

Yah, agreed after seeing the replay. That play happened very quickly. PeeWee hockey by Yak there. I don’t care if he’s still learning in the NHL. You learn to not do that fly by when you’re 12.

Extra skater has it 16-19 CF 5×5, 5-0 CF 5×4.

175. alice13 says:

ROM,
    now we know what it means to give 110%!!

176. VanOil says:

The Arizona nature of my Center Ice Oilers-Caps channel is not filling me with joy.

177. spoiler says:

Adam Oates has a face-off dot on the back of his head.

178. Wolfie says:

striatic: Alexander Ovechkin in absolutely ideal shooting position?

Dubnyk was far enough out but he didn’t have the angle. He barely shuffled over when the puck got to Ovi. Great shot but he had more to look at than he should have.

179. spoiler says:

How many times does that not get called?

spoiler:
    How many times does that not get called?

Maybe 5% of the time they call that. Maybe.

181. SK Oiler Fan says:

Wow, that’s a weak call. Both were actually

182. Wolfie says:

Soft call on Belov. Didn’t break the guy’s stick and didn’t get him on the hands. Good play crap call.

183. spoiler says:

Maybe the 4th line’s best shift of the year, other than the Gazdic goal.

184. striatic says:

ugh if only Eager had hands..

185. SK Oiler Fan says:

This team lives for the PP. They should bring in a few more divers like the Canucks have. They’d win the east with their PP then.

186. RexLibris says:

striatic:
    ugh if only Eager had hands..

Is that hands or “hands”? Or Han’s?

187. RexLibris says:

Dallas 5 Calgary 1

That Stars team isn’t half bad. Who would’ve thunk it. ;)

188. B S says:

Beauty play by Schultz.

189. Dead Cat Bounce says:

RexLibris:
    Dallas 5 Calgary 1

That Stars team isn’t half bad. Who would’ve thunk it.

Oh, lets see.

190. RexLibris says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Oh, lets see.

I queue’d you up perfectly there.

191. striatic says:

despite the even shot count, it feels like the Oilers have been having the better opportunities, but they haven’t necessarily converted them into shots.

192. Arrgeebee says:

What channel is everyone watching the game on? I have Shaw cable and live in Edmonton and can’t seem to find it anywhere…

193. Andropod says:

Arrgeebee,

Shaw Ch304 free PPV.

194. striatic says:

The lack of pucks actually going into the Washington net is very frustrating.

195. RexLibris says:

Nice shift by Pitlick. He went everywhere he was supposed to on the ice and was in perfect position. Coach’ll be happy with that shift.

Now, about someone scoring…for us, I mean.

196. Arrgeebee says:

Thanks! Never ventured this high in the channel guide.

Newer Comments »